BSG boss: No more until 2009

Battlestar Galactica creator Ronald D. Moore has confirmed what most fans have suspected for a while now: Oprah is the final Cylon. Kidding!

Moore told TVGuide.com that he doesn't see any way that the second half of Battlestar's season would air in 2008, confirming what had been speculated long ago. Previously, cast members had said that the last 10 episodes of the fourth and final season would not air this year, causing distress among the show's fans everywhere.

The Sci Fi Channel had a special sneak peek screening for the midseason finale in Los Angeles on Wednesday, and Moore told TVGuide.com, "Realistically there's no way to get back on the air faster [than early 2009]." It's not just about post-production, though. The network understandably wants to avoid competition with other competitors, such as major networks' fall schedules.

Battlestar Galactica's midseason finale airs tonight (enjoy it, as there probably won't be any new episodes for more than six months), and shooting on the series finale is reportedly under way.

There are obviously two ways to think about this--the glass-half-full fan would say, "Take your time, Ron. Get it right and let's see Battlestar go out with a bang!" The glass-half-empty fan thinks, "I don’t want to wait that long!" Which are you?

[UPDATE] The Chicago Tribune says that BSG's wait may be worth it. Citing "inside sources," the paper says the final season could be extended by as many as two hours! The two extra hours--if true--would probably be added to the final episode, making it one heck of a mega-finale. Apparently Moore's finale script is big.

Another bit of good news: At least one of the previously reported Battlestar TV movies is looking very likely. The movie would be similar to the Razor telefilm, and flesh out a tangential storyline.

Wait a minute... DINO-MITE. I can work with that!

BSG, great show (understatement!!!), whatever they do will be best I think. Like drugs, you shoudn't want it all at once! ha ha ha (WiNK)
I saw a quote from Jamie Bamber that goes a bit like this(paraphrase): Sci-Fi Channel isn't used to producing such high quality programming, they don't know what to do.

Well, that's true. We must remember that this is the same network that consistently shells out movies such as: Ice Spiders and Aztec Rex. I'm just waiting to see DINO-MITE: The story of a dinosaur made out of dinomite. It's coming, you'll see.
I'm one of the the-glass-is-half-full fans: as much as I love this show, i rather have it done right and wait, then watching a lousy last half season.
and I hope the movie will just as good as the series itself.
Whilst in someways the idea of delaying the release of the final part of the series is interesting. At the moment there is probably nothing the compares with BSG at the moment. However, who is to say that will be the case in 2009; also bear in mind people tend to have short focused memories regarding TV shows, so this gamble might end up back firing with viewing figures falling when it returns.
Personally i would prefer Ron Moore to craft the perfect ending for BSG. so i guessi fall into the glass half full category. i would hate to see BSG rushed by fan pressure and pressure from the TV companies to get it rush out and get a half baked ending to the series.
WARNING: SPOILERS. 'All good things to those that wait'. Although I too was slightly disappointed by the first half of this season due to its slower-than-slow pace and overbearing sense of doom it has improved these last few episodes. The acting of Olmos in the mid-season finale was probably the zenith of his career and should get him an award if there is any justice in this world. Finding Earth so quickly did come as a bit of a surprise although finding it a wasteland perhaps less of one. If the show had ended this way I would have felt very cheated but as a mid-season cliffhanger it is ok although not brilliant. I think this season will work far better rewatching on DVD with the others viewed immediately prior to it.
why do we have to wait soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long!
I'm confused.
well i realy hope they dont all of a sudden have those lame old floating motor bikes they did in the old seris when they got to earth lol.

also when it was pointed out that there was only 4 of the 5 cylons in the fleet, did that mean that the 5th was on board the cylon ship already..? i.e. laura or gias....?
I am disappointed we have to wait next year, This season has been rather disappointing and to find so called earth at a point in time of Post Apocalyptic era is rather lame and and no real surprise (an easy end I think). So surely this cant be the real earth for it to air another 10 episodes in 2009????? So i hope there is a twist, I would love to see them reach earth, join with the humans and finish the remaining cylons who survived the resurrection ships destruction instead of barren wastelands. Lets hope that these last 10 episodes make up for the Young and the Restless first part of this season. It was way to dramatic and lets get the FRAK back to finishing the cylons and meeting McCain in his bunker!!!!!!! Also there is still the question WHO IS THE FINAL CYLON - Starbuck???? Now that would be to easy AGAIN
Ron Moore has always said that the show was topical (ie - mirrors what's happening in today's world events especially with the USA), hence he has to wait for the final episode which could be 2 hours if the Chicago Trib is correct because Moore's finale script is big, but that script can still be tweaked in time to take into count this year's presidential election results and that will no doubt be reflected in the end episode. Obama vs. McCain will play a roll in the last episode of this series.
Now being British I’m probably going to get shouted at about this but the end scene looks like a post nuclear war sky line of Manhattan island complete with a destroyed Brooklyn bridge at the end. If I’m wrong then I must apologies, Geography has never been a good subject of mine but as for History ;-)
Way too long to wait. people are going to lose their hype probably
I just watched the mid-season finale... can't believe we have to wait till next year for more. Also i was expecting the whole series to end that way... what happens now?
Oh, yeah, and Oprah as the final Cylon fits - she's trying to submerge humanity in trite, mediocrity and awesome brain-sucking powers of Dr. Phil! Beware!
The problem here is that (well, aside from pissing a lot of fans off) they will be letting the really good hype die down again. On the positive side, it's still the best thing on TV so I'm sure they'll pick it up again and kick the beejezus out of everything else on in January.
didnt hear of this show until the final season now.. i guess ppl like it
I don't even like this show anyway
Wow i bet this guy is lying in his castle somewhere thinking we're all suckers!

Post production is alot faster than movies! Competition.... trying not to laugh .... what a sh@t excuse!

Just wants to drag it on like a few peep say.... alot of people moaning about how this series is turning out (despite THAT ending)! Oh dear what a rubbish yr for telly
The buzz surrounding the 2nd half of the final season is pretty good, and with an excellent mid-season finale to boot, I'm definitely a BSG fan with a glass half-full!
Okay, we’ve all spent years waiting for Battlestar’s population to get through the ---fight/flee/kill --- fight/flee/kill --- stage of the show. Lets hope that is not the only stage the writers are capable of. There had BETTER be a really great --- colonization/build/create-in-peace/propagate the new species --- stage that lasts just as long. Anyone can write a --- fight/flee/kill --- show…how good are the writers? Now we find out. If they ARE good, in 2009, Battlestar’s people will discover there are places on Earth that are NOT radioactive and they will start colonizing. And that will NOT be --- the end, they lived happily ever after but we are too lazy to, or unimaginative to, write a show about that. It will be a show about discovering Earth sent them all out to keep them safe and bring them back when there might be a few areas no longer radioactive. It will be about discovering this and then (1) terraforming the nonradioactive areas to create a viable area to grow crops and marinelife, (2) learning to live together peacefully with intermarriages and cross-bred children, etc, (3) discovering new plants to provide food and medications(4) realizing people need to see something beautiful to remain happy and healthy, so creating a “beautiful garden topography” with scientists onboard devoted solely to coming up with flowers and trees and grass that can survive on this NEW planet and give people a visually pleasing place to live (5) lets not forget babies, babies, babies …. And all that goes with them such as kids needing teachers and doctors and friends, and growing to teenagers who cause problems … what kind of problems? Gee, did a kid EVER do what he was told? There are radioactive areas out there they “shouldn’t go into” but do, and dangerous terraforming equipment they “should not play around” but do, and possibly a limited supply of seeds and fish eggs and other items needed to restock this new planet that they “shouldn’t mess with” but do … with all the following consequences. Writers, use your imaginations (or your worst parental fears) and put it in the show. Don’t stop with --- gosh, we found earth, we’re done now --- like every other unimaginative show always does. Don't be that show again. Do something brave and create a show in which the colony can now grow and expand, and so can it’s viewers. If you are going to make us wait a year to see the ending, lets make it a REAL NEW BEGINNING instead and let’s watch Battlestar make a new earth without all the --- shoot-em-up, bang, bang --- we’ve had enough of in every scifi since scifi's began. Let’s have something more. Something better. And for goodness sake don't spoil it with --- monsters coming out of the radioactive areas --- that ploy was so lame we used to laugh at it's stupidity when we were just kids - and our kids are even smarter now. Let us not make that mistake again, okay? Let's keep it real - as you've pretty much done so far, but with much more substance - real lives on a real world with something more than just fighting and fighting and fighting. Lets show people winning against the REAL war - learning to work with the elements and with each other to create a better life together for themselves, their kids, and their friends.
Feeling LOST. Really though, Its an ok point. But Sci-fi had better give us a good friday night in the meantime. Rather that awful Saturday night.
FRAK!!!
That is horrible. Why 6 months. Here is a quote.

-It's not just about post-production, though. The network understandably wants to avoid competition with other competitors, such as major networks' fall schedules-

What other networks have their hit shows air at 10:00 on a friday? You have no competition, you just want to drag it out. That is just stupid. Yes I understand take you time do it right. But you are probably going to be done with second half of the season months before the second half even premieres. It's not fair to BSG fans to wait a year and a half for season 4 to start. and then have to wait another 6 months to catch the second half of it.
I knew it I figured that Oprah was the final Cylon
wow tonights episode was awesome i want to live on that earth!!!
well 6 months is not to bad considering they made us wait about a year and a half for season 4 to start plus they are giving us 2 more hours for the season with at least 1 guaranteed movie coming out. I guess I am a glass half full kinda guy when it comes to this beyond amazing show.
Nooooo. I'll wait, but I won't be happy about it. I wonder if they'll release a season 4.0 DVD like they did with 2.0 That might tide me over.
i will miss it but i say do it right
you mean like, BSG reruns?
does this mean that scifi might have something good on late on Fridays? :-)
I have mixed feelings. I want this show to end great. But SIX MONTHS. Ok fine, who am I kidding, I'll be a good girl and wait int he corner. Ok what to do for six month.....It better be worth it.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

THIS MAKES ME SO MAD !
Take your time Ron, definitely take your time. Let's give them something too talk about. :)
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Dang that writers strike!! Still killing me!!

I just hope that tonights episode leaves it in a way better than the "Coming in 2008" crap we got after S-buck blew up... what an awful way to end that one for over a YEAR. Don't make it that long, PLEEEEEAAAASSSSSE!!!!
I can wait I really want to see BSG go out with a bang
Well... I'm not really happy about all the long breaks this show has seen, but I have faith that the wait will be worth it.
Glass half full or glass half empty: I've got more than one drink on the go, so....