Caprica? More Like Canceled-prica!

Remember the other day when Syfy gave the go-ahead for a Battlestar Galactica spinoff titled Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome? That was good news for BSG fans.

Cling to that good news, Battlestar fans, because today it was bad news for the franchise. Syfy has canceled Caprica, the prequel series to Ron D. Moore's excellent Battlestar Galactica, after one season. The network said the remaining five episodes of the first season will air sometime early next year and will conclude the series. It seems Syfy wasn't quite sure what to do with the series, as it had recently bumped up the remaining Caprica episodes to air in November.

And in case you weren't sure why the network canceled the series, they blame you, the viewer. Syfy chief of original programming Mark Stern said, "Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season." See? It was your fault.

Syfy has been trying to find its identity over the past year and a half, rebranding itself as "Syfy" (to many boos) and targeting lighter fare such as its new hit Warehouse 13. However, Blood & Chrome appears to be more along the lines of the BSG remake, more action oriented than the cerebral Caprica. The question is, how much patience will Syfy have for the new series if it doesn't pull in the audiences? Probably not that much. After all, it has its big cooking show to prep.

Did you find Caprica enthralling and intelligent? Or boring and more boring?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Caprica was was an amazing prequel to the reimagined BSG! I would have loved to see Zoe meeting galen and communicating with the final 5 in V-world. Why syfy cancels one good show after another for "syfy" original movies and wrestling blows my mind.
LMFAO, I guess they get more ratings from those shitty "syfy" movies they make every month. Anyone else notice 50% of them have the same terrible, white haired, Caucasian, Terminator wannabe?

Honestly, every one of those movies are crap and they somehow justify continued airing of them but they cancel the only good shit they've pulled out of their ass in the last 5 years.
now we can all go back watching judge judy and hoarders... caprica was way to much quality for the average human brain... maybe syfy can make some new low intelligence shows too maybe like "the world dumbest geek" or "how to build a space ship out of tooth paste while lost on an island"
Caprica is not as good as BSG. But still I enjoy it. Its a shame its cancelled. Shame on syfy blaming the viewer and changing the network names to that ridiculous words (syfy)
I am sad that it has been canceled... It was fun show... beautiful looking... interesting concepts...
Its a really good show - this is typical of the morons running "Syfy" .... and even with its "insufficient" ratings it was scoring better than 2/3rds of the other crap they're showing these days.

Even their beloved Warehouse 13 only averages 3 million viewers which is less than their best shows (all now gone) from when they were SciFi and less than similar syndicated genre fare like Legend of the Seeker that got cancelled even while running 4 million viewers.

The current Syfy execs are excelling at one thing, however .... running a network into the ground in record time... yes, please cancel Atlantis, SG-1, Caprica ... end BSG ... and give us MORE WOMEN'S WRESTLING ... cause that's what people tuning into a network called "Syfy" must be yearning for.

*Sigh, why do morons get these jobs.
I thought the show was pretty genius with a stellar underappreciated cast. Maybe SyFy will just become the wrestling channel now?
Ppl have expectations based on their visions of how they'd have a show go (mostly based on its predecessor) , so it's easy for them to not see enough interest in this show's direction. This is not the quiet before the storm that some wanted and so they don't care for the journey, let alone the destination. Heck, some who liked Caprica may feel that they would not support the next product from that universe based on this cancellation, a vicious cycle that's happened before and will happen again. Oh well, wrestling will help fill in those viewer numbers SyFy, . . . and the giant snake movies too.
PPL never understand that it takes time for a show to grow and get truly interesting. Sometimes there are lucky shows that start out just fraking awsome but it's not a that way for all of them. I don't get why networks need to find thenselves. Pick a show, get good acting, keep t interesting, and give it time to be awsome! Caprica had potental! It could have been really good if syfi would just stop whinying and keep it going!
When I noticed that Caprica wasn't on tonight, my first thought was...I bet it finally got canceled. I'm really not surprised that SyFy is giving up on it. I've watched every episode, but if someone were to ask me if I like Caprica, I'm not sure I'd say YES. I think I keep watching it in the hopes that I'll like it. That's how I felt about SGU for a long time too. I've finally started liking SGU, but episodes like last week threaten to make me not like it again. Caprica had too much "human drama" and not enough SciFi. I didn't really need a series about religious fundamentalist terrorists.
Each person has there own opinion and fine, it's a right, . . so if it comes to a vote, I vote keep Caprica, let it be it's own show, not a shadow, IMO.

When Caprica is on, I enjoy it, for its flaws and strengths . . it's a series that stands on its own apart from the geneocide of BSG. It's a good not so distant chapter, but I blame SyFy because it's strayed too far from Science Fiction over the years and like it's parent / sister networks, has little idea of what makes a legacy or holds an audience. Here's one thing for sure that doesn't belong on a science fiction channel . . wrestling. WIth that and other shows of questionable executive decision, SyFy really is to blame for any of its misfortunes. Stay true to your audience less you become a me-too station and get lost / lossed with the rest. Oh well, like Lost, Caprica seems headed towards ends that not everybody wanted, just with lots less fanfare.
Oh. And to add to that. Syfy needs to stop finding itself. It already found itself years ago but now it's just wasting every bodies time. You make Science Fiction so make that. Nothing wrong with a show like Eureka or Warehouse 13. I really like those but don't create another please. Caprica and SGU are just plain boring.

I mean it; restart Stargate Atlantis and finish the series.
Good. Hardly sci fi enough and too much away from Battlestar Galactica. And on another note. Please cancel Stargate Universe as well( or fix it soon). Make real sci fi series again.

Bring back Stargate Atlantis because you didn't finish it or something that can be called sci fi. And give it a decent budget so it can have enough CGI effects.

Failing that, close down the network.
BSG covered a lot of ground, or space, before it finally ended. There just wasn't any story left to tell. Caprica comes across like Episode 1 of Star Wars. It's just one big flashback about stuff that's all going to be irrelevant anyways. And how can we care about most of these characters when we know that not only are they going to die but almost everything they've created will be destroyed? Besides, the captivating part of BSG was a hopeful story of whether or not they would make it to Earth and if so what they would find there. Caprica's big story is about how they bring about their own destruction.
To put simply, a prequel should focus on the build-up to what we already know. When I started watching Caprica, I expected a series of episodes that revolve around the development of Cylons, with two families of opposing views, leading up to the Cylon war a few seasons later. Now the series seems to be going towards another direction, which has made me disinterested. Pity.
i love caprica very much. one should have a good head to understand Caprica
The obvious quality? Just like their website, neither worked. I was alright with the whole spoiled rich girl imprisoned in a cylon shell concept. Then they literally but the bot in the box and played the religion/terrorist card with terrible writing and acting. RIP Caprica
Caprica was an intelligent, complex, well written, sci-fi show for grown ups, just like BSG. Apparently there aren't enough grown ups watching the syfy channel, they probably prefer to read hardcore sci-fi & fantasy, since most of the movies and TV shows are space operas and crappy silly monster of the week moronic stories. Hey, nothing wrong with pop corn, it is just that you cannot eat pop corn at every meal...
I just didn't get Caprica. Exposition and back story of anything, in this case BSG, does not a great story make. Tv prequels don't work. That said, I'm hoping Blood & Chrome succeeds.
The only thing this season of Caprica brought was reflection on wjy monotheist religions are more violent than polytheists ones. Why do they have to convince you until you die that they have the one and only God? Anyway, even set in a science-fiction environment, it stops very fast to appeal to me. Too slow in its pacing, too much terrorism and religion crap we already have to endure in our real life and yes a bit depressing. No likable character you can't wait to see the next step even though the highly slap-able Zoe had an interesting story but is damn too stubborn to be likable.
Bottom line - intelligent or not, provocative or not, cutting edge or not, the show was infuriatingly, ceaselessly DEPRESSING. And I just don't need bleakness after bleakness in any TV show. And I really wanted to like it too.
agreed with most people. they concentrated too much on the religion part and the drama, and by far not enough on the development and rise of the cylons. the show had amazing potential, a good cast, and furthermore, the best mother show imaginable, so how they managed to screw a perfect show, is quite intriguing, it is like they don't want to make money. syfy, please start making sci-fi and not drama (similar feelings about SGU, and i am a die hard fan of sci-fi). get back to the roots, please.
Heh, Syfy putting reruns of Star Trek Next Generation reruns in Caprica's spot is really going to raise ratings... Right? NOT!!!
Is syfy crazy? waiting until the first quarter of 2011. Do they realize if they have it on Tuesday nights, It will be up against "V", and no one will watch the last five episodes. Might as well air them now, with nothing to counter the ratings.
Caprica had so much potential. It was originally touted as the rise of the Cylons and the conflicting opinions of two famlies on either side of the debate, the Adama's who were supposed to be noble and the graystones who helped bring the Cylon revolution to bare. However it would have been enough to make Zoes mind the initial teplate for the Cylon brain and that would have explained their monotheistic views, a whole season of religous zealotry really wasn't needed.

This show never delivered what was touted, period.
Show wasn't slow, just felt like it cause of the time they took to air the episodes. Pilot in 09-04, 1 in 10-01, 3 in 10-02, 4 in 10-03 then 4 this fall.

That is the recipe to get a show axed, good or bad.
Do not mind at all. Caprica was a slow and at times just boring.
I, for one, am glad it's been canceled, now I can finally stop watching it.
I'm sure the large gap inbetween episodes didn't help matters.
Either confusingly boring or boringly confusing not sure which...
Caprica bored me. :(
Very bad news. It was inevitable though - nerds and geeks don't enjoy shows like Caprica :(
Loved the original show and the remake. But a 40 year prequel??? Boring. Same with the other prequel they plan but at least that might involve space battles... BRING BACK SLIDERS! or remake it! Now sliders was a great show! A bit like Eureka, another good show on Syfy.
Actually, it's kind of hard to accept all this is just from the first season, and I got the feeling we were just building up to the meat of the story..the Cylons. Too bad it won't get it's day. I definitely enjoy the intrigue and the effects, and it makes me sad that we won't get our prequel. I'll miss it.
Boring, VERY BORING.
Too bad, caprica was very cool!
Maybe people that watch scyfy are especting sci-fi instead of drama, people, as time passes want more and more of what they are looking for, people have the right to decide if what you, tv franchises, are delivering what they were especting for, if not they just go away, dont blame the fans, blame the producers who doesnt deliver what viewers want to see, i watched caprica but if people are looking for rayguns and spaceships and robots, dont change the menu and instead you bring a melrose's place like show cause people will wait a little but not too much to decide if "what you were serving by dinner wasn't what they asked for". People in more and more conctious on what they want and what they like and honestly, if i dont get what i want i just seay "NO i dont want that". cancelling Caprica from my point of view was not people's fault, was people's decision cause they didnt like what they get and that's the way us tv watchers have to tel you tv producers that we dont like what you are giving us. Anyway, you mostly do what you want sometimes cancelling tv shows that people like, with a strong viewers base and we can do nothing about. (remember the 4400 just to mention one). think of it before blame US...
I must admit that I never watched a single episode of it. I was huge BSG fan, but the premise of Caprica just didn't appeal to me. Sorry, I guess I'm more of a sci-fi guy than a syfy one. I hadn't about Blood & Chrome until now, but it seems to be a step in the right direction--which is back to what the channel used to be.
It did have some good episodes but honestly it had slow-moving pilots and not enough action to keep the ordinary sci-fi fan interested. It didn't help that it had religious terrorism and virtual reality Matrix stuff going on at the same time. Some characters were interesting while most I really didn't care about. Blood & Chrome should have been the prequel from the start, I just hope the writers don't screw that up to.
I am DONE with Syfy.Make all the Sharkopus crap you want. I'm done. And just when the story was picking up in New Cap City, Graystone Industries let alone Zoe and Tamara. Good bye Syfy
Yeaaah I'm not too surprised. It was a mildly interesting show and I liked some of the characters but I never felt that compelled to keep up with it. Not crazy about the Blood & Chrome idea either... enough with the prequels! ugh
R.I.P Caprica. Some people such as myself will miss you. Obviously, most will not.
First of all, Syfy plays horror stuff, and now even crappyass wrestling!! So they need a new name altogether. Second, I just got into Caprica recently, and I liked it. I have never seen one second of one episode of BSG, so I had nothing to compare it to... Some episodes weren't great, but overall a cool show. Much better than the crappy Stargate series or True Blood season 3.
Bottom line - it simply didn't have the shoot 'em up bang bang that sci-fi fans crave. The same crowd that gave up on BSG because there "wasn't enough action" is the same crowd that didn't watch Caprica.

Personally I think it was a great show and I really enjoyed it. This week's episode was fantastic - as usual, that's generally when a show will get cancelled.

I too am looking forward to Blood and Chrome - hopefully it will have enough ray guns and robots to keep the peasants happy and be well written enough for those of us who enjoy mature sci-fi.
I'm not at all interested in Caprica, I just had to come here and let you know that this is the most cringe-inducingly lame article title I have ever come across lol
Too much drama, not enough robot. That was the whole point. Kind of like DS9. Who wants to be stuck in a space motel when you can fly around at warp speed you know?
Honestly? I could never get into Caprica. It was pretty, but it started off with whining teenagers, and continued with religious nutjobs. The whole time it leaned heavily on the 'Angst' button, the same thing that killed BSG for me about the time they got into the whole 'Final Five' thing. Give me more Sanctuary, Eureka, Haven, Warehouse 13, and Stargate.
Caprica seemed to have been plotted out to be a 5 year series, telling a 1 year story. That, coupled with an entire cast of villains and a chaotic schedule, pretty much guaranteed failure. I won't watch the new series unless it makes it to a 3rd season or SyFy puts together a 2 hour movie to properly wrap Caprica and tie it into BSG as promised.
There was real promise in exploring the 12 Colonies before the Second Cylon War. I was disappointed in the storyline in general. My favorite bits were the Adamas, but i wish I would've seen more of Joseph and Willy's relationship. Zoe was just annoying. The whole Army of the One was annoying. Sr. Clarice Willow was very annoying. If this was the kind of show that was gonna take three seasons to finally build the Cylon and get it involved in action, then this has been a waste. The Cylon could've been built and functional by mid-season 1. I'm not talking necessarily about making Caprica an action-adventure show, but it could've use both. All I see is monotheists jihad against the gods and that got old real fast. Anyway, what about a show on the First Cylon War? /pax
Load More Comments