CBS's 2012-2013 Schedule: Two and a Half Men Moves to Thursdays, The Mentalist to Sundays

With a bajillion returning shows, we didn't expect CBS's schedule to change that much between this season and next, but the few changes the network did make were made were pretty big. The Eye is taking aim at Thursdays, moving a longtime franchise and one of its biggest new shows to the night in hopes of crushing NBC's comedy block for good, X-ing out Simon Cowell's eyes, and putting Seattle Grace in the ICU. Aside from that, it's pretty much 2011-2012 all over again.

Psst! There's an easier-to-read schedule at the bottom of the page.

MONDAY

The big difference here is the ousting of Two And a Half Men from the prime 9pm slot. 2 Broke Girls now has the task of anchoring CBS's Monday comedy block; can it draw viewers like Kutcher, Cryer, and the kid? New comedy Partners, about two guys whose friendship is put to the test when one of them gets engaged, fits snugly between How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls, right where it belongs. Mike & Molly and Hawaii Five-0 stay put at 9:30pm and 10pm, respectively.

TUESDAY

No changes to "A Night of NCIS." The original is followed by the Los Angeles variety, which leads into one of CBS's biggest new projects. Vegas, starring Dennis Quaid as a sheriff in '60s Las Vegas and Michael Chiklis as the mobster who wants him dead, adds some heavy drama to the night. Everyone else is doing comedy on Tuesdays, so the night's ratings might end up with CBS way out in front while the other networks cannibalize each other.

WEDNESDAY

Same as it ever was: Survivor at 8pm, Criminal Minds at 9pm, and CSI at 10pm.

THURSDAY

It's comedy armageddon as TV's two most-watched comedies Voltron together to form Super Comedy. The Big Bang Theory and Two And a Half Men are back together again in the 8pm hour. How's that for a farewell gift, 30 Rock? Harold Finch and John Reese will watch you at 9pm in the second season of new hit Person of Interest, followed at 10pm by the second of CBS's big new shows, modern-day Sherlock Holmes drama Elementary.

FRIDAY

While other networks are going with family comedy and science-fiction on Fridays, CBS is sticking to good old lawyerin' and coppin'. CSI: NY survives to handle the 8pm hour, new street-smart lawyer drama Made in Jersey (ugh, show titles, amirite?) takes 9pm, and Blue Bloods holds onto 10pm.

SUNDAY

But wait! Where's The Mentalist!? Don't worry, it's here at 10pm. It's preceded by The Amazing Race and The Good Wife. CBS ought to think about adding an adjective to The Mentalist's title, for consistency's sake. The Handsome Mentalist, perhaps?

Leftovers: New comedy Friend Me, new drama Golden Boy, and new reality series The Job have been held for the midseason. Undercover Boss will also return in the midseason. CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler on Rules of Engagement: "We're discussing, we haven't made a decision yet."

Extra notes:
– There are no holes in CBS's schedule! It's another Dream Team.

– How much of a risk is it to have 2 Broke Girls anchoring the Monday comedy block? Is Kat Dennings ready?

– Which of the new dramas do you think got the best time slot?

CBS's fall 2012-2013 schedule

(New programs in ALL CAPS)

MONDAY

SUNDAY
7pm - 8pm — 60 Minutes

8pm - 9pm — The Amazing Race
9pm - 10pm — The Good Wife

10pm - 11pm — The Mentalist

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Criminal Minds ROCKS!!! I tape every episode because I have a degree in Criminology and I am now working on becoming a therapist and would love to be a profilier in the future. I don't understand why Missing was canceled??? That was an awesome show. I couldn't wait for the next episode and was excited about the new season coming up. I also don't understand why CSI: Miami was canceled either???
Aside from Criminal Minds(which I dont like enough to record) I have stopped recording EVERYTHING on CBS....including the news. If the news is on(hasnt been pre empted) and I channel surf to it then I might watch it. Since the cancelled the only show I cared to watch CSI Miami....I dont watch nothing on CBS now...I get my news from the other local station and watch Netflix...I might even cancel cable/sattelite in the near future if they dont straighten up. Too many commercials (on PAY tv) and nothing but old stale shows.

The 10p timeslot on Sunday night is a graveyard for CBS shows no matter how strong their previous ratings especially during football season. Working people have to prepare for Monday and timeshifting via DVR or On Demand doesn't seem to help or count in the ratings. We'll see if The Mentalist weather the storm, but my gut says not to make that bet.
I agree....they killed CSI Miami, but I think they still had excellent ratings. I would set my DVR to record 2 hours after just to be sure to get it.

No holes in the schedule?

CBS only continues to be the most watched because it panders to demographics that still watch their TV in the "traditional way" - old people. Those will start dying off and the generations to come won't put up with CBS' FAR too episode fare.

I watch 2 shows - POI because it's high concept and is less episodic than most CBS fare and 2 broke girls because of amazing boobs...but let's face it 2 broke girls is terrible and I doubt I'll be back this year.
Made in New Jersey, unless it a refreshing Legal Spoof of Petro Chemical Attorney, we do not need another Liberal version of Harry's Law (TGIWC).

As a long time reader of Sherlock Holmes --- Elementary will be a poor rip-off of PBS and having Lucy Liu as Watson dooms it to another Castle or more likely worse. Who pays these geniuses at CBS? The Trix Rabbit. What does CBS have with Vegas -- Did they not have another show with the same title two three years ago the failed in week one. CSI NV is as much of Vegas as one can take because it in about the city not the Strip. CBS may want to return Joan of Arcadia, which IMO they set out to cancel because one of their Liberals just did not like the concept of G-D. Joan of Arcadia in last year of college or Grad school would be great.

Lastly Criminal Minds needs to get a romance going with Spencer.
The Mentalist is done. Look at the last couple of shows in that time slot, Cold Case and CSI: Miami both cancelled(two shows that I really enjoyed). Most of the time you won't be able to watch the show in that time slot because football always runs over. I had to set my dvr to record 2 hours after the end time just to be sure I got the whole episode.
Bite your tongue PatriciaBourg, besides, you can't say that when the 5th season hasn't even aired yet.
well i'm betting the metalist won't get a 6 th season sunday nights are where shows go to die
I will be checking out ELEMENTARY, love me some Lucy Liu on TV ;) haven't seen her in anything new in like 3 years. In fact I think that 'Cashmere Mafia' and 'Dirty Sexy Money' kinda hurt her career.
I don't get the idea of moving Two and a Half Men to Thursday. They would be better off leaving it in its Monday 8PM slot. Despite what some of the haters claim, the show still delivers giant ratings and i'm not sure 2 Broke Girls will deliver as many viewers. 2 Broke Girls is the show that needs the Thursday slot; following the highest rated comedy on television would better prepare the show to eventually (but should not now) take over Men's slot when it goes off the air in probably a year or two.

Despite the fact that I hate it, I don't understand CBS's treatment of Rules of Engagement. It's shown for years that it can deliver the ratings; the network should just embrace it.

Glad "Hawaii Five-0" hasn't changed, and "Vegas" looks good!
What is it with CBS and Rules of Engagement The show keeps getting better with this season the best.,

The eye keeps trying to replace whats not broken and inevitably goes back to Rules when the hot new show sinks.

If CBS thinks its striking gold with another Will and Grace they will be disappointed.

'Times have changed Gay characters abound on TV and the gay premise as the basis for a story is just hackneyed.

Rules rules!
they got rid of my two favorite shows. How could they get rid of CSI: Miami? They didn't tie up loose ends like they did with CSI:NY......Ugh I didn't think that they would get rid of CSI:Miami
Bring Rules of Engagement back!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like that I have more to watch on Sunday nights this fall, but I hope the move to Sunday doesn't hurt The Mentalist's ratings.
I am glad NCIS and NCIS: LA stays the same !!!!!! best shows ever :D I am pissed they got rid of Unforgetable I loved that show it worked perfectly in that tuesday lineup. Glad wednesdays stay the same! I loved Person of Interest on Thursday though i have chose between Greys and this but i normally watch Greys on DVR. The Mentalist worked perfectly on thursdays, i hope sunday doesn't ruin it. I love CSI:NY and blue bloods now i have to figure out what to watch between them. Im glad they got rid of CSI:Miami..New York is so much better. Overall, great job on the schedule oh and i love Hawaii 5O when I'm not watching Castle on Mondays :)
CBS is still the best network in my opinion, no changes to HIMYM and TBIT, I'm happy. I might try that new comedy Partners, sounds like it could be interesting.
As long as they leave 'Criminal Minds' where it is, I'm happy.
Can somebody tell me why I couldn't add this comment using Google chrome I had to use IE and I hate using it.

Anyway, Two and Half Men on Thursday huh? Kind of like that move. And my Tuesday night stays the same, yay!!

Jaden84 perhaps because CBS get $ from Microcrap. I use Linux and use Safari or Firefox. and Opera --- everyone hate Opera because it is secure and stable.
Four seasons in, and The Mentalist continues to be one of the most consistently entertaining shows on TV. I'm sure the ratings will drop on Sunday, but hopefully like The Good Wife, it won't be that dramatic. Then again, Football's gonna screw up the whole night anyway!

Damn it, CBS, the one new show I really wanted to see was Golden Boy, and now it's just a mid-season replacement...
CBS knows what they are doing. Good schedule. The Mentalist will be just fine on Sunday.

I don't know if a title can make a show, but it sure can break one. Made In Jersey makes me think of orange-tinted douchebags with bad accents doing stupid shit. It might be a great show, but I'm not inclined to find out.
So they are trying to kill off The Mentalist... Sunday night at 10pm? Crap!

Can someone please put something interesting on at 9pm on one of the networks? I liked having Sunday night be Once Upon a Time and then turn the tv off night. Now I have to kill an hour between Once Upon a Time and Mentalist and there's NOTHING on at 9 that I care about at all.

Oh No! Please please please.. don't let it be a choice between The Mentalist and The Walking Dead.
Wow, the NBC should hire the huys who made this schedule... It's amazing! Some very smart moves. Thursday are going to be dominated by CBS, I predict (another) year of CBS domination.
CBS is going with the good old daddy's motto: "if it is working, do not mess with it".. and you know what? daddy's know the best:) I'm still kinda unhappy about the cancellation of a gifted man and unforgettable, but at least CBS kinda works good with its audience and does not mess up with the scheduling which people are used to..
Lol you guys are actually trying a Sherlock Holmes drama after our amazing version and 2 films, that's comedy....
I only watch CBS Monday (minus Hawaii Five-0) so only things I will watch are those and check out Elementary and Partners. I don't like them moving 2 Broke Girls back 30 minutes, now I won't watch it live on TV probably. don't care about the rest.
Monday - Partners gets rotated out in under 3 months. 2 Broke Girls will do better at 9pm, less strife over its smuttiness.

Tuesday - Vegas doesn't see ratings magic fast and gets moved to Fridays to run out its expensive short run.

Wednesday - Bold!

Thursday - I don't get this 1 hour of sitcoms thing, it flows badly. Anyway, Big Bang and 2.5 Men together again, dangerous, but could be signs of aging. Person of Interest gets a nice lead-in there, while Elementary doesn't feel like a great fit but could work there, the slot is soft right now.

Friday - Ugh, poor Friday, that is a recipe for not working.

Sunday - Sunday killed one of the world's most-watched crime shows, so naturally they're moving another one into the slot? CBS Sunday is too schizo, The Good Wife really has nothing in common with its night-mates.

Man, they have a lot of leftovers. I suspect Rules of Engagement gets called back to the majors midseason or earlier, probably when they move a Thursday sitcom back to Monday.
well it may have not worked for you but that Friday is working quite well for CBS:)
You call hemorrhaging 3 million viewers the moment CSI NY moved to Friday "working well"?
I hope the move to sunday doesn't kill the Mentalist.
The second season of POI can't come fast enough. And I say this before the finale. Love that show.

I am still skeptical about Elementary. It better be good or it is going to be eviscerated by the critics for screwing with Watson and the whole dynamic of the guys.

Vegas I hope is going to be great. How could it not be with that cast?
I agree with all of this!
I didn't realize that "CSI: NY" is a new show -- it's in all CAPS.

This type of mistake is made year after year after year. I don't understand why TV reporters just don't get it.

Show titles should be in quotes and in proper case. You can add [New] after the title to indicate new shows.
the ones not in bold but In all caps are the new shows....CSI:NY is in bold
Or maybe it's all in capital letters because CSI(Crime Scene Investigation) and NY(New York) are both acronyms. Same reason the original CSI and NCIS are also capitalized.

As for the schedule. As long as Person of Interest stays Thurdays at nine then I'm good.
Staff
It's in keeping with the TV.com style guide to italicize show titles. It's common throughout the TV industry and the sites that report on it to put the titles of new shows in uppercase when new schedules are announced. You've pointed out one of the instances where the result isn't ideal. Apologies if it threw you; we'll try to make the distinction clearer in the future. But now that you've gotten that out of your system, tell us what you think of the new schedule!
I understand italics when a title is part of a paragraph. The lack of quotes bothers me in this context. It is the uppercase that mostly

Regarding the schedule, it seems a little surprising when there is so little that is new. Since I have 6 TiVo tuners, the actual day and time usually doesn't concern me until there are more than 6 shows across the networks.

I don't try to judge new shows based on descriptions. I'll wait until they premiere for that.

Associated Press used quotes on titles and proper case for NBC, Fox, and ABC, but included no indication of new shows in the schedule format, leaving that to paragraphs that preceeded it. I can't seem to find an AP schedule for CBS, or they drastically changed the format so I can't even be sure if they are responsible. A lot of reports of CBS have ALL the shows in upper case. That's even worse.

As I said before, I'm probably the only person in the universe who cares about that.
With POI and Elementary, Thursday 9 to 11 is set for me. Shows from other networks will have to be recorded or downloaded.
Ditto. Love PoI - my favorite new show and quickly climbing up my all time favorite list.

Def plan to give Elementary a try. Don't care at all that BBC currently has a well received version running (w/ three episodes per season! =P). Sherlock has been done and done and done again - I don't see the point the in comparing. Just because one is great doesn't mean the next will be terrible - it might be good!
Kinda sad that Mentalist moved...but hey, I dont have anything DVR'ing at 10 on Sundays so its not going to screw up anything for me.
you better set the DVR for 2 hours past cause those ball games pre empted my show for an hour and 45 minutes....then they cancelled it. People dont want to stay up all night waiting for a scheduled show to come on or use 3 hours of DVR time to record things they dont like.

cbs want godbye The Mentalist
I think The Mentalist will do just find paired off with The Good Wife. I approve of the move.
The Mentalist to sunday! what!?
I'm disappointed to hear that The Mentalist is moving again (to the same time slot CBS moved Without a Trace when it moved from 10:00 Thursday) and that Two and a Half Men is moving into the space between TBBT and POI, although I usually turn the set off and give my eyes a rest for that half hour. The Mentalist's move means I can't DVR it at least during the fall since it might be delayed due to football. Hopefully the standalone mysteries will be more compelling during season 5 than they generally were this season and Elementary will be better than The Agency or The Eleventh Hour.

And is it just me or does the premise of Vegas sound like Crime Story and Justified, which were also on Tuesdays at 10:00?
Oh you're right...that is what they did to WAT back in the day. And that football overtime is going to be a pain in the rear. I think it's a nice fit though. The Mentalist has great ratings and can definitely pull off the move, especially being behind another hit drama. It couples nicely.
CSI Miami was top rated too...and kept good ratings til it moved to Sunday....I dont see how The Good Wife survived....I fall asleep watching that waiting for CSI to come on.

smart but boring all cbs now
like the move of csi ny to 8-9. before there was a conflict when recording fringe & supernatural. now it can record along with nikita so i dont have to watch it on the cbs website and sit thru those damn commercials.
Rules of Engagement is hilarious, so they'll probably cancel it.

from now on i'm not watching any new shows until it has a season or 2 under its belt & then i'll just rent/stream them on netflix or amazon prime.

i'm tired of wasting my time on new shows/characters to just have them canceled

#awake #nbcsucks
I'm looking forward to Elementary. Not because I think it will be good (I don't), but because it's shaping up to be one of the most polarizing shows of the next fall season. There's a comment storm a-brewin'!
Word. And also because I kind of sort of like Lucy Liu...and umm Girl Power.
You go girl! ... Wow! Three things I can't pull off: Shades, leather jackets, and "you go girl".
LOL! Oh come on.. you have to at least be able to pull off the leather jacket. Everyone can pull off the leather jacket...you also have that snarky thing going, so don't sell yourself short dude.
The key is to use them all at once.

I have never seen anyone wearing a leather jacket and shades saying "you go girl" that wasn't completely pulling it off.

*notice of disclaimer: I have never actually seen anyone wearing a leather jacket and shades saying "you go girl", regardless of pulling it off or not.
Haha! With your awesome sense of humor, I bet you could totally pull it off! :D
Yep Elementary, inheriting The Mentalist spot to follow the superhot Person of Interest... It'd better make the most of it!

At any rate , of all the new 'dramas' across the networks, I am looking forward to Elementary the most - Miller's going to be a hilarious Holmes
Honestly I think Elementary did. Thursday night, right after POI. POI is still a new show viewers love and still find fresh, unlike NCIS: LA, which is not buzzed about as much. But as I've said before, I'm hesitant about this show. And the picture you have? Makes me feel even more "bleh" about the whole thing.
Used to watch a lot of shows on CBS (Without a Trace, I stll miss you...) but now only Criminal Minds, CSI Original Recipe (this show has really found it's legs again with the addition of Ted Danson) and TBBT. My wife watches 2 Broke Girls, but I don't get why anyone thinks that show is funny...Looks like Vegas got a prime spot - never got into the NCIS shows, but know that they are ratings juggernaughts - might have to check that one out...that picture of Elementary just makes me cringe...Hoping they reshow the first season of Person of Interest over the summer...due to DVR comlicts, I was unable to watch
They should have moved Two And a Half Men to a different spot: OBLIVION!

Also: I know this isn't exactly the correct forum, but was anybody else super pissed at the season finale of How I Met Your Mother? SEVEN SEASONS! Seven f***ing seasons! And we still haven't seen the mother, if you don't include her lower leg. I've had it with this show! ... But that's what I said last season, and here we are.
SO MAD at the season finale. Barney should not end up with Robin, she is a terrible character now, I'm not sure when she changed, but she isnt even recognisable as the character from earlier seasons. She needs to be gotten rid of, and Barney should end up with Quinn. Not sure where the Ted and Victoria thing is going, its been made clear she isnt the mother. much as I like the show, I think this season should be the last. Especially since someone has done the math and those two kids of Ted's would have been born this year. Maybe he adopted them though, who knows.
Never really cared for TaaHM but others love it so ... /shrug. If it increases the ratings of PoI even a teensy bit I'm happy. I love that show and want it to succeed =D

Pissed at HIMYM? Not really. I watch it because I think it's hilarious - I don't actually care at all who the mother is.
Sure, but in the other universe they introduced her in the first episode, and HIMYM never even got a back-end pickup. and THAT'S why their universe is full of holes.
Haha! Someone should tell Walter he's not the one responsible. He'll be so relieved ... Then he'll probably get high.
They shouldn't have cancelled CSI: Miami and Unforgettable. I'm tuning out when Vegas comes on, and I'm not a fan of the Mentalist either.
yeah mentalist is dumb, watch Psych instead. way funnier.

kinda glad csi miami is gone. i watched it, but it wasnt great anymore. i liked csi & ny better anyway.
They are easily the strongest network. Very smart choices with the rescheduling.