News Briefs: Is Chelsea Handler Headed to Netflix?

WHAT'S THE NEWS ON CHELSEA, LATELY?

... The question on everyone's minds these days—well, provided your name is Chelsea Handler—is, "Where the free-agent-to-be will end up when her contract with E! is through?" Welp, the newest tidbit is that Handler and Netflix are close to signing a deal to bring the late-night host to the streaming-video giant for a new series. The format of the program is yet to be decided, but could Netflix be angling to enter its own pony down at the talk-show track? I doubt it, as Netflix doesn't seem ready to play the daily game just yet. But Handler has also dabbled in sitcoms, with Are You There Chelsea? (which she wrote but did not star in) getting a run at NBC, so a comedy with Handler writing and starring is a more likely scenario. Handler, who ready to end Chelsea Lately and tore E! a new one during a March interview with Howard Stern, was most recently rumored to be headed to CBS after she posted a photo online of her reading CBS paperwork, but that proved to be a lie just like everything else on the internet (except for the stuff that I tell you, of course). [New York Post]

BUSINESS TIME

... Game of Thrones continues to break its own ratings records in its breakout fourth season. This week's episode (I reviewed it!) drew 6.9 million viewers, an all-time high for the series, as people undoubtedly tuned in to see Ser Pounce make his long-awaited debut. 6.9 million viewers is especially impressive considering HBO is a premium cable network that's only in about 32 million homes. [EW]

... Those excellent Game of Thrones numbers helped HBO launch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, the network's Brit-fronted, Daily Show-esque weekly comedy news program, and it got off to a great start, with 1.1 million viewers sitting down for the initial viewing at 11pm. That was actually up from its lead-in Veep, which drew 922,000 viewers. Maybe John Oliver will cover this news next week. Oh! And while you're here, why not check out Cory's take on Oliver's debut? [EW]

... It's another week, so let's peruse the newest list of the most-pirated television shows, because you thieves out there love this stuff. This latest round of rankings, compiled last week, comes from the piracy tracking firm CEG TEK [Variety]:

1. Game of Thrones
  2. The Big Bang Theory
  3. The Walking Dead
  4. Arrow
  5. How I Met Your Mother
  6. Breaking Bad
  7. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  8. Grey's Anatomy
  9. Revenge
  10. Once Upon a Time

... Does the busy space of media companies creating online original scripted series have room for one more? Yahoo! hopes so. The web company has announcing two half-hour comedies that are intended to compete with Netflix and Amazon's online offerings. Other Space comes from Paul Feig (Freaks and Geeks) and follows a group of spacemen who arrive on Earth from an alternate universe. Sin City Saints comes from One Tree Hill executive producer Mike Tollin and centers on a pro basketball expansion team in Las Vegas. Both series have orders for eight episodes and are expected to be available by the end of this year or sometime next year. [Variety]

... Okay, does the same busy space have room for yet another option? Because Xbox is planning to join the fracas as well. Though Microsoft announced its plans for getting into online original programming last May, we now have concrete details. Starting this summer, Xbox will push out a handful of new projects. In the unscripted arena, there will be live-streams from stinky music festival Bonnaroo (June 13) and the docuseries Every Street United, a nine-episode ordeal that will search for the best street-soccer players in the world and coincide with the start of the World Cup. And in the scripted category, get ready for a sci-fi series called Humans, about synthetic people, which is targeting a 2015 release. As for the anticipated live-action Halo series being produced by Steven Spielberg... no updates. ARGH! However, an animated digital Halo feature is expected later this year. I guess I'll continue to watch live-streams of Titanfall until my wife gives me permission to buy an Xbone. [THR]

... TNA World Wrestling wrassler "Showtime" Eric Young is hosting a series on Animal Planet, because obviously that's a network that makes sense for wrestlers to call home. No Limits will follow Young as he travels the globe engaging in extreme physical activities (i.e. things I would never do) like chasing pythons in Florida, river boarding Class IV rapids in Tennessee, and climbing an iceberg in Alaska. This will actually be Young's second Animal Planet series; he also hosts Off the Hook: Extreme Catches. Look for 10 episodes of No Limits starting Friday, May 30 at 8pm. [Animal Planet via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Comedian Sarah Silverman is done building a career around poop jokes. She's doing Orbit commercials, she's voicing animated characters, and now she's joining Showtime's Masters of Sex. The period drama has booked Silverman for a recurring role in Season 2, as a character named Helen. That's all we know about her, because the network isn't saying squat. Don't forget: Master of Sex is moving to summer this year, and Season 2 will premiere Sunday, July 13 at 10pm. [Showtime via press release]

... Comedy Central's fake-news show The Daily Show has added a new fake-news correspondent to its team of fake-news reporters. Michael Che, who's currently a staff writer for Saturday Night Live, will join Jon Stewart on TDS starting this June. Trivia to impress your friends: Che was the first comic to appear on Late Night with Seth Meyers! [Deadline]

STILL MORE HIMYM NEWS

... Still smarting from the angrifying How I Met Your Mother finale? Well, it could have been even more brutal. Star Alyson Hanigan says that heart-wrenching footage of titular mother Tracy's funeral was cut from the time-jumping montage in order to spare viewers the sadness. However, Hanigan believes its inclusion would have helped viewers process the fact that Ted did indeed mourn his wife before jumping back on the Robin bandwagon. Would you have wanted to see Tracy's funeral? [TV Line]

I think that people who say that a funeral scene and showing mourning over Tracy's death are totally missing the point of why everyone was pissed off with the ending in the first place. It was never really about the fact that the mother died.

I hate Sarah Silverman with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, so I am not happy that she'll be popping up on my new favourite show. Even that picture up there of her stupid face makes me angry, and I can't even hear her stupid baby voice. Hoping Ginny gets to tear her a new one. Or Dr. DePaul.

Chelsea Handler is kind of outstaying her welcome, huh?
I don't think a funeral scene would have made much of a difference in how the finale would have been received. Maybe, just maybe it would have softened the blow a tiny bit but not much.

It's one of the most confusingly received finales of all time. It's difficult to even catagorize all of the reactions to the show (in an attempt to understand them). To each person it tends to mean something different.

There are the camps that seem to have just been shippers and wanted their fairy tale ending and not something realistic. (i.e. Barney was never going to be the happily married type)

There are those who got confused over vague possibly fantasy concepts such as "true loves/soulmates" etc. and thought Robin was his because he ended up with her.

There's the camp that took the title too literally and/or thought the title meant he would end up with the mother forever. Many didn't like the fact that he had ulterior motives in telling the story about how he met Tracy (which was the only thing the title promised) and felt like it meant he wasn't telling the story about how he met Tracy.

There are those who felt like they were being sold the idea that Barney had progressed beyond his player lifestyle and that Robin/Ted were past each other (they were purposely sold the exact opposite with those scenes). They felt like the show had betrayed all of that.

With this many different reactions to the finale, it's safe to say they will never be able to satisfy the audience with any kind of alternate finale.

Sarah Silverman is a brilliant comedian and one of the best examples of the great strides women continue to make in comedy. She does a better job breaking down stereotypes than almost anyone I can think of. I would even rank her above Tina Fey, who is one of my favorites.

Chelsea seems like she's starting to get a bit desparate. She should have left years ago when her show was considered to be really hot.

Michael Che's a great addition to The Daily Show. It's been awhile since the show added anyone really great; this could be a start. John Oliver is really the only guy who's been that successful on the show in a long time. And it took him taking over as host for me to really be convinced. There was a time when the show rivalved SNL in producing talent with Colbert, Carell, Helms, Corddry, Riggle. But the correspondents have really fallen off. Nobody seems to be dying to get Wyatt Cynac or Aasdif (sp?) Mandviv. They're not exactly jumping into stardom and are basically lifers compared to the earlier guys.
I can't see Netflix working for a late night talk show. Just doesn't seem like the type of thing a person would binge watch.
Sarah Silverman a smart, sexy and outspoken woman should get more jobs so she can offer the world more of her person, as of now there is not enough.

As for HIMYM and its finale even adding the funeral would not have done anything for my annoyance with this shows finale. A whole season aimed at one weekend and a few minutes of the bliss between Ted & Tracy.
One reason Game of Thrones may be doing well despite the limited number of homes is that people are visiting those with the channel just to watch the show. And it's also very likely that people who have it are recording it for those who don't.
They have the amount of success that they have because of pirating. The creators even said so themselves...
I was referring to the TV ratings. Those who have HBO don't need to pirate it, except maybe to catch up.

Arrow? Really? I guess one explanation could be that enough people still find it watchable...eventually, after the immediate stuff. Or maybe they really like it, but I'm leaning to Scenario #1.

I don't get Chelsea Handler. It's not her fault that she looks like Walter from Fringe wearing a blonde wig, but it is her fault that she's not funny. There's a fat white guy on her show that's funny, though. Maybe they should give him something more to do.

Good pic of Sarah Silverman. I don't think I've said that before.

Another possibility is that a substantial portion of the country is not served by a CW station.
That sucks for them (or does it...?), but that portion of the country would still have to want to watch the show, so I'm gonna tack that onto #2. There are a lot of other shows they also wouldn't be able to get, yet it's Arrow up there and none of the others, which brings us full circle.
Good luck to Masters of Sex moving to summer, that did great things for Dexter's last season.
I'd argue that it was Dexter's writers who did "great things" for its last season. Though, if we're just talking ratings here (which I know you are, but I just couldn't stop myself from taking a shot at that finale), you're right.

:D
I'm surprised that Revenge is in the most pirated shows and Justified isn't.
I'm surprised but the last 3.
"6.9 million viewers is especially impressive considering HBO is a premium cable network that's only in about 32 million"

So, just over 25 million HBO subscribers choose not to watch the show?
Why watch live when you can download it? It's what all the cool kids seem to be doing these days...
Depends on how badly they hate spoilers.
Have we forgotten that both Are You There, Chelsea and Whitney, two shows where Handler had her hand in were beyond horrible. Netflix, aside from revive The Killing, has been making good moves. I don't think this is a good move and honestly I am kind of concerned that with Craig leaving CBS that I might be where she ends up.
With Craig leaving, she can HAVE the whole CBS network.
Hopefully not, Chelsea Handler's one of the most unpleasant celebrities out there right now. She's as funny as cancer and looks like hammered shit, the worst thing is she's not aware of either of those things so it's just uncomfortable to watch.
HIMYM - Who gives a crap now? That funeral would not have helped the fact the entire wedding season was a phenomenal waste to begin with. As I stated before, the very last episode should have been the last season more fleshed out, but it still would have been crap in the end.
Could not agree with you more, I've already forgotten about HIMYM (in fact I forgot about it last year until people started talking about the series finale coming up).
Am I the only one who thinks Chelsea Handler is slightly less funny than Schindler's List?
You're comment is the funniest thing I've ever seen with Chelsea Handler
There was that one funny bit when Ralph Fiennes decided not to shoot people.
Netflix was one thing, but everybody getting in on the original "tv" show streaming bandwagon is getting kind of annoying. if i pay for one, i'm not going to pay for another.

Chelsea Handler doing a tv show seems weird to me because she's always saying she hates acting. I don't like E! either but I don't think she should leave, look at how much she talks about the network and people on it not to mention how she's always on vacation and somebody else is hosting the show. if it's not Netflix, nobody else would put up with that.

could've shown the funeral, but it still would've went back on EVERYTHING the character have gone through and grown up because of. the ending they filmed in season 1 only would've worked if the show had only gone to maybe season 3-5.
If a show is on Netflix and nobody watches, is it still a show? Chelsea Handler on Netflix wouldn't work at all in any format except maybe producing.

Why would anybody pirate a broadcast network show? It aired free! Almost half that top list is broadcast, must be a lot of overseas where there's no license I guess. Sorry foreigners, our shows aren't that good.

Yahoo! didn't do a good job producing original scripted content before, or rather, they produced good content and then forgot to tell anybody it existed. I'm looking at Burning Love as my sole example.

I hope Sarah Silverman is never done making poopie jokes.

If The Daily Show is adding more correspondents, I would love to see the series expand to an hour and let them do more pieces.

Oh for god's sake, HIMYM having a funeral scene might have softened the blow of Ted being SO quick to jump back on Robin's jock, but the rest of the episode would still have faceplanted and it still would have suffered the same bad result.
Why pirate network shows? You do realize the majority of people on this planet are not Americans? Some of us live in places where it either doesn't air, or that it airs but requires you to pay for some crap service (like horrible cable companies that force you to pay for 50+ channels and you couldn't care less about 49.5 of them)

Also when you download shows, you watch it at your own time, your own pace, can re-watch them as much as you want and most importantly: No commercials or spoilerish previews.

It's not about pirating for free, it's about basic convinience.
"Ted being SO quick to jump back on Robin's jock"
He waited SIX YEARS.

Some reasons people might pirate broadcast shows:
1) they live in a place that DOESN'T HAVE broadcast stations. (In my youth, I lived in a community that had ONE broadcast station. The CW doesn't have anywhere close to nationwide coverage now.)
2) Like several shows that air at the same time, can't record 'em all.
3) Oh, crap, there was a new episode yesterday? I thought it was going to be a rerun.
4) commercials? What commercials?
5) Local station pre-empts network programming for local sports team.
Six years to him - a minute to the viewers
Isn't it the viewer's responsibility to realize that and understand it?
i think they wanted to surprise the audience (by being so fast) and they also assumed that the audience would understand as well and take it as a brilliant plot twist
In the real world I would think it was perfectly natural for someone to get together with an old flame 6 years after their spouce died - but this isn't real life this is a (very long) story. And in this story it felt very sudden and hurried - if that was the ending they were going for the whole time, they shouldn't have spent two minutes on it.
it might be free but not everybody has a DVR, and DVR can only do so many at a time.. probably pirating to pick up the slack.