Continuum's (U.S.) Series Premiere: The Occupy 2012 Movement

Continuum S01E01: "A Stitch in Time"

It's the year 2077, and cops are hot. The world, however, is a bit of a mess, at least from our 2012/2013 point of view. Globo-corps have rescued incompetent governments from financial ruin and now have their hands up the collective handholes of society through political means, creating a future that's nice and shiny on the outside but freedom-less and oppressive on the inside. The well-to-do live the good life while the poor split a slice of bread for dinner and corporations rule everything. Meanwhile, a group of idealists protests the corporate regime. Hmmm... sounds like today.

That's the set up for Continuum, a surprisingly smart and savvy science-fiction drama that draws on 9/11 and out-of-control corporations and that made its American debut tonight on Syfy. (The series has already aired on Canada's Showcase network and is renewed for a second sesason). But 2077 becomes but a flicker of the past when one of the aforementioned hot cops, Kiera Cameron (an equally hot Rachel Nichols), accidentally time-travels to 2012 on the coattails of a group of terrorists who are working under the name Liber8 and escaping execution through temporal displacement. In layman's terms, they planned on bouncing by time-travelling outta Dodge. The terrorists' plan was to fidget with the past in order to change the future by ousting the corporate giants before they could take our future freedoms away.

And that's where Continuum leaves its mark. Our hero Kiera is essentially a lackey for the future evil overlords of 2077, and the so-called freedom fighters she's hunting down are rallying for changes that we can all get behind. There's even talk in the present about the lame government bailouts for financial institutions that are the essence of Liber8's philosophy. What changed between 2012 and 2077 that kept the voice of the people down? Is extreme violence justified if the cause is right? Ostensibly, Kiera is our "good guy," but as a cop employed by Corporate Congress, isn't she also working for the bad guy? The situation is vice versa for the Liber8 terrorists, who don't mind blowing up a building full of innocents provided it's also one small step against the persecution from the Corporate Congress. It's a terrorists vs. freedom fighters argument with a time-travel wrinkle thrown in for good measure. Except Liber8 only intended to travel six years in the past, putting the terrorists and Kiera on a pretty even playing field when it comes to outdated tech like iPhones and cool-guy Bluetooth headsets when they're used to palm holo-phones and skull implants.

But Continuum does find a clever way to include limited future technology through Alec Sadler, a geeky shut-in in the present day (2012) who in the future is the boss of a tech giant that's responsible for a lot of the police's hardware. It's a stretch to say that young Alec's infant network could integrate with Kiera's 2077 gizmos, but the leap of faith is worth taking because it results in their partnership, which is integral to the show. With Alec the only one who knows the truth about Kiera and the only one who can help her out, there's a sweet Person of Interest-style relationship where Alec can sit in his Computer Clubhouse and help Kiera out in the field.

Continuum is also very aware that it's a time-travel show and that sci-fi fans know there are rules to such things. But the premiere didn't shy away from tht at all and almost immediately addressed the issue with two possible theories, courtesy of Alec. Kiera's actions in the present could greatly affect the future and mess a whole lot of stuff up, or her journey back to 2012 could all be part of the plan and she's just "going through the motions" of something that already happened in another time loop. This adds another layer to the already rich concept of Continuum that the show can play with (however, Alec's reaction to meeting Kiera for the "first" time in a flashback/flashforward seemed to indicate that he was already familiar with Kiera, as did his nonchalant reaction to her teleporting back with the terrorists).

BUT MORE LAYERS! In addition to the philosophical questions of corporate invasiveness in society, the puzzling wonder of time travel, and the sweet-ass future technology (skin-tight nanotech suits are fashionable and functional!), Continuum features an emotional core that really completes the show. Kiera isn't Robocop or Jean Claude van Damme in Timecop, she's an innocent hot lady from the future who accidentally ended up with a one-way ticket to present-day Vancouver. She's been ripped away from her husband and son, and like any other rational person, just wants to return to them. This is essential to Kiera's character, because without her longing for her family she'd be boring. When she's beating up thugs on a monorail she's fairly stock and reminiscent of TV's other tough female cops, but when she reflects on seeing her son again she becomes a human being, and that's all we can ask for out of television. Give us someone who is badass and who we can also sympathize with.

"A Stitch in Time" laid the groundwork for a potentially excellent series in solid fashion, and if you aren't excited for Episode 2, then you must have something against pretty-good ambitious television. There's a lot going on here that many other shows would fumble, but so far, Continuum is doing all of it right.

NOTES

– Yeahhhhh Cancer Man is back! That's X-Files vet William B. Davis as the grown-up Alec Sadler.

– I've seen a handful of episodes and the quality stays roughly the same.

– Lovely Canadians, please don't spoil the series in the comments for those who haven't seen it.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Watching the series for the second time and I still love it!
Most underrated show of 2012/2013!
season 1 was awesome, cant wait for season 2.
So yall canadians, do you know if this show will be back for season 2?
already watched season 1 and love it. in my opinion one of the best sci fi´s over the last years. of course it has some weak spots but its on a good way and i am really looking forward to season 2.
The show has already been shown in the UK. I liked it, but not too sue about some of the acting, I thought some of the actors were a bit wooden. I think the writers created some interesting scenarios that make many of the protagonists reconsider their own positions as the series unfolds.
There are also some interesting plot twists and some good humour too. I'd recommend giving it a go.
'The Occupy 2012 Movement' but without the rapes and crapping on police cars. And drum circles. Those damn drum circles. Plus these guys actually do stuff instead of drum circles.
Kiera's excuse doesn't hold much water; I have no idea why a cop from where I live (Portland) would travel up to Vancouver BC to work on a case there. On a related note, why is TV so obsessed with my hometown lately? Is this Carrie Brownstein's fault?
Oregon has a film commission & they give financial incentives to production companies to film there. Georgia's another biggie lately too.
There's usually a mention in the closing credits when a state gets involved.
Remember, though, that Kiera lives in the North American Union, where Portland and Vancouver are just two cities in the same country. Maybe she didn't do so well in History class. ;)
Superb show, watched the 1st season already and loved it, can't wait for season 2.
liked it syfy has somthing to watch again besides haven and faceoff
Do you think Syfy cancelled Alphas to air Continuum's season 2 next summer at the same time than Canadians?
I just want to know how Alec could afford all his computer gizmos, because apparently there is a place here and now which sells them real cheap.
My guess: he went pawn shoppin'.
No spoilers, promise!
Watched the 1st year and liked very much! It is well acted, good drama, good sci-fi. Does not insult watcher's IQ.
One might fuss a bit about some special xfects that could be better... that is all.
you must not watch much tv , I watched the premiere on SYFY here in the states, I was very disappointed going to be a big pass on the remainder!
Hey man! Sorry you didn't like it. Maybe you expected something more clean cut... well it isn't... it takes all kinds. As for your gratuitous comment about myself "not watching much TV" well suffice it to say that I have been watching every sci-fi show from USA, UK & France since the late 60's... shall you care to discuss any other show, I'll be glad to... ;-)
bad choice of word perhaps not clear, the premiere/pilot was not challenging enough, it did indeed insulted my IQ that is where my comment was aimed!!! so does clean cut mean easy I don't want easy!!!
inocent bystander here, but could you recommend some french sci fi? ive been studing the language and would like to practice watching some french series, aaaand i really like sci fi
Well, I have been struck by the flu and cannot pay attention to anything but this show managed to keep my attention the whole way through! I think the show had some more interesting elements in the personal details than likely the overall storyline (like, I was guessing that Alec from the future - thank you for reminding me where I have seen him before - is actually regretting the role he played, this is based on the Alec we saw in our time, in making the world like this and while this whole thing happened before, he might have seen a way around it, like trying to get a message to his younger self, to get Kiera not on the whole group's side, clearly some of them are not so much on message as you'd want them to be, but I am guessing that the scruffy guy is the one future Alec wants to reach - sorry for the run on)

I am also curious about the other cop that made it back since other than a meaningful glance, she and Kiera never actually talked and I don't think we met her in the future.
Watched the pilot and it's great, downloading season 1...ARRRRRRRR.

She's so freaking hot I had to take a shower after watching the episode.
very disappointing I see too many plot holes, and very predictable, like the device that sent them back. with a doubt as soon as I saw (cigarette smoking man) I knew he was involved too easy!! as for the time travel as soon as they crashed thru overpass ,the future was changed, as or the fake bank robberies, plus the main goal breaking their colleague out of the police station which caused 4 deaths!! as for Kiera stealing money from ATM's to pay for her hotel with her abilities, which by the way should not work, as young Alec stated, the technology was in the early developments!!! no if young Alec is right on his theory that this was suppose to happen then I will back the truck up, but I don't think so, so I will not continue with Continuum
Loved it! Can't wait for season 2! Not enough good sci fi shows out there anymore!
Really like the show (have seen the whole season) from the story to the subplots and questions to the characters. I dare say the second half is better than the first as more information (and questions) arise.

Granted the show is low budget and the acting is questionable at times (and one of the later episode plots is highly predictable in its conclusion to the extent that you'll be yelling at the characters to see it coming - really, it's important and it'll be annoying). I will praise it, though, for asking those scifi questions and answering them in sometimes unpredictable or satisfyingly incomplete ways.

The one thing I will not necessarily praise it for (though not criticize it for) is its handling of the freedom-fighter/terrorist moral question. Yes it asks it continuously throughout the season and has an interesting scifi spin on it. But it doesn't really add anything new or all that provocative to the question. It boils down to: one group is willing to commit terrorist attacks to prevent oppressive future regime and the other somewhat naïvely works for that regime to protect society from those terrorists. Do bad to do good vs. doing good while not realizing it's doing (or protecting) bad. I have no doubt that our protector will confront this very same question when she comes to understand the oppression of the future and walk some line between the two. Semi-spoiler: the real question, moral or otherwise, will reveal itself when we find out what is driving this whole machine.
Just looked into the show. I had some doubts going into it; the acting seemed a bit stiff in the first few minutes for some reason, but it improved quickly and as soon as Alec brought up the time travel theories I was ALL in. Finally, a show that tries to make sense out of time travel. I believe I've found my new Fringe replacement.
Two of the three finest Canadian imports on one night, the only show missing was "Call Me Fitz". This show was intriguing enough to bring me back. Isn't anyone Recapping "Lost Girl" on this site anymore?
Heard about this show here on this website, and I am glad that I did. Great pilot and I am indeed looking forward to the rest of this season/show. I am impressed. Proof that USA isn't the only country that can make good TV (though I love my homeland).
Also, unless it ruins something for me in which case please don't answer my questions but simply say "you'll find out", did I see things right and is the future country called the North American Union? And is the premise that the USA and Canada are now one big corporate country? It doesn't bother me either way, I'm just curious.
There's no danger of spoilers with regard to your question. The existence and nature of the North American Union is entirely left up to the viewer's imagination. There are no answers in store (except maybe in season 2), so draw your own conclusions. Is it a spoiler to confirm a lack of future information?
Nah, that works, and thank you. I didn't think it was a really serious part of the show, but the name piqued my interest, so I figured I would ask.
I had a problem with the presentation of this show's vision of the future, not the vision itself but a muddled presentation of the who, what, and why aspects of things. There simply wasn't enough definition to what was going on, why they were doing it, and who stood for what. And Liber8 (really? That's what they called themselves? That's terrible) seems willing to kill to make a statement, yet in 2012 they seem willing to kill for jollies, there's no real balance to these characters. They're noble terrorists who instill enough loyalty to have helpers get them exotic time-travel tech as they're about to be executed, yet they run around 2012 like common street thugs, taking joy in killing and drawing attention to their violence to a silly level.

Ultimately, I'm not excited for the second episode, I'll tune in, but this episode felt a lot like generic sci-fi action TV - and it didn't help that it was stocked with actors from Andromeda, Mutant X, and a lot of other genre work. It ended in a corny shootout with a lazy gadget solution and 8-bit lettering from future-tech that was laughable.
I have to agree with the statement about Liber8. They kinda fight for freedom from the corporations but they are awfully OK with killing people. I know, in 2077 it's a war or a start of a revolution, but since they are people who fight for moral reasons, they don't seem that moral to me.
Don't want to spoil it for you so all I can say is keep watching. A lot of things will become clearer.
Also, despite all promises to the contrary, this show stank of a better-funded Time Trax.
The moral ambiguity of the series is challenging and the development of where characters are willing to go - or not go as it may be - is not boring. I'd advise watching.
I'm super excited to watch it, now if I could just get my DVR to record it. I hate it when it gets moody :)
Continuum delivers all the way through to the end. Fabulous show.
I can't wait for season 2....but I guess I have to.
In the meantime I'll just keep replying to my own posts LOL. Check out the absolutely fantastic 3-episode UK show Black Mirror. Syfy, brilliant, absolutely never before seen writing and at the same time very uncomfortable and challenging...but the stories are sooooooo good you can't turn it off, and at the same time you don't want to turn it off. Three different stories of a maybe-future.
Thanks for the tip will look into it!
is that a new show in the uk? haven't heard of it
I liked the second and third episode a lot more than the first one...but I guess it's a taste issue. Check out the show Good Cop and Vexed.
hey, not much info in imdb but what I can see looks promising, thanks for the tip! :)
Im not really sure, look it up on imdb. s02e01 came out last week but I haven't seen it.
Ditto the many others who found a way to watch this before coming to the US - just watched it last week in fact and give it a thumbs up especially as the story starts to flesh out in the last couple of episodes.
This series reminds me so much of First Wave. The main leader of the prisoner's is even the main villain from First Wave. And then you have the protagonist being aided remotely by the shy shut-in.
I just want to add that Continuum does time-travel like no show or movie before - the consequences of meddling with timelines is depicted very realistic and with some good emotional shocks. Stay tuned it will be a little slow in the next episodes but then it gets good. Really good.
I really liked the show and its dealing with time travel, but I got a little chuckle out of describing it as "realistic."
Yeah, I was a little bit vague there. What I was thinking is that if you change a time-traveller's past it won't make him/her disappear into thin air, f.e.
I think it's hilarious how many people have seen the first season and do not live in Canada. This show is hands down the best scifi series to come out in years, puts others like Tera Nova and Falling etc further into the realm of craptastic TV! I wouldn't really call Lost girl SciFi as its more of a fantasy Drama (I.E True Blood, Game of Thrones) but with addition of Borealis this season Canadian TV is quickly surmounting American television in terms of original quality entertainment.

For years television was dominated by the US with the British Tv trailing close behind. And then in the past 20 years British Tv(Doctor Who revival, Robin Hood, Merlin, Downtown Abbey etc) has easily risen to surpass that of American television, but it was a long road to get there.

My question to TV viewers is; How long do you think it will take Canadian TV to completley surpass American Television?
I think we're so used to good American TV that we don't give credit to it. Try counting really good British shows and then try counting really good Americans. The American list will be very long. However they really compensate that with even more crappy TV.
Best new Sci-Fi show for me this year, i really like the cast, i'm i alone here ? They really fit well together !!!
Doesn't the acting feel a bit stiff to you? Alec is OK, but the lead actress is kinda wooden.
She may appear wooden in the opening episode; I believe they're going for the "fish out of water" idea. She almost looks like a T-888 from Terminator when she's walking around Vancouver.

HOWEVER, I think you will find that Rachel Nichols gives a VERY deep and emotional performance in future episodes as she realizes the depths of her isolation. You won't be disappointed if you stick with it.
I don't see anything wrong with the acting, i understand this is not Homeland but i'm fine with this Sci-FI show.
I can see where you are coming from,but I see that as part of the character as the character is quite uptight and rigid - bordering on self-righteous.
You might be right.
Definitely NOT alone. I couldn't agree more!
I've seen the first season and am so glad it is coming to the US for publicity sake. I think more people need to know about this show because it is awesome. I'm also glad to hear that it was renewed for a second season. Does anyone know when it's supposed to premier?
I've seen all of season 1, (finally an advantage to being Canadian in terms of tv viewing, along with Lost Girl) and the show is spectacular!
Pretty cool premise and it is done quite nicely with decent dialogue and actors. A few of the characters are really compelling which bodes well for the future of the series...
I have also watched the first season and I would advice to all science fiction fans to give it a try. It is not all the time the fast paced American style we are used to and it is not a big budget production. But it has very good elements and promises to give time travel a new turn, which is always good. Maybe lower your expectations first but watch it! :)
It would be interesting to know the budget of the show. For example compared to Fringe, Continuum looks quite bad and Fringe is considered a quite low budget show, but looks really great.

However, Americans do have much more expertise in the field.
I think the budget is much lower for this first season, and some of the effects that show up in later episodes are simply stunning. I imagine the budget will be larger for the second season now that the show has seen some success in Canada and the UK. Remember how bad Star Trek: TNG was compared to later seasons? All shows start out on shoestrings until they are proven successes.
well, it's not like they came out with a cardboard spaceship or something, it does not look "bad", it looks like they don´t have a budget to show off a lot...
I understand. It would just be interesting to compare :)
Yes, it would be. And same as Fringe, I think this show will also give a lot to discuss every week :)
I'm sure what the US considers a "low budget" is much higher than in Canada...
Totally @natesjokes! Big difference in viewers! Same thing with European shows. They are used to performing miracles with the budget! So I tend to have more respect for those that can do great shows with little money...
Agreed. Can't wait for season 2!!
Definitely agree. It has first season quality, in which it has some kinks to work out and you can tell it is low budget but that being said, they do a great job with what they got and it's worth watching. The CGI for the suit was well done... probably the only CGI that looked good though.
Too much ambiguity will ruin this series for our dear Murican friends
Right. Absolutely. Because it's not like we "Muricans" got behind ambiguity-fests like LOST or anything. . . . oh, wait. Never mind. Sheesh.
Lost is ambiguous? I think you just shot yourself in the foot.
I've already watched season 1 and it's really worth checking out. The premise feels fresh even though time travel is such a standard scifi topic. I also felt like the quality staid the same for the season with the high note in the first and last episodes.
Been waiting and glad it is returning and hope the pace gets up so it will not fall into danger zone like Sarah Connor's.
Why did you assume that only canadians have watched it? I bet everyone have watched it already who familiar with internet. It's pretty decent show I agree. Way more reassuring sci-fi than Fringe in its final season that's for sure. But that moral ambiguity set in the premiere is melting away down the season unfortunately. But all and all it's a good show.
I think the low ratings for the premiere episode may be in part due to the long delay between the airing in Canada and the US rollout. Everyone found "other means" to watch the show, and it's not showing up in the numbers.

Do what I do - REWATCH it on Syfy anyway to support the show! :)
Considering how ambitious the concept is, I think this show is excellent. For a TV show the effects are quality and I found the story compelling.

My advice to folks who haven't seen it all yet is to ignore the neg-head naysayers below and enjoy.
I have seen the first season also and enjoyed it very much. I would recommend it to those that haven't seen it. And as an aside, another Canadian show that I watched and would recommend was Saving Hope.
I've watched the entire first season already and for me, the first half of it was rather mediocre. The latter half of the season I liked though. It all gets a little crazier and more exciting to watch. But I guess that's why most people would say the second half is worse than the first. I was just pretty bored during episodes 1 through 5, and the rest at least gave me some excitement. But yeah, in one of the last episodes there is a hostage situation for example, and that stuff would make a great Revolution episode.

And about all that smart and savvy stuff; Really? The show paints a nice picture, in theory, where terrorists fight for freedom and you could, in principle, start asking questions about the greater good and such. But during the show's first season, those questions do not come to fruition. It's all a pretty straightforward, hot cop fighting bad guys situation.

In any case, go season 2! A little time-travel goes a long way.
EXCELLENT SEASON 1, thank God for the internet, "bad guys" fighting the "just" and good cause but using terrorism to try to achieve there goals (hence why there the bad guys) "good guy" cop trying to preserve the timeline, but do we want her to?
I loved it and can't wait for second season.
It's a fun little show. Not among the best, obviously, but I do watch it during the summer. If the budget was higher, the opportunities would be greater. And Rachel Nichols is hot, I have to admit that's one of the main reasons why I watch Continuum. She's also a terrible actress, but hot.
I've seen the entire first season, and it was quite a good show. Some people complained about the mid-to-later episodes, but I loved the concept all the way through.

Can't wait for season 2.
ok Im lost on something.. if the corps basically run the world and the government (and thus the cops) are "bad" then wouldnt the terrorist that went from the future be pretty much the resistance and thus be looked as as the good guys while the cop hunting them down would be the bad guy? So why does it make the cop look got but the should be freedom fighter/resistance look bad?
Why if the government is bad would the police be bad? Why would a resistance fighter be good. When the resistance in Afganistan fought the Russians they were the good guys. Now they are fighting Americans they are the bad guys. Same but reversed for the poor police officer working in Afganistan, for the Russians he is bad, working for the Americans he is good.

That's where the twist lies.
It's a case of thinking to yourself "does the result really justify the means?"
Take 9-11 for example (I know this is a touchy subject and I mean no disrespect in any way), it's viewed as one of the worst moments in US history and the people who did it are called evil terrorists BUT what if they were the "resistance" sent back because by commiting that act they stopped a far larger event in the future?
What's to say that one of the people in the WTC wouldn't have gone on to be the head of a corp that basically ran the world by bailing it out of the current financial mess? It's not that much of a stretch considering the state of the world economy now and how the WTC was a financial hub.
I think this was best presented in Battlestar Galactica, the first 5-6 episodes of its third season. You had the Cylons occupy a human colony, nominally with good intentions. However, in order to instill order, they used brutal tacticd, desecrated human shrines, killed children.

Meanwhile, you had the human resistance, the "good guys", who used suicide bombers to spread chaos. After the humans got back to Galactica, they organised fast-track tribunals, sentencing collaborators to death.

So, after all this, who were the good guys, and who the bad ones? Continuum tries to play with that, but not always successfully. I think it is doing best when it is exploring this duplicity, especially with the origins of the 2077 terrorists/freedomm fighters. Overall, the show is not bad at all, and I like Rachel Nichols, but it has toom to get better.
thats looking at it from a present perspective.. Im looking at the "future" (on that show) and the future there doesnt look bad.. i.e it doesnt look like the public is getting arrested for looking at someone the wrong way or thinking the wrong way, all the arrests so far were for things wed get arrested for in todays society

in otherwords the ppl of the future dont look oppressed, that doesnt look like a world rules by hitler where i would expect to see some resistance.. so far it looks like a ok system that a few people people dont agree with
There is no democracy any longer, but companies rule the world and control its every bit. The show is created to make us doubt the reasons of the terroritst and the reasons of the police. So that we don´t know what to believe or who to support. Most of the critics I've heard last year were from people that wanted to know more clearly who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Well, not posible with this show, and that from the beginning One has to go with it and see where it leads. Plus, this is how things are in reality - the good ones and the bad ones get confused as well, depending which perspective you are taking. I think it is great this way, it gives a lot to think about and discuss with others. And it is a brave way to approach the role of big companies nowadays too.

Let's see where it goes!
the people we see in the future for the most part are like our modern day 1%ers, it gets clearer as the episodes progress.
Possible Spoiler Alert (Sorry, not really sure.)

Hey lovely Canadians? I NEED to discuss/hear some Escher-related theories. Any chance I can get one (several, whatever) of you to drop a note in my inbox? Pleaseandthanks.
in canada we have seen all the episodes but the final punch reverse it all , is she a cop, is she a spy, is she a vigilante, is she a pawn, but she is also a mother like you said. but certainly we are not in the first turn of the loop because some of her decisions have already important effect on the future and her past?
I agree with the previous poster. I really like the show. It's not the best show ever but it's definitely good.
good but too short great potential to developpe?
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT....

this is an awful show... the first four or five episodes are decent, but later on is just boring and nonsense. dont waste your time.
I think I gave up on it when it shifted focus to procedural around episode 4 or 5. I wish they would have just stuck with the Kiera vs terrorists angle instead of putting her on actual cases.
Ok, i agree that it decreases its quality, but its not that bad. Let the other give it a try...
I came here to spoil the series as much as I could, but since you called me 'lovely', I'll now refrain from doing so.

While I don't consider it a GREAT show, it is a really good one. The acting isn't amazing, some of the B and C plots aren't too interesting, and generally, there aren't any "WOW" moments that most dramas now try to go for... but there really also aren't any weaknesses. The writing, overall, is quite good. They're able to bring out back-stories and depth into some seemingly standard characters, and everything else seems to be written fairly intelligently.

Having quit watching Flashpoint (made me cry too much) and The Listener (a bit too boringly repetitive) both last year, Continuum is the only Canadian show I currently watch, and maybe rightfully so. Although, I have been thinking about giving Republic of Doyle a try, if any Canadians that watch it (and the one American that might) want to advocate it.
Is The Listener still running? Or was its 2nd season the last one?
I LOVE Republic of Doyle! (Full disclosure: part of the initial draw was my Alan Hawco infatuation.) The cases of the week are sometimes great, sometimes "meh." The real draw is the interaction and the bantering/bickering between the Doyle family (particularly Jake and Malachy (Alan Hawco and Sean McGinley)). I will advocate this show all day long.

On another Canadian side-note: "only Canadian show I currently watch, and maybe rightfully so" What?? Why? Will my advocating for both Lost Girl and Rookie Blue change your mind? It should. They are both excellent.
Thanks. I think I've now set my mind on giving Republic of Doyle a try. I'll either try to catch the next episode on TV or find and start with the first few episodes on the internet.

Hehe, well, I did say "maybe" rightfully so, just because there are some shows that I haven't tried, one example being Rookie Blue. From the promos I saw of it, it just didn't draw me in enough to make me want to watch an episode. Seemed like it'd be a typical police procedural with some soap-y drama, kind of like Chicago Fire. Maybe if I have some free free-time soon or if I'm flipping through channels and see it on, I'll try it.

As for Lost Girl... I didn't like it much. I watched two or three episodes and aside from finding Anna Silk kinda sexy (a younger Mary Louise Parker), there wasn't much that I liked about it. I admit I'm biased, though, because I'm typically not a big fan of the fantasy genre (with exceptions to Game of Thrones and Supernatural).
Start at the beginning. Or at least the beginning of S04. We're three episodes in and there's some (delightful) chicanery going on.
Load More Comments