Breaking Bad: The Three Amigos

"Salud," the title of the tenth episode of Breaking Bad's superb fourth season, is also the Spanish equivalent for "Cheers." And in Gus' language it also means "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor," which just so happens to be my favorite vacation T-shirt ever. "Salud" continued Breaking Bad's recent hot streak by showing us what happened to Jesse (Aaron Paul) and Walt (Bryan Cranston) after their fist-to-face convention, but ultimately ended up belonging to the great scene bandit, Gus (Giancarlo Esposito).

Before we move on to one of the most awesome barfing scenes I've ever seen on television, let's talk about Jesse. Gus sure didn't waste any time whisking him off to Mexico, did he? So here's this junkie kid from Albuquerque teaching one of the most powerful and dangerous criminal organizations in the world how to cook meth. It would be a highlight in the career of any street thug with his eyes on becoming Scarface, but Jesse never had any intention of going this far. No, no, no. He boarded that plane because he had no other choice. He couldn't tell Gus, "No thanks, you two enjoy your time South of the Border. I'm going to hit up Denny's." Jesse was in that weird realm of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't," with his actions being determined by those around him, mainly Gus.

Except when it comes to owning the lab! When Jesse barked at the condescending cartel chemist and informed the group they'd be doing things HIS way, he became a certain two teachers' new favorite pupil. The smirks from both Mike and Gus meant more than just "Go get 'em, Tiger!" They likely also meant, "Okay, we'll save your life."

Gus' intentions with regard Jesse have never been clear. Earlier this season, when Gus and Mike set out to make Jesse feel important, it looked as though Jesse was being used as a game piece to prevent Walter from orchestrating some sort of escape plan. Jesse even got to hold the all-important vegetable plate for the meeting with the cartel rep! That's serious responsibility! But when things got hairy and war proved imminent, Gus appeared to view Jesse as trade bait (at least that's one interpretation), useful to get the cartel off his back, stop the violence, and increase the peace without resorting to gathering up washed-up rappers for a charity rhyme. I'm not convinced that Gus always planned on bringing Jesse back with them, but I there was no question in my mind once Jesse stood up and impressed his bosses in the cartel's lab.

While Jesse was fiestando-ing in Mexico—we'll get to the final ten minutes of the episode shortly—Walt was healing both mentally and physically, neither of which were going too well. He only appeared in two scenes, but both were heavy workloads stacked with brutally emotional monologues (piece of cake for Cranston). They served to pull Walter back a little, back toward his family and his role as a father. He's been disconnected for so long, and to see Walter Jr. come to the rescue (he fixed Walt's glasses! How awesome was that?) just killed me.

"Remembering you that way wouldn't be so bad. The bad way to remember you would be the way you've been this whole last year. At least last night you were... real, you know?" —Junior, yanking tears from the eyes of viewers everywhere.

Jr. has always been there for his dad (he made the web site, he almost always takes his dad's side in Skyler-Walt tiffs, etc.), and he may be Walt's last pure relationship. Every other one Walt has had is now tainted. Could Jr. end up being the wild card that keeps Walt from fully transforming into Heisenberg?

Okay, NOW let's move on to that final scene, which immediately made the ever-growing list of Breaking Bad "Oh Sh*t!" Moments. Whatever Gus used, it was certainly less subtle than Walt's poison of choice, Ricin. I figured the bad guys would be dropping dead a few days from now, but apparently Gus wanted faster results so he could stick around to enjoy seeing Don Eladio stare at the bottom of his pool. Gus had the thing planned all along, of course. He downed a few capsules, which I think were over-the-counter charcoal tablets (great for all your anti-poisoning needs), and proceeded to exploit every Mexican gangster's weakness: tequila!

After saving Jesse's life by not letting him drink (which may have been improvised; still not sure what Gus initially had planned for Jesse), but downing a shot himself so as not to arouse suspicion, Gus excused himself to the little hijo's room and neatly folded his garments before sticking his finger down his throat like a proper gentleman. Only Gus can make such a disgusting act look so noble. Also, the balls on this guy! We're talking Elephantitis here!

With the cartel keeling over and the job done, our Three Amigos hightailed it out of there. But not before a bit of resistance forced Jesse to play Rage for real, and in this instance of primal reaction, he had no problem squeezing several rounds into a live human being. I'm not looking at this as a way to prove that Jesse is getting comfortable with cold-blooded murder, but bustin' caps is much easier when caps are being busted right back at ya. What do you think?

In the end we were left with Jesse hauling ass through the Mexican desert in a Caddy, with a poisoned Gus and a wounded Mike as his cargo. Anything can happen from at this point, and we have three episodes left to see how things play out.

Notes:
– I loved the way Don Eladio breaking the surface of the water in the pool mirrored "breaking glass" when a new batch of meth is made... so much so that felt compelled to make an artsy-fartsy animated .gif that combined the two scenes. What's it mean? Making meth and killing kingpins are part of the same job.

– How pretty was this episode? One of the best-looking of the season, I thought!

– It was fantastic to see RJ Mitte work with Cranston in their father-son scenes. In fact, Mitte sealed the deal on those scenes. They wouldn't have had nearly the same impact if he hadn't delivered, which he did quite well.

– Am I the only one who was a bit disappointed in the 96.2 percent purity of Jesse's meth? Even Gale could hit 96 percent!

– Is Skyler even worth discussing right now? She's really only doing busywork while Walt and Jesse carry the show. But honestly, if her storyline was as interesting as Walt and Jesse's, I don't think I'd be able to take it.

I loved the scene when they tested the meth and it was 96.2% pure. Everybody was all happy and jesse goes "Damn it!"
Gus sees Walt as a problem/risk but Walt had Jesse dispose of Gale so Gus has to keep Walt.

Jesse has now proven that he can make, by himself, high quality meth.

Clearly, this is getting interesting... Gus can now dispose of Walt because he has Jesse. It will be Jesse to decide if he still cares enough about Walt to protect him (tell Gus he won't cook without Walt) like Walt always did for him. But with the huge fight they had... not so sure...

Can't wait to see what happens.
I watched that scene again and again with Mike pointing gun and I think he really meant to kill Jesse.

another quick thought...

I'm waiting for that Jane bomb to go off. and hopefully it goes off this season.

all we need is drunk Walt and Jesse.

we all know it's coming and the way those 2 are know. it's gonna be some fireworks.

I think when Jesse does find out, he'll go after Walt's family.
I don't think Jesse will ever find out about Jane. If this was some soap opera, definitely, but not on Breaking Bad. First of all because I don't think he'd ever find out in real life, and Walter is not that week to need to go whining about it, even if he's drunk. Aside from that, the writers never mentioned any of that again. It would kind of come out of nowhere.
yeah but when Walt is drunk he talks all crazy things, so you never know what he'll say
I think I always misremember this. but didn't Jane just OD and die in front of Walt? What could he have -really- done?
I was expecting jesse's meth would be about 98%! well, 96.2 isn't that bad right? :) great, great, great show!
this season only gets better and better as we go along!
I also hadn't noticed Mike aiming at Jesse until some of you (Alpha0515) pointed it. It's a little ambiguous, but I think he really was going to shoot him. Here's a screen cap of the scene:

It's really not a natural movement for getting in the car and Mike seemed surprised at the shot he took, so he probably wasn't aiming at the shooter.

It would be simpler to just let Jesse drink the poison though, but if they ever planned on killing Jesse this trip would be a great moment, especially since there were already a hundred dead bodies there.

Like DavidJackson8, I also think the main concern now is whether Jesse will kill Mike and Gus or not. It's the perfect opportunity, and until he got in that fight with Walt I'd bet he'd do it. Now I just don't know. It would be sad to watch Gus go, though... he's awesome.
Walter should dump Skyler and marry Gus, who's obviously gay (though he'd be the man in the relationship) and has a thing for chemists.
When that 96% showed up, I was worried. I didn't think it was good enough for the Cartel, and would just prove what they thought of Jesse. He's not a chemist, and doesn't really know what he's doing. Luckily for Jesse, they thought it was good enough. And I think that, for Gus, 96% is the perfect number. Think back to the last time we saw that number. It was at that pivotal scene, where Gale convinced Gus to hire Walt. He made such a huge deal about that 3% difference that, despite Gus' uneasy feelings towards Walt, he decided it was worth the chance. Since then, Walt has killed Gale, tried to get Mike on his side in the bar, and made a few attempts on Gus' life. Not to mention many other reckless decisions that Walt has made, this season especially. I think that if Gus could do it all over again, he'd choose Gale over Walt. However, that's impossible since Gale's dead. But Jesse gives him the possibility to take that route he didn't go the first time. Yes, Jesse himself has made mistakes in the past, and Gus even said he didn't want to have a street thug like Jesse working for him. But people can change, especially when they have help. Gus has been building Jesse up this whole season. He's been slowly gaining Jesse's trust, and playing Jesse's role in the organization against Walt's ego, to strain their relationship. While this show is far from predictable (and even the most predictable things in the show go down in pretty unpredictable ways a lot of the time), so I could easily be wrong about all of this, but I strongly believe that this is what Gus has in mind for Jesse. And yes, I am also aware about that little moment where Mike "points his gun at Jesse," but I think that that's very debatable. He very well could be, I admit, because it was so quick that it was hard to tell with 100% certainty, but I think he was pointing the gun over Jesse's right shoulder, towards these two Cartel members who are seen briefly, a couple seconds before they show the shooter. I would love to see them take this direction with their characters, even though it would probably mean the death of one of their characters (most likely Jesse, which would be very sad to see since he's my favorite character this season). Anyway, I loved this episode. Easily the best episode of the season, which is saying a lot, considering how much I love this season.
I think the Skyler storyline is more important than you think Tim. Beneke's irresponsible fincancial decisions are going to put the spot-light on Walt and Skyler's business front venture.
Skyler needs to be killed off ... for dramatic purposes and for viewer satisfaction (which is the same really). Otherwise 10/10 here!
highly disagree. I think she's a necessary addition.
That episode was so good. I actually find Skyler's storyline tense, and when she revealed that she has all that money to Ted, I started shaking even harder than I already was. So much suspense. It amazes me that this show hasn't killed off its viewers with so much tension. I absolutely love it. Oh and Jesse was pissed about his 96.2%. I hope Walt and Jesse can get some sort of relationship back soon. Oh and Walt's slip of Jesse to Jr. was terrifying. I am scared that he is going to ask about it, which we know he will. Gilligan you are a genius!
i think you have something there. you know Walt Jr will spill the beans at Sunday dinner. I can hear

Hank now: Jesse? Jesse Pinkman?

Walt: Uh...uh...

Holy Monkeyjujus
Great episode. Fantastic season. Not sure how I feel about Skyler's story. It kind of feels like her IRS problem might ultimately be Walt's downfall, but I also think the writers would do something a bit more dramatic than that. Therefore, maybe it's like you say and it's just "busywork." The scene with Walt and Walt Jr. was great. The main storyline that I'm interested in now is whether Jesse will kill Gus and Mike -- with Gus sick and Mike seriously wounded, they're both very vulnerable and basically in Jesse's hands. If he doesn't kill them now, I'd assume it's because he's "taking their side" in their relationship with Walt.
Does anybody else miss Marie? I know, I know. With Gus's cleverly executed cartel genocide, Walt and Jesse's falling out, Skylar's brilliant Luxembourgian Great-Aunt scheme, and Hank tightening the noose around the whole operation, who has time for a beautiful kleptomaniac. In my opinion, this has been BB's strongest season of storytelling, so is it wrong to want a little more Marie (purple accessories and all) with so many other important stories to tell?
I totally agree! give us more of marie! :)
they need to leave Walt, Jesse and Mike alive until show ends.

and since Gus's moto is Blood for blood, I think Walt Jr., Skyler, Marie and maybe Hank aren't safe. They might get wacked at the end of this season.

The most impact would be with Walt Jr. and then story would really get crazy. They need to make show even more crazy then it is now, because Breaking Bad is EASILY BEST show!!!

Skinny Pete : WOOW, STOP ( he said it, when he and Badger and Combo met with Walt and ask him if Jesse really smashed dude's had with ATM)

Skyler : Well, we certainly can't live without a wine cellar . ( I don't know if which episode she said it, but I know it was a flashback, when they bought the house)

and yes I know few quotes, since I watched this show at least 3 times.

for real watch it again from start.

EASILY BEST SHOW !!!
The episode was epic. BUT I AM PISSED OFF!! I haven't reads all the comments, but I am amazed, Tim, you didn't bring this up, moreover the sheer blindness everyone has for the cheapest trick in television that BB played right under all of your noses! TV writers sometimes throw in something rashly, completely out of place, in an attempts to accelerate a certain defining aspect of the show that may happen later in the episode, or further down in the story. Breaking Bad did this exact thing this episode. No one realized it. Walt's dad had Huntington's disease; we never knew about this before, they just threw it in there... all of a sudden. So this means the writers were looking for a way to perpetuate the plot, from some outside source, What is it? Walt Jr will die of Huntigton's disease next season, it will be an accelerated condition and he WILL die. The writers decided this in this episode. It was the ONLY reason why he brought it up, and also the reason it just came out of no where.
Nope, that can't be the case. Walt Jr. has cerebral palsy. All his life he's been under attentive medical care. Not to mention, Walt definitely would have had him checked for that anyway, given the way he explained his mother's worries. If they do this, it is a huge failure of logic on the part of the writers.
Sure he would have had it checked out. But the doctors wouldn't tell Walt Jr.--they would tell his parents. If you knew your kid had Huntington's disease, would you tell him while he's still a kid, in high school? It is possible to have more than one disease. It's just a theory, just wanted to throw it out there and own it. Oh yeah and I was in bad form to condescend someone who doesn't think the same way as I do... so apologies to anyone for my tone in my original post.
actually I have Huntington's disease. You cannot have Huntingtons Disease Unless one parent has the disease. It does not skip generations. It is a genetic disorder. If a parent i.e. Walts dad had it then Walt has a 50/50 shot of getting it. Walt said that he was tested and di not have it. Therefore there is ZERO chance that Walt Jr could get the disease.
I'm not sure if I agree. They can take that route, sure. But I don't think that's the only logical explanation for having Walt bring that up. His father having had a disease that rots away the brain makes Walt's story a lot more significant than, say, him being killed in a car crash or dying of natural causes. Plus, Walt Jr. has cerebral palsy, and I'm sure he had to go through tests when he was younger to make that diagnosis. I don't know how these disorders are found or how the diagnoses are made, but I assume doctors would have tested and seen if he had Huntington's disease (if not on their own accord, I'm sure Walt would've told them about his family history).
Interesting theory. If you are correct, I will doff my hat to you (metaphorically speaking) for your predictive prowess.
Staff
I'm okay with it.
all i can say is emmy's 2012, will get ruined by this show.
Why was the show not on this year's emmy nomination list?
That's a great gif. I love when they crack a sheet of meth, and it looks like a mirror breaking.// O-M-G Tim-- it was just the prettiest!!// I agree. Those were some great father/son scenes. And good point about Walter Jr being Walt's last "constant."// I was also disappointed by 96.2, but they all reacted like it was great, so I wasn't sure.

Ok here's what I think about Ol' Skyles, her arc will either play major dividends for this seasons finale; or it will just keep building and be crucial for the series finale. Either way, Breaking Bad has no FLUFF storylines. Well, except Maries shoplifting ;)
finally one character that can actually speak proper spanish! RIP Don Eladio :P
The show's score at TV.com has risen up to 9.0
Holy crap, didn't notice it till some people mentioned it in the comments but Mike was defenitely gonna off Jesse right before he got shot himself. Pretty interesting. Killer season, brilliant episode.
Wonderfull episode, Allmost felt like a season finally. Despite your opinion about Skyler I love her involvement and now she's trying to fix things her way. The dumb blond act was quite allright. Can't wait untill she also has to make a life or death decision. (perhaps even in this season, since her old boss is unstable as hell). I'm curious how they will make a mence between Jesse and Walt now.They will both be required to be at work for Gus if the three return back to the States. I can also see Skylar and Walt expanding their business and growing larger then just a laundering operation. And becomming a threat to Gus. Or who knows and Hank will become a Threat again. Since we got to have some sort of enemies. to keep tention peaking as it is now.
I think that at this point, Skylar is essential to the business. I think that Walt was getting so wrapped up in his own drama that her intervention saved him. It was a matter of time before someone said "where is all your money coming from? Aren't you unemployed?" and Walt would freak out again like he always does. Skylar saved the day.
The look on Gus' face when Don Eladio meets his eyes and knows he is going to die! I felt the vindication myself! Again, well done BB.
for a guy that's not even a chemist 96.2 percent is A LOT, i mean, Gale was super proud about his 96 percent (lower than Jesse's btw)

Oh and what the hell do you mean by "little hijo's room" that means "little sons room" in spanish, you meant to say "little chicos or little nios room"
little nios*
Great episode. I've always hated Skyler but understood the necessity of her character; however, if the crap she's pulling(telling Ted where the money really came from) gets Walt and Jesse busted/killed, I will RAAAAAGE!
" She's really only doing busywork " Wow, really Tim?? I think you've dropped an oar here!! Ted has just been handed the keys to the kingdom, if he's able to figure out a way to milk it long enough before Heisenberg shows up. Skyler already told Ted SHE can not be audited. Not Ted, not his company HER. So somewhere between now and the finale, well "Lucy you got some splaining to do!!!"

"It was fantastic to see RJ Mitte work with Cranston in their father-son scenes" Agreed!! It was also pre-meth Walt right up until his Heisenberg injection from Gus' soldier.

I get the feeling that this episode showed Gus' true colors. Cool, ruthless, decisive, and without regard to ANYONE but himself.(Hank's gonna have his hands full.) This also showed Gus that he is no longer totally reliant on WALT for product. With the Cartel faded, he can now decide exactly how long he wants to keep Walt around. Once Jesse announces to Walt what went down, it will be decision time for Walt........Fight or Flight???
"At least last night you were... real, you know?" Had to go back and rewatch cuz I wasn't sure. Walt asked Jr if he liked his car as he was falling back to sleep after Jr says it's great, Walt replies "That's great JESSE!!" So, Walt may have in fact put a period on his last real relationship.
Best episode of the season!!!!
that was a bloody amazing episode
Jesse to the chemist: "Make me my penylacetic acid, bitch!
Great episode, but wow how close was Mike to killing Jesse?! Even when he and Gus seem to be growing fond of Jesse. Caught me totally off guard.
Definitely one of the best seasons of all times.

I do not agree with most of you guys about Skyler. She was a lot more borring when she was not into the illegal business : the season 2 and 3 were a lot less enjoyable because of this imo. Now that she has a piece of the business (she manages the car wash on her own, she is THE launderer [does that word exist ?]) she is less like Walt's conscious-reminder. And the IRS threat is quite real (after I F*cked Ted, there is Ted F*cked Me). There will be surprises for sure. Plus, Hank is still onto Gus. I think the end of the season will be messy.
What is Walt's on screen record? Isn't it somewhere like 97.2%? Good episode though, while there are certain shows where a mass killing a la Godfather is cool (Sons of Anarchy being one of my more favorite), I'm not sure I liked it in Breaking Bad. For one, I thought the move was telegraphed, especially with the whole Gus sits in chair and stares at the spot next to the pool thing. And another thing, I liked how Gus was portrayed when he was walking towards the sniper. He used his persona's sheer force to stop crude violence. The poisoning seems a little beneath Gus, especially while being present for it.
Try a touch above 99%. Gail's words, not mine.
Gus is simply smart. He knew the sniper would not shoot him because of his status and he knew he could never kill the cartel off and get away alive unless he did it cleverly and secretly. How would you have preferred him, Mike and Jesse to take out so many members of the cartel? I am sure none had guns as they were surely searched by the cartel before hand. And the way he did it eliminated mostly all of the cartel from retaliating and going out in their very own blaze of glory? If anything, he was much more out of character stepping into the snipers path because that was reckless. Gus is typically a very subtle and meticulous in planning.
You know, I'm starting to see a story take shape here that I hadn't even thought possible before: redemption for Walter White. We're all assuming he's going to get worse and worse and finally go down in a blaze of glory, and while that might be so, I'm starting to get the impression that he will redeem himself for his vile actions before the end.
Staff
-Having to synthesize your own acid and dealing with dirty lab equipment capped the purity at 96.2% (I too was disappointed, lol).

-Gus had all this planned. The 'making Jesse feel important' and' the cartel causing trouble' timelines overlap too much and are cause/effect.

-RJ Mitte's disappointment when presented with a freakin' PT Cruiser was awesome. His conversation with his dad and his emotional response was awesome.

-Skylar is more of a liability than Jesse.

-'resistance forces Jesse to play Rage for real, and in this instance of primal reaction, he has no problem squeezing several rounds into a live human being.' -Party on Wayne.
Firstly, I love the symbolism in which Breaking Bad always relishes. The above example only deepens my love. The episodes keep getting more appealing, visually and dramatically, and this episode was on par as usual. I, too, think RJ Mitte held his own against the emmy-hog that is Cranston. I also agree that he is Walts last pure relationship and could potentially be an ace-in-the-hole. With that said, it is Breaking Bad so who knows, really?

I was highly disappointed with 96.2%, I half-expected their to be a bad reaction from the cartel when that purity-scale didnt read at least 99%. However, if Jesse is a Walt-ripoff, that quality will surely do.

I also want to comment on your opinion of Jesse and shooting back to kill. First and foremost, I absolutely love how this scene was shot. Movies could learn a lot from Breaking Bad. I felt like Jesse was shooting at me (3D please!). I also thought the way the scene was shot along with the look in Jesses eyes were meant to convey the notion that Jesse is still horrified by the squeeze of the trigger. He has not forgotten what he did to Gail and every pop of that gun was a stark reminder. The scene was almost haunting.

Once again, Bravo Breaking Bad,. Its writers, directors, producers and cast are all the best on TV. Shit just doesn't seem as real on anything anymore. Breaking Bad makes Sons of Anarchy look like it revolves around a daycare (which it arguably does to a certain extent). Walter White for life!
I think Gus originally wanted to kill Jesse after his greater foes (cartel) were taken care of. Maybe it's just me but Mike was about to shoot Jesse in the back when he was getting in the car until he got shot himself. They had to keep Jesse alive til then co'z he still needed the numbers in case Gus' poison plan didn't work.
Yeah, I noticed this as well. For a split second there, I thought Mike was going to shoot Jesse. But then the bullets started flying, and I just assume that Mike saw the shooter first and was trying to draw on him. It doesn't make too much sense to kill Jesse there when they had more than a few opportunities before hand to do so.
I thought the same thing, but I think it was just the way Mike was entering the car, If Mike and Gus wanted to Kill Jessie they would have had him drink the tequilla When the Don gave it to him
It was an unnatural movement: he raised his gun with his right hand, with his arm in between the open door and the car. He couldn't have sat down into the car with his arm raised. If he was attempting to cover himself while entering the vehicle he would have had to be holding the gun with his left hand. Therefore there was some purpose to raising his gun, maybe he saw movement and was planning to shoot the cartel guy before the first shot was fired, or maybe he was going to shoot Jessie, its impossible to say.
The production of the show is just topnotch, so far above average shows more like that of a movie. I've been waiting for Walt Jr. to show up more this season since he was a much bigger role in earlier seasons. I prefer scenes w/ him and Walt over anything relating to Skyler. I wasn't surprised by 96.2% b/c Jesse is not a chemist like Walt or even Gale, though he made more meth in his time, 'chili-p' was garbage. I thought he was actually going to do worst and disappoint the Mexicans but this is a hard show to predict. Skyler is just killing screen time. Ted is also annoying and I want the plot between them resolved next episode so the last two episodes can be more focussed on Gus and some moments of Walt genius/Heisenberg badassery
@Betrollin here, and to think 3 more episodes left!! The only reason I can think of for this storyline with Skylar is that in the end the IRS takes Walt down because they start investigating Skylar on how she got the $641K, I don't know if a car wash can pull that? I don't think that the writers would be showing this storyline for nothing right?

I thought this episodes paints Gus as more of a Dark Hero then a villain...he kills when he needs to, isn't cocky, and has had a troubled past hope they reveal more! Hope Mike makes it!
I totally agree Tim, except for one thing. Sure I hate Skyler like the rest of you, but I am thinking it's her cruddy story that will end up sealing the deal on Walter White. The SEC will take down Beneke and trace the funds to Skyler, which will then end up in a little birdy's ear named Hank. Walter should have offed Skyler from the get-go!