Breaking Bad: A Few Final Thoughts Before the Season 4 Finale

Look, I don't work for TV.com because I have Nostradamus-like powers to predict what's coming up on Desperate Housewives. I'm a TV fan just like you. And though I sometimes have the privilege to screen new TV episodes before they air, I'm just as in the dark as you are about what's going to happen in the finale of Breaking Bad this Sunday (CAN'T. WAIT.).

But that doesn't mean I can't throw my guesses out there willy-nilly. You know me, always hoisting myself up like a piñata so you can beat me with the Stick of Embarrassment when I'm wrong. So let's get this lively discussion started, shall we?

First off, I'd just like to say that you guys are killing it in the comments. Many of you have shared great insights; I'm, like, totally proud of you guys. Breaking Bad's fourth season has been particularly great—I covered the show last year, too, and the discussion was much more subdued. Either this season is generating more interest, or people are finally coming around to what is without a doubt the best show currently on television, and possibly in the history of the medium. Yeah, I said it. At the very least, Breaking Bad belongs in the same sentence as The Wire, The Sopranos, and Kid Nation.

Anyway, since perusing your comments on the story I wrote about "End Times," I've had a complete change of heart regarding the events of the episode. Basically, I suggested that we could immediately rule out Jesse and Walter as potential Brock-poisoners. But I wasn't so sure Gus could've done it, either. In retrospect, I realized that I took the easy way out by praising the ambiguity of the situation. I still think that vagueness of it all is amazing, but where's the fun in not picking a side? So I've decided on a position, which I will now try to articulate here:

Walter Jr. poisoned Brock.

No, no, no. Obviously not. But I am fully on board with the theory that Walter did. I'll try and explain, but @Hungry_Homer111 (who was a champion commenter on my Lost stories, what's up buddy!) laid it out pretty well and had me convinced. Now, please allow me to tweak his theory a bit.

We know that the scene where Walter spun his gun was significant. It pointed to Walter twice, and then on the final spin it pointed toward the plant—which was obscured by Walter's bald noggin until the camera tracked around it. Clearly, the the plant was significant. I don't think it was a Castor Oil plant (Castor Oil plants are used to make the poison Ricin), but seeing it was enough to jog Walter's memory and inspire him to devise his breakingest baddest plan yet. One in which he'd risk a kid's life to win his chess match with Gus.

Jesse has always been the key to the Gus vs. Walt Battle Royale. Whoever has Jesse on his side has the advantage, and Walt figured out how to exploit Jesse's weakness for children, particularly those he's connected to. And the way to do that was to make Jesse believe that Gus poisoned Brock. Remember, both Walter and Gus have shown a knack for poisoning people, those sneaky fools. Be a man! Use a gun! Or your fists! But I digress...

After Walt's gun pointed toward the plant, I'm guessing that Walt put in a call to Saul (Better call Saul!) and explained that he could get rid of Gus if Saul could help. I like the theory that Jesse (and many of you) suggested, with Huell (Saul's burly bodyguard) planting a fresh pack of cigs in Jesse's jacket during his aggressive frisk. If you slow down the frisking scene frame by frame (which I nerdily did), you can't actually see it happen. But you can see Huell pay particularly close attention to Jesse's left jacket pocket. Here's the search in slo-mo, if you want to take a close look at it:

Later, when Jesse smoked a cigarette outside the hospital, we didn't see which pocket he took the cigarettes from, but the pack was in his left hand... leading me to believe Jesse keeps his smokes in his left pocket. Who reaches into his right pocket with his left hand? Have you ever done that? Right hand's full of groceries, but your house keys are in your right pocket? It's awkward! I should know! I do it every frickin' time I come home from the store! There was also a scene where Jesse bolted for the hospital after receiving a phone call from Andrea (right after he visited Saul), and as he leaves, the camera momentarily focused on the jacket as Jesse picked it up. I don't think that was accidental. Vince Gilligan wanted us to be thinking about that jacket.

Jesse put two and two together, freaked out, and headed over to Walt's to confront him. Which is exactly what Walt wanted Jesse to do. Walt told Jesse his sob story in order to plant the seed that Gus was behind everything, and Jesse pointed the gun (probably unloaded?) at Walt. At which point Walt masterfully let Jesse scream out his accusations, then deflected the blame toward Gus. Walt dared Jesse to shoot him, the final piece in his (Walt's) acting performance of a lifetime, and finished convincing Jesse that Gus is their common enemy.

Walt's car bomb plan was obviously botched, leaving the final hour of this season completely up in the air. But that's for the writers to handle. And I think it's going to be the last time we see Giancarlo Esposito in this role, as Gus is gonna get it.

Admittedly, there are a few holes in my cigarette theory. How did Saul know how many cigarettes Jesse had smoked? Did Jesse really not smoke a cigarette between going to Saul's and going to the hospital? I don't know, man!

The incredible thing is, one can easily make a convincing argument that Gus poisoned Brock. In fact, the situation is so cloudy that someone could probably convince me Brock just ate some week-old Pollos Hermanos macaroni salad. But the future of the series is what has me convinced it was Walt.

This season is, as we've all been saying all along, the season that Walt goes full-on Heisenberg. And what better way to go H-bomb than for him to put a child's life in danger and lie to Jesse all so he can take out Gus, who is basically Walter a few years from now? It's the moment we've all been waiting for, the moment that will make it impossible to doubt that Walter has truly broken bad and embraced his inner Heisenberg. And I see Walter letting Gus know that he defeated him before he finishes him off.

With that arc complete, Season 5 will focus on Walter being the baddest motherf***er on the block, his agonizing fall from power, and ultimately, his death as a broken, ruined man. Once Walt becomes the antagonist, Hank will become his chief rival, and just to make this preposterous prediction even more nutso, Jesse will take over the Heisenberg mantle that was passed down from Gus onto Walter. At least, that's my guess... it's probably wrong.

We still have the finale to go, but is it safe to say that this season has been Breaking Bad's best? Personally, I think the series keeps getting better and better, and that's insane because I LOVED Season 1. Which means I super-love Season 4. What do you think?

Additional Notes:

– I stand by what I said about "End Times" being a step down in quality from the previous episodes, and here's why: "End Times" is really the first part of a two-part episode, whereas the others were complete stories. Once we get a look at the finale, the quality of "End Times" might rise in hindsight, and probably will. Until then, it's an incomplete chapter. It's still amazing though!

– @Aldoros23: No live-Tweeting for me! Especially when I'm going to be glued to my TV for the finale. I'd be happy to live-Tweet something stupid like Whitney, though!

– No matter what happens in the finale, I just want to say it's been a blast! What show will we all get together to chat about once Breaking Bad is over? Sons of Anarchy? Fringe? Last Man Standing? Or will we all just curl up in the fetal position with a bad case of post-Breaking Bad depression?

Oct 10, 2011
The only reason i would not think that Walk would poison the child is the whole reason for theshow is to provide for his own and since he would have no idea if jesse would find out the kid was poisoned in time to save him i doubt he would have done it. But if walt knew jesse would find out in time to save him then yes walt may have done it then but only if that was the case.

Gus def is on him last legs in the show i think as he has been around to long and is getting to powerful and crazy.

If gus has someone on inside i would vote for hanks friend that did the search at the laundry:) why i would choose him is that he took an extra long look at spot where the way down to basement is when he was searching to see if it safely hidden:)
Oct 10, 2011
we all know that gus has someone on the inside due to the trailer for this weeks episode - its probably hank. This show likes to shock us, that would be shocking! Gus did save his life.
Oct 10, 2011
I think it might've been Walter who poisoned Brock (brilliant plan!), but I hope it wasn't because if Jesse found out it would ruin their relationship. They couldn't come back from that. That would be even worse than if Jesse found out Walt could've saved Jane.... So for the sake of their relationship I do very much hope Gus did it
Oct 10, 2011
@ Tim

You forgot to mention the Cartel ( whatever is left of it ) having videotapes of Jesse cooking meth. And Gus ,most likely, alsohas Videos of Walt and Jesse cooking meth in large Quantities at the superlab hank is about to find. Also when Ted was beeing forced to pay the IRS he made it clear that he "cant" pay his bills. Maybe he allready had an arrangement with someone else? Maybe he made a deal to Handover Skylare and Walt to the IRS? Wil all that surface in the finale or will it have to wait untill next season?
Oct 10, 2011
"A major character will almost certainly be off'd"

Why? With season 5 being the finish to a masterpiece, why would any of the main characters NEED to be removed? For the VIEWERS ? I don't think so. While death could lead one of the leads to being pushed over the edge, so could the mere iminate threat. All of the deaths so far have been ancillary characters unneeded for the storyline intensity. Face-Off to me indicates more intanglements. Hank/Walt, Hank/Gus, Gus/Jesse, Jesse/Andrea, Jesse/Walt, Walt/Skyler, Skyler/IRS, they are all strands in the web. Why unravel any part of the tapestry now??

Or it could just be a bloodbath. But I don't think so....
Oct 10, 2011
Thoughts about season finale-

-Walt did try to poison the kid and used Saul to poison him cause ONLY Saul knew where the Kid lived. He also did that trick with Jesse which everyone is commenting about. "Poison" would not be the right word to use because maybe Walt only wanted to aggravate things so that his plan comes into action. Saul is known to bring people out of dirty situations. That will also explain the suspicion of Gus at the parking lot.

-Gus most probably will die.

-Without Gus, next season would probably be about Heisenberg (Walt) vs DEA (Hank).

-In the end, Walt would die from cancer. The thing that started the series would end it.
Oct 11, 2011
Nice to see, most of my prediction turned out to be correct... Except the cancer thing.... That would turn out to be true next season...

It is actually sad to be right about breaking bad and not be surprised.
Oct 09, 2011
Well, my predictions are that Walt will be put in a position where he has to shoot Steven Gomez. Hank or Walt Jr. will find out the truth about Walt. Skylar will shoot someone. Marie is killed by Gus. Jessie runs.
Oct 09, 2011
Skyler is going die tonight. You read it here first. It was either her or Marie. And if the writers were going to kill Marie this season, they probably would have given her more screen time and a larger story line...like-uh oh, Skyler?
Oct 10, 2011
If any of the women dies it should be Marie. Skyler is awesome and so smart. If Marie dies it would also aggrivate Hank and that would be a big factor of next season if it's Walt vs DEA (Hank).
Oct 10, 2011
"Skyler is so smart." Are we watching the same show?!
Oct 10, 2011
Skylermustdie.com

Nuff said. About frackin high time too. Unless the writers check their balls out before sitting down to bring it to paper. I do have a pen, if you need a line or two to that end...
Oct 09, 2011
Final thoughts before said finale---

Walt did it. That would also explains Gus' Jedi mind- trick...he figured it out. Smart dude... I would also like to believe that Brock won't die. or at least, if he did, Walter would be surprised, as that was not his intention. As for who's a goner?

-can't be Walt

-won't be Jesse

-possibly Gus, but that's most obvious,

-Marie's barely been on screen this season, so.... maybe??

-heal Hank only to kill him off? that would be too cruel...

-Walt Jr? na...

that leaves us with.....drum roll please
Oct 09, 2011
Yay go Tim :-)

you put the pieces together.

Btw, Smokers usually don't count their cigarettes. If my box was missing 6 cigarettes I would just assume I smoke too much.
Oct 09, 2011
NOOOO! i cant go a whole 9 months without my breaking bad! Who else is for the idea that there should be a 10-part finale??
Oct 10, 2011
When does season 5 start?
Oct 10, 2011
not sure but judging from the premier dates of the past seasons we might have to wait for about 14 months. i guess you cant rush perfection
Oct 08, 2011
I cannot say I think this was the best season of Breaking Bad, and I have watched the series from day one. Whatever season it was when Walt let Jesse's girlfriend choke to death on her own vomit while he watched, that was the best season IMO. And that brings up a matter that might support Walt poisoning the child. Walt has done so many evil things since he broke bad, but it seems to be there are a few truly horrifying moments that define him, such as the one I mentioned. In the end Walt does what he needs to do to survive. No matter how much further it takes him into an evil place from which there is no return. That is the price he pays for all he has gained financially and in the discovery that he not a Milquetoast after all. He's gone down a road from which there is no return, and this season he took Skyler with him. At first I didn't like that subplot, but I get it now. That said, like all great TV antiheroes, like Tony Soprano, Dexter Morgan, and Walt, in spite of their badness, we like them. I think it's because they play by their own rules, and who among us doesn't envy that, at least in theory.
Oct 08, 2011
OMG, minute 31 of the Salud episode. That's when the bug on Walts glasses makes the first appearance. Walt Jr. didn't call his mom, but being worried about his dad, I bet he called Hank. Hank fixed the glasses. Hank planted the bug. Hank is onto Walt. It's been a long con, like Salon's Seitz speculated.
Oct 09, 2011
please explain the 'bug on walts glasses'. iv watched the episodes but didnt see any bug on walts glasses.
Oct 09, 2011
The bug is on the bridge of his glasses. You see it most clearly in the final shot of End Times. http://i56.tinypic.com/kcclnd.png
Oct 09, 2011
hahahaha definitely just a normal piece of the glasses. it is the metal bit that holds the nose pieces in place. on all glasses.
Oct 09, 2011
well my glasses are bugged too :-) this a standard part but I would have liked the idea with Walt being bugged, I am certain he is not.
Oct 09, 2011
post BB depression for me :-(
Oct 08, 2011
did anyone else see the big bodyguard actually stick his hand in his own pocket after searching Jesse? It's there!
Oct 08, 2011
This one tips the scales(for me) to Gus being responsible for Brock's sickness. What tipped off Tyrus that Jesse was at the hospital?? Tyrus, who normally has been Walt's flea, just happens to show up for Jesse ??? I don't think so. I think Gus put Tyrus on Jesse after getting Brock hospitalized. Whether by illness or payroll(I still think Andrea could be Gus' plant), Gus is responsible.

If Walt left his place to poison Brock, TYRUS(who SHOULD have been tracking Walt) would have followed him, told Gus, and Gus would have EXPOSED Walt to Jesse!!!
Oct 08, 2011
and Brock's mother would have seen him also, right? (well, she would have seen him visiting with some excuses, whatever) and wouldn't she tell Jesse? "Hey, your friend came by today"... or something? Or anybody else for that matter...

I don't think that the boy was poisoned by anybody. It's probably something he ate. But it's a hell of a good play by the writers.

We're into "who shot J.R." again!

But hey, this is Gilligan's highland... Sunday, we're all gonna go: "WHAT!!!"
Oct 08, 2011
Whatever happens, I know the downfall of Gus is not going to be a simple one. The man has been in business for 20 years. He knows how to one up his enemies. But of course, that was all before he met Heisenburg.

Honestly, I hope the Walt poisoning Brock theory is wrong because that probably will be what happens. Kudos to the people who predicted it, but now I am expecting it lol. No surpise and that sucks. Oh, well, Im sure the finale will still be b****ing.
Oct 08, 2011
I'm in the exact same boat lol. It is pretty brilliant but now I'm totally expecting it, but hey, this season has been mind blowing, still is pretty genius even though a lot of people thought of it...excluding me.
Oct 08, 2011
what about the time that ricin needs to take effect, have we factored it in.
Oct 08, 2011
The genius thing is that if Walt really did it, there is a possibility that he poisoned Brock with something else, that Brock will be okay and that the notion that Walt poisoned him will become an overlying tension to be exposed. Jesse not knowing or disagreeing with Walt's plan. If he didn't know Walt did it, even if Barack or Brock whatever gets better then it becomes another secret between the two just like Walt letting Jane die
Oct 08, 2011
I've seen comments from Mr. Cranston about the season finale, and he says it'll come down to the last scene, the last shot, where we viewers will see (and hopefully figure out) who poisoned Brock. Some bloggers say the plant pictured above is one that causes "poison-like" symptoms so it may be possible Walt's behind it.

As for this: "And I think it's going to be the last time we see Giancarlo Esposito in this role, as Gus is gonna get it." While Hank and the DEA were the original antagonists in Season 1, Gus has proven to be Walt's rival, therefore he will survive into the next and final season. I don't see Gus dying this Sunday, and the boys spend all of next season ducking from the DEA.
Oct 08, 2011
WOW. So, before reading this, I was completely convinced it was Gus who poisoned Brock. I assumed that after Jesse told him if anything 'final happened to Mr. White' there were going to be problems. And Gus replied, there will be 'an appropriate response'. So, I figured Gus was like, hmmm if I can't kill Walter White to get Jesse's attention maybe I will poison the kid... seeing as Jesse never explicitly ruled that out. And, Gus didn't blink when Jesse said that Brock was poisoned.

Now, after reading this, I think it quite possible that Walt poisoned Brock. However, if he did I think he becomes a lot less sympathetic. It is one thing to run over two gangsters with a mini-van to save your partner's life, but another thing to bring a child into the mix.

But then again, who maniacally laughs when they have a gun pointed at their face? This could be the turning point for Heisenberg, however, if he did do it makes me lose a lot of respect for Walt.
Oct 08, 2011
Walt let Jane die, that was the beginning of the decent.
Oct 08, 2011
He did... but she was a meth addict who brought the possibility of over dosing on herself and was in control of her own actions, while Brock is just a small child who didn't do anything to deserve being poisoned. In my mind they are two different situations. Whoever it turns out to be who poisoned Brock, Sunday is going to be EPIC.
Oct 08, 2011
I agree that, in one way, I'd lose a lot of respect for Walt if it happened. For somebody to use a kid like that, and also hurt somebody close to a person who they're supposed to be friends/partners with would make him a lot less sympathetic in people's eyes. Though that would be the point, and a big part of the series is to show, under what cercumstances can somebody be pushed to cross lines they never thought they'd be able to cross, so it would certainly fit with the show's themes. That being said, I made a post a few weeks back saying that Walt was so far away from becoming Heisenberg, because he let his fear and need for an adrenaline rush guide his actions, without thinking things through logically. If this theory turns out to be right, this and his plan to escape in the previous episode seem to point to Walt finally developing that combination of bad-ass action and logic that it would take to become Heisenberg. Of course, neither plan went as planned, which shows he has some things to learn before he gets there. Specifically, he has to account for every possibility, no matter how unlikely (the missing money), and consider the mindset of everybody involved (not just focusing on what Jesse would do when he found out about the cigarette and heard Walt's explanation, but also consider Gus' thought process after hearing about the kid being poisoned). So I'd respect him more in terms of his progression towards the smart bad-ass that Heisenberg should be.
More +
Oct 08, 2011
We still don't know if he is poisoned by the Ricin, both Jesse and Walt know that Gus has them under surveillence, what if this is all a ruse to get to Gus? we don't see every text Jesse and Walt send to each other.
Oct 08, 2011
Um... I'm still stuck on the part about The Wire, The Sopranos, and Kid Nation being the best shows ever. I think not.
Oct 08, 2011
What are the best shows, then?
Oct 08, 2011
I'm glad to hear that I, and other people who agree with the Walt theory, convinced you. Though I've been thinking, since I posted in the last article, about the great atmosphere of paranoia the writers have created this season. Between the characters' own paranoia (especially Walt's), fact that everybody's facing threats from so many sides (especially Gus and Walt), and the vagueness of some key plot elements this season (most notably Gus' intentions for most of the season, and this poisoning), it's easy to get caught up in the paranoia that the writers have set up so well. That's why it's easy to at least accept the possibility my theory will be wrong, and look so foolish in hindsight, although I'm standing firmly on my theory. I've also got to say that, while I don't really buy into the "Brock took the poison by himself" theory, given the paranoia surrounding the season, I think it would be a great statement if the writers went that route. Either way, I'm very excited to see where they take things in the next episode.
Oct 08, 2011
Come on, tell me I'm not the only one believing into the "Paranoia Theory" (read my initial comment at the bottom of this section).
Oct 08, 2011
"I had the cigarette this morning and the last time I saw Brock was last night. There's no way Brock could have taken it." -- Jesse to Walt.
FYI: Ricin

If ingested, symptoms may be delayed by up to 36 hours but commonly begin within 24 hours. These include a burning sensation in mouth and throat, abdominal pain, purging and bloody diarrhea. Within several days there is severe dehydration, a drop in blood pressure and a decrease in urine. Unless treated, death can be expected to occur within 35 days; if victims have not succumbed after this time, they often recover.

The lethal dose in adults is considered to be 4 to 8 seeds.

Toxicity varies among animal species: 4 seeds will kill a rabbit, 5 a sheep, 6 an ox or horse, 7 a pig, and 11 a dog. Ducks have shown substantial resistance to the seeds: it takes an average of 80 to kill them.

Oct 08, 2011
I love the idea that Walter is the one behind the poisoning, but I think the biggest thing to look for in this finale is going to be a death that catches you off guard. Gus is the first that comes to mind when death is mentioned here, but what if that's the red herring, and the big death will be another key character. Jesse might figure out that Walt was the one who did the poisoning and try to save Gus, dying in the process. Or maybe Hank, Skylar or even Walt Jr will take a fall or be murdered by Gus/Jesse. That would definitely be a good tipping point for the great Heisenberg to finally show up.
Oct 08, 2011
Any death feels like it will be obvious, so if they really want to surprise the audience they will work on the death being unexpected. Richie Aprille killed by Janice out of nowhere style.
Oct 08, 2011
If Gus kills someone (or all) of Walt family it would bring out Heisenberg but would also bring Jesse back to Walt.

Where is Mike? How would he react to Gus killing innocent people, kids? He has a grandchild.Will Mike kill Gus at the start of next season because he killed one (or both) of Walt's kid?

We still need to know why the Cartel's boss didn't kill Gus: "The only reason you are alive is because I know who you are... but you're not in Chile anymore". War criminal? Human right criminal? Will Hector notify the US authorities about his real identity for revenge?

Walter jr. and the baby are the only characters who have absolutely no importance in the storyline. The baby is always with Skylar. That is why I think that Walter jr. is the one who will get killed.
Oct 08, 2011
If Gus was somebody important in Chile perhaps they laid that in so that next season Gus's "cousins" can come and be silent killers trying to take down the guy who killed their family member, oh wait they already did that with Tuco
Oct 08, 2011
What show will we all get together to chat about once Breaking Bad is over?

That's easy.....BOSS

The only offering already renewed!! (without airing any episodes)
Oct 08, 2011
I must admit, I am intrigued by the concept and am looking forward to that show.
Oct 07, 2011
As I mentioned in another thread... Gus poisoned the cartel lords using something with quick effect, with Walt completely unaware of any of that... so hes suspicious. It looks a bit too obvious, specially since the show has always been brilliantly unpredictable. So I will let them just surprise me. I think Gus will survive until the next season... specially since in this one they focused on his past dealings with el Cartel and Hank is already on his tail. I believe in the next season there are many possible outcomes, Walt goes bad all the way and gets caught, he makes a deal with Hank to take Gus down, or Cancer brings him down.... or he can fake dying and leave... still, what a great show!!
Oct 07, 2011
Yeah I never thought about it but after reading the comments I'm 100% convinced Walt poisoned Brock. Kinda wish I didn't as that would've totally surprised me, but oh well. I do agree that this is by far the best season of Breaking Bad, it's quality just keeps getting better. And yes, we can chat about Sons of Anarchy when this is over as it is my favorite show. SOA and Breaking Bad are lightyears ahead of anything else on tv atm.
Oct 07, 2011
i'm like 95% - at first, i thought no way, but at the end too, Jesse mentions the "poisoned" to Gus. Gus at first dismisses this, but then in the parking lot, he thinks it through. that's why he avoided the car.
Oct 07, 2011
No no no, the ending is different. Would like to hear your opinion about this...

The poisoning story has a death ending (although Walter did it, that's for sure). I think it's to small and complicated to be a part of the last episode, but will come back in the next season (might also be the cliff hanger at the end of the hour, so they're sure we will all watch season 5).

The ending will be as the following > Gus isn't going to die. He's to good of an actor and the last big 'drug lord' standing. He will be put aside (Hank, or Skyler (as washmachine expert) finds something strange in the pictures after all) and he get's arrested. In the next season he will give orders from out of prison to get rit of Walter.

There has to be a bigger cliffhanger though, then just the poisoning (which is a way to complicated story already to be any good > There will be another season of Walter and Jessie fighting, and nobody is in the mood for that, right?). Anybody any idea?
Oct 07, 2011
I don't belive that the poisoning story has a death ending... because it was already a catalyst for the episode to put jasse and walt in the same room. I really hope that they keep gus in the cast, becuse he is fantastic, and also because we need to know who gus really is. Still dont think that walt poisoned the kid... think about it. How and when he had the chance to poison brock?
Oct 08, 2011
he says himself he is a big part of that hospital. he could have paid anybody to do it for him...of course he did not do it personally.
Oct 07, 2011
Yes, Gus would kill a kid. But would he risk to annoy his new cook? I don't think so.

Whoever did it, the only one who benefits from the kid's poisoning is Walt. Gus lost his cook for a week, the whole family is hysterical (except Hank) Jesse is upside down and Saul is in panic.

For Walter to become the Heisenberg bad-ass we all expect, Gus will have to kill someone from his family. I think he's gonna kill his son. And that is how it will end the season.
Oct 07, 2011
Awe, haha. Wouldn't that be a shame? Walt Jr. was practically snubbed for all of season 3. To kill him at the end of 4 would just be sad.

I think it's obvious it's Walt. And I think the reason for that is because he needs to be the chess-master villain. He will do what others won't to get one-up on his enemies. Targeting Brock does make sense, considering the end of Crawl Space. Walt goes to the door, and there's that scene where he's looking in and sees Brock. Up to that point, I don't know if Walt ever knew about the kid. All Walt ever knew was Jesse's natural affection for children. Putting two and two together makes sense to manipulate him.

If Gus' manipulation strategy over Jesse was to make him feel useful (i.e. Shotgun,) then Walt's is his love for kids. Pretty sick if you ask me, and I love it. Can't wait for Sunday.
Oct 07, 2011
You're right about the other thing: Mike is on the driver side... still, I don't think he was aiming at Jesse. The director would have shown it to us more obviously.
Oct 08, 2011
"The director would have shown it to us more obviously"

Exactly my argument for the current debate about the frisking...
Oct 07, 2011
have only one question: if really Walt poisoned Brock, when he did it? he should go to Jesse home , with the danger to find his girlfriend and Brock there... And dont forget that Walt is scared to be seen on the street (thats why he is barricaded in his house,waiting), And Gus didn't do it either, cos Gus more intelligent soldier (Mr. White) is out of the game... And I don't think that Gus would do such think as killing a kid. I think the more 'logical' and also simple explanation is that Brock smokes the cigarette secretly (as many kids do). Simple as that. Try to think if everything eventually works out fine and they became ''friends'' again ... against the DEA. I hate the idea of Gus leaving the scene. But I'm afraid that Gus is gonig to die and there will be a new character in next season
Oct 08, 2011

Brock is always with his mother. I don't know if he goes to school. Could someone got him there? Or maybe he's just sick of something else with similar symptoms. Only Jesse said it was Ricin poisoning. The doctor never said it. And if the doc would have find that out wouldn't he have called the cops? Isn't that "attempted murder"? Ricin doesn't come from spoiled food.

Which leaves the Q What happened to the cig.? I think Gus, with his surveillance system, maybe heard about it in a discussion between Walt and Jesse and had it lifted off while Jesse was cooking. If he new about the plot that would also explain his hesitation when he returned to the car.
Oct 08, 2011
Or he just forgot to put it back in the new pack... and everybody's panicking because of the tension. (yeah I know, I like my theory a bit too much)
Oct 07, 2011
If Walt did it then I don't think that he was expecting Jesse to come after him but that he would immediately suspect Gus. Either it is Walt, Saul or Gus the question is still: "How was it done?"

My mind is kinda blocked with this show, right now, because I know that, whatever we come up with, the end will definitely be something that we never expected... as usual.
Oct 07, 2011
Based on comments that Cranston himself has made about Mr White this season I wouldn't put it too far past him to do it. I'm just so damn confused and loving it.
Oct 07, 2011
I'd like to point something out with regards to Vince Gilligan's sleight of hand. It's totally within the realm of possibility that Huell could have lifted the cigarettes (granted the few logical questions that follow,) because this show doesn't care if you notice something or not. And I LOVE that. I'll give you a fairly frightening example: I watched the ending of "Salud" a few times (namely because it's so badass...likewise with Crawl Space,) and noticed a sort of muted action from Mike. Just as he's asking Jesse to go around the car to the passenger-side AND just before he's (Mike) shot, Mike pulls his gun on Jesse. The draw is so sudden, and the bullet that takes Mike down is so immediate, I didn't catch it the first or second time. An argument can be made that he's aiming at the gunman, but from where the bullet hits Mike, the angle's completely off. I think Jesse was supposed to be dead at the end of Salud. What does that say about Gus' plans in the subsequent episodes? His motivations? Watch the scene and tell me what you think.
Oct 07, 2011
Yes, I remember this scene as well. I believe some of us mentioned it in the review for that episode. It certainly looked like Mike was about to shoot Jesse. Since it hasn't been brought up again, I just assume that maybe Mike saw the shooter first and was trying to draw on him, but Jesse was just kind of in the way. Also, Mike was on the driver's side. He was going to drive, but after he got shot up, he told Jesse to drive.
Oct 07, 2011
nah. It just look like that because of the angle of the camera and the fact that Mike was moving the gun from his right to his left when the bullet hit the car, near him, and then he got shot before he retaliated. Anyway, why would Gus want to kill Jesse when he's exactly where he wants him to be?
Oct 07, 2011
By the way, I think it's funny that he avoided both Mike's bullet AND the tequila. Two shots that would have killed him. ZING!
Oct 07, 2011
I just watched the scene again to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering. You can't tell me he was moving his pistol from his right hand to his left. There is a clear moment of "aiming" and firing stance. If he wanted to adjust his carrying hand, any normal person would do so either in the car, or at the hip. He pulls it out and aims it at the back of Jesse's head.

The question I asked, and you did as well, is why would Gus want Jesse dead? I believe Gus wanted to get close to Don Eladio. He did so by presenting Jesse as his cook. We all know what Don Eladio does to Gus' cooks, so using Walt in this endeavor would be sacrificing his big fish. By bringing Jesse, I think Gus only planned for him to cook one good batch, then participate in the party. I guess the only problem that presents is, why would Gus not want Jesse to drink the poison tequila? Regardless, Jesse has time and again proven to be an ace in the hole. And I think that's the point of this season: Jesse proving himself to be useful. It may explain why Gus has kept him in his plans. But going back to the scene...I seriously believe Mike intended to shoot him. Watch it again, maybe I'm crazy. And if it's true, Mike intended to kill him at that point, the question again is, why?
More +
Oct 07, 2011
Not right hand... right side to left side. I watched with frame-by-frame. Beside, Mike is on the passenger side so Jesse will drive. If he was planning to kill him he would have stayed on the driver side after he helped Gus to get in.
Oct 07, 2011
I'm looking at an animated GIF of it, and it is intriguing. But I will say for certain that Mike IS on the driver's side.
Oct 07, 2011
Speaking along those lines, does anyone remember a few episodes back when Walt asked Jesse for a cigarette after learning that he was unlikely to poison Gus?

I'm not sure but I think Jesse might have handed him the pack instead of an individual cigarette...food for thought
Oct 07, 2011
Reading through these makes me wonder about one character who now has a motive to hurt Jessie. Hector. He didn't know about the ricin but he may still play a part next season. Sangre para sangre, and who does Jessie love?
Oct 07, 2011
Moreover, I think the DEA will make a breakthrough with the hidden lab with Walt handprints and Hank will protect Walt from the DEA but will mess up and won't be able to turn Walt in without putting himself at risk.

I've always thought that the last season of Breaking Bad would be Walt vs Jesse.

Since what happened in Mexico and considering that both of them can cook, I've come to think that Jesse and Mike will take the Cartel and that Walt and Saul will keep the New Mexico market until both of Walt and Jesse die.
Oct 07, 2011
Crazy Theory, crazy if true, but not bad. The thing is I still think it was Gus. Only because I think Gus walked away from the car bomb as a result of how Jessie answered him when he asked him how Brock got poisoned. Jessie said he did know how Brock could have been posioned and I just assumed that because it was Gus they both knew the truth about the risine. That means that Jessie couldn't fess up or Gus for that reason. That's why he let him stay off until the next week. Gus knows about the poison and so maybe he suspected Walt was on it somehow and he just had to walk away.

Also I assumed Jessie was followed to Walt's house when he went there, so when they saw him come out this would mean they knew it wasn't going their way.
Oct 07, 2011
OMG, this is kind of brilliant.

And I hope it's true.
Oct 07, 2011
@Hungry_Homer111 is spot on in his theories. It is completely within Walt's evolving psychopathy to poison Brock, manipulating Jesse into eliminating Gus and winning Jesse back in the process. Walt's domination of Jesse has been a central element of the emergence of Walt's Heisenberg phenomenon, a relationship unlike any other in his life and though fraught with its issues, has come to mean a great deal to Walt in his own twisted way. To Walt's mind, Gus is the problem between and before them, not Walt's own many actions. As a chemist, Walt is aware that ricin is less toxic if ingested rather then injected or inhaled, and that if caught early will likely lead to recovery. And if the child does not recover, well that is acceptable collateral damage directly affecting only Jesse anyway, and he already knows how to deal with Jesse's fallout over significant losses, doesn't he?

It is also completely plausible that Saul and Huell are into the poisoning plot up to their eyeballs. Walt and Jesse, with their foibles and money laundering, pesky wives and secret girlfriends, are cash cows for the slimey solicitor; Saul has a deep interest in their continued good health and earnings. It would not bother Saul in the least if a child was harmed because he has no fear of retaliation where as he would never have been engaged in a similar plan if Gus was the target; he is rightly too frightened of Mike. Additionally, as if his own greed were not motivator enough, Walt would have a great argument for Saul owing him big time because Saul and Skyler hatched the whole Ted scheme and Saul never clued Walt in.

I am on tenterhooks for the next episode. Seriously a pinnacle for television here. As for what to do after Sunday, I love Fringe and SOA, but with the exception of Walter Bishop (John Noble) neither present the level of intensity or starkness of humanity, nor the depth or development in the characters and the moment-to-moment, episode-to-episode grip of Breaking Bad. There truly is nothing like it nor nothing to compare it to.
Oct 07, 2011
Just a quick reminder: if Walter did actually kill Brock (there is no antidote to ricin) then he killed Jesse's love (Jane) and his surrogate son. I can imagine that, if Jesse finds out, he won't be happy about it.
Oct 07, 2011
I think the best ending (and a tribute to the all the TV theorists), would be at the last moments of the finale, right after Gus getting killed, cut to a flashback of Brock stealing and smoking the cigarette (maybe showing him all wide eyed at Jessie like "he's so cool I'm gonna be like him"). Or show a montage of Jessie killing Gus with flashes of the Brock stealing the cigarette (although I don't think BrBa does montages)..That would be the ending no would see coming, and would show how all these dangerous men in their illegal drug world were at each others throats, all because of one simple act from a child. It would also somewhat mirror the plane crash ending of the previous season. I like it.
Oct 07, 2011
On a different note, also don't forget about the bug that's planted in the nose guard of Walt's glasses (final shot of the episode). Who knows what Gus has listened in on, and what he knows at this point?
Then Gus should re-listen to Walt's demoniac laughter
Oct 07, 2011
It looks like my comment was cut off. I was just gonna finish saying that the scale of justice is prominately displayed in one of the frames--right smack in the middle of the shot. That's a cue that we should focus on that image, whch we'll see again in the form of the "eyes"/"OO" just a few seconds later. Also, Walt's got Saul over a barrel. Saul called the DEA, and Saul's totally screweed if Gus finds out. So Saul might have been persuaded to go along, or might have been blackmailed.
Oct 07, 2011
It would be great if Walt had actually done it, but I don't think so. It just doesn't seem viable considering how last episode was setup. It would be too Deus Ex Machina for my taste. And it would be a too cheap plot twist for these guys. Breaking Bad usually does this kind of thing with a lot more finesse, in a way the viewer would never feel cheated. You usually would be able to tell if something like this (Walt poisoning the boy) had really happened. Like I knew Gus was a genius when Walt said something like "I spent the whole day waiting for Gus to send someone to kill me, and it was you all along".

I could be wrong, though.
Oct 07, 2011
I would only add a couple of things. When Saul tells Huell to lock the door after Jesse gets frisked, he instead closes the blinds. And I think that is a signal to Walt who's presumably outside waiting and watching (that's 90 percent of the job as Hank told him, and as Mike told Jessie). The two "O"s being held up by the scale of justice in the "GOODMAN" lettering on the window also kind of look like eyes, and Huell is looking right through them as he closes the blinds. That may also symbolically suggest that Walt's watching. Also, in the earlier shot in the frisking scene, there's a scale of justice that's prominently displayed in one of the wall frames right smack dab in the center of the shot. That's a cue that we should focus on that image, whch we'll see again in the form of the "eyes"/"OO" just a few seconds later.

Also, I'd add Saul may not have been simply persuaded by Walt to go along. Walt's got Saul over a barrel. Saul called the DEA, and Saul's totally screwed if Gus finds out. Walt may have told him--go along with my plan, or I'm taking you down with me.

Oct 07, 2011
Man, what a good interpretation!
Oct 07, 2011
I'd like to see the poisoner being someone other than Walt excepting Walt in a strictly non-fatal fashion. I still don't quite see him killing Brock. I love the idea of falling full Heisenberg, but I'm not sure he's completely done it. I hope so. Also, I'd love to see a call from the doctor sometime in this next episode telling Walt that his cancer is back with a vengeance. My ideal end for season 5 will be Walt standing protectively over all his loved ones with a death sentence from the doctor of mere days in the future as he mows down all his enemies only to get shot down himself while clearing the field leaving his family safe and well off, as was his intention from the beginning, succeeding because he is a very smart man.

I love each season of this show better than the last as well, and I LOVED season 1. "Fringe" is up there right now in terms of quality (i.e. I LOVE IT) but its intention as a show is still a little different. Shows like "Breaking Bad" and "LOST" (Yes, even that show, argue though if you will its success/failure/quality) are intentioned from the start as a complete story from beginning to end and each episode (ideally) is important for the flow and overall story being told. They are no "NCIS" procedural, nor even a well written family drama like "Parenthood". This is the story complete of Walter White's breaking bad. "Fringe", while fantastic, is not set up that way. As far as a replacement goes, "Fringe" looks to be poor anyway, as this (if last year's numbers say anything) looks to be its last. I'd cheer for "Game Of Thrones", but those are already written as books (or at least will have been written) so it cannot possibly have the same nerve-wracking suspense that "Breaking Bad" has. I'm all for "Homeland" replacing it, though after only the pilot that may be a premature call. "The Walking Dead" has been fantastic so far as well, though that still doesn't have the pull of Walt/Jesse/Gus. I'm a HUGE Aaron Sorkin fan, though, so I'm going to put my money on "More As The Story Develops" on HBO (or whatever it's being renamed as) even seeing nothing. Everything that man has touched has been quality and NEVER has he had the TV backing like he'll get at HBO.
Oct 07, 2011
I definitely think Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on TV, and in particular this season has had both amazingly tense moments, and very humorous ones as well (Walter breaking the frame at the car wash to get the coveted dollar bill and buy a soda). I will admit that I missed the castor oil thing with the gun, but I will also admit I watched it after coming home from the pub and need to rewatch before Sunday.
Oct 07, 2011
Lol...for a second there I really thought you had a Walt Jr theory with evidence & everything...

Community update: Troy just said "I need to catch up on Breaking Bad.."
Oct 07, 2011
I love the shows 'Sons' and 'Fringe' both, and even would call them " some of the best shows on tv right now". I even think both series will be worth watching again, years later, but they don't compare to breaking bad.

I really do think that Breaking Bad is "The best TV show ever made". I also agree that every season gets better than the last. I call it the "Inverse rule of series quality". The standard being that "the longer a show goes on, the worse it gets". See: The simpsons, Lost, BSG and nearly every other long running series.

As for the who poisoned brock story, I'm going with theory 4, none of the above. Simply because the writers at "BB" have been so far ahead of us for the past 3 seasons, why stop now? I like the Walt theory, Jesse could have done it on accident, or it reasonably could have been Gus, but I think it will have been something no one has come up with yet.
Oct 07, 2011
I still can't subscribe to the Walt theory, mainly because it revolves around Saul/Huell helping out. If Jesse had the pack of cigarettes with the poison on him when he went to Saul's office, how exactly would Huell have pulled off that switch? I can believe that during the frisk, he may have taken the pack off Jesse, but then what? Did he plant a replacement pack as well during the frisk -- lift pack A with one hand, plant pack B with the other? Did he somehow lift the pack, take out the cigarette with ricin in it, and put the pack back in Jesse's pocket? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems really implausible.
Load More Comments