Dancing's finale gets mixed results

**Warning: Spoilers Inside**

The formula for ABC's Dancing With the Stars is simple: Pair a professional dancer with a celebrity, and have them compete in various dancing styles against other teams. The winner is the team that out-cha-chas the competition, right?

That was, of course, a rhetorical question.

"It's not only about dancing, you know? It's about popularity," said winner Helio Castroneves, who is a professional racecar driver for a living. "That's what I'm actually happy about."

Though early favorite Melanie Brown, a Spice Girl by trade, and her partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy were ahead in the final scoring, the votes of the viewers eventually pushed Castroneves and Julianne Hough to the title. This is Hough's second consecutive title. "She has an incredible fan base," Castroneves said of Hough.

Brown joked that "We were robbed" on Good Morning America, but her partner apparently has had enough.

"If this is the limit of where I can get in a show, then let it be," Chmerkovskiy told Extra. "I'm satisfied and moving on." The Russian dancer has appeared in every Dancing With the Stars run since the second season.

As for critics, most seem to be on board that Brown and Chmerkovskiy were the best dancers, regardless of the results. But as The Washington Post's Teresa Wiltz put it (and put it best), "Eh, it's a popularity contest, what are you going to do?"

Last night's two-hour finale was watched by approximately 24.9 million viewers, according to Variety.

I like reality Television. Maris didn't win. It is a pity. Is Maris single now? I saw her profile on millionaire dating site WealthyRomance.com last week. "She is very picky about guys", according to the officials of that site,"we are going to offer her a life-time free gold membership till she find her true love on our site!"
Though Brown and Chmerkovskiy were the better of the two couples they really have nothing to complain about. THE best dancer (Sabrina Bryan) of any season never even made it to the finals. They should be counting their blessings they made it that far.
As a dancer, Helio is a great race car driver.

Ugh. Please do not subject us to this show any longer. It's a shame they can't be affected by the writer's strike.
I didn't even watch this show, but because of the constant coverage of it, I feel like I watched every episode.
I like reality television,especially those concerned about blacks. I have save plenty of pics on bigblackconnect.com which is a community for black singles.
What do you expect from a reality show....
I honestly think that th judges favor the hot sexy image and give poorer marks to older performers. If you honestly ask them if they thought Marie Osmond would make the finals they would say no. If she had danced a perfect set of dances she would still not have gotton 3-10's.
The winner was...Helio and Julianne!! I watched their video recording dancing on interracialfriends.com. Early on in the results show, Marie was eliminated. Then, we had to sit through each of the former contestants and their partner doing a dance together. Finally, it was announced that Helio and Julianna had won! Max and Mel B. were ticked!! I think they thought they would win.
I was so disapointed when Maks lost he absolutly deserved to and you know if he doesnt return next year i say good for him he has better things to do with his skills. He really deserved to win he and Mel were the best by far.
I find it interesting that the last four winners have been men celebrities with female professional dancers. My wife has made the comment that Julianne is what help to sell the performance.
its funny because after the first season when kelly monaco won..they had did a rematch cuz people were upset that john hurley didnt win...so why cant they do that again?? oh i know..doesnt make for good tv...lmao
That this show even rates as news, says something about American culture, and it ain't pretty.
Australia's version of this was a little disappointing this season too :(
Why do people always say Mel B, and Sabrina should not have been on the show because they have experience, since they were in a singing group. What about Marie,did you not see her and Donny doing their dance routines when the had their show ? I don't see how you missed them, because Donny showed them almost every time he was on that show where he was a special corrospondent . Also almost every star when starting out in the business take dance lessons along with acting lesson,so they can be prepared for any opportunity.
dude, i understand that point, but have to disagree. In dancing, weather the spice-girls, teeny-bopper style, or actual ballroom dance. You start out with basics. no matter what style of dance you choose to pursue, the basics will remain the same. Someone like mel b, (or joey from last year), who has preformed dancing for money, would have an advantage over everyone else. Not because they have done "ballroom" dancing, but because they have danced professionally with the help of an instructor for money. they have been taught the basics of dance. and no matter what style of dance, the basics remain consistant. same as in sports. what are the major differences to training a little-leage, high-school, colledge, or professional football team?? what is different about the training methods apart from the rules that can be applied?? think about it, what did the spice girls (or nsynch for that matter), do on live tours and videos? stand still and sing for 90 mins, or did they dance and try to impress the audience? this bacgroud teaches you not only the basics, but how to use those skills to get your target audience involved. it's like having a bicycle race. you have 2 kids who have never ridden a bike in their life, against two kids who have not ridden a bike in say 2 years - who would you *think* would come in first? i think the show would be better if they acually were a little firmer with their rules of entry for contestants. you want to put in someone with dance experiece (weather video, tv, broadway, etc), fine , but put them up against others with similar experiece and skills, likewise with sports personalities - that way the basic skillset of everyone is the same.

helio and apollo had no basic dance skills in the past. they committed, worked hard, showed improvement over the 10 weeks, and compelled people to vote based on their personality. and rest assured, if the dancing isn't up to par, it doesn't matter how cute or handsome your partner is, you still won't get the votes. but in the end, the judges pick the winner, and i can't see the differences in the backgrounds not playing a part in it. (even if one of the judges annoced the winner the week before the finals both this season and last).
That really is messed up if they didn't win on just dance skills alone but what can they do to make sure that the winner wins on dance skills only??? I don't know and I guess they have alot of questions to answer for next season.
Candace4c -- Ah, the exact reason why I revisit news stories I comment -- because I often get replies. I do understand that Mel B and Sabrina have dance experience but that only helps in being able to be choreographied better. All three used they're professions in their dances, Marie did a country routine and a doll routine, Mel B danced to a Spice Girls track and Helio did a racing-themed dance. That is why I feel it only gives SB and MB a slight advantage. That's my order and i'm sticking to it, I really liked Cameron, I thought he was very talented. Overall, I feel this season didn't output any terrific dancers like the past: Stacy Keibler, Drew Lachey, Apolo Anton Ohno, Joey Fatone, Mario Lopez. Those are my favorites. Personally, I didn't add any from this season. While the most entertaining season, the dancing quality just wasn't their and the final judges scores reflected that.
Who else thinks that Helio and Julianne from Dancing with the Stars would make a cute couple?

I think they'd look cute together if Helio wasn't engaged. view their video on interracialfriends.com
NO, don't leave! Maks is two-thirds of the reason why I watch this show :( (for his swingin' hips and those brooding good looks! hahaha, Tom Bergeron is the other third, cuz who doesn't love Tom?) I agree with him though, man, they got robbed! But they're right, it is a popularity contest, what are you gonna do?

It just really sucks, I had money on Mel and Maks for the win hahaha. Ah well, Julianne has a huge fanbase that definintely propelled them to the win. I mean she and Derek were on 20/20, no?
Hey Dude6363

I am a Dancer and an instrutor, my kids win competitions all over the world. I do not get when you say Mel should have been 1st, Sabrina 2nd. Cameron 3rd (I just about fell over when I read that one. Helie wone regardless. I think maks did Mel a huge injustice by knocking down that other competitors...people don't like that. I like Sabrina also, but in my honest opinion I don't think either one of them should have been allowed on the show. They have both worked with choreographers for their shows, so dancing wasn't new to them. Not amatuers. As for Cameron? He is great looking, and came far, but he danced like a stick man. I think that he should have gone before he did. Marie, improved the most IMO. The woman lost 30 lbs, she was working so hard sO I think that she earned the 3rd spot. I actually think that she might have even won it had it not been for her "doll routine". It is a popularity contest to a degree for sure, but if it were all popularity, then Marie would have won hands down. She has a huge fan base, and half of the people didn't even know Helio. I did, because my husband and I are race fans. My husband hate Mel B. He thought that she was very crass and hard. She can dance, but she already had dance experience, but I think if Maks had of kept his mouth shut, the outcome may have been different. But Cameron in third? I hated to even watch him. I wanted to jump through the screen and bend his legs and hips. etc. Not the call that I would have made, but we all have our on opinion.
well i watched the show and yes I think it is a popularity contest if it was the best dancers maria would not have made it so far and sabrina would have been one of the final two but if It to be i was glad with who won at those two
When people bote for a show, they are voteing for their favorite, wheather is it because they where the best or just because you like the PERSON. That is why when people vote for something, they all ways don't just choose the best but who they like.
Why is this show so popular in the first place? Dont have a clue. I guess it says alot about the average American TV viewer. The same goes for American Idol. Even the winners of Idol rarely go on to become true stars. Kelly Clarkson of Season 1 was the closest, but these days she has lost most of her popularity - probably because she isnt in rehab, using drugs or driving drunk.
Didn't people say the same thing last year? I don't really watch reality television so I don't care. Stop watching it and make it go away if you don't like it.
Of course it is all about popularity; look at the different versions of this show in different countries, it's not about the skills, it's about how the stars sympathize (is that the proper word in English?) with the viewers.
This show sucks and is a waste of time...I'm glad people on the show are getting fed up. You want dancing get up and go dancing, why waste away on a couch and watch this nonsense.
It is a popularity thing. They even say vote for your favorite dancer. They don't say vote for the best dancer.
This show is garbage. Shows of this ilk are contributing to the dumbing down of America. Does anybody outside a trailer park watch this garbage?
boohoo Maks you didn't win. Get over it. You may be a good dancer but Mel wasn't that great imo.. and this was not the best season.
I watched the entire season, and was ultimitly disappointed. Mel B should have won, with Helio coming in fourth. I believe second should have been Sabrina Ryan and third Cameron Matheson. I am appauled Marie got so far, I love her to death but she has two left feet.
who cares? this show sucks anyways....it should be called dancing with the c-listers....they call start calling it dancing with the stars and be legit when they actually get people that are still working in the biz and flourishing
oh well, now let's wait for the end of the Italian version of the show...