Covert Affairs' Season 3 Finale: The Band Was All Together

Covert Affairs S03E16: “Lady Stardust”

The first half of Covert Affairs’ third season gave us some of the very best storytelling and character growth we’ve ever seen on the USA Network staple. It was so delightful that the definite decline in anything resembling a coherent story in the latter half of the season was hard to stomach. However, last week’s penultimate episode took some welcome steps toward rectifying many of the flaws that came after the defeat of big baddie Lena Smith, and the finale was more than happy to roll with them... which is awesome.

Fresh off of murdering his girlfriend (or not murdering her, as we’d later find out) Khalid had Eyal tied to a chair and Annie had 24 hours to deliver the names of the CIA operatives who'd infiltrated Khalid's father’s company before Khalid’s hospitality ran out. Annie was pretty quick to roll over on her fellow agents, which is certainly one of my lingering concerns when it comes to “Lady Stardust” and one that I doubt will get much attention when we return for Season 4 since it’s apparent that Annie Walker is back to being the moral compass of the CIA and every single choice she makes is always the right one. Eye-roll.

Lucky for Annie (and those operatives), Joan and Auggie banded together to give Annie a hand. With Auggie on the scene, they managed to formulate a plan to rescue Eyal without completely compromising fellow agents’ lives. In the end, the only information Annie passed to Khalid was the real identity of Megan’s killer (hi dad!), but I was still left with the impression that if Auggie and Joan hadn't intervened, Annie would have theoretically handed over the names. After all, it was Auggie who acquired the handy-dandy blank-firing gun that gave Annie the leverage to bluff her way through the hostage exchange. If Annie had no intention of giving Khalid the names he demanded, then why bother going through the complicated infiltration of the consulate in order to uncover them in the first place?

Though I have to admit, it was an impressive bit of spywork, staging a mugging to justify access to the American consulate infirmary—which is where, apparently, the only computers capable of tapping into the government’s super secret closed-circuit internet were. I’m sure Danielle would be thrilled to know Annie used her name during her extracurricular espionage. Actually, I thought that was a pretty sloppy move, but I chalked it up to desperate times and all that.

So fine, Annie is back to being a total waste of a spy. I’ll cling to that handful of early Season 3 episodes where I didn’t have to be in a particular mindset—like, say, drunk—to get through her missions without rolling my eyeballs right out of their sockets. I mean, as soon as Annie got the call to stand down on her pursuit of Khalid because the Saudi government and the Dutch government had decided to be friends again, as soon as she lifted Eyal’s gun upon disconnecting the call, my insta-thought was, “She’s going to do something stupid, isn’t she?”

Yes and no.

Yes, Annie fled the safety of the S.S. Getaway Boat to track down Khalid before he hopped on his daddy’s chopper and flew home. She claimed that the CIA totally wanted her to kill the dude, even though no one had said anything even remotely close to that. I can kind of see her rationale, but I also kind of think she’s a dingbat, so, whatever.

But in the end, Annie let Khalid go. She shared her information about who really killed Megan, and even though Megan totally sucked and I didn’t mourn her death even a little bit, the revelation that Khalid actually sincerely loved her and wasn’t just using her was a nice alternative to the heartless terrorist persona we’d been led to believe in for the past several episodes. After dropping that cheerful little bombshell, Annie told Khalid, “What you do with that information is up to you,” and my money is on either outright ganking Daddy Dearest or eventually becoming an asset himself.

Back with the boys, Eyal asked Annie to run away with him. She showed some growth from the whole Simon fiasco by turning him down, leaving the playing field nice and open for Auggie to score a total touchdown. He asked her out on a real date and she accepted, and then he decided that Friday at eight was entirely too long to wait and showed up at her apartment. Ladies and gentlemen, there was a kiss!

And back in the States, while Annie and Auggie were busy rescuing Eyal and getting all snuggly on the flight back, Henry Wilcox, Jai’s father, was released from prison for assisting in that drone strike a few episodes back and Arthur decided to extend an olive branch to the disgraced CIA official by working to have Jai’s missions declassified and his name added to the memorial for fallen operatives. His effort was promptly rejected by Henry who, after briefly seeming civil last week, was back to hating Arthur’s guts, replying to Arthur’s, “I’m sorry for your loss” with a snarky, bitter, “No you’re not.”

Ouch.

Buy hey, maybe the man is on to something. Or maybe we’re supposed to think he’s on to something. Or maybe he’s playing Annie like so many others before. Wilcox called a secret meeting with Annie at the diner where Jai went kaboom and handed her a file. She was reluctant to take it, claiming that she wasn’t going behind Joan and Arthur’s backs anymore, but after some prodding, she peeked and whatever she saw was startling. Greeeeat.

While I feel like Annie should know better than to just take anything Henry Wilcox says, claims, or hands to her at face value (I mean, c’mon, the last time someone conveniently handed her a world-shattering file, the intel was doctored), I just want to point out how amazingly shot that entire scene was as a sort of inversion of the meeting with Jai that started this entire season. They met at the same diner, under the same rainy weather conditions, and (I think?) shared the same booth—the only difference being that the meeting with Henry took place at night, under cover of darkness, while the ill-fated one with Jai was in mid-afternoon. I see what you did there, Covert Affairs.

QUESTIONS:

1. What do you think was in the file Henry gave Annie? Can he be trusted?

2. Auggie/Annie: awesome? Or are we dreading the inevitable break-up and awkwardness?

3. What do you want to see more (or less!) of when Covert Affairs returns for Season 4?

4. Are we ever going to find out what’s in Simon’s freaking trunk?

I think ithe Annie/Auggie relationship actually strenghens Annie's very wishy-washy character. Auggie is solid and constant. Other than that she has fallen in bed with about anyone who "fill in the blank"---I just do not like that type of female lead. I'm surprised Auggie still WANTS her!!! She needs to make a commitment and stick with it.
I'm so glad Annie and Auggie finally got together! I know it's a cliché but I'm happy that the creators finally went there, I can't wait to see how their relationship deepens come Season 4, I'm also intrigued by the file and mission that Henry Wilcox wants Annie to do, I for one don't trust Henry Wilcox as far as I can throw him and I hope early on in Season 4 that Annie reads Auggie in on the 'file' because I defiantly think that this 'mission' that Henry wants her to do is something that she can't do solo. I hope Danielle comes back, I can't wait to see her reaction to Annie/Auggie as a couple! I am also stoked to see Eyal come back I hope he, Auggie, & Annie team up again those three really do make a amazing team! I'm also excited to see how Joan & Arthur take the news that Annie/Auggie are a item! IS IT JULY YET?!
i totally agree, im just not feeling the chemistry between auggie and annie at this stage!! I WANT HER TO GET WITH EYAL! I'm sorry but am I the only one who's wondering how they magically seem to bump into each other and annie never shuts down his flirting, but when it comes down to the initial relationship, she backs away. So dissapointed. Auggie is such a best friend to Annie, it will be so awkward later:(:( I want Annie to stop with the rookie season 1 mistakes. She should know better now, and I fully agree with your comments with the eye-rolls when she makes classic trusting Annie mistakes. Eyal has a good head, and I love it when he's involved with the missions! Auggie is ingenious and I am incredulous how they dont get annoyed at Annie sometimes when she breaches ALL the rules and takes matters into her own hands. But nevertheless I am so obsessed with this show! I kinda wanted a return of Ben Mercer, but we'll see:)
Annie and Auggie completely awesome. I have stayed up almost all night watching episodes waiting for them to get together. Wasn't impressed with Annie's intimacy with Simon as she was so obviously in love with Auggie but never thought she would have the chance when he asked Parker to marry him. But, and there is a but ... Eyal is so much more grown up and he fact that they never slept together made that more appealing - they actually had time to have some trust first. There is the complete friendship between Annie and Auggie though and well, in reality, that is what my dreams are made of!! I won't be able to watch them break up without getting really grumpy though and if she decides she 'has' to cheat on him I will stop watching!
I have to add, it really annoyed me how Annie so easily got off the moving barge under the bridge without Auggie or Eyal noticing and then for Eyal not to see her walking across the bridge or running after her - good spy work guys.
1. No clue, but I'm pretty sure he can't be trusted. Maybe what's in the file is "true" but he love to manipulate and Annie... is a pretty good target.
2. Not awesome imo. I loved them as friends, and I loved the Simon/Annie and was hoping for Eyal/Annie to be the slow-growing relationship of the whole show. Annie/Auggie just doesn't work for me romantically. The guy was just fianced ffs! She was prepared to flee with another guy!
3. More Eyal, always, more shirtless Auggie because life's to short not to have these little pleasures, more well written plot like the whole beginning of Season 3 (though as a whole; I think S3 was a step up from the two previous ones)...
4. I thought he said it at some point. Wasn't it cloths?
Alright. As an analyst who loves this show (and im not sure why) I have some thoughts. First, more Eyal. More. Lots more. He is one of my most favorite "unknown" actors out there. I love him on this show and I love the chemistry between him and Annie. Next, the first 2 seasons there was some chemistry going on between Augie an Annie and I was all for it, as I love Augie. But season 3, the chemistry is more like best friends who made some pack "if we turn 30 and are still single, lets hook up". What really bothers me about the show is the repetitiveness of Annie. Not all spies need to FIGHT and literally run around town chasing each others.. How about we get some real intel analysis going on? Lets see the other sides of the intel world! As is, this part of the show is so unrealistic. Real operatives do not go around getting in fights every week and burning up the pavement. There is soooooooooooooooo much more to the intel community then what this show is giving us. There is sooooooooooooo much more they can do with this show if they just expand the writing into a bit of reality.
I find myself feeling a bit sorry for Augie, Annie is such a slut. First Ben Mercer, then Eyal, then when Augie rebuffed her earlier she flew immediately to sleep with that butt ugly Simon dude.
1. I have no idea. Proof that Arthur and Joan were doing something hinky and only using Annie? Maybe they had Ben Mercer killed. Yes, I brought it right back to Ben. No, I don't know why. I find that usually the complete jackasses with questionable morals whom you tend to despise ironically enough tend to be the most trustworthy. I can't lie. Henry might be legit.
2. I'll go for awesome. I love Auggie and I like their chemistry. I've always been indifferent on whether or not they actually end up together romantically. I just like them together in however way I get them.
3. Is it wrong to ask for more Eyal when we've gotten more than I ever imagine we would in season three? It just goes to show how much I love his character.In a perfect Covert Affairs world, he'd work with Annie and Auggie and there would just be awesomeness all the time. Ummm some growth from Annie. Some going undercover and looking like she's going undercover. A more involved Joan. Auggie and Annie awesomeness. I want Annie to really grow as a character. There is a redundancy in pretty much everything she does that is aggravating. Some actually inter office stuff...all this other stuff with Henry and with Jai being dead is floating around and it all feels shoved in the background and unfinished.
4. Simon who? What trunk? ;)
Too late or bad timing but I don t really feel the Annie/Auggie relation is good for the show right now. No chemistery. I mean as lover long gone. Was there in season one and 2 but now for me they are more sister and brother. There is more chemistery with the mossad agent .
Who gonna trust Henry one the actor always plays bad guy
on question #1: Jai Wilcox is alive and hiding out disabled from the blast and will return for two episodes to finish what he started before he was "killed" with Annie helping him.
I'm fine with that whole storyline just because Gregory Itzin is the best actor on this show, and any excuse to have him be a major part of the show is ok with me. I'm not entirely sure why I watch this show, I think I just miss Alias.

It's watchable, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing that brings me back every week wanting more either. Charles Logan could be the answer.
1. In one word? Nope!
2. Yup! ;) Though I am quite sure we'll have to deal with al kinds of issues before long, they will endure.
3. What do I want to see more of...? Shirtless Auggie? ;) Besides that, some good missions would be nice,
4. I have nog fraking clue.. Maybe
Yes, that would have been very uncool of Annie to hand over those names to Khalid, but you were inaccurate in calling them fellow agents or operatives...he was looking for the names of the assets that work in his company. Still would have been a death sentence for those people, but they were not fellow agents...Annie wouldn't do that.
1. Well I think he may have given her a folder showing that somehow Arthur had something to do with Jai's death or that he knew it would happen, because during the ceremony where they declared Jai an honourable man Arthur went to say 'I'm sorry for your loss' (or something like that) and Henry got up and said 'No you're not!' in a very bitter tone like it was more than just a 'You don't like me so you're lying' kind of way, it felt more personal. (then again I am likely reading waaay to much into it). HE probably wants revenge if I'm right so as far as his motives will be trustworthy his alliance with Annie will not.
2. Boom! About time. But I won't be surprised if they screw it up (the writers that is).
3. Less of the moral compass dilemmas, she works for the CIA not on sesame street.
4. No, not unless it becomes a plot central thing - It could end up being glossed over entirely if they set up for a specific plot then changed their minds... Or they forgot :P
Arthur clearly does not trust Henry and wants to know what he is really up to. While we did not see it, I think Arthur and Annie have a sting in place and it will take up a large chunk of next season.
OMG, I wish I knew they were shooting in Amsterdam, that's less than an hour away from my home. Would have been cool to watch it. :-)

Is it just me or did Bones start a trend? First in Bones the two leading characters "find" eachother, then Castle and now Covert Affairs. Which show is next? NCIS LA (kensi and deeks)?
This "trend" has been going on since I started watching TV back in the 60's.........., Original "Get Smart", Maxwell smart, Agent 99
I am willing to see where the Auggie/Annie relationship is going but I kind of like her with Eyal. Plus, I love whole intrigue of whatever intel Henry gave her. I just love the mind games that she learned from Lina! Can't wait to see what's next.
Yes, I have always thought Auggie and Annie were more brother and sister like........, hey writers...., give Auggie his sight back.
I don't think that is a good idea. It destroys who the character is: he is a wounded veteran who is amazing at what he does. It would be too soap-y...
It's a good thing Auggie's blind, because when he got to Annie's, she looked like she hadn't slept in a month. By TV standards, anyway.
I actually liked that since she'd been running nonstop for a long time and finally having a chance to relax. Usually she is all glossy when on the run or captured.
Ha, very true.
Still looked better than any of us would have.
I really liked how this season ended, with an improved Annie and her and Auggie hooking up. While I think their relationship would be better as friends, I'm not mad at it. I don't think it will last long though.

Wilcox can't be trusted at all; however, whatever Annie saw in that folder prompted her to look past her distrust of him, which makes me beyond excited and intrigued to see where this is going.

Annie is cool to me, not a dingbat. In fact she's the total opposite. She had every reason in the world to execute Kalid, yet used evidence and words to turn him against his father, which I think will end just like Annie said it would. That is very good to me. Plus, you still punish her for the whole "heart of gold" persona, which is unfair bullcrap to me. It makes her a little vulnerable, but it also makes her different in a very, very good way. She actually thinks twice before screwing people over, ya know, spycraft and crap. So give her a break!!
I hope I won't get lynched here but I prefer Eyal (they didn't kill him Yay!) & Annie. Auggie & Annie looks too much like brother & sister...
Eyal is faaaar sexier, Auggie is just cute (blind or not.) Although I have to say that the way he touched her before the kiss was... well done?
I definitely liked this season (I tolerated the last 2) but yes some eps could have been much better.
I don't know if whatever Henry showed Annie is going to make sense or not. Henry is one of the few characters that ring true. Most of them feel way too contrived, not authentic.
So did Annie "got on board" because what she was shown was "terrible/shocking"? Or because she saw an opportunity to jump into the game and be a real player, spin a plot or two of her own?
Agreed. I've always wanted her with Zankou..err Eyal rather than Auggie. I like their relationship as more Big Brother/Little Sister than anything else. Still think (even with the meh of a few episodes near the end) this was the best season yet.

As a matter of fact, I put the show this season on the list with The Walking Dead and Dexter as comeback SEASONS of the year.

Again SEASONS not SHOWS, since the other two are light years ahead of this in quality.
Wasn't that a smoking boat chase in true GTA format? Ridiculous! Could it have moved any slower? I still don't know how women fight or run in high heels? The thing I like about this show is it being on location and not in a studio for the overseas footage. Cudos for that.
I though about that myself... but then I thought it didn't matter because Khalid wanted info not to kill them. What would have been the point in killing them since he said from the beginning that he was looking for info...
It was just so much fun to watch. First they ran for their life just to end up on a boat that drove away like a swan :)))
I know I was just thinking that it was the worst getaway vehicle imaginable....it was so freaking slow!!!
They did have weapons though, did they not?
The problem with this episode is that, while everything ended up working out well, it was almost entirely DESPITE Annie's behavior rather than because of it, and I'm not sure I want any more piece of that.

As for Annie / Auggie, I know it's what the squee-bunch want, but it never felt authentic to me, so either they'll have to force it or break it.

Everything with Henry Wilcox was so steeped in whispers of suggestions that I haven't a fogging clue as to what it is, but if Annie is in that fast it's gotta be something significant... or a total ripoff.
Staff
"The problem with this episode is that, while everything ended up working out well, it was almost entirely DESPITE Annie's behavior rather than because of it..."

That's pretty much the problem with the entire series. It got better earlier this season...then riiiight back to business as usual after Russia.

I'm torn on Annie/Auggie. I'm totally in the squee-bunch, but I'm also struggling to find the authentic feelings surrounding it.
Auggie is a nice boy but she had more chemistry with Khalid than with Mr. Anderson. I actually had to turn away from the kissing scene. I felt as squeamish as a 6 year old. So icky. Worst scene of it's kind I have ever had to witnessed. Like kissing his sister. And forced. It made me wonder if the "Henry" file had some info on Auggie and she is playing good spy with him. Hmmmm.

The other super weird scene was the train station. After EVERYTHING Annie has been through with Eyal over the last three seasons she stood there before him like she was waiting in line to order an egg mc muffin.

Nothing.

Not even her hand reaching out to touch his arm. Why...why..why give Eyal the bum's rush out of the side door suddenly especially after all of the time spent building their relationship? Did they think this might be the last season and they just had to hook up A & A in case they weren't given another season?

I hated that, especially when Oded Fehr did such an amazing job. To be honest, he is the only reason I watch this show. If he had asked me to go sailing around the Greek Islands with him, I would've answered "When do we leave?"
More +
Love him so much! Oded is amazing. I'm going to go back and watch Charmed now just so I can see more of him in the interim.
I made a post above...but I think Oded is the reason I watch it too. And well, I like to compare the show with reality. But Oded....love!
Questions:
1. No idea what it is - but Henry shouldn't be trusted. He's corrupted and probably rotting inside.
2. I'm happy they kissed, but I don't think their relationship is going to last. After all for the most of the series Auggie was for Annie like a brother.
3. More tough, gun wielding Annie. I think season 3 started to change her in a good way. I also wish Anne Dudek would return to the show.
4. I doubt that. I think Simon's story is closed for good.
I can't wait for season 4.
Yeah I miss Danielle too I hope she makes a reappearance in Season 4
Auggie deserves so much better. And instead he is going to get his heart played and then broken by a dingbat who should have been dead about 50 times now (some episodes she should have died more than once) all because TPTB think every last male on earth should be chasing after Annie. ::Unhappy::
It's the lips.
If I understand correctly, there's going to be a spin off show based on Auggie, so you can be happy and focus on that instead.
It appeared there was a five digit password on the computer room, 50,000 possible combinations---Annie Walker:Super Spy, Super Genius, guessed it in two tries.

I realize it would have made for some compelling TV to have her standing there for hours trying to get in, but why not at least a shot or two of here perplexed-spy-face look before the door pops open?

And more bikinis for next season!
Did you not watch the show closely? She didnt guess it, she used a CSI technique (im a CSI major) to lift fingerprint residue to see what numbers were pushed. The red piece of paper (where did she get it?) was like tissue paper and lifted the residue.
have you ever watched people entering password, it doesn't take a genius to know she was taken to the infirmary and probably saw the code being put in and knew the hand moved from top to bottom and such. all she needed was which keys were hit, it would greatly reduce the number of choices.
good point too
Actually it is 100,000 passwords----10^5=100,000
I believe 5 elements taken 5 by 5 with no repetition that is 5*4*3*2*1=120 combinations - still not bad for her to get it at the second time, right?
I'm not going to say that she didn´t get lucky as hell, but this trick comes very often in movies and tv shows - she hightlighted the 5 keys that were used to type the password with that red paper (the most use, the most dirty, so the paper sticks, i think), so she just had to guess the order of these 5 keys. Still quite a few combinations, but not 50,000. this trick works better when the password is a word, because then she would have had to make a real word with the selected keys combined, that is, she would have had additional clues for the order of the keys.
@bluemorphotat
passwords yes, passcodes no. they kinna used the wrong terminology. not that they shouldn't be, but it is fairly normal that they aren't.
you are right about the grease and sweat. oils in human skin are full of acids that eat ink and stuff over time. not just keyboards and keypads, as any techie who manages public computers knows, but also paper and stuff as any archivist or comic book collector has known for a long time
I don't think it is dirt, I believe it's grease & sweat that your fingers leave. Have you noticed how the letters on a keyboard start to fade with time?
Having said that: I believe passwords are changed regularly...
So... whatever.
The idea that I got from the last part of the episode was that Joan and Arthur were up to something unexplained. They had dark intentions when giving that information to Annie, I have no doubt. But what intentions? And after that final scene with Wilcox it looks like Annie has received some information that involves also Joan and Arthur and she is being asked (and accepted) to go against them (hopefully not Auggie). This is how it looks like. But we are missing far too much info, and we will have to wait till next summer to know what's up. Maybe Annie's part of a plot to uncover Wilcox secrets instead of Joan and Arthurs, or maybe it's something totally different. In any case, hope they make this show be as good as it can be, as they have shown us it can be. I was fine with silly Annie spy up to season 2, but I have to agree with MaryAnn that is rude to give us an excellent show for a few episodes just to take it all back again. Regarding Auggie and Annie's story, I feel rather cold about it, isn´t that weird? Oh well, at least they didn´t kill Eyal.
Ah with love from amsterdam?
Ok MaryAnn, enough. I had to register finally to just express my disappointment with some of the reviewers on this site. I love this site and find it a valuable asset, but lately the negative reviews have just killed that attitude. Plus there's the fact that there are a lot of things in these review that indicate you're either really drunk as you say or not full paying attention (watching two shows at once maybe?). I won't bother starting with the other reviews, but for this one:

"...then why bother going through the complicated infiltration of the consulate in order to uncover them in the first place?" - Annie knew the CIA hadn't killed Megan, so she wanted the whole file to prove to Khalid that it was the father's bodyguard, a play used in the last part of the episode.

"consulate infirmary—which is where, apparently, the only computers capable of tapping into the government's super secret closed-circuit internet were" - No, the asset Annie talked to said the entire building was wired for the access she needed but "her best shot is the computer terminal inside the Infirmary." What would be the point of meeting with the asset and ignoring their advice and choosing a harder to access terminal? Note: if this was sarcasm, touche, but it didn't sound like it. :/

"She claimed that the CIA totally wanted her to kill the dude, even though no one had said anything even remotely close to that." - Yeah, because two CIA heads are going to say "hey we want you to kill this guy unsanctioned" over the phone. Now I'm rolling my eyes at you. Let me explain. Khalid previously was buddy-buddy with the US until the CIA found out he worked with terrorists, so the CIA put him on the Interpol watch list, oh, _and also tried to kill him with a drone strike_. So it's pretty clear they wanted him dead, but let's keep going. If they didn't want Annie to kill him or take some kind of action, then why the call? They didn't call to say congrats on escaping or to catch up on the weather, that entire call was unnecessary otherwise because Annie was headed to a boat to get back to the US. If they wanted no action, they simply needn't call and she'd be home. They pulled a classic "Dexter" move, e.g. "We caught this murderer, but we forgot to read him his rights, so he gets away. Oh, what ever shall we do? Oh, by the way, he's at this location and here is his schedule because you didn't ask and we don't know what you would possibly use that information for *wink wink* "

4. Are we ever going to find out what's in Simon's freaking trunk? - Already found out. I would make a quip about not paying attention here, but this was kind of a small detail. When they were leaving Cuba at the airport (Episode 7, around the 36 minute mark), Simon tells Annie what was in the trunk: "Finally did open that trunk when we got to London by the way. My imagination had built the contents up so much, my curiosity just got the best of me." "And? What was inside?" "Clothes. Not guns, not knives, clothes." "You were protected by your parents love."

To finish, I don't know what the deal is with these reviews or the lack of detail in them. Maybe this is just a job (and I know we can all hate our jobs at times), or maybe you watch too many shows and all the details are jumbled and forgotten, or something else. I really do hope the attitude improves we these reviews though, you can hate the shows or the decisions they make sure, but I would hope that more attention is paid to them because it can change the outlook on the episodes if you're missing things.

- ecco
Staff
Hey there! I’m sorry we’ve been too negative for you lately. I totally understand how that can be a buzzkill. I can’t speak for my fellow recappers, but I assure you, I don’t particularly like writing negative reviews. It’s much easier to talk about how awesome something is than to slam it. However, when I sit down to recap a show, it’s a different mindset than when I sit down to watch something for fun. I certainly enjoy the shows that I cover, otherwise I wouldn’t be covering them, but it’s also my job to be objective and to an extent, detached from my own personal enjoyment of a series. When there are aspects of a show that I consider to be flawed, I can’t simply write them off just because I like a show. Flaws don’t necessarily mean that something is terrible and awful and not worth watching, but to ignore them would be irresponsible.
Overall, this was a good season for Covert Affairs. I’ve been watching since the beginning and have recapped the show for other sites in the past and trust me, this was not the harshest review I’ve ever given the show. As safibwana has said below me, as a finale recap, I had to address the season as a whole as well as the specific episode at hand. This season had a lot of great things: a tougher Annie, the complicated relationship with Simon, Lena Smith as a truly villainous villain, and a generally and genuinely captivating story as Annie slowly peeled away the layers of Lena’s manipulation. It also had a lot of issues, mostly revolving around Annie and the fact that we’re supposed to side with her over everything, what with being the heroine and all, even though much of her decision making process is flawed and so much of the good she accomplishes tends to be due to a seemingly endless supply of lucky breaks—she made a bad call with the drone, but it’s okay because it was a successful mission after all; she refused to cooperate with her superiors in the aftermath of her off-the-books revenge quest to Russia, but it’s okay because Joan was having a hard week and taking it out on Annie like a meanie. Annie constantly just falls into good luck and it gets tedious.
I can see how Annie interpreted the call about Khalid as a kill order, but I interpreted it as a call to stand down based on what we’ve seen Annie do in the past and the fact that Joan and Arthur have witnessed it all themselves as well. They’ve seen Annie make her missions personal and act accordingly emotional, often with disastrous results. Despite successfully saving Eyal and making it to the getaway vehicle, given Annie’s history, it was unlikely that she would simply write Khalid off. She’d go after him eventually. The fact that Auggie, who tends to be the voice of reason between the two of them, also jumped to tell Annie to stand down, confirmed that to me. But the great thing about interpreting ANYTHING is that there is very rarely one definitive answer.
Regarding the trunk, I remember the conversation about its contents clearly and I totally agree with your interpretation that it was a bonding moment between Annie and Simon. However, most trunks are not single use containers and given the repeated references to it and all the hullabaloo surrounding his sister handing the key over to Annie—it COULD have just been a nice gesture, and it could have been something more. As it stands, sure, we could never hear about the thing again and just accept that it was full of clothes, which would be a fine answer, but I won’t be surprised if it comes up later either.
I attempted to be balanced in this recap since it was the final one for the season and season 3 had a lot of good things in addition to the problematic elements. If that didn’t come across, I apologize.
More +
Just a couple points. This is not a negative review. If you want to post this over on the Revolution board, well, you'll still be being douchy, but at least it would make sense (not that it isn't well deserved).

Re: the trunk. You believed that crap story about the clothes? You weren't meant to.

Re: the phone call. That would be out of character for Joan and Arthur, who are slaves to the bureaucracy. You'd be reading the scene properly if it were Lena, but in this case I wouldn't feel comfortable placing a bet on either of your interpretations. Even money.

To finish, no, you did not HAVE to register just to be a dick. You demonstrated poor impulse control.
I dunno, I'm not convinced either way on either point, but I'm also not terribly invested in either answer, so whatever.

The thing about the negative reviews, having read reviews written by all the authors, I have seen every one of them get the "your review is too negative" post SO many times. It gets old. You think it gets old to read negative reviews, I think it gets old to read negative reviews of reviews, so I get where you are coming from, but I feel about your message the way you feel about her review.

I thought for a finale review it was pretty balanced, because she had to sort of wrap up the whole season, and as she pointed out there were some much stronger things in the first half of the season and some much weaker things in the last half.

And yeah, sorry, I wouldn't say defensive exactly since no one was criticizing me, but I was a bit of a dick in response to the tone I thought I perceived in your post. In my defense, it's fatigue on the particular topic. In the last couple weeks I've seen these same criticisms of Maryann for this show, Price for Vampire Diaries, Tim for Revolution, and and Lily for Once Upon a Time. Now, given the widespread nature of the complaint, I'd say it is a matter of editorial policy, so the sensible thing, rather than everyone complaining to each review, would be to take it up with Jen Trolio (no, I actually have no idea the right way to do that).
More +
While I do agree with you about Revolution (why I still watch it I'll never know), lol, this review was pretty negative (being drunk to watch it, rolling eyes, etc). I understand you're a veteran of this site, I see you post on many reviews, but there is no need to get defensive. MaryAnn, a critic/reviewer in her own right should be able to take some honest criticism. I apologize if it came off douchey, but after a few weeks with no change, yeah I might have exhibited some poor impulse control.

Re the trunk: Yeah, based on the rest of the episode, I did buy it. It was put in there as a counter for Annie's story about her postcards and what they meant to her. It was there to show these two spies letting their guards down and connecting on a deeper level. If you recall, in the same scene before he explains, Simon gives Annie a Cuban postcard as a very romantic gesture. Also keep in mind, the trunk story takes place when Simon was a child, there's no deep conspiracy here, even in this show about the CIA, his parents weren't spies with a secret intel stash or some cool weapon, you're just reading too much into it. It was brought up and quickly resolved as a mechanic to deepen their relationship and bond. It was a very similar technique to the "magic invisible blanket" in the locksmith vignette in the movie Crash, the parents just wanted their kids to feel safe and ok during some dangerous times.
More +
re: the phone call: I suppose we may just have to agree to disagree here, though I still feel my argument was very logical. If you remember the previous episode when Annie needed money, Joan forced her to "read her in" telling her the entire plan to take out Khalid. This plus the two other telling pieces in the phone lend strong support to them still wanting Khalid dead, but having no way to do it officially. They had a chance to do it in the drone strike and they wanted to, but that missed, so all they had was hopes that Interpol would catch him. With that removed, while they are, yes, slaves to bureaucracy, they were also failed by this same bureaucracy with backroom deals. Had Joan not given Annie the money, had she not given Annie Khalid's whereabouts on the phone and had she not even called (remember Annie was on a boat on her way back to the US, the call was completely not needed), you might have an argument for them not wanting this to happen, but all three of those things happened, with even the location information being given without any prompts or asking by Annie. Do you really believe they didn't know what giving Annie that info and saying "unfortunately this terrorist is going to get away with it and we won't ever be able to get him again" would prompt her to do knowing she and the CIA had previous tried to kill him (or were at least OK with killing him)? Come on, hate Arthur and Joan all you want, but as head figures in the CIA I simply don't buy they are that stupid.
More +
This comment has been removed.
This comment has been removed.
This comment has been removed.
all i'm going to say is dang, i was happy with that. auggie and annie will work, coz no matter what happens they grew to love each other with all their flaws and they know their true selves. even simon knew only some of annie, and as much as eyal thinks he knows annie, he really doesn't. i'm just so happy..... :)
1. Henry can never be trusted. The file is probably something technically legit, but also misleading.
2. Auggie is ready to settle down. Annie is flighty as all hell. I don't trust this/her.
3. I want to see more of the opening theme. Always was my favorite part of the show. Apple Trees & Tangerines, I mean Power, I mean Flint Eastwood FTW! How this band is back to playing shitty local venues is beyond me.
4. Nope. Forgotten loose end never to be mentioned again.
Staff
1. Yup.
2. It just seemed kind of sudden. I always took them to be more brother/sister than romantically linked. I don't HATE it, but I hope it doesn't ruin the fun chemistry they already had when they inevitably break up (and you KNOW they're going to break up eventually).
3. Love the opening theme. Definitely one of my favorites on TV.
4. You're probably right. :/
They are a brother/sister band from Detroit. They went to LA. They went back to Detroit. It was not the success story I was hoping for them. (Flint Eastwood, not Annie/Auggie)
it was a good wrap to the season. Annie and Auggie = Awesome and I agree that Henry Wilcox should not be trusted at all.

Look forward to season 4
Staff
Me tooooo!
Annie has never really displayed romantic feelings toward Auggie, so I find her sudden interest...interesting. That being said, I've wanted to see them together since the beginning. However, with how she (at first) played Simon and then tried with Eyal, part of me thinks she may be doing it again...because of what she saw in the file from Henry Wilcox. I reeeeeally hope that's not the case.

...and I'm less than happy to have to wait until SUMMER for the next season!
I guess you do not watch the show. You can tell by the way she looks at him that there is a bit of feelings for him. She has the longing "what if" look, often. However, the chemistry is just so much stronger with Eyal.
Actually, at the end of, I think, last year, she was close to telling him how she felt, when he showed her his car. She put her hand over his and he detached them and told her he was going after Parker to tell her he loved her. So,an episode or two later, she slipped back to friend mode, but not before looking longingly at the ring he bought for Parker
I think she was thinking more about how their friendship would change if he married Parker.
That WAS a special moment about feelings between men. We are subtle in our communications on these matters.
I agree, and after Barcelona, he went to see Parker, and she decided screw this, and went to see Simon. But the best part of them getting together was how it mirrored her dream/vision when she was dying. She had that smile on her face, and she was happy. But Auggie is right that the way they live, it is hard to find someone. The best part is that Auggie had proven time and time again, and even if they had not gotten together this season, "he would never leave her". He said this with a certainty to Eyal, and I thought they might have a special moment about his feelings, but they are not that type of men. I hope to see Eyal again, as I really like those three as a team.
I totally agree with you and now I that I really think about it, their kiss was a lot like Annie' dream, great perception! I am so excited to see more of Eyal/Annie/Auggie team up come Season 4, those three really make a wonderful team!
Didn't Eyal say that first...that he would never leave her?