Chuck: Captain Awesome's Big Break

Monday’s episode of Chuck was—no, I won't do it. Let's just say Captain Awesome was dropped into the middle of the action and it all turned out really, really... swell.

It was only a matter of time before his awesomeness Dr. Devon Woodcomb would try to get in on the spy action, right? Chuck’s brother-in-law is the only member of his family who knows our hero's big secret. He also has all the right spy stuff: He's sharp, motivated, and ridiculously good looking. When the premier of "Costa Gravas" barely survived an assassination attempt, he was rushed to Devon’s hospital—and the two worlds collided.

As a longtime fan of Captain Awesome, I was thrilled to see him channel his inner 007. I assumed he’d be a natural—I mean, is there anything the guy can’t do? (Case in point: During a press conference, he busted out fluent Spanish skills, complete with a “muy awesome.” Loved it.) And adrenaline-junkie Devon was so eager to start spying. I just really wanted things to go off without a hitch. Apparently I haven’t watched enough of this show to realize that never happens.

Let me back up a bit, because things were on the right track for a while. General Beckman assigned Chuck, Sarah, and Casey to protect the premier—awkward for Casey, who had spent years trying to kill him and still found the idea pretty darned appealing. But because Premier Goya was going to open up his country to democratic elections, even Casey (known to Costa Gravans as the Angel de la Muerte) was forced to join the protective detail. All Devon had to do was keep the premier alive by providing proper medical attention. Simple, right?

Unfortunately, Devon—ever the overachiever—tried to tackle a would-be assassin. But it was actually Casey, rocking the goofiest faux ’stache ever seen on television, and Casey was taken away by the Costa Gravan guards. Which meant bad news for our heroes even though it was nice to see someone other than Chuck screw up a mission.

Rescuing Casey was no easy task, as the CIA refused to threaten diplomatic relations by intervening. (Bureaucracy, I shake my fist at you!) Captain Awesome to the rescue—Devon was asked to return to the consulate after the premier was poisoned again by the real assassin, and granted Chuck and Sarah easy access as his fellow MD and nurse. So Awesome got his redemption, but in the end, it was once more up to Chuck to save the day. He had to remove a bullet from Casey’s leg to prove to the general's righthand man that he was a real doctor. Little bit of trouble in Plot Land at this point, even for this tongue-in-cheek show. (And I was already trying not to think about how the assassin, an Irish-looking dude, managed to infiltrate a squad of South American soldiers.)

If you guessed that Chuck flashed on a bullet retrieval procedure, you’d be right. The Intersect 2.0 is fast proving to be awfully convenient, to the extent that I’m already a bit wary. Sure, it’s cool to see Chuck display shiny new powers, but I don’t want every episode to rest on a tired deus ex machina.

But there are still some things Chuck’s magic brain can’t fix. His relationship with Sarah, for example—would someone get these two some couples therapy? And the episode's end took a surprisingly dark turn in tone (were we still watching the same show?), with the assassin (working for the mysterious "Ring" organization) returning to the hospital for Devon. Is he kidnapped? Dead? Or—dare I say it—somehow less than awesome? We had all of 22 seconds to worry until next week's preview came on like one big buzz kill.

Follow TV.com writer Louis Peitzman on Twitter: @LouisAtTVDotCom

all i can say, he really is awesome. and very hot :)
i thought that episode was awesome with captain awesome
I have to say that I was relieved when the preview for next week came on TV. Sure, it would have been really cool if they hadn't spoiled us but, chances were I probably would have looked it up online! lol

As much as I ADORE Awesome(!) I don't think that he should get into the spy business. Spying is Chuck's thing and it always will be. To have ANOTHER person show him up would be disappointing. Unless, the writers have Chuck actually being good at it... hmm, that IS a good possibility. Besides, the whole 'getting kidnapped' bit is probably going to kill Awesome's search for excitement for awhile. I do like the fact that Awesome knows that Chuck is a spy... it makes Chuck's disappearances A LOT easier!! I'm SO happy this show is back!!!!
the start has been very good!
I am so glad that they spoiled Capt. Awesome's living. That 22 seconds was too much for me, I think my heart stopped for 22 seconds seriously. I hope he doesn't die in the next episode.
Yikes! I watched it OnDemand this morning with no previews to next week. Must say am relieved to know Awesome is alive, so I think heck yeah add him to the crime stopping mix!!
Honestly, I'm glad the preview of next week showed Devon is still alive. I think my heart stopped for a second at the end. I thought for sure he was dead and that would NOT be awesome. I can't think of a single member of this cast that I could do without. It was ok for Emmit to go (which was a little dark imho), but Chuck wouldn't be Chuck without all of these great characters!
I think Devon should remain a civilian and leave the spy biz to Chuck and the gang. I have read that both Sarah and chuck will have other romantic interests this season and I was not happy aobut that. I understand that it would be hard for them to have a full-on romantic relationship but come on. If they love each other how can they be with other people? The only good thing about this is the return of Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang) from Smallville. I really like her and have missed her on tv.
I know it was a bit of a buzz kill but this is one of the times I was glad for it. I don't know if I could have handled a week of wondering if Awesome was dead or not. :P
Chuck said he had never ever did it with Sarah. Hmm I thought he did somewhere last season when we saw this 'hot-passionate' scene :P

But if he can't remember that they should definately do it, it get's more complicated every time. I mean the first episode after not seeing her for months he saw her and the first she said was kiss me. pfff that's hard for a guy. But a spy is a spy, and a spy shouldn't fall in love with someone ;)
I don't really want him to become a spy - I want him to be the guy that the spies have to call on occasionally. Besides, if Awesome becomes a spy, someone will have to tell Chuck's sister, and part of the charm of the show is watching everyone tapdance around her, and her thinking she's got a read on the whole thing. Keep Awesome in his medical scrubs, but give him an opportunity every once in awhile to kick a little bad-guy butt.
Judging by the photo up top with new cast member Brandon Routh, clearly Devon will have some connection to the spy business.
It would be great if Captain Awsome remained a civilian and helped when needed. A fun twist would be that he's awsome with everything he does EXCEPT for helping Team Chuck.

I would also love to see what would happen if Devon was hit with a "Ring" version of the Intersect, which causes him to become a super-spy, but for the wrong side...
Why does NBC suck so much at promos? Do they not realize that the writers want us to wonder about Awesome's fate? They did the same thing in a Heroes episode where Matt gets shot a bunch of times at the end of the episode, only to ruin it by showing scenes in the promo of him alive in next week's episode. Really, get a freakin' clue NBC.
I hope he remains a civilian, but definitely want to see more Awesome!
guess I glad I got it online so I didn't see the preview for next week and get to wonder for more then 22 seconds.
I always new some one from the Bartowski family would end up dead by some case of mistaken identity. Finally it happened. Bud by killing off Devon the normal "link" between the spy world and his normal life could be a complete mes up from now on. So for Chuck I hope some new friend would be able to know about his missions and could offer convert to him. It would be probably be Morgan or his sister. On the other hand i must say it was a couple of hecyic days arround Chuck. Evenrybody was talking about it for weeks now. And I'm still waiting for a big change for Chuck. Bud in mine own Opinion, I don't see the story twisters I wished there would be. And am afraid the writers are picking up the pieces where they left them the end of season 2. And I'm sorry to say, that was not how I would have done the new season. The end of Season 2 was so good that the possibility for a complete new Chuck was created. Bud now even though the writers are trying to pick up the show to a new dimension, they are still not changing the big problem. MAKE CHUCK A COOL GUY and stop making him a passive spy how's afraid to shoot a gun. After two seasons of absolute Nurdyniss. (what I loved about Chuck) must now come to an end. It'd time to make Chuck a descend Spy. And on the keynote, where is Orion. Wasn't he free to help Chuck and so on?.
No joke - It seriously made me very sad that Devon died..like as if it was some real living person in my own life that suddenly got taken from me..
Yeah, the preview did sort of ruin any kind of suspense. But I would like to see Awesome occasionally involved rather than full on or never. He could be the team doctor for instance. Chuck's brain can only do so much before it glitches.
Those NBC promo monkeys are eviiiil. Way to ruin the "cliffhanger" within 30-ish seconds.
awesome should stay as just awesome. his character is already pretty stacked and if the guy does serious spy work, the show would start to be called The Adventures of Dr. Captain Awesome and Chuck.

I do like the aspect of someone covering for Chuck as a Spy while Ellie thinks shes covering up for Chuck as human being. Captain Awesome can never leave the show and thats that.
I would like captain awesome to be a help spy every now and than. Every 4 episodes, anything besides that would ruin chuck, and chuck owuld not be series about chuck but series about awesome. He already is awesome, this is a story about nerdy guy who developes into a hero. A story that every not so awesome guy can sink in.
I was shocked, don't get me wrong...I love this show...but the ending...I hope Captain Awesome is going to be ok. I think so after reading next week's episode summary. Awesome should stay a civillian, because who's gonna cover Chuck with Ellie and it would be so sad for her, because she's the only one of the family who's out of the loop.
wow i like his new powers, but i didnt think last nights episode was the best of the season unlike every1 else cuz the episode score is a 9.7, i wud say its more of 9.2
man i loved the first episodes of chuck this season! i cant wait till next week :D
oh thank god he's still alive. i only just watched the preivew after reading this thnx for the info. at the end of the ep i was like nooo not him why kill one of the good characters you already killed one good and one bad one this season stop killing already.
My guess is they assumed he was a mercenary or immigrant. I already knew Devon was in 3x04 so I knew he wasn't dead. What I loved best about this episode is seeing the more confident, professional Chuck. He's been at this long enough that we SHOULD be seeing less of amateur tripping-over-his-feet Chuck. Maybe he's not going to go all hardcore Bryce Larkin any time soon, but I prefer this Chuck at this point in the series. It was especially refreshing seeing that in the past three episodes Chuck is being treated more like an EQUAL of Casey and Sarah than their asset.

I also loved the counterpoint between Chuck and Awesome. Awesome is basically going through the same situation that Chuck was in Season 1. The difference is that while Chuck was dragged into it completely against his will, Devon was initially enthusiastic and ready to jump in, only learning later how dangerous and "not awesome" Chuck's work really is.
That's exactly what my husband said... how did that Irish guy get in there?! I was just too caught up in it all to notice, I guess. That ending totally flipped me out. The preview ruined it. Lame. I'm not into Captain Awesome being a spy. I think he steals a little of Chuck's thunder.
What did you think of the episode? Should Captain Awesome remain a civilian, or would you like to see him spy up? Well did he show up in his tight bicycle shorts?
Only means he needs more space... Get of his back