Castle and Beckett: Will they or won't they?

Once upon a time, there was a cop show about a smart, sexy, independent female sleuth with a turbulent past and a handsome, slightly-clingy male "partner" in crime. The pair solved cases, exchanged witty one-liners, and tried not to have sex with one other despite the palpable cloud of URST constantly floating overhead. I'm referring, of course, to Moonlighting Bones Castle. That's right, Castle. Castle is the original boy-girl cop show.

Kidding! Moonlighting was around long before Bones and Castle showed up on our screens. One might even argue that Maddie Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) and David Addison (Bruce Willis) practically invented URST, or at least the modern-day television version of it. Back in 1985, these two taught the world to flirt—and Bones (Emily Deschanel), Booth (David Boreanaz), Castle (Nathan Fillion), and Beckett (Stana Katic) owe their URST-y success to the original dynamic duo.

But the Moonlighting folks messed up when they hooked up Maddie and David at the end of Season 3. Presumably, Bones has avoided that mistake and kept Bones and Booth at a safe distance (well, except for that kiss and that coma dream) for five seasons. Some would say the show has gotten too frustrating to watch, even though the chemistry between Deschanel and Boreanaz is as cute as ever. So where does that leave Castle?

Castle and Beckett have been dancing the delicious will-they-won't-they waltz throughout their first two seasons together, and each episode inches us closer to the possibility of a hookup. In Monday's episode, "The Third Man," the two even abandoned their individual dates to return to the case they were working on... together. And after solving the case, they left the precinct arm-in-arm to grab dinner. It's obvious they find each other attractive—Castle regularly gushes in Beckett's general direction, and lately Beckett hasn't been so subtle in masking her jealousy of Castle's many women. So, will the two of them hook up this season—or ever? Should they hook up? And would it ruin the show if they did?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

The best chemistry between two people since Remington Steele! They have incredible chemistry and they're a perfect match. I think the question is not wether they sould get together because it's too obvious they should. I mean with this kinda chemistry, not getting together would be simply ridiculous and unrealistic. The only question should be How to make the show even better once they are together! A hook up could potentially bring tons of new funny situations (sex, jealousy, fights, wanting kids, competition with Alexis… you name it), the show could use this refreshing approach, I think it'd be great, not boring. And the thing is with this chemistry, we know it's true love and we know it's forever like in Hart to Hart, they sould never break up, the creators of the show should just use their imagination
Watching Castle (Countdown) Episode 17 season 3 made me cry. All I could think of was how much Castle and Beckett loved each other. A hook-up would ruin this.
They absolutely have to get together at some point... i agree that the flirtation is fine for now, they need to know each other better first but there is still an obvious attraction between them that has to come to the surface. Can't have all that suspense, tension, flirting etc for nothing!
I think bringing in a new love interest will ruin the show. i stopped watching bones because of the dragging things out and the chemistry between then just died out and got boring.. if this aproach is taken with castle i think it will lose fans and kill the show and they just got signed for a third season i would really hate to see the writers ruin it for the cast to get a 4th, i think this new love interest for beckett is going to be a very big mistake, moonlight was along long time ago pple view shows diffrently now . this is my fav show and i truly hope the writers do not ruin it..
I honestly think a new love interest will ruin the show.. I actually stopped watching bones because i got bored with it and the chemistry between then just died off by dragging it out..i think if they drag this out with castle it will kill the show..Moonlight was along time ago things have changed and pple view shows diffrently now. I think bringing in a new love interest will kill the chemitry between castle and beckett and may end up losing fans over it..
As fun as it is to watch them bicker and poke at each other it's kind of frustrated to keep them at SUCH a crazy distance. It gets extremely angsty, especially when they throw in some serious love intrests. I like the long-term, slower thing, but I feel like I'm more engaged when they throw in some things that move the relationship along a little bit faster. I'm not even asking for a kiss, maybe a hug to make us all happy? = (
I don't know if they'll get together this season, but I think they will get together before the series is over, which hopefully won't be for a while. Personally, I don't buy into the premise that getting the UST-heavy sexy lead characters together is the jump-the-shark move, though if the writers turn them into the crime-drama-comedy hour-long series version of Ross and Rachel, always getting together and breaking up and thinking they might get back together and then not or starting to and realizing its a mistake only to have a baby together six months later... That kind of thing is too annoying. I'm not saying make it easy for them, but, yeah. I think they'll get together. And I don't think it'll ruin the show. As long as, like any plot point, it doesn't become all the show is about.
I'd say there's a 4-in-1 chance that they'll introduce an ex-lover to one of the two protagonists on Castle soon to cool things down and get some jealousy going, it's a classic move.
As long as the writers give them good storylines, and not continually break them up, just to get back together again, would be s GOOD thing. Also, maybe a show should do something different and keep a couple together once they get together, and not be afraid of the relationship going stale. They can still bring on the drama without the disfunction.
of course they belong together. As do Bones and Booth. Either the writers are too scared to hook them up, or the networks are. Not many people would stop watching simply because they get together. I believe in
They DEFINITELY have to hook up. The sexual tension is so obvious! I just can't wait for that episode to happen. Making Bones and Booth don't hook made me stop watching the show it was plain boring.
Castle rocks!!!!
Hey your also forgeting Scarecrow and Mrs King, serious URST there I can tell you.
You are so wrong, the first couple with the URST was Remington and Laura, Moonlighting was after Remington Steele...they went south as well but BECAUSE they didn't hook up on the show, so I think Bones and Castle people should learn from both '80 shows and have healthy balance - keep them apart but not too long as people will stop watching
Urgh, I love Castle, but pairing the leads rarely does a series good.
Actually I think that it would be good for the show if the get together, but not until season 3. but i think a great episode or three for them would be a drunken night after episode. Where they wake up together in bed and not sure what happened. That is one way they could play the "URST" card and still take it back for a while.
To answer the first question, I think not this season. We've just seen Beckett take two giant leaps forward -- one, admitting she likes having Castle there, and two, saying 'why the hell not?' when he suggested a late-night dinner. They've only just arrived at the doorstep of openly enjoying each other's company, and there's a lot to explore there before moving to the next level. Should they hook up? Oh for god's sake, yes. This whole Curse of Moonlighting thing has killed the chemistry between Booth and Bones stone dead. There's a tipping point past which the UST will lose its charm and just become frustration. Bones made the mistake of giving us the relationship then taking it away too many times and last season's brain tumour fakeout was just the last straw. So far Castle's writers have not yet once tried to reverse their progress. And why should it ruin the show to have Beckett and Castle as lovers? As long as they're still Beckett and Castle, the stakes can only get higher, and the pair of them only more fun to watch.
I think it's better to maintein the tension between the two of them.
I'm one that gave up Bones after the debacle of the the season 4 finale. If they aren't going to put Bones and Booth together then I say screw it. They've lost a viewer. I watched for the relationships on the show NOT the forensics and once I discovered TPTB had no intention of giving me what I want, I left. Plain and simple. They had more than ample time to put those two together and at this point it's ridiculous that these two adults are NOT be together. I think writers use the Moonlighting excuse because they are too lazy to come up with a decent storyline. Moonlighting failed because the two leads pretty much hated one another, not just because of the writing. Castle and Beckett are great and could be great together as a couple. Especially if they try to hide their relationship from the others in their lives once their together. The writers COULD write a decent story, if they choose to. I'll continue to watch for another year, if the show stays on, but after that, I'll be gone from this one too. I'm not wasting my time on shows that won't allow a little romance to shine through.
As for Booth & Bones- They should. I think there is still a lot Bones can learn about relationships from Booth. And Booth? Well, we know he finds her amazing. Castle & Beckett? Even if they hooked up, I can't see these two ever becoming boring. Not with Castle's sense of humor, not with the chemistry they have. I think they'd be fine.
I agree with Grmx13. Moonlighting did not go south because Dave and Maddy did the deed. It went south because the writing got stale. With the series being on DVD now, I went back, took another look. It's still a fun romp. But the writing did suffer in Seasons 2 & 3.
In all fairness, Moonlighting was not ruined by Maddie and David hooking up but by the two mains stars egos and their hatred for each other during the time. That and the storylines got wear in Season 2 and 3. The first season was tv awesomeness.
I hope not Castle character is just too gay not that there's anything wrong with being gay for my liking. Beckett is so gorgeous and womanly i just cant picture it. she needs a strong guy and maybe Castle pining for her could be the storyline.
Like others have said, I think they should get together sooner rather than later... I'm sick of waiting for all of these on screen hook-ups, eg. Tony/Ziva, Booth/Bones, Castle/Beckett, House/Cuddy... Having Castle and Beckett get together at this stage of the show would give the show a fresh angle.
Maddy and David the first URST? Come on! How about Remington and Laura, or Sam and Diane? There are probably dozens more. Anyway, I love Castle and Beckett, but I don't want them to get together. At least not until the show is almost ended.
I'd love them to hook-up but I think it will ruin the show.
Personally I don'tcare if they hookup I actually don't like Becketthat much ans she kind of anoys me, I think the show would be bette if she wasn't in it andit would be more about Castle that way it wouldn't seem like that much of a Bones clone but that's just my opinion and I'm only in the begining of season 1 so maybe she''ll grow on me
I don't care what happens between bren and booth bones will always be my number one show, and ncis next after that comes castle and a bunch of other greats.
The problem with URST is that once you play that card it can't be un-played. How I Met Your Mother is probably the only show who has survived the removal of the U twice, and it probably has its unusual structure to thank for it. So Castle, and more intensely, Bones are stuck. It's a classic television dynamic: you need to keep status quo because characters are stuck in that perfect moment just before you hook up like sparkling vampires.

Personally, I say go for it. Resolve it. Sure, have a very strong storyline to throw in just at that time, something game changer and important (and that possibly will break them up, as I suspect Fringe is aiming to do), but please resolve it. Bones is stretching credibility at this point, not just by not resolving the situation but by ending every episode in a romantic little situation like star-gazing or fixing the kitchen sink together. In fact, I honestly suspect Booth and Bones have been having offscreen sex for years by now.
I would love to see them together - eventually. It's too early, and would spoil the fun. But I think the writers could give them an awesome relationship, full of more fun and antics, rather than a simple lovey-dovey one.
I really continually have a hard time understanding why people are interested in this "Two main characters flirting but never getting together" thing. It is so overdone in so many TV shows it just has pretty much no appeal left to me at all. When two single people are attracted to each other, and especially when they regularly spend time together, THEY HOOK UP. It's part of REAL LIFE. I understand some shallow people think the relationship magic is in those first flirtations, but seriously, how shallow can you be not to want to see a relationship develop between two characters? I start to wonder if the writers of some of these shows just maybe can't get into a relationship or something. For once, I would like to see two characters attracted to each other/falling in love AND a show actually continuing through that, if the writers could actually summon up enough depth of character in themselves not to keep writing the same stale formula. Yes, this is a crack at you writers(and people whining to not have people hook up), please, give us something fresh. Writers and actors are always trying to make things feel more 'real', along with more entertaining. Richard Castle is written as a smooth guy, he's Num. 9 most eligible bach. etc, but also clearly a good guy, was married, takes good care of his daughter, etc.. Can you seriously tell me that he wouldn't have already sealed the deal by now? Please, anyone who thinks so needs to get out more often or pick up one of those "how to talk to girls for dummies' books or something, because in real life it wouldn't take half this long, and again, it would be nice if the writers had enough depth to write in a relationship and still have a good show. Stop pandering to 'fun flirting leads to happily ever after' please, there is more to people than that...
gosh i love castle and his cockynes and beckett annoyed by his antics
What ruined Moonlighting was not the fact that Dave and Maddie finally "did it"; it was the fact that they were kept apart AFTER they did it.

As long as Castle doesn't repeat that mistake, it will be fine. And from the writing I've seen so far? They aren't planning on repeating that mistake.
NO they shouldn't it's better if they're just friends\colleagues with a bit of tension if they hook up it'll ruin the show.
Too soon. The show itself is going well on its merits and it should stay that way for now. A "get together" is what they should write when a show is done its run and its time to call it quits. Then the closure is nice...
I think they'd make a cute couple...with oodles of problems, of course