Common Law: Trust and Progress

Common Law S01E05: “The T Word”

This week in couples counseling, Travis and Wes were given homework because they screwed around during their session and revealed absolutely nothing of note to one another during a trust exercise. Wes pointed out that they didn’t have to tell each other deep, dark secrets to practice trusting one another because they faced life and death situations regularly—like the opening hostage situation that had no connection to the storyline except to illustrate this one fact. He had a point, but Dr. Emma asked him to explain to the class what prompted him to draw a gun on Travis back before the series started, the event that got them shuffled off to therapy, and I no longer cared what Wes’s point was because I’m impatient and want to know all of the things.

The case of the week revolved around The Babyfaces, a band of burglars who donned oddly terrifying baby masks and communicated via Army Ranger signals. After hitting four double McMansions with cheese, the FBI stepped in to help with/take over the investigation, which would have annoyed Detectives Mitchell and Marks more if Agent D’Amico wasn’t a total babe.

We met yet another one of Travis’s foster families and yet another brother with insight into the case. Travis’s foster background is apparently the gift that keeps on giving. Travis’s brother, Jason, a former Army Ranger, dropped a few hints that led our bromantic detectives to investigate a demolitions expert with possible connections to The Babyfaces. Wes stepped on a land mine’s pressure plate because the suspect had seeded his own front lawn with mines and that is not at all insane or incriminating. Nope. Not crazy at all.

Travis tried to recreate the same amount of weight Wes applied to the pressure plate with some conveniently left-behind buckets. With one of the buckets quickly leaking water and the mine set to go off after ninety seconds whether Wes stepped off of the plate or not, they hoped to at least buy enough time to take cover before T minus 0. It was the ultimate application of Dr. Emma’s homework assignment, but it also reinforced Wes’s point about trust. As the two of them babbled some slightly panicked exposition while the ticker quickly counted down to zero, Travis told Wes to trust him and his plan. “I don’t have a choice,” Wes responded.

Maybe it was sarcasm or fear speaking, but for all intents and purposes, “I don’t have a choice,” sums up Wes and Travis perfectly. It’s easy to trust your BFF (though I still totally and completely agree that at one point pre-series, these two were real friends), but it’s not so easy to trust someone you don’t particularly like. However, if you DO end up trusting that person, and he or she repeatedly proves his or herself a worthy recipient of that trust; that’s a pretty strong relationship, don’t you think?

So Wes lived to antagonize Travis another day and Richard the Paranoid Demolitions Expert was arrested. Despite not being a mask-packing member of The Babyfaces, Richard admitted that he'd had dealings with them, providing explosives and other weapons. He said that they wore the masks even during business transactions, but identified one as doing some neat Zippo-lighter tricks.

Uh-oh. Travis’s ex-Army foster brother did neat Zippo-lighter tricks. What did it MEAN?

Actually, at that point, it was fairly obvious what it meant. Travis stalked Jason for the better part of a day, got him to recreate the lighter trick, and then talked to his former foster mama just to be sure. He confronted Jason, who was really quite smug about the whole thing. I mean, dude, your foster brother is a fairly respected detective in the LAPD, which means he isn’t an idiot. If he’s onto you, maybe you should try not to be an ass about it?

Travis eventually came clean to Wes with everything he knew about Jason. It was our big, touchy-feely trust moment of the evening. In return, Wes admitted that even though he often picked on Travis about his seemingly endless parade of foster brothers, he was sometimes jealous because he doesn’t have anything like that in his own family. I would have rather heard about why he pulled a gun on him pre-series, but I’m picky. Still, it was progress!

Armed with a final McMansion address from Travis’s foster mom, Wes and Travis organized a sting and intercepted The Babyfaces before they could do any real damage. Jason broke away from the pack to make a great escape, but Travis intercepted him. Stuck in a face-off, with guns pointed at each other’s faces, the situation looked tense until it was Wes to the rescue, deftly sniping Jason in the shoulder to break things up. Travis thanked him, and admitted that he wouldn’t have been able to pull the trigger himself. Wes said that’s why he was there, to make sure Travis never had to.

Aw. Wes was a good partner. Even Agent D’Amico said so.

“Sometimes,” Wes said, only willing to give himself so much credit.

I think everybody needs to head over to Captain Mike for some group hugs.

Case Notes & Follow-up Questions

– Did anyone else catch the implication that Wes and Travis work together to cheat at therapy? Travis took the homework assignment seriously and spent most of the beginning of the episode trying to tell Wes this or that. Wes told him to just write something down and he’d read it before their next session. Travis pointed out that Emma “always knows when we do that.” I love it. More and more, I’m getting the vibe that the mutual “hate” these two are rocking is a recent development.

– Those masks were so creepy. So, so creepy.

– Agent D’Amico gave her phone number to both Travis AND Wes. Well played, ma’am. Well played indeed.

– So Wes and Travis’s inability to get along is generally played for laughs, but the gun incident that finally got them sent to therapy is apparently anything but funny. I think I’m finally intrigued. You?

I'm really enjoying the show, it's fun to watch and the 'therapy' subjects adds a bit of fun to it, like with the trust issues.

Those masks were freaky creepy, they made me understand why some people hate clowns.

I REALLY want to know about the gun incident, what situation can make you pull a gun on someone today, but will still allow you to work with them tomorrow.

Hummmm thoughts anyone?
those masks will give me nightmares
Surprised at so many fairly positive comments so far. While the show isn't a mess it is still formulaic with a bland cast. Guess it works on USA but isn't as quirky in a likable way as shows like Psych or Monk.
It's such a fun series. I like their relationship. I can't not assume that they are friends, although they're more like brothers. They love each other, mutually respect and understand each other, they have each other's backs...but they don't always like each other. I think the irony of this show is that their relationship isn't dysfunctional at all.

Yes. Definitely. I need to know why Wes pulled his gun out on his own partner. It seemed to be something painful too, based on their mutual reactions to when the Doc brought it up.
This show is excellent. Funny and I can see the characters unfolding. I hope this show lasts.
I fell asleep during the first episode and nearly deleted it half a dozen times from my DVR. I'm glad I didn't though. I would have preferred the show was more light hearted and fun like Psych but I like the characters and I always like how bright and polished the cinematography seems to be in USA shows. Not much room for it in the Fall or Spring but I can fit it in during the Summer.

I would like to add that I hate when they cast known actors in the role of the criminal. Gives it away immediately every single time.
After last week's episode showing signs of improvement, this one was an absolute letdown. An exceptionally dumb case with overly-convenient clues (my favorite, after the perfect eye-witness, was the MP5 being "only used with Army Rangers", despite the FBI and local law enforcement using it for years, and it being a popular gray-market weapon), coupled with another brainless "therapy" session where there's no real thought put into the characters or the statements. Are these guys upset with each other, are there real problems, or are they just generic buddy cops?

Also, this is the first time I really noticed Louisiana making a bad replacement for Los Angeles.

This felt like a cheap Lethal Weapon knock-off, and I really don't want to watch that, so I'm out.
I have to say that common law has followed a common USA trend of starting off slow with just an ok pilot and taking a few episodes to come into its own. I'm starting to get hooked
I'd say the trend is more starting off with a bang, then fizzling out somewhat, before regaining the fire. It's these shows, at least, and seem to last into other seasons. Most that start off with a mediocre pilot and slowly gain momentum end up losing it again, and losing out on a chance to be resigned.
Actually Travis said that he WOULD have pulled the trigger and Wes responded that he was there to make sure he didn't have to.

Anyway, loved the episode, finally some progress as you clearly mentioned in the review. I love USA-shows! xD

Was that regret on Wes' face when he said "sometimes" and looked back at Travis? Was that a hint on what happened before he pulled his gun on him or was it simply because he regretted actually threatening Travis' life?

(And could you work with someone who wanted to shoot you even if it was probably during the heat of the moment?)
I enjoyed the episode as well. I think they are bringing it all together. Between this episode and the last. I think they are making progress. The only gripe I have is that they need to get someone with some knowledge about guns on the show to consult. Because that is the only gripe that I have currently. Also I would like to see another ride along with the Doc.
Ah, it appears that Common Law is starting to find its footing and becoming a bit more, uh, polished?

I had a fun time watching this episode and this is now two episodes in a row that I've really enjoyed. The plot was cool; it wasn't complex or very intriguing, and I wont be very accepting of the show using Travis' foster homes as "sources" again and again, but the plot isn't particularly important.

The show will probably go as far as the two leads do, and during these past few episodes, I can certainly see them as becoming another strong and funny USA Network combro.

• 8:00 pm