Community: Once, Twice, Three Times a Comedy

Community S03E20, S03E21, and S03E22:

Note to Community fans from the future reading archived internet stories on what has become the greatest cult comedy of all time: While you viewed episodes of Community by hyperloading them onto your opto-discs, we primitive beings watched episodes as they aired on a contraption called a television, as dictated by an evil company known as NBC (don't worry about that, though, there's no way it's still around in your time). Therefore, we wrote reviews after each night on which the show aired. In this instance, NBC aired three episodes for some reason, therefore we have only one write-up for the final three episodes of Season 3. P.S. How was Season 14 of Community?

Longtime Community fans are used to ingesting the show in single scoops, once per week, with a six grueling days between each serving. That's just how it goes. But last night, NBC decided to air a trio of episodes over two hours, and for me at least, it provided a completely different way to watch the show. I imagine it mirrored the way latecomers to the series probably watched it on DVD, grabbing big handfuls at a time. But for me, this was the first time I've ever seen new episodes back-to-back. And you know what? It was awesome.

"Digital Estate Planning," "The First Chang Dynasty," and "Introduction to Finality" were so completely different from one another that to the untrained eye (ear?) of a blind person, they would have appeared to be from three separate shows. That speaks to the boundless creativity of Community, a weird show with a fondness for gimmicks and a soft heart at its center. And seeing all three episodes back-to-back-to-back gave me a new appreciation for the comedy.

You're familiar with Neopolitan ice cream right? It's that weird layered mix of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, and when it gets to a plate, there's a flavor for everyone. Some people like chocolate, some people like vanilla, and some weirdos prefer the strawberry (who are you people!?!?!). Last night's Community block was like that, except instead of loser strawberry, there was delicious mint chocolate chip to go with the vanilla and chocolate. (Feel free to substitute your own favorite ice cream flavor for the purpose of metaphor.) There was something for everyone, and as yummy as the episodes were individually, they were even better together.

It's incredibly hard for a comedy to air three strong episodes in a row, but Community rocked it last night with a trio of winners. But it was how the show did it—with a gimmick episode, an homage episode, and a heartfelt episode—that really made it a highlight of the series' career.

Digital Estate Planning

A few of you might remember me from my days at GameSpot (anyone ever watch "The Last Word" with me and Tor?), so let's just say I've spent my fair share of time soaking my eyeballs with drops so as not to blink while hiding behind a game controller during a marathon session. Considering Dan Harmon's fondness for video games, it was only a matter of time before the 8-bit world of "Digital Estate Planning" came to life.

Yes, it was probably the most forced entry into a story ever (Pierce's inheritance being determined by all the characters playing a multi-player, old-school video game is one of TV's all-time "let's just get on with it" premises), but once the show got into "Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne," did we care how they got there? No. We just wanted to see pixelated Annie look all adorable.

But what made me really proud of Community was how this episode handled video game culture. Most of the time, games are portrayed by television as though a roundtable of grandmothers storyboarded it up, but "Digital Estate Planning" nailed the multi-player gaming experience, because most of Community's creative team have played their fair share. For example, I play games exactly like Troy, which is to say like a hyperactive kangaroo or Chinese acrobat on crank. I hammer that jump button 'til it wears out, I like to put things on NPC's heads, and I will break every jar, crate, or barrel in sight. (Troy and I would take hours to get out of a single room, but we'd have a blast.) And occasionally, I'll freak out after accidentally killing a random character and go on an impromptu genocide spree. It happens, and those little details of the gaming experience added a ton of cred to the episode.

Giancarlo Esposito was great as Pierce's rival, and the revelation that he was Pierce's half-brother from his father's inappropriate relationship with the nanny's hot cousin—not to mention Pierce forfeiting his inheritance—was a pleasant surprise.

Also:

– I laughed every single time they showed Pierce running into a wall.

– Abed found a new girlfriend!

– Did anyone catch one of Abed's first dialogue options with Hilda? "I want to wear your skin." Save the game right there, then select that option. That's what I would do.

The First Chang Dynasty

This was probably my favorite of the three episodes, because it was just bonkers crazy. "Loooooove is not admissible evidennnnce!" It was, for the most part, an homage to heist movies like Ocean's 11, but it reached new levels of hilarious absurdity—one of Community's greatest strengths. I know I've questioned the Chang storyline in past episodes, but in order to make it work, Community needed to go balls out and make its ridiculousness so ridiculous that we had no choice but to become willing captives in a world where an Asian security guard took over a community college by kidnapping its dean and replacing him with a puppet deanelganger/doppeldeaner/deanerchanger.

This was the type of episode where you're either all in and love every minute of or you're super freaked out. If you're in the latter group, you need to lighten up! There's plain crazy and genius crazy, and harnessing absurdity to create an episode like "The First Chang Dynasty" takes that rare genius type. By all accounts this should have been a disaster, but Community continues to carve out its own flavor of comedy that's so chaotic on the outside but is actually built with extreme precision.

I had wondered how the series was going to go back into Troy's air-conditioning school story, and it got back into it quick. His departure was SAD, but Community was able to make it heartbreaking AND funny at the same time. This would have been a pretty devastating way to end the evening, but thankfully it wasn't over yet.

Also:

– Why does goth Britta look so hot? I think I might be completely obsessed with Britta. Although the life-sized posters I've made of her tell me I'm not and that it's perfectly healthy.

– Chang's story about eating his twin sister in utero killed me!

– "It is hard out there for a fake Moby!"

– Dean at the rave. Wow.

Introduction to Finality

If this had been a series finale, would anyone have been disappointed? (I mean in the context of it being a final episode, not in the sense of there being no more Community coming. That would be sad no matter how you slice it.) Community is always at its best when it puts the focus on the gang's friendship and culminates in an awesome speech by Jeff. Check and check!

What made this episode work particularly well is that the gang was completely broken up, with each character lost in his/her own way (except for Annie, who was surprisingly sidelined for the most part). Pierce and Shirley were at odds. Jeff just wanted to study and ended up battling his old nemesis. Troy was struggling with the air-conditioning school. Abed was checked out from reality as a result of Troy's absence. And Britta was crushed by Abed's mind games.

But everyone must be pushed apart in order to bring them back together. In what was one of Community's greatest moments ever, Jeff's speech at the end—about helping others and propping up those in need—is what Community is all about. And the final montage showing so much character growth—Jeff looking up his father, Abed dismantling the Dreamatorium, Shirley and Pierce getting their sandwich shop—was beautiful, plain and simple. Are comedies supposed to do this?

Also:

– "Jeeez Dennis, are you on coke? Take that crap off and sit down." Probably my biggest laugh of the evening.

– Pierce's bookcase disguise may have been my second biggest laugh.

– Starburns is aliiiiiiiiive! And completely unrecognizable.

– Big WOW on Leonard's roommate. So funny.

Final Thoughts

Seeing each of these three episodes on their own would have been great. But did NBC actually know what it was doing when it put them all together on the same night? The evening was greater than the sum of its parts because it showed off what Community does best, which is everything. I'm speechless. Now let's all go get some yard margs.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Staff
The future here.....just ingested all three seasons of Community in ~3 weeks. I'm a fan! Although I thought it was a particular week season 3 finale ep. Loved "Digital Estate Planning." Gotta say though that if each season of Community were 5 eps shorter (so 3 seasons of 15 eps each) it would make for such a great show. I get the experimental aspect yadda yadda yadda. But still a very good show. Well done.
Let's hope Dan Harmon left some of his crazy genius behind for the remaining 3 seasons + the movie! This trio was a great way to end the season. Jeff Winger for President!
Leonard is one of the most awesome sidekicks / extras with lines ever. How bad did he burn Britta with his "No such thing as bad press" retort on him having a crooked penis? Totally agree with you on his roommate.

Also, I felt like the last four episodes were like the best ever. But maybe that's just because I watched them all in a row 'cause I had to catch up...
First off, I like the new Neapolitan idea - mint, vanilla, and chocolate are all awesome flavors. Anyway, Community was just all around amazing last week. Why? Just everything, there's too much to list.

I felt this season was kinda mixed, especially when it came back on in March - though that could have been due to the Community withdrawal, fear, and tireless campaigning I went through. When I rewatch the third season on DVD, I'm pretty sure my second opinion will be a lot higher. If anything, Community's season closing triad was top notch. Go Greendale Seven!!
Loved it! Now one can only hope that the coming 11 seasons and the movie triology are just as great as the first three seasons of the show..

I case everything goes down the drain for season 4 I think we should all occupy NBC headquarters!
I love strawberry ice cream on it's own but it definitely pales when compared to chocolate or vanilla.

yeah not sure what it is but since britta dancing in the unitard i've been crushing hard too.
I thought all of the episodes were fantastic!!! my goodness!!!!!!!! wow!!! #sixseasonsandamovie!

Some days I like strawberry the most, some chocolate, most vanilla.

The 8-bit episode was a very hard pill to swallow, partly the format just felt too specific - my sister turned it off after a few minutes, and she's a pretty big Community fan - and partly because the voice acting felt really voice-acted. That said, once it got going, once it started really getting into the meat, it was quite an entertaining show, and they pulled a lot of awesome references from 8-bit life.

Chang Dynasty was too much, I'm sorry. There was funny stuff, but it was just painful to sit through as an overall thing. That said, it wasn't a disaster as bad as it could have been thanks to the main characters carrying the heart of the show.

Introduction to Finality was working so hard to be a series finale, and up until the last few moments it was working for me, but then when everything turned great for everyone in the montage it made me want to puke, it was just SUCH the rush to give the story finality.

I will say that these 3 did flow together in how different they were surprisingly well, they wore their differences on their sleeves the same way the main group does and it pulled that aspect off.

It saddens me to think that this really is the finale though, what with Sony pulling the plug on Dan Harmon and NBC pushing it into a Friday timeslot next season. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Community season 4 won't be Community at all, it'll be a ripoff show except with the same actors and sets.

Ugh. I can't say anything bad about any of the three episodes.

I had a smile on my face for the entire half hour of Digital Estate Planning. Hilarious!

I'm not always the biggest fan of Community's crazier episodes, but The First Chang Dynasty was so kooky that it almost forced me to like it.

Introduction to Finality was really great. They managed to make 3 different type of finales with 3 different storylines (Troy vs AC Repair; Abed vs Evil Abed; and Jeff & Shirley vs Alan & Pierce), and they all worked really well. Also, Abed may not have grown as much as you credit him for... while he did tear down the Dreamatorium, he created a smaller version just for himself.
Yeah they were good, as always though you can't really trust a review of Community on here because you guys always go overboard. Good show but still pales against AD and that only ever had 53 episodes, that was a crime.
How many more exceedingly creative and genre busting shows have to be ruined by network television companies? Arrested Development, Firefly, Jericho, Community etc this list is and will continue to grow names of "FAN'tastic " shows who were derailed by despite exceptional fan outcry. Cable networks are starting to catch on to the fact that Ratings numbers aren't the only data to base a shows future potential on. If We can use the Internet to demand a second season of Jericho and have it actually happen whats to stop us from having a voices heard in the future?

The time for the viewers to rise up and take more power over what is being shown is now!

Let your thoughts be known, -Jeff Zucker, President and Chief Executive Officer, NBC Universal Phone:(212) 664-4444 Email: jeff.zucker@nbcuni.com-
ZOMG Some of the best of Community yet!!

Once again the show destroys subtle re-use of jokes with sublime execution! Disappointed that not enough people realized that the club music played during the night club scene in The First Chang Dynasty was actually the music from the opening club scene in BLADE!!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS SHOW .... sad to see Harmon go :( Hopefully the show doesn't suffer too much.
i like strawberry.
Dan Harmon's comment : http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/23339272200/hey-did-i-miss-anything
To bad this was Dan Harmons last season... http://www.slashfilm.com/dan-harmon-longer-showrunner-community/
OMG I LOVED all of the eps. Especially Digital Estate Planning. Who cares why they were there? I loved the opening credits. I honestly do play games like Troy, running, jumping, and smashing everything in sight.

I was cracking up the entire time. The whole concept was completely genius.

I loved them all... what more can a person want? (more COMMUNITY not-withstanding)

"Toy and Abed throwing lava" stuck in my head

best hour ever. it's a real shame about dan harmon not continuing on in his role.
I lost all claims to masculinity when i heard baby abed: "cool-cool-cool" ! I mean come on, was that not the cutest thing EVER!!
THIS IS TOO MUCH. I CAN"T. THIS NEWS

I feel sick!

Evil-Abed got his wish. This timeline is 100% darker.
Why don't they just have Chuck Lorre take over and add a laugh track. As long as it gets viewers, who cares if the soul of the show is destroyed?
I'd rather have Chuck Lorre than two randoms from 'Just Shoot Me'---a name so called because that's what I would be yelling if I was ever forced to watch it. But either way, nobody is going to be able to replace and match Dan Harmon.

Two questions:

- WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE WATCHING THIS SHOW? IT IS BALLS-OUT AWESOME!!!!

- Will the Emmys give us their usual, mediocre picks for Best Comedy Series and ignore once again this series which, on every single episode, the raise the standard of what a sitcom should be? And can this bogus award shows, that should really be named "Popularity Contest - TV edition" lose all its remaining trace of integrity if "Community" doesn't get at the very least a nod this time around?... Well, "Community" and "Louie"... with "Archer" and "South Park" too... what I'm pointing out: for some reason, the funniest shows on TV rarely get the support and acknowledgement they deserve. And this masterpiece is chief among them.

Great job, Harmon. Cool. Cool. Cool... indeed.
"Chang's story about eating his twin sister in utero killed me!"

I loved that he claimed her name was "Connie Chang"...I died laughing...

"'Jeeez Dennis, are you on coke? Take that crap off and sit down.' Probably my biggest laugh of the evening."

mine was probably them fighting "jive turkeys".

"Pierce's bookcase disguise may have been my second biggest laugh."

That was so bizarre/perfect...

"Starburns is aliiiiiiiiive! And completely unrecognizable."

Well...except he still has starburns...

#sixseasonsandamovie

Soo much goodness in one hour is just too much to comment on, except that it was awesome!

I will rewatch them tomorrow and discover some more jokes (I love that about Community)
I howled with laughter at the Annie in the blacksmiths shop. i really need to sit down and go frame by frame in some spots and catch all the little jokes. I did notice a baby Abed skeleton in a jail cell when Abed is explaining his time with his new wife. Also it just hit me after rewatching it again the objects the ride in the black caves are fried chicken legs. Hilarious nod to Pierce's racist dad.

Second one was great too. The video game one had me in a euphoric high i glazed over a bit in the second episode. Good stuff too. Love how insane Chang is. Loved Jeff's line about that is the ONLY time she should seduce a young boy over the internet.

Third episode was great. I too loved the over the top AC guy's intro to the death match and the reaction to it. If this had been the last episode, I'd have left happy. It was a great season finale and would have made a satisfying series finale.

I adore this show. It takes risks and creates a bizarre world that is so fun to watch. So many great episodes and a lot of them took risks. A claymation episode? It works so well because it isn't real, it is all how Abed is seeing things. Everyone else is seeing normal things. A zombie episode? Yup and it was awesome. Tribute to westerns and action films? We get paintball versions of them. Law and Order, Goodfellas, and more all get their tributes.

I hope the next season continues the great story telling. I'd actually love to see Jeff meet his dad. Another way I'd like to see this show end is with the group graduating, the dean being depressed until he meets a new study group. Make it like a carbon copy make up of the one we watched for the past few seasons. The "new" Jeff character needs to be played by Ryan Seacrest. New Pierce could be Bill Murray, etc. Just have a quick shot of the new group and the Dean smiling because he has new people to fawn over.
There's a confederate flag in the top left in the scene where Gilbert starts killing the others' avatars.
In the video game, I loved when Annie and Shirley killed the Blacksmith and his wife, haha. And maybe the best for me, "Troy and Abed shooting lava" :P On a whole I really enjoyed First Chang Dynasty but I just don't like Chang as this security guard. Every season he's changed what's going on so I really hope they write Chang into something better. Troy with the air condition repair people was all put to rest and that was really done well.

For some reason I must had checked out and didn't realize Abed was taking down the Dream-atorium. I'll have to go back and watch that better. So a great 3 ep. arc to end Season 3. Hoping season 4 is awesome and I know I'm probably in the minority but hope for just a tad less surrealism but an incredible Community season 4.
Every time the Dean makes any comment to or about Jeff I crack up! His Jeffrey doll was HILARIOUS!
Great Review. Amazing mini-marathon of Community. #sixseasonsandamovie!
Awesome night for all the eps. But with a move to fri and last nights ratings being a series low when they shoulda been a high Im doubtful the show will make it much longer. Im just thankful I'll get 13 more eps next season so they can a proper sendoff.

Cant believe all 3 eps only got a 1.3 NBC sucks. Reruns of other shows did better than the community finale. For comparison, last week The Office scored a 2.3 adults 18-49 rating at 9PM and Parks and Recreation got a 1.7 at 9:30PM
I loved how they put them all together like that! Makes me realize that Community is such a great show to marathon through. I guess it also helped that these were the season's more stronger episodes after coming back from the hiatus. #sixseasonsandamovie!
Goth Britta: hot! Criss Angel Jeff: Super freaking hot!!! Community at its best!
Gonna watch it all again. I'm too sick with the flu to have appreciated it fully. And still loved it! #sixseasonandamovie
Britta: Dean!

Dean: JEFFERY!, oh it's Britta

that made me laugh =]
i like strawberry ice cream!!

I strongly think it's ber-weird to not like strawberry ice cream.

You're weird, Surette.
Same here. Also, I don't really care for mint chocolate chip. I wouldn't say no to it if there's no other choice, but I wouldn't go wild over it.
Count me among the weirdos, because I like it, too!
Hilda has information on the following topics:

- Other Parrot

- Carpenter camps

- Broken swords

- Giant rock monster

- Frog prescriptions

- Brick vouchers

- Extra large swords

Yeah, I'd be in love with her too.
'Teeter totter flying floor' and 'Anti-physics horse' LOL.

Thanks for the list!
For your efforts in compiling this list I will allow you to freely collect all the blue coins.
I love all the references I know from that list. Too bad there are some which I don't know. Such a great list for videogame fans though. :D
LOL-LOL-LOL!!!

My favorite is "Anti-physics horse"!
I praise you gathering all that but maybe a bit too much time on your hands. :D
I downloaded the episode and it took me about 10 minutes to type it all up.
@JonnyBlazed

HAHAHAHAHA!
You go girl!
awesome~! Bring on season 4!!
Sorry, I keep remembering things. THE DEAN FAINTING WHEN JEFF TOUCHED HIM. JIM RASH, PEOPLE. JIM F***ING RASH.
Yea I am not so sure that is "fainting". It looks a little like something else.
I agree... something else entirely. How hilarious is that?! Just one touch from Joel...
Also, I loved Yvette's 'Ye-es?' Was Yvette adroable, or was Yvette adorable? The latter? YOU ARE CORRECT.
Also, you guys, quick round of applause to the actor who portrayed Fake Dean. Let's all just put it out there, he did GREAT. He was wonderful, he really was. I feel like I'm being blasphemous in some way, but I have to say it, he VERY NEARLY pulled of Jim Rash. He did. It can't just be me who thought that, he killed it.
his name is J.P manoux
What an amazing trio of episodes. I feel so good right now, like I've seen a unicorn.

And to think I still have Person of Interest finale left to watch... Awesome evening is awesome
YES and YES and also YES. To all of it.

Some favorite quotes:

Jeff: "We have to plan an elaborate heist." Pierce: "Great, I'll get my turban!" Jeff: "Everyone but Pierce has to plan an elaborate heist."

Jeff: "Do you know how long someone as sarcastic as I am would last in prison? SUUUUCH a long time."

Britta: "Look, I HATE cops... ... ..." (I love how completely singular that line was, despite GIllian's voice implying she would continue with a 'However...' YAY GILLIAN.)

Britta: "Which one am I? I assume nothing because I'm not racist."

Pierce: "Hey! Don't use gay as a derogatory term. Oh, yeah! Good person."

Everyone: "I'm in."

Chang- "So it ends as it began." Jeff: "It didn't begin this way!"

Troy- "No, take him to the police. He murdered someone, take him to jail. You guys are weird."

Random guy- "THERE ARRREEE NO RULES!"

Troy's avatar jumping KILLED me. Video Game Troy is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I loved Troy's maternal freak-out, and then when the woman stood up and took the baby BAM, they were talking about Inspector Spacetime again.

They used the hashtag! At the end! It was beautiful!

Esposito! LOVED HIM. Perhaps more than Goodman.

Gah, I can't go on anymore. It was all just so great.

Though I feel the need to say I've felt rather hateful towards the whole 'evil Chang' storyline most of the time it's been featured in the show, and I THINK I may have said on last weeks recap that unless they fully invested in it, it wouldn't work. Well, they did, and it was glorious.
Okay, before reading the actual episode recaps: Tim, I applaud your taste in ice-cream, but I resent you mentioning my three favorite flavours which I don't have the opportunity of accessing from literally anywhere right now. (One of them WASN'T strawberry. Deduce what you may...it's really quite simple.)
"My father is the blacksmith." -laughed so hard.
I also love that Jeff and Chang were getting ready to lightsaber-fight with tazers.

"It ends as it began."

"It didn't begin this way!"
#sixseasonsamovieandavideogame
Troy: Mind if I cut in?

*moves britta out of the way to get to abed*

Amazing!
Cruel...Cruel, cruel, cruel.
That was the best night of tv I've ever experienced! So glad there's goingto be another season!
This trio of episodes were so amazingly funny and witty and awesome!!! So I'm guessing Chang's gonna be working for City College next season, Starburns will re-enroll as a new student or something LOL, We'll meet Jeff's father and Britta's definitely did move in with Troy, Abed and Annie!. Thank God there's gonna be a 4th Season (albeit a short one) but as the tagline on the final scene before the credits said: #sixseasonsandamovie!!!!!!!!!!
Three completely different episodes. It shows me how extra-ordinary Community is. I hope next season is not the last we see of this series.
Ha thats good. But were you just thinking that b/c you just watched Digital Estate Planning?
God it would suck in a way if we didn't know they were coming back on the air.

Is Britta moving in with Troy and Abed, or is Troy just taking that room over.

Either way I will miss the Dreamatorium but I feel like it's did it part this season.
Load More Comments