Continuum Has Been Renewed for a Shortened Final Season

After several months of no communication regarding Continuum's fate, it seems that the onset of the holiday season has put Canadian TV network Showcase in a giving mood! The sci-fi drama, which stars Rachel Nichols as a cop from the year 2077 who time-travels back to the present day, had been renewed for a fourth season that's scheduled to air in 2015. Nichols confirmed the news on Twitter on Monday evening. As it's done in the past, Syfy will import the drama for American audiences.

Unfortunately, with the good news also comes some bad news: Continuum's upcoming fourth season will not only be shortened to six episodes, it will also be the show's last. For fans who are disappointed by this news, Nichols feels your pain, but is choosing to focus on the silver lining of the situation: "Yes, the words LAST SEASON and ONLY SIX EPISODES are a disappointment to many," she tweeted, "but look at the bright side: CONTINUUM gets a proper ending!"

Hey, the lady has a point. The fact that the show will have a chance to wrap up that cliffhanger from the Season 3 finale is a pretty big deal!

Are you excited that Continuum will get a final season?

Jan 23, 2016
I loved the show too, enjoyed it very much. Though it
Jan 23, 2016
I loved the show and enjoyed it very much. Though it would have been nice to have had a less rushed final season, I am pretty happy with the ending...not perfect but considering all the good shows that never got a chance to wrap things up, we are fortunate that it got some closure, whether you were happy with the ending or not. I was fine with the ending, given the time frame.
Nov 23, 2015
I love Continuum, but I don't like the ending.
Aug 27, 2015
I am absolutely excited that Continuum will air a final season. It's a great story and deserves to be ended properly.
Sep 20, 2015
"Great" is stretching it a little... The dialog, for these shows, seems to be written for teenagers - as always. I get that they're aiming for a wide demographic, but does it -really- need to include the mentally ill. ;-$
Jul 24, 2015
What us UK watchers find so galling is that primarily, shows seem to rely on US ratings. That's now out of date. The majority of watchers worldwide probably record, download or access shows from box sets and similar features offered by their provider and watch them at their convenience, not when the show is on air. The ratings don't account for that. So how do they really know how popular some shows are?
Oct 14, 2015
AlunMarch,
Actually, The US Ratings that you speak of being out of date, aren't! The Nielsen ratings system, has in fact been modernized. The ratings now takes into account the live viewership instantaneously, but now those categories that you speak of, are added in and updated throughout the particular quarter. That is the reason shows in all the different time slots are given a kind-of score, to account for all the different platforms and targeted age groups. Those scores are what advertisers take into account when determining whether or not to advertise during that particular show, in that time-slot, or on that platform all together. Many advertisers are turning to a type of "sponsorship", rather the old school comercial. Through this sponsorship, companies will guarantee that the viewer will see and/or hear their products mentioned during the TV program itself. Companies had to turn to this type of advertising because more and more people were watching the popular shows through the expanding platform options, and skipping past all the paid advertisement slots. I do hope that my explanation of the new ratings system was eye opening, and not too confusing to follow!? I really feel this new way, will allow more quality shows to go the distance, after all, with the platform options expanding, more and more people, are watching, more and more quality programming...
More +
Jul 17, 2015
I am wondering what others are...I can't find anything that explains why. If it was ratings..I get it. $is always the bottom line and audiences are by and large stupid..sad to say. The more complicated,intelligent series always get cancelled...They only survive on premium. Many bad shoes get cancelled,but that is hoe it should be.

But there are a lot of shows that simply appeals to sex and violence and pretty faces with formula writing so predictable and boring they are unwatchable for those who need more. I remember Rubicon,well I won't bore you al, with a list..we all know them and have out favorites...but this is another. We are at there Mercy...it is the oddest of all consumer relationships. You have to watch for awhile b4 the $makers have a sense of what is what.,.,unlike a new bad of chips or soda..you don't get emotionally involved..lol. Oh well...

Sep 20, 2015
And yet, shows are made with borderline-stupid elements to account for the audiences (I guess, lol, why else). Rare shows, like Firefly, which have a strong identity (whatever that may be, not the point :)) don't get to stay on the air... Whatever, Continuum had (some) promise at the beginning and then it disintegrated... Looks like they're trying to make up for it, with semi-cool (but, still, kinda, cr4p) digital power suits (FTW), yet people might've gotten sick of the cheap, having had to sit through that atrocity called BSG.
Jul 17, 2015
Anyone know how to edit after the fact? ..my post has typos I forgot about and posted accidently,,now they sit there,..not the most important thing in the world,it's the Internet,but would like to look like I can spell,esp when I'm talking about stupid audiences..lol
Sep 20, 2015
& nope, lolz. xD
Jul 12, 2015
Yes, I love the show! Why do networks always cancel the popularity shows? Aren't they making enough money?!
Aug 30, 2015
There is no such thing as "enough money" in the business world. But like you, I'd rather see the content creators make more money instead of the publishers. Maybe then they would be able to spend more money on cgi effects.

And this is probably the reason there's not alot of time spent in the future which is something the show would need to be more interesting. It's the same with the new "Killjoys and Dark Matter". They spend more time in the sci-fi environment. But the shows still feel a bit claustrophobic, As in a very few changes of scenery. The ship in Dark Matter only show a few specific areas, When alot more is left to explore, which makes it feel alot smaller than it's supposed to be.

I wish i could just throw money at all the potentially good sci-fi series so money would no longer be a concern, and allowing them to go all out, limited only by their imagination. One way to support the shows we like would be by buying the shows on discs. But since people don't belive that enough people will buy it to make enough of a difference, we're stuck where we are, with shows held back by money and as a result, cancelled way too soon.

It's not all our fault of course. For these shows to be successful and long lasting, they need to deliver one way or another. More action with powerful drama, and music good enough to move the viewers. A show based on dreams and imagination instead of statistics.

Stargate Universe failed miserably, But mostly so because the lack of dramatic music where it was needed. There were emotional scenes where a main character was crying in despair. But there was no music at all. Instead it turned into a scene making the actor look like some random crybaby you couldn't care less about. It had no impact at all on the viewer. A massive Fail-Stamp right there!

I seem to suffer from the "Far Too Long Reply Syndrome" (FTLRS).
But i just felt like these things needed to be said.

Have a good day, Peace out!
More +
Sep 20, 2015
You did not, just, compare the awesome Dark Matter with Killjoys, omg. :f
Jun 25, 2015
I do appreciate the fact a FINALE can be seen unlike what the obtuse ******** executives did to Alphas, but I cannot believe the ratings for this show was so bad it did not deserve a renewal.
Jun 20, 2015
I think that this is some great news. I mean all of it. I had honestly thought that with the way the last season ended that I thought for sure they were going to outright cancel it. I think that the way they handled this show is the way they should handle any show that gets cancelled, either air a short season to finish it off or finish it properly during the season finale of the last season to air.
Almost nothing sucks more than getting invested in a series just to have it end of a cliffhanger and never be heard from again.
Jun 20, 2015
Continuum is the best show on television. It only makes perfect sense that it's going away. They keep the crap and get rid of the quality.
Jun 14, 2015
All the really good SyFy keeps going off the air way before its time. Remember Firefly? Yeah. That could have gone on for at least 2 to 3 years more. I can't understand this. What happened? Did they suddenly forget their own story?! It's June now. WHEN in this year of 2015 is it going to come back for its ending? Still waiting.
Sep 20, 2015
Ugh, you KNOW that the movie Serenity was filmed - for Firefly....
Nov 23, 2015
Yeah. That's another TV SyFi that ended before Its time. I always believed it was because it aired on the Science Channel. I saw it advertised on that channel and thought, oh this is a science SyFi for children to TEACH them something about science. And so, I never even gave it a try until way after it had been cancelled. I streamed it off NetFlix, and became pissed that it had gone off the aire. It's like the producers--or whoever--don't really know how to sell this stuff. We definately need better Science Fiction, and more importantly, we really need to give It a better chance of surviving.
Nov 26, 2015
Agreed 100% only you got me confused (again), hehe; Serenity (2005), the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/ is what I meant!..:)
Jun 05, 2015
I couldn't get over the smoking man being a goodie or was it baddie,I dunno.
Talking about cancelled shows " Almost human " should have been extended
May 30, 2015
Yes. Nichols worded it nicely. BUT, when does it air in Canada?
Apr 28, 2015
Wow can they top the finale with killer robots or whatever crashing the present?

More Gaza and Liber8 and less freelancer

Theseus actually doing something, maybe teaming with Alec now the timeline is busto

Missing the Keira flashbacks to her peacekeeping actions in a facist future

Will take what Continuum I can get
Apr 16, 2015
Does anybody know when? Does Canada and the U.S. Show the eps at the same time? I didn't think they did in past seasons??

Apr 24, 2015
The U.S. always aired seasons weeks/months later, unfortunately.
Apr 16, 2015
Well I'm extremly happy to hear this. It's deserves a lot more. But you take what your given in these instances.
Apr 12, 2015
Fox Entertainment did the same with Fringe.
Apr 09, 2015
This network is so F'd up wrestling and reality shows have nothing to do with syfy. More science fiction please like continuum and stargate... only watch this channel when continuum or something else that is syfy is on .... Havent really watched it in months.
Apr 24, 2015
Then you missed the best science fiction show they've had in years. Way to go!
Mar 31, 2015
season 3 was such a mess, how are they gonna wrap up this show in only 6 episodes ?
i loved this show but i can see why it is ending, it was becoming hard to follow and the characters don't have chemistry.
they better do their best to give us at least an awesome ending !
Mar 29, 2015
Frack me... I can't believe they are ending it and with only 6 episodes? I would have thought with season 3 finality they could have went in million directions. Sigh
Mar 27, 2015
I'm in shock the Continuum story will be over soon. The show has everything...great character development, great dialogue, OUTSTANDING performers (really...the entire cast, standing ovation), and a living-breathing storyline that has a "never-ending" opportunity without ever getting boring. Whatever Showcase's reason, it's wrong.
Mar 27, 2015
This isn't surprising. Shows that are too intelligent always seem to get the axe, where as useless drivel runs season after season for all eternity. Case in point: Sponge Bob Square Pants. In fact, mind-numbing BS is apparently such a high priority with the TV industry -- that mindless garbage such as WWE Wrestling, ends up on the Syfi Channel -- even though friggen wrestling has absolutely nothing to do with Syfi. Ratings do not determine the life and death of TV shows these days, folks. What determines it, is the morons in charge and who knows who. If you cut a deal or you're best friends with the brothers cousin of some network or some such and you got the bling and the glitz, then you can get any slot you want, for as long as you want -- even if your show is total garbage, and even if it has absolutely nothing to do with what a network is actually trying to present to its viewers.
Apr 12, 2015
Are you seriously suggesting all the exploitive shows about "little people" are useless drivel?! Oh. You're right. :)
Mar 25, 2015
LOVE Continuum. Never end it. And please bring back Fringe. :O)
Jun 29, 2015
Fringe was awesome and some of the subplots didn't get the endings they deserved because the fifth season wasn't long enough, I think the show ended how it was meant to end.
I wish I knew someone else who also knew about it when it was on, I've known a few who stared after it finished and they have all agreed that it was great.
Mar 22, 2015
Love love love this TV show, sad itz coming to an end but glad it has an end than get my heart broken midway as most TV shows cancelled do. Great show can't wait for the finale.
Mar 19, 2015
So does that means she gets to see her family from her supposed death of the past, had she'd been MIA?
Mar 19, 2015
this is a great tv show. Still glad it has an ending and it will be ended while I still like it rather than being ran and start hating it. Just like Fringe.
Mar 10, 2015
While disappointed this is ending, at least it will have ending unlike so many other shows. The real shame is they did a good job pivoting from Kiera trying to get home to a broader plotline - the descent into the police state. This show could have gone on for years.

Does anyone know when the final episodes will air?
Mar 10, 2015
At least it will have an ending.
And I must say other then the time travel part .
This show is not that far fetched from what could very well be the future of our rights and liberty's.
Look where we are already at with the Police state!!!
Mar 05, 2015
I would love to see this series continued. It is the first good sifi series in a long time and it not only has great effects, but also a great story line. Id like to see atleast 2 more seasons.
Mar 02, 2015
This show is amazing! There should be at least 2 more seasons
Mar 02, 2015
Syfy please keep this show running and bring back firefly.it will pay off in long run your nerds make all the cash and will eventually stop downloading illegally and pay off in the end lol. For real do not cancel this and bring back firefly there the best
Jun 29, 2015
Firefly was made by Fox it only had 13 episodes, then Jos Whedon made Serenity as a movie, there was talk of one or two more but everyone is doing other things now.
I there was a planed story arc that was ruined after the movie so the show could never continue in the way is was intended, the show was meant to have a beginning mddle and end.
The reason Firefly and Angle were canceled was because the decisions were made by people whose bonuses were determined by television ratings. I think they got away with canceling Angel because it didn't have higher ratings than American Idol. but then got fired by Rupert Murdoch for canceling Firefly, because he already knew the real money is in merchandise and when that was factored in Angle was extremely profitable after 5 seasons and I think they made even more from Firefly's half season.
Mar 01, 2015
6 more episodes are simply not enough! Great syfy shows always get the short end of the stick and cheesy, reality shows get all the air time they want. Give me5 more seasons of Continuum instead of some stupid singing show.
Feb 27, 2015
Continuum only getting a 6 episode finale is no surprise from syfy, there notorious for shutting down GREAT tv shows before they even have time to get started only to make way from more bullshit tv such as wrestling, or stupid ass shows like "Ghost hunters" and all that other bullshit "reality" TV shows. Isnt nothing "reality" about any of them, other than the reality that they freaken suck...LOL. Syfy has not been sci-fi for years. There tv schedule has been slowly been going in the crapper for years now. And half of the GREAT shows that do make there way on the air, are only canceled for no good reason. Syfy has a track record for canceling the best TV shows that they have, firefly, the tomorrow people (which just barely got started, and was one of the BEST shows they had) And now continuum will be another one of the short lived greats to be thrown in the trash by the retards at syfy. Who ever is in charge there now needs to be freaken fired and slapped up side the head. Where lucky were even getting a closer to this series, they normally don't give two shits about what there viewers want, they've even been known to move shows around and put them on at odd hours just so that people DONT know when there on so they can then "claim" the show got bad ratings so they can cancel it,mush like they did with stargate universe, ANOTHER GREAT show they fucked over. They've even done such dumb things as take a show that was meant to be an actual series and turn it into only a 3 episode "mini-series" i mean come on people, why even put a show on the air only to yank it before it even finds it footing or right when it does and starts to get a lot of followers? Syfy, are you trying to piss people off and make it so that NO ONE even wants to watch your channel, cause i dont want to anymore, i dont want to get to watch a GREAT show only to have you assholes yank it off the air right when it gets good, thats why youve lost a lot of your shows to other networks. Other networks are (i hope) starting to realize the need for a REAL Sci-fi channel, and not one that forgets what made them great. Such as Stargate, if it wasnt for that show, there would be no "Syfy" channel. And you guys just completly got rid of that one, after completely bashing on one of the nest stargate shows since Sg-1, Stargate Universe. I dont even know what the hell "SYFY" is suppose to be. Its stupid for one.
Mar 13, 2015
I wish I could slap you up side the head. Read the damn article, Continuum is made by Canadian TV network Showcase and is imported to American viewers by Syfy. I'd like to slap you and duanewirdel up side the head.
Mar 05, 2015
WELL SAID!
Feb 23, 2015
WHEN WHEN WHEN
Feb 21, 2015
They have left so many things hanging that its not possible to give it a proper ending in 6 episodes.
I'll be very upset on seeing this show end. Really loved it and made my head scratch after every episode. Sad to see it end. Really...
Feb 18, 2015
I am pretty much heartbroken that this show is only get a 6 episode season. I just finished season 3 and have only good things to say about it. I love the characters and the writing. The action is great for television and so are the special effects. I really don't get what went wrong here. Sci-Fi has been pedaling crap for as long as I can remember and now they have a good show and just cancel it right when it is begining to really unfold into a great show. It is a crime and I will probably cry when it ends. Good day to you all.
Feb 16, 2015
Well guess what, they all made their millions, now have a portfolio, its never been about the fans. consider teleology, utilitarian consequentialism, and views on evolutionary biology and even cybernetics, these things are created for an industry, they need viewers? yes to a point, but syndication only needs an all powerful broadcaster without competitors and a 'third party' in commas media house and it gets aires. The viewer has no choice and its considered that viewers have no control on what suits their tastes, its decided by experts what they think viewers 'should' or 'ought' to like based on trends and narrative success's across the board that can be chopped and changed like producers putty. as long as people pay their stinking media-box bill, and as long as consumers are pressured into believing they are 'good and 'responsible' consumers' then the masses will have to continue to experience the cycles of nurture and betrayal, and the wheel of dharma (birth-rebirth) forever squeezed under a fake and disenchanting and un-magical industry that will slowly churn water into the grey sludge that falls out of the washing machine mesh filter behind the rotary socket. Disappointing fans like this will not be apparent on the health of a industry that is supposed to sell universal visions and plots and the imagined sorcery of possibility. Instead we get spoon fed our usual propaganda much like a fat and abusive parent the likes of Mrs Hannigan from the film Annie spoon feeds the orphans their 2 years out of date stinking fish oil. I am fed up of being treated like garbage- the themes in this series are fiendishly anti-establishmentarian anyway- why would a soulless corporate media network want us watching a tale that is anti-capitalist and supports inequality of opportunity and privilege with impunity visible in all their controlling and demeaning business that takes genius and carves them into markets for categorical exploitation. Exploitation is what this is and I spit on anyone who disabuses art to make cheap chattel cultural products in arts place to placate the masses and rob us of our cultural heritages and social richness, sad for humanity, sad for a staid generation and sad for all those university graduates in media and communications who blindly apply methodologies and industry approved formulaic narratives that kill our independence of thought for narrative industrial dogma. Ghost world bitches.
Feb 22, 2015
Wordy... but well said. ;)
Feb 16, 2015
PS. A National newspaper like the sun, gets barely as much sales circulation as a youtube video like 'the trews' receives, and yet the journalists and media corporates make shit loads of money. Media is nothing more than commercials in disguise to popularize and create a vogue for certain products in a mass consumer mass consumption industry. Good shows are just a few cherries they scatter among the hogs. Stop buying their shit and supporting the box-set mafia. Peoples lives in suburbia could be so much more, the poverty of culture and philosophy should be apparent in our day and age- why do people not have the power to envisage and envision new dreams and existences?
Feb 14, 2015
This show has so much potential, it's sad to see it ending so soon.
Feb 07, 2015
I am definitely happy that Continuum gets a proper ending - but I agree that it is bittersweet. I wish that Netflix would pick the show up and let it continue properly. This show is so well done and the acting is phenomenal. If it had the support that it needed I think that it would have gotten the full run that it deserved. I hope to see Rachel Nichols in something else in the future - she is a phenomenal actress and I have enjoyed following her character. I am crossing my fingers that I get the closure that I need with these last 6 episodes! :)
Feb 07, 2015
I Love this show....Sci Fi should keep it coming instead of showing those stupid movies. Id rather see continuum.
Feb 05, 2015
At first I was really sad that this show is oinly going to have six more episodes (I could have easily watched at least two more full seasons), but I am glad it is getting to wrap up. That in itself is rare when a show gets cancelled. Also, I have been watching Agent Carter, and they are doing an excellent job of putting so much story into just eight episodes. I hope the writers/editors for Continuum can do something similar and leave the fans feeling satisfied.

Feb 04, 2015
Like some others here, I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 and think season 3 became a little disjointed. I know that others I have spoken with felt the same and we even had a chat at work around the coffee pot one morning "there goes another great show" and it seemed to be a resounding sentiment. I am still looking forward to the 6 episode closure and hope that it is enough time to resolve the story lines on at least the main characters.
Another reader commented in here that good guys became bad buys and vice versa and that was a confusing thing to them, never knowing who to cheer for. To me that was the best part of the series, you could walk a mile in every-bodies shoes and relate to their point of view. To me it is a series that cuts so very close to realities we are seeing in real life today, that I was able to ask myself which side would I be on, because both were right and both were wrong.
Anyhow, I am grateful that there will be the 6 episode closure and an appreciative nod to Showcase for at least giving us that.
Mar 26, 2015
a little disjointed is being generous, more like WTF??

hope they can bounce back and end it well in 6 episodes.
Feb 02, 2015
I agree, What's the point in getting to like a series, as you never know when they will cancel it, you are then left disappointed. When the tv companies make a show and then cancel it, they should always end it properly, or don't make them at all, other wise the people will stop watching all together.
Feb 01, 2015
Why bother producing shows in the first place,its the same excuses too expensive to produce.If these networks are just intrested in selling commercials,just stream commercials all day long.
Feb 01, 2015
Showcase as lost alot of credibility with me once Helix is done im done with Showcase.i guess its better to promote mindless reality shows.Another show i liked was Intelligence,it was the best written crime drama to ever come out of Canada,it was up for Junos and after two seasons it was cancelled lol.I wont be surprized if and when Showcase folds.
Feb 01, 2015
Being a Canadian and Showcase originating from Canada im pretty disappointed and disillusioned.

Feb 01, 2015
The networks are only hurting themselves,no one is going to invest in the time and energy to devote to a series if it keeps getting cancelled before it has properly completed its story arc.
Feb 01, 2015
Just heard SyFy (because it is just too damned hard to spell SciFi!), in their usual blatant idiocy, has given the boot to Continuum -- which is currently the BEST thing on that mediocrity that SyFy is quickly devolving into.
They pulled the same crap with Stargate: SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Eureka and Warehouse 13 -- which were all excellent, clever SciFi series that had heart & humor.
They are leaving fans with just 6 new episodes to "wrap up" the storyline. Of course, it will be rushed and I'm sure the usual head-scratching will ensue with the finale.
SyFy's "original" movies are cheesy (not the campy kind) and are often third-rate knock-offs of major movies or just lame theme retreads of the usual claptrap they try to pass off as SciFi.
Their current crop of new shows over the past year or two are all so stultifying as they casually toss out their mumbo-jumbo, trying to look intelligent while insulting OUR intelligence. They all seem to be made to appeal to puerile viewers and not those who have a more intelligent bent.
I try these new shows, but end up deleting them from my DVR schedule after seeing how bad they are. They're not worth the effort to watch, not even during a time when "nothing good is on" -- thankfully, for those times I have a HUGE SciFi library and can immerse myself in a fantastic tale from one of the many master SciFi authors (see next paragraph).
Yes, I'm sure those shows have their fans, but fandom does not good SciFi make, especially to ones steeped in Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov and the other masters of SciFi (and have been doing so for half a century). Continuum reminded me of several works by Robert A. Heinlein, aka, The Master...
I will sorely miss Continuum & hope there may be better shows in development @ SyFy, but I won't hold my breath... Again, I'm grateful to books during this SyFy fall from grace...
Goodbye, Continuum. Thanks for all you gave us... I'll be there watching those six episodes & mourning your loss...
Jan 28, 2015
It will be nice when the last episodes are available on Hulu or similar services as I do not have cable
Jan 21, 2015
Disappointed but glad to get at least six more shows.
Jan 15, 2015
Want 7 full seasons of Continuum? Sign this change.org petition! The more support, the more likely we can get the 7 seasons we all want! https://www.change.org/p/syfy-network-buy-rights-to-continuum-and-produce-7-seasons
Load More Comments