Burn Notice's Season 6 Premiere: The Glory of Love

Burn Notice S06E01: "Scorched Earth"

Gosh, having a nemesis is the absolute worst. Like life wasn't hard enough—what with pondering all the mysteries of the universe, figuring how one fits into it all, and sobering up in time to pick up the kids from trombone lessons, just to have some mortal enemy bust your chops every step of the way, all for the heck of it? A nemesis basically doubles your to-do list, because every other item is "...and watch out for so-and-so." No. Thanks.

In last night's Season 6 premiere of Burn Notice, "Scorched Earth," the one-man A-Team that is Michael Westen came fist-punchingly close to taking down his own nemesis, Anson Fullerton. The squinty leader and final member of the organization that ruined Michael's spy career many missions ago spent the better half of Season 5 forcing him to burn other spies, so that Anson might recruit them to rebuild his network of secret haters, sidling up to them all like, "So, I hear you're out of work..." Like any good villain, Anson used Mike's one true love Fiona as leverage, while also trying to implicate him in a bombing at the British Consulate that left three people dead, just because he's a huge punk like that. However the good Irish lass that she is, Fi' turned herself in, which broke Mike's heart, but also left him free to pursue Anson...with extreme prejudice.

So while Fiona dealt with the wrong end of the law, Michael was across town, sitting alone in his car under the beautiful Miami sun, brooding over her gun powder-and-White Shoulders-scented letter (probably listening to Sheryl Crow's "The First Cut is the Deepest" on repeat).

Sam rolled up to bro out with Mike by telling him that this is the way it had to be, and that Fiona had to stop him from betraying all his friends and government and what not. Mike wasn't really hearing it, because he was all pissed at Sam for not stopping Fiona when he had the chance, a sentiment best expressed via neck pinch.

Weepy Westen may have a killer's tiny heart, but inside that heart is an even tinier (yet metaphorically bigger) lover's heart, and you just know when there's emotion involved some serious butt-kicking is afoot. It's a strong conflict to imbue in a character—whether he should ruin his professional life for a chance at love, or let that certain someone fade into the past/get the chair for terrorism. Last season ended with the ex-lovers sharing true romantic feelings for each other, so I suspect romance is on the horizon. If nothing else, Michael's landed himself a hell of an audition story for The Bachelor.

En route to check in with the CIA, Sam and Mike got word from Jesse that Anson had been spotted zooming through Magic City on his way to some escape boats, so the two cooked up a plan to stall a major highway and slow up his getaway by—you guessed it: stealing and exploding a semi-truck.

Ka-boom! Sorry, can't give you spy points on this one, Michael, because that is just a no-brainer. Exactly what I would do. Also, is anyone keeping tabs on all the MacGyver tips Westen's been doling out? I like to think somewhere there's a spy-in-the-making with 300 Meads full of this info, just waiting for the credits to roll on the series finale before using some magnet shards, Staples-brand Air Duster, and a jerry-rigged Wet Vac to launch himself out his roof and into the Pentagon.

Speaking of federal buildings, Fiona spent the entire episode having a massive snooze of a sit-in with one Jason Bly (who once blackmailed Michael, but then they made good by surviving a bank robbery together in Season 2). The CSS representative aimed to make Fiona name Michael as a suspect in the bombing, but her Gaelic pride was just not having it. This was the most boring plot thread, just one character literally shackled to a room. I know it was necessary to the story being told but I wish the creators did more to show us the emotional exhaustion Fi' had to endure. She has to pretend that she is not in love with the man she loves in order to protect him—that is super romantic! Yet, all we got were a few scenes with the intensity of a bad job interview. Also, what was the significance of that little girl Fiona made eye contact with during her arrest? A ghost representing her lost innocence? Secret little-person operative? Therapy droid?

On the road, Michael and Sam were able to successfully flush Anson out of his car, but he escaped to a nearby chemical plant before they could get to him. And as if things weren't bad enough, Michael then received a call from Anson bragging about how he also dispatched some psycho Army Ranger to Michael's mom's house, where Madeline was currently enjoying a cigarette and sandwich, in no particular order.

Mommie likes her sammie! Before they could call Jesse the errand boy to go check on Ms. Westen, the crazy army dude smashed through her door... but luckily she was able to hide in a laundry basket or a giant fern or some such. Full disclosure, I do this anytime my landlord comes a-knocking. The point is, I don't know where she went, and neither did the highly trained tactical combat expert. While the skilled trooper lifted up cookie jar lids with his pistol tip and checked the water-heater closet, some more boring stuff happened with Bly trying to lead a stubborn Fiona into fingering Michael and blah, blah, blah. Get to the explosions!

So then at the chemical plant Sam and Michael apprehended some security guards and got them to clear the facilities by using walkie-talkie magic and lying to coworkers. Looks like those five afternoons of team-building exercises paid off, trustworthy chemical plant employees! What kind of chemicals did this plant even manufacture? Mouth wash? Bomb water? Plus I don't know if anyone else noticed the soundtrack during this shootout sequence, but there was some pure dubstep going on. Scrillex? More like Kill-ex!

Back at Mama W's house, Jesse finally arrived just in time to distract the army goon long enough for Madeline to blast through her own ceiling from the attic and connect with a shoulder shot. Great aim, lady! Someone's been playing her PS3. Peek-a-boo!

In the meantime, Ol' Sly Larry Bly got a hold of some photos from Michael's roadside truck explosion, and tried working more lip-voodoo on Fiona to make her think her man was street confetti. Just why on earth did he think this would work? Fiona is so smart, especially when it comes to things blowing up, plus it'd be random for Michael to perish this way. I do not think Fiona even for a second felt Michael was dead. Nice try, Bly! Bly-ar, Bly-ar pants on fire!

Heck, not only was Michael alive and doddering around the facility (always with the "facilities"!), he and Sam set off an alarm causing a mass evacuation and then they totally caught the real Anson...

Psych! It was just a perfectly identical Anson look-alike who Michael whipped around. Poor guy, all he wanted was to go home and sing to his turtles. Hell, at least he got to leave work early. Suffice to say, by now Michael was getting pretty antsy, I guess feeling his spy version of performance anxiety. Don't worry you got this Michael!

Whoops then he pulled a gun on Sam. Was this supposed to be a thing? Was Michael getting closer and closer to the "edge?" I kind of got that impression, but mostly I was a little surprised that he would treat Sam this way. Sam's your buddy! He's trying to look out for you! As punishment, CIA contact Kim "Dani" Pearce (because sometimes people go by "Dani" if their name is not that) made him stay behind and man the security cameras. There was another voiceover implying that Michael was so stressed he may have hallucinated a fence moving on the monitor. It took me a couple of watches to figure out what was even wrong with this fence. Mostly I was just like "yeah, the nut has finally cracked!" But then I was wrong and it turned out to be Anson relieving himself.

No seriously, the bad guy was actually trying to escape, which made Michael get straight punchy on him. Unfortunately, Anson had a detonator wired to blow the facility sky-high, chemicals and all. Shame-faced, Michael let his nemesis escape and warned his friends to get the heck on out of that there building (redeeming himself via the concept of not betraying his friends and government for the sake of personal vendettas). Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE.

In the end all survived, except for probably seven seagulls I bet Michael tagged while firing blindly at Anson's escape boat. Though he failed in catching Handsom' Anson, Mikey W. succeeded in finally getting the CIA to believe that his nemesis was indeed a threat to this beautiful nation and beyond. Sadly, back at the federal building, Fiona perished of boredom.

SPY CHAT

– Is it good and right and just, what Fiona is doing for the sake of Michael?

– Will he save her?

– Is their love the greatest love of all?

– Where was Anson off to?

– Will Anson get his comeuppance?

– Was Michael way too hard on Sam?

– Will Fiona and Michael "make it"?

– Do you have a nemesis?

– Does it taste good to smoke a cigarette while eating a sandwich?

– Is it good and right and just, what Fiona is doing for the sake of Michael? She thinks it is and that's all that really matters.

– Will he save her? of course...

– Is their love the greatest love of all? no.

– Where was Anson off to? wherever the Joker hangs out in the Batman story...

– Will Anson get his comeuppance? I hope so. I think Michael will have to kill him at some point, it wouldn't be as satisfying if he just went to jail.

– Was Michael way too hard on Sam? No, his reaction was entirely proportional to the betrayal he felt had been committed against him by his girlfriend and best friend.

– Will Fiona and Michael "make it"? maybe.

– Do you have a nemesis? no.

– Does it taste good to smoke a cigarette while eating a sandwich? I wouldn't know. But I love how this is a typical Wednesday lunch time for Madeline.

Side Note: On the DVD episode description, it says "Fiona is interrogated by a former nemesis." I don't think Jason Bly really qualifies as her nemesis. He's not smart enough for that. Also, I've been trying to figure out how old Michael is for a while. I guessed somewhere around 40-45 but I thought that sounded too old for how he looks. Thanks for clearing this up for me, ha ha.
Staff
Also, how psyched is everyone that John C. McGinley is starting a 5-episode arc with tonight's episode? Campbell v. McGinley is the perfect match up in awesome senior dude territory!

I still love this show but some plot holes seem too gaping to ignore. Anson gets away on a boat into the harbor? With all the technology and operatives at their disposal there's no way to track that boat? Mike has a visual (and so will anyone else who wanders over). Jeez, call Miami PD. They have helicopters. They have boats. Call Harbor Patrol. Frickin' call Dexter. He's got a boat and likes to kill psychopaths. Seriously, it could have been explained by a quick throwaway line... such as ... "they stopped the boat, but Anson wasn't on it. He must have had diving equipment." The writers are snoozing more and more.
In real life, equipment doesn't work like that. Sure, they have satellite, but satellites need to be told where to look. If Anson got away on a boat and there wasn't already a satellite tracking him, it's not possible to track him that way.
Where did I mention satellites? Here's a valuable spy tip: I didn't. I said helicopters and boats. And I'm going to take a wild guess and say Miami has these things called telephones. And there might even be.... gasp... cell phones. You use them to communicate, as in... "I've got eyes on a boat in such-and-such harbor with an extremely dangerous murderer who threatens national security." Valuable spy tip #2: helicopters go faster than Anson's boat.

Satellites? Who said satellites? Try reading. It helps.
Staff
I think in the Burn Notice universe we have to agree to disagree that the CIA is hells of "daft."
And one more thing. If you don't love chain-smoking Maddie, you have no heart at all. She's the best thing on there -Thanks Sharon Gless...
Oh, and Jere Burn's Anson can't hold a candle to Garrett Dilahunt's Simon. Too bad he's so busy Raising Hope these days, and who knew this almost always bad guy could be so damn funny as a dimbulb...
I'm sorry, this show - while still entertaining - is off the rails. We saw last season while Michael was bored he can never give up this life - even for Fiona - because he loves "the jazz" too much, to quote Peppard. Also, Anson is way too clever and resourceful for Michael and the gang to ever realistically beat him. They gotta get lucky, which is ho hum at best. And Michael did some pretty shady stuff in his pursuit do far and needed bitch-slapping badly by Sam. And Fiona had the only correct answer so she'll get out of this easily now that e3verybody knows Anson is the bad guy. All this crap takes depth away from the characters and the whole Burn Notice thing is gone by the wayside. Just make them the new A-Team for lord's sake and get it over with. Love the show but it's no LEVERAGE...
Just stop talking. Please. Go away. No one cares what you think. No, really!! Take your dopey allusions to other shows and go make me a turkey pot pie.
-If I were Fi, I would probably have done that, too. I'm a True Love person at heart, and she would do anything for Michael, including stopping him from completely reversing his life just to save her. Good for her.

-Of course he will. He's Michael Westen.

-Their love is the greatest love of all (at least on this show). That is, of course, second to Maddie's love of cigarettes.

-Anson is off to the Caribbean, creating his army of thugs.

-Of course he will, though if I were the show, I'd drag it out until the show's finale. I'd set up sub-Bosses for any other "big" moments before the series finale. Though of course he has to show up every now and again to piss off Michael.

-Michael was too hard on Sam. On the other hand, I thought it was a realistic and nice break-down of his logic. He finally got pushed too hard on one end, the other end turned herself in and he lost all sense of focus except for Anson.

-Of course they will. This show wouldn't exist without their love of each other.

-I have several. But mainly just the one. And the day will come when I shall have none....

-Cigarettes are disgusting. Just saying. Sandwiches are kind of awesome.
Practically all action and no "client of the week" equals good beginning. The dilemma of Fi's turning herself in really backed Michael into a big ball of hate ready to erupt all over Anson. He almost succeeds, but not quite as Anson gets away in a blast of destruction and at least one dead body.

As always there's the hard to completely ignore silly plot holes, but they're usually tempered pretty well with action and that's the case here. I've mentioned, and read others, saying the repetitiveness weighs things down more with every season. It appears it may be apparent to the writers and even if this initial season opener has no choice but to go there as Michael gets ever closer to taking Anson down there seems to be a general feeling that this may get addressed as the hunt continues.

So, all in all, a good season opener with the promise that the story will build to a head and, possibly, a revamp within reason. I am definitely in for what is to come in the next few months!
Nemesis = my neighbors. LOL
Loved this premiere from beginning to end. Seeing all that emotion on Michael's face, Anson getting away (again!), Jesse being included in the opening credits, the drama and the explosions! Man I love this show!
Jesse's been in the opening credits for two seasons - Coby Bell...
Coby Bell's been in the opening credits all right, but he wasn't in the opening SEQUENCE ("My name is Michael Westen.....") USA tweeked the opening sequence this year, adding the character of Jesse ("a down-and-out spy"), and sort of promoting Fi from "gun-toting ex-girlfriend" to "gun-toting girlfriend"
Staff
It sounds like next time we'll have to discuss how to make Jesse fit in.
I was glad Jesse made the opening credits too!
I thought that the episode rocked in everyway I can't wait for Anson to be 6 feet under and also I can't wait for the new Villian to emerge form what I hear he is soppose to we the worst of the worst.
Staff
It sounds like the new villain HAS already emerged: Jesse!
I don't understand all the negativity in the comments. There haven't been many episodes that got me emotionally involved, that got me to *care* about what's happening. But this one did. Yes, a few things in this episode were pretty silly, but let's be honest, we can say that about most episodes of Burn Notice. Since this one made me care, I have to consider it one of the best episodes of the show.

I didn't like the whole "dead man's switch" thing. I was hoping that it would turn out to be a complete bluff. (It sort of was, since it was just a tiny explosion, instead of the whole plant as he had promised). But I wanted to hear Michael say something like "Really? You expect me to believe that you packed a bag full of explosives and brought it here when you had to leave the car in a hurry?" I also wanted him to kill Anson. He's a good enough villain, but enough already. It's time to move on.
Is it good and right and just, what Fiona is doing for the sake of Michael?

Will he save her?

Yes, for sure.

Is their love the greatest love of all?

See above answer. :)

Where was Anson off to?

Probably with Rebecca, the chick from the Season 5 finale that was the CIA spy.

Will Anson get his comeuppance?

His what now? :P

Was Michael way too hard on Sam?

Yes, but those were very strong scenes.

Will Fiona and Michael "make it"?

Depends on where they're going to.

Do you have a nemesis?

Nope.

Does it taste good to smoke a cigarette while eating a sandwich?

No comment.
Yes to all, especially "Where was Anson off to?"
I love this show, but one question, Doesn't the CIA not operate on US soil?
Eh, this was a pretty decent season premiere. Back during its first two or three seasons, Burn Notice was one of my favorite shows on TV. But it has done nothing but drop since then. The main reason? It is WAY too repetitive. I like the characters; I like the voice-over info Mike dishes out; I like the heart between the characters. The big-picture-plots and story-lines, however, are getting too repetitive and I don't find much entertainment in them.

I never would've thought I'd say these words about any show, but I'd rather Burn Notice go back to a case-of-the-week format. That's right: to stop being repetitive and formulaic, I think they should be MORE like a procedural... Ugh.
[sarcasm] Right, just have him get burned again, so he can go back to being an unlicensed P.I. who solves a new case each week, and whines about how he misses his old job. That would make it much less repetitive. [/sarcasm]
How would going back to case-of-the-week be less repetitive? The idea of becoming serialized is so that the show can have real plot developments with every episode.
I haven't been able to see the headlines pictures and the pictures of this article, even though I've sued Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. Anybody else has had that problem?
Great recap!! So excited for this season, I liked the change to the intro, I mean Fiona hasn't been his "ex" gf for like 3 seasons, and Jesse is definitely part of the team now.

I think it was fine for Fi to go to jail she'll they'll get her out eventually, I forgot the states has capital punishment....I kinda just thought she'd be going to jail, but I'm pretty sure it would take ages for her to even get close to the death penalty, so the boys have plenty of time to break her out/clear her name.

Anson pisses me off, I hate spending majority of an episode just really frustrated that they are all being played and then he gets away. I can't wait for him to get destroyed that is going to be the best episode.

Also I love Maddie she's the best! She can handle anything, tough cookie that woman is. Can't wait for next week!
Staff
My guess is that Anson will be around for about 4-6 more episodes. Long enough to become more EVIL than Gus from Breakind Bad - more evil than Darth Vader, and long enough to pass the torch to whoever takes over his network - maybe that little girl?
Wow. Haters gonna hate.

Since the end of season 4 people have been asking for a change in the opening. Now it's changed, and people are complaining.

Deal with it guys, Jesse is on the main cast. Has been since season 4. And he was hilarious in season 5, also great last night.
My issue with the show (and the main reason I tuned out last season) is that they continue to make Mike look so foolish by always having the adversaries run him through hoops. That coupled with his never ending obsessions (find out who burned me/get back in the good graces of the company) is dragging the show down.

And he doesn't even heed the advice of his (Fi,Sam,Mom,Jesse) family when they try to talk sense into him.

What happened to the light fun it used to be?
Staff
You raise an interesting point about the series as a whole. Can you raise dangerous stakes for Mike while maintaining a fun, reckless tone? As far as super-spies go, you either want them completely cold and bad ass, or to be nut jobs justified in their actions by amazing skills. In a lot of ways it reminds me of the A-Team, back when a constant threat of theirs was staying out of sight of the military police. Eventually, their deaths were faked, they got a sidekick, and started working for an independently wealthy figure. What Burn Notice has on the A-Team, is that by keeping Anson alive as the last remnants of the organization that burned Mike there's still a hint of his original rivalry, and a chance to revive the old ways. We're in a corner, because Mike barely has any friends, but we would need those friends to be put in peril, and if those same friends are routinely put in similar peril, we just don't think they're in that much danger. Maybe the solution is to give Mike amnesia and turn into a hobo, a la Person of Interest?
Him having adversaries would not be much of a problem for me if it wasn't for the way they keep recycling the premise. I mean look back at how many of them have had him doing their bidding over the past 5 seasons. It's crazy!!

At least they got rid of the Fi constantly whining and wondering what the future held for her and Mike, by moving them in together. Jesse has seemlessly moved into the cast, Sam still is the truth.

Let's just get Michael back on his game and make the show fun again.
What I don't get, is where did Anson get the explosives?? He was in his car on the way to the boat and when Michael jammed the road, he went to a chemical plant. Was he carrying a bag of explosives with him all the time??
good point! I like the road block and insurance gag by Sam . lol Jere Burns is a super bad ass. If they solved everything during first return episode the season sure would be short. I like when they add more villains. ''where did they come from'' tease.
The problem I now have with this show and the problem this show now has is one big thing and three little words. Person Of Interest. I can't help but draw parallels between the two shows. i thought that is what POI was going to be. A darker version of Burn Notice. I mean CBS does tend to "borrow" ideas from USA cough#(@ The Mentalist and Psych.

Now granted they are for different audiences and exist in different worlds. But I won't be able to not draw parallels between the two. And I couldn't help but see that Mike was a little more of a badass that episode than normal. Now I know that is more natural with his feelings for Fiona and him wanting her back. (but reese would have shot Ansen in the hand that was holding the deadman switch). So it will be interesting to see how they evolve the story now that they kind of have some competition in the ex spy category.

Now as for the episode in itself. I thought it was good. The only really kind of annoying part was that in every other show you have the CIA as this almost mythical agency that can do anything. Get anything anywhere etc. And in their world apparently they can't even order a freaking chopper to get across town and can't say to the DOJ that Fiona wasn't responsible for the bombing and is working with us to figure out who did. And anything else is national security and none of your business. But I understand that Mike needs drama and strife in his life for the show and him to progress. While saying that, the whole pulling a gun on Sam thing was kind of dumb. POI yes, because that is who Reese is. Burn Notice, no because that isn't who Mike is.

Other than that it was a Burn Notice episode to a little bit further degree.

The things they need to focus less on. Is Jesse. I mean does anyone really believe he now has a job that affords him a Porsche but he can take off whenever to help Mike and Sam out? And Maddie, we get it, she is a chain smoker. Statistically she should probably be dead from Lung Cancer by now.

The thing I want to see is Mike being a badass. That is why he left his attachments, Ansen is right, it weakens him and makes him predictable. I would like to see that Mike for at least an episode or two.
maybe because they share same audiences. who knows, could be coincidence[I hope]. lol
Staff
-As far as the rivalry between Person of Interest goes, I think Burn Notice needs to embrace its fun roots again to distinguish itself and for that it has the PERFECT secret weapon in Bruce Campbell. They must know what a legend they have at their fingertips in him and I wouldn't mind more diversions into his life. Make him a little more in charge, and a little less responsible.

-I agree about the CIA flip-flopping on its image. Personally I enjoy the version of the CIA that is basically a DMV with technology that can see through walls. But yes, it is frustrating for an organization's power or lack thereof to serve as a plot point dependent on the needs of the story. It becomes a transparent force, and audiences never like to see into the minds of the writers.

-Jesse's character could be useful in bringing out certain traits in Mike, but as he stands, he's just around to be serious and do things that Sam and Mike aren't around at the time to handle. Maybe giving him an earring and a mohawk would spice him up?
I agree. Burn Notice needs to embrace the fun again. While Jeffrey Donovan certainly has the range to do dark. When it comes up against a character like Reese who has been dark from the beginning it is going to seem a bit lacking. While I would like Mike to be a little dark for an episode or two. You can't really have that with the character that is Sam and even Jesse, some of the great one liners of last season were Jesse. But Mike, like another similar character Raylan Givens, had a period that he was away from his family that they were total badasses. And being around their family as Anson points out, makes them a little weak. I would like to see an episode or two, maybe some flashback episodes of Mike where he gained this reputation as being the super spy that was rumored in the first couple seasons. But that is just a personal preference.

Also, Bruce Campbell is a legend he was great in the Burn Notice prequel TV movie. And if Fiona is going to be locked up for a good portion of the season. They need to let him run wild.

I agree, the CIA is whatever the writers need it to be week to week. And with that it does become annoying. Many shows have failed because of that. i hope this doesn't because it is one of my favorites.

Jesse would be hilarious with a Mohawk.
More +
I really thought, since he was so on edge and at his wit's end, Michael was going to put a bullet in between Anson's eyes, then grab his hand holding the dead man's switch, thus ending this storyline and saving his friends. That would have been a very bad-ass "Justified"-esque way to go.

I also thought it was funny that the premise was that the whole building was supposed to be blowing up, but it was clearly just some ancillary stuff on the outside of the building that exploded. Whew, glad Sam made it out of there okay! haha

Agree with JT_Kirk about the change to the opening credits. Jesse brings this show down, but in sticking him in a truck away from everyone else, then sending him on a quick errand to save Maddie, his lameness was minimized.
I agree with Kanniballl. S6 starts with great opening though! can't wait michael to catch Anson!
Michael left Fi and Sam no choice, he didn't give them quite enough intel to follow him one more step and he paid the price for their inability to trust that everything would magically work out. That's fine, that's understandable after the strain he's been under, and it is character-based drama. I didn't really buy Anson being so perfect as to pull off laying all those bombs though while hiding from cameras, that was a tad too convenient. Then again, if Mike hadn't spent that time yelling for Sam after the explosion, he could have caught back up to the boat and hit it with a few rounds. So, good but not great.

Adding Jesse to the opening credits was a bit annoying since he played a smaller role last season and this episode, but whatever. Might as well have added Anson since he's apparently going to get away forever.
I can understand Michael stunned and yelling for Sam. In his whole life he only has 2-3 real friends (and family).

- Friend 1 is in federal lockup, and even if "they win" chances are she's stuck there

- Friend 2 might be paste on a wall in a chemical plan

- Also, Friend 2's last memory of Michael was him pointing a gun at his face.

So, all things considered I can see ANYONE have a stunned WTF moment
My point wasn't to question why Michael would react that way, but to give the writers an out for having Anson get away yet again without being so ridiculously perfect in his schemes. The bombs are still exceptionally so, but the escape has excusability at least.
Staff
I agree - he cares for Sam(/his friends) more than killing this Anson dude and the whole point of the episode was him realizing that (again). He did say in the beginning of the episode that he's been "fighting for so long." Maybe that was our cue that Michael was out of sorts with his priorities.
Staff
You know I thought about how Anson laid all those bombs too. It's kind of not fair to the viewers to make things so logistically hard on Michael in order to show conflict, and then have Anson off camera being a super villain all the live long day - surmounting whatever practical obstacles anyone else would struggle with. But then again, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, and I guess these chemicals being manufactured could have been super flammable.
thinking Anson has help they have not introduced yet.
I must admit, were Anson to have a helper, I'd be very disappointed. The writing in this week's scenario couldn't have been more clear: Anson was trapped on the run and alone. If they dropped a compatriot into that situation the episode's foundation would fall apart. So Anson I think has to be alone during the whole episode, running around like a perfect little killer/bomber/kidnapper/schemer for the episode to work.
Seriously, how many times can Michael pussy out and not pull the damn trigger? It's getting ridiculous now. He keep crying about everyone trying to destroy his life, yet when it comes to taking action he never does anything. Just throws around words.
And how did shooting Anson by the fence do anything to help him:

- Bomb goes off, Sam dies

- Bomb goes off, his only trusted friend in the CIA dies. I doubt ANYBODY but her would believe a super villain blew them up

- CIA ally dies, even handing Anson over would probably not save Fi. Anson would talk his way out of it: HE'S A CRAZY PATIENT THAT BLEW UP HIS FRIEND. HE'S HAD A PSYCHOTIC BREAK! Umm ok, you can go free.

Seriously... shooting Anson == worse life for Michael
Staff
Good thinking. Michael would benefit from your shrewd advice, no kidding.

• 9:00 pm