Castle: Onward and Backward

Well, last night's Season 2 finale of Castle was sad. Not, like, Episode-100-of-Bones sad, but sad nonetheless. It wasn't because of Castle (Nathan Fillion) himself—he seems to have recovered quite swimmingly from last week's temper tantrum and moved his love life forward (or backward), thanks to the convenient return of his ex-wife Gina (Monet Mazur). It wasn't because of Beckett (Stana Katic), either—she's had plenty of opportunities to reciprocate Castle's not-so-subtle advances, and for whatever reason she's resisted vehemently up until now. In "A Deadly Game," she blew it, and she deserves to be punished for the way she's strung Castle along all this time.

In the end, it was poor Demming (Michael Trucco) who made me sad. Watching his face during the breakup scene was pretty heartbreaking. This guy did absolutely nothing wrong—he helped Beckett's team solve a few murders, he was a perfect gentleman, and he was major eye candy. I'd like to think he'll come back next season (maybe as a potential chum for Castle?) but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I know, I know. I'm a little naive for wanting Castle and Beckett to hook up in only the second season, but it's only because I don't want this show to turn into Bones or Moonlighting or any of the other URST-filled, slow-burn cop shows. But I suppose Castle did what it had to do in last night's finale—it prolonged the URST for another season with a semi-cliche plot twist, and it attempted to tug at our heartstrings with shots of the lead characters wearing angsty expressions and staring into the distance. It happens. I hoped it wouldn't happen on Castle, but it did. I'm assuming that by the start of next season, Beckett will have dug herself back into her deep hole of denial, and we'll pick up pretty much where we left off with these two.

On the bright side, I really liked seeing Esposito (Jon Huertas) showing Beckett some tough love. He and Ryan (Seamus Dever) have always kept their mouths shut, and it was refreshing to see him speak his mind, especially to someone who needs it, like Beckett. Even more awesome was seeing Alexis (Molly Quinn) test the waters of the dating world—and watching Castle reel in horror at the idea of her snagging a boyfriend. I think the development of this side-plot might actually be what I'm looking forward to most about next season—well, that and the possibility of actually seeing Martha's (Susan Sullivan) boyfriend Chet. I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that this guy doesn't actually exist...

What did you think of the Season 2 finale? And what do you think will happen in Season 3?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I just finished watching the finale (DVD) and felt so bad for Demming. I love the characther and I love the actor. Castle and his ex??? Still I love the show and I do not like this URST thing.
I really loved the season finale! Can't wait for Castle to come back!!!
The season finale was amazing and not at the same time. The episode was filled with URST and angst. Poor Beckett though after finally getting the courage to admit her feelings and Castle moves on. I'm blaming Castle more for just moving on and not waiting for Beckett. I think what happened here will set them back in season 3. Beckett will be back to being friendly and Castle will be Castle at least the writers didn't jump the gun by having them end up together. Sigh...
i want them to get together, i don't see why they can't. shows are stupid like that. if it was real life they'd have had a one night stand by now probably :-p but i don't think there was anything romantic between Castle and his ex, it didn't seem playful saying she has to be "on top of him to finish his book" it seemed like she was actually just going to make him stop procrastinating and actually FINISH THE BOOK. as for Alexis, i saw it as her messing with her dad because he can trust her but he was still being all dad-like and being anxious about the co-ed dorms, not her "testing the waters of the dating world"
I've had the hugest crush on Michael Trucco since Battlestar Galactica. He seriously needs his own show. He's super sexy! The show could be all about reading the phonebook and I would still watch it. Michael Trucco... *swoon* ;)
I liked the case, the poker game and thought it was pretty good overall. The ending scene though wasn't well done. I'm hoping next season they put a little more focus on the other characters instead of having Beckett and Castle in every scene.
Loved the episode. The acting was excellent. I agree with you, I felt bad for Det. Demming. The murder mystery itself was excellent. I love it when they have Castle's poker playing authors in the show. I have to agree with them, Castle needs to get away and write. I'm sure Castle and his ex will not stay together very long. See you in the fall.
I think they handled it beautifully. Now Castle will be away all summer and he and Beckett can think about each other.
One of the best season finales, of all the 10 shows i been following this winter, maybe NCIS can beat it
I want them to hook up. Most shows take the will they/won't they thing too far (I'm looking at you Bones and Smallville) and never give a really good explanation as to why the characters don't try to make a relationship work.

With good writing you can keep a relationship interesting.
I don't watch Bones, but I'll agree that Beckett dropped the ball last night. After all, when Castle came running, storming even, into Becketts apartment after the bombing, she should have realized he was more than just a temporary partner. Castle, however, is not without fault. He shouldn't have had the ex meet her at the station! I mean, really, are these writers getting their ques from the Niles-Daphne fiasco on 'Frasier'??
Lee is right, it wasn't 100th episode of Bones sad, but for me at least it was a close second. Beckett, with the help of some tough love, finally admitted to herself what everyone else has known forever: her and Castle are meant to be. I feel extra sad for Demming, because his only fault was that he isn't Castle (tho I have to admit I hated him for that exact reason when he showed up). As always, the side cast was brilliant, and I'm really looking forward to Alexis' plot next season. It would be awesome if Castle went caveman-dad on some poor, unsuspecting boyfriend. Finally, I think the saddest, heartstring-pulling thing on the finale wasn't Demming, or Castle's daddy's little girl issue, or even Beckett's devastation at realizing what she'd lost. It was all the cop friends watching from the window, realizing even quicker than her that all of her second chances had just run out. Made me want to cry!
I am glad this show took this path. Moonlighting died when Dave and Maddie hooked up.
i enjoyed the allusions of Caste and Becketts relationship used throughout this episode from the beginning with the show castle was watching and finally with the actual case. But I hate to see Kate heart broken she's to pretty for that! it should have been castle who was heart broken. this was truly a sad.. but i'm glad i dont have to be sad alone... thanks
Poor Anders. He's smokin' hot and he keeps being put in second place.
i enjoyed the season finale even though i would like to see Beckett and Castle get together cant wait for season 3 wish it was here already
Yes, it would have been too soon. Mid-to late season 3, maybe, but this was too soon. And sure, the end was semi-cliche, but I loved the whole episode, and even that end had something of the classic tragedy about it: despite everyone's best intentions, the opportunity was missed. It wasn't Beckett's fault: she just came to terms with her real feelings a tiny bit too late. It wasn't Castle's fault: he'd been given every reason to believe he'd lost out to Demming, and was stepping out of the picture to let them continue without his having to watch. If he'd only known... But, we'll return next season with both of them at least knowing their own minds much more clearly than before, and that's no small thing. Can't wait to see how things actually play out!
I was touched by the sad "Bambi" eyes of Kate at the end but I really was expecting this sudden 'grab him by the face and kiss him" move...

And I do agree with bmill2, supporting cast was great!
It just made me mad. The writers said they weren't going to jerk us around like that and they did. -___-.
I think the "supporting" cast was excellent in this episode. From the subtle hints dropped by the Captain to Esposito's straight talk, the show does a good job of portraying the mutual friends that care about Beckett and Castle while still recognize its ultimatley not their decision. Seeing Ryan, Esposito, Lainey and the Captain peer on in anticipation at the Castle-Beckett talk only to be disappointed and disheartened was like in-show representation of the fans.

I agree that it was really hard to see Demming crushed. Thankfully the writers didn't turn him into angry or jealous, blaming Castle for the break up. He was simpy sad and confused. I'm excited to see what season 3 will bring for everyone.
While I do hope they don't wait as long as Bones ( which I love by the way), I think that now would have been too soon.

• 8:00 pm