Breaking Bad: Loose Ends

Breaking Bad S05E01: "Live Free Or Die"

Every step Walter White takes these days is one step further away from the man we knew and one step closer to the man we fear he will become. Tonight's Season 5 premiere of Breaking Bad was all about Walt covering his tracks so he could sip some Scotch and be the king, baby. But this crown only fits one man—Heisenberg—and Walter is going to have to be a thing of the past if his alter-ego is to become the new unopposed Meth King of the Southwest.

With Gus half a face lighter and dead enough to let future Emmy-winner Giancarlo Esposito join the cast of NBC's new show Revolution, the question we all thought we'd be asking this season is "Who is going to be Walter's new nemesis?" Walter has always been pushed by someone—Tuco, some Mexican twins, Gus—which made him turn to drastic measures, but Walter appears to be on top of the blue meth mountain all by himself for this final (two-part) season. So who is going to be person that makes Walter break bad beyond return?

My guess is Walter himself... though I suppose we should say Heisenberg. The new question then should be, "How much Walter are we going to see this season?" and the likely answer is "less and less and less." Walter has always Jekyll-and-Hyded into his alter ego to save his own ass, Jesse's ass, and his family's collective ass. Initially, transformation was a necessary evil, an ugly potential that was a response to kill-or-be-killed situations. But this is the final chapter, and in "Live Free Or Die," Walter went through Heisenbergification in much less threatening scenarios. And that's the scary thing: Walter turning into Heisenberg when he doesn't need to.

They're little things, admittedly, but the actions are clearly those of Heisenberg and not Walter. Near the end of the episode, when they were driving away from the police station, Mike asked for assurance that the job was done well. "How do we know?" he said. Water/Heisenberg replied, "Because I say so." It's simple, it's direct, it's authoritative. It's the same sort of thing Gus would have said to shut up a room. Later, Walter headed to Saul's and learned about Ted's situation. An argument ensued, and Saul put his hands up and said he was done with Walter, that their business relationship was over. Heisenberg stood up, walked right over to Saul, and snarled in his face: "We're done when I say we're done." He crushed Saul's will in that moment (Saul broke eye contact like a submissive puppy dog while Walt stared through him), and redefined their relationship. It's one of the most Alpha things Walter has ever done. And finally, at the very end of the episode and right after his meeting with Saul, Walter embraced Skyler and said, "I forgive you," in reference to her sexual and financial dalliances with Ted. The true intentions behind the words are open to interpretation, but this is Heisenberg taking the situation and making it his own, and all Skyler could do was tremble in fear and wonder who this new person in the shape of her old husband might be. Sure, we've seen Walter transform into Heisenberg in the house before ("I'm the one who knocks!"), but we've never seen Heisenberg walk in through Walter's front door, and that's exactly what happened in the final scene. Walter is bringing his work home with him now, and that's downright frightening.

"Live Free Or Die" was also a reminder of how good Breaking Bad is at coming up with a complicated plan, showing its difficult execution, and making it entertaining as heck. The whole idea to park a giant magnet outside the evidence room definitely qualifies as "so crazy it just might work," with its roots in hard science and a foundation in the trademark Breaking Bad realm of "almost impossible to pull off." The little victories Walt and Jesse had during the process and the suspense that surrounded actually sucking the evidence room to one side was damn fun to watch. It was Walter (with an assist from Jesse) once again showing brain matter over brawn, and he would have made Gandhi proud with his non-violent solution to a messy problem. Walter White, an inspiration for nerds everywhere, has always been able to make up for his lack of intimidation and firepower with intelligence, but we saw a bit of both. Sure he didn't slit anyone's throat with a box cutter, but Gus was always king because he used his head as much as he used his fists. Walter is getting there. Fast.

Though Walt thinks he's tied up the loose ends from offing Gus, I have my doubts. I disagree with Walter's assessment that leaving the truck behind is no biggie. He's relying a bit too much on the dude from the junkyard to keep his mouth shut if the police come asking questions. There aren't too many giant magnets out there. How long do you think it will take Hank to figure out that the magnet came from a junkyard? I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart doesn't sell those. How many junkyards are there in the ABQ, and how long will it take the police to notice that this particular junkyard's magnet is missing? And of course it was Walt's hubris—his desire to turn up that dial all the way—that got him in trouble. You know what Ice Cube said about checking and wrecking, right, Walt?

And then there's Ted. Ted isn't dead. Instead, he's looking more like Ted's grandfather, bald and discolored, held prisoner by a device used to keep his head from falling off. He said he won't talk, and we'd like to believe him. But this isn't a game of trust, this is a game of definitive action. If Walt was smart, he'd unplug Ted's machines and give him a pillow to eat. No loose ends, Walter! Ted's gotta go, and Walter is going to have to do it without stoking Skyler's suspicions.

Then there was the episode's cryptic opening. Just as Vince Gilligan teased us with a tattered stuffed animal butchered beyond recognition in Season 2, it looks like he's doing something similar with a time jump forward, showing Walter White with a beard, a New Hampshire driver's license, and a huge gun. It's the perfect tease for the series' final season (I say "final season" but internally I'm treating it as two mini-seasons) because now the show is attacking from two angles: one immediately following the events of the Season 4 finale (boom goes Gus's face) and one exactly two years after the pilot episode if Walter was telling the truth about the day being his 52nd birthday. If I had to guess, this opening, and the other scenes that we'll almost certainly see that continue its story, will lead up the beginning of the second half of Season 5, probably due out next summer.

I looked around the web for a bit more information on the gun that we saw in the trunk, and it appears to be an M-60, a light machine gun that's usually propped up on legs like a tripod. The ammunition in the trunk was tracer bullets, which leave little trails behind shots that can help with correcting aim. Apparently they're also pretty good at setting flammable materials on fire. Flammable materials... like, say, meth labs? The current time places us about 11 months after the pilot episode (which I confirmed with Vince Gilligan at Comic-Con this weekend), meaning there's a little over a year between when we saw Walter in the bulk of this episode and when we saw him at Denny's. Why did he skip town? And why will he be buying a BFG?

"Live Free Or Die" didn't feature one guy giving another guy a new mouth on his neck like the Season 4 premiere did, but it sufficiently put the Gus story behind Walt and gave us an idea of who Walt is going to be contending with most this season: himself.

Lab Notes

– I have to figure that Walt asking Jesse for his share of the money to buy (or rent) the magnet wasn't just thrown in for nothing. Most business relationships fall out over money issues, and this could be the beginning of Walt and Jesse's relationship being strained this season. Either that or it's just the writers being very thorough, which they usually are. And hey, it looks like our math wasn't that far off!

– I don't know how Gus's Cayman Islands bank account info will come back to our heroes. Could that possibly lead to Mike? Did Gus pay him through that account?

– Rolling tricycle in the evidence room? YES!

– I love the way they looped Mike into the gang. Hopefully he sticks around because the trio of Walter, Jesse, and Mike is fifty kinds of amazing.

– Mike also got the best line of the episode... twice. "Keys scumbag, it's the universal symbol for keys." And "You know how they say it's been a pleasure? It hasn't." Saul's "I told you so" speech is right up there, too. "Rio de caca." Saul is THE MAN.

– Once again, Bryan Cranston showed off why he's a three-time Emmy winner for Breaking Bad. The man is flawless.

Questions!

1. What do you think Walter should do with Ted? Trust the guy who slept with his wife and who's a general scumbag, and let him live? Or kill him to guarantee he stays quiet?

2. Who do you think will be Walter's biggest enemy this season? Himself? Someone we haven't met yet? Old associates of Gus? We know an actress has been cast as an old friend of Gus's, but we don't know how she'll take to Walt.

3. What was your favorite scene in the episode? I loved trying out the magnet at the scrapyard, especially when everyone looked at Jesse expecting him to have a piercing in his penis and Walt glanced at Mike when the question of artificial hips came up.

RELATED STORIES:
How Much Money Does Walt Have Left? (INFOGRAPHIC)
Comic-Con 2012: Breaking Bad Breaks Down Walter White

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Actually, "Loose Ends" would have been a more appropriate title for this episode... :)

So many things can happen, now, so many twists possible that I think I'll just enjoy the last 16 episodes without trying to guess this time.

Vince Gilligan is a genius and one of the few TV writers who still do take pride in their work and respect the viewers by giving them great storylines. Too many turn their work into easy-way-out-useless-twists crap when the rating of the show is high. (as in "Dexter").

I too was planning to collect the episodes and just watch them after the end, next year, but I just can't.... I can't!!!!

Favorite scene: The Universal Symbol for Give Me the Keys...

If Mike and Walt get together for business Mike will take care of Ted because he has to. Too risky to keep him alive. But.... Vince may have another twist in his bag.

Walt's attitude and the big gun really scared me as if something horrible happened and Walt is out for some death wish revenge... Walt's family massacred?
1) No he doesn't have to kill him... he allrady told: Ted would never speak to anyone, he got family...

2) The biggest problem would be the dea and the wife... But I think as good as this series is his brother in low he will understand walt was protecting him.. maybe he will help walt at the end... But for walt wife... mmmmm i think it would be trubble sending him away from home again... long beard and birthday alone in 2 years...

3)My favorite scene is in the car whene Mike understand who is the new boss "because I say so"... it's all!!!!!
1. If i were walt, that will be the easiest problem to solve.

2. Heisenberg's biggest enemy will be Hank. One of the way to solve it, is to threaten hank's brother in law's life. Kill Walt! and heisenberg's problem will be solved.

3. "because i say so"
3. Loved the scene with the penis piercing an artificial hip made me look at them as such an unlikely trio...

Also made me see them as kind of a father, son and grandfather, three generations with nothing in common except their drug dilemma.

2. The DEA will most likely be his biggest enemy and what do we know about Gus's family and friends?

1. He has to go with one of Walt's/Heisenberg's chemistry tricks
Walters biggest enemy this season is someone we haven't seen yet. It is the real power players behind Los Pollos Hermanos. They are not happy about what has happened. It is Madrigal Electromotive GmbH.

Am I now wrong when I say I saw a short clip of a group of men with a Madrigal Electromotive sign over their heads? I looked at my DVR copy of this episode and I don't see the scene, but I would swear it was there.

in the flashforward we see walt takin some pills,,,,seemz his cancer gonna be back,a sad ending i predict :(

YEAH, BITCH.

MAGNETS, OH!

That was the best part.

Case closed.
Walt's enemy? It may sounds a little weird but I'd go with his family. They are the only, concrete source of affection he has. His humanity is all there. And so his weak spot. Speaking about Ted: he has relatives, too. So, maybe, that's why he won't talk soon. My favourite part were obviously all the dialogues between Mike, Walter and Jesse, the quiet moment of celebration Walter enjoyed with his little baby (I always laugh too much watching Cranston) and the flashforward (I screamed "balls!" in the middle of the night because of Jim Beaver). So glad to have Breaking Bad back.
Walt's enemy? Hank.
Great review Tim, really little to add. I have to say though, it's bound to happen the showdown between Walt and Hank. Walter is almost completely Heisenbergrified and I'm not seeing anyone (besides, maybe, Junior) bringing him back. That scene at the end with Skylar was so strong. I couldn't help but notice this halo of evilness around Heisenberg that completely repulsed me; completely spooked me. That hadn't happen before once, if I recall correctly. Magnificent job by Cranston. Otherwordly.
I see so many predictable theories about the end. Walt showdown with Hankm Jessy turning on Walt, etc etc. But I just don't see it being that predictable. Yes, Gilligan is evidently a fan of poetic justice and cyclical plots, and Hank will no doubt play a huge part in the finale, but there's a lot more that hasn't been revealed yet. Who was Gus, really? Why did Walt have to quit Grey Matter? How will Walt finally build his empire, and who will be his soldiers? The answers to those questions, I feel, will shape the end of the show.
I don't really see them going through 13 months in one 8 episode season. They've spent 4 seasons getting through 11 months, it'd feel weird for them to do that big a jump.

What I expect is that the 13-months-from-now thing will be a recurring opening all the way until maybe the last two or three episodes (in season 5.2), which will deal with the aftermath of them.
1. Walter should kill him. Sorry, but there's already too many loose ends, like the two guys that Saul sent to do this, they could talk, too.

Maybe we'll get an episode called I.F.U.T this season as in "I Fucked Up Ted".

2. I think Walter will constantly stumble over Heisenbergs pride this season. With Hank pushing him to stumble on. Heisenberg stopped seeing Hank as a threat, somehow, but Walter didn't. At least he did not seem very pleased when Walt jr. went on and on how cool and awesome his uncle Hank is.

Hank will find out about Heisenberg being Walt (not the other way around) and either give it all up and go back to collecting minerals, or go after Heisenberg for good.

(Though Hank already has the right hairstyle to join the dark side, I just can't see him covering for Walter.)

I'd like to think Jesse will at some point oppose Heisenberg, but as of yet he doesn't have the skills to do this and he knows it. I think Jesse, more than Walter, has realised that they are a team and only came so far because they were working together. That might change as soon as Walterberg thinks Jesse is dispensable.

3. Seeing Mike again!

I want a spin-off with Mike driving through deserts doing that angrylooking thing. With chicken in the trunk.

On a sidenote: When discussing Ted in Sauls office, didn't he look impressively like Gus? Wasn't there an exact shot of Gus like this in season 3 or 4?

The best TV show ever made - without ANY exception. Gripping, funny, exciting, throw in human frailty with plausible but credible storytelling, in a word AWESOME.
Great opener and it makes me wish even more that it wasn't split into two seasons.

Answers to the questions:

1. Definitely kill him, cause if it's one thing this show has proven it's that loose ends will always come back to bite you.

2. I'd say himself to start but I see it becoming Jesse by the time the mid-season finale airs.

3. My favorite scene was by far his interaction with Saul where he said "It's over when I say it's over". Never thought the saying of a single sentence could be so intense!
Any ideas what to make of the teaser?

Did Walt leave his family (or them him) and get the new identity? I think either he is there by his own choice (offensive measures) or because he is forced to (defensive measures). Either he is building an empire somewhere in New Mexico or he needs to put up a fight to save himself or someone else - like Jessie who has been mysteriously absent. Or he is fighting the DEA after Hank revealed Heisenberg's identity.

Was there any clue as to what town that diner was located in?

I hope they expand this teaser to multiple episodes like they did in season 3.
Does any show do the cold open better? They are consistently complex and enigmatic scenes that significantly portend future events with overarching implications.

From what little we saw of this opening I think Walt had just returned to Albuquerque from New Hampshire. There was a picture on the wall by the door that said New Mexico and when Walt told the waitress how long the drive was from New Hampshire to wherever that Denny's diner is located he sounded like he was speaking from recent experience. He also had a fake ID and a car with plates from NH (I love how New Hampshire's state motto "Live Free or Die" was the title of the episode). This leads me to believe he had been there for more than just a short duration of time. For whatever reason Walt had to leave town and assume a new identity. If he was running from some remnant of the Cartel Gus decimated or any other criminal I don't know why he would need a fake ID. Unless he was also running from the DEA.

I think Walt was forced to leave. I think Hank found out he is Heisenberg and he's a fugitive from the law. But that can't be everything. Why the BFG? Leaving town may have been a defensive measure, but purchasing that fucking cannon of a weapon is quite the opposite, and I have no idea how Walt plans to use. We don't have all the pieces to the puzzle yet. Hell, we've only been given a few. But I very much anticipate we will be given more in future episodes. I would expect nothing less from a show of BB's caliber.
More +
Good observations! About the openings.... seriously I don't remember any show doing them so arty. You remember the opening of "crazy handful of nothin"(s01e06) where the light shines through the bullet holes in the RV and you can see the dust flowing through the air? Or in S3 when we saw people collecting evidence in Walt's backyard. Only this time shit got serious. I believe the teaser is the beginning of the end - the endgame if you will. And when I think of the endgame I think Hank/DEA vs Walt so I'm placing my bets with you there.

Now the M60.. I think some sort of raid is most likely. Using that gun as a defensive measure to protect a possibly new lab from incoming DEA is maniac and suicide. They would eventually get through and kill him. I think he plans on "scaring" someone (delivering a "message" if you will) or really needs to take out a lot of people while standing outside (as you can only operate it from a tripod, despite what Rambo tells you) a small (!) house which' walls allow bullet penetration. So the target has to be small and not that well guarded (compared to a police station). In that scenario it seems possible that Jessie needs to be freed (I can't imagine he would want/need to kill Jessie with an M60). What also just now comes to my mind - maybe his family is in danger? Maybe *they* have been kidnapped? I guess we should brace ourselves for anything possible.

Whatever the outcome. The scene he uses that gun will be the most badass moment of this show.
More +
"Does any show do the cold open better?"

I wouldn't say better, but "Damages" does a pretty good job on that department. I would say they are "on par".

Right now, I do think the same as you two about the teaser.

I can't shake off the impresssion that the M60(what a classic - BOBBY is just the best) is meant for Jesse - either to kill or to free him.
awesome episode! I have no idea where the season is going but one thing I keep thinking of is that the cartel could not kill Guss Fring. Remember the scene by the pool where his friend gets shot? You are not in Cuba anymore.

Maybe that will get back somewhere in this season. However, Walt and Jesse have enough trouble in ABQ already! Aaah is it monday yet?
"Because I said so."

Not quite as impactful as "I am the one who knocks", but pretty damn close. I really felt in that moment Walt shed the last pieces of his chrysalis. Walt was gone. Suppressed. Not in the driver's seat anymore. The way we talk about his other self is almost like a form of Schizophrenia. A darker personality. But Walt is definitely not schizophrenic. His transformation has been much slower. Heisenberg didn't happen overnight. He was growing and forming for years, simmering beneath the surface. Burning to be unleashed but contained by fear and doubt.

I've heard people say Walt was just a normal guy before the cancer. I disagree. He was a genius. While he was only in college, his groundbreaking research in crystallography helped his team win the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. THE NOBEL F-ING PRIZE! That is no small feat. A "normal guy" does not win the most prestigious award in his field while still in college. He reached his professional peak at the age of 20. How would that make you feel? Angry? Resentful? Bitter? To reach such heights and fall to such humbling lows. Genius is fickle. It is unpredictable. It has been said there is a fine line between genius and madness. Walt had been walking that line ever since the loss of his company. Here was a man who changed the face of chemistry, but was teaching it to highschoolers. It's no wonder there was a latent rage building up inside him. He was bound by fear. Constricted by doubt. But all he needed was the right push. Cancer was that push. A terrifying liberation of possibilities. It freed him to become the man beneath the surface. He's not yet a sociopath. I believe he still has the capacity to feel guilt and remorse. But he is a brilliant mind who deep down always knew he was meant to do more. To achieve greatness. A greatness he believes he has found in his meth formula. His transformation into Heisenberg has been a slow process. A deliberate wade into the pool of moral ambiguity. And Walt is no longer in the shallow end. He's fully submerged and embracing the darkness.

I've got to say, it has been wonderful to watch.
FringeFanatic, you should become a new writer for tv.com!
Catch us up on the Mexican Cartel from the pool - were all of them killed off? If any survived, I'm guessing they'd return for revenge and also business opportunities now that Giancarlo asploded.
Loved it that "Bobby Singer" was the guy in the bathroom. and Huge magnets are very cool
Question : Why Walt decides nevertheless to pay the waitress ? I think Jesse has been kidnapped. Walt refused to pay.... and he is probably dead... walt is all alone like thisflash forward...
Any time a waitress gives me a free something-or-other, I always give her the money I planned on spending as a tip. Coz, why not? You leave the restaurant with the same amount of money you would have otherwise and the waitress is rewarded for good service. Waitresses make less than minimum wage because the food service industry is awful and the government lets them be awful. If you can make a waitresses day slightly less awful and it costs you nothing extra, why wouldn't you? I think it shows what I've always expected, even a year in the future, after Walt's supposed transformation into a "bad guy", he's still a pretty decent guy. In fact, we do not get the payoff that was always advertised. The hero does not turn into a villain. Just a nice guy who deals drugs and tips his waitress. Tip your waitress.
thank you safibwana ! you're right ! ^^ (I'm looking too far ... but who knows ^^)
You must really hate Mr. Pink.

Mr. Pink had a point, but basically everyone would have to stop tipping all at once for it to mean anything. And then it would probably take a couple of years for tax law to catch up. One guy alone not tipping is just a douche.
Just thought fans would get a laugh out of this: http://i.imgur.com/IqY8l.jpg
I really did LOL! Loved that!
"A BFG"... a big friendly giant? Ohhh gotcha a big f*cking gun

Love Mike, Jesse, and Walt together. Just three bald guys kicking butt

I'm so looking forward to a Hank/Walt showdown! And notice Walt's family wasn't with him or mentioned in the flashforward. I don't have to wonder too hard to guess what might be up with that. I'm getting chills, man, thinking about how this might all end for everyone
So was that tricycle Thomas's?
I don't have words to express how i love this series!

Damn, this will be the last season :(
It's pretty clear Walt's nemesis this season will be Hank and the DEA. The Walt/Hank showdown has been slowly simmering for a couple seasons and Walt's reaction to the revelation that Hank was using Walt's son to spy on Gus adds a little more flame to the fire.
Yesterday I proclaimed I would wait, save and run through all episodes at once...but OH NO!!! couldn't do it. I caved and oh gosh am I glad. Who needs a sexlife when there's Breaking Bad? Huh? Not me, that's for sure.
I think my favorite part of the episode was Jesse in the background of Mike and Walt yelling "Magnets dude magnets". Oh and definitely Mike asking for the keys.
I found Walt to be terrifying this episode. When he says "because I said so" in the back of the car, I got chills. The whole magnet thing has to be one of the most hilarious and creative things that I have ever seen on television. I was kinda surprised that the episode was so comical. Breaking Bad has lost some of its humor since early on and replaced it with more tension, so I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did.

I may just be an idiot, but I completely thought that Ted was dead, so when Saul told Skylar that he was alive, I was stunned. I kinda hope Walt kills him, that would be awesome.

The first episode wasn't what I was expecting it to be, but it was still fabulous and I can't wait for the rest of the season.

And it kinda broke my heart to see the super lab like that. It was such an awesome set.
1) Kill him. Ted, I am not sorry.

2) Himself for sure!

3) The magnet test at the scrapyard. - Jesse's celebration: "YEAH, BITCH! MAGNETS!!"

PMA - Positive Mental Attitude
I keep wondering if they are going to explain exactly HOW brock was administered the lily of the valley poison...
oops. i didnt watch the new episode yet lol..
ted is already dead.. have you not watched the last episodes of last season?
Yes, and he also watched the premiere THIS season.
I forgot to answer the "Walt's biggest enemy this season" question...depends on how you qualify season...next 8 episodes? or next 16? For this 8 I think it will be Walt's Ego...he'll think he accounted for everything but we'll find out he didn't...as for the whole 16...I can't decide if it will be Hank or Jesse.

For a while I hoped they would have Hank discover Walt and then basically become his "Mike"...but really I don't feel that's in his character and it would be a hard sell at this point. Though when/if Jesse finds out Walk poisoned Broc...well ultimately I think there's a good chance that Jessie, not hank, could be the one that takes down Walt.

OTOH perhaps Jesse finds out, Walt has to kill him and Jesse's death ends up being the event that ultimately gets Walt caught by Hank.
I am so elated that Breaking Bad is back! Finally, a show that delivers on ALL fronts, every single time. A show hasn't been this complete since The Wire. Tim, are you as excited as I am? I know, the answer is a resounding F'n Yes!

1. Kill him, and get back his $622,000.00, or at least some of it in a life insurance policy somehow.

2. Walt will be his own worst enemy, as most of us are. However, Hank and Jesse will be in a close second before it is all over.

3. For my money, you can't beat the magnet scene at the police station. Walt's transformation, and even Jesse's, was everywhere in that scene. Couple that with the escape scene and Walt's boss-like answers, and you can see why this is the single best show on television, bar none.
" I love the way they looped Mike into the gang. Hopefully he sticks around because the trio of Walter, Jesse, and Mike is fifty kinds of amazing. "

agreed ! this is so fun ^^
Mike's best line for me was the one about non of the ways this scenario will play out will end in Miller time :)

I love that they jumped right in and didn't give us lots of story, these mini seasons should be action packed, and I love action in breaking bad!

Did Walt blow up the lab? I got to tour that lab in ABQ, friend works props for show!
Did Walt blow up the lab?

Did you watch Season 4?
yeah, i watched season 4, I just can't remember what happened to lab (have to babies under 2, so i get distracted....) guess i'll rewatch to find out.
Staff
Walt vs Jesse vs Mike vs Hank

Jesse finds out who poisoned Brock

Hank figures out how Mike got paid (foreign bank accounts!)

Walt needs Jesse's money to survive

Hank wants them all dead.
Somehow I don't see Hank wanting them all dead and going on a murderous rampage!
Staff
Walter White cooks meth, kills and is a chemistry buff. Hank going on a rampage is too far fetched?
Freaking awesome. As always. This show. And may I say I totally CALLED the giant magnet before Jesse even brought it up. Also, AWESOME in execution. Heisenberg indeed. You said very little about Hank, and I think he's going to be getting very important VERY quickly this season. I am not sure when exactly he'll put two and two together about Walter/Heisenberg, but if it isn't by the end of this half of this season I'll be quite shocked.

Lab Notes:

-Your math was indeed pretty decent, and I think this is both the writers doing a good job of being writers as well as something that will come up later, because how could it not?

-I think it'll lead to Mike initially, but I imagine that he used it as the primary method of contact payment for Walt and Jesse so it will lead to them very quickly, too.

-Rolling Tricycle, YES!!!!!! Awesome. All kinds.

-Mike, Jesse, and Walt is like the triumvirate of the team I want backing me up if I have to go into any kind of dangerous situation. Like ever.

-I like the "pleasure... it hasn't" line better. But let's be honest, there are great lines all over this show.

-Bryan Cranston can act. The guy should get ahold of Shia LeBeouf and just force-feed him acting lessons.

Questions:

1.) Walt still wants his life with his life. He's going to have to let Ted live. But not without a threat or two that'll come back to haunt him is my guess.

2.) Biggest enemy to Heisenberg? I'm going to say two-parter: Walter and Lung Cancer. I think that the two of them are going to mess Heisenberg up big time.

3.) The magnet test at the scrapyard was probably my favourite, though for a different reason. It actually shows them testing and tweaking the science. Something this show does SO WELL that other shows just completely skip and show everything working perfectly just because it's easier. This show does that stuff so well that it pains me to know that it's on its way out.
His biggest enemy will definitely be Hank.
It wouldn't surprise me the least if Walt decides to kill Ted to tie up loose ends. There are just so many "Michael Corleone" moments happening with Walt now. I think there are more Heisenberg moments in this episode than in an entire previous season.
Not as great as last season's "Box Cutter," but I did think this was a very good episode, and did a nice job of setting up some interesting storylines for them to follow up on in the rest of the season. I especially enjoyed the scenes with Walt, Jesse, and Mike working together, and Mike's attitude towards them now that they've killed Gus. Hopefully we'll get more of that in future episodes.
How could anybody not figure out thet Hank went through the laptop before it was bagged and taken away for evidence. Hanks went through the laptop and saw Walter on it........ Did you see his look as it was being taped for evidence in Gus' office, complete dispair........... Now before he can confront Walter, everything on the laptop is destroyed......... So what does Hank do without proof......... And you know Hank went through the laptop, he's not the type to wait for it to be processed...........
I don't think Hank went through the laptop at all. I'm sure Gus had a password on it and probably had the hard drive encrypted. If so, it wouldn't have been in the evidence room it would have been in a computer lab somewhere trying to get the information off of it.
It was good to see Bobby (supernatural) again. But in general a great episode - I really don't care if it is possible to wipe the laptop with the equipment they used, it was more important that it was a plausible idea and that Jessie came up with it! Also, did anyone notice Jessie say yo or bitch this episode. I think his character has changed to keep up with Walt's development.
I seem to remember Jesse saying "Bitch", during one of his celebrations of the magnet working.

I don't know if a magnet would wipe a hard drive, but an EMP would, so...
Haha the magnet celebration reminded me of Jessie's "Yes! SCIENCE!" when they built the car batteries in S2 (Yes! Magnets!)
God, I'm so glad this show has returned. 'The king is back' doesn't just mean Walt is back, it also refers to the king of TV shows - Breaking Bad - being back. And our lives just aren't the same without following good old Walt becoming Walt-that-shows-up-in-your-nightmares.

Good review Tim, the episode was pretty good. Couple of things:

- I was a bit disappointed that Mike turned to their side in a matter of seconds. If he was just a mercenary and there was no love lost between him and Gus, then why was he so angry? On the other hand, if he was more than a mercenary, then why does it take him all of 20 seconds to not want to kill Walt anymore? That said, I do love the trio hanging around and having their little struggles.

- My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I'm sure there'll be someone from Gus' family and/or past that will be bothered by the fact that he's dead. Walt will have a new nemesis. I do think that that person will be the major 'fight', simply because Walt doesn't seem to have an internal struggle anymore. The only person to whom he remotely tries to be Walt from the past is to his son, and soon that will change I reckon.

- I can't believe Saul is this naive. After Walt kills a major drug dealer who could steal someone's soul just by looking at them, Saul thinks he can talk down to Walt? Actually make decisions? No no no. Saul got put in his place because for some reason he hadn't recognized it yet.

- I agree with EduardoBuller, Hank would've been all over the laptop. If the argument is that there was a password protection, all of 5 seconds would've been enough to show it. A bit lazy from the writers, but I forgive them because the show is still fifty kinds of awesome.

- My impression from the final scene was worse than yours Tim. I think he went to Skyler and threatened her ( that is what he wanted to achieve I would say ) simply because he got tired of having to tip toe around her just to get her to talk. After all, he IS the king of the streets, why on earth should he not be the king at home.

- And finally... how naive is Skyler as well? Ted won't talk? Hell, even if Walt knew for a fact Ted wouldn't talk, I think he would still go and 'play' with him just on the account of a) having sex with my wife and b) threatening my family over money. Skyler, I'm pretty sure Ted is the equivalent of a piata for Walt at this moment in time.
i felt the dialogue was a bit little shaky, but other than that met my standards.
Great review all around, thanks! Any chance we can get you to take over on The Newsroom? :)
Staff
Ha, if you don't like Alex's take on The Newsroom, you definitely won't like mine! I opted not to review The Newsroom because Sundays are already full with Breaking Bad and *gulp* Falling Skies.
I kind of thought Walt's "I forgive you" comment to Skyler at the end of the episode was in reference to her giving Ted most of their money. Either way, it's clearly a sign that he's close to becoming a sociopath (if not one already).

Anyway, this was a pretty great episode. Not spectacular, but quite entertaining. It's weird because the idea of Heisenberg is awesome, but it's also somehow a little off-putting seeing Walt act like a mean-Gus to everyone around him now. Jeez, what an ass. Haha. I felt really bad for Saul -- yes, that ugly foul-mouthed dirty lawyer -- when Walt was completely intimidating him.

I have a feeling that the hard drive in the laptop will be partly readable... or the feds had checked it out a bit before storing it in the evidence room. Walt's "Because I said so" asshole-attitude will end up biting him in the, uh, ass. In line with that, Walt's biggest enemy will be himself -- I think Hank might become the antagonist, but Walt will have to fight himself and his conscience about how to handle Hank.
I agree. I assumed that signified Walt accepting his new persona as 'king'. Skyler already said she was scared of him and that was Walt acknowledging that he has transcended the fear and weakness he showed to Skyler in previous seasons. It was also a sign that the dynamics of power have changed since it is Walt who forgives, when Skyler never did.
Future Walter is broken super bad. I mean M-60's? Its Scarface time. And his coughing and medicines might suggest his cancer is back.

I hope they continue to show us those intros (like they did with the air crash/swimming pool part). Oh, and Bryan Cranston+Jim Beaver(Bobby from supernatural)=Fffuck Yeah!
I think Hank will definatly be more of a problem than ever in this season. We've seen him throughout the whole series few steps behind Walt, maybe he'll catch up with him this season, or at least get closer than ever before.
Agreed. No more Cartel or Druglord villains for Walt. It's only him and Hank from here on. Walt and his family.
Load More Comments