Can the Project Runway All Stars Cast Make Up for a Lack of Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn?

I guess I’m naive when it comes to things I love. I just assumed Project Runway All Stars would feature the old gang: Tim Gunn mentoring, Heidi Klum auffing, and Michael Kors and Nina Garcia catting it up in the judges' chairs. The show has tampered with that chemistry before (remember the L.A. season? Neither do I) and it’s been utterly disastrous. But the show is doing it again anyway: The host is Angela Lindvall, some supermodel, the mentor is Marie Claire Editor-in-Chief Joanna Coles (who's been a guest judge in past seasons and just comes across as cruel and unlikeable, certainly not the comforting, tough-lovin’ presence of Mr. Gunn), and the judges are Georgina Chapman (a.k.a. Mrs. Harvey Weinstein... GAG), and Isaac F--king Mizrahi. Are you kidding me? Isaac Mizrahi is the worst! No no no no no. Haven’t we learned from the mistakes of Bravo’s Runway knock-off, The Fashion Show? Or his guest appearance on Top Chef? He’s shrill, mean, not remotely clever—he’s just this horrible presence you want to shoo away, like a bad fart. ARRRGH!

Calm blue ocean, pale blue sea. Calm blue ocean, pale blue sea.

Okay, I’m back. Let’s focus on what we do have: We have some great designers from past seasons, duking it out for a second shot at the title and some of the best prizes in the show’s history:

“Prizes include an exclusive designer’s boutique in select Neiman Marcus stores and on NeimanMarcus.com, $100,000 in technology and office space to help grow their business from HP and Intel, $100,000 cash from L’Oreal Paris, a feature spread in Marie Claire, for which he or she will serve as a guest editor for one year, and a sewing and embroidery studio provided by Brother International.”

Not too shabby! Now let’s meet our cast, and play a little word association, shall we?

They are:

Austin Scarlett: (New York, NY) Season 1, 4th Place: “Fop.” (top row, third from left)

Kara Janx: (New York, NY) Season 2, 4th Place: “Crunchy.” (second row, middle)

Elisa Jimenez: (New York, NY) Season 4, 10th Place: “Who?” (top row, far left)

Rami Kashou: (Los Angeles, CA) Season 4, Runner-up: “Betty Draper” (front row, far left)

Sweet P/Kathleen Vaughn: (Pasadena, CA) Season 4, 5th Place: “Cool” (second raw, far right)

Jerell Scott: (New York, NY) Season 5, 4th Place: “Huh?” (front row, far right)

Kenley Collins: (Brooklyn, NY) Season 5, 2nd Runner-up: “Nightmare” (top row, second from left)

Gordana Gehlhausen: (San Diego, CA) Season 6, 4th Place: “Goulash” (third row, second from left)

Anthony Williams: Season 7, 5th Place: “Sassy” (third row, far left)

Mila Hermanovski: (Los Angeles, CA) Season 7, 2nd Runner-up: “Bangs” (top row, far right)

April Johnston: (Savannah, GA) Season 8, 5th Place: “Field hockey” (front row, middle)

Michael Costello: (Palm Springs, CA) Season 8, 4th Place: “Why?” (second row, far left)

Mondo Guerra: (Denver, CO) Season 8, Runner-up: “Tim Burton Character” (third row, far right)

The new season premieres January 5 at 9pm on Lifetime.

I normally don't yell at my tv, but when I saw the new host, that's what I did. Right in the middle of my rant the phone rang, it was my daughter all she said was "What the he**?." Here is some supermodel, who is so stiff, the only part of her face that moves is her mouth. It's distracting. Where is my Heidi? No Michael, no Nina? The new judges, another woman I don't know, and a man I can't stand. He's like the face of doom for shows I don't watch. My only hope was that Tim would still be there. I couldn't wait to see if Kenley would show him a little respect this time around, or if I would continue to hate her for treating Tim so badly. But noooooooooooooo! Tim is gone too. I feel like I been screwed by Lifetime, with their bait and switch game. I was looking forward to watching Project Runway All-Stars, but that's not this show. I don't know if I'll watch any more, it will always be a disappointment.
So, my Tivo didn't record All Stars, so I missed the first 12 minutes of it, and when I saw that blonde chick who wasn't Heidi, at first I thought it was like some fashion person who was helping Heidi introduce the challenge, but then they threw up her name and under it said 'host' and all I could think was... 'but where's Heidi?' and then my second thought was 'so... if Heidi's not on, will they have Tim Gunn??' and that question was answered as soon as they got into the work room. The whole show I couldn't help but think 'where's my Heidi and Tim Gunn!?' It's just not project runway without them. There's absolutely zero chemistry and it just leaves the viewers at home thoroughly confused. I spent more time wondering what the hell they did with the old cast and why they changed it, than I spent focusing on the designs.
I think you are making a huge mistake by replacing Tim Gunn, Nina Garcie, Michael Kohrs, and Heidi Klum on Project Runway. I watched the first of the Runway Allstars show and I was very disappointed. the chemistry is Gone. No one can replace Tim Gunn and the way he mentors the designers. I am not so sure I'll continue watching. Lifetime.... Go back to the old gang before the ratings crash. The team was just as important and the designers.
Sorry, but I just watched 3 minutes of "All Stars" and the magic is gone. Who ever made the new decision must be sleeping with one of the new cast! Oh, wait a minute, they are! And that is going to cost Project All Star BIG TIME! I hope that the REAL Project Runway will return with the ORIGINAL cast, specially Tim, Heidi and the gang. Lifetime, you have made a HUGE mistake this season. You should tell us what is going on and if the original gang will be back with the original show.

Not sure I'm going to like this without Heidi, Tim, and the regular judges, especially after reading the post above. I also agree that some of the designers aren't necessarily all-stars. I cringe to see Kenley again, but she is funny to watch. I'm going to try it and hope they go back to the original premise for the next one!
All-stars?? Could they have picked a more BORING cast.

There were way more interesting people to choose from.

I won't be watching!
Yes, the show can still be worth watching without Tim and Heidi- just ask all the other Project Runway spin-offs around the world, like PR Australia, or PR Canada. Will I miss Heidi and Tim? Sure, but ultimately the show is about the designers and the things that they create week after week under the most improbable conditions. I wouldn't watch the show even with Heidi and Tim if they didn't have interesting challenges and talented designers battling it out to prove that their vision is the future of fashion.
I agree that this show needs and should have Tim Gunn. I see what they are trying to do. Lifetime is trying to make a successful spin off from this brand. I am sure no one watched Project Accessory. It's just like how Bravo has made a spin off from Top Chef, but I think what made that show work was the fact that they took Gail Simmons from Top Chef which viewers are familiar wtih and builded on that. So Lifetime, needs at least one familar face on any spin off from Project Runway.
Where's Andre Gonzalo???????

I seriously don't know if this is a good idea? In fact it sounds like a terrible idea!!! No Tim??? I can't believe they are calling this all stars with someone like Michael C on the show. I've watched this show from the beginning and I don't even remember a couple of these people! And with the last two winners of PR I may consider giving up on this show for good even though it breaks my lil heart :(
Very bad idea! I hated the season when we didn't see the judges on a regular basis. And no Tim or Heidi? I'm a digital artist and what I love about this competition is I know what it's like to get too inside your head when creating, so having a mentor give you a fresh look on what you're doing is always helpful. And I think Tim is a great one! I will miss you Tim! I never really liked Joanna Coles (she's very cold and severe) as a sub for Nina when judging, so I doubt I will like her as a mentor. I might not watch this go around even though some of my favorite designers (Mondo, Anthony & Jerrel) will be getting the second chance that they deserve. But then again, maybe I will because those 3 are so talented and I love their personalities!
disappointed about the judges and tim, but it could still be fun to watch.

though if michael costello is on for more than 1 episode, i'm out. if was funny watching kenley annoy everyone in her season, but mc transcended the fourth wall to make me annoyed while watching him
Without Mr Gunn, Heidi, Nina, Mickael??? Bad Bad Idea. i m out!
Well that's a bit disappointing for sure. I also assumed it'd be the original judges. I'm still excited to watch the show because I'm really rooting for Mondo and I'm intrigued/ confused by Austin's Ed Wood-esque mustache but I will miss Tim monitoring the workroom.
While I do love a lot of the cast members, I too just assumed the same judges and especially Tim would be doing the show. The only reason I still watch runway is because I love Mr. Gunn so much. I don't care so much about the judges, but having at least Heidi would have been nice. I don't know if I'll watch it. The last few seasons of real Runway have made me really, really mad with their choice in the winner.