Cartoon Network ditching all-'toon format

First MTV stops showing music videos, now this? Cartoon Network is sticking with the "Network" portion of its name, but ditching the strictly "Cartoon" bit, the company announced today. Nineteen new projects were announced, and less than half will be hand-drawn.

"These exciting new projects represent the next phase in Cartoon Network's ambitious, ongoing strategy to re-invent the network and re-energize our youth business overall," said Stuart Snyder.

These new non-cartoons will start airing in the coming 2009-2010 season and feature reality and scripted programs, most of which sound like pint-sized versions of programs currently airing on other networks.

Highlights: The Othersiders is a mini-Ghost Hunters, with five friends exploring scary places; Destroy Build Destroy is like Human Wrecking Balls, with two teams blowing stuff up; Dude, What Would Happen is a Mythbusters clone; Bobb'e Says takes the ridiculously funny child actor Bobb'e J. Thompson (Human Giant, Role Models) in his own take of America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also announced was a live-action Ben 10: Alien Force movie, a Scooby-Doo! prequel telefilm, and a full CG movie titled Firebreather!

Don't worry all you glassy-eyed college students--it doesn't look like the late-night Adult Swim block will be affected by any of this.

first mistake was hiring stuart snyder he a ahole at his job
Hey cartoon network fans. whats up? Those of you who want the old cartoon network back, if you

love how our channel used to be, please sign my petition to revive it at https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-bring-back-the-old-shows-cartoon-cartoons-the-hanna-barbera-ones-others. I know that many of you have long since given up hope on the channel because no one seems to listen

to the outraged cries of fans, while the network makes decision after bad decision. You may also think that you can't do

anything to stop it. But we are not a lost cause. Remember that if enough of us speak out, they will listen. If you

doubt my words, look at what fans pulled off with toonami. It's back, and it's going to get better under the support of

the fans. Don't think that there's few of us. There are potential millions out there, unhappy with the channel's new agenda,

and the more votes our petition receives, the more seriously our cause will be taken. And remember that every vote counts,

don't think that yours is insignificant simply because you are one person. Please sign the petition and get as many people

as you can to sign it and get involved in its revival. Spread the word. Keep it alive. Sign the petition. Fans, we can bring it back.
if you guys really want to make those executives to understand (because they are at the heart of the problem), you have to speak their language. The problem is that these guys will make money whether you like it or not, as long as people are watching it. So if you really want CN to make a comeback like Toonami is doing right now, you have to spread the word to people to stop going on CN completely. Dont watch it at all. Tell your friends and your family not to watch it. If these guys realize that theyre ratings are plummeting, they might actually start reading these forums and taking suggestions, or at least showing something different. Boycott the channel so that we can get to these guys that they cant get away with ruining our awesome childhood channel, cartoon network.
The last good thing cartoon network probably ever did was toonami. With the destruction of that it just went from c**p to total s**t waste. However for those who haven't heard the amazing news on May 26 Toonami is airing once again on adult swim on saturday nights. (At least someone knows where the fan base/money is at)
Cartoons died with the 90s anyways so whatever. They can show all the crap they want on TV because I don't even watch it anymore. Netflix anyone?
RIP Cartoon Network 1992-2004

Murdered by Stuart Snyder and his gang of idiots. May Stuart Snyder die a slow and painful death.
This makes me so thankful for being able to watch Cartoon Network as a child in the 90s. At least I have the memories.
well, cartoon network was pretty cool when i was a kid, i dont know wht is happening to tv, SciFi for example, which i refuse to SyFy
thank you. I though i was the only one who thought that most of the new programming (especially the non-cartoon) sucks.
I second the motion that CN needs to go back to it's roots (cartoon-cartoon, etc), give a chance once again to new talent and bring back witty, intelligent, funny cartoons (dexter's, ppg, samurai jack, courage, cow n chicken, bill and mandy, etc). CN WE MISS THE OLD YOU !!
Well, at least CN took most of these off recently. Were they TRYING to commit suicide!?
So they are goinng what G4tv is try to do.Become another Spike Tv.
The Following Shows should be on cartoon network. not the crap 2-8 year old show\'s i mean what happened? cartoon network went from awesome to being worthless i\'d rather watch free videos on my computer then have my parents pay for TV.

One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Full Metal Alchemist
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball Z

Mainly One Piece Bleach since they haven\'t finished dubbing those shows.
I like old cartoons instead of c..p toon network,disney sh.t and nickacr.p New kids shows suck Old cartoons rule! by the way reality tv's gay
You know last time I checked the name of the network was ''cartoon network''. So why in the hell are they going live action, who was the genius that idea this format is better than the old one I mean really why do they still even have their jobs. They dropped toonami and all their other cartoons for this crap horrible just horrible.
Naruto Shippuden and Dragon Ball Z Kai are on(in order) Disney XD and Nicktoons. I feel that CN could have gotten them(since thats were they started in America) but just rejected them caus they got there new crap.....
i feel this is a big issue because that everything went down the drain there is nothing worth watching and on the adult swimt tip everything will be changed on there as well they are now goingover the protocall and everrything is horibble first as you said cn real should have nothing to do with the newtwork its self and the har har tharsday is the most discusting thing i ever seen flapjack is a cute show but its lead to homosexuality is that suitable for a kid to be watching everything is progreesing quickly if they were to make a third network where things like alvin and the chipmunks the snorks dexters lab ppg ect were to air for ther first episode until the airing stops or either they make more episodes were to be watch why not end it with a good happy movie it would be a million dollar hit they could make so much money off of it escpecaily for the younger kids to watch it from sctratch but they are to stupid to see that and they were absolutley wrong for taking one of the most popular things (tunami) off thier action saturday might as well not even be called action saturday the new cartoon network is not suitible for the younger age range nor older the whole broadcast has been totally rape!!!!
"it doesn't look like the late-night Adult Swim block will be affected by any of this. " - Umm I don't think they can mess up AS anymore. With it's hit or miss shows they have been drowning for awhile so I doubt they can do anything worse. I'm not surprise with Cartoon Network doing this since it's cheaper and their new cartoons have not become major hits for the last few years. Plus with the death of Toonami, moving all the old cartoons to Boomerang and what looks to be their inability to get good cartoons from over seas (6teen and TDI.... come one really) they have dug there self into a huge whole. It seems most of the channels that geeks were followers of seem to be going down the drain from Nick, Disney, SciFi, Tech/G4 and so on it has become painful to watch they they think passes for good shows. Personally the internet is looking more and more like the place where we are going to be spending our time since those channel are not worth paying for anymore. To bad, their going to loose even more of there watchers with these moves and yet they think they are going to get more with this BS, how totally misguided they are.
add a comm....OVER MY DEAD BODY!
SHOOT ME, SHOOT ME NOW!!!!
Here's my spin on this whole trend. Yes, we recall the fiasco that are now known as MTV and VH1. We have slowly watched the dumping that Nick has taken on its lineup since the mid-90s. The late 90s signaled the end of Cartoon Network. What's sad is that every generation has its cartoons they grew up on. Bugs Bunny..The Flintstones..Jetsons..hell even The Smurfs.

When the kids nowadays become adults, what will they have? "Oh yeah, I grew up on Spongebob Product-placementpants". At least we still have one night on anime on Adult Swim and AniMondays of SciFi (I REFUSE to refer to it as SyFy)
cartoon network hmmm this new generation really is a disappoint they need to stop putting all these dumb reality shows the old cartoons r wat mad it wat it is today nd the fact that it only showed cartoons is wat made it good in the first place i remember spending weekends watching ed,edd,nd'eddy , johnny bravo, and dexter's laboratory and laughing as hard as i could and never wanting to change the channel and i see johnny bravo and dexter today on boomerang and i'm still laughing hard but i feel disappointed wen i watch Cartoon network now with all these horrrible shows and i jus can't help but changed the channel and nodd in humiliation because my little cousins asked me u used to watch this this really sucks and i am really sad at wat it has become because even the new gen dont lyk it
It's sad, really because TV just sucks now.
Omg really? F**king idiots always have to sell out to reality stupidity. I mean really, do peoples lives suck that bad that they have to watch other peoples lives on networks that are suppose to show cartoons or music videos what is television coming to....
... Well, it looks like the EENE movie will be released in DVD to the US.
I have to say CN biggest mistake was canceling toonami. Toonami had all my favorite shows:DB,DBZ,DBGT,Rorouni Kenshin,Yuyuhakusho,One Piece,Gundam,Zatch bell,Tenchi Muyo,Blue Dragon,Batman the animated series,Superman the animated series,Batman beyond,Yu-Gi-Oh,Thundercats,He-Man,Transformers Armada,Transformers Energon,Transformers Cybertron(The new transformers sucks),Samurai Jack,Outlaw Star,and Big O. People are most people are crazy anime, but most of it is gone. I could buy anime, but look all the shows I mention. They would cost more that 3 grand the entire series of those anime. I dbz luckly. Anyway, Cartoon network should have already seen all of these, video,comments,rants,protest,and petitions.You think people would have gotten though to them, but no.
For me, Cartoon Network died when their former Network Executive, Jennifer Davidson died on December 1st 2007, due to a sudden, unknown illness (could be cancer). She was the last good person to have ever worked there. She was the one responsible for launching Cartoon Network in 1992, as well as launching Boomerang in 2000. Without her, Cartoon Network is now dead. We need someone like Linda Simensky to bring Cartoon Network BACK into its Golden Age, with Absolutely NO Live-action! Linda Simensky was the one responsible for launching the Cartoon Cartoons in 1998. Unfortunately, Linda Simensky now works for PBS.
CARTOONS...CARTOONS...CARTOONS...CABLE IS DEAD...OUR GOD THE PLASTIC FANTASTIC LOVER HAS DIED A HORRIBLE DEATH.
p.s. I know all caps is horribly obnoxious but that's my point. Back in the day when people went to movies like in the 1930's cartoons were called animated shorts because people would spend all day at the theater and they would need something to fill in the gap between movies. The original demographic for cartoons was all ages not just kids which is why you see if you pay attention to a lot of MGM cartoons or Warner Brothers cartoons youll see some adult themes slipped in very subtly so as not knock it out of the G rating. Sorry for the history lesson but being 35 years old apparantly I'm no longer in there demographic and they don't really care what I say.
this is some serious bull****. What does live action have to with cartoons. I mean kid in the next generation won't even understand these shows, because they don't what the stuff is. I mean I thought they would have learned their lesson from out of jimmy's head. There other mistake was canceling toonami. Now anime fans can't watch anime. I predict cn not cartoon network will die within the next year. I guess this is a sign that the apocalypse is coming. All the signs in the bible have happened.
This is utter bull-s***. The point of "CARTOON" Network is that they show cartoons. Stuart Synder is full of crap and he is ruining what was once something I enjoyed very much. What was so wrong with Toonami and all the Excellent anime they showed. I'm very disappointed, but i guess it's true what they say, all good things must come to an end. :( Now CN is nothing but inappropriate mind numbing garbage, good job CN executives....not. And I hope that reality S*** backfires in your ugly little faces.
Or better yet, we can call "Cartoon Network" C*** Network
CN are a bunch of idiots. Seriously, just change the name already to Reality TV. The whole point of the channel was for cartoons, but some idiot probably thought the word "Cartoon" means "Live-action reality"

Now reality shows. WOW THAT'S WONDERFUL. (Rolls eyes) Seriously, what kid watches reality shows? Kids like cartoons, not those crappy reality junk.

So lets see, first it was Toon disney turning into Disney XD. Then Nick cancelled all it's classics and replaced it with 15 hours of Icarly and Spongebob. Then Nicktoons network replaces it's classics with Speed racer, Iron man, and Wolverine. (Don't get me wrong, I like Iron man and wolverine, but what really makes me mad is that they show it all day) And now this. What's next? Bommerang airing Chowder, Flapjack, and Total drama island all day? Or Comedy central broadcasting Drama shows?
This is'nt happening! why CN! WHHHHHYYY!!!!

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US CN! WHY! YOURE SUPPOSED TO BE CARTOON NETWORK FOR A F****** REASON! WHY ARE YOU PLAYING REALITY TV SHOWS ON A CARTOON BASED NETWORK!!!

Hasta la vista Cartoon network 1992-2010 (Rest In Pieces)
I remember back in the late 90's & early 00's when Cartoon Network advertised that no matter when you turned on the channel a cartoon would be on. Do you think we could get together a class action lawsuit to enforce this? After all there are laws for truth in advertising and since there is so much live action on Cartoon Network now their original ads would be considered Lies. I wish there would be more Cartoons on this network, I might just start watching it at normal times again instead of only late night.
*facpalms*
This is really fu*king sad to see such a network turn to sh*t all because of Stuart Snyder.
wow CN is really F##Kin' up now. but ah not like i care..i stop watching CN along time ago. the only thing i watched on it was toonami and naruto when they were showing it. so,it been dead to me..cause all the cartoons are lame anyways..well except for pokemon(i been a loyal fan since i was a kid so why not still see it).now i watch adult swim and its better then CN. they should bury CN and let AS takes its place.
Whats next? Comedy Central will be making Drama series?
Only a matter of time until they change the name of the Network. They know they aren't creative enough to make good animated programming that isn't Spongebob type fluff anymore...so why not? Go live action. A lot cheaper.
Eh. Not really surprised for two reasons. For one, the adult swim line-up has numerous non-animated series (though I can't deny my love for their Brit imports). There's also the fact that it's a sad trend. History Channel airs an unhealthy portion of non-historic material; Sci Fi, which will become even more asinine by changing it's name to Sy Fy, airs programming free of either science or fiction (and, at times, both); AMC, for which I've long understood the 'M' to stand for "movies", has at least two television series; and, of course, we all know about what has happened to MTV...

It is naturally disheartening, though, that a network dedicated to something specific, gets bored and changes it up as some sort of "rejuvenation" attempt to get young whipper-snappers' attention. It maybe by a thread, but I'm stilling clinging. However, I'll officially stop watching television when Comedy Central airs Schindler's List.
As they ditch the all cartoon format they are also ditching their fanbase. People that aren't into cartoons at all are not going to all of a sudden chime into the "Cartoon Network" to see live action TV shows. What sets CN apart from all the other networks is the fact that they offer a unique format. If they ditch this and move to a combination of live action TV and cartoons, they are making themselves just like every other network out there. And that's not a good thing. Look at what happened to G4 when it moved to showing Cops and all the other crap that was non-video game related. As a network, G4's ratings have plumetted. The same thing will happen to Cartoon Network. What they need to do is stick to what makes them unique... not turn into something that makes them like everyone else. Bad move, Cartoon Network. Bad move!
However, I am just one guy who's not even in their target audience...
There's a reason I watched Cartoon Network more than Nick or Disney Channel.

BECAUSE I LIKE CARTOONS SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN LIVE-ACTION!
This is ridiculous. It'll be a sad day when I have to get rid of my TV cause there's nothing on but reality shows.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!!!!!!

its official. CN is dead. please, as long as there's no live action naruto...
Well as lame as this news is (it's hard enough to find quality animated programming that appeals to a mature audience (traditionally a higher quality product for all ages involved btw), but this is not new news.

CN has had live action for a WHILE now, and none of it has been any good in my opinion.
I only watch my CN shows on dvd
in all fairness, ive lost most of my interest with cartoon network. they havent had a really good show on since teen titans and its showing if they're willing to put on live action shows on "Cartoon" Network. I mean its nice if you're Nickelodeon and you like to mix things up but if you're Cartoon Network its just damning your namesake
Cartoon Network is digging their own grave. The only thing good on is Ben 10: Alien Force. Without Ben 10: Alien Force, Cartoon Network will be officially R.I.F. (Rest. In. Fail.)
Well, so in order to fix the problem (low ratings) created by showing bad shows, we will get away from our roots and show ever more bad shows, that takes us further and further away from our mission statement. It was bad enough when they started doing garbage shows like Saved by the Bell and tim and eric and all the other stupid live action trash they did. But seriously aren't live action commercials bad enough on a channel called Cartoon Network. I only hope they at least change their name, or maybe we should take out a class action law suit like we should have done with Mtv when they stopped playing music. False advertising.
The end of a era.