Cable shines, gala flops at Emmys

Last night, the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards got many things right, and a whole lotta things wrong. Cable networks continued to stack their trophy cases and prove they're better than the broadcast behemoths with major wins, and the big victors of the evening--both of which barely move the needle in the ratings department--showed once again that American viewers just don't watch the quality stuff.

But the big story of the gala was the cringe-worthy ceremony, which is being labeled a disaster by those unfortunate enough to have sat through it.

Instead of using the tired-and-true (editor's note: that's not a typo) format of one bad host emceeing the show, ABC opted to use five: reality-show hosts Jeff Probst (Survivor), Ryan Seacrest (American Idol), Howie Mandel (Deal or No Deal), Heidi Klum (Project Runway), and Tom Bergeron (Dancing With the Stars). The idea was a nod to the first ever Emmy for reality-show hosts, in which all five were nominated (Probst eventually won).

Much of the program felt canned, hacked, and flat, and even some of the stars took notice. Jeremy Piven, after accepting his third Emmy for his role as giant-sized A-hole Ari Gold in Entourage, didn't get too far out of character with his criticism of the show's bland opening. The outspoken actor told Access Hollywood backstage, "To be honest with you, I was having this moment watching it where I didn't know where I was. I didn’t know what was happening... I thought we were being Punk'd as an audience," referring to Ashton Kutcher's prank show.

Preliminary Nielsen ratings numbers show that the event wasn't swallowed well by viewers, either. In adults aged 18-49, viewership was down 12 percent from last year's atrocity, averaging 12.2 million, according to Nielsen. And as the show went on, more and more people tuned out--the broadcast started with more than 13 million and within an hour dropped to less than 12 million. This trend of passing on television's biggest event is a continuing one--ratings have sunk each of the last four years. Compare that to the turn of the millennium, where the Emmys broadcast grabbed an average of more than 20 million viewers, and it's obvious that the event is due for a makeover.

But as awry as the evening's program went, it's hard to deny that Academy members got much of the voting correct. The two big prizes went to AMC's Mad Men for best drama and NBC's 30 Rock for best comedy (two years running), which only pull in a fraction of the ratings that reality slop shovels into its gullets. Emmy producers take note: Both shows also won the big writing awards...perhaps they can write next year's ceremony?

In the major acting categories, 30 Rock swept comedy with Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin, and Glenn Close (Damages) and Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) took the dramatic acting awards. With all due respect to Mad Men's Jon Hamm, House's Hugh Laurie, and Dexter's Michael C. Hall, I'd like to give a hearty thumbs up to the Academy for praising Cranston, who absolutely transforms himself as Walter White in AMC's excellent Breaking Bad.

On the supporting side, Piven took gold for comedy, Jean Smart was recognized for Samantha Who?, Dianne Wiest further stocked her award-rich mantle for In Treatment, and Damages' Zeljko Ivanek upset Lost's Michael Emerson for supporting actor in a drama. Really? Did the Academy voters not see Emerson's season-long stranglehold on season four of Lost?

Chances are that if you worked on HBO's miniseries John Adams, you grabbed an Emmy. The seven-part epic won the hardware for best miniseries, every acting category it was nominated in (Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney, and Tom Wilkinson), writing for a miniseries, as well as the eight trophies it took home from last week's creative arts Emmys. All in all, John Adams broke the record for most Emmys won by a miniseries with 13. Not bad for a dude who wears a wig.

The many strides to the podium taken by cable network (both premium and basic) stars reconfirm what's been developing over the past few years: Cable is the place for good television. Mad Men won basic cable's first-ever best drama award, and it won't be its last. Aside from NBC's irreverent 30 Rock, which, let's face it, is very "cable-esque," cable dominated the night. To all you holdouts: Time to ditch those rabbit ears and pony up for the deluxe cable package.

One last gripe: HBO's The Wire, which concluded its stellar five-season run earlier this year, ends its critically acclaimed career with a grand total of zeroEmmys. Injustice. For more on the Emmys, check out TV.com's coverage with interactive polls, photos, and more!

Below is a list of the winners (in bold) and nominees of the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards. For a full list of winners, head over to the official Web site of the Emmys.

Best Drama Series

Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men

Lead Comedy Actress
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?

Supporting Drama Actress

Zeljko Ivanek, Damages
John Slattery, Mad Men
Michael Emerson, Lost

Supporting Comedy Actress
Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Jean Smart, Samantha Who?
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty

Comedy Supporting Actor
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Rainn Wilson, The Office

Why is Bryan Cranston an award-winner?He put the shows below average.
Mad Men is an amazing show that earns it's high praise due to outstanding acting throughout. Hopefully season three will be confirmed so that this incredible show can continue.
i've just started watching 30 Rock, its definitely worthy of the emmy's its won, i've been trying to find a comedy series that doesn't go for the cheap laughs, its intelligent, its no wonder americans don't watch it. (lol, the shot was there i took it)
Sandra Oh didnt win an emmy? She is such a good character on Grey's Anatomy, she deserves it, just like Chandra Wilson. And Lost with no emmy? Weird..
I wasn't sure if this was the Emmy's or an Obama rally. Keep your opinions to yourself Hollywood, you don't get America, made painfully obvious by what you considered entertainment during that show. Though I must say Mad Men definitely deserved it's awards.
I thought this was fairly entertaining.
I'll admit that I haven't watched any award shows in full since the 1981 Oscars ("On Golden Pond" and "Chariots of Fire" were the big (and well-deserved) winners), but I was lucky enough to have channel surfed to the Emmy's just as Don Rickles was being brought out. Other than Kathy Griffin's phony toadying - - people were already giving a standing ovation when she "ordered" them to stand up; and she could have done so, silently, so Rickles would have thought it was spontaneous, which, of course, it was! - - Rickles was hilarious doing the same shtick he has done throughout his career! Given the apparently negative reviews of the show, perhaps they should have just turned the whole shebang over to Rickles! (P.S., while channel surfing, last night, I happened to catch the stars grabbing their huge gift bags, filled with everything from jewelry, colognes, free trips, etc, I'm just wondering whether any one of the stars just says, "No, thank you", or, at the very least, donates the goodies to a charity; yeah, I know...but I can dream, can't I?)
Absolutely rediculous ceremony.

Only highlight is 30 Rock sweeping in Best Comedy, Actor and Actress. I can't comment on Mad Men winning best drama as I have yet to watch it - I was personally hoping it'd be one of my 2 absolutely favourite shows, Lost or Dexter. Oh well, Lost still has 2 years to shove one up the asses of these ridiculous Emmy voters. Moment that pissed me off the most? Well, besides the stupid 5-host shlock, it has to be Emerson getting snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. Seriously, of those 5 nominated, his role as Ben on Lost was simply leagues ahead. His mere presence beats them. Damn, I could barely believe that. It's almost like the voters were just doing so they COULD create an upset. All in all, an awful Emmys and I'm glad I downloaded it and could skip through the bullsh*t.

Better luck next year. I like the idea of hiring 30 Rock writers for it.
Turned it off after they started bashing the candidates! This was suppose to be the Emmys not a bashing show! Of course NBC is going to use every chance they get to bash Sarah Palin, I am through with NBC!!!!
the only great thing about Sun's Emmy's was watching Tom Bergeron host it. He was better then those other hosts.
Well this is supposed to be a show for TV, so when dimwitted howie mandel starts out dissin Sarah Palin, well if we want political comedy, I will watch daily show or steven colbert, Keep your views to yourself, hasbeen mandell, plus who wants to watch a show emceed y 5ft seacrest?
Finally the Emmy's award good shows and not garbage like Lost and Grey's Anatomy. This made those horrible hosts (except Heidi Klum of course!) much easier to swallow with great cable shows getting much needed awards...and then poor 30 Rock. They should be on cable instead, then renewal would be more likely.
okay that whole Damages sweep is bull, I've watched the show and it's not the most riveting series on television. And honestly, the emmy to Glenn Close is nothing but favoritism. Her performance didn't outshine Holly Hunter or Mariska Hargitay! I'd have given it Holly Hunter whose tightrope act in Saving Grace was a major surprise. And again, Michael C Hall did a great job this season but I honestly feel he should have gotten it last year...damn the Sopranos! Couldn't they have waited a bit longer before ending it? LOL
I saw the clip of The Emmys with the five hosts opening the show and I'm glad I didn't see it live, boy was that a horrible opening. Who ever thought of putting five reality hosts and starting the awards off pretty lame should be fired.
I just noticed that my comment below says it was posted in 1970. Kinda surreal. I was two.
I don't get that Piven comment. What does he mean he didn't know where he was?
American Viewers just don't watch the quality stuff eh? lol Good one. But I'm more inclined to believe that these award shows just don't award the quality stuff, you know? lol Anyway, this sounded like a royal drag(and not the feel good kind). So glad I was having the time of my life at the best concert I've ever been to. :)
I can't tell which show was worse, the Emmy's or the MTV Music Awards. The mere fact that I have to ask myself that question is very, very sad.
I can't believe dexter didn't do it. What is up with these people.
reality show hosts suck! big surprise, they should cancel all reality shows Forever!
I agree - an unbelievably bad show. The Emmy's took a dive into Reality Show hell with an unscripted, rambling, horrible opening. The only bright spots were Ricky Gervais, Don Rickles, and - dare I say it? - Josh Groban. And yes, thank you - we'll vote.