CBS snuffs out Guiding Light

CBS has reshaped, rebuffed, and reshuffled its schedule countless times since 1952, but there's always been one show on the schedule that's been consistent--Guiding Light. That's all coming to end, as CBS has decided to end the soap's 57-year television run.

Guiding Light is the longest running show in broadcast history, having first graced televisions in 1952. Prior to that, the drama got its start on the radio in 1937. The show has won more than 60 Daytime Emmy awards--quite a feat considering the Daytime Emmys didn't start until the show had already been on for 20 years.

CBS has announced it will not pick up Guiding Light for the 2009-2010 season, with the show ending its CBS run this September.

However, producers are still searching for a way to keep the show on air.

"We are honored to have been welcomed into the homes of multiple generations of Guiding Light viewers," said Brian T. Cahill of TeleNext Media, Inc., the show's producers. "We are working hard to find the show a new home, and we are exploring all our options to continue to bring loyal fans the characters and stories they love."

Daytime soap operas, once a staple of the afternoon hours, are now facing extinction thanks to a downturned economy and the prevalence of syndicated talk shows.

hi so I totally love kim. I wish wish I could meet her. like a dream of mine. she is my guardian angel. Iaotally credit her- I saw parallels between daisy and me. I was also in a hospital invironment for anorexia so I totally connect to daisy- and reva is like my family. someone I love forever. I miss reva- wish I icould meet her. she truly is like my family. and the daisy character is totally telling my storyesp the abortion- the same thing happened to me but I did so by myself- without someone like reva- - she could be telling my story. reva/ kim toally becamepart of my family. now and forever. I love reva shane! !!! a angel to me and totally part of my fav family. god bless u kim! totally would love to meet her and thank her in person - totally connected 2 the daisy rafe story. like watchin someone tell my story. reva u truly helped me threw a hard tiest time in my life. wish wish I could thank her in person- totally mylifelong dream 2 meet kim ie bucket list. it would make a anorexic very happy.
Why?? I am so sad, I have been watching since I have watched tv. I really hope GL finds a new home, it is like a piece of me is gone :(
I am 31 and have been watching the Guiding Light since is was 14 years old. I have my DVR set to record the Guiding Light everyday, while I am at work. I along with many others am sad to the Guiding Light end. This show has a great group of actors and wish them all the best in the future. I wish another network would pick the show up.
PLEASE,PLEASE CBS DO NOT TAKE OFF GUIDING LIGHT I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW SINCE 1983 HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR.I LOVE THE SHOW.IT WOULD BREAK MY HEART TO SEE IT END.I RECORD THE SHOW WHEN I'M NOT AT HOME.COULD YOU PLEASE WORK SOMETHING OUT.I WILL GET MORE THEN A 10 THOUSAND VOTES TO KEEP THE SHOW ON.JUST TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP I WILL EVEN GO DOOR TO DOOR GETTING SIGNATURE FROM GUIDING LIGHT FANS. TAMPA,FLA
I started watching Guilding Light when I grandfather would have lunch and lie down for a rest and watch the show. I think he just loved the show. Now, many years later I have become a fan. Please find a way to keep the show on the air.
I started watching Guiding Light with my Mother 50 years ago...I feel like I grew up with the cast...This is a tragedy and they will be missed greatly...I hope at least some network station will do the reruns...I would love to watch those..
I really do hope someone will find a way to keep Guiding Light on the air. I hope someone will pick it up. I've been watching the show for 30 years. I so look forward to watching the next show. I don't see how so much can be resolved in such a short time. It's a shame to see such an awesome show with such awesome actors go off the air.
I started watching this show with my mom and grandma. I love this show and the cast that has been and are still on it. I just think that you really can't end these stories the way that you are trying to end them now. There is so much that needs to be told on this show and it is a shame that CBS has not picked it back up for the upcoming year. This is a long time habit and NOT going to be easy to break it, if I miss it on T.V. I catch it on the internet later that night, but I always watch it.
I am begging everyone PLEASE do not cancel this show. I record on my DVR and watch online as well. I do not think I can live without this show in my life. This is one happiness I have and my 11yr old son and husband even watch sometimes. I am 38 yrs old and I have been watching this show for 30 yrs. This is an old habit to break, I may go insane!!!!!
I have been watching this show every since I can remember, as a child I watched it with my mother, save the show, cbs really needs to consider this, the morning soaps are so awful to me, I only watch Guiding Light, now that Phillip is back it can only get better, Reva is my favorite, as Jonathan, get him back permantly and it would be great. Save the show.
Has anyone thought about moving gl to ion television. they are positively entertaining.
wtf...i just started watching again and went online to catch up and found this i have watch this since i was 10 and i am 30 hopefully t101 or soap will pick up and i hope guiding light will make a come back and kick cbs a**
Guiding Light deserves to stay. I like others will boycott CBS if they cancel the show. Although I enjoy other CBS programming I will cease to watch it if Guiding Light is canceled. If you want to cancel something make it the Judge show or Price is Right or anything other than Guiding Light.
As a number of people that have commented on the cancellation of Guiding Light, their annoyance, anger, disgust, and finally the ceasing of watching CBS all together, I would agree with these feelings and course of action. I myself have watched Guiding Light since I was a child and have grown up watching character like Kim Zimmer, my favorite actress on the show. Like others I record the show and watch it later. CBS could have canceled any other day time drama and left the oldest running show alone, if one of the reasons is due to economic concern. I do have to wonder if people from CBS read these comments, if so please take into account the number of those who will no longer watch this station. CBS has canceled far too many shows for me to continue to watch.
Please do not take Guiding Light off the air. I have watched it for 56 years and my mother listened to it on the radio.
I have been watching Guiding Light since I was a child- over 50 years. My Grandmother use to listen to the radio version before TV and my mom or friends would fill me in before there were VCRs and TiVo. While some plots are better than others the show is definitely better than most other TV offerings and I am very sorry to see old friends go.
I have watched Guiding light since I was a little girl in the 60's with my grandmas. I watch it faithfully every evening thanks to the DVR. I will be very sad when the season is over. It is a big part of my history. It is the only soap I have ever watched.
I am so sad. I have been a faithful GL fan and have not missed an episode in 40 years. I sure hope a new home can be found for GL! If this happens...I find no reason to watch any show on CBS! Take Y&R or B&B but not, ATWT or GL. These two long standing soaps are a piece of our history and society.
You might be ending the show, but don't you think it's a little rediculous to have Natalia acting her celibate part when she is pregnant!!!!!
I too am in my 50's, and have been a faithful viewer of GL since my wild and crazy 20's when I first arrived in the U.S. from the U.K. While our economy and actually our society is crumbling, this is another lifeline which I will be losing unless the powers that be at CBS get a brain and don't cancel it. When I've spent time out of the country I've forced my husband (not really, but he knew I would be very unhappy if he didn't do it) to record it on the VCR; once I was gone for nearly 4 months, and he recorded every episode which I then watched in a viewing orgy lasting several blissful days. Please, please, everyone who has experienced these trials and tribulations over the years, vote so we can send a petition. Actually I'm not sure how to vote, so I'm not sure whether I did or not -- I'm not one of the 'techy' generation. All these 'reality' shows are disgusting and boring!! Has everyone lost their mind? And yes, just because we may not be able to watch it at viewing time doesn't mean we're not recording it! I'm disgusted with everyone who has contributed to this despicable decision!!

sandywalker
I am highly upset with CBS for canceling this show. Of all the other daytime soaps, Guiding Light is my favorite. I have lost interest in Y&R, and never truly got involved with the Bold and the Beautiful. As the World Turns, is a good one too, but out of all the soaps, I would have been okay losing them. Yes, I said it - I chose Guiding Light over The Young and The Restless. I sympathize more, feel closer to, and feel more connected to the characters on Guiding Light opposed to all the other CBS soaps. When life prevents me from being at home to watch it, I DVR it. It is the first thing I do when I come home every day. Even my fiance has been caught up in the web we all lovingly know as Guiding Light. My kids are just as enthralled by the show as we are. CBS has canceled a couple of my favorite shows this year, and I wont be seeing them come Fall. Guiding Light and The Unit are among those favorites. I can't imagine myself watching CBS much longer after they drop Guiding Light. I was upset with the loss of The Unit, but I am devastated by the loss of Guiding Light. I can only hope that another network will pick up the show, because I can't imagine life without the Spaulding's, the Lewis', the Cooper's and the Bauer's. CBS is dumb for letting this one go. It is the longest running show on TV. It has historical value to it - lol! If CBS is doing this in order to save money because of the economy, they are making a GIANT mistake. There are a lot of people out there, myself included, who will stop watching CBS all together, if we are forced to lose Guiding Light. We shall see how the network ratings decline after the show is canceled. In my humble opinion, it would have been a lot smarter of a business move, to find a network buyer for the show BEFORE canceling it! What a shame and what a waste. CBS will soon see the error of it's ways! Dumb CBS, very, very DUMB!
I have been watching all CBS soaps for as long as I can remember. I never thought that the Guiding Light would be taken off the air. I am in my 50's and that's what we watched in the house growing up. I hope that somehow you find a way to keep it going but please if you don't can you at least let it end with something really good for Buzz. He needs a happy ending. I know 3pm will never be the same. Try Try Try to keep it going!!!!!!!
Please do not take Guiding Light off the air, I have been watching this since 1971, this would be a travesty to have this taken off, we all wait for the next move of the Bauers,Spauldings, and the Lewis's is going to make, please find a way to keep this show on!!!!!!!!!!!
i can't believe that guiding light won't be on air in september i don't think daytime soaps will be the same i won't be watchin cbs anymore i don't understand why a good soap is going off the air guiding light has been apart of my life since i was little this is a good family show when Buzz lost his son coop i cried for two days the way that buzz reacted you don't get acting like that anymore you have a wonderful show don't throw it away somebody needs to pick this show up come on nbc you haven't had another soap in forever so nbc needs to this one. i have watch this show for over 24 yrs this show gives you hope makes you laugh even if your own life is suckin. these stars are far better than any daytime that i have ever seen. This would be a bad move for cbs network!guiding light i think your awesome and i hope to continue to see all the wonderful actors
I can't believe they are taking off the guiding Light. I have watched this show since the very first televised version came on the air. I am now 67 years old and GL is still my favorite show I plan my day around the soap and if I can't be home to watch it now I can tape it to watch when I get home. Please don't take it off the air take bold and the beautiful first. Judy
the date is wrong on my last post. today is 4/29/09,& it is now about 10:30 & I am watching GL. Oh by the way,when I was working I taped or recorded the show & it was the first thing I did when I got home!

And whats with all the glitches in the sound & video lately?
It is not fair or right that a show with such long standing air time is being cancelled! I watched this show with my mother when I was a little girl,& my daughters watched with me. I still watch every day & so do my daughters. Its a part of our lives,something to look forward to,to enjoy. The characters are almost friends,we love them! You cant cancell this show!!!! If the ratings are low its because of the writers,& whoever approves them. Fix it dont cancell it.
wow of all the daytime shows there are I and many of my family and freinds think CBS made a bad mistake this time again they cancel a very long running and very watched show for what another talk show what a joke!!!!I will not or will my family and freinds be watching what ever replaces this show and hope that another station picks it up and goes on lo last a very long time . WOW CBS who are your working for not the fans
I would be very disappointing if they take this show off the air. I hope the find a way to keep it on. There are alot of dedicated fans.
My 2 sisters and I began watching GL with our Mom when we were very young. All 3 of the sisters are still watching. It would be a major disappointment if this program was cancelled.
I have been watching GUIDING LIGHT every day since 1988. Never before I have seen such a dedicated and talented cast. From seeing them take time out of their personal lives to help out needy families and children after a hurricane, to even making the best out of filming GL scenes outdoors when the sets became limited due to the downtown in the economy. Their true talent still shined through. They are all truly amazing and inspirational to me. Remember the former GL contest/question WHATS YOUR LIGHT? Well I can definitely say that My Light for the last 21 years has been watching GUIDING LIGHT! Not having any family of my own nearby the show and cast became in a sense like family to me. I have always looked forward to tuning in for each episode. Hopefully CBS or a different network can continue with GL after September and not let this wonderful longest running Soap disappear. GL has made a positive impact in my life and I would really hate to see it go. Carol G.
USA TODAY is doing a poll on TV shows people would like saved. Go there and take the poll and write in GUIDING LIGHT. It's a chance to get our point heard in one of our nations largest newspapers. http://www.usatoday.com/life/t

elevision/news/2009-04-15-sav e -our-shows_N.htm?loc=intersti t ialskip I don't know how long you will be able to do this so try to do it right away. I have done it and it doesn't take long. Scroll down to the section that says SAVE OUR SHOWS and then click on Cast your vote in our survey Also, please go to the comments section and recommend all GUIDING LIGHT related comments. From the main "Save Our Shows" page, just under the headline "Save Our Shows: New series cloud renewal picture,click on comments. Add a comment about Guiding Light and read through the rest of the comments. Click on RECOMMEND for all comments supporting GUIDING LIGHT. You may have to register at USA Today to do this, but it's easy and quick. After registering, you'll get an email from them and you will need to click a link in the email to confirm your registration. It really doesn't take long and it's so worth doing. This is bringing national attention to our cause. Please spread the word.
This is the only show that I LOVE to watch. I record it on my dvr everyday. I really hope they keep it on or they go to a different channel. If they go to a different channel i will just watch it there. But i really hope they stay on CBS. PLEASE change your mind and keep it on the air!!!
I am so upset this is the only soap I watch I tape it and will miss it very much
I have watched guiding light my entire life of 39 years, my grandmother watched and had me watching with her as a baby and I continued to watch and enjoy the show as a young girl,then through teen years,young adulthood, and now as an adult woman I can't get enough of the show, an fully intended to share the show with my children, so the concept of it being taken off the air is unacceptable to me. Please don't let this show end!
I have watched guiding light as a small child with my mother and continued on as an adult i am now 44. That is a lot of years with one show. Please bring back the Light.Please CBS change your mind.

shirleen
I am so disgusted that GL has been cancelled.My grandmother,mother,me and my 3 kids all watch this show. i have watched GL my whole life! Some of my best memories as a child are of my grandmother and me watching this show. It's a complete shame!!!!! Day time t.v. will never be the same.Why don't CBS just cancel The bold and the beautiful. It's no where as good as GL! I will always love GL!!!!
I just can't believe that CBS is going to cancel The Guiding Light? What in the heck are they thinking. I've watched this show for as long as I can remember. I grew up watching it with my grandmother & my dad and I'm 52 now. My grandmother followed on the radio and then on to the television. This is the best show on Daytime. I don't get it. What do we have to do to convince CBS not to do this to my favorite daytime program??

Go here and sign the petition to keep our light shining!!!
Contact the advertisers of all CBS shows and let them know we do not want to loose Guiding Light. If they speak CBS will listen. CBS sees them as the customer but the advertisers know who pays the bills. Only they can change things at this point.
Never heard of the show!
Shame on CBS.....Shame on Proctor and Gamble....This show was listened to by my grandmother, watched and is still being watched on t.v. by my mother (and mother in law) and for over 25 years I have watched and invested my time and emotions with the people of Springfield. I had my babies the same time Reva and Josh had theirs....these characters are a part of my family and it has been one constant in the sea of mind-numbing, stupid, daytime shows that have no sense of good writing. This show has been a wonderful, enjoyable living novel and for CBS to take it off the air is an absolute insult to the long time viewers of their network. Shame, Shame, Shame.....this is an institution that should never be tampered with or removed!
This show has been around longer than any of the execs at CBS....ratings??? they moved the time slot on the stations to a really stupid time...put in talk shows that were totally worthless..BUT...thank goodness for DVRs...ratings...no one ever asked me what I was watching...I tape lots of shows...does that not count??

Go here and sign the petition to keep GL on the air!
Such a legacy, hopefully CBS shows them respect and honors them as they leave, unless they change their mind and keep the show alive. Unfortunately, CBS has lost all concept of legacy, sadly.
I wish they'd run some of the vintage episodes with the whole Roger Thorpe/Christina/Hope story line. I remember being home sick as a child and being confined to the couch in the livingroom while my grandmother watched her marathon of soaps...starting with Secret Storm in the mornings and ending with the Edge of Night... Oh, for the golden age of the soaps...
Go to this link and sign the petition to keep GL on the air! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-guiding-light-on-air
Come on people! Let's fight this! I'm not just going to accept that CBS is losing their mind....we have to make them SEE it!
I am very upset at the end of GL...but like every GOOD thing, its time to go!
GL has always been the most innovative Soap. Just because CBS can't see that, the Light should not be turned off!
Load More Comments