CBS offers Jericho compromise, fans throw nuts

One of the oldest tricks in the book of television production is the cliffhanger ending--a certain "OMG" moment designed to entice the viewer to come back for more. In particular, the technique is used in season finales, allowing fans to spend the summer theorizing over what will happen next.

Unfortunately, some shows end their seasons on cliffhangers when they fail to get picked up by the network. The result is a lot of angry fans who have invested time in the show, only to see the last chapter of their books ripped out right when they were getting into it.

Such was the case with the CBS drama Jericho, which was officially canceled last week. However, CBS will try to give at least some reprieve to viewers and offer some sort of insight into what would have happened in the next season.

On the official Jericho message boards, CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler offered a statement late last week to the many fans who were disappointed with the show's demise.

After expressing gratitude to the multitude of fans who watched the show and the crew that worked on it, Tassler hints that CBS isn't just going to sweep the story of Jericho under the rug.

"Thank you for supporting Jericho with such passion," read the statement. "We truly appreciate the commitment you made to the series and we are humbled by your disappointment. In the coming weeks, we hope to develop a way to provide closure to the compelling drama that was the Jericho story."

While CBS may have been hoping the statement would have cooled off a few of the angrier fans, it appears to have merely stoked a new fire to demand the show get renewed.

Fans have already started a unique campaign to bring attention to the show's cancellation. When character Jake Green, played by Skeet Ulrich, said "Nuts" to a rival town's offer of surrender (borrowed from US general Anthony C. McAuliffe response to German forces in World War II) in the series finale, fans took it to heart.

Jericho lovers are rallying together to send as many nuts to CBS's corporate offices as possible. NutsOnline.com is hosting the "Nuts to CBS" effort, allowing people to purchase peanuts at a steep discount for the cause. The result is literally truckloads of peanuts--5,690 pounds as of press time, according to the site--en route or already delivered to Tessler or Kelly Kahl, senior vice president of programming and planning at the network.

Fans interested in helping to join the campaign to renew Jericho can visit Jericho Lives for more information.

I watched this when it was on network tv. I just found the last 7 episodes on Netflix. I quit watching because Gerald McRainy left. The show was good and relevant. Maybe more relevant in 2015 than it was in 2007
It's bull shit they canceled this show is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen some one needs to do there fucking job right for once and make it come back on!!
One thing that really makes me mad is the fact that you bring in the show that I really got into and to have it canceled. Not knowing what happened next. At least CBS could do is have a back up plan to end it right instead of have it hang the way it did. To me that is not professional, somebody is not doing there job.
Jericho is one of the best series aired in 2006-2007 . I can't see the reason why they wanted to cancel it in the first place . I'm glad that for once a great show with such promise gets to stay open for at least 7 more episodes !
Jericho is back!!!! CBS has confirmed it will return for at least seven more episodes. There will be more if there is increased support. Finally a network is taking note of the public.
im still seething about the jericho cancellation. although im not sure how much good it would do i tried to send nuts as well but it looks like the nustonline webpage is down. wonder if cbs got to them. i guess i have to protest against nutsonline now too.
Defenitly Made me mad. I watched every episode.. and this has happened over and over.. Same as other networks. when a new show actually get good they cancel it..

Here we see it again..

I would say they should have like 2 backup episodes to end a series if in case its canceled. then add them tot he DVD to makes the fans happy. No instead they just cancel it and thats the end,..
Jericho is one of the best tv shows ever......they cannot let it's fans like this........we need it to continue.....WE NEED OUR SHOW BACK!!!!.....in Romania there are very many fans and now are simply angry......canceling jericho is one of the greatest mistakes that CBS could do........WE NEED JERICHO BACK........thanks
If CBS wants to commit suicide, by all means lets let it do so by cancelling great shows and putting in moronic reality shows like "Kid Nation" (aka Lord of the Flies II).

The only hope is they sell off the franchise to Sci-Fi channel.
I still can't believe CBS actually cancelled this great show. It is the only one I actually marked off on my calendar. It is a thought-provoking, action-packed drama, the likes of which we hadn't seen for a long time. Now they want to cancel it - unbelievable. Bad decision CBS. We want our show back!
Since CBS decided to cancel Jericho we've decided not to watch any new shows offered up them. I can't imagine why they would cancel a program of this caliber, the plot and actors were top notch and was such a terrific break from all the repetitve cop shows and those horrid reality shows. Nope CBS...you won't get another chance to leave us hanging EVER again!
Hey everyone,
I hope CBS reconsiders it's cancellation of Jericho! Just remember to not get too radical in the efforts to get them to notice our dissatisfaction. You may steel their resolve and lose any chance to get it back!
Thanks,
Lonebuc
CBS owed the audience to announce the shows cancellation in time for them to do a series ending show. CW owed the same to Gilmore Girls.
I was so shattered when I found out that they are thinking of ending Jericho. I just couldn't believe they were going to end the show with such a big bang & think that fans won't want more. Seriously, that was like one of the best season finale's I've ever seen. As I was looking around to see if there was any good news or others that felt the same way as me, I came across this. I couldn't stop laughing after reading this. I just loved this awesome idea with the nuts & all. Good on you guys!

Here in Australia, last week Jericho just came back from it's hiatus. I think they are up to Ep. 13. I just couldn't be bothered waiting so long , so I watched ahead. Now that I know that they are thinking of ending the show. I can't stand to see advertisement for the show. Just knowing that other fans here in Australia will soon be as disappointed as me.
Deznaj, what I meant is that Jericho doesn't have a main hero protagonist like Jack Bauer that has lived through multiple gunfights, nuclear detonations, poison gas attacks, etc. I think he even used his heat vision one time to take out a basement full of jihadists.

Gerald McRaney was a supporting character yes, but he was also the closest thing to a big name draw for the show (ie a recognized star).

Almost all of the other cast members with the exception of one are virtual unknowns. To kill off McRaney took guts in my book. It meant that the writers had faith in their script and where the story was going.

About how many episodes do you think 24 would last without Kiefer?

I don't know why all of these haters have to come on here to bash Jericho? If you don't like the show fine, don't watch it. Why take the time to post negative comments?

That was my whole point with the 24 comments in the first place Deznaj. I was responding to a member named grissom_jack024 who said Jericho sucks and compared it to 24.
Nuts! What is it going to take for the networks to allow shows to find a fanbase?...I just wish that they would at least give shows that are cancelled some notice so they can try to finish storylines or give fans some kind of closure. CBS sucks nuts
Well, I watched the first few episodes because it was a great idea. But then it turned into crap. It turned into a fricken soap opera with everything about the characters lives, which is horrible. The main events of some of the episodes were just a fire breaking out at a house and then they put it out and they say, that was close, and it ends. I just stopped watching there.
I liked it! not the best one, but it is a shame it is getting cancelled!
Most of the episodes were craptacular, the whole season 1 plot was kinda dumb and there was a lot of bad acting, but Jericho had its moments, a bit like NBC's Surface one year ago, which was canceled as well. Hopefully CBS can do the same thing that NBC did this year with the replacement show...
I'll admit that I was never a Jericho fan...but sending the nuts to CBS is a bloody fantastic idea!! Sounds like fun, so I'll join in...

NUTS!!!!!
I think it's great that the fans are sticking it to the CBS bigwigs.

Cancel Jericho? NUTS!!!
jericho is and awesome show and i looked forward to seeit every week. I really was discouraged to hear that it would not be coming back for another season. I hope there is something they can do to bring it back at least to tie up the loose ends. I mean how can they just leave everyone hanging like that!
I am a Jericho fan. Whether you are a fan or not there is an issue that impacts all TV fans. We are responding to another show that has been canceled with no closure. Unfortunately this is the norm rather than the exception with TV series. All we are asking is that if a network airs a show then the viewer should be treated with respect and not be left with a cliffhanger and unresolved plot lines. I would not read a book or watch a movie that is missing the last chapter of the last 15 minutes. Why should I watch anything on TV if the networks can't commit to bringing closure to their shows. It even makes economic sense with future DVD revenue.
This show started off great but when the quality story lines did not bring the in the ratings, they went to an action adventure scenario.

I am happy that CBS stopped the madness and saved the true fans of the show from seeing what should have been a great social drama deteriorate into an over the top shoot em up show.

The best suggestion to the networks is look to cable. When you have a show like this only do 12 episodes a year to keep the quality high.
I think the total nuts ordered from Nutsonline.com is well over the 20,000 lb mark now, it seems that the campaign is gaining momentum
"In the coming weeks, we hope to develop a way to provide closure to the compelling drama that was the Jericho story." How exactly? just type something on the message boards? Perhaps some kind of online comic?
Gerald McRaney is more convincing on Deadwood
"Also, sending bottles of Tabasco to the WB didn't help Roswell too much, they only got one extra year." - Synetech

But at least they got another year. The campaign might not work but the only way to know is to try. CBS may be locked in to a decision at this point but they should be penalized and made to see how the decision has affected fans.

One more note: If you don't like the show, that's totally fine. But why post here? Goodness knows there's enough TV on the planet for all of us. You enjoy your shows and we'll enjoy ours. Everyone wins.
That's a lot of nuts!
Why does CBS accept them? From my experience, you can refuse delivery of any UPS package.
A great way to get noticed. And hoping for a season 2.
everybody! http://www.nutsonline.com
What a waste of nuts!

Don't they know how many squirrels are starving in Africa?
I want season 2 CBS. YOu hear me?

Don't get angry. Get NUTS!

Boundspirit "At least Jericho had the guts to kill off one of the major characters (Gerald McRaney) in the first season to keep it real. That is far more realistic than anything 24 has ever done with Bauer."

So ONE of the supporting characters died, ow wow...

Actually, in 24 major supporting characters drop like flies, so your point doesn't make any sense to me.

Jericho was an OK series, but it's cancelled because of it's limited appeal. But I guess there are always people with nothing better to do than to petition for a TV show. Maybe you all should focus on petitioning things that matter, like human rights and the environment.
Jericho was the best thing on CBS, and now it is gone. Why?!?! It is obvious that many people loved the show otherwise there would not be so many people trying to save it. TV viewers don't need another stupid reality show. I know I personally don't give a rip if I ever see another one of those mindless, lack of creativity, cookie cutter piece of wothless junk reality shows again in my life!!! BRING BACK JERICHO!!!!!!!
Nina and CBS have promised exactly nothing. They "hope" to but have actually not promised to do a thing to bring closer to what was the biggest cliffhanger this season if you ask me. Lost provided an episode that IF the show was canceled could be considered an end of sorts (we'd be left joining the dots but it was an ending). Heroes end was a flat out dud with the only saving grace being the line that tells us there is possibly someone worse than Sylar out there.

Jericho delivered and was canceled. Cancel Nina and any CBS exec that had a hand in that then bring back Jericho.
Jericho is better then most shows. i don't watch all that much TV, but it was good enough for me to enjoy.
Posted by grissom_jack024leave it be.., i myself didn't watch jericho because ir sucks...!!!!

Come on now grissom_jack, I don't go posting at boards for shows you like, such as 24, that Jack Bauer is a completely unrealistic cartoon character.

At least Jericho had the guts to kill off one of the major characters (Gerald McRaney) in the first season to keep it real. That is far more realistic than anything 24 has ever done with Bauer. That took nuts.

I really liked Jericho. It never blew me away in the beginning but it was always pretty consistent and got better as the story progressed.

My girlfriend wouldn't get into it at first because she had a feeling it wouldn't be renewed. She didn't want to invest the time only to have the rug pulled out at the end of the season. Well I talked her into it and guess what...

This is the reason why a lot of people don't get invested in shows like this anymore. Who wants to keep up on a drama with a progressive story arc only to have it axed.

I think I am only going to watch hi risk/investment shows on DVD from now on and ONLY if they make it to a second season.
Jericho is such a great show if CBS don't bring it back they will drown in nuts.
Cancellations are not based on ratings as they want to let you believe and as it's officially known but on who-knows-who and who-gets-recommended-by-who type of thing. So, if a producer is not recommended enough he/she simply loses the oppurtunity to mantain the job even if it was already started, in favour of some other more recommended people... And recommending is not based on production/show quality and such... otherwise we wouldn't see the best shows getting cancelled while other pure garbage low quality ones keep going on and on for years despite their ratings...
I dont get it...what do they look at to decide to cancel a show?? It cant be ratings...with a rating of 9/10 on tv.com and 8.1/10 on IMdb.com with thousands of votes...They always cancel the best shows....this is getting frustrating, you get into a story line and then the rug gets pulled from under our feet. And lets face it people there not much that can be done...we got a movie out firefly...and thats it. How many shows do you know that was brought back cause people werent happy???

It just sucks...i'm just gonna wait for series to finish and go rent them, that way I know I wont get screwed in the middle of a show!
jericho was crap,i'm glad its gone
Jericho cannot end on a cliff hanger. We have to see what is going to happen to the series. CBS bring back Jericho!!!!!
Jericho was loved by a lot of younger viewers!
Thats it! CBS, your are DEAD to me!

CBS is the second TV company that is 'Dead to me'. The first was FOX for their evil canceling of Firefly.
CBS comes up with a truely original series, with a great storyline, and they cancel it?? Maybe if they called it Jericho CSI they'd keep it. It could take the place of Miami CSI which is almost as bad as Walker, Texas Ranger. Nuts to CBS!!
i dont think that this is over yet jericho will come for more and will kickass
CBS cancelled the 2 shows that was the only thing they got going for them STUPID CBS BRING BACK THE CLASS AND JERICHO!
Of course Viacom (CBS' parent company) wants to cancel it. The show's smart and entertaining. CBS gave up on the intelligent crowd when they thought that CSI deserved a second spinoff. It's just like the way Fox likes to cancel good shows - fans write in and get upset and they do absolutely nothing but hail us with platitudes.
lol you go guys! i'm with you!
Load More Comments