CBS Renews Big Brother

THE IMPORTANTEST NEWS

... Big Brother is watching you You will be watching Big Brother, for another season at least. CBS has renewed its reality show for a 14th edition, probably because it only costs the network about $3,000 to make. So go ahead and spend your rent money on cheeseballs, because you'll be living on CBS' dime once your Big Brother contestant application goes through. [CBS, via press release]

... If there's one thing TV needs, it's more shows about detectives. NBC to the rescue! The network is developing Blue Tilt, starring Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio as a pair of detectives who must deal with the stress of the job while maintaining their personal lives. Just once, I'd like to see a TV detective say "F*** MY PERSONAL LIFE!" like Jimmy McNulty from The Wire. That guy knew what was up. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Adapting comic books is getting so popular that every new comic-to-TV adaptation seems to be for a comic I've never heard of. Fox is working on a TV version of The Spectre, about a dead cop who goes after live crooks on behalf of the dead. Listen, if the superhero never had his/her own line of Underoos, I don't know who they are. [Deadline Hollywood]

... You guys like Casey Wilson, right? The SNL vet has a comedy cooking at ABC called Walk of Shame. You know, that thing that you someday hope to do after a night of passionate, anonymous sex with a handsome stranger but can't because you still won't let go of that girl/guy/goat you kissed in eighth grade. No real details on the show yet, except that it's a—you guessed it—ensemble of twentysomethings, New York-based laughapalooza. [Deadline Hollywood]

... National Geographic Channel, or "NatGeo" if you're texting, has picked up three reality shows: Goldfather, about Alaskan prospectors; American Gypsies, because gypsies are hot right now; and Navajo Cops, about police in the Southwest. [Variety]

THE CASTINGEST NEWS

... Hawaii Five-0 is slowly becoming Lost 2.0. Jin and John Locke are already on the island, and joining them will be Alex! Tania Raymonde (anyone know if she's still dating Jeff Goldblum? *barf*) will guest-star as a woman who's cheating on her husband with a volleyball coach. Those volleyball coaches... always so sleazy! [EW]

... Two new actors have joined FX's WTF-fest American Horror Story. Morris Chesnut, last seen as a lizard on V, will appear in multiple episodes as a black guy. (Hey, what do you want me to do? There are no details yet!) Sarah Paulson (Deadwood) will play a medium named Billie Dean for four episodes. [Variety/E! Online]

... Jersey Shore's Vinnie, also known as the only tolerable one, will guest-star on The CW's 90210. Vinnie will play a celebrity poker player when the 90210ers go to Vegas in November. [TV Line]

... Raising Hope has enlisted '70s icons Lee Majors and Shirley Jones to play the Burt's (Garrett Dillahunt) parents. Groovy! And other things they said in the '70s. [TV Line]

THE STUPIDEST NEWS

... PBS' Downton Abbey, your grandmother's favorite show, might actually be amazing. The drama has received a Guinness World Record for "highest critical review ratings for a TV show." Meaning it will be canceled to make room for America's Worst Doctors, Mario Lopez's Celebrity Pilates, and/or Generic Singing Competition #3. [Deadline Hollywood]

... This is pretty funny, actually. Real Housewives of D.C. husband Tareq Salahi called the police today believing that his wife, Michaele Salahi, had been abducted. But wait, it gets funnier. Turns out Michaele hadn't been home in over a day because she ran off to Nashville with the guitarist of Journey, Neal Schon. Now that's how you dump someone. Bravo, Michaele, you self-centered, attention-seeking whore. [TMZ]

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Although the Spectre's been around for, what, nearly sixty years, it's not surprising that anyone who doesn't really get into comics has never heard of him. I can't exactly say I'm looking forward to seeing Fox murder the character, either. I believe in the saying, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all...
More like 70 years. If Fox tried doing the character as he was done in the '40s or even the '60s (when Jim Harper and the Spectre seemed to exist as two separate entities), it could work. But the definitive Spectre from the '70s, who might chop killers up with giant scissors? The show would probably have to be done on a premium cable channel to do the character justice.
Concerning Blue Tilt, given a choice between a group of exclusively white teenagers, a "reality" show, and a procedural, I will pick the procedural almost 100 percent of the time. As for the Spectre, I have an easier time seeing that as a series than I do Deadman. Since the character was co-created by Jerry Siegel, I wonder if Fox will market it as "From the co-creater of Superman."
Ugh, does anyone watch cop/detective shows anymore? Now a show about a dead cop solving crimes? How bout a cop who dies and then his brain gets transplanted into a....panda bear....now with the ability to communicate and his bamboo addiction plaguing him, he BEARS down on crime. He is the black and white in the black and blue. He is...Manda Panda!!
of course there is more BB, who is married to who at CBS?
Maybe Casey Wilson thinks Happy Endings wont go past season 2? I think Happy Endings will get picked up again after this season... then Walk of Shame will replace her with another slightly-fat white girl instead of re-shooting the pilot.
Once again Tim, can you PLEASE put News Briefs somewhere on the home page. I hate Big Brother so I skipped this to begin with, which wasn't a massive loss today, although I didn't know if I should barf, laugh, cry or stare at the screen in a state of incredulity when I read Tania Raymonde is/was dating Gooldblum. I guess that means there's hope for us all?!?
Agreed - or at least please begin each News Briefs article title with the actual words "News Briefs" (e.g. News Briefs: CBS renews...) I get all TV.com stories send to my google reader via RSS, and I always skip the News Briefs when the title happens to be something I don't care about. Meanwhile, I miss out on all the other tidbits of info that I crave so very much!
Staff
You guys make a lot of good points. On the homepage we are able to say "News Briefs" above the headline, but obviously it only comes through the RSS feed looking like a "single-item" story. Same thing used to happen with "What to Watch Tonight"; that story in the feed was like, just a list of three show titles instead of What to Watch Tonight: Show A, Show B, Show C. Hopefully it's been helpful that we changed it. I suppose next we should tweak News Briefs so you no longer miss stuff!
Been pretty disappointing this season