Desperate Housewives: ¡Viva Gaby!

Interesting, isn't it, that last night's episode of Desperate Housewives was titled "Forgive and Forget," when both Katherine Mayfair (Dana Delany) and Angie Bolen (Drea de Matteo) were nowhere to be found? I mentioned last week that Marc Cherry was stepping into shark-infested waters by leaving Katherine out of "If ...," and now he's taking Angie down with her? Not fair. And not cool.

So, while Cherry is off abandoning two housewives, he's also recycling conflicts from a few years ago. In Season 2, Lynette (Felicity Huffman) and Gaby (Eva Longoria Parker) bickered over Gaby's lighthearted liplock with Lynette's husband, Tom (Doug Savant). This season, they've been fighting over Lynette's decision to hide her pregnancy from her boss, Gaby's husband Carlos (Ricardo Antonio Chavira). The petty grievances were cute at first, and actually somewhat realistic, considering that the show combines everyday mundane issues with the dark secrets of suburban life. But five seasons have passed. The characters have supposedly evolved: Gaby stopped wearing tube tops and started packing school lunches, for example. Shouldn't the friendship evolve, too?

I guess not, considering that some Wisteria Lane marriages haven't evolved, either. Tom and Lynette are still vying for the "Paycheck-Earning Parent" award, and Tom may have a drinking problem. Bree (Marcia Cross) and Orson (Kyle MacLachlan) still insist on daily passive-aggressive duels, which I'm convinced will end in death for one of them. And Susan and Mike (James Denton) still suffer from horrible bouts of possession and jealousy, though, seriously, how hot was Teri Hatcher on the stripper pole? (You go, girl!) Anyway, that's why the new characters have been so refreshing, and why I'm so disappointed that a few key ones seem like they've been taken away. I suppose Angie has to resurface sooner or later, since her son Danny/Tyler (Beau Mirchoff) was still making the rounds in last night's episode. He's really growing on me, because Mirchoff's portrayal of an increasingly fickle teenage boy is spot on. I just hope that the banter between him and Ana Solis (Maiara Walsh) gets less awkward.

I also hope that the Wisteria Lane kids get more screen time for the rest of the season, because their stories have taken the most interesting twists and turns. First, Julie Meyer's (Andrea Bowen) attack. Then, Danny Bolen's overdose. And now, Juanita Solis' (Madison De La Garza) ethnicity crisis. Though I think her blunt realization could have been handled with more sensitivity, it's a fascinating issue to bring up in a cookie-cutter suburban setting. Not only did we see Desperate Housewives call itself out on its nearly all-white cast, but we also saw Gaby come to terms with her own self-loathing. Most TV parents speak about the past with deep nostalgia and pride, but Gaby's childhood memories weren't as fond. In fact, hearing her say that she thought "Mexican and poor were the same thing," or that, "I don't want my kids to ever know I lived like that" was downright heartbreaking—but brutally honest. It's obvious that Gaby's personal struggle with her heritage isn't over, even if Carlos was able to comfort her in the moment. Cherry better not give up on this topic, because he could stumble upon something even more profound.

On a less profound note, I think Cherry may have inadvertently revealed to us where Wisteria Lane is. Gaby mentioned the nearby city of Mount Pleasant, which is a real city in the states of New York, South Carolina, Michigan, Texas, and Pennsylvania. That narrows it down, right?

What did you think of the episode?

There is also a Fairview in Michigan, so it 's very likely it could be Michigan
I have to completely disagree with the author of this article. The show is spot on about portraying suburban life in terms of relationships. Anyone who's ever come from a dysfunctional family knows relationships DO NOT evolve. My parents have been married for 41 years and the passive aggressive duel is the only way they know how to function. Furthermore, whenever I go to visit, I find myself being sucked back into the role I had as a child, timid peacemaker. So unless you lived it, you can't say it's not realistic. As well, I don't have to look far off my own street to find husbands that say the politically correct thing, but deep down, really don't want their wives working and the world is full of guilt-ridden women who love their kids but still want a career, so again, I say spot on. Couples going through bouts of jealousy and possession, flip through your channels any time of day and you'll find a talk show somewhere with a couple looking for help with exactly the same issues. Although Dana Delany is a magnificent actress, her character has never grown on me in this show and I can't say that I miss her. I do however wholeheartedly agree that Drea De Matteo and Beau Mirchoff are both completely growing on me and I thoroughly enjoy their performances and I'm one hundred percent on board for more air time for the storylines of the junior Wisteria Lane residents. So although I do think that's it's unrealistic that the Wisteria Lane residents are financially able to live the lives they do, in terms of the personal interaction and emotional behaviour of the characters, once again, I say spot on.
I missed Drea de Matteo too! but Dana Delaney NO! her characters sucks my inner peace! she stresses me out! hahaha
Loved Eva Longoria on this episode!
Mount Pleasent has been mentioned since the beginning of the show...

And about forgetting things, they totally forgot about Evan, Karl's creepy kid...
I think Gabby is probably my favorite on the show. she's so funny and witty.
how about universal studios--los angeles, ca??
I thought Gaby's reflection on her childhood was thouching. For the most part, her character grows and grows every season.
add a commenti'd guess Mi or TX cuz when when julie was taliking to danny she said she was going east to visit cousins
when talking about where Wisteria Lane is, i doubt that it is in Texas, or the whole thing about being Mexican wouldnt really be that big when she went to the daughters school and they told her there werent many cultures in the school. I can probably guess that its in South Carolina or Michigan