Community: Pillows Are the New Paintballs

Community S03E14: "Pillows and Blankets"

Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. —Oliver Wendell Holmes.

If we learned anything from tonight's episode of Community, the post-production masterpiece "Pillows and Blankets," it's that when this show sets out to do something, it does it right. "Pillows and Blankets" was one of the tougher concept episodes the series has attempted, but the show pulled it off thanks to the next-level thinking Dan Harmon and his staff are famous for.

The second installment of the Abeds vs. the Troys saw the BFFs in a T-I-F-F over encroaching forts built of bedstuffs: pillows on Abed's side and blankets on Troy's. What resulted was... PILLLLLOW FIIIIIIIGHT!!!! A silly friendship this strong could only yield a silly fight this big, and as much as we love to see Troy and Abed together, seeing them apart gave us one of the series' best and most ambitious episodes to date.

The Greendale Civil War was modeled after Ken Burns' Civil War, the grand standard for public broadcasting documentaries that run into the double digits in terms of hours of runtime but feature no real footage. Essentially, Burns' epic is a strangely compelling and sneaky combination of photo-slideshow and history lecture with fake sound effects in the background, and it turned out to be the perfect vehicle for Community to break into and joyride.

Normal sitcoms are known for their actors and jokes, and that's about it. "Pillows and Blankets" proved that there's a lot of potential for humor in the editing room and a good graphics department. From the callbacks to last week's episode to the "Dan Harmon Effect" of copying the "Ken Burns Effect" (zooming and sliding still photos) to battleground maps to close-ups of text messages to stills of people texting those text messages, "Pillows and Blankets" was all about realizing a concept that has no business being on television.

Think of the contrast between Community's bottle episode "Cooperative Calligraphy" and the post-production beast that was "Pillows and Blankets." "Cooperative Calligraphy" took place in one setting with only the principal cast. That could practically be shot in an afternoon. "Pillows and Blankets" was an onslaught of scenes and still photos and emails and blueprints for a pillowman with a cast of hundreds of people and pillows involved. The call sheet for this episode must have been immense! If Community can give us something like both of these episodes in its lifetime, I'm thoroughly convinced it can also turn water into wine. Pardon me while I hyperbolize, but this is messiah-like work.

For me the biggest laughs came somewhere near the middle of the episode, when Chang brought in the Changlorious Basterds, a ragtag gang of rugrats he recruited to do his bidding. And the crowning moment was Abed's strategic counter move, unleashing Pillow Man, the fluffy headrest fight version of a top-secret Iron Man suit. Seeing Pierce rumble out onto the battlefield and beat the snot out of those kids just about killed me.

But there was a strong story buried under the piles of feathers. There was enough attention to make sure that every character had a great role in the war even though the bulk of the episode was just presentation. And at the heart of it all, we all wanted Troy and Abed to eventually make amends.

In the end that's exactly what we got as Abed and Troy realized their fight was all about how much they liked each other. And Jeff, for just a moment, stepped out of his own smug world and into Troy and Abed's mobile mental Dreamatorium, even taking the time to actually pick up their friendship hats. It was one of the most vulnerable and honest moments we've ever seen Jeff have. I guess war will do that to a man.

Study Group Notes

– If there's one complaint I can imagine people having about the episode, it's that it was too much of the same thing. But I can also see "more of the same" being an argument for why the episode was so great. I'm in the latter camp. As far as special episodes go, "Pillows and Blankets" was right up there with the best of them.

– "Pillows but no sleep, feathers but no birds. Pajamas without children, violence with no purpose. I saw mommy kissing Exxon Mobile." —Amanda Johnson, poet by choice, lesbian by birth.

– Leonard likes this post!

– That was Harmon as English Memorial, the Portuguese sailor who discovered Greendale.

– I loved seeing Chang surrender to that chick, take a huge whack to her when her back was turned, and then surrender again.

– Have you seen Ken Burns' Civil War? If not, do you think you would have liked this episode more if you had? I'm wondering if it's similar to the My Dinner With Andre spoof, which I knew about and made that episode that much better.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

This is , by far, the best community episode!

Like alot of the people viewing this website, I watch alot of TV shows , and it is extremely hard to get impressed by a TV show these days, but this eposide did it and blew my mind!

I really hope the show stays on for atleast 5-6 seasons so that we can see more of these amazingly creative episodes!
"Have you seen Ken Burns' Civil War? " I haven't but I realised quickly what the episode was aiming for and "got it" right away and thought it was a simply wonderful episode that completely worked, one of, if not, the best Community episode to date.
They are showing a rerun of the previous blanket fort episode... and Troy and Abed ARE WEARING THE SAME PIJAMAS as in these episodes!!!

This is just too much, I want to marry this series :P
Is it weird to have cried near the end of this episode? THE TROBED SHOULD NEVER PART WAYS.
What an amazing episode. Having seen all of Ken Burns' Civil War i really appreciated this episode, and the whole concept. A few people are saying that the episode wasn't funny, but it was funny on a different level. So many inside jokes.

How many shows can be THAT funny spoofing an old civil war doc. It is so hard to write that stuff and make it interesting and, more importantly, funny. Even the fonts were perfectly realised. I am unsure if it would have been as funny if i hadn't watched Ken Burns' Civil War, but then maybe that is the point why some people loved it and few others didn't?

Great show.
This was a clear 10/10 for me.

The level of creativity in this series is so amazing. You never know what kind of episode you will get, and still (atleast for me) they never disappoint. For me personally the 'worst' Community episodes are still way better than any average episode of The Big Bang Theory.

I can understand that some people didn't like this episode, but then Community is just not really your thing. Which doesn't say you can't enjoy it, but rather that you probably enjoy series like The Big Bang Theory more. For me TBBT is just a one man show (Sheldon) with the ocassional easy (but nontheless funny) jokes by the other castmembers.

I like series to be unpredictable, from comedies (Community) to dramas (Game of Thrones). Unfortunately for me, I've seen too much predictable comedies in my life already (Friends etc.). And most series follow this very safe format. HIMYM is somewhere in between for me. They adhere to the usual Friends format, but they give it their own turn. And I especially like their episodes where the storyline changes all the time.

Back to Community:

MVP: Jeff for picking up the friendship hats, and actually dusting them off :')

As a massive Community fan I don't completely get the TBBT hate... I mean I know they ruin the ratings but that's because TBBT is good at what it does... I'm not saying it's half as good as Community as far as Geniusness but really TBBT is a show I'm happy watching... If TBBT and Community were on the same channel and aired together Community would be huge probably and we'd be Team TBBT too even just for the ratings... If we have to bag the City College of all shows let's hate 2 And A Half Men... That show is by the same guy and I LOATHE that show to bits. TBBT is amazing compared to THAT...
Aaaand we're back. That was more like it :D #SixSeasonsAndAMovie
This was a decent episode, but the paintball episodes were far better in my mind. The interaction by group members was curbed far too much by the documentary style.
Weren't you on The Cape?

Made my night...#SIXSEASONSANDAMOVIE !!!
This episode was a masterpiece!

The best one to date! For those that didn't like it, I am sad that you can't see how wonderful this was. In a time that comedy sitcoms are all the same it is so nice to see something different, different and intelligent.

Thanks, Community, for bringing me so much joy!
I think some people saying that the episode wasn't funny are saying that because there weren't many stand alone jokes. The entire episode was a spoof, a fantastically executed spoof.

I have seen Ken Burns' "The Civil War"-which is a good documentary, by the way-and so this was just too much for me.

I was cracking up the entire time. This certainly stands as one of the best Community episodes ever: for its creativity and ability to perfectly straddle the line between ridiculousness and believability. Community truly does stand heads and shoulders above any other comedy on television.

It also brought to mind "Arrested Development", another fantastic comedy that no one watched. Both last week (turning blatant product placement into a joke, which was still funny this week) and this week (directly appealing to audience members to keep watching the show and save it from cancellation, without actually saying that).

#coolcoolcool #sixseasonsandamovie
Totally agree with you, sir!
I think people are getting severely blinkered in regards to this show.

Firstly, let me state that I am a huge fan of Community and I was gutted when this season's future was in doubt, but this episode just wasn't funny. I laughed once.

Emmy worthy? Ridiculous. The entire premise was stupid in a way that was, well, juvenile and nowhere close to previous well-constructed epics. (The paintball episodes spring to mind - far superior)

The episodes that have aired since it came back on the air have been weak, by the show's own high standards (well, the impressionists episode was quite good, "Even his shadow! Look at his shadow!") and I'm genuinely concerned for the show's future. Fanatical devotion is pointless if the quality is slipping. Seriously guys, don't be afraid to say it out loud - this episode sucked. Compare it to Advanced dungeons and Dragons, Celebrity Pharmicology, the paintball episodes, Remedial Chaos Theory, Paradigms of Human Memory,etc and tell me you honestly think this was on that level.

Pillow fights? What am I, like 12? How is that funny?

For shame Community. Here's hoping things pick up...
You say that this episode is juvenile. You know what else is juvenile? Thinking that your opinion is the only one that's right, and coming up with excuses for reasons why people disagree with you. And yes, this goes towards people who like this episode, and say that people who don't like it aren't "smart enough" to get it. It's opinions, people, everyone's allowed to have them, and if you use yours to try to attack others for theirs, you're the only one who you're making look bad. I can certainly see where you're coming from, but I disagree completely. I will admit, there are no episodes of Community that I dislike, but there are episodes I like a lot less than others, and this was not one of those episodes. You mentioned Remedial Chaos Theory and Paradigms of Human Memory, which are both fantastic episodes, and are very close to contenders for best of the season, but I do think this episode has a good chance of beating them. If not, it's very close. And is that really that bad? No, because it's an opinion. Disagree with it if you want, but you won't change my mind. And, for your point that people only like this episode because they have a kind of blind loyalty, I've actually seen people with a similar opinion as you, that the episodes since the return have been weak, but they love this episode. What do you say about them? Or hell, people who don't care for this season as a whole, but loved this episode, since there are people like that too. It doesn't sound like blind loyalty to me. So please, feel free to dislike this episode, and express those feelings all you like, but don't put down anybody who feels differently from you as being dumb or having blind loyalty. While there may be some people with a blind loyalty to the show, the majority of people just appreciate something you don't. And, again, this also goes to anybody who puts down people who don't like the episode for being "too dumb" to get it.
More +
How do I put down anyone not agreeing with me? At no point do I do that...

You keep repeating "what about these people's opinions?, etc" yet I'm just voicing my own strong opinion. Excuses for why people disagree with me? That's ridiculous. You're clearly an argumentative internet troll trying to pick a fight. Oh, and by the way - you also contadict yourself to prove my point: you state that everyone's allowed to have opinions and if you use yours to attck others you make yourself look bad. Yet right at the opening of your reply you call me juvenile for having my own opinion, thus attacking me.

At no point have I attacked, put down or otherwise been confrontationally disrespectful to or of others' opinions.

You're clearly just looking for a fight Hungry_Homo. (see what I did there? I bet you're gnashing your little 15 year old teeth in rage.)
But I didn't attack your opinion. In fact, I said that I could understand why you may feel that way, even though I disagree. It wasn't your opinion I was criticizing, since everybody's entitled to their own opinion, it was the way you expressed it, as if everybody who disagree is following a blind loyalty or have "ridiculous" opinions. But I'm sorry if you took it it for me attacking your opinion. I certainly didn't mean to get into an argument, so I'll end it here.
No, I wasn't calling your opinion juvenile. Your need to put down people's opinions, calling them "ridiculous," and saying that people who like this episode "are getting severely blinkered" about the show, as if your opinion is the only one that's the "correct" one is what I was calling juvenile. But I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond again, since I didn't want to even get into an argument, let alone continue it for so long... :|
You attacked my opinion by calling it juvenile. That's incredibly clear.

You seem confused.
You start off by saying people are getting blinkered in regards to the show, as if people who love the episode only do so because of a blind loyalty towards it. You say that the idea that this episode is Emmy worthy (clearly aimed at MrShotShot) is "ridiculous." So yes, you are putting people down. And I wasn't putting you down for your opinion. Hate this episode all you want, and state that hatred for all I care. I'd disagree, but you're entitled to your opinions, just like everybody else. It's just the way you state your opinion that annoys me. And like I said, this even goes towards people who agree that this is a great episode, but put people down for being too stupid to understand it. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I don't mean to be. It's just that I've seen a lot of people acting like their opinion is better than everybody else's, and it really annoys me.
Then don't sink to their level.

He who fights monsters, etc.
So, basically, you're not a documentary fan and didn't get it. Just say so.
Just because I didn't like it, doesn't immediately follow that I didn't get it. That's just rude and not exactly the most articulate expression of your overly-simplistic view.
Nope. It's not. You may have got it intellectually, but you didn't get it comedically. You, and apparently the other guy above, completely misunderstood what I meant by didn't get it.
And you are an internet douchebag hiding behing your anonymity. Get aids.
I like documentaries, but didn't like this episode, so those two things don't have anything to do with each other. the episode just wasn't that good, there have been worse, but this was nowhere near the best. there was only like 10 minutes of actual Community and the rest are just reading stuff which is not what this show is close to being about. it's like the actors wanted to take a vacation so the writers just threw in some stuff that could have easily been told in 5 minutes. the show is not a concept show, it's a comedy, and there were very few comedic elements in this episode.
Exactly my point. (Well, one of them.) Thank you.
That's a false dichotomy, like saying "That's not a sports car, it's a red car." Community is definitely a concept show and a comedy. It's a comedy where some of the episodes are concept episodes and some are gag episodes. I'd rather they were all concept episodes and you'd rather they were all gag episodes, apparently. I wouldn't say it was as good as a paintball episode or remedial chaos theory or paradigms of human memory or advanced dungeons and dragons, but its up there with Documentary Filmmaking: Redux and Critical Film Studies. Not every Community episode strikes a chord with every person, I just wish people would recognize that and stop pretending that it was less good from an objective point of view just because it didn't work for them personally, even though it clearly worked for a lot of other people. Most of Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking didn't appeal to me, but I recognize that's my problem because I personally hate mockumentaries.
Am I being aggressive? Because I'm pretty sure I'm just trying to bring you around to a healthy debate. If it comes off as aggressive, it's because that's the tone you started, attacking several posters and I haven't been successful in bringing you back to a rational discussion with the rest of us. Let me try to explain the analogy. Drama and Comedy are types of "genre". Concepts and Gags are more, what "methods" I suppose. You compared a genre and a method and implied that because a thing was one kind of genre it couldn't use one kind of method. You implied a mutual exclusion that doesn't exist, thereby creating a false dichotomy. Understand now?
Firstly, that wasn't a false dichotomy. It was nothing like your sports car analogy which made little sense in this context....

The point is that Community is first and foremost a comedy show. It will probably surprise you to learn that I loved both Critical Film Studies and Documentary Filmmaking: Redux. Yet this episode had barely any cast interaction, hardly any jokes at all and say what you will, but the whole pillow fight war was juvenile.

You're not open to opinions with which you don't agree as you clearly feel the need to agressively berate people for having them.

On some small level I pity you.
That's why Community is one the greatest comedies ever. There are times it becomes a concept show. Spoofs, parodies, satires, and not staying within the limits of what a prototypical comedy should be, is Community at its best. This episode is one of the all time greats for fans who appreciate watching something different.
An instant classic! I loved the Changlorious Bastards (and the voice over saying "i don't get it eather"), i loved Britta (and i almost never like her) and Jeff was lovely! Fantastic episode, or should i say Changtastic? (get it?)
Ehh, it was okay. Not many funny moments. Maybe I just didn't get this one.
You probably got it. It just wasn't very good.
My biggest laugh: "I'm giving you an all tomato." LOL
"Does anybody go to class?" LOL That was an awesome episode. I've never seen the documentary this was lampooning but I still loved it. If this show doesn't get a fourth season I say we attack NBC with an army of pillowmen!
There was so much to love about this episode. I have seen Civil War and loved the juxtaposition--instead of reading from letters and journals the characters quoted texts and facebook statuses. Genius! The part about North Hall, the South Wall, etc. was hilarious. I loved the tag, too, with the PBS-style pledge break.
Nothing on Britta?? one of the best parts of the whole thing
WAFFLES!
Once I googled Keith David I knew him. Everyone knows him. My favorite part of his, Something about Mary
I didn't dig this episode, I got what they were trying to do, and largely they did it well, but it didn't elicit laughs, it wasn't a funny or poigniant script and it didn't have many honest or clever moments (poor Keith David catching it from Jeff re: the cape at the end was hilarious though). It had a lot of little stuff, chuckle-worthy gags like the characters reading their text messages a la soldiers' letters ("Leonard likes this" was the best one), but the characters' stories all fell by the wayside to make this episode what it was. Every character was either a cheap cliche or a cliched twist, especially poor Britta who really got nothing out of this one.

You are right that it was a lot of "the same thing", I definitely don't see it up with any of the special episodes, didn't hold a candle to paintballs or the zombie episode though.
Brilliant episode but the real cherry on top was Keith David.

Having Admiral Anderson from Mass Effect series narrate an episode of Community was simply awesome.
Fantastic episode - Emmy caliber.
Emmy caliber? That's ridiculous.
Leonard Likes this post.
That was a great parody. i thought that it was done in the style of "band of brothers" since there were interviews with old war vets and also the style of the titles. definitely the best part for me were the changlourious basterds then pierce following up with the Pillow man
Leonard likes this post! Honestly the funniest part of the show. This episode was in a format I find myself less then a fan off. Yet community has this ability to talk go in areas that I love AND hate with the same outcome 98 % of the time. (which is a big smile! ) Leonard likes this post! though was this short joke inside of a joke. Abed giving an interesting speech which left us ( or me ) giggling & thinking at the same time. Then out of no where Leonard drops another one of his " where did that come from " lines AND I WAS IN STITCH'S.

"Pillows but no sleep, feathers but no birds. Pajamas without children, violence with no purpose. I saw mommy kissing Exxon Mobile." Amanda Johnson, poet by choice, lesbian by birth. second fav quote in this episode. words can not put into context how silly yet deep yet offense this quote was. I LOVED IT. Enough said

I'm really surprised you didn't mention the last minutes Tim. This site (tv.com) & you in particular have gone into great depth how much of a loss we would be hit with if NBC where to remove Community all together. When I was watching the donation drive there was a strong feeling that the bit was shot after the show went to hiatus. "Our show is this close to being shut.." cut to black. "we don't like doing these things. I'd rather be at home in the bath with my wife." The whole thing was silly, and not too direct. Yet I felt some very serious undertones which once again blew my mind. I say blew my mind because Community is one of the rare shows who will create what it wants to create, and not what it's told to create. They stick to their guns even if it means the show goes dark. It's scary, but I have so much respect for the writers. That last 2 minutes was a perfect example of why this show sets a new standard of open creativity.

Community at its best. That was enter-Chang-ment!
Lonard likes this post!!! awesome

Also, the thing about photographerrs thinking any picture in black and white looks great, and Britta being especially sucky at artsy photography had me laughing like the idiot I am
I thought this episode was pure brilliance! I enjoy how Harmon sneaks character development in the middle of these crazy concept episodes. While you are being distracted by all the action, the characters are actually developing more. In this episode we see him continuing with the arc on Abed and Troy's friendship and him furthering his exploration of Jeff's role in the group. Loved that Jeff went to get the imaginary hats, loved Britta's failed attempt at photography, loved Annie as the nurse.

And stylistically it was perfect. I am a huge fan of Ken Burns and this episode nailed his techniques perfectly. From the black and white stills, to the use of battled maps, to the quote at the beginning by Olver Wendell Holmes, LMAO. And the end tag with Troy and Abed as phone operators in a spoof of the PBS pledge drive was hysterical.
Abed was definitely emoting a lot in this episode.

- Rolling his eyes at Pierce when he came to him with his "idea"

- Pure anger / fury during his attacks

- Even in the previous episode, he smiled a little when he said "too be continued"

I'm generally in the same group as nexpose (commenter below) in that I also typically prefer season 1 of Community than the show that has developed since then. However, it's insane how often I laughed during this episode. It was MAGNIFICENT. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Ken Burns' documentary(ies) but I do feel like I've seen similar ones, and I loved how Community portrayed their flaws with silliness. Chevy as the 'Iron Man + Marshmallow Man' was awesome. The overall pacing, directing, and editing of this episode was fantastic.

And don't worry, Troy. I also get distracted by boobs.
Don't we all.
Everyone of the study group was cast in the perfect role for them.

I loved Britta's awful pictures and Annie as a nurse.
I have to wonder if Chevy / Pierce is getting ready to leave. He's not on much anymore. He had the scene where he talked to Abed about the designs... and then (PERHAPS) the scenes with him inside the pillow suit. Though I wouldn't be surprised if PillowMan was just some extra and they dubbed in his voices.
I enjoyed it, while not as zany as the Paintball eps it was still solid.
amazingly done! please keep the show alive for another season!
My biggest laugh was Troy and Abed miming as Jeff put their friendship hats back on at the end. Physical comedy at its best.
Their little smiles really got to me.
Yeah!! This was THE episode I've been waiting for since it came back!!

Favorite jokes: Leonard was a veteran of the Korean War - for the North Korean Army (whaa?!)

And Pierce's Pillow-Man blueprint had a fleeting caption indicating generous space in the crotch area (gross as usual).

They better have something real epic for the finale, because this one is just AWESOME!
Did you hear Dean Pelton yell, "Jeffery, find me!" during the initial study room kurfuffle?`

That was hilarious.
Just as incredible was one of the Changlorious Bastards repeatedly screaming "I'm a legitimate son!" as he wailed on Pillow Pierce at the end.
Is Community the best comedy currently on television? ....

That's no longer the question.

The question has become, is Community the best comedy EVER?!
There question isn't IF it is the best comedy ever...but WHEN?

(And the answer is, always.)
Yeah, it was too much of the same thing. I loved it, but it got draggy in the last 5.
This episode was great, definitely one of my top favourites and I was sort of worried because I didn't really like the last episode. I think they really need to be watched together as seeing TandA like that at the end of the episode was almost heartbreaking, their friendship is the best.

I got that this was a history-channel esque documentary so I did get the humour this time, thought the My Dinner With Andre episode was mostly lost on me.

Some of my favourite moments this episode were the Changlorious Basterds, the pillow man, Britta's totally-crap photography skills, Shirley's mad pillow skills on the battlefield, does anyone ever go to class? and when Jeff went and got the crumpled, dirty friendship hats for Troy and Abed. Oh and just Troy and Abed reuniting in general, those two are the best.
Maybe I'm odd, but I've never seen the Civil War documentary you mentioned, but I still loved this one. The same is true for the My Dinner with Andre episode, and a few other references. Even without watching the documentary, I couldn't help appreciating the style they used, and how well they integrated the jokes and emotional depth of the story. As a huge Troy and Abed fan, I couldn't help loving how this episode dealt with their friendship. It was so sad seeing them fight like this, but that only goes to show how much we've come to care about the characters, and how mature the writing can be in between the laughs. I also liked the Jeff/Annie story, which kind of goes along with their story from last week. I especially loved how Jeff got so into helping Troy and Abed that he actually went to get the imaginary hats. It was so cute. :P Anyway, I'm sure that I'd get more out of this episode if I had actually seen the Civil War documentary it was referencing, but even without that, I thought it was a briliant episode, and probably the best of the season. Hopefully we'll get a few more episodes this good between now and the end of the season.
I loved Troy and Abed's pledge drive at the end. It was so hilariously accurate!
This was great. This is the reason why I am such a fan of this show. This is the best comedy on tv. I am not sure I can adequately articulate how much I enjoyed this episode. I have seen Ken Burn's Civil War and having watched it does make it better. It was too funny. But not just that, the silliness of Brita's war photographer, the end with Abed and Troy's PBS bit. It was great. The thing that really put me over and made me laugh hard was Jeff's comment about Keith David being in The Cape. I might have to put this as my top Community episode.
Leonard likes this post!
Yes! That Cape bit was hilarious.
I love this show. like LOVE it.. but I did not like this episode.. the mock History Channel documentary aspect got really annoying really fast... I liked this even less than the claymation Christmas episode..

however, the part about North Cafeteria being in the west of campus or whatever it was was pretty funny.. and the end voiceover where Joel/Jeff was like "were you on The Cape?" was also funny because of the whole six seasons and a movie thing
Agreed. I love the show too, but this was childish and weak. Where were the laughs? People are just blindly defending anything to do with the show now which is stupid. It's very good, but it's not flawless.
You're welcome to your opinion but I'm sorry, but those two episodes are key episodes for community as a concept. they are what make the show unique and original and thus one of the best, if not THE best shows on tv.
What?! How can you LOVE Community and NOT like this episode? It's clearly one of their all time greats. And I thought the mock History Channel angle was brilliantly executed. You not liking this episode is like an hour's drive away from being streets behind.

You didn't like this episode AND the claymation one? Wow, they're 2 of my all time Community favourites...
Same...
Keith David is awesome.
He is!! Oh Admiral Anderson, I would know your voice anywhere.
I wasn't sure this was a spoof on the Ken Burn's Civil War but knew it was something History Channel-esque so I got the point. It's true though since I never saw My Dinner With Andre that I didn't quite get that spoof. In turn it was an ep. I didn't like so for sure it's worthwhile to see these originals they spoof on.

It's my mantra with Community and I loved how Dean Pelton said, "doesn't anyone take classes?" haha. Love the ingenuity always but no matter how original they get, Season 1 which had classroom situations and school based situations always was the best by far to me.

The part about North Cafeteria being named from a General North was funny.