Cinemax Renews Banshee for Season 2

Cinemax is continuing its push to become Cinemaction, focusing its original programming efforts on high-octane, summer-thrill-ride, and other action-movie-cliché-style series. Today the network renewed its newest program Banshee for a second season, set to debut in 2014.

Banshee, produced by True Blood's Alan Ball, stars Anthony Starr as a man freshly out of prison who goes in search of his old ladyfriend in rural Pennsylvania. Along the way, he hijacks the position of town sheriff in a place called Banshee, butts heads with the local Amish mafia, and gets help from mohawked, transgender Asian criminals. Drugs may have been involved in the making of this.

I gave the series a shot and couldn't really get into it, deeming it inferior to Cinemax's other recent shows Strike Back and Hunted, but Banshee is still very young (it's on Episode 3) and could iron everything out. Or it could just continue to be rather stunted and weird. It's kind of like if Steven Soderbergh, David Lynch, and Quentin Tarantino had a baby and that baby went to first-year film school and made a TV show.

Have you been watching Banshee? What do you think so far?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Love, love, love this show! It's the best thing I have seen in ages, it grabbed me from the start. Brilliant characters, Anthony Starr is wonderful in this role.
This series is amazing full of action, But if there any down side, stop with the 42 min show give us the full 58-60min, either way I there
This show is fantastic! Keeps me utterly enthralled and entertained every week. And jeez, Kiwis, where have you been hiding Antony Starr all this time? Terrific and very easy on the eyes actor!
This show is so intense! It rocks! C´mon Tim, you like character development as you wrote for The Walking Dead Episode "Clear". In Banshee, you really can see how the characters change through the different episodes.
And it´s one Ex-Amish turned Mafia-Boss, not "the Amish Mafia". Do it right, Tim.
It´s been a long time since I experienced such tension in a series.
This rocks!
Banshee is Awesome! My husband and I LOVE this show and after each episode, our jaws are left wide open! It has everything: sex, nudity, action, death, good, evil, lies, and deceit and let's not forget the innocent (the Amish community and Gordon). Each episode has a great beginning and an awesome ending. Yet, we are excited about next week's episode! Anthony Starr is a master (are you sure he's not an ex-con in real life?). Congratulations to the director and writers of this show.
And Surette, give it a rest dude...how, as tv fanatic male, could you not get into this?? Baffles me...
Excellent news!
This is THE best new show this year! It's just brilliant!
I've been watching it, and really enjoying it. It's not really a thinking man's show like Hunted, but its Alan Ball here. It's sex, drugs and blood. It's practically True Blood minus the supernatural, and minus some of the cheese factor, but at the end of the day, its a blast. I'm glad to hear it got renewed.
It is a decent show so far, wouldn't give it glowing reviews. For the guys though Lili SImmons(I believe that is her name) is a bonus. Smokin hot amish slut character.
While Banshee isn't even in the same league as Hunted, it has been growing on me. I like the "Dutchie" criminal element, quite novel, and the music has improved from the pilot (though the music staff need to be made to sit down and watch POI and Suits to see how truly excellent music/sound editing can be done HINT: try ditching the industrial band and hiring a DJ). However , I would not state what has thus far been delivered merits a season re-up; utterly premature IMO.
Tried the pilot very boring!!!
Personally I enjoyed the pilot and ep 3 more than the second ep, but that's just me. And scrap the other two, just give Lynch another tv show - I guess it would have to be put on hold until Enlightened finishes though, not that it is likely anyway :-(
But, they finally got one right...I knew Alan Ball wouldn't do any crap...
I was scared to give it a chance, considering the other complete disapointments from the network: Transporter and Strikeback (well, what it became, the first season (the one with Andrew Lincoln was actually pretty good) and then they just changed it and completely butchered it...)
Yes, the premiere was a bit off, but overall a pretty awesome show! Epispode 3 was freaking sweet. I agree with Stratten, getting better and better, and yes, could use more violence, but as for the sex...I've never seen a show before where the main character gets laid every single episode, literally, 3/3. What a boss. Wonder if the trend will continue...
how come no one is comparing it to Transporter? Is that show any good or have I got the wrong network?
It's getting better and better. All it needs is more sex and violence.
tell us how you really feel ("All it needs is more sex and violence")

;-)
I already like the show the way it is but there is always room for improvement.
Not that this matters, but I like this article better then the review:) I'm fine with someone disliking a show and I think this article was more balanced--at least you showed some slight hope (saying the show is still young) but I think if you didn't like the 1st 3 episodes then maybe it's not for you. However I am often wrong (lol) and you may end up a fan.

I personally like Banshee and Strike Back (especially season 1 done by the bbc but liked all season of it) more then Hunted (also like that show). But they are so different from each other it is hard to compare them.

LOL--> "It's kind of like if Steven Soderbergh, David Lynch, and Quentin Tarantino had a baby"
hopefully not to much of Lynch (sorry to all Lynch fans I offended) because I want the show to make sense (some of his stuff made sense to me but some didn't)

"Drugs may have been involved in the making of this"--duh, it's Hollywood California. Of course drugs were involved! They were probably legally obtained:)
Wow - now I really think Tim didn't watch more than the pilot. Why? Because it already did iron everything out ...
I already like a lot, but especially the relationship between Hood and Sugar.
Yay!
"Good news, everyone" -Zoidberg
Banshee is cool, i like it!!! Shows take time to develop, but everone now wants a megahit from ep 1
I'm loving this show so far.
Tim, got to say that Banshee in not bad. Not after 3 shows and after learning some of the background between Rabbit and Carrie/Anna, I find it becoming more intriguing. And the computer hacker mobster transgendered bombmaking sassy hairdresser is growing on me little bits at a time. (Girl, go get pregnant!)
No way is this inferior to Hunted. While that show is solid, it doesn't have the pace or "FRIDAY FACTOR" represented by Banshee.

And Strike Back is light years ahead of both of them. MAX makes no apologies for what it is, so you know what you're going to get when you tune in.

If gratuitous sex, gore, and violence is not for you, you're on the wrong channel.
Inferior to Hunted?! This was a joke, right? I haven't seen Strike Back, but everyone says that it doesn't have a story, so how could Banshee possibly be inferior?
A day before the premiere, I saw the promos & didn't find the premise all that interesting, but I took the time to check it out just for the hell of it & by the time they got to the first bar fight, I understood EXACTLY what the show was at the root and I've really, really loved it (warts & all) ever since.
Another thing, Tim. In your Should I Watch It article (it was yours, wasn't it?) you said the pilot didn't make you care about the characters. Well, I did care after the pilot and the 2nd and 3rd episodes only improved on that. When I saw the initial scene between Hood and his ex, I thought: here's another love triangle. But there isn't. The relationship between Hood and Carrie/Anna is much more complicated than it seems after the pilot and I'm loving that particular tension.
Plus, OMG!, the transvestite mobster (or is he just a hacked with minions?)! He's coold, he's awesome and I want MORE of him!
And Proctor isn't just your generic Mafioso either. And his relationship with Hood is developing in very interesting ways. I'm expecting that by the end of it, they're gonna be some sort of frenemies. :D
LOVED when Job (mobster) was hollering at teen-Snooki.
that was awesome:)
Kai (proctor) seems to admire or respect Lucus (hood).
maybe a triangle maybe not--you're right about it being much more complicated.
Love the Asian mobster:)
I liked the show from the beginning and it's just getting better and better
I really like this series. I can't believe the MMA style fight didn't make it to the FTW list! So far I've loved all three episodes and it has so much potential--so many angles. I look forward to when (if) Kai finds out about his niece...also the Asian guy is a fascinating character. I actually like all the characters so far. Great start to a series and I look forward to the progression of the show and learning more of the backstories of the characters.
I love Banshee..the pilot was okay..but as they say, its get better
and it did!.so to this news, yay!!!
Go watch lena dunham showing her beauty in that fancy show of hers Tim. Banshee is not for you.
I wouldn't say Banshee is great but the show has been getting better, and I still find the story appealing. The acting could still some work, there's still a ton of room for better writing, and the sex scenes aren't done as sexilly as I'd like (hehe), but I'll certainly continue to watch. I'm not sure yet if I've been enjoying it more than Hunted.
I'm not exactly sure the two can be compared in this way. They're both more or less action, but Hunted is a spy show (Banshee isn't), it's British (again, Banshee is very American) and it has a largely different climate and atmosphere. Just 'cause people are shooting guns in both shows (which, in Banshee they don't do that all that much, actually) and fighting, doesn't mean the they're alike.
Oh, I know that they're not very alike. In my one sentence about them, I wasn't comparing Banshee and Hunted's likeness to each other, I was comparing how much I like them. The biggest reason I'm probably not sure yet which I've been enjoying more is because they're quite different from one another. The only reason I brought it up is because in the article, Tim states that he finds Banshee inferior to Cinemax's other shows, Strike Back and Hunted.
"I gave the series a shot"

No you didn't, watching one or two episodes is not giving a series a shot.
haha, but in all honesty, if Tim didn't enjoy ep 3 then it really isn't his show.
Banshee is awesome. its like Justified without the limits. Not that theres many limits on Justified, but with this premise the 'sheriff' can pretty much do what he wants. And the fight scene in episode 3 is one of the best 1 on 1 fights in the history of television, unless theres something on Spartacus or Rome that I am forgetting.
Agree, great episode and a fantastic fight, loved the sneaky moves to win the fight such as the elbow to block/break the hand followed by the finger and arm snapping, lovely stuff :)
Glad to see a martial arts / guns type show with the occasional comedy. "Shoo! Go get pregnant!"
Yeah, and the parts when he flashed back to some beating he had gotten in prison? Very PTSD.
Banshee is great. Ludicrous ideas but somehow it works. I'm totally engrossed in the characters and situation. The Amish link is very entertaining although I'm not sure they'd approve if they could watch it!. The series seems very open-ended and into so many different pies at once. I live in the UK where it isn't shown at the moment and have recommended to friends who've also enjoyed it, great to hear it's been renewed after my recent favourites Awake and Last Resort got unceremoniously canned.
I'm enjoying this show. I'm not sure why, I tried to describe to my friends what it was about the other day, and even I thought it sounded ridiculous. But I'm very much enjoying it so far...
I'm with Tim, I couldn't get past the pilot.
Well, I hated the pilot, it was all over the place, not focused, pretty hollow. I watched second episode due to extreme boredom, but, I was glad I did it because it was miles ahead of the pilot. The third episode sealed the deal. The last fifteen minutes I was standing on my feet while watching it!
You're seriously tempting me to try episode 2.
Go for it!
I've enjoyed the show (Banshee) so far. It is definitely a bit quirky and very rough around the edges but as a newbie show I didn't expect that much anyway.
This is a kind of show that people who enjoy shitty action movies will like. It's largely unrealistic and pretty shallow (not much character) but still fun to watch.
Question : Cinemax is HBO right ?
I like this show. Shakespeare it is not, but it is entertaining. As for Strikeback, that is not a Cinemax original show. It had previous seasons in the UK (where it was not so watered down).
Yeah, and Hunted is, originally, a UK show, too. BBC?
Sometimes is what we need some entertaining tv.
Tim, as a fan of 'The Wire' you should be watching Banshee because it has "White Brother Mouzone" on it.
I'm liking Banshee more and more with every episode, but there's one thing that's bugging me. How on Earth are they gonna keep Hood in the sheriff's chair. After he went all banzai on that MMA champion and beat the man within an inch of his life? Or, perhaps, killed him? I'm still unclear on that point. o0
I wholeheartedly agree with the last sentence of your article, Tim, but the show's also a really thrilling ride so far. Go back to it, roll with it and come out dizzy. :D
any lawyers out there? would the crowd be accessories since they didn't intervene? if not then what about the other law enforcement officers?

The MMA fighter was agreeable to the fight and people get injured in fights. What about when Lucas was pushed off the elevated "mat". He could of broke his neck and a high cervical lesion could of killed him. Both fighters fought dirty. One was a professional and one was a "police officer/sheriff"...Sure Lucas initiated it but the other implied consent to fighting him. Both fought dirty at times.

In real life I assume there would be an investigation then depending on what the "higher ups" want and depending on media and public opinion then and outcome would be determined....

I'm not sure the real life legality of it but thought it was excellent for character development. Lucas didn't just beat him up without an effort and without harm to himself. He demonstrated what he verbalized to his "depute" (not sure the term for a sheriff underling)~~he's a different kind of "sheriff". He isn't a real sheriff and took the law into his own hands without knowing the law---makes sense. He was expressing his emotions and made him likeable for getting mad about a rape and beating of a woman. Heroic of him but probably not legal. I like Lucas
More +
And I agree with your statement about Hood's emotions at that fight. I also liked the way he handled the girl in the hospital and how pissed of he got. It was one of those short scarce moments when a kinder side of Hoods comes out. Which is what keeps Hood likeable.
Yeah, I was referring to the moment, when the MMA guy was on his back and (almost?) unconscious and Hood sat on his chest started pounding on his face. That was assault (read: taking things waay too far) if I ever saw one.
Yeah, pounding on an unconscious guy is wrong (the back of my mind keeps say but it depends on the context) but, as a female I'm ok with the rapist & assaulter getting pounded~~at least he wasn't raped. I do agree that it was illegal (taking the law into your own hands; judge/jury/executioner but he was acting on emotions~adrenaline from the fight and upset about what happened to the woman).

Wrong legally but likeable to me:) Justified assault (I'm internally conflicted on some of it) in my eyes but I'm sure the mma fighter's lawyers would argue the rape/assault were due to drugs (still not a excuse and it sounded like the MMA guy had done this before--predator--and just paid off the women--I don't like that but I've never had to testify about being raped so maybe they had their reasons for accepting a pay off).

I do agree it was illegal from the little I know of law (thank you law and order...lol) but I understand Hood's motivations and can see how he went to far. Not right according to the law and probably the masses but I don't hold it against him
Yes, well, I'm not judging this on moral grounds. I'm just saying that there's only so much the powers that be can let slide before doing something about it. Since the pilot episode Hood has broken scores of rules of procedure and I'm not sure how long they (the writers that is) can keep up the charade, if the guy keeps going like this.
I agree. But we have to admit that fight scene was so awesome. One of the best ever on TV, well the best 1 on1 that i can remember.
Yes, it was badass, although I was a little bit disappointed, too. Hood just seemed so BAMF, I thought he'd drop the MMA guy with, like, one blow or something. Despite that, though, I'm actually glad it didn't happen this way. It shows that the main character (I wouldn't call him a hero exactly) is still human and can be taken down. Or, at least, get really roughed up.
Admittedly, I did close my eyes a couple of times during that fight! And I loved every second of it.
Jack Bauer has a really good fight in the LA Coliseum at the end of season 2 (I think?) of 24 :)
Episode three was the best episode of the series thus far - it had one of the best one-on-one fight scenes on television of the season. We are starting to find out more about Lucas and also now Proctor who is becoming more of a fascinating villian. This is very good news as this show is just getting better each week. Best thing about the whole series is Ivana Milicevik's "Carrie" she is playing the most difficult role on this show as the mayor's wife-former lover/partner of Lucas and she is doing so very very well.

Give it another chance, watch episode 3, and see if you change your mind. I think it is much better than "Hunted". This strange backwoods Pennsylvania town is an interesting setting and this cast is very good. (I think this show is also better (casting again) than the show Ball left.)
Isn't she married to the DA whereas the mayor is the young guy? Regardless, he seems like such a nice guy but I can't decide who I want her with...lol. I can't escape love triangles:)

I like Hunted but I like this show a lot more.

I mentioned on the FTW vs WTF list that the MMA style fight from Banshee should of been on the FTW list. I like how Lucus didn't just easily beat up the other guy but took a lot of punishment then fought back "dirty" to survive/win...that's how you do it! I had to re-watch the blow to the elbow...didn't know it would mess up the hitter's arm to hit an elbow...I'm not a fighter but I found it to be well choreographed and it seemed realistic (though I doubt the legality of it~regardless, the fighter got what he deserved even if prohibits a court case for rape (I think). Police brutality at its finest...lol, love it:)
it's fiction folks
Whoops, the wealth should have tipped me off that that she was married to the DA. That makes much mores sense, thanks. I forgot they introduced a young guy as the mayor.

There's a lot to like about "Hunted" but this show just seemed to get going a little quicker.
Agree, when Sanchez had him in the triangle lock, I screamed "bite him" at the TV since as a MMA fan I know that move is hard to break free from.