Bruce Jones' rehab request refused

The former Coronation Street actor, back in Mold Crown Court after admitting dangerous driving last week, asked for his sentencing to be deferred or brought forward so he can travel to the clinic in Cape Town to beat his alcoholism - but the request was refused by Judge Rogers because Jones may yet face a jail term.

Jones, 57, admitted yanking the steering wheel of his wife Sandra's Mercedes M Class car from her hand as she drove along a busy road, and the court heard he shouted he would kill them both.

He has since vowed to beat the bottle and save his marriage.

Matthew Paul, defending, told Judge John Rogers QC the actor had been offered an immediate place at the centre, which he asked not to be named in public to protect his client's privacy.

Mr Paul said: "A place has been identified at a respected organisation.

"The people there say the most effective way to begin this treatment is to start immediately.

"It would in no way interfere with the interests of justice. It would assist justice to allow him to pay for his own treatment and attend the clinic in private."

But Judge Rogers said: "I have seen the application that he might go to South Africa and I'm afraid it does not accord with what the trial judge has deemed the appropriate course of action."

Jones was bailed with conditions that he lives and sleeps at an address given to court, remains there between 9pm and 7am after March 25 and he cannot contact his wife. He will be sentenced on April 16.

Comments
Submit
There are no comments yet. Be the first by writing down your thoughts above.

Like TV.com on Facebook