Desperate Housewives: A Killer Among Them

First things first: How nice to see Brenda Strong again on last night's episode of Desperate Housewives. I do love a good Mary Alice Young flashback, and "Epiphany" contained more screentime than usual for my favorite self-offed-housewife-turned-narrator.

And secondly, who the hell is this Eddie Orlofsky (Josh Zuckerman) kid? According to IMDb, he's been in several episodes this season, but I doubt I'm the only one who hasn't noticed him. Maybe Desperate Housewives is making some sort of blatant "neighborhood watch" statement—and frankly, I wouldn't put it past the show—but it's totally weird to me that a season-long plot point traces back to some random minor character. Shouldn't we have known more about him before "Epiphany"? And shouldn't "Epiphany" have explained how Eddie knows Danny (Beau Mirchoff)? Isn't it Danny's fault for introducing him to all these young girls?

Questions aside, I actually really enjoyed "Epiphany." It was a creative, easy flashback episode that took us back to different times in the Wisteria wives' lives, yet still managed to teach us something new each one of them. Gaby's (Eva Longoria Parker) maternal instinct, for example, actually precedes the memorable Season 3 baby-mama-drama that "first" brought it out of her. (I think it's safe to assume that Gaby's flashback took place before Season 1, even though we all know she wouldn't have been caught dead in a skirt suit ten years ago, because she was still referring to Bree as "the one who's parents named her after cheese.") Apparently Gaby befriended little Eddie Orlofsky back when she and Carlos first moved onto the Lane, and was bummed when Carlos told her to spend more time with people her own age. Who'd have thought?

As for the "cheese lady," Bree (Marcia Cross) connected with Eddie in his early teens, offering him generous advice to help him woo (her word, not mine) a girl at school. And Susan (Teri Hatcher) recognized Eddie's artistic talents between her two marriages to Mike (James Denton) and paid for him to attend a two-week art class. Finally, Lynette (Felicity Huffman), in what I think must have been the most uncharacteristic and pregnancy-hormone-driven act of her life, asked Eddie to move into her house so he could escape his alcoholic/strangled mother. Who knew Bree was such a romantic? Or that Susan knew that much about art? Or that Lynette was so... naive?

I'm guessing that Eddie's work as the Fairview Strangler is not yet done. In fact, I'm guessing he'll have something (violent) to do with Angie Bolen's (Drea de Matteo) predictable exit from the Lane.

The Season 6 finale is only three Sundays away—do you think Eddie will strike again? And what did you think of the episode?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

The very point of this episode was to shed light on this minor character. I think they succeeded, and I find it baffling that people are still complaining about who Eddie is. The strangle of Julie is put in context, and as reader "desertsmiss" points out, his almost non-existent role on the show adds to how creepy this has all turned out.
I was a bit disappointed with the strangler being one of the minor characters, even though i found this episode intensely entertaining and engrossing. I was hoping that maybe they would make Danny the strangler, because if you remember when he was in the hospital and he woke up and thought his name was something else, that could have become a pivotal moment where the audience figures out that he has dissociative personality disorder, and its his other personality is the one that tried to strangle Julie. Would have found that a lot more entertaining, though I suppose it being the spawn of a neglectful bad alcoholic mother who convinced him he was useless would inspire more realistic sociopathic tendencies.
I wish that Mary Alice could be in every episode; she is just that good. Too bad that's not possible.

This episode was lame, and will get even more so as Eddie continues to menace the neighborhood until he gets his own comeuppance. That really cannot happen too quickly. Creepy and creepier is all you can say about this story line. Can they bring in new writers?

Just asking...
Come on guys, it was kinda obvious they were going to do something important with the minor Eddie character, based solely on the fact he was being played by Josh Zuckerman! Zuckerman was last seen playing the LEAD ROLE in the comedy film "Sex Drive" (which is awesome, if you haven't seen it) so the moment I saw him playing this minor role I immediately thought 'Hmm... this is odd, a lead actor has agreed to play such a small insignificant role in a TV Series... nah, they've got something planned for him, I bet'. And sure enough... How did you guys not notice him in past episodes? I remember pretty much all his appearances. I think they first showed him beginniing of the season working in the Coffee Shop. There was even an episode CALLED "Coffee Shop" I believe. I immediately recognised him. And he's often been there, hanging out with Danny and Porter and he was established as one of their teenage friends. Desperate Housewives is kinda a guilty watch for me (I don't tell anyone) and generally its not THAT great (I guess I'm just sticking it out til the end) but in this one case I'm kinda impressed at the way they did this whole Strangler storyline. Kinda a different way to go about things... having a background character be there for a while, then suddenly become important... but I give them kudos for trying it out. And Zuckerman is a hell of a good actor, as shown in this past episode.
A boring episode!
I thought Josh Zuckerman did a brilliant job!
I loved this episode!
It was an ok episode
I disagree 100% with the article.
It is exactly BECAUSE of Eddie's underdeveloped character and minor appearances throughout the season as well as the fact that even someone who watches the show every week doesn't really notice Eddie's "creepy" existence. To me that is a statement with two seperate meanings:

Firs of all, that the way someone grows up - in his case, with an alcoholic, abusive mother - in a way dictates the way he's going to be in his own life, and because with his mother he had to be invisible so that he could survive her constant rejection and mockery, in his later life he couldn't make himself "seen" by anyone.

On the other hand, we see that the people who can do the most damage are the ones that have been severely damaged by others and that sometimes, as the final lines went, "monsters are created by other monsters".

Plus, in a way, it's kind of also their fault. I mean, they sat back throughout the years watching him been ridiculed and rejected by his own (alcohol drinking, messy) flesh and blood and did nothing. No one cared enough or had brains enough to call social services. Not even Mary Alice.

I really enjoyed the fact that they would make such a minor character the villain just as much I enjoyed the subtle message that anyone can become a monster if raised by one.
The scene where Lynette makes a decision to allow Eddie to come live with her reminded me of the scene in Roseanne where she saw how abusive David's mother was and decided in a split second he could come live with her. I think sometimes maternal instincts just kick in and that is what the writers were trying to show
This was like when they said that someone was going to die, and it turns out to be Mona. Who the hell is Mona? She was only introduced in the last episode or two.
Same thing happened on FlashForward, when they were trying to find out who the double agent was, and it turns out to be some new character we've never seen before.
Lazy writing?
I was a little bit disappointed to see that John Barrowman wasn't in it, after it was promised he was going to be in six episodes and now it seems it's only 5. But aside from that, it was quite good. I thought I was the only one who thought the identity of the strangler was a bit strange, but apparently not! I'm starting to think John Barrowman was first meant to be the strangler, then they changed it later on. Because all the things they said Barrowman was going to do, now seems like they're not going to happen. But they are with Eddie! Still, it was nice to see Mary Alice and more back stories from the Housewives.
Was not impressed..
I actually liked it.
The show is going south. Not only was the episode a filler, but who the heck is this eddie guy? and why is he the fairview strangler? Seriously even Bree could overpower him with her bony hands if he tries to strangle her...
Too many Milfs in this show!
it was lame, this episode showed us why brenda strong should only narrate the episodes instead of act in them, she was a horrible actress.