Dan Harmon Has Apologized for His Comments About Community Season 4, But Should He Be Forgiven? (POLL)

Community creator Dan Harmon hung out with capital-D Drama over the weekend, when he announced at his anything-goes podcast/live show Harmontown that he watched the fourth season Community—the season he was not part of after his firing—and did not care for it. At all. In fact, he compared watching Season 4, specifically seeing James Brolin play Jeff's dad, to "being held down and watching your family get raped on a beach." And "flipping through Instagram just watching your girlfriend blow everyone." Colorful.

Harmon had previously said he didn't "want to be a jerk" about watching Season 4, and noted that many writers he'd worked with were still on staff while he was unemployed. Maybe Harmon has a different definition of what a "jerk" is, but in my neck of the woods, comparing someone's work to a rape and gangbangs isn't considered nice unless they were actually raping or gangbanging.

It's more risky (and entertaining) behavior for the anti-establishment Harmon, who had no problem pissing on his bosses at Sony TV, too. He said Sony pushed for infighting among writers and considered writers interchangeable.

Harmon has since apologized for his comments in a blog post titled, "It Won't Happen Again." (Spoiler alert: It will happen again. This is what Harmon does.) He apologized to fans, the Season 4 writers, and the cast and crew for his remarks, but did not mention Sony or Season 4 showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio. He also acknowledged that he said what he said in a cheap attempt to get laughs and that his head "was up his ass."

But are you letting him off the hook? Does the apology make amends? Did he have the right to say those things in the first place? Are you sick of his sh*t? Let's get all opinion-y about this with a poll!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and as it was his show before being taken, he, more than anyone is perfectly justified to voice that opinion.
So "Community" is still on? Wow. Who knew? Who's Dan Harmon, anyway? Sounds like a classless whiner.
But, hey, maybe you guys actually know the guy. Just wonder if you'd excuse, say, Chuck Lorre if he said stuff like that...
I would. Chuck Lorre is awesome. As is Dan Harmon.

Nice attempt at trolling, though.
Irony, actually, not trolling. Dan Harmon may be "awesome" as a showrunner (though "mercurial" might be a better term given that this show's one consistent feature has been its inconsistency), but his comments showed zero class.
I thought season 4 was pretty terrible with one possible exception. The Sophie B. Hawkins dance episode. I really felt like that one episode out of the whole season, to me at least, felt like classic Community. I remember wondering at the time, if it was possibly an unfilmed Dan Harmon episode from season 3.
Obv rape jokes aren't cool, this is boring now anyone would think Series 4 was a complete left turn, series 3 wasn't great in places and Harmon is obv too big for his boots so he got fired. Series 4 continued the slide and should have been the end of the show. I have low hopes for Series 5 there's better stuff out there.
I think if you actually listen to the Harmontown episode, and hear the comments in context, they're not quite as offensive. Yes, joking about rape is really not ok. It just adds fuel to the fire of rape culture, so his choice of wording there was very unfortunate. But when you listen to him express himself you can hear the hurt he felt from this whole situation, and you understand what he meant by those comments.
Season 4 was really weird specially because it wasnt properly "bad" just akward and stiff, more close to a common sitcom than the original concept of the show. Harmon was taked away from his "baby" in a very rude manner because Chevy Chase´s ways just for nothing because Chevy hated the show and it was just a silly power trip of him as the "resident superstar", so Harmon have all right to rant about it. So...good riddance

The network came back to Dan to make Community recover his real "mojo" because at the end the show have an steady and loyal fan base unlike all those shows they axed merciless few weeks ago. So is kind of ironic the way those networks make desitions...at this point they need him more than Harmon himself needs them.

Is a class act the fact he accepted working on it again, he made it for the fans and that´s really cool. So just let the man rant all he wants...is the way he is ...since always anyways. That´s why we liked him at first place : because he´s irreverent and caustic. Im quite sure the production team know his sense of humour and the way he feels so...no big deal
And now for the English version, for those who can not understand Engrish...
I actually welcome the honesty of someone like Harmon - community's season 4 was not great, to put it mildly and I get it as a creator, he felt aggravated but hey, be a grown up about it and do not make insensitive and completely inappropriate jokes about rapes and what not. It's not fucking funny
People saying Dan should haven't apologized because its his show and whatever. I get what you're saying but he basically shitted everyone who's involve in this show (to the cast, to the writers etc.) The writers who's responsible for tons of great episodes and the cast who represented this little show and while I think season 4 was a mess, the rape joke was out of line. BEING SMART IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR TALKING SHIT TO ANYONE EVER.
I think he's entitled to his opinion and at times I felt the same way. Season 4 did suck, except for the hot air ballon episode where they all trip out as puppets. That one was awesome!
Wow I completely missed this. Vaguely skimmed over the comments in this thread. To avoid being verbose/redundant, in sum:

1. LOL Classic Harmon. People surprised by his remarks should...really not be surprised.
2. Season 4 was just as terrible as Harmon said it was. (Jim Rash is welcome to bring his Oscar to the writers' room and contribute some quality stuff though)
3. He's kind of a douche, but he's right.
4. GENDER IS FLUID. FIGHT THE PATRIARCHY.
5. Is it time for Season 5 yet?

People who have written better stuff than he get cancelled all the time without resorting to this kind of behavior. A joke is a joke and I've heard some pretty raunchy ones and laughed my ass off, and this didn't offend me. It's the jerk part that offends as in the case of Charlie Sheen, and that IMO was the point...
He's Dan Harmon - you take him warts and all. His lack of - certain social skills - is also what makes him a brilliant writer. He has a raw emotional honesty in his Harmontown podcasts - which is refreshing to hear IMO.
The rape part, no. The gangbang part...ehh. Hopefully, when he makes Season 5 the bestest season of Community--LOLjk. He should've stayed away from this failboat while his head was still above water.
Ok the words he used were pretty harsh and he did not need to be that graphic. Especially since friends of his were a part of that season even if he wasn't. But we all get what he means; it was his creation & characters and things were done with them he would never have done, stories twisted and mangled. And he had to watch it happen and hear long-time fans critisize it and hate on it when he knows it shouldn't have even gone like that. So it was in his right to voice how he felt about the season, but he definitely should have thought about it a little more (or less if what he was trying for was a laugh) and be more professional next time- I guess the apology was that.
What he said was true, Season 4 sucked.
For all the Dan Harmon apologists: yes, he was totally within his right to say what he said about Season 4. So, why did he feel the need to backtrack from it later? He has his job back -- it's highly unlikely his comments would've gotten him fired again. I'll be watching Season 5, but the guy has issues (like a lot of creative types do). And he needs to shave.
Britta: STOP JUDGING HIM!!!

:P
I think he has the right to say whatever he wants, you now negative or positive, Freedom of Speech and all...

Community was horrible last season. I know there are a lot of people out there who still loved it, but I think they aren't really objective. I'm a big fan of Community, but when it sucks it sucks. Good thing he spoke his mind..
I've never really watched Community (except one time on a plane), but I will say that if Harmon is the creator, it's his show and he has a right to express his opinion about how other people are operating his characters. HowEVER, the WAY he said it was completely offensive. I do not take "rape"ing of things lightly, and I feel that as a whole we are using it way too liberally. That particular comment did need a proper apology.
Altough it's not very smart to say it the way he did I agree with his main point.

Season 4 was simply terrible if you compare it to seasons 1-3 (also because seasons 1-3 were brilliant, so the bar was set very high). And I think Dan Harmon had lots of ideas of how Jeff would meet his dad, and get his diploma. Now he can't put those ideas to work.

Unless season 5 starts out with season 4 being just a very bad nightmare of Abed or something...
He was spot on! I couldnt of said it in any other way better........
I don't think he needs to apologize, he's in the singular position of having strong feelings AND being the foundation of the material, so if anyone deserves to call it the way they see it, it's Dan Harmon. That said, it wasn't constructive, and it was offensive, so it was almost tailor-made for a public apology. He's a smart guy doing a smart thing in a dumb way, he should have had his cake and gotten to eat it too by saying how he felt in a way that would stick the landing and be constructive. Instead the conversation is back to being about Dan Harmon instead of the quality of the series.
What this guy said.
I was going to say something similar but instead will just hop on to the end of this.
Bravo, well said
I have never ever ever commented on any article on tv.com ever, and I've been visiting this site for more than 5 years. But I have to say this, and I'm not going to censor myself. I feel like anybody that has any problem with what Harmon said is a complete idiot, especially if you're a writer on this website, I mean seriously, I can't emphasize those words any more, COMPLETE IDIOT. How many TV shows have you seen on HBO/Shotime/etc... even basic cable that have rape jokes ALL THE TIME, and joke and say things MUCH MUCH worse. And cover topics that are much more serious in a non comedic manner even. It's one thing if Dan Harmon said this at a political speech or something, but he's a COMEDY writer, and he was doing a COMEDY podcast. People need to learn to respond to things accordingly and consistently and not pick and choose based on your bias feelings. He has a right to say whatever he wants in an appropriate setting, and a comedy podcast is definitely an appropriate setting. Do you guys not listen to Marc Maron? or Pollak? They joke about shit much more serious than this all the time (while actually interviewing people) and nobody says anything. Even Comedy Bang Bang, damn I truly feel sorry for you guys cause I don't understand how you people can be so stupid, makes it worse cause you claim you're in to comedy.
I think most people aren't mad that a rape joke was made, but rather they're incensed because he used rape as a comparison to something much less serious... which makes it seem like he's making light of rape.

I think people are overreacting a bit, but that's just my opinion. Like you and sniperelite have said, there are much worse offenders.
aren't comparisons used in jokes?
Sunny & The League are two shows on basic cable that joke about rape all the time, even go WAY further. I was just listening to How Did This Get Made, they talk about jacking off to super mario bros lol. Anyway I'm done with this, just wanted to make my point.
Staff
Hey sniper! It's me, the complete idiot. I think you misread what I wrote. Harmon said he didn't "want to be a jerk about it" and then went on to kind of be a jerk about it. It's not the rape-content of what he said, it's that he said some pretty rough things at all after putting out a feeling that he wouldn't trash Season 4. The family-raping and girlfriend-blowing remarks were just the most obvious examples of Harmon saying some harsh things about Season 4. It made sense to put them side-by-side with his previous statement of not wanting to be a jerk about it and honoring some of his writers who were still on the show.

Again, it's not the rapiness of his statements, it's just that he said negative things. I wasn't talking about the political correctness of his statements. I don't want to start the rape-joke debate here, if you're interested in further discussing the topic there's a fine Web site called Jezebel that seems really into talking about it these days.

For the record, I thought Season 4 was terrible and Harmon had every right to say what he said since it's his baby. But that doesn't mean I want to have a beer with the guy. Also, I fucking love Comedy Bang Bang.
More +
Well, I don't think he originally intended on trashing Season 4, but let's be real. It completely sucked worsed than I was hoping it would. At a certain point, even if you said you wouldn't trash it, you have to avoid that and just speak the truth. I think that's all that happened. The season turned out worst than could be normally expected and his reaction had to forego his earlier comment about not trashing it.

Unrelated, but equivalent example: A friend asks you for a favor, you say 'sure'. He then asks you to put a fully loaded gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. Even though you said you would do that person a favor, who would actually go through with it?
Have that beer with Cory, Tim. And explain to him how the 4th season sucked. I know reviews are subjective and blah, blah, blah, but sometimes reading his on Community felt similar to bashing my head against a wall.

I presume you'll be back for the 5th season with the vainglorious return of Harmon. I might just go crazytownbanannapants if you're not.
I'm going with who fucking cares...
Well I do apologize for being harsh, I can be like that sometimes especially if I'm in the moment. I guess it was a combination of me misunderstanding you and just my frustration with the topic in general. Although you didn't directly say this, I felt like you wrote the article with an inclination more towards Harmon being wrong than anything else, which leads to people who didn't listen to the podcast making rash reactions. But more so than that, I just don't get why this is a story, my whole thing when I said especially a writer for this website, is I'm assuming you watch a whole lot of TV, so you know jokes like this are common and aren't serious at all when it's done in a comedic manner, but yet for some reason you guys chose to focus on this, and so did half of the world, the whole thing was just frustrating for me to read, especially the comments. I couldn't believe people can actually think that Harmon didn't have a right to say what he did and it blew my mind how people were making such a big deal over the rape and instagram comparisons, and people were going harsh with it like, oh I wish he would have got fired, NBC needs to teach him a lesson, this dude is a prick, stuff like that, that's why I responded the way I did. And most of all, season 4 was terrible enough that it deserved jerky comments, I even knew as soon as he said, "i don't want to be a jerk", he was going to be one anyway, he also said, he'll find out a way to incorporate the season 4 story into season 5, I bet he just pretends it never happened and continues from where season 3 left off.

And yeah, Comedy Bang Bang is great, can't wait for the tv version to come back. Also I'll check out Jezebel, never heard of it.
More +
don't apologize!
I don't think Harmon should of apologized either.... I didn't take the comparison/analogy seriously and I am over this PC crap that is bleeding into some comedies;-(
I still like your comments (despite apologizing)
;-)
Haha this guy.. Will the 5th season contain only 13 episodes like the 4th?
His comment shouldn't be neither forgiven or forgotten.I don't care about this scumbag's feelings about getting fired or about the cast and crew's feelings even. Did he really compare watching a tv show to watching a person getting raped??Oh,how traumatising this must have been for you a$$hole!!You could have turned your TV off!!And not only that,but he expected people to find his comment funny???I feel so lucky that idiots like Harmon exist to remind us what a hilarious subject getting raped or watching someone getting raped is!!''This is what Harmon does'' is not an excuse and in my opinion,the people he should be apologising to first are rape victims!!
Oh calm down - you're the one who called HIM an a$$hole (your spelling, not mine). Go cry me a river with the other "oh my goodness me he said rape i'm so offended by golly" crowd. I'll go out on a limb here and say - you're not really a fan of Community now are ya?
I've never watched Community,but I don't see how this has to do with anything.I mean,if I watched it and enjoyed it,I would like Harmon's work,I wouldn't like him as a person.
This comment has been removed.
It's comments like "the people he should be apologizing to first are rape victims" that make me

1. LOL in frustration
2. Wonder if people can actually be so dumb that so much of their sense of humor is missing, I bet if you show them Curb Your Enthusiasm or Extras or Life's Too Short, they'd think it's real and get all offended.
No, he compared seeing something he created and cared about ripped away from him and perverted by others, he compared that to seeing a loved one being raped, which is different. He had a personal, emotional reaction to witnessing something he created and nurtured, and those feelings were strong enough to warrant say they felt to him a certain way. I didn't see it as trying to get a cheap laugh at rape's expense. I know several people who have been raped, but these sorts of comments don't faze them and reactionary responses to those don't help them.
From what I've read online,he was fired because he was ...not very nice to his co-workers.I don't view his comments as his way of being honest-I see a grown man being bitter and childish for a situation he caused.Harmon is not the first person whose work was taken away from him.This happens to authors,too. One of my favorite authors was fired but managed it with decency and I respect her even more for it.
It sounds like you've pre-judged Dan Harmon based on scuttlebutt and misunderstandings, which has skewed your viewpoint. Harmon was fired from Community because he didn't work with studio executives, he didn't take their notes and managed his show from an inside perspective that kept corporate folks out, the show wasn't likely to grow so they felt they could save money and control the series with cheaper showrunners that might take it in bigger directions. But what brought Harmon back to the show was the same thing that drove him out, that the way he ran things was what gave the show its specialness and without him it floundered rather than grew.

Harmon kept quiet about season 4 until he was asked by his bosses at the studio to view it, he was taking the high road by not viewing it at all and not saying anything about it until they paid him to go the other way. They paid him to express his opinions on the show, a brave choice for a corporate studio to make, and they get what they get in return - including some added attention for their show, since "any press is good press".
I heard his joke/comment went over great in India...
now THAT'S a rape joke! and quite a good one... don't expect "katherine_fan" to like it though.. the joke that is.
I don't mind his reaction. It was perhaps a bit too strong of hyperbole, but it was his emotions.

He obviously put a lot of himself into this work. He created this and apparently REALLY hated the direction they took the show. So it was more emotional of a thing than just something he was hired to work on.

Imagine if you and your now-dead father worked on restoring a classic car your entire adult life until he died. It was beautiful and now near-mint. Then you lose it in a bitter divorce, and you find out that your wife has ruined it. Dings, scratches, coffee stains, and to top it off a drunk-driving accident.

Well, you'd be pissed. Not because it was just your car but because it was something emotional that was important to you that someone treated like crud.

Now if it was just a car you bought and maybe fixed up a little, you'd be annoyed and perhaps angry. But it wouldn't be at the same emotional level.
If you actually care, and/or you haven't already made your mind up to hate Harmon, I'd recommend listening to the podcast. Harmontown is as much about honesty as much as anything else; he was uncharismatic, and he could have phrased his reaction a little better, but he was obviously already emotional and feeling even more emotional trying to express to the audience (who wanted to hear his reaction to S4) how it felt to watch those episodes.
As for being difficult to work with, pretty sure it's common knowledge now that Joel McHale is essentially the reason he's been brought back - which tells me he can't be that impossible.
So yeah, listen to the podcast if you're interested...otherwise maybe refrain from judging someone based on out of context quotes that you haven't heard first-hand?
I have not, and will not see season 4. I dont see the point, as Harmon was not a part of it.
Being brilliant (or right) does not excuse you from being a human being. I really enjoy his work, that is a fact, but that was really douchebag-y and it kinda makes me look at the whole Chevy Chase thing differently.
Funny, I see it the other way. He was being QUITE human in his anger / annoyance. Someone kicked him off something he poured his emotions into and made it into something he hated. His reactions were human.

Now, if you want to say "civilized" or "respectful" then fine. But often times those just mask humanity. If some guy calls you a fat f*** and belittles you, you might try to take the high road and ignore them but OR you might say something about his wife/mother to tick him off.

It's human nature to feel anger and annoyance and even hatred. We try to be polite and cover it up for the sake of civility and peace but it's there. So expressing it doesn't make it inhuman.

Was he screaming to have people fired or hurt in some other way? No? Then let him rant as much as he wants.
By being human I didn't mean not feeling anything and not having emotions. I meant consider other people's feelings, appreciate their work, their effort and consider things from their perspective. Letting all emotions out and telling everyone every single thing you feel is not considered a humane behavior.

There were dozens of actors, writers and crew members who still worked extremely hard to make the best possible show. People who he worked with previously and helped HIM make HIS show a great one. The writers that changed Harmon expressed very clearly that they wanted to respect his legacy and that they will try their best to keep the soul of the show. And god knows they've tried. We can clearly see them trying to keep that spirit intact the whole season. Yes, it may not have worked. But those writers didn't for one second act like assholes. Harmon, on the other hand, said he would be civilized and then.. compared their work to gang rape or something.

I don't thing there's even a doubt here who's in the wrong.
This comment has been removed.
This comment has been removed.
I didn't like Dan Harmon before, he seemed over his head. But those comments are truly awful. It's not the new writers' fault if he was fired. They tried their best (and did good enough) with what they were given. Everybody can't be an obnoxious and misunderstood genius.
I think season 4 was going to be difficult for a number of reasons anyway then add in Chase wanting to be anywhere else but there. But maybe this will get them the attention that they clearly deserve and more conventional viewers.
Season four while entertaining definitely didn't seem like it had as much direction as the previous three. It must be hard to feel out of control when you've worked so hard on a concept then have to sit back quietly and take it. I, for one, am looking forward to Season 5, just wish it was a longer season!
Those comments were unprofessional and he's lost street cred to me. Great that he's hurting a show that we're hoping will survive. Lets get him a room with bunks with Chevy Chase.
I completely agree with Dan Harmon's assessment of season 4 and I too was mad that his show was taken away and turned into some weird bastardization of what I once considered the wittiest show on television.
It wasn't taken away, he gave it away by being a collossal asshole to everyone he could be an asshole to.
If that were true, nobody in Hollywood would have a show.
Really? The only news I ever heard of was his feud with Chevy (which, if I'm not mistaken, had them both acting like children).

Was there more? Who'd he piss off before he was fired?
I'm getting pretty tired of Community / Dan Harmon news. There's so much bad blood and team-turmoil there; it's going to be hard to get everybody to focus on Season 5 instead of focussing on annoyances within the team.

Season 1 - 3 of Community where good, but after all the uglyness, i'm wondering if it'll be worth it for Season 5...
I agree about the season 5 sentiment. After everything that's happened it's probably best to just let it die.

Yeah, i'd rather keep the first three season than watch another cheap season filled with felt.
Well now he cant complain if the season 4 show runners trash season 5.
His comments do sound very petulant. My response would be the first 2 options combined.
He can complain, they didn't create the show.
And they worked on the show (really poorly), so they can complain about season 5 if asked
Sure , but no one will cares then . They proved they werent a good fit with the show
To put it simply Dan Harmon is an ass, and he probably realized he took his comments I bit to far when speaking on season 4, and he regrets a lot of what he said, notably the rape joke, which was very wrong, but to be honest I didn't disagree with everything he said about season 4, did he take it too far, absolutely, with that said, was season 4 of Community a disgrace to the first three, and should Harmon be allowed to be angry that they turned his fantastic comedy into a shell of its former self. Yes, he should be allowed to call out Sony for the monumental mistake they made in firing Harmon instead of Chevy, who ended up quitting this year anyway. All in all he needed to apologize because rape jokes are never OK. Honestly I want to vote both options 1+2 in the poll, he apologized lets move on to season 5, but also this is who Harmon is, he is a pompous ass, but he is a brilliant pompous ass, and I don't want him to change(but this in no way means I'm defending his rape joke, which was very wrong).
I disagree with you about rape jokes. They can be okay sometimes. Even hilarious. It just depends on the joke, and/or context.

I recently went and saw Daniel Tosh, and he had a whole segment on why any topic can be made fun of. It was hilarious as well as thought-provoking.

Also, for anyone here that thinks rape jokes aren't okay, ask yourselves if you've ever made a race joke, murder joke, dead-baby joke, or anything that could be considered offensive when heard out of context (or by the wrong people; e.g. people who have experienced those things first-hand).
Perhaps, but comparing his situation to rape was wrong.
Was it though? I mean, to play devil's advocate, I'll argue a couple of points-

1. Harmon lost complete control of his project, something he was most likely emotionally invested in, and had to sit by and watch as strangers did whatever they wanted to it. In his opinion, they violated his vision. He was helpless, and could do nothing, because people more powerful than him held his creation's rights.

^Minus the sexual nature of rape, how does that not sound similar?

2. How can someone's feelings be "wrong"? What if Harmon honestly feels what was done to his show was just as disgusting and horrible as rape? "Right" and "wrong" are abstract ideas. Sure, there are no-brainers when it comes to actions, because those things are easily labeled and defined (like how rape and murder are inherently evil); however, thoughts and feelings are a bit more complex. Most people have no control over their emotional responses.

So, if Harmon actually feels that way, then why should we attack him for voicing his feelings and opinion? Because we don't agree with it, or understand where he's coming from? Isn't that us just forcing our own beliefs and ideology on him? How's that right?
More +
No, I don't think his feelings are wrong, I actually agree season 4 was a disgrace to the first three, but the way he expressed his feelings by comparing it to rape was unfortunate.
They fired Harmon instead of Chase because Harmon is a complete piece of shit who led a "fuck you Chevy" chant at a wrap party in front of Chevy's family.

Fuck him, I wish they had canceled the show and told him to fuck off instead.
Calm down, Chevy. =)

Seriously though, I remember reading somewhere that Chevy was being extremely difficult to work with. That doesn't excuse Harmon's behavior (especially the stunt he pulled in front of Chase's family), but it wasn't like Chevy was completely innocent in the whole thing either.
You're absolutely right, Chevy isn't blameless, but when you have two people who are difficult to work with and one of them does what Dan Harmon did in front of Chevy's family, it's not a difficult choice of who to fire.

Of course, the best thing probably would've just been to put the show out of its misery so we wouldn't have been subjected to the failure that was Season 4, and Harmon wouldn't get his baby back, which is probably going to do nothing but negative things to his ego.
A more subtle expression of his opinion of season four would have been if he made it seem in season five like season four never happened, a bad dream or something like that.
that`s the only way i can even think about thinking about starting to think about watching Season 5! :)
He created it. As a writer, I think that's what it WOULD feel like, so... points for honesty if not for manners.
non-issue. stupid waste of space of an article if it weren't for the clarification as to what exactly was said. I much prefer the direct quotes to mentioning vaguely what was referenced. not only does the dude have every right to say whatever the F he wants, but I applaud him for doing so. what he said fairly well reflected the absolute anger I felt throughout my season 4 viewing. everyone else just has the right to suck it up or respond in kind.

he quite gracefully handled being let go when it happened refusing to talk shit, so saying "he's doing it again" is bullshit. the only other time was with chase so big woop, he's done it twice now OH EM GEE!

seriously stupid post, tim. not that I would ever expect more from you. you did after all defend early season 4 only to retract it later. dumbass! for the record I will not be issuing an apology for this post.
Choice #2 says it all. He's a jerk, but his work on Community was mostly brilliant. We'll see if he can do it again. I feel sorry for the cast and crew having to put up with all this.
Typically, when somebody prefaces a statement with "I don't want to be a jerk..." it really means they want to be a huge, obnoxious asshole. Thanks for being yourself, Dan.
Staff
The amount of votes saying he has the right to say whatever makes me kind of sad guys.
He's a douchebag. A genius douchebag but a douchebag nonetheless.
Sorry about what happened to you in prison
I recommend you avoid The League, Archer, The Jeselnik Offensive and a ton of other comedies.
It's not like he is advocating rape.
He's not advocating rape or even joking about it, he expressed his feelings upon seeing something he created and nurtured turned into a cheap imitation of itself. How does he not have a right to express how he felt on the matter? And if this is how he felt, why is it wrong?
Exactly. If that's how he honestly feels, then who are we to judge his emotional response?

Was it a horrible comparison to make? I don't know. I haven't been raped, and I don't know anyone, personally, who has been raped. I also haven't made my own television show, developed characters, and had them taken away from me... only to then have to watch the show/characters go in a completely different direction from my original vision.

So are they comparable? I'd have to have both things happen to me before I could honestly say.
It doesn't matter if it's comparable since it was a joke. You can find it funny or get disgusted by it but noone is forced to listen to it and especially act like he was actually serious and take his words literally.
I know an unfortunately high number of people who have been sexually assaulted, they each have fairly high tolerance to comments like the ones made, they're not reactionary about it.

If I thought for a moment Harmon's comments were made to hurt someone, I wouldn't defend them, but that's just not how I see the situation - Harmon isn't trying to further harm rape victims nor is he trying to negate or lighten their suffering with what he said.
Maybe there is a problem in the sentence "It was his show and it was taken away from him. He has a right to say what he thinks of Season 4" though. I think some read it as a matter of free speech (content not considered) while others voting for that answer express understanding of the content of what Harmon actually said and support the fact that he said those things. Are you thinking of the latter and is that why it makes you "sad"?

Personally, I think he can do whatever he wants to. I find it refreshing to have someone like Harmon that speaks his mid. Not worth talking about the consequences much though, he is the one that has to deal with it.
The vote says "Does he have the right". Of course he does. He has every right to be a dick. Was it cool? No, not really. Just dissing it is pretty unprofessional, but we all knew he was a dick. That's no surprise. Comparing any to rape isn't right, but that wasn't what the vote answer said.
Funny, your comment makes me kinda sad. Frowny face! ... Wait ... :(

There we go.
I do think he could have cleaned up the language, but in the end, Freedom of Speech is enough. He can say and compare anything in any way he wants to. Trying to say he can't say anything is like saying he doesn't have the right to Freedom of Speech.

If people can do (in my opinion) stupid tabloids on celebrities and all that crap, then he has the right to say what he wants about the season and use whatever words he wants to.
you are correct about his right!
Team JMC;-)
Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with his statement or this discussion, or does it mean what you think it means. Good day, sir.
I think you are the one mistaken on it's relevance. O'well, not gonna look at any more of your messages since you have already proven you don't know what you are saying.
@doc By somebody saying he doesn't have the right to say it IS trying to say he doesn't have the Freedom of Speech. He said those comments about the Season. He doesn't have to keep his opinion to himself. The very fact that you think he should have is suppressing his right to speak freely. You are not trying to go about it by suing him or anything, but you are wanting him to censor and not say things. That is still a way of trying to suppress his freedom of speech.
No, Ryan's right. "Freedom of Speech" is the ability to say what you want without fear of repression by the government. It doesnot mean, and never has meant, the ability to say whatever you want without consequences. You DO hae the right to say mean things about people wihtout fear of being arrested and thrown in jail. You DO NOT have the right to say mean things about people and not lose respect in the eyes of people who see it. The act that Mr. Harmon's complaints are entirely understandable doesn't mean he shouldn't have kept is opinion to himself.
I'm with you, JMC.
Staff
NOPE
He was right about Season 4 but he didn't have to be a dick about it. Also, comparing anything to rape was a no-go.
Season 4 was a crap fest. And I can totally understand Harmon for hating on it; the show was his baby and he was watching someone else mutilate it. Should he have compared the season to rape? No. But neither should he be given flack for pointing out the obvious.
Staff
I'm not sure "the obvious" is equating it to a gang-bang and rape.
The actual words used are irrelevant. The point he was making is that it was abhorrent (as the words used are considered). Which is exactly what the fourth season was. That's why it was 'obvious'.
Season 4 was terrible. Lets not sugar coat it and try to turn this around so we're talking about Harmon. It made me want to stop watching my favorite show. While I wouldn't have put it like Harmon did, he should have to apologize for pointing out that NBC/Sony screwed their viewers by putting that on the air.
I would actually say that he should apologize for his apology (yes, i saw the episode of Veep called Helsinki, but i mean it). I actually get it from his point of view, we all know to put it nicely season 4, was like watching another show than the show we love. If i was Harmon i would have said the exact same thing, it was his heartchild that got such a slap in the face that you still hear it echoing.
I totally agree--> he should apologize for his apology!
If only he was Seth MacFarlane, then he could make rape jokes all the time and the only response would be people throwing more money at him.
Rape was used in at least two Community jokes I recall, people seem to be having problems with it being used in a real life analogy rather than within the show fiction.
Saying nothing would probably have been best, but I think as a fan, I'd have taken more offense if he said he liked season 4 and thought it was great. Soooo... dissing it is second best, I guess...? Whatever. I agree and I had no part in making it, so I don't give a crap. If I were a writer involved in season 4 of Community, then I'd probably be bitter... but agree with him.
If he wanted to make season 4 his way he shouldn't have been a total d*ckhead.
Staff
He will always be a total dickhead.
Holy crap! I go away for a couple of weeks and return to realise i've found common ground with theCory. I shouldn't be surprised. I actually agreed with most of the things you said about Doctor Who. Well. Some of them. Well. One of them. Well. That aside. Dan Harmon = Dickhead. Undisputable.
I... do not care.