Breaking Bad Has a Return Date and a Talk Show

The One Who Knocks, The One Who Says "Bitch," The One Who Has Mental Breakdowns in the Pool, The One Who Collects Rocks, The One You Better Call, and The One Who Eats Breakfast are returning this summer. AMC answered one of television's biggest questions today at its Upfront presentation, finally slapping a premiere date on the final eight episodes of Breaking Bad, the best television show in the universe. And that date is:

Sunday, August 11 at 9pm

The Emmy-winning show from creator Vince Gilligan has just eight more episodes left in its run, and depending how you look at it, they either comprise the second half of Season 5 or the entirety of Season 6. Personally, I'm calling it Season 6. Assuming Breaking Bad airs uninterrupted for eight straight weeks, that would place the series finale on September 29.

AMC also officially announced the post-show talk show Talking Bad, in the vein of AMC's Talking Dead. The half-hour series will air immediately after new episodes of Breaking Bad and feature panelists rapping about what atrocities they just saw Walter White commit and breaking down the power struggle in the driveway of the White household. No host has been announced, but I'm hoping it's the actor who plays Skinny Pete. However, my guess would be Steven Michael Quezada, who plays agent Steven Gomez and also hosts an actual talk show in Albuquerque called The After After Party.

No dessert until you answer these QUESTIONS:

– What are you calling the final eight episodes of Breaking Bad? Season 5? Season 5.5? Season 6?

– Is Talking Bad a good idea?

– Is Talking Bad a good name? What about Speaking Bad? What about Bad Talk? What about I'm the One Who Talks? Let's hear your ideas.

– Who should host Talking Bad

– How awesome is that picture of Walter White at the top of this page? He looks like a really nice guy.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter if you want to: @TimAtTVDotCom

Season 6, obviously. Different year = different season. Talking Bad is a stupid name, but they're just milking on the success of "Talking Dead". Personally, I think its a good idea ONLY because it's the last season, and I'd be okay with Chris Hardwick hosting that too AS LONG AS he's as big a fan of Breaking Bad as he is on Walking Dead. I like having a fan host the show better than some guy who's good at hosting stuff.

Walt LOOKS like a nice guy, but he's a murdering bastard who needs to end up in an orange jumpsuit or a coffin by the end of this show.

Can't wait!!!!!!
Show title? Bad Rap

Is it a good idea? Definitely.

Talking Dead is a good short show which gives you an immediate discussion of the show which your usually dying to text or email your friends about. The insight you get from the guests is great and gives you a limited virtual backstage pass to the show production.

Host? Jon Hamm.

Don't think you should have a star from the show host. Hamm would have great appeal, already has a following, and is very funny and personable. Alos, when I first started watching Breaking Bad, AMC did spots with actors from other AMC shows. I always thought Hamm's was the best because he made it simple ... "You know it's just gonna end bad."

Season? Call it Season 5

The whole deal of Hollywood splitting seasons is so annoying, ALMOST as annoying as these spammers who hijack forums to push there get rich at home scams.
I'm always curious and interested in hearing the perspective of others, which is why I enjoyed the after show for Walking Dead. So I'm glad there'll be an after show. I just wish they'd call it Breaking Heisenberg. (: As far as a host.. if I had my way, I'd choose Joshua Jackson. He's a fan of the show, has a charismatic presence onscreen, and is no longer tied up with his Fringe obligations. My second choice would be none other than the great Bob OdenKirk/Saul Goodman himself! Saul Goodman is a great time! And only because Bob is all-around awesome. That's my 2 cents.
I've always been leery of men who wear van dyke beards.
In order to keep them looking nice, one must spend much time in front of a moirror. It's the vanity that gets me. I don't think they can be trusted.
And look, the Cranston character can't be.
Are there no mods on this site? Someone do something about the spammers!
YESSS :)
Talking to add a few more seasons would be the only acceptable
How about Talking Blue?
I'm sorry, who in the heck do these follow up talk shows appeal to, exactly? Talking about it with your friends after the episode, sure, great. It's an interactive experience. Watching random people on tv talk about the show you just watched? That isn't fun at all. I really don't understand.
They're a big deal in Britain. Just about every show in the UK has its own spinoff/after-show. Maybe they're trying to introduce the same thing to the US.
Season 6. Bring it on :)
) It's season 6 for me
2) No IMO
3) Speaking Bad sounds better but the whole idea is bad so who cares
4) Don't know
5) He is like a ray of sunshine :)
August is very late. Expected July at least tbh...

- 5.5
- I'll watch any BB content. But am I still mad about AMC milking the cow further and further after they didn't fund a complete last season? Yes.
- "Talking Bad" sounds horrible. Who come up with that. I'm the One Who Talks is awesome.
Other ideas: "Yeah BI*CH, Talk shows!", "Talk, talk!!" (you have to read it like Tuco's "tight, tight!"), "Get back to talking", "Heisenberg principle", "Better talk Saul!" (would be fitting if he would host the show), "No more half talks", "Because I say so"
- No ideas for host.
- I LOVE this picture. This scene is actually one of my favorite "Walter disgustingly grinning" moments. I remember having quite a reaction seeing that face on air. There's such a difference between what lies beneath that smile and the looks of it - it's awesome.
1. 5.5 will do
2. Cheap. People will watch it. It's as good an idea as any unscripted series. So, basically it is a good financial move and a creative abomination.
3. I believe the grammatically correct option is "Speaking Poorly"
4. Alison Haislip
5. He is a really nice guy.
Honestly to me the show went to crap once they started cooking for the guy, it was so much better the first 2 seasons.
Talking Dead is awesome but Breaking Bad is over after this season... I would love it a LOT but I have no idea who could host it.
I'm the one who talks ! LOL
Call the season whatever you like, but amc, don't you dare call it late for breakfast.
As far as the post show derpfe.. oops sorry uh - gabfest goes what would Jesse's posse call it?
"Skinny Pete's Crib" - that's what. The living room decor should match that of the living room where Jesse is alleged to have dropped a cash machine on a recalcitrant debtor...
In fact the machine could still be there, lying on its side where it and a stack of Gideon bibles ripped off from various motel-rooms over the years, are being used to replace the leg of Skinny Pete's Bösendorfer grand that snapped off when it fell off a truck.
its still season 5, so I'd leave it at that. talking bad is the first name that i came up with as well, so i think its a perfect name, and yes its a good idea. who should host it? thats a tough one, but i think the man for the job would be peter dinklage, cant get enough of that guy
Interesting... in a recent episode of the Nerdist with Jon Hamm and Betsy Brandt, Hardwick & Co. brought up (in jest) the idea of a mash-up talk show called Talking Mad-Bad or something along those lines.

"Tears of Sorrow" since another fabulous show is ending:-(
It doesn't matter if it is called season 5 part 2 or 5.5 or 6. Seriously, does it really matter what it is called? I guess I'd stick with what the network calls it.

– Is Talking Bad a good idea?

If it makes money then yes but I'm not interested in Talking Bad so far (just want to see Breaking Bad)

without much thought behind these ideas: speed speak, breaking down breaking bad, meth mouth (credit to efonsecajr), bad talk break (lol, j/k)...maybe I'll put some thought into it but probably not.

– Who should host Talking Bad?

I don't care since I probably won't be watching

To be technical, that is a photo of Bryan Cranston acting as Walter White (he isn't always bad or at least wasn't always 100% bad so no surprise he can look like a nice guy--helps him get away with his criminal activities). Cranston also played a super nice guy on Malcolm in the Middle.

I hate waiting so long!!! Spartacus ends, Justified & Banshee's season is over....sad...at least POI's season hasn't ended yet and GoT is on.
I'm the one who talks, definitely.
Hopefully these final episodes move quicker than the last couple seasons. Dead time != suspense and I'm hoping the writers figure that out. It's still an awesome show but it's certainly not perfect as Tim would have everyone believe.
Being a TV junkie at times, I enjoyed the Talking Dead for some behind the scenes shots and actor interviews and some of the humor injected in the hour show. And if it helps the bottom line of AMC to keep putting on a show, power to it.
Sweet Jesus August!!!! Why not June, hell even July I could live with, but August? I'll never make it til then.
While waiting for the last unbelieveble fantastic episodes, do what I did for Christmas, have yourself a merry merry marathon of the entire show. It's probably more addicitive than the meth itself, of which I've never tried.
I did a test on AMC and it turns out I'm like Walter White and Heisenburg. Boooyyyaaa
I think that I shall never see
a thing as lovely as the return of Breaking Bad
August 11th at 9pm.
Heisenberg haiku?
I vote for Chris Hardwick to host. He's great on Talking Dead.
Agree. I can't believe wasn't immediately announced as host.
What?!? That's still 4 more months :(
Do what I did for Christmas, have yourself a merry merry marathon of the entire show. It's more addicitive than the meth itself.
That's why Bryan Cranston is such an amazing actor. The guy at the top of the page, you're like "Man....I'd be friends with that guy."

But Heisenberg... you're like "Umm, maybe we should walk on the other side of the street."
One day after my birthday!

Not sure if that's cool... -_-

... anyway...

... I'll just call it the second half of season 5. AMC and BB are, so I may as well follow.

-- It's a decent idea. Whether it's good or not will depend completely on execution -- who hosts, guests that come on, etc.

-- How about... Crystal Blue Conversation? Lame? Meh. It's the best I could come up with. It might sound like the show is about crystal meth more than BB, though.

-- The quality of the show will depend on the host, but I have no name to spit out. Bill Burr's been in a few episodes, how about if he hosts? If TV has taught me anything, it's that networks like having standups do hosting gigs (except for singing or dancing shows).

One day before mine!

I like Crystal Blue Conversation. A+

I agree the host will make or break (no pun intended) the talk show.
Good grief, another silly decision by AMC (IMO). Will it never end with them? The show whose final season they tried to cut waaaaay too short and have end prematurely is now the same one they want to milk by tacking on another totally pointless gabfest afterwards? There was/is no need for Talking Dead and there's even less need for this one. I really worry that we're on the leading edge of some new trend in AMC shows, where each and every series is followed by a regurgitation of what you just saw in the previous hour. I think even TNT has gotten dollar signs in their eyes with their post-Falling Skies dissection, although I think that's still limited to the Internet...so far. Stop! Stop now!

This is ultra-lazy programming, designed solely to create cash out of virtually nothing. Sure, I understand that when all is said is done, making the most amount of income for the least amount of expenditure is every network's /raison d'etre/, but I'd rather see a less mercenary decision such as, oh, say, *giving us more episodes of the show itself*, something AMC clearly didn't want to do with BB.

And even if this were a good move, the decision comes way too late in the show's run. This isn't the sort of thing you debut when a show is already 90-95% over, this is just a shameless cash grab. What's next? "Stay tuned for 'The Killing,' immediately followed by 'The Shilling.' And after 'Hell on Wheels,' stick around for 'Yell on Wheels.' Keep it here on AMC, your home for fanboys and fangirls pointlessly nerdgasming so we can halve the amount of the time we could be putting into /actual/ programming!"
I am not surprised that there are people who would think a talk show rehashing the show that immediately proceeded it is a bad idea. I am, however, surprised a commenter on this site would be against it.

Although, I guess to be fair this is a news post and not a recap. But often tv.com's comment section is filled with users rehashing what they just saw. Sometimes an episode is so good, so dramatic, or so shocking that you're dying to discuss it with someone. And if no one close to you watches that particular show, then I think this kind of talk show might be right up your alley.
While I understand your grief against such after-show gabfests, I wonder how many more shows would have survived the ax if inventive ways of milking cash out of advertisers would have been explored. Maybe Firefly or Jericho could have been saved if some form of cash crop could have been found. If Talking Dead keeps performing as well as it did, then the Walking Dead will keep walking for a long time. Defiance is thinking outside the box and may make it to renewal promised land.
-Season 6. This does NOT feel like Season 5, and besides, I very much dislike the whole .5 bit for TV seasons (the last of those first 8 had a great ending moment to them, and I wouldn't want to ruin that ending by saying that it was just "midseason").
-No idea. I have not seen one single minute of "Talking Dead" and I watch "The Walking Dead" very regularly.
-"Talking Bad" obviously gets its name from trying to continue in the vein of "Talking Dead". That said, I'm all for it to be called "Meth, Yo".
-Aaron Paul (please?)
-He really does look like your Mr. Nice Guy high school chemistry teacher. Awesome.
Season 5 Part 2. AMC split it like Sci-fi did with BSG so they could sell 2 sets of dvd/bluray boxsets. These post show talk shows are just another instance of money grabbing by AMC and no one should be watching them.
Talk show is too much. This is why I respect FX a lot more than I respect AMC. Both have very, very good shows, but FX doesn't treat its shows like crap. Splitting the BB season to begin with was an atrocious decision made for still questionable reasons; i mean, was it about selling more dvds or whatever? Why would they ruin the momento of the show? And now this, a pointless talk show about BB? Why? So it can look less respectable and more corny? Jeez AMC...
I totally agree with you, and luckily after Breaking Bad ends in September and Mad Men in June of 2014 I can forget all about them and their horrid internally produced, shows.
I agree fully. FX is way too classy to pull anything like this. AMC is nowhere close to being in FX's league. Their programming overall is far more uneven than FX's and their shamelessness really bothers me a lot. See my post above for more ranting.
Yes, FX would never split a season in two to get more out of a show. Oh wait, they already did with the final two seasons of Rescue Me which were filmed together and split into two separate seasons.

The only difference is FX called it the Sixth and Seventh seasons when they aired rather than Six Part 1 and Six Part 2.
Rescue Me was kind of an odd duck compared to FX's standard season orders of 13 episodes. For its first five years, it had seasons consisting of 13, 13, 13, 13 and 22 (!) episodes. (I remember wondering at the time if the fifth season was /ever/ going to end.) The final season(s) can either be considered to be 19 episodes or 10 and 9.

As I recall, the decision to split that last batch of episodes into two separate seasons was so that the series would end as close as possible to the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, a subject that was always very near and dear to Denis Leary's heart. Sure enough, the series finale aired on September 7th, 2011.

My guess is that the network gave special consideration to the show mostly in light of that special timing, and maybe a little bit because of how much positive attention the show brought to the network during its long run. As a rule, though, FX airs its seasons in solid blocks, with no splits and only the occasional week off here and there. They're extremely consistent in that regard.
How about calling it "Bad idea"?
Wait... Tim ISN'T hosting Talking Bad?
Season 6.
No. Also, what's the point of an "after show" if it's not on...after the show? Breaking Bad, then Low Winter Sun, then Talking Bad? Ugh...
Nobody.
Very much.
????...
"The half-hour show will air immediately after new episodes of Breaking Bad."
...
Not in this article, but elsewhere:

"AMC has announced that [Low Winter Sun], which is set in the Motor City and stars British actors Mark Strong and Lennie James, is premiering at 10 p.m. Aug. 11 – right after the 9 p.m. airing of first of the final eight episodes of “Breaking Bad.”"
Oh! The point is to get ratings to launch your new series as your old one dies. That's not just a good idea, it's cunning and devious and goddamned brilliant.
It's neither cunning nor devious nor brilliant. It's the status quo for TV. How many shows have been launched on the back of a popular established show?

And it ignores the point. The after show should be airing right...AFTER...the...SHOW.
No, the brilliant part is that it isn't.
That's exactly why it's not brilliant. The entire point of Talking Dead was to have a cheap way to cash in on the popularity of Walking Dead and keeping as much of the audience as possible. If people don't love Low Winter Sun they're not going to hang around for an hour to watch some shitty talk show about Breaking Bad.
I guess I am thinking of them as Season 6 (although, honestly, I have watched every episode several times and had no idea what season we were in, the whole story of making meth in the trailer and getting rid of the body with the lye in Jesse's grandmother's house seems so very long ago and then Gus and even Saul seemed so intricate to the show, you forget that they weren't always around and technically weren't even around that long). I don't really contribute to blogs about the show because I am usually very disturbed for a couple days.

Yes, because while it will likely be loose and funny, it will allow you to decompress (which I wonder if it reduces the number of blog comments because you have worked out your issues). There were a couple Walking Dead this year that were disturbing and it was fun to laugh about them.

No Talking Bad is not a good name, Talking Dead makes sense because, you know, Walking Dead, its a play on the name.

I have this weird idea of someone like Danny McBride, or heck, check with the Parks & Rec crew, I know the woman who plays Donna is obsessed with The Walking Dead, you'd think someone else would like Breaking Bad.

I have a weird time looking at Bryan Cranston in a trustful manner when he has his head bald (I totally was fine with him in Argo, so it really is just the hair and glasses).
Breaking Wind
Bellyaching Bad?
"Heisentalk" would be cooler.
- Season 5
- It's good, it fits with Talking Dead. The only thing else that makes sense is Breaking Talk.
- Frankie Muniz. Why? Because Malcolm In The Middle is great and I'm sure he watches Breaking Bad.
About time. But it's later than I had hoped, and that's annoying.

1. I'll call it 5b, but I understand if people want to call it 6.

2. I'm sure it's going to be profitable, so in that sense, it's a good idea.

3. It's pretty good. Better than the alternatives you suggested. I like that it's self-explanatory (if you have heard about "The talking dead").

4. I'm not going to bother to download it, so I don't care.

5. It's just OK.
WHY IS IT SO FAR. DAMN YOU AMC :(

I actually think it's a good idea provided they can actually foster some debates and informed critiques. That said, Skinny Pete and his mad piano skills can host any time. Or maybe Badger, or Bob Odenkirk, or Krysten Ritter (RIP Apt23)

I'm partial to I am the one who talks.
I adore Krysten Ritter, and I think the idea of a female host to balance this male dominated show is interesting.
They're not rocks!!
The day before my birthday!
The exact day of my birthday.
Still wishing it would come back sooner though.
Staff
show should be called: "Meth Mouth"
Host should be: Saul Goodman
Upcoming season is called: Season 5, Part Dos
How can it be the "upcoming season" if it's still part of the last season?
Staff
There lies the debate.
Talking Bad does sound kind of weird. I'd personally go for Bad Talk.

As for the show, it seems kind of unnecessary. The only reason I felt TWD had a talk show was because initially people thought that the violence in show would put off most of the population, leaving the few who liked it to not have any one to talk to.
I say this because no one I knew started watching TWD from the beginning and it was good to have a talk show about it. Fortunately TWD picked up and the talk show got hype.
BB is already big and every one with a brain watches it, hence plenty of talking to go around. It was unnecessary, but if they have nothing better to show, might as well.
Talking Bad seems like a horrible grammar joke.
This is so late! Honestly though, I was going to be out of the country when I originally thought it would air in mid July so now I don't have to worry about missing it and getting spoiled. But damn, I was just really expecting it to air how it did last year from July to the first week in September.
Load More Comments