Covert Affairs: Annie Walker's Broken Hearts Club Band

Covert Affairs S03E05: “This Is Not America”

Love is so not in the air at the CIA at the moment. Or Mossad, for that matter. Annie, previously dismissed from her position in Lena Smith’s office for compromising her cover with Simon, was desperate to get back into Lena’s club, but Lena was having none of it. Auggie, fresh out of a night in jail after his break-up-fueled bar fight, was sent to therapy where he half-heartedly flirted with his therapist. Joan and Arthur butted heads, but that’s pretty much a given—just get a divorce already, jeez. Even Annie’s mission to Israel to track down a rocket scientist who was possibly selling intel featured a lonely nerd whose hot spy girlfriend ultimately betrayed him.

BUT WAIT. THERE’S MORE. Eyal was asked by one of Annie’s superiors at the CIA to evaluate her performance in the field during her mission abroad. I get giddy every time Oded Fehr guest-stars as everyone’s favorite charming Mossad agent. I could seriously just watch an entire show dedicated to Annie and Eyal going on adventures and being snarky with each other and revelling in all that sexual tension. Anyway, Eyal was asked to evaluate Annie, which she was understandably unhappy about, even less so when he admitted that he thought her bosses were right to be concerned about her headspace after Jai’s assassination. His willingness to be honest with Annie led to some bonding time and to prove that he understood Annie’s stance that being a spy is HARD, you guys, he showed her his son and talked about his failed marriage.

This is like the worst CIA recruitment video ever. “Join the CIA! It’s the perfect career for people who want to have TERRIBLE relationships with everyone they’ve ever been close to.”

Annie and Auggie have an interesting parallel going on at the moment. Both are under heavy scrutiny from their superiors and both skirt the line between fit and unfit for duty. They also both seem to be unwilling or unable to be there for one another in the manner that we are accustomed to seeing them. Annie doesn’t know how the engagement to Parker fell apart and Auggie doesn’t know ANYTHING about Simon. These are ongoing issues in both of their lives that, at the moment, define them—and despite being BFFs, neither has made much effort to confide in the other. Both Annie and Auggie are clinging to their “I’m fine” mantra. And maybe they both believe that they ARE fine, to an extent, but I think that belief is shaky at best. Annie doesn’t want to burden Auggie and vice versa and furthermore, that belief in how “fine” they both are seems to be so precarious that a moment of entertaining the notion of being not fine could very well bring it all down.

So, Annie was off to Israel to handle that rocket scientist, Isaac, who didn’t realize that he was being played by his spy girlfriend to divulge rocket scientist secrets. It was a fairly cut-and-dry case and in the end, Isaac was heartbroken and his ladyfriend was in handcuffs. The whole case was really just an excuse to pair up Annie and Eyal for an episode, which is fine, because Eyal’s revelation about the evaluation is important. It shows that Annie’s ability is in doubt and it forces us to question our own allegiance to her.

Lena, certainly, and possibly Joan and Arthur if they have any knowledge of Annie’s mission with Simon, fear that Annie has developed real feelings for Simon. I’ve been giving Annie the benefit of the doubt for most of the season that she has maintained her professional distance. It would be a disservice to her character and the show in general to turn her into another argument against Lena’s stance that female spies should follow the same guidelines as male spies in the field.

Earlier in the season, Lena Smith pointed out that male spies are actively encouraged to sleep with their targets for information while female spies are discouraged because it’s believed that they’ll fall in love and start selling state secrets or something. By writing Annie as having fallen in love with Simon, the message of this season becomes “...and the men were RIGHT,” which is kind of awful. It would discredit the Covert Affairs from being the sort of vehicle for empowerment that it likes to think that it is.

So, I’m sticking by Annie, but the seeds of doubt are certainly being planted. And what’s the alternative? What do we make of that last phone call to Simon, with his Mossad file sitting on Annie’s lap? Has she gone rogue? Is she determined to finish this mission, even if she has to do it herself?

That’s actually my theory at the moment. What’s yours?

SPY NOTES

– Arthur is on the shortlist for appointment to the Chinese Ambassador position. He decided to think ahead and try to secure Joan a position with the Beijing CIA offices without asking her. She got mad. He said he wanted her by his side. She said he married the wrong woman. I hate both of them so much.

i wan't her to be finished with this mission already I'm tired of seeing his face .
I love any episode with Fehr in it. Personally, I think Annie and Eyal would make a better couple than her and Auggie. They'd keep each other entertained quite easily. Auggie seems more like a great older brother but I know the show will eventually bring Auggie and Annie together. It's a bit depressing for the Eyal though heh. Case wise, the entire turn the rocket scientist play was incredibly ridiculous the real gem of the episode was character development.
I am so sick of Joan and Arthur. They have been fighting for three seasons already. I was happy when Annie went to work for Lena because I thought maybe the couple was being written out of the show. Imagine my heartbreak when not only did Auggie break Annie's heart, then have his own broken, but Annie was sent back to work with Joan. Awwwk!
Annie's the star of this thing - figure it out or just wait for it...
I like the show as very light entertainment. Obviously it is not Homeland! But I find it entertaining nevertheless. Both lead characters are attractive and have a lot of charisma.

I feel this season the writers have tried to make the show a little bit more serious and sometimes it has worked and sometimes it hasn't.

I don't feel like Annie's character has fallen for Simon. It feels to me like Annie doesn't like failing miserably, But let's see what happens in next episode!
This episode flew by without feeling like anything happened. It wasn't even noise, just the bare bones mission and a little this and that with Augie and Arthur & Joan. Annie's call at the end felt like a need to succeed in a place where she had previously failed, and I don't know if they can get away with Agent Walker going rogue. Maybe Lena will back her play when it's said and done - Annie always brings home the goods in situations like this because that's what the writers want to do.
Most uninteresting use of Auggie yet - yawn. And the "sexual tension" between Annie and Eyal - fakery on both sides. What really disappointed about this episode is the lack of any sincere connection between ANY of the characters - maybe a bit between Auggie and Annie, but he's losing that by shutting her out - and a bit between Annie and Isaac that was probably more professionalism than emotive. This whole episode left me feeling cold.
I dunno if I would call the Annie and Eyal sexual intentions to be fakery. I mean, you don't smuggle the only file you have about some target (simon fisher) and jeopardize your career for some "fake feelings". You also don't show someone your most treasured thing in life (Eyal's son) if you didn't trust that person. Annie is just in some emotional turmoil. She does care for Eyal and is definitely attracted to him though I'd say Eyal is a large bit more attracted to Annie than the other way around. I guess you could call it close friends with benefits. :P
Annie might have developed feeling for Simon, but she's also holding on to him as an asset so that she might have the chance to redeem herself in the eyes of Lena, Joan and the rest of the CIA. But Lena could be right, Simon more than likely knows the truth about Annie and is planning on using her as well, setting the stage for an exciting game of one-upsmanship in the weeks to come. And now that Auggie has been busted back down to his former post, I expect he and Annie will have more time and opportunity to catch up and resume BFF status.

Joan was right when she told Arthur he married the wrong woman. She kind of sucks right now. But the answer for Arthur was right in front of his face, telling him about his chances of becoming Ambassador to China (and wanting to go with him). Let us all hope for a speedy divorce so Arthur can get on with his life while he still has a few good years left in him. :)
I think annie does have feelings for simon but they won't compromise her. She's in love with auggie, jai died right in front of her, she was suddenly moved to another department and then sent back to the DPD after basically a failed mission. Now the agency, probably joan, is having her evaluated by another agency and Lena dismissed her without a second thought. She probably feels like finishing this mission is the only thing she has left that will prove to herself and everyone else that she's still worthwhile. Also, i forgot about danielle moving to california and that she still thinks auggie's engaged. Her life sucks pretty hard right now.
I think Annie fell for Simon and yes that does reinforce Lena's "profemale" diatribe, but also Annie's "I'm not in the mud standard CIA operative moral ambiguities don't apply to me." In the end I don't think it will come down to doing her CIA duty or betraying her feelings. I think Annie will try to have her cake and eat it too, because the usual rules don't apply to her.
Yeah, I'm definitely on Annie's side here. I think she still knows what she's doing, even though that last call to Simon did sound like she's starting to develop feelings for him. Also, I think Auggie will be "fine" too.

Joan and Arthur fighting is nothing new. Both have very much alpha personalities and a lot of the time, they just don't mesh. Heck, even I knew Joan wasn't that arm-candy wife that Arthur needs if he gets that new position.
I think she fell for him a long time ago, but is also determined to finish the mission. So, yes, in a way the men were right, but she will play through the pain.
Reading your bit about CIA recruitment and relationships, I begin to suspect I have been in the CIA for a long time, and they hypnotize me when I'm not on a mission. Because if I'm not, I definitely should be. Recruitment video success!
I read that "therapy where" as "therapy whore", but that's a different show I watched last night.
Staff
That sounds like an AWESOME show.
No, seriously! Real thing on a real show! I mean, sort of a real show (it's Canadian): LA Complex. It is, in fact, really quite a terrible show. However, Jewel Staite. Note that the therapy whore was just in that one scene, it is not a show about Jewel Staite as a therapy whore, because that WOULD be an awesome show.
CW showed the first 6-8 episode "season" of LA Complex this summer down in them there US's of A. Americans are they showing the new ones NOW concurrently with the Canadian broadcast?
Jewel Staite...not in outer space? I'm intrigued.

• 8:00 pm