CBS kills Moonlight, saves Mother

CBS today made a bunch of television fanatics very angry. The network put a stake through the heart of Moonlight lovers everywhere, opting not to bring back the vampire drama for a second season, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The decision comes on the eve of CBS' upfronts in New York City, which will outline the network's upcoming schedule. Moonlight had been considered a bubble show with a very devoted fan base--devoted enough to even donate blood in its honor.

On the other hand, today was a good day for fans of How I Met Your Mother, and they may have Britney Spears to thank for it. The comedy was granted another season, possibly in part to Spears' guest appearances, which boosted ratings during sweeps.

Also getting another season and proving the Seinfeld jinx to be a myth is The New Adventures of Old Christine. The show, starring former Seinfeld cast member Julia-Louis Dreyfus, has been picked up for 22 more episodes. Rumor has it that ABC was ready to take on the show if CBS axed it.

CBS is also welcoming half a dozen new shows to its lineup. The network has picked up new dramas The Mentalist, Jerry Bruckheimer's Eleventh Hour, Harper's Island, The Ex List (previously titled Mythological Ex), and a pair of comedies, Worst Week of My Life and Project Gary, starring Jay Mohr.

Other moves by CBS include renewals for The Unit, Rules of Engagement, and the sinking of James Woods' Shark.

CBS is expected to reveal its schedule tomorrow.

I really loved Moonlight, I was looking forward to another season.
at first my husband questioned this show. but once we watched it we loved the show. we are very sorry to see this one go and they keep some really lossers of shows. still love the show and would be glad to see it return again in the future.well done for a vampire show, they had it going in so many different ways then we thought that they could.
Moonlight Sucked. How many more vampires who 'resist their urges' are there, and with as many as there are, why are any of them special? Also, being able to smell what happened was a really stupid idea that had no real basis. Vampires are boring, and entirely overdone. Move on. The show wasn't anything like Firefly, or smallville.
well cbs u really messed up. I personally dont like comedy cause its not comedy its just ppl acting stupid, comedy has not been all that funny, but a good story is hard to find and when i find it they rip it apart, what jerks. Keep ur dang comedy shows i sure dont even bother watching them.
I am sick cbs cancelled "moonlight"..my favorite show. Are the heads of cbs stupid or something? I think I am done with cbs. I am just sticking to watching HGTV. Boo to you cbs.
OH EM GE!!!!! HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT CANCLING MOONIGHT!!! its suicide! dont you understand how many ppl watch it!? its a great and awsome show! and hello! everyone loves vampiers! sigh...you guys are ideots! im sorry but this is just not ok!!! UUUUUHHHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!!
I cannot believe ( well yes I can ) that CBS would make such a BAD BAD BAD decision. In my opinion, they need to stop with all these STUPID shows (including all the reality shows.. which just get old). And listen to the viewers ! Moonlight was a hit in a short period of time...uhhh HELLO !! And then to add new shows to the lineup. WTF ??!! I could go on and on, but I just heard the news and I am trying not to actually say the words that want to come out of my mouth. I think the viewers need to get their point across this time. This is just ridiculous !!!
Don't get me wrong people, I too watched every episode Moonlight the night it aired, and I will miss it, but I think it is an insult to Buffy and Angel to compare this show to how good they were!
After winning an award for the show how can a network qualify such an idiotic move as to cancel it? Does the right hand even know what the left hand is doing? It is not the SciFi Channels remit to clean up the mess of other networks by picking up cancelled shows. They have their own high quality shows to produce
Its a shame CBS have decided to end a really good show. Hope they change their mind.
This is so stupid! Why would they do that?!?!? Don't get me wrong, "How I Met Your Mother" is a great show, but I haven't seen a show with as much potential as "Moonlight" since "Smallville" came out. And I've never loved a show as much as that one so, That means it's a really big deal!
I can't believe this, that they would cancel such an awesome show. I look forward to every Friday night. They are so cruel to cancel in the middle without allowing the fans to finish, so typical. Always a very lame excuse, They don't care about the viewers & fans.
#@$%#&$ YOU CBS THOUSAND TIMES OVER !
Has they lost their minds? Finally a story worth watching and they want to bring back a dead horse.
Why do stations have to get rid of shows that I really like for instance Moon light. That is one of my favorite shows and now I have to see it go down the drain, well I hope that enough people write in and are able to save it.
I can belive that CBS is just letting this show pass the way. I can´t believe that they prefer such a fool show to remain instead of Moonlight. Sorry CBS you lost one more over here.

Thanks for the show anyways, it was awesome!!
So disappointed at the news of cancellation. It's getting more and more exciting! How sad it is...
do CBS have a cluse what the audience want because all that stupid episodes that they are continue not at least one worth viewing it. Sorry but instead of brains what do they have !!! moonlight was a perfect remains me of buffy the vampire slayer.
Well, that tears it. "Creative differences?" CBS wouldn't know creativity if it flew up & bit them in the......neck. I realize that one viewer doesn't mean diddly to you CBS, but you've lost me for good now. Have fun with your pathetic who-can-stab-the-most-people-in-the-back reality shows...come to think of it, that IS right up your alley, isn't it? Please, someone pick up this show...Fox, Sci-Fi, CW - somebody.
Moonlight was my show. I waited all week long for Friday night to come around. Now it is gone. My family has already stopped watching CBS. I did not even really know about Numbers until I started watching Moonlight. I just kept watching CBS after Moonlight and I got hooked on Numbers. But if I have to give up Moonlight then I will have to give up Numbers too. I am loyal to my shows. We now watch the other networks.
Moonlight was one of the most sexiest interesting shows with a plotline in it. And they keep a stupid show like 'how I met your Mother' give me a break.
Moonlight is the best vamp show since Buffy! They were going places with the story line...and we, the fans, need to continue the ride!

Bring Moonlight back! ...How I met your mother...seriously?!?! Even though "Willow" apears in it...it's no Moonlight!
the only good shows on cbs-they drop whats wrong with those out dated foogies?i use to watch a lot of tv even in the summer months,moonlight comes on gee a fantastic show with talent and sex apeal and after winning award for the best new drama on tv.the bloomin nerds deside to blow it off the air we have all the stupid reality shows and do we have enough crime shows yet????? i hate you cbs all that is left is david letterman and craig ferigeson show when are you going to jerk them off too.you money grubbers
CBS is flat--taking no chances, going with situation comedies (many not so funny) and sticking with tired CSI dramas (blood spatter, ballistics, etc.). The execs must have no real imagination. Cancel Moonlight and keep New Adventures of Old Christine (and the like), way to go. Now we’re down to a couple of shows on the network that we watch. Moonlight had an interesting premise but was not well promoted. My son said that none of his friends had even heard of the show. Too bad the show had not been done on Showtime or HBO at least it would have had a couple of years and a promotion budget to see if it caught on.
Moonlight is a good show. Why in the world would they cancel it, thats just a dumb move on cbs's part
i am so sick and tired of networks canceling good shows,,,moonlight was awesome,,,and I'm so peeved I would love to use stronger language,,,CBS CAN GO TO U KNOW WHERE
I still can't get over the cancelation of Moonlight... Why did they have to do that???
awesome...
I really don't understand why they cancelled Moonlight was getting good ratings in the eight million rage I'll be really happy if the CW picks it up. Screw you CBS you suck!!!!
Firefly, Blood Ties, now Moonlight... that's it. I now refuse to watch any more North American shows because the eejits who run the networks over there obviously only want Desperate Housewives meet 24. Again. And again. And again. Thank the Gods the BBC has commissioned a new scifi for the end of the year - at least we'll get a fair crack at that!
i hate how America is trying to rewrite all the Australian and English hows in order to fit with American culture and humour. None of these shows will have any appeal internationally which also means the networks are shooting themselves in the foot.
Wonder what moron is in charge of deciding what stays and what goes. Someone needs to be fired for that effing decision.
I'd rather watch Moonlight than any of the (Reality) shows out there.... Bastards. We haven't had a good Vamp show since Angel, Forever Knight and Kindred the embraced (May he rest in peace). Sorry if I missed any.... Why must people continue to compare it to those shows ??? They all have the same basis. Vampires, Love, Good vs. Evil. I was just happy a vamp show existed again.
CBS is out of their minds! Hopefully it is true that it might move over to the CW. CW seem to have all the best shows now (Supernatural, Reaper, and so on) so maybe it will be better for Moonlight to move to a better network.
I have watched CBS the most out of all the stations, but I am beginning to think I will have to find another network to watch. Not only did they screw up by cancelling Jericho, now they are cancelling Moonlight. How is it that they don't have the common sense to keep the good shows. They are willing to keep shows like How I Met Your Mother which are a dime a dozen and get rid of good shows. I'm beginning to think that there is a lack of common sense at CBS. It's pretty sad that they had to resort to bringing Spears on to the show to get attention, when they had a perfectly good show with Moonlight.
Keep Moonlight! This is a smart, witty, sexy show with great characters and actors! Do not kill this show! If CBS is too stupid to keep it due to "creative differences" with Joel Silver then another channel needs to pick it up! Come on Sci-Fi, FX, CWTV or Spike! The sponsors will follow!
Bring it back! Hello CBS. You are no longer controlling the air waves. Zunes and Ipods allow people to chose their own programing - commercial free! I can live with free DVD's of old television shows from the library and watch them on my Zune or Ipod. No need to tune into CBS ever again. Moonlight was the ONLY reason to watch. Boooo. Boooo. Two thumbs down - way down - for this stupid decision to axe a perfectly good show. Bleep you too AC Neilson. Your ratings are skewed and everyone on the inside knows it.
It may have been a recycling of "Forever Knight." But, it was undeniably well-done. Or, at least, done much better than Lifetime's "Blood Ties. Thus, it most certainly did _not_ deserve to be cancelled. "Dexter," yes! "Moonlight," no! My only hope is that Scifi Channel will have thw wisdom to pick it up as a replacement for BSG.
I have to rant and rave now! I am tired of these networks being so freakin' wishy washy. No one at these studios seem to understand that fans and people watch these shows and love them. Shows like Moonlight have a strong fan base. They are making a mistake in letting this one go. This is ridiculous. I am sick and tired of these networks letting good shows go. I am about ready to boycott tv again. I am not trying to be over dramatic but, I am sick of getting into good tv shows and then being upset when they get canceled over the first season, I get upset over ones that have been on for a long time as well. The ones on for a real long time I can understand a little bit more but one season. Why?
I can't believe that CBS is not going to bring this show back. I just watched the VERY LAST SHOW and o my god! it was so intense! every second of it! When NBC threatened to take of Medium, the fans got it back on...why can't CBS listen to their viewers???
WHAT THE F....... HELL IS CBS THINKING ARE THE BRAINLESS (YUM LET ME THINK AB OUT THIS FOR A SECOND YES YES YES YES YES YES!

YESYESYEYSYSYEYSYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WAS THE ONLY THING I WATCHED ON FRIDAY NIHGTS BECUASE NBC WERE ALSO BRAINLESS AND CANCELED LAQS VEGAS SO NOW I HAVE NOTHING TO WATCH ON FRIDAY NIGHTS I GUESS NOW IT WILL HAVE TO BECOME A MOVIE NIGHT ITHER RENT THEM FROM NETFLIX OR GO PAY $20 BUCKS TO GO SEE A MOVIE .

I AM SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW IT IS SO NOT FUNNY I WANT THE HEAD'S OF CBS ON ON A PLATTER! THEY ARE SO STUPID.SURE LET ALL THE REALITY SHOWS COME ON IF ALL THE NETWORKS WANT TO PUT ON REALLY DUMB ASS REALITY SHOWS THINKING THEY CAN GET RATEING THEY ARE ALSO GONNA LOOSE RATEINGS BY CANCELING GOOD SHOWS LIKE MOONLIGHT AND LOOSE ALOT OF THERE TV VIEWING!

I AM SO BUYING THE DVD SET WHEN AND IF (AND SO HELP ME GOD IT BETTER COME ON DVD ) IM SORRY IF IT WASNT FOR NCIS OR CSI NEW YORK I WOULD SO DUMP THIS NETWORK AND I AM JUST ABOUT TO DO THAT WITH NBC SINCE ER IS JSUT GETTING PLAIN DUMB AND AFTER 14 YEARS ON THE AIR IT SHOULD BE GONE BY NOW THE ONLY REASON I STAY THERE IS BECUAE OF MEDIUM BUT THATS IT!

I HATE THE NETWORKS THE ONLY SMART NETWORK IS ABC!
This shouldn't surprise anyone. CBS has a record of canning good shows and leaving the junk. Maybe it wasn't violent enough or there weren't enough juicy scenes! The only hope that Moonlight fans have is that another network might pick it up. I would totally stop watching a CBS show if Moonlight were on another channel. They didn't give this show a chance...and did you notice that the advertising was slim to none compared to the other shows? I really believe someone had it in for this show from the beginning. There is no reason to watch CBS anymore!
This is such crap. I only watch CBS for Moonlight and CSI: Miami. I would totally boycott the network if not for Miami too. I had a feeling this was going to happen and yet I let myself get into the show anyway. I don't understand why they don't let shows have more of a chance. It's like they don't even get time to get their feet wet and then they're yanked. I miss the old days of shows, really. They got seasons and seasons under their belt even when people thought they sucked royally. I mean come on...Dawson's Creek, for example, anyone? Ha.
CBS Strikes again. They keep the brainless, stupid shows like Old Christine (double barf), and How I Met Your Mother(barf), but cancel an ingenious, well cast, and well written show like Moonlight! Go figure!?!
Moonlight wasn't that good or original. It was just a copy of an old show called "Forever Knight." Same basic concept: Instead of a vampire P.I. it was a vampire cop; internal torment; in love with a mortal woman; an ongoing relationship with his Sire, etc...
Unbelievable! Not only should they not have cancelled "Moonlight," but the powers that be should have thought of making into a full length feature film staring Alex! What network is going to be smart enough to grab this great star!
OMG!!!! Cancelled Moonlight?? I really thought it would get a second season!
ONFG! Moonlight was my favorite new show this year outside of Terminator. I can't believe they canceled it! Didn't it win the People's Choice award?
Studios are so retarded no, it's not even funny.
Boo, RIP Moonlight. The writers strike has stuffed up most shows. New shows don't stand a chance, shorter interupted seasons.
How I Met Your Mother is renewed! LEGENDARY! this show has a great cast and NPH has never been funnier. Hopefully Ranjit gets more episodes
Load More Comments