Community: The Power of Imagination

Community S03E16: "Virtual Systems Analysis"

Those who hate Community (we like to call them idiots...kidding! Opinions and stuff...) have a common complaint: "The show tries too hard." Whatever that means. But with last night's "Virtual Systems Analysis," I can kind of see what they're saying. I know, I know. I'm a huge jerk, etc., etc.

The episode revolved around Annie setting Troy and Britta up on a date to Senor Kevin's Mexican restaurant (haha!)—the one with the cage-free burritos (haha!)—and Annie and Abed spent the day in the Dreamatorium, where total effects-heavy insanity ensued. Despite the silly situations created by the Dreamatorium, it was a very mature peek into Abed's mind and Annie's attempt to understand him.

"Virtual Systems Analysis" is already being labeled as one of the series' weirdest episodes, and with good reason. Using the Dreamatorium and the power of their imaginations, Abed and Annie each played several different characters from the show in weird situations. But their new "worlds" were mostly limited to Abed's view of them, because introvert Abed struggles with empathy and seeing the big picture. The first situation saw Abed reenacting Troy and Britta's date with just a hint of Abed's jealousy mixed in, and it was fantastic. The tracers from Abed moving back and forth from character to character, as well as the audio mixing where Danny Pudi's voice started the sentence before Donald Glover's or Gillian Jacobs' finished it, were awesome touches. At first, "Virtual Systems Analysis" had all the makings of a legendary episode.

But after that promising start, I thought the different scenarios began to feel repetitive and meandering, and I got all sad and because I felt like a great opportunity had been squandered. And for the first time, I slightly understood what those idiots mentioned above mean when they say Community "tries too hard." I don't think that's the right phrase, because the thing I like most about Community is that it DOES try harder than any other comedy out there, and often with fantastic results.

But "Virtual Systems Analysis" focused too much of its energy on the Dreamatorium concept for my taste, and failed to be what I watch Community for in the first place: funny. In justifying her own attempt to match-make Troy and Britta and potentially break up Troybed, Annie basically tried to change Abed's way of thinking. But do we want Abed to change? And can Abed really change, even though at the end he claimed to use a new superpower call empathy? Abed's been a bit of a prickly character this season. His quirkiness has given way to stubbornness and, at times, arrogance.

All that said, let's not over-analyze this too much. I love Community when it's weird, and I love Community when it's cute. I appreciated the ambition of "Virtual Systems Analysis," but this show has definitely done weird and cute, both individually and at the same time, a lot better than it did this week. Maybe some of you out there liked it a lot more than I did—regardless, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

Study Group Notes

– Okay, if this Troy and Britta thing is going to work, Community needs to show us why it should work. So far, all we have to go on are a few wayward glances and a mysterious text message. Right now the problem with their "relationship" and its effect on the show is that it has totally neutered both characters. Yep, it's cut off their funny balls. In my book, Troy and Britta are the funniest characters on the show, and right now they're being relegated to acting like nervous schoolchildren. When Abed heard that Annie set Troy and Britta up on a date, he said, "I'm mad at you because you tampered with the fabric of the group. How do you know Troy and Britta pairing up wouldn't destroy everything?" So far, he's right.

– Dean Pelton continues to be hilarious, and his good-news-bad-news costume might be his best yet. Jim Rash should be thrown in prison for stealing scenes.

– Technically speaking, this episode was incredible. Community has been on a roll with its post-production work, and this might be the most impressive of the bunch.

– Hold on, let me try something... "Execute simulation Tim in loin cloth/Annie in lingerie." *hopeful pause* Damn, didn't work.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

When Community does a mock-meme episode, they go all out. Season 3 has been very special for me, because the writers do such a superb handling each episode's grandiosity. When Community does this, comedy may take a back seat, but its brilliant. I can't help but just marvel at my TV screen, like its magic.
The whole episode for me just fell flat. Part of the problem with grandiose episodes is that they can sometimes interrupt the non-stop humor I love from the show. Season 1, after it found its footing, is still some of the best television in history. It was grounded, it didn't try to do unnecessarily outlandish situations, but it was insanely well written and acted and that's why I tuned in. True, some of my favorite episodes are from Season 2 and more "concept" - the bottle episode, the flashback episode, the conspiracy theory episode - but even those didn't go way out there. I think this episode just went to far and lacked humor. Probably my least favorite Community episode ever. But still alright.

And remember when they WENT TO SCHOOL? And interacted with OTHER PEOPLE? Those were good times.
I honestly enjoyed it.

I like the direction it went in, personally, and whilst it wasn't the funniest episode, Community has never been JUST a comedy.
And I forgot to say that Jim Rash is simply smashing! He'd upstage anyone! LOL!
And I forgot to say that Jim Rash is simply smashing! He'd upstage anyone! LOL!
I liked the episode! I agree it wasn't as cute or as funny as others...

I very much enjoyed the Doctor Who parody bits! (That's because I'm nuts about the Doctor I guess...)

Loved the Troy & Abed in the morning with their guest LOL!
not exactly sure why, but annie got even hoter...
But, girls are hotter in pajamas than lingerie, anyway.
I'm ashamed to say I got bored and turned it off, first time that's happend.
I really enjoyed this episode, could be my embarrassing love of Star Trek/Doctor Who as a 30 year old man or that Abed's character is the main reason ive watched the show from the season 1. But after reading Tim and other people's reviews i have mixed feelings. I can understand what Tim is putting forth by this episode being an example of when people say community is to "try hard" but i think there is another side to this. Although the show remains to flounder in the ratings its still is one of the most talked about shows on TV Forums. And yea, its pretty cleaver to slowly weave a joke into your show that takes 3 seasons to play out (i.e: Bettlejuice joke) but now that the majority of Community viewers are in on these type of jokes I believe the writers are feeling compelled to do stuff like "Virtual Systems Analysis." Because of the abundance of fans dissecting each episode its in this fans humble opinion that the writers feel almost obligated to deliver these high concept shows. I think what is important here is to remember the law of diminishing returns upon expectations. With Season 1 most people had little to no expectations of "Community" and as new viewers become repeat viewers and then fans, we as fans tend to put expectations on things we are fanatic about. The bottom line is if one remains humble and open minded as they did when first approaching something new, they are less likely to place higher expectations when that something becomes old.
The high concept ramblings of a show that is coming to the end. When they do stuff like the one with the die and all the different versions of what happened it's good, when they try and pretend that Abed has a holodeck it's ridiculous. Just because it's Community and they do a high concept episode doesn't mean it's good. When people look at this show in retrospect they will realise it has it's failings and that's why it will be cancelled it's not just because the network is mean.
The episode worked... but that's also why it bothers me a little. I'm just gonna point out why Abed didn't work out for me in this episode. I remember that episode when Abed points out to the whole gang that "Sometimes, if you know who you are, changing bits of yourself for others is not a big deal." To me Abed's character showes a hidden maturity that breaks stereotyping and it shows in other episodes... this episode made it feel like he had too much of child's personality... which he does... which also makes him great... but this time I didn't feel the maturity. It just felt like he was a Grown, smart, child being taught a lesson by his mommy.
This episode, like many in Community's third season, left me grinning ear to ear because of the writers' boldness and imagination, but less than satisfied in the laughs department. Remember season two, when it was weird AND hilarious? I'm afraid its lack of viewership is to blame for their desperation to stand out.
Tim, you rascal, of course the simulation won't work, I am executing my own right now.

Also is it me or Annie just likes jeff ( even after all the hints of the season) and digs Abed as well, in a vampire diaries damon-helena-stefan way?
I understand that people will have differing views on this episode. But if there is one thing that can be said about it, it's the uniqueness. None of the other run-of-the-mill comedies out there would do an episode like this! And that is why my points go to Community. When I watched the episode I couldn't help but thinking (once again) how creative Community is compared to other shows.
I loved this episode. It was great to finally see the dreamatorium in action. I loved it when Troy got injected with the truth serum and when Annie had to turn into Abed to find him. Awesome ep.
I agree with Tim that the episode started off REALLY strong and then just sort of...lost something after a while. I think that's spot on analysis. I still liked it better than a few early season episodes I feel badly missed the mark, but it was pretty weak. Overall probably right around the top of the bottom third of episodes all time.
Loved the episode. At first I was nervous because it was reeeally getting weird, but then it got deep. Plus an episode centered around Allison Brie can't do much wrong.
I understand what you say, I don't want Abed to cange neither, but you can blame Annie for trying it, she just doing what she thinks is the best for him.

I like Britta and Troy!
I thought this was one of the best episodes of the entire series. People, don't listen to this man just because he has a position and you don't.
For me it's impossible not to enjoy an Annie centered episode :)

I also loved Abeds version of Troy ("I don't get Inception"). And it was nice to finally see the full potential of the Dreamatorium for once, not just the aftermath.

But some of you seem to compare each episode with their best episodes, and expect each episode to be that good. It's impossible to have 22 episodes like 'Remedial Chaos Theory' per season. You have to remember it's a TV show and they don't have infinite time (and money).
I really liked season 1. I kinda liked season 2. Now the show turned into "The quirky Abed's emotional soap opera and his enabling friends who sometimes say funny things show"

I think this was the worst episode ever. I stopped watching after 10 minutes of scratching my head and asking myself "what the hell is this?" "where the humour?" "why is there so much Abed and why is he turning into Urkel 2012?"

And I was a big fan. 2 years ago I thought this was the funniest new comedy of the season. Now it's just a bland, shark jumping, humorless cluster****.
I completely agree. I remember season 1 and 2 being genuinely funny and entertaining week in, week out. While never in the same league as Its always Sunny it was competitive with Parks.

Parks has grown immensly after its tentative first season, particularly in terms of how fully developed the characters have become as individuals and as a collective. I feel sad when each episode ends because I want to spend more time with the characters. I find myself laughing out load during parks at even the small things because the jokes feel like they are developed naturally from real people I know and like.

With community the characters are still paper thin 2d objects lacking any real substance. That was fine for two seasons because what made it work was that the group itself had personality. Just as important, Jeff, and to a lesser extent Annie, kept it grounded in reality. They were characters I could relate to because they were normal. This allowed the show to revel in the weird side of weird without simply overstepping the line and becoming weird for its own sake.

To me, the moment community overstepped that line was when Annie moved in with Troy and Abed since this initiated a change of focus for the show, from Greendale to their flat. While neither Troy nor Abed were favourites of mine, they have quickly become dislikable. Where their weird behaviour was once a likable quirk of the show, in making it the focus the show has lost any sense of reality it once had. Now the comedy is transparently forced, like 30 Rock now. It is too difficult to relate to the characters. Perhaps worse for the show, the sense of group has become fragmented not least by this attempt to make every episode more bizzare than the last.

I sort of missed community when it was dropped from the schedule but, having watched the couple of episodes since its return, I now realise that I shouldn't have. Sad to say, because I did really like community at one point, the sooner the show finishes the better. Until then, I will keep watching because it is part of my friday night comedy routine - the warmup before Parks and Rec.
More +
I never had the impression that they were 'trying to hard' during this episode (and I HATE that turn of phrase). I thought this was a strong episode, MUCH better than last week, but had a few issues for me that have been recurring throughout Season 3.

It had a great high concept idea but the execution didn't nail it. I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment. I didn't find it repetitive, I loved the plot twists in the dreamatorium and the impersonations. It might be that Abed's been less relatable lately than in prior Abed centric episodes.

I might be alone in this but I don't think the Dean as a major character has worked and I didn't enjoy his scene in this episode. I much prefer him to be an organic part of the story than yet another 'walk in with a silly costume bit'. You have to realise that outside of Paradigms of Human Memory the Dean in prior seasons was used more subtlely and in my opinion better. The same could be said of Chang to a lesser extent, as his best content was Season 1 when he was more of a real person. But Chang's scenes this year have been far better than the Dean's.

I've probably said it before but I am SO SICK of Inspector Spacetime and I think that whole motif is alienating Abed because he's been fixated on this obscure cliched parody instead of the general tv/movie culture obsession he's had previously that made him more relatable. Inspector Spacetime diminishes Abed because it's clearly nothing more than a weak parody. However the climax was probably as good as any Inspector Spacetime content could be.

I really appreciated the fleshed out role Annie had in this episode, I think she's been seriously neglected this year. And all comments of her beauty do her no justice. This episode provided some much needed character attention to Annie and Abed and I applaud it for that. I also found the episode to be funny, though probably not one of the funniest episodes of the series.
The Dean did have a couple of great moments this season- the entire episode where he directs a commercial, when he blackmailed Jeff into spending the day with him, and honestly, I've seen Chang as more of a prop this season than a character. He drops in randomly, and I think it's primarily to fulfill contract obligations.
Good point, you've mentioned the Dean's best moments that I also liked but most of his appearances seem to be forced into the episodes just to give him screen time.
I agree Chang was best in season 1, but I still think he's bad this season. And I liked that they took a moment to acknowledge how ridiculous the Dean has become. Maybe the moment of self-awareness was want he needed to become the character you want him to be.
I really liked this episode.

However, I do agree with Tim about the promising start. Despite liking it overall, I liked the concept of the episode a lot more than what the episode was as a whole. Based on the first 10 minutes or so -- mostly the amazing effects brought on by the Dreamatorium -- I thought "Virtual Systems Analysis" could have been epic and one of the best episodes yet. But after a few scenes of that, it kind of tailed off.
I thought this was a great episode. It may not have been as funny as other eps but it was still good. I loved when Troy got injected with truth serum lol.
I'll admit, Troy's Inception confession was my biggest laugh of the episode.
if I'd written this column, the last two lines would've been, "Bridge, beam Lt. Edison directly to my quarters, and then erect a level-10 force field around it until further notice. Oh - and then, go to warp nine-point-nine immediately. Wait - and if Starfleet Command calls, take a message. Stop - one last thing ... call Chef, and have him prepare a meal for two; beef brisket, corn on the cob, apple pie, and a carafe of Mountain Dew."

*hopeful pause* Dammit!!!

Seriously, though .... I thought this episode was excellent because of two main reasons: we got to see ANNIE'S care and empathy for ABED, and the beginning (hopefully) that DOESN'T focus on Annie and Jeff all of the time!! I think Troy and Britta make a lot of sense as a couple, because they are both free spirits that also offer most of the adult anchors in the group (other than mother-hen Shirley). Why WOULDN'T they be good together? After their joint performance in the dance routine, it's obvious they like each other a LOT. So, why not?

Again ... we're kinda tired of the Annie/Jeff thing!
i am so relieved that im not the only who thought this episode sucked. ussually ill think a communnity episode is too weird to be good, then ill come on this site the next day and every1 is raving about how good it was.
Also, something I didn't really think about until now, but this was the first episode to really call out Abed for claiming to be able to predict what everybody will do at all times. It's cute sometimes, but the show has overused it and let it be accurate too long, especially as they've been writing him more and more autistic-like lately, more broken and less able to connect to others - how is he supposed to be able to so accurately predict his friends (and 50% on Chang) if he doesn't understand what drives them? This episode called BS on that, and good for them for not letting a show cliche stay untouched.
Keep these comments coming, everything you say is 100% true. Awesome stuff.
Sorry, but not everything he wrote is true.

See Debate 109.

Abed: I'm not a witch, I'm a student of human character. I know you guys all so well I can predict your behavior. Like Shirley - I know you're a sweet, Christian, generous person.

Shirley & Abed: Oh, that's nice!

Abed: I also know you have thinly veiled rage issues.

Shirley & Abed: Careful, boy.
Abed studies human behaviour enough to predict someone's immediate reaction, but that doesn't cover the gamut of human interaction. What works as a gag doesn't hold as a sustainable character trait. Your Shirley example is perfect because it shows that Abed reads her like a character on a page rather than a real person, she's nothing more than a list of adjectives that makes her predictable. He sees her and the group in general as characters in a sitcom, but the deeper you make these characters, the more you risk making Abed a demigod, giving him powers that don't fit the show because he's right all the time. Or do what this episode did and reveal that as a flaw in his character, that he is a weird genius but he overreaches sometimes and it makes for bad assumptions about people on his part.
Since I'm not too bright I need things spelled out. Does your comment show that Abed was making incorrect predictions because they sure as hell seem correct to me.
J.T wrote there wasn't an episode to "really call out Abed for claiming to be able to predict what everybody will do at all times" until this one.

This is wrong.

In the 9th episode of the 1st season titled, "Debate 109", Abed made a film that correctly predicted everyone's actions. That is why Shirley referred to him as a Witch.

I can't possibly be any more clear than that.
So the Debate episode reference was to Shirley calling out Abed? And that contradicts James Tiberius? If that's what FF meant then I don't agree because Abed's predictions were right in that episode and no one established his predictions were inaccurate. So this episode was the first to show that Abed's not as good as predicting as he thinks he is. Or I might have misinterpreted yet again, waiting for someone to set me straight.
He was calling out JT_Kirk.
No my brain obviously can't handle complex thought. I just see Abed correctly predicting what Shirley would say twice in a row. Maybe I can get a reverse-lobotomy.
"Also, something I didn't really think about until now, but this was the first episode to really call out Abed for claiming to be able to predict what everybody will do at all times."

I was trying to show the incorrectness of this statement.
Still think they could use chevy and chang abit more than 30 seconds per ep. Such good actors, so little love in the scripts
Good point.
This episode was probably trying too hard, but it owns it real early when it has Dean Pelton call himself out on his outfit, so I can understand and forgive. The writing between Annie and Abed was fantastic, and the way the conceptually achieved it worked so much better than it seemed like it was going to. I'd love to have a look at the exact same episode done without the extra actors and the special effects, just Annie and Abed inside a bedroom painted to look like a holodeck as Annie slowly becomes entirely engaged inside Abed's imagination. I felt like the comedy was there, it just was so heavily based on knowing the characters that it required the viewer to do the foundation work - it was an episode for the existing audience, not newcomers and dabblers. That said, I cannot imagine any long-time viewer not laughing and enjoying this episode, that surprises me to hear as I felt it was one of the high-concept episodes that hit the sweet spot between "overblown event episode" and "ironic small-played high-concept episode".
Yes, that's something I felt. Danny Pudi is a terrific impersonator and I'd like to have seen how Abed would have impersonated all of his friends. In a way we were robbed of that. But I did enjoy the episode anyway.
Yes. Great comment. And seeing the episode again without extra actors and effects would mirror the glimpse of Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas without claymation that we got in Paradigms of Human Memory. I would love that.
This ep. is great since we were finally able to see the Dream-atorium in full effect. I've come down hard on some over the top eps. but this one really was good for me. Although I'm bias since it had lots of Annie. :P

Jim Rash as Dean Pelton is beyond amazing. The way he dresses up doesn't make me laugh as much as what he says and how he acts it all out. He's definitely the one where I've literally laughed out loud.

Lately, Jeff hasn't been as upfront in his leader role taking the reigns but there's always been too much Jeff so it's a nice balance.

I feel Community has been going a bit Troy / Abed overload. And if this great show gets to Season 4, make Chang be consistent in something. Spanish teacher to wannabe group member and now to Security Guard. I want more classroom again anyway so somehow get him back teaching? Whatever works to keep community on the air. :D
loved it and thought it was funny!
I watched, liked it, read the article, watched it again to check my sanity, still liked it. I agree with myself, therefore Tim's opinion is not valid.
Loved it and even tho this was not one of the funnier ones this gave me something else, easily one of my top 10 eps.

Also having seen every ep. atleast 5 times (including this one.. no joke!) and having been able to restrain my emotions, this episode resulted in me falling in love with Alison, what im trying to say is, sorry guys but im gonna have to marry that girl... and I, much like sober Jeff and Britta, don't even believe in marriage!
Get in line, dude. I'm #12,573 out of 678, 934, 021 in the marriage proposal queue. Didn't you get the "I want to marry Alison Brie Club" memo?
I'm swedish so i'm kinda feed up with the whole que-system (in case you did'nt know we rock at standing in line...) plus im kinda hot, soo in short that club might aswell be canceld since im now in the race for her affection!
Swedish hubris. I like it!
Aww i was expecting something along the lines of "Swedish dog" or "You're basicly fins!" ;D

I haven't been on the same page with the last few reviews about Community and this one is no exception. I guess it just really shows that all of us Community nuts love different things about the show. I LOVED this episode because it felt oldschool: There was some on and off campus time, some pretend studying, some googly eyes, some Chang und some hilarious Dean. I was literally laughing till I cried within the first two minutes of the episode (Dualidean!) and that had not happened in a long time (last time was the burning troll). I liked the whole dreamatorium thing and it wasn't too much for my taste!
I really loved the episode, Community can do no wrong in my book!
I don't want to see a troy & britta relationship, jusst sounds like a terrible idea to me, although I don't understand, you think Britta's the funniest character on the show? I think she's the least funny character on the show, her acting is terrible, a whole level of acting under everyone else on the show
I thought this episode was BRILLIANT and Pudi deserves an Emmy for it.
Yea Tim probably just had the episode on mute. I'll forgive him... This time.
I loved this episode. It was an imaginative way of giving us an inside to Abed's personality. The way they handled the lesson of Empathy was great, at least I thought it was. It was one of the episodes that really allowed for a development of, as it happens, two of my favourite characters, Annie and Abed.

So in my opinion this was one of the best episodes of community.
I must disagree Tim. I thought the episode was great, I lost it when troy had that whole rant, "I didn't get inception!!" Please don't make me use comparisons to hitler to win this internet argument. Actually the only thing that sucks about Community is that its fans have very high expectations every week, and when an episode doesn't completely deliver, we can't help but be critical, and as a tv.com writer you kind of don't have a choice. But for us regular folk try to bring the expectations down a notch, you'd be surprise how much more you'll enjoy the show.
Abed is my favorite character. Ever. He express each and everyone one of us tv addicts
I believe that last week you saying something about Community not falling into how regular sitcoms explore relationship and it delivers an episode that delves into relationship like no other show ever has? Was it funny? not particularly, but it is what you wanted. Kudos as always to Community for trailblazing their own comedic path.
I'm not so sure what too say about this one. When I read the summary I was expecting what it said...an Abed episode, and we all know that Abed's episodes are pretty awesome (the Christmas episode being one) however, I'm not too sure what else to think about this other than....hmm. Seriously, the episode left me in thought...I liked it...buuuut I didn't. I think this was a great "tie in" episode that technically doesn't follow the story but explains everything that is going on that we as viewers may have missed.
To be honest, I felt that this episode and last week's episode were two of the best episodes of the season. They felt more like the older episodes of Community unlike the Subway and pillow war episodes.
Tim ... I ... ah ... um ... actually agree with you (WOW! That was hard to get out). Count me amongst the idiot jerks, because I'm not a huge fan of this episode.

*Curls into fetal position*

Hmmm. No lightning bolts.

I never wanted to EVER start a sentence like this, but here it goes:

I LOVE Community, love it, and I've defended almost every episode people have found a reason not to like, but I was disappointed this time. My reason for always defending Community was simple; it always made me laugh. This episode just ... didn't.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

Tim is right, it WAS technically awesome and spectacularly weird. Community is daring enough to try new things and strives to be more than just your average 22 minute comedy. I liked the whole premise with the dreamatorium, delving into the relationship dynamics of the group (especially with Annie's feelings toward Jeff), learning more about what makes Abed tick, but I didn't laugh much (other than with Jim Rash's scene-stealing-sensationalism).

Don't get me wrong, any episode of Community is still better than almost every other Comedy on TV. And I've always hated the people that put Community up on a pedestal and expect it to be great every single time. The concept was imaginatively original and I enjoyed watching it, but usually Community can be insightful AND funny at the same time.

There's no denying the intelligence of the writing here. It was a smart look into Abed's place in the group and metaphorically heavy. We learned a lot about Annie, too.

Maybe an episode like this was necessary, but the study group exposition did distract from the funny ...

This sucks. I'm in the unenviable position of criticizing one of Community's higher concept episodes. Please, don't judge me.

*Hangs head in shame*

P.S. I didn't think it was possible for Alison Brie to be any hotter, but that sexy British accent proved me wrong.
"P.S. I didn't think it was possible for Alison Brie to be any hotter, but that sexy British accent proved me wrong"

Ms. Brie's sexiness reached an unassailable high in this season's Christmas episode, during her song, "teach me about Christmas".

"Boop, boop, a doop. Sex!"

Haha! Touche.
Oh, wow! Someone actually "Liked" my comment!

Unexpected.
Sexy British accent? God there must be something wrong with your speakers or mine... but im pretty sure it's yours, then again i spilled coke on mine... but yea, no defiantly yours
I actually thought Annie's accent was much better than Abed's.
are u kidding me? (pause for effect) Danny's half polish half indian in real life.. im surprised he speaks American English let alone a messed up British one
lol it's all coming back to me btw remember that episode when abed was running and i think he beat troy in a race, god, Abed; owner of the world's weirdest run
Sooooooo cute! Can you believe he's a marathon runner?
omg and his wife gave birth to twins on January 2012... im a guy and im not afraid to say it... HOW CUTE would Danny twins look (not that cute) but it's the idea that Danny has twin babies is cute
Don't forget he won the Chris Farley Scholarship. That's essential Wiki-knowledge.
lol i can't reply on ur comment anymore but yes wikipedia has defeated me once again in an argument.... but then again visiting the website ive learned that he attended "Notre Dame College" and probably made sweet sweet love with "Esmeralda" im going off topic but that is some awesome/not really awesome trivia..
He was born and raised in Chicago, though.
You shouldn't feel ashamed for having an opinion. It is one that I strongly disagree with (there were a bunch of moments that I found really funny like "Kevin Pleas Come Over For Gay Sex," Troy and Britta "kissing," the Dean's costume, and Annie hitting Abed just to nmae a few), but not everybody will love the same thing. The only wrong opinions are those based on factually wrong statements, like if somebody said "I didn't like this episode because Abed died."
Staff
Hey Hungry, I loved all those specific moments you just mentioned. And FF, yikes! Are you feeling okay? Agreeing with me? But I feel your pain, I hate critiquing a show I love so much. But this was definitely a love it or don't love it episode. Like I said, I love the technical aspects of it and the risk they took, but it didn't work for me. Does it make me hate the show? Not at all, in fact, it doesn't change my opinion about it (I love it!) at all.
It's not hard to agree with you, Tim. I like your reviewing style and your opinion usually closely mirrors mine. But agreeing with you about not particularly liking an episode of Community was damn near tortuous.

I guess it's similar to some people not caring for the pillow fight episode. Personally, I thought it was one of their best, but not everybody saw it that way. Like you wrote, "Opinions and stuff..."

I definitely didn't expect to make any friends with my post. Now I just can't wait until next week when I can hopefully gush about Community's unparalleled awesomeness again.
I wouldn't quite say that this was one of my favorite episodes, but it was up there. This episode had pretty much all the elements that make me love Community rolled into one. Great comedy, interesting concept that stretches the boundaries of sit-coms (in this case a holodeck episode with Doctor Who references towards the beginning and end), interesting character development and interactions (especially Annie and Abed in his many forms), and it even showed that this show isn't afraid to go into dark, dramatic territories when it wants to. I loved seeing the world according to Abed, and I loved the way the actors portrayed Abed acting as their characters. I was especially impressed by Joel McHale's version of Abed. I do see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. Also, while I respect your opinion about the episode as a whole, and certain aspects of it, I will say this: Before this episode, we've had Troy and Britta flirting with each other now and then, and obviously last week Troy's feelings were emphasized a bit more than usual. However, we've only seen them together officially for this one episode, and only for a very small percentage of the episode. The rest of the time was spent with two characters, and versions of the other characters from Abed's minds. I honestly don't see how that can warrant such a strong reaction against the relationship. If the relationship continues past this episode, and you still feel that way, then I'll understand, but for now it seems a bit premature to me.
I remember reading somewhere Danny Pudi said it would be fun to have each character a villain of sorts each season. That would be interesting. This episode was confusing at first, but upon second viewing I loved it as I normally do. I think this is the episode that needs to be submitted for Emmy considerations for Pudi, Donald Glover and Jim Rash. I think Rash would get a nom just so Emmy can ride the Jim Rash Train.
It was a bit too weird for me. I liked the end tag best, my first real laugh in the episode. Maybe that will convince me to re-watch this one.
Might be weird because Community is a comedy. But I don't watch it for the laughs, I watch it for the characters and the relationships between the people within the study group and I suppose that's why I liked this episode. Abed is a great character, and it was intriguing to see him bond with Annie which, as far as I remember it, hasn't happened before in the show. This episode brought us inside Abed's mind, which is always a fun place to be.
Staff
I think that's a totally legitimate way to watch the show, for the characters. And indeed the characters are fantastic. I can appreciate this too, but in the end I don't feel like I learned more about Annie or Abed than I already knew.
actually looking back at the series they never do give us Annie's view of things though we can clearly establish that she's as much of a control freak as Abed (but then again i don't quite recall abed being a control freak before season 3) but personally i do think your opinion is valid
for people who haven't "bonded" they sure as hell had the best kissing scene in the show so far... <3
True enough ;) Loved that scene. Although somehow, probably because Abed was in character at the time, it didn't feel like it was truly Abed and Annie kissing. In the end of this episode though, with Abed "learning empathy" from Annie, they were actually bonding as themselves. I'd say that was a far more real and important development between the characters than in earlier scenes.
Load More Comments