Brooke Shields fires Cruise missile

Former Suddenly Susan star Brooke Shields has written an op-ed piece in The New York Times lambasting War of the Worlds star Tom Cruise and his "ridiculous rant" about postpartum depression. The letter is the latest salvo in an ongoing public feud that Tom Cruise seems to be having with many different people at once.

In the op-ed piece, Brooke says, "I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression... his comments are a disservice to mothers."

The public altercation began several weeks ago, when Cruise slammed former Endless Love costar Brooke Shields for taking antidepressants following the birth of her child. Postpartum depression is a common condition experienced by women who have just given birth, but Cruise insisted that postpartum depression, and depression in general, were fake conditions. He said exercise and vitamins will help with mental illness.

Following this, Cruise either fell in love, or fell into an intricately created PR operation, with actress Katie Holmes. During this time he appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and hopped maniacally on Oprah's couch, pumped his fists in the air, and slapped the floor in excitement before grabbing Oprah by the hands and shouting "I'm in love!" In a serendipitous coincidence, Cruise later proposed to Holmes under Paris' Eiffel Tower the weekend her film Batman Begins opened.

More recently, Cruise had a battle of wills with a reporter from Access Hollywood in which the star intensely assured everyone that he was railing against psychiatry because he cared about them. Following this, he appeared on the Today show and had a testy exchange with interviewer Matt Lauer. When Lauer attempted to defend the attention deficit disorder drug Ritalin by saying he had known people who were helped by the drug, Cruise denied the existence of chemical imbalances in the brain and tersely asserted, "Matt, you don't know what you're talking about. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do. I have read the reports."

Last week, the American Psychiatric Association released a rebuttal to Cruise. In a statement the APA said, "It is irresponsible for Mr. Cruise to use his movie publicity tour to promote his own ideological views and deter people with mental illness from getting the care they need." Shields has stated that medication helped her immensely after her pregnancy.

Now that War of the Worlds is making a lot of money, nobody cares if Tom Cruise is weird.

are they still around?
While Cruise certainly has every right to his opinion, to attack another person for doing what they could to be the best mother she could be is just crass. Brooke had it right -- I don't recall Tom ever being a new mother with post-partum either. Unless he's been in that position, he shouldn't make judgments on it.
tom cruise is going to crash and burn. and i'm going to laugh and jump on oprah's lap when it happens.
It seems that everything that goes up must at one point come down. It is my firm belief that anyone who finds comfort in the scientology movement is on a narrow path leading nowhere. I feel for everyone buying in to this absolute rubbish, scientology is a quite destructive way of filling up the emptiness one can experience for one or the other reason. To lash out against psychiatry with no experience of it whatsoever is a clear sign of arrogance or stupidity, in the case of Tom Cruise: both. Scientology provides, as many other cults, simple answers for complicated questions. I am astounded to see how many people have fallen for this ridiculous nonsense created by a mediocre science fiction novelist. I wonder if there will ever be a cult founded on the ideas of Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek. The quote "Live long and prosper" might just take on a whole new meaning.
Tom Cruise has gone off the deep end and totally embraced this Scientology Bull****! I used to look up to him as a respected actor, and a generally good person. but this "religion"(actually, a cult) of his has sapped what made him a good man, and left him now just a raving idiot. why else would he divorse Nicole? I Had planned to go see War of the Worlds, but now, I don't want to give Cruise any more of my money.
Seriously, Tom Cruise is an idiot. I have no respect for him once so ever anymore, and yes, I have deystroyed the Top Gun DVD- still his fault for Goose's death- and I could care less about his new movie Independence Day 2, whoops! I meant War of the Worlds! Sorry, see I often get confused when the same exact concept is constantly duplicated and then sold off under a different name, seriously. Tom Cruise says he "reads the information" that says their is no such thing as a chemical imbalance occuring in the human brain, and that it is all make belief, and yet he says he believes 100 percent that there are little green bald headed men running around our universe. Where is that in writing? A man of proof he claims to be, show me the hard core proof that Aliens exist, and NO! Do not bring an actor dressed in an alien prop suit from war of the worlds with you, Sorry to dissapoint you Tom but those where costumes, CGI, and Robots used in the movie, not really "Aliens". I think Tom Cruise may of eaten one two many Hamburgers around England, and contracted Mad Cow, someone may want to examine his head to make sure his brain is still intact, all though I can pretty much tell ya what the answer there is going to be, what else can I say he is a washing up 43 year old actor who - coincedentally- changes out partners when they hit 30 years old, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, and now Katie Holmes, well atleast he'll have three years with her, and Next!I really don't feel like seeing Mission Impossible 3 next year anymore, if its going to have this hyprocrit in it.
I care that Tom Cruise is weird...I mean...he's just lost it.
My hope is that Tom makes a failed "Battlefield Earth" clone just like John Travolta. Although that doesn't seem to have stopped him... Hrmm.. Maybe we should just ignore him and he'll learn to stop being so immature.
I still like watching Tom Cruise in movies, especially Top Gun. I just don't want to watch him talk about Scientology.
Have you heard anyone say they wanted to see 'War of the Worlds' to see Tom Cruise in it? I've heard a few people say they might go see it in spite of him.

But I've heard MANY people say they're sick of Cruise's face, and don't care to see the movie because of it.

The guy is a moron and a boor to publicly condemn someone for their medical treatment. Oh, that's right, he's an expert....he read the literature.
anyone who isnt happy with nicole definitely has a screw loose :P

I feel sorry for poor ol'cruise but hey, it just goes to show you can't have it all.
I think everybody's entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, and everybody else should respect that.
I think Tom Cruise should respect the wishes of people who feel the need to take those drugs and not keep trying to persuade them to be like him.
But I respect him for standing up so strongly for what he believes, however crazy I think his beliefs are.
I've come to the conclusion that obviously Tom Cruise has stopped taking his medication. His comments are absurd and it's obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. Tom needs to grow up and act his age.
Cruise, like millions of others, has fallen prey to L. Ron Hubbard cult, Scientology. Hubbard first presented it as an alternative to Psychiatry, and then figured out that he could make all his money tax free if he convinced the federal government that it was a religion, rather than a science. It worked (because in America, religion is a politically hands-off topic), and now millions read the rantings of crazed multi-millionaire Hubbard as if they are fact. Actors, being very undereducated people with huge egos that get stroked by cult members, become victims at an alarming rate. Check http://www.xenu.net/ to see more info on the history of Scientology; ESPECIALLY important are the many video clips from news shows past and present in the "Radio & TV Vault" toward the bottom of the page.
While I'm not a fan of Ms.Shields'

films or her tv series:"Suddenly

Susan".

I have to agree with her that Mr.Cruise's

remarks about her refraining from taking

drugs for her post partum depression is

inappropriate.

He has no right to meddle in her

personal life or tell her how to deal

with her emotional problems.

Besides,Ms.Shields doctor perscribed

the drugs and the doctor made sure that

the dossage was not dangerious for her.

After the drugs had helped her out of

her mential funk..she was carefully weened

off of them and she is back to her self

again.

No one not even Mr.Tom Cruise has the

right to meddle in someone else's life.

Even if they mean well..some people

have to learn to shut up and leave well

enough alone.

FunTVT.
I'm not even going to put any energy into replying to that last post...total immaturity and ignorance...

Anyway...I'm 15 years old and throughout my entire 15 years on this earth I have been suffering from bipolar disorder, OCD, ADD, panic-anxiety, social-anxiety, and paranoia. I was on medication and they made me worse. Medication ****s. I agree with that. Tom shouldn't have singled Brooke Shields out, and mental illnesses ARE a real thing, but medication is NOT the best way to treat them. It's probably, in the long run, one of the worse things you can do for yourself and for your body. Some people, unfortunately, are too ignorant to know anything else.

Hate to agree with Tom, because he IS a whacko, but the best way to treat depressions are with vitamins. Studies have shown and proved that every single person that has been diagnosed with some sort of depression has also been diagnosed with an anemia or lack of iron or B-vitamins. I was lacking iron and anemic when I was a baby. Bipolar and depressions are actually caused by that B-vitamin defficiency, so wouldn't it make sense that to CURE that defficiency, you put more B-vitamins into your system? When you cure that lack, you are also curing the disorder. PPD, it might be different for because that is horomonal, but for bipolar and regular depression, B-vitamin supplements are the way to go. They are natural and safe, and actually work to CURE the disorder, instead of just covering it up like the meds do...as soon as a patient on medication goes off their meds, their symtoms return without fail...not to mention that medications are foreign substances...chemicals...why would you want something like that in you?

Meds are bad, that's it...just bad...but there ARE such things are mental illnesses...I should know better than anybody!
im on Cruises side, hes a man, Brooke Shields is a woman, need i say more?
The thing that upsets me most about Tom Cruise's comments is that they are directed at a population of people who are already stigmatized. I am getting my Ph.D. in family therapy and have worked in a variety of settings, including a psychiatric facility, and I know what people who are suffering from mental illness look and sound like without medication. Put Mr. Cruise in this situation for one day and see if his opinion changes. It angers me when people treat depression, bi-polar disorder, and other mental illnesses like it is a choice of the person. It isn't a diabetic's choice to be a diabetic and we don't tell them not to take insulin. It is interesting that a man who dropped out of high school should become an expert on psychiatry by reading a few books. Where can I sign up for that educational achievement?
Im with Brooke, Tom has gone mental I think he has a mental illness himself and he isnt taking his medication.
I think most of the parents in our time are to lazy to deal with their children. Retalin is maybe an easy way to calm their kids down. Of course there are kids who need this medication, but I think most of those who take Retalin don't.
Mr. Cruise is right when he says that light depressions can be solved with other things than pills but sure not all depressions. The thing is, the Americans take to much pills at all, even if they don't need to.
Tom has taken a big phat steamy dump all over his career. I used to like the guy... BEFORE I knew anything about him. Now everytime I see one of his movies that I have enjoyed in the past I will just see that raving lunatic on the Today Show. And all this Katie business? Phu Phu Phu Phoney!!! Tom come on! Come out of the closet!! Maybe you would be normal as an out of the closet **** man... instead of this retarted ego maniac you have become...
Funny how a "religion" with a name that contains the word science, adamantly disregards scientific facts.
For god's sake, just leave her alone, Tom. It isn't your business so don't poke your nose into a situation where it doesn't belong. Go make some more H.G. Wells remakes.
I hate to break it to Tom, but reading the literature does not make him an expert in the field of Psychiatry. How many patients has he worked with? As a mother who had post-partum depression, and a mother of an ADD child, I think he needs to walk a mile in my shoes first... What a dope! (No pun intended)
We are an overmedicated society. I believe that half the medication prescriped is not needed. Having said that, Tom is on a trip. He can say anything he wants, and if it works for him, great. It just doesnt work for everyone. Im not sure why people are so surprised, lots of people believe crazy things.
some americans dispute we walked on the moon, and some of them are reputable people.
some people believe there was no holocaust.
is it so surprising that a hollywood personality would NOT believe in medication or psychriatry? The ironic part of it , is that Tom Cruise really appears to be in a manic phase of manic depression himself.
i think is amusing.
Tom reads the 'works' of L Ron Hubbard - leader of the (?bogus?) Scientologists.

Enough said already. Cruise has an ego wayyy ahead of his inteligence.
So when did Tom Cruise get this massive training in psychiatry? Before or after he joined a religion started by a sci fi writer?
I'm on Brooke Shields' side here. Anti-depressants aren't a miracle. They don't solve your problems, but if you have a mental illness they can make your problems much easier to deal with. Tom Cruise shouldn't be telling people how to deal with their medical conditions.