Christian group targets Cold Case

The grumbling between Hollywood and conservative groups got a little bit louder recently. In this case, the Culture & Media Institute has fired shots against CBS' forensics drama Cold Case.

The group, which describes its mission as "to advance, preserve, and help restore America's culture, character, traditional values, and morals against the assault of the liberal media," claims the September 30 episode of Cold Case was "an exercise in bigoted, Christophobic fantasy."

In the episode, titled "That Woman," a young woman with a promiscuous past joins a Christian-based abstinence group, only to discover that the members don't practice what they preach. In order to protect the group's secrets, members murder the girl the old-fashioned way--by stoning her to death.

"When's the last time your local Christian youth group stoned somebody to death," writes Culture and Media Institute's Colleen Raezler, in an article that accuses CBS of "taking cheap shots at abstinence education" and portraying Christians as "judgmental and downright rude."

Raezler also takes issue with the youth pastor featured in the show. According to the article, when one group member confesses to having impure thoughts about him, the pastor asks her to confess these thoughts to him with her back turned, "so he can pleasure himself."

It isn't just prime time that's sinning, according to the group. The Culture & Media Institute and Raezler have also brought the brimstone against daytime television. The writer claims that Oprah Winfrey promoted irresponsible sexual behavior when she had a show featuring couples in an open relationship, and that Whoopi Goldberg's light-hearted comments about "doing" men and women on The View were "definitely inappropriate."

Yeah Christianity. That's the religion that comes to mind immediatly when talking about intorlerance and stoning people for indiscretions. Yeah, those people! Yawn! Wake me when they have the guts to take on Muslim honor killing (including actual stoning in some parts of the world) or little girls having their genitals mutilated to keep them faithful as adult females. Yeah, those vile hypocritical Christians. They are the real problem!
Well you see I'm Christian and as I read most of the comments most of you targeted Christians not all of you but most and I just wanted to write that I too feel that this group is somewhat ridiculous and need s to grow up but also that not all Christians are like this you see I believe that some of us forget what were supposed to do and thats love not hate and criticize everything and thats what most do but I personally like the show a lot and that episode didn't effect my beliefs cause you see that kind of things every where
Oh please...
You know, the irony is that people seem to be forgetting that the one character who was "acting Christian" in this episode was the character who DIED. Why harp on the portrayal of the hypocrites? Not to mention that people forget that the show has plenty of positive portrayals of Christians. Not only are Valens and Stillman both Catholics, but Stillman's brother is a PRIEST.

The case that the show is anti-Christian doesn't hold water, in my opinion. People are just selective about what they see.
It is always amazing to me how "Christian" groups have nothing better to do but sit around and criticize things. It's a television show and also someone should let them know it's fiction. It in the instance of those episodes that was what was happening, it doesn't mean that all "Christian" groups stone women or all youth pastor's don't touch themselves during a confession. Just like all people don't murder, groups aren't getting together to criticize how "murder's" are portrayed. It's a TV show, get over it. There are other things "Christian" groups could and should be doing.
I'm not a Christian but I have met some groups who brought me to their faith. There are hypocrites and there are those who follow the word with warmth and sincerity. I think the show picks on Christian and the Catholic faith a little too much to the point of bullying not just this episode but others as well. It doesn't pick on the flaws of Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, and others because they are afraid of backlash of being bigots and Anti-semites. I believe lot of those religions have the issues as Christians when it comes to sex, money, and morals (bigotry, ignorance, and hypocrisy to faith). It needs to make that distinction and the writers, producers, and directors are not doing this. They are just bullying. I thought the episode called the truth but it is not just Christians with these issues. Believe me, I'm a Hindu born and it is there.
I can't believe people get upset over fiction. This is probably coming from people who spend WAY TOO MUCH time trying to argue that the Bible is real. I guess I should tell them "You get what you deserve if you act high and mighty".
Bet they loved the last episode of Bones.
Of course Christians can't be portrayed as judgemental because that's not them. christians as a whole are the most judging condesending people out there, they don't follow what the bible says. And, yet they believe they're going to heaven. Then they wonder why there is so many atheists in the world. IT'S BECAUSE OF THE DAMN CHRISTIANS!! Christians should be worrry about what's really important in the world, like protecting our borders, healthcare, education, the war, feeding and helping the homeless. There's bigger fish to fry than this episode on a television show. It just goes to show how pathetic Christians can be.
It is just fiction! Its not these shows that give religious groups a bad name, its how the actual groups respond to things like this! They need to grow up!
i dont know about this one
How dare a religious group judge a tv show? Its by definition a fiction, that means that it can talk about things that aren't real. And as far as I know Cold Case is not as critical as Law & Order about society. This group can preach what it thinks, but must leave the viewers be the only judge of what they watched.
I am An R.C and we have been getting it in the neck for the last few years over some very bad eggs giving us mass on Sunday and hearting our kid the next and you I would stone them to death if they ever did anything to my kids so CMI shut up at least in the west we can show are faith warts and all the good and the bad and yes some TV takes it to far but that’s life live with it would you like to have fear rather than understanding hid are dirty little problems behind closed doors. If cold case or any other show makes people ask questions about themselves and what’s going on in are world fin with me. And if people just want to sit down and watch a good show and be entertained for an hour and think nothing of it after wards that’s just fine with me to because after all it TV and not American idol.
The CMI is just another tentacle of Brent Bozell's Media Research Center, and this woman is a sock puppet for Bozell's ideas. The man dislikes any television more violent than Sesame Street and if he had his way would see all women dressed in burqas. He and his clone army generate 99% of the complaints to the FCC - fortunately they regard him as a spammer and delete most of what he sends. He is much like a member of the Taliban. Ignore him and his group.
Oh for God's sake! Get it? haha well anyway, this is ridiculous and in fact gives a bad name to christians imo! Makes them sound radical! Quit your whining! What a crock! All this politically correct crap is getting out of hand. First Philipino doctors, now christians, one of these days i'll sue CSI because one of the killers was a fat guy! C'mon!
These "watch dog groups" don't speak for all Christians. I just wish these extremists would grow brains and bite their tongues now and then. If they actually read into the story, "That Woman" was condemning hypocrisy. And I'm so sorry to burst their bubble, but anyone can be capable of horrible things, even the most reverent family people. Just listen to what neighbors and family members say after their trusted friend or relative commits a horrible crime. "He was such a nice man. Always playing ball with his kids." or "She was a good mother, until she did...." It happens. You'd think anyone who has faith in things they can't see, could also believe in things right in front of them.
I can't say anything abut this specific episode since CSI is just a little to grizzly for my tastes. But I can comment about this group's gripe that Christians might have been portrayed as "judgmental and downright rude.". Being gay I can tell you that I've be judged and treated rudely many times by many Christians, so this gripe rings hollow to me. (You might be amazed by how many people who know nothing about you are excited to volunteer their "judgement". Strikes me as quite rude--especially when delivered in a condescending tone.) Now if they really worried about a negative portrayal in the media, I suggest they turn on most any of their own TV/radio preachers and just listen to them go off on "me" every day and night--ad nauseum. If they're gettting a reputation for being rude and judgemental, it's by their own hand and not from CSI.
If they did the same thing except Muslims (which actually still happens in places like Iran and Saudi Arabia) things would get very ugly very fast for CBS (the Dutch Mohammad cartoon indicident for example). Christians are considered fair game since all they do is protest a little.
I SO AGREE WITH SWEDE85.

THERE ARE SO MANY MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO GOING ON IN THE WORLD THAN WHAT IS ON A TV SHOW.

AND BY THE WAY I LOVE COLD CASE.

IT A TV SHOW PEOPLE COME ON!!
Why complain about something on a television show? Complain about the things that are happening in real life
The Christian groups goal is to "to advance, preserve, and help restore America's culture, character, traditional values, and morals against the assault of the liberal media." What a load of bull. I'm conservative by nature, and though I don't always agree with what the liberal media shows on television, it is just tv. Besides, since when did America have culture, character, and morals. America, and I do live here by the way, has been corrupt since the very beginning. You aren't going to restore anything. Tv is tv, and sadly what they depict is sometimes true. Religious fanatical groups exist who decry America is evil, well guess what you live in it. So stop whining and actually try to change the things that are evil, don't whine about something on television when there are worse things in the real world.
Consider the nature of the program cold case deals with unsolved murders. I generally think when looking for a murderer you will find people that are a bit whack. Whatever religion a person subscribes to or not doesn't change the fact that as human beings we are selfish judgmental and generally of the opinion we are right. I have not seen this episode of cold case but I find it amusing that they complain of bigotry and mockery of abstinence education. From what I read in the above article it appeared to me that the show advocated abstinence by the death of a girl promiscuous. Finding it difficult to get my thoughts in writing, but simply put if the shows producers where making a mockery of abstinence the girl would never have died as she would join in with their promiscuous behavior. Culture and Media Institutes's Colleen Raezler should surely realize that this albeit fictional girls death reinforces Christian values as she stands up for her beliefs regardless of her past. Again I don't know what happened in this episode but it doesn't make sense that she would be stoned to death if she agreed with what was going on. Final point I'd like to make is to ask a questions 1. Write down 10 words you would associate with the Muslim or Islamic faiths.

Id be extremely surprised not to find the word terrorist or terrorism in everyones list. Yes this could be construed as bigoted but my point being we humans create stereotypes some are nice most are offensive and bigoted. It takes understanding and tolerance and perhaps a different perspective to see the true. I should probably watch this episode with an open mind you should to.

Thanks for reading everyone wishing everyone love and peace
it was a good show and i dont think it said they were like that but hey it is a tv show
Cold Case is like the best crime drama on telivsion.
meh...
I would never want to shut down Cold Case--it is one of my favorite shows. Maybe I am judging and am not noticing when they have a good-guy Christian, just noticing the bad. I know nobody is perfect--I am a good example of that. I am seeing how a Muslim or another group might not want to be portrayed. I was raised in an alcoholic home (no my dad wasn't a Christian) and my youth group kept me from going crazy. They showed love and stability when I needed it.
This is so ridiculous. This Raezler person says it's wrong that the shows portray Christians as judgmental, and in the next paragraph it says she is criticizing Oprah and Whoopi Goldberg for saying and doing things that go against her views, how is that not being judgmental !?!?

It's a fact that most Christians are judgmental, actually most PEOPLE are judgmental, period, but few others except Christians are judgmental enough to organize boycotts and stuff just to shut down what they judge "not proper".
I love Cold Case and Law and Order, but whenever they portray Christians, they turn out to be whackos or perverts. Thank God we live in a country where we can express our comments freely and peacefully protest things we don't agree with--like a youth group stoning someone? Come on...
It's a show about old murders.... It's not supposed to be family friendly. It depicts a wide array of people commiting crimes in various ways with various motives. If it was always the husband killing the wife after catching her in bed with the milkman no one would watch.

It's not like they only show Christian killers every week! Get a life! Better yet, just watch TVLand and stick to 50's tv shows.
If it's not anti-semitical, it's anti-christian, if it's not any of those, it's anti-..., well anti-something.

People you can't make everyone happy with TV, it's bound to offend someone sooner than later, it's just the way it is, so don't watch Tv or just change the channel.

As a sidethought I wonder why it's so bad to offend christians and jews but no at all questionable to offend muslims, how come???
i have never seen this show, but am a Christian. i read the article, and think i understand. I am annoyed when Christians are portrayed in the media as freaks or hypocrites. We aren't all that way, some of us are actually living what we believe. I can't think of an actual instance, since i have the tendency to ignore it, and just lose interest in such a bigotted show. i guess NEd Flanders from Simpsons is the best example to mind.He is NOT the spokesman of MY faith. But even the pastor of his church disowns him. I remember in the 80s when i did come to faith, everyone was hurling insults at ALL tv evangelists just because a few made some mistakes. all i could think then was "how foolish to condemn an entire population based on the actions of 1 or 2"
Any group that makes claims in their mission statement "assault of the liberal media" - needs to start watching some news.

To the Culture and Media Institute:
Seriously, just stick your heads back in the holes in the ground you just popped them out of.
Remember, when years ago firefighters community targeted "NYPD Blue", because in one episode, a firefighter is shown to steal from the victims? I laughed then, I laugh now.
*sigh*

It is fiction, people. It doesn't mean that, by portraying a selected group that belongs to a larger one as "evil", the rest of the group will be that way.

Come on, under these arguments, TV programs would live apologizing to every being under the sun.
not all christians are judgemental and what is good about what it says because it says that these so called christians don't practice what they preach. "a young woman with a promiscuous past joins a Christian-based abstinence group, only to discover that the members don't practice what they preach". if it never said that i would be disapointed because tv can influence people. im a christian thats why im saying this. Don't judge christians and or non christians. but again its a fiction show.
Years ago a famous artist referred to Tv as the vast wasteland. Today most of the people associated with Tv, especially the writers and directors, are just wasted.
Aren't most christians judgmental? A priest plessuring himself? OH NO this cant be! Please, in real life people are people and gonna do what people do. The world is evil and there's no point hiding it. It's just a show. Not saying those things cant happen, cuz I'm sure somewhere it is. And I agree with the last post, it sounds like they just want to change everything on tv to their believes. Judgmental? I think so.
So in other words, they want to change everything on tv to fit their views and beliefs. Its fiction.....a creative process. The world is much scarier. I guess if it were up to them there would be nothing but brady bunch re-runs.
Cold Case Rules!!!