Defiance Q&A With Executive Producer Kevin Murphy

With only four episodes under its belt, a universe as vast as any sci-fi project in recent history, and an ambitious tie-in with a massively multiplayer online game, we had a ton of questions about Syfy's Defiance and we knew that many of you did, too. To get some answers, we took to Twitter for a question-and-answer session with executive producer Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica) using some of our own queries as well as a few from the TV.com community. It went off without a hitch and we didn't even break the internet!

Below is the transcript of the session, in which we talk about the Voltans, the origins of "shtako," and which actor has the hardest time in the makeup chair (complete with a bonus response from that actor!). Thank you to Mr. Murphy for taking the time to chat with us, and thank you to everyone who asked questions!

They asked my question about Antarctica. Wow, was not expecting that. Cryptic response: less surprising. =)
I liked the first episode of Defiance, was underwhelmed by the second and stopped watching...In all honesty I want spaceships. As for the acting...it's horrible...
Well this sentence confirmed and kinda ruined everything I was hoping for,but I was already thinking:
"We love that these worlds exist together, but either can exist independently (if necessary)"

Meaning,I get that they made it so,if one was doing ok and other not,either would survive on it's own,BUT they keep shoving down our throats,that this IS SOMETHING NEW,never done before,where gamers IMPACT on show and vice versa(which is only real statement of the 2),etc with this bs.
Questions were dull,same as answers...sticking with this show atm only,because of Jaime Murray,Tony Curran and also at times Grant Bowler...show has it's moments,but it does every boring,played out,cheesy,cliche thing possible.
Very good interview. While I don't think the last few episodes have been quite as solid as the first episode, I still really like what I've seen so far, and the show has plenty of potential to join my list great sci-fi shows. I'm looking forward to seeing how they flesh out this future Earth and its history in future episodes.
When I think Defiance, Alien Nation still pops in my mind; except that we have more alien species here and apparently no slaves among them. Both share the cops and alien partner angle, the criminal alien elements and the alien technology disruption angles , too. Plus some other minor comparisons. I would have felt a lot better if this show would not have this in common with the previous show which was among my favorites at the time. I still have not seen or played the online game, so maybe this is where the change and unqueness of Defiance will reveal itself. Crossed fingers.
Great interview all around! Excellent questions and very informative answers. I really like this show, but I'm sorry, "Shtako" doesn't have near the versatility or coolness of "Frak".
IMO, Chinese swears (Firefly) > Frell (Farscape) > Frak > Shtako. Honestly, I wasn't really a huge fan of the use of "Frak" in BSG, because it seemed like it was too serious of a show to have a fake swear like that. Fake swearing works better when the show itself is more of a fun show, like Farscape was, and for that reason, I think Frak worked better on the original BSG (even though they didn't use it as often). Though it's still better than Shtako, I'll give you that. As for Chinese swears on Firefly, I loved it so much because it actually helped contribute to history of its future Earth, showing how much influence the Chinese had on non-Chinese nations, while still having the same effect as fake swearing in other fun Sci-Fis.
It looks like Defiance will show some of the war and hopefully as much as possible over time. Always great to see a backstory and not blow it like FRINGE did in Season 5 with the Observers / rebels war that we just had to imagine.
Fringe was *supposed* to be six FULL seasons, but because of the incomprehensibly low viewership, we were lucky to even get a shortened fifth seasons. I don't blame the showrunners. They gave us the best closure they could.
I am sorry,but 2nd half of season 5 sucked and ruined show as whole for me. Up until Peter got tech out,it was awsome and then it just ruined show as whole for me. This was first time,me thinking that maybe sometimes shows being canceled to soon on Fox,that it isn't such a bad thing.
This comment has been removed.
It makes me strangely happy that Nerdsbian actually became a thing lol.
I love it when showrunners acknowledge their fans because it shows that they care what we think and are proud to share their thoughts with us. As part of the admiring, milling throng I appreciate being recognized and I do quite like this show. So, - tenseasonsandamovie to you sir and may the neilsen force be with you...
First, thank you for asking my question in part in view that I was indeed a douche when I formulated it,had bad day then I guess. In view of this interview I am changing my mind on the show and will certainly be watching it.I think something great can be done here. Looking forward to it.
Awesome interview! That was a great insight into Defiance, can't wait to see the stuff mentioned. Cool Twitter interview format too.
Kevin Murphy won me over : Gale Harold as a guest star ? Fantastic !