Breaking Bad, The Americans Score Big at the TCA Awards

The Television Critics Association held its annual TCA Awards over the weekend, and as you might expect from a group of television critics, the acclaimed AMC drama Breaking Bad took home the top honor of Program of the Year.

Perhaps also as expected, but still totally warm-your-heart-worthy, Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany earned Individual Achievement in Drama props for her performance as multiple clones, each with their own personality and mannerisms, in the most critically lauded sci-fi series since Battlestar Galactica. Emmy voters might've overlooked Maslany's work because she stars on a genre show, but there was no way she was going home empty-handed in an awards program run by a group of 220 television critics.

Also winning statues on Saturday were ABC Family's recently canceled Bunheads (Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming) and FX's excellent wig shocase The Americans (Outstanding New Program). Read on for a full list of winners...

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR

The Americans, FX
Breaking Bad, AMC **WINNER**
Game of Thrones, HBO
House of Cards, Netflix
The Walking Dead, AMC

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

The Americans, FX
Breaking Bad, AMC
Game of Thrones, HBO **WINNER**
Homeland, Showtime
Mad Men, AMC

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad (AMC)
Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel (A&E)
Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black (BBC America) **WINNER**
Monica Potter, Parenthood (NBC)
Matthew Rhys, The Americans (FX)

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

The Big Bang Theory, CBS (Tie) **WINNER**
Louie, FX
New Girl, Fox
Parks and Recreation, NBC (Tie) **WINNER**
Veep, HBO

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

Louis C.K., Louie (FX) **WINNER**
Lena Dunham, Girls (HBO)
Jake Johnson, New Girl (Fox)
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation (NBC)

NEW PROGRAM

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

James L. Brooks
James Burrows
Jay Leno
William Shatner
Barbara Walters **WINNER**

What do you think of the TCA's picks? Would you have voted any differently?

The Americans and Orphan Black (Tatiana :)) ... oh yeah!
I'm just gonna put this out there, Breaking Bad should not be winning awards for the first half of Season 5. It's still a spectacular show, but it was by far the weakest run of Breaking Bad episodes to date and both Game of Thrones and Justified (maybe others too), were far superior to it this year...
I coulnd't disagree more, BrBa is like wine, it gets better with age. For me every passing season has been better than the one before it. I think this is mostly thanks to the fact that this series has a progressing story, not a season by season villain/problem. Season 5 part 1 did as good or better than the 12 episode full season and it was a lot better than the short, but brilliant, first season.
Can't wait for the end of this amazing series. I have been rewatching it lately and cannot believe how far Walter and Jesse have gone.
See I can't think a season of BrBa with so much memorable moments as this ones. The train, everybody wins, hank, all about mike. This first half was brilliant and I can only expect it to go up from here.
Tatiana FTW!!!! So happy!
Appreciate the posthumous recognition for Bunheads. ABC Family, you never truly recognized what a gem you had in your hands. But the audience is the most to blame. I would have thought a light-hearted show like Bunheads would have been well received by viewers.

But "Heritage Award"? Pointless. Do they just pick some old shows to put on the list? If the five shows this year were discovered to be deserving a heritage award, shouldn't the same ones, or at least almost the same ones, be up for an award next year too? If Lost was good enough this year, shouldn't it be good enough next year too? And if Twin Peaks isn't nominated in 2014, what does that mean? That its heritage got tarnished enough during one year that it can't be nominated? I understand lifetime achievement awards for people, but why give awards to shows that began and ended ages ago? (Except in this case SNL.) They made their mark in TV history a long time ago, but why reward them now? All in The Family ended 34 years ago! And how do you even put SNL and Twin Peaks against each other? The cultural significance of those two is measured on two different scales.
I don't understand the heritage award either. are they just going to go through shows that were ground breaking in some way and then give them an award? can shows get said award multiple times? and isnt this why the TV land awards are around? to recognize past shows.
why is this here?!?!
Tatiana Maslany won !!!!! hip hip Hooray!!!!
WTF about Twin Peaks not winning the Heritage Awards. or at least Lost.But come on, All in the Family, about a fascist bigot winning.
I hate Barbara Walters, so I won't comment on that snafu.
Well it could have turned out saner, but that's what it is.

Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming? Is such a thing actually possible? Seems like a contradiction in terms to me.

Aside from that, congrats to the many worthy winners listed above.
--- Ha! and Ugh! @ ties. If the tally of votes ends up the same, just flip a coin or something. Awards shows should NOT give ties.

--- Yippee! for Tatiana Maslany's win for INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA. That is a huge category, although Bryan Cranston is the only other nominee there that I'd say is a powerhouse of an actor on their respective shows.

--- I never understood awards shows that have a big category like PROGRAM OF THE YEAR where the winner of it isn't also the winner of one of the subcategories of drama or comedy of the year. If Breaking Bad is the program of the year, how is it also not the drama of the year? Is it not a drama? PROGRAM OF THE YEAR, in theory, should basically be either the drama of the year winner or comedy of the year winner.

It's like the MTV Video Awards where someone wins "Video of the Year" but doesn't win either award for best male or female video.

Although, I guess it's a bit more acceptable with these TCA Awards because they specifically phrase the award "OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT in ___" rather than "___ of the Year." So if they had to defend their system against a jerk like me, they can say with some logic that Breaking Bad was the program of the year, but it didn't achieve anything outstanding. That at its worst, Breaking Bad is still better than every other program.
Wow, finally some Awards that don't make me angry. I didn't even shout at the computer once.
I finished Orphan Black a couple weeks ago. It was a good series. I wanted to see it just for Tatiana Maslany but it got me interested in the other stuff too. I dont really know what to say about Maslany's performance. She's an incredible actress but Theres just something about each of the clones that bug me. When we are introduced to them, the writers want to shows every single quirk each clone has, and I feel that it took a toll on Maslany. Her performances seemed a bit over-the-top for me. At the end it got much better, I think Cosima's performance was the most natural. Maybe in season two without having to introduce us to all the clones, we will see Tatiana Maslany at her best.
Wimps, cannot even pick between a tie. ;)
Staff
So much this. Pick a winner. No one wants a sister kisser.
These choices seem way more reasonable than the Emmys.
Wow, Orphan Black and Bunheads finally got some recognition <: