Commander In Chief sent packing

Just like the real US President, TV's Commander In Chief is suffering from term-low approval ratings.

But unlike George W. Bush, fictional female president Mackenzie Allen--played by Geena Davis--is out of a job, as ABC said today it is pulling the drama from the schedule. The network will replace the show with the tabloid news show Primetime for the all-important sweeps period.

ABC had hoped star power--Davis and Donald Sutherland top-line the cast--would help Chief become a hit on the recently resurgent network's roster, alongside Lost and Desperate Housewives. Chief took office in September to solid if unspectacular ratings and generally good reviews.

Trouble began when show creator Rod Lurie missed script deadlines and caused production delays. The network took the show off the air to retool it, replacing Lurie with veteran show-runner Stephen Bochco of Hill Street Blues fame. When the show was taken off the air a second time for retooling, Bochco left, and the reins were handed over to Dee Johnson, one of the original executive producers.

Since Chief returned to the schedule it has been suffering at the hands of ER and Without a Trace. Last week's episode drew the series' smallest audience yet, 6.5 million viewers.

ABC's decision to take the show off during sweeps bodes poorly for its chances of reelection next season.

Attention: ALL Commander in Chief fans, I suggest we run a signature campaign to bring the back the series and work together to see our series back in the tube. ABC must realize this is a better educational show compared to the other shows they produce and air.
please bring the show back. the show has a lot of supporters outside the mainland US and it is so disappointing not to see the series end. we are anticipating the showdown between allen and templeton for the seat of the most powerful man/woman in the universe.
bring it back please...it's one great show!!!it's rather disappointing that they pulled it off without finishing the season...
it deserves to be back on air!!!until now, a lot of people are till waiting for its return to the boob tube..
I thought this was just going to be the end of the season on the last episode I seen, until I came here and seen that it won't be back. I am very disappointed because that was a very good show. I don't care for reality shows and it seems that those are the only shows on any more. I guess I'll be watching more DVD's or hope that ABC will restart it.
I can't believe that Commander in Chief leaves the network without an end. I followed the season with a lot of interest and now I feel frutrated and disspointed due to ABC's decision. I felt it was very well produced, with outstanding casting and the rols seemed very human and realistic. Hope the Producers and the Network come to a better understanding and surprise the audience with new chapters and the seasons continue.

From Mexico, we believe we deserve to see more!
this is wrong,,this show won awards,,,i sat around WAITING for it to come back,,,i am beginning to understand why Network tv is failing to cable,,at least they are dependable,,the good shows last a while,,,most of the networks have cancelled all the good shows and left us with a bunch of REALITY CRAP,,,if i want reality i will open my window and watch people on the street,,,i want entertainment bite me ABC you continually let me down,,,maybe you will be going the way of the WB,,,and trust me you will deserve it!
I can't believe they cancelled commander if chief.....I guess that is what fear does to MAN! I will rate this channel a big fat 0. the show was fabulous
I didn't see the show while it was airing due to the fact that I hardly ever watch TV, however, did rent the DVD and now I'm hooked and realize that ABC made a serious error in booting this show. They had a lot of issues to contend with, but should've sorted them out and brought the show back for a second season to give it a chance.. there have been many shows that really didn't do so well in their first season, but that soared from their second season on! Come on ABC or even another network, pick this up and start showing early next year a la 24.
People should show their disgust with ABC for their very poor decision. The show was soaring in the ratings and only began to fall short when ABC try to move it to compete with CBS in the Thursday night market. Sign a petition and bring this show back to the air for young women to have the rare opportunity of a positive role model! http://www.freshdames.net/petition/
I couldn't wait to see the next episode. Too bad they cancelled it. Maybe another network will pick it up.
loved the show,, ABC MESSED UP,, moving it around,, one night then another, skipping weeks, the on another night different time,, what happened did the real politicians get to ABC ? i sure hope another network picks this great show up.. for one i am tired of all the "next star" stuff..i for one don't see any shows on abc that i will be watching... this is one big mistake for ABC..and for you that remember JAG was to close to the real stuff going on ... what happened .. canceled too.. boy these tv guys must be really scared of the politicians..
I for one waited months for this show to come on the air and when it finally did I was not disappointed. Don't blame the show for poor ratings, blame the network. I first started watching it on Tues. then the next thing I know it changed days...twice. Think about how hard it is for people who loved the show to keep track of it like this let alone people who have never watched it. Taking this show off the air will be one of the biggest mistakes that ABC could make. Give it one more chance and make sure that it has a solid place on time and day and they will see why this show was such a big hit in the beginning. We need to get this country used to seeing a woman president. If ABC keeps CIC on air they could possibly help in making this country look at women with more respect.
This is one of the biggest mistakes that ABC could make. Maybe ABC should try and give the show a stable schedule to follow and see that the ratings will definitely be steady and good.
Cannot believe ABC blamed the show for poor ratings when in fact they screwed it up by moving it from week to week, skipping weeks and very little promotion.

In fact this was a breath of fresh air with showing the workings of politicians some with purpose and others with political agendas.

Great work by Avis and Sutherland.

ABC PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASED wake up and give this show a real chance. You had/have a big winner here.
I loved this show, hope the networks will reconsider and bring it back. Is there away to tell them we want it back?
Why do they cancel all the good shows and the bad ones on? I really hope this show comes back.
I for one loved this series and am fighting to get it put back on. We the viewer should be punished for ABC's Incompetence in finding some to lead this show into greatness along with Lost, Greys Anatomy and Desperate House Wives. The other reasons the show failed was because they changed the damn air times it went form Tues. to Thurs. Then to Wed., they didnt keep it consistant so viewers would set their viewing schedule up for one day and be disappointed only to find out its was another day and already have missed it. I ask that any and all of you that liked, loved CIC or just want to stick it to ABC, to write in and flood their email boxes with complaints and "SUGGESTIONS" to bring back CIC or to sell to another Network that will APPRECIATE the Potential and Quality of the show. I understand the whole world may not like the show but for the ones who do plz give me a hand in standing up to the networks who senselessly cancel good/great shows.
THIS IS THE WORSE THING EVER!!!!!! it's a quality and great show. It shows how women power works! I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S CANCELLED!!!!
I HATE THISSS!!!!!! =(
I can't understand why a network would take a really good show like this off the air instead of moving it to another time slot. Come on now, against ER. Not much of anything would survive against ER. They have done it before with a totally stupid show, Designing Women. Every time you turned around, this show was moved to a new slot until they finally found a time slot with an audience. Please do this with Commander In Chief. Find another time slot.
It's ashame that the show's creator is the reason behind the show's cancelation of Commander in Chief. I was so frustrated waitng ans waitng for the next episode. When it finally came back I TiVo'd all the episodes which I'm sure I will watch over and over.
This show was very well written, I felt like Mac took charge of the country with a power that made me feel I was living in their world. I felt like I wanted to post "MAC For President" all over the place. I wish ABC would reconsider and give this show a chance that it deserves to flourish. Put it on the air and make sure the creator stays on task and completes the scripts on time so that we are not left wondering what happened. Commander in Chief is the best show I have seen in a long time! PLEASE BRING IT BACK! If not put the 1st season on DVD so I can own all the episodes!
THIS SOUNDS LIKE RIGHT WING CONTROL OF THE TV MEDIA . THEY CAN'T STAND SEEING A WOMAN AS PRESIDENT OF THE USA TELL THE RIGHT WING TO KEEP THEIR TALONS OFF AMERICAN'S TV
Please make this work. I absolutely love this show and I want to see more of it. Buffy never had the most viewers and it went on for seven years. So please please don't screw this up. This could be a Show generations will speak of if done correctly.
I love this show!!! The only problem is that is was interrupted with the Olympics, and other shows. It started strong, but, before I knew it
there were reruns, and delayed shows.
It is a fabulous show, and I hope to see it again soon.
Gena Davis plays a great Commander in Chief--better than some we know!
are you kidding? like the promos said this was the best new show that came out last fall. if they would get their act together and get a new writer, keep it on a consistent night, we the fans may want to watch it some more. i am working evening but i always tape it and watch it in the middle of the nght. my hats off to geena davis for making a memorable season and too bad abc does not see it that way.
This is a great show. This is typical hollywood. The people behind the scenes ruined this show by their tinkering and infighting. I wonder how many other shows are cancelled because of this reason.
I can't believe they couldn't keep this show going. I love watching Gena Davis kick ass!
I really, REALLY loved "Commander In Chief" --- if there is ANYTHING at ALL possible that we, the public, can do to convince the network, or whoever else will listen, to give the show another try --->>PLEASE let me know!!! I have never written in about a show before -- but I could not stay silent on this one. The show was Brilliant! Fresh! Promising! Please don't let it get away forever -- Geena Davis was extremely convincing as President -- a most Wonderful wish of change in the years to come (...eventually....don't panic men! ... it will probably take a while...) Oy.......
Thanks for listening.......and PLEASE --- reconsider!!!!!
Sincerely,
Wendy Haddock
Vancouver, Canada
(born in Longview, Washington)
It's really a shame when quality programing can't be allowed to build an audience. We are subjected to such awful stuff most of the time. This is very disappointing, especially since the network is somewhat responsible for it's failure. I never knew when or if it was going to be on and then it changed, but then seemed to get back on track. It really tests my loyalty to ABC, I would boycott them if it wasn't for Boston Legal and Desperate Housewives.
THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!! WE HAVE NOT MISSED ONE SHOW. WE KEEP SEEING PREVIEWS OF SHOWS TO COME BUT NO SHOW AT ALL. COULD YOU AT LEAST LET IT FINISHE OUT THE SEASON, AND THEN FADE INTO THE SUNSET? I HAVE UN-ANSWERED QUESTIONS.

THANKS,
ZEPAT1
Come on, really ABC, you are taking away one of the most promising dramas introduced this past season and keeping "What About Bryan?" ABC, you guys really need to stop, not to mention keeping really lame shows on the air that you are renewed.
Commander in Chief had a wonderful cast of actors, and even despite the changing nights and hiatus, my husband and I never missed a show, always looking forward to the next episodes, even if we had to search online to find the next new episode.
Yet again, another show where I will have no closure (i.e. freaks and geeks, firefly, etc.)
I find this show very interesting. It is/was the only show that I look forward to watching. I was a bit disappointed at what I can only describe is a choppy production, but the story-lines and characters are so engrossing. Geena Davis is great and the coup de grace is the bad guy, Donald Sutherland! I'm hoping that ABC realizes that they are committing a Cagney and Lacey-esque mistake by pulling Commander in Chief.

But it is a ratings game pure and simple. A stable production and time slot will fix this issue. As viewers we are typically not patient for long breaks in the Fall nor in rotating time slots. Please ABC you have a great concept and a great cast; it is obvious you did your homework on this one just bring some stability and the ratings will come.

Believe me, if you got someone like me to get on the internet to find out what happened, then you have a loyal fan base…we’re just a bit disoriented…nail it down, re-advertise the final time slot and stick to the tried-and-true productions schedules, and see the ratings return.
My hubby and I have been looking for this show in the last couple of weeks and wondered why Prime Time had replaced it's "death's door" time slot. When I heard it was coming back opposite ER and Withoug a Trace, I knew that the powers that be were looking for an excuse to kill the show. This is one of the better primetime shows on abc. Put it back on Tuesday nights and the ratings will return, duh . . .
I believe the cancelation of this show is a big mistake. We, her in florida, love the show. I believe that one big mistake was that she was just getting started with the Olimpics started and she was taken off for several weeks. Then when she returned there was no fan fair to announce her return. There was not a show that updated those that had been watching or a show to get newbie upto date on what was going on and who who was. Big mistake. I also blame the writing cast. They did not do a good job at all. Go after west wings writing cast then restart the show next season and give her a fair chance. She had several obsticles that took the show off the air, how can you compete with that. Maybe moving her to Saturday night when there is really nothing on to watch, nothing. Also kill off Donald Sutherlands chart. he is just to much how can anyone work with that going on. Does GW have someone like that biting on his heels? Come on give the first lady president a fair chance. We need a lady president.... Come on President Allen fight for US. We are fighting for you....
RNs of Florida
****** to ABC. Primetime indeed ! what a joke !
the show "Commander in Chief" was one of the best shows to have come along in a long long time. I think the low ratings are due to ABC putting it against ER, come on, why didn't you just leave it alone on Tues at 10:00 or Friday or Monday, cause there's nothing to compete with it on those days.
Personally I feel this country is not really open-minded about having a female president. Poor Hiliary she wouldn't stand a chance of running in 2008. I think it was a *** good show ! Long live Geena Davis, what a great actress she is, and with Donald Sutherland, wow what a great team you had, It would be great if some cable network could pick this show up, retool it again, with some people who really can write, and with some uncensoring comments, could be as good as the sopranos !
I hope they at least run the already filmed episodes over the summer instead of reruns of the shows I didn't want to watch the first time. How sad is it that John belusji's no talent brother has a bigger audience than this wonderful show?
They probably should have waited until West Wing went off, so that it would be filling a vacuum.

I thought that this show had potential, but I also think that they tried too much character development too quickly. For example, that they had to pick a Vice President, and he so soon resigned due to familial obligation. He should have been around for a season or two before this happened.
My wife and I are very upset with ABC for what we feel is unfair treatment of the show. Certainly none of the replacements have been any good, so it's not like there is a really "hot" property waiting in the wings.

My theory is the suits got nervous airing a show with a competent, powerful female lead character in a realistic situation. Witches, vampire-killers, secret agents and women who see ghosts are safe, but smart, effective political leaders are not.

Hey, we need more ethnic sit-coms, games shows, and news magazines, don't we? How about another reality show, court-room drama, crime-scene investigation, or talent search show? Why take a chance on a family-oriented, thought-provoking show with a timely premise?
Good show. Bad management. What a waste...
I can't believe that you are cancelling this show. My Husband & I watched it every week that it was on. Not only did we enjoy it, we learned from it. It was one program that actually offered education as to what goes on in the White House. Please reconsider cancelling this show - it is so much better than all the reality shows that are on tv. I hope that you find a way to bring it back. We were upset when the show took the first break because there was no way of knowing that it was on the break. We watched the show one week, saw the previews for the following week and went to watch it to find it was not on. How disappointing. Again, this time we were not told that the show was taking a break, we went to watch it only to find out it was not on. The only way I knew what was going on is by going to the ABC website. The writing problems that the show encountered in its first season were not the way things normally go, so why not give it another run and see if the ratings are better? Please bring this show back.
Please help save this Great and Awsome show!
It is unfortunate that Commander in Chief did not have time, or the skill required , to gain a better audience rating. It was a different view of our elected officials and deserved a better run, possibly with a more understanding network. I belong to the over 60 demographic and so tend to lose out to those that appreciate what is laughingly called "Reality TV'. Well'better luck next time.
This is so crazy! ABC is crazy. It's the only show on ABC that I ever really liked.
bring it back!!!!!
Take a good show, have it disappear for months, then return it opposite the CBS Thursday night powerhouse lineup. What a surpise...think it won't be cancelled. Want to buy a bridge?
For this show and others that are cut short I would hope that GREED would drive them to bring some closure to cancelled shows. TV DVD sales are a big revenue item these days. Just refuse to buy those TV series DVDs that don't bring closure and extras such as creator commentary. Lets vote with our wallets.
Well for one thing I am a man and that was my favorite show to watch when it was on, Maybe if they didnt move it or pull it and gave the people a chance who knows. But certain people have a problem with woman, that or there minds are to little to comprehend that a woman could be president, those are the people that voted for bush.
This is a good show. Give it a chance on a different night, don't line it up against existing hits. bring it back on Tuesday!!
I am so frustrated and disappointed. I thought Commander in Chief was a great show. It was something a little different and Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland did a great job. I loved the chemistry between them as rivals. I think the Networks played around way too much with the scheduling of new shows once December came and they changed everything around. I would definitely watch Commander if/when it comes back, but the networks need to pick a time slot and keep it. Change it from season to season, but not mid season, after hiatus after hiatus. I think this show suffered from bad managing problems, not the show itself. I hope it gets renewed or picked up by another network. They should put it back to Tuesday night where it seemed to shine.
I love this show, I'm annoyed, especially since it was due to the producers screwing around and not just low ratings. Via la Chief!
Hooray, I'm glad the show is going off the air. It was a horrible show to begin with.
NOOO!!! I love this show! They have to bring it back! Geea Davis can run my country anytime- she plays the part with a dignity and grace that most actresses lack today. This is a wonderful show, and should be resumed as soon as possible.
Pretty pertinent warning. To abstain from swearing is rather difficult. What a disappointment for any brain and heart possessing person.
The best show in years. The ratings are obvious result of at least 2 reasons: public low IQ and EQ AND (my paranoia?) White House manipulations - first: CIC was literally bumped off by State of the Union (quite pathetic one) - just symbolic coincident - and 2nd: possible shuffling other schedules to increase the viewing competition (see the low IQ/EQ of the populous - Boston Legal still going strong - Mon Dieu - have mercy on us).

ABC wigs should (if they can under the pressure ??) remember that Seinfeld - God forbids me comparing - just an example of the hit - was kept on, despite the poor ratings, for 4 seasons and only then got going.

\