Covert Affairs: Do We Want the Show to Board the Annie/Auggie 'Ship?

Covert Affairs S03E02: "Sound and Vision"

After last week’s season premiere saw Auggie and Annie separated and sent to different departments, I was concerned that the new arrangement would seriously crimp the non-romantic romance the two have had going on since the very beginning of the series. What can I say? I’m a big obnoxious Auggie fan. I would watch Auggie be awesome for hours and I’m aware that that stance kind of ruins the whole rah rah girl power thing to which Covert Affairs clings so tightly, but, well, AUGGIE.

Upon Annie’s return from her scantily clad adventures with Simon, she and Lena were both called into Arthur’s office, revealing that Arthur is, in fact, Lena’s boss. That certainly cast her in a different light—she might be some renegade operative with a cavalier attitude about the rules, but she still has a boss. A male boss, nonetheless, which is a fact that really seems to irk her. We also learned that she and Joan used to work together and they don’t get along very well. Go figure.

Joan needed Annie back under her authority to go on an undercover mission with Auggie where the pair would masquerade as a married couple to track down a Spain-based hacker who went by the name Red Rover. Auggie was excited to do well for Joan, whom he credited as being the only person at Langley who had faith in his ability to operate in the field despite his blindness. He was also thrilled to test-drive the whole being married thing because Jai’s death forced him to reevaluate his life, which led him to buy an engagement ring for Parker. Annie looked absolutely crushed by his revelation, which was the first of a few hardships the duo faced during their fake marriage.

While it hasn’t become a huge issue yet, Auggie’s allegiance to Joan came in direct contrast to Annie’s admittance that she liked working with Lena because Lena trusted Annie to make her own decisions. Essentially, they are both allied with their respective superiors for pretty much the same reasons, but did anyone think Auggie seemed a little disappointed in Annie’s boss of choice? Lena and Joan clearly are not BFFs, with Lena rather openly resenting Joan’s decision to include Arthur in their mission, “It diminishes both of us when you run to a man to solve our problems.”

Honestly, I would be okay with dialing Lena back a little bit. It’s hard to take her serious as a strong female character when she’s written like a caricature of feminism. Feminist is not a bad word, but for a lot of people who still don’t “get it,” feminist = man-hater. So, I just think it’s really damaging that the most openly feminist character on the show comes off, for all intents and purposes, like a “man-hater.”

Anyway, I think Annie is going to have to make a decision at some point this season about where her allegiances truly lie. She’s going to get stuck between Joan and Lena and it’s going to be ugly. It’s also going to make awesome television.

Annie and Auggie were ultimately successful in the field, recruiting the woman behind the Red Rover handle, Pilar, to work for the CIA. They both saved each others’ butts a dozen times, though Auggie didn’t seem to appreciate Annie’s decision to hang back and check on him rather than pursue their lost package. He got over it and they both lived to hop another plane to their respective romantic interests: He headed off to propose to Parker and Annie met up with Charming Assassin Simon.

Next week: PIRATES!

Super Secret Spy Notes

– I loved Auggie and Annie chilling in Arthur’s office like two kids at the principal’s office: “Did you do something wrong?” “Probably.”

– So Jai’s dad is a suspect in his murder. Thoughts?

– Arthur and Joan bickered some more. This week, their squabbles over Auggie came off as a sort of deranged custody battle. They really need to stop.

– Early in the episode, Lena grilled Annie about whether or not she had a boyfriend or significant other and then Annie looked all sad and glum when Auggie told her about proposing to Parker. Is Covert Affairs finally going to jump on the Annie/Auggie bus? Do we even want them to? I’m still on the fence about it myself. They have such delightful brother-sister chemistry. Real romance between the two of them might be...weird. What do you think?

Covert Affairs "Sound and Vision" Photos

I REALLY want Annie and Auggie to get 2gether before Season 3 ends, I can't handle the slow burn of their relationship any longer it's driving me mad! LOL!
Did you really write "awesome television" while describing Covert Affairs? Wow.
To be honest i think this is how the whole Auggie and Parker thing is going to work out:

1) Parker accepted but when hugging Auggie the look on her face read unsure to me and she might leave because he's part of the CIA and its a dangerous life, and he lied to her about a huge part of his life. im thinking she might say "im sorry, but i cant."

2) She could end up dieing in some accident

3)She could be someone who was hired to get close to Auggie to get information.

Im thinking the first one, maybe the second, but probably not the third
I would love to see these to together!! they make a perfect team. I would like to see it start off kind of slow and let it grow, sort of like the whole tony and ziva thing off NCIS but maybe not quite that long...:) anyways you can already tell Annie has feelings for Auggie, and Auggie does show that he cares for her, it could grow to be something more. I watched tonights episode where Auggie proposes to Parker and it made me sad because I am deeply routing for Annie/Auggie to happen. Well you never know. I think the two of them would be great together and make great TV.<3
I just started watching the series. and i must say i love it :D ... tell me this show is doing good and going to go for another season? :D
I think it is a very entertaining show... almost like the 1 month old baby sister to Homeland LOL!

Annie & Auggie... mmm I don't know... not yet!
Am I the only person who doesn't want Annie/Auggie? I love Auggie as a character but I just don't think they'd make a good couple. They're better off as friends.
I'm an Auggie girl too. I watch solely for Auggie and I ain't afraid to admit it!LOL! I love that this season he seems to be getting more and more screentime. It's like they've come to grips that he's probably the biggest appeal of this show. Not to take anything away from Piper who is also fantastic.

A&A. I didn't know I liked it until I didn't not like the subtle suggestions that they could be something more. I'm typically more indifferent on ships in general. I mean sometimes they're cool, and other times it bugs me that the overwhelming message on tv is that there are no chances of platonic relationships ever. But Annie and Auggie...if they go in that direction I'd actually enjoy it, and if they don't I'd still enjoy it, because I enjoy them interacting however I get it.

YES on the Lena and the feminism stuff. She does seem a bit too militant feminist in a way that makes her less admirable and more annoying. They play it up too much. I was with her in regards to the Agency being a Man's world etc...etc...That pretty much sums up most work experiences and that's the type of convo one has regulary. I wasn't even bothered by the sleeping with marks etc spiel, because even though I resent the feminist implication that being an empowered female means being exactly like a man...whatever. But the clothes, the combat boots, the putting down men/man hating to build up women thing...it was all too much. So by the time she got to that bit where she was reprimanding Joan for bring a man into their little tiff...my eyes may have gotten lost in the back of my head for a bit.
I think they would be great together. the show is the best when Auggie has a big role in it. Although it is totally frustrating and unbelievable that he is holding that job blind. I wish they'd invent an operation to cure him, marry him with Annie and give them team assignments every week. A perfect show!
I would love to see auggie and annie together they are perfect for eachother I think Auggie always knows where annie is and making sure she is safe. she almost told him how she feels at the end of the last season and she was sad when he said he was going to propose to parker. I think they should be together.
I don't care whether they get together or not, just keep showing Auggie!

However, the Joan's marriage storyline has gotten old. They should either divorce or start trusting each other. I was jazzed when Annie got a new boss cause I thought maybe I wouldn't have to see Joan anymore.
SLAM/BANG Auggie/Annie romance...I am so there...can't wait. And, guess that Auggie would have to take off his shirt. THUD!

Cec
I personally want Annie and Auggie to happen. What I really like about their relationship is that in the beginning, they showed no romantic feelings for each other. They started out as friends and they have stayed just friends. This is how the strongest relationships are usually formed. In real life there aren't necessarily fireworks from the start, there isn't palpable tension, like with Castle and Beckett. It doesn't have to happen right away, this is something I would like the writers to take their time with. Annie called Auggie her best friend. Your partner in life should be your best friend. This could be the start of something awesome. Love comes softly.
I'm happy that Annie finally traded her 2x4 in for a gun! I have to admit that Gorham's non-reaction acting is surperb! Do I want Annie and Auggie get together? of course I do but only after she has Mercer out of her system and admits that Auggie makes her a better person/spy.
I'm not a big fan of costars hooking up, so even though these two would probably make a cute couple, I'm definitely on the fence and think they should remain friends like they always have. Very close friends, but just friends.

I do like the darker tone of the show this season. Annie is definitely having to watch her step a lot more often, as well as working for a new boss who lets her step where she wants. I for one am a fan of Lena. She has a edge to her that Joan lacks, not that I don't like Joan. Love her! In fact the future catfights will make some good dramatic tv in my opinion. Lena also seems to have a dark past that I'd love to explore.

As for the whole feminism thing, maybe its just me, but I'm not seeing it. Lena just seemed to be calling Joan out on running to her husband (the boss!) to solve her problems, which was more than justified to me.
I also love Auggie he is the main reason I have watched and keep watching the show I want more Auggie :) and I don't know about the Annie Auggie thing yes it was sad to see her crushed but the only time she shows intrest in him is when hes unavalible which is so bitch like of a thing to do its like she wants him to just be there whenever she wants him and disaper when she thinks something better or easyer comes along and if it dosen't work out well he should be waiting for her I hate women like that, anyway sorry for the rant I really shouldn't care lol, so to sum up I heart Auggie and whatever story line makes hom more involved in the show is ok with me.
Annie is a wreck, she looks at Auggie as a potential partner only when it's inconvenient. She also pines over Ben Mercer when she can't have him, and when she does she cools on the guy. The writing behind the character is a bit too sloppy there, especially when she's really good at her job otherwise.

The thing with Lena is a problem for 2 reasons: first is casting Sarah Clarke (Nina from 24) in the role, which suggests strength but also mistrust; and second is Annie is fresh out of The Farm and Lena is tossing her into the deep end way too early. Yes the girl has some successes thus far, but she's not experienced enough to handle what Lena is supposed to be doing here, so either Lena is a terrible manager who wastes vital and irreplaceable assets like Annie, or she's got something going on we just don't know about, but either way it's bad writing.
Re: Lena & Joan

My Wife: "What's their beef, did they go to school together or something?"

Me: "Probably just the undeniable fact that all women secretly hate each other."

Wife: *dirty look*
You may be in trouble dude
I love your feminism analysis.
I don't think I see the Annie/Auggie relationship as brother sister but more as best friends. And regardless of whether there are lasting romantic feelings in a male-female best friends duo, its always hard when you realize that the person you care about and knows you best is suddenly putting someone else first. I think that's what happening with Annie, not necessarily feeling jealous romantically--she gets plenty of her own romantic interests--but more that she realizes she isn't Auggie's best girl and confidant anymore.
I thought I'd be bugged by the show going down the Annie&Auggie road, but I don't appear to be. Suddenly I was all for it. I think because I am a little in love with both Annie and Auggie myself, so how could they not be in love with each other?

I didn't even notice that Lena was a feminist so much. That's normal work stuff. I've had that conversation at work several times (minus 2 words). The addition of the words "a man" doesn't say to me feminist so much as it says "jesus joan, try to be an independent adult woman and not a little girl".
I'm betting on two outcomes for Auggie's proposal: 1) Parker doesn't accept. She thinks it's romantic, but thinks it's too soon and that her relationship to Auggie is not mature enough. Or maybe she even has found another man in Eritrea. 2) She does accept, but dies soon after. Either way, Auggie will return home with his tail between his legs only to be comforted by Annie.

If something should happen between Auggie and Annie is a difficult question. On one had I'm really rooting for them. They would make a cute couple. But then what? That's always the problem. Does the main characters getting together kill the tension that makes the show so interesting? Do we then have to watch them dance around the are we/aren't we question when their missions put them in danger?

MaryAnn, I absolutely agree with you on Lena. I like her character, but please make her less of a caricature of a feminist. Still today it's so rare for Hollywood to create female characters who are actually smart women and feminists. And when occasionally we get to see a woman like that, she is turned into an oversimplified, stereotypical and exaggerated caricature which is easy to hate or laugh at. Most people today fully agree with supporting equality, but refuse to call themselves feminists even though it is the accurate label for that. And a big reason for their refusal is that the media has given the label such a bad rep.
Staff
I'm kinda leaning toward option number 2 that you presented there. Auggie and Annie could go either way in the aftermath, but I agree that the "then what" question is nagging. I wouldn't want them to enter an endless cycle of hook up/break up/hook up every season. That would awful.

Re: Lena: Exactly! The line about "going to a man" just did it for me. It just seemed like such a ham-fisted attempt to remind us all that "LENA IS HER OWN WOMAN. RAWR." I thought that the comment in the premiere, about male spies being encouraged to sleep with targets while the women were discouraged, and Lena's disagreement with that policy, summed her up well and made an excellent point about institutional inequality. Lena thinks that is flawed logic and doesn't adhere to it in her department. BOOM. That's all we needed. The constant harping on it is annoying because from the very beginning, I always took Covert Affairs to be a pro-feminism show anyway. Sure, it had it's flaws, but it tried. I never questioned whether Annie or Joan were feminists because how could they not be? They were both presented as respected, successful, professional women in a field staffed predominantly with men and it worked.

There were so many other valid complaints that Lena could have made to Joan about involving Arthur in their squabble: she didn't appreciate Joan dragging her husband into it, she didn't appreciate Joan dragging their boss into it, etc. But to sit there and say that Joan diminished them by dragging a "MAN" into it was just silly. It was an immature attempt to reaffirm Lena's feminism, as understood by writers who apparently don't understand feminism themselves.
More +
This has turned out to be a really great show with not enough episodes and too long a wait between seasons. I tend to not watch them all up and have none to watch and have no problem rewatching when that happens. I've loved Kari Matchett for a long time and always enjoy her and Chris Gorham ever since Jake 2.0. Piper Perabo is wonderful as Annie and the rest of the cast is good, The show is not as bold as Alias and more realistic I believe but I do like Alias as I call it Buffy the Spy in contrast. I don't really care where Covert Affairs goes because they seem to always make me happy in that respect. And as long as Augie and Joan hang around whatever they do is fine with me. I love this show...
And last weeks episode had so much promise. But now we're back in the same ol same ol. But a little different. I would have appreciated more if they would have given Annie a few more episodes of being a badass and then had to have a case back under Joan so that Annie and we could see the contrast of the two "styles" of Lena vs Joan. Because I want Lena's style more, I want Annie to be a competent agent. The romantic side was kind of silly. It seemed forced. Lena's forced feminism aside, I want Annie to be better. And getting in a tiff about Auggie asking his girl to marry him and then running to spend the night with the bad guy was kind of dumb. This isn't Junior year at Georgetown. Also, is Simon so thick that he wouldn't find Annie appearing out of no where in Munich from Marrakech, which is probably nearly 2,000 miles away, kind of odd?

Spy Notes;

Jai's dad I doubt had anything to do with it. Unless he is associated with the supposed bad guy of the season. Simon had the big or little dipper like tattoo on his back and that was on one of the boxes that Auggie had of Jai's brought into the office. So there is a link between that guy and the bombing. Whether his dad is involved with Simon remains to be seen.

However, who dropped the ball? If Arthur was having Jai followed, who missed someone planting a bomb in his car. This is what happens when you outsource. And was the guy in the trench coat in the cafe one of the guys following Jai or the bomber, or someone else.

It still is a decent start to the season. It certainly is better than the first two episodes of Burn Notice.

I like the sibling relationship between Annie and Auggie, but I think I would LOVE it if they got together romantically. I think they are in a position where it would seem natural for them to do so.

Then again, I tend to go fangirl over even the subtlest romantic hints in shows. I also really, REALLY like Simon and Annie's spy tango with each other. I sort of like how Annie is unattached.
Staff
Exactly! Annie and Auggie could really go either way. They're a lot of fun as brother-sister, but it would be perfectly natural for that relationship to evolve. I just don't want them going back and forth. If they end up together, the decision needs to made and they need to get together and stay together. It would ruin a lot of the fun chemistry that they have going on if they get together and break up every season. I like unattached Annie too though. It's kind of nice to see her not pining for anyone for once.
I think, given that this show is on the blue sky network, Annie isn't going to turn into a seducer spy like the season opener suggested. Simon is going to be around for a while, but it seems like they are really opening the future for Annie and Auggie down the road. I also love the A&A chemistry but think Annie has always had a crush on Auggie and I am ok with that going nowhere.

Someone mentioned Castle, but that show has always been about the URST which can be a detriment as the years drag on (ie Bones and JAG), and I wouldn't want Covert Affairs to stray to far into that territory. A Mutual Appreciation Society in Denial can get boring fast.
My sister mentioned that she wasn't at all shocked when Jai died, i too think he's still alive. As for the Annie/Auggie thing, like MaryAnn I'm on the fence. That sounds weird coming from me especially when at the same time I'm glad Castle and Beckett hooked up.
I also wonder if Jai is still alive. Not sure just why...kind of a hunch. He is an interesting character for the show and seems unlikely they would kick him to the curb. And...am ALL THERE for an Auggie/Annie romance...could be REALLY hot.
Many shows force romance where there is no basis but in Covert Affairs, I feel it is just quite natural that having been very close colleagues and friends, Annie develops feelings for Auggie (who is really awesome!)... It looks completely natural that Annie realises this now as she has no love interest (I lost track of Doc. Scott but he's no longer in the picture...), she is at least a little traumatised by Jai's death (aside: Jai don't be dead please!) and spooked by Auggie's sudden proposal plans to Parker...
"their squabbles came off as a sort of deranged custody battle"

Spot on, haha.
Don't board the Annie-Auggie ship just yet, not this season anyway. I like the Hacker chick, hope she shows in future episodes. Don't think Jai's dad did him in. I mean come on, who really thinks Jai's really died?
Am I the only person who doesn't believe for a second that Jai is dead?
I feel the same. He just happens to call Annie to meet him and then just happens to blow up. Nuh-uh. He needed someone to witness his "death".
I'm sorry I'm usually on the whole conspiracy track too, but I read an interview with the producer-creator-I can't remember and he said that the person who dies in the pilot is REALLY REALLY dead. Now, maybe he just wanted to make fans believe Jai's actually dead so that when we find out he's actually alive we'll be genuinely surprised and not all "I told you so" about it but on the other hand when they give spoilers or information about a show they'd rather shut up than say something false, so I believe that if they said so it must be true!
I don't believe it either. If we don't see his dead body firsthand, then he isn't dead.
I really want to believe that too....
Nope. You know that Arthur knows it too.