Dexter: A Light Against Darkness

Last week's episode of Dexter contained some of the greatest writing and acting of Dexter's six-season run and concluded with one of the most audacious kills we've seen yet. So it shouldn't come as too much of a shock that this week's episode of Dexter was a bit of a letdown by comparison. While "The Angel of Death" certainly had its moments, this episode was exactly the sort of mid-season wheel-spinning that every season of Dexter has indulged in. So in other words, it was kind of a bummer, but there were still some highlights. Let's talk about them!

The best and most important plotline—that of the Doomsday Killer(s)—progressed the most, as Dexter sought and received confirmation of Travis's involvement in the Doomsday Killings. After spotting Travis at the crime scene last week and then discovering that the victims' angel wings were made using fine art bookbinding materials, Dexter investigated the local museum's staff listings. An unfriendly docent directed him to a screening room that just so happened to be showing an in-house documentary that contained footage of Travis restoring ancient books. What a time saver! So then Dexter broke into Travis's apartment and immediately discovered an antique Bible with rectangular cut-outs clearly matching the numbers planted inside the Doomsday Killer's victims' corpses. I guess because he'd saved so much time on those earlier steps, Dexter decided to waste tons of time by deciding to still take a sample page from the Bible back to the lab in order to match up the cut-outs? Oh well. If there's one thing this show loves to do, it's hammer a point home over and over long after we've already deduced what's going on. Classic Dexter, really.

Unfortunately, this Doomsday Killer plotline also led to the episode's biggest blunder: Dexter caught Travis but then let him go in order to nab Professor Gellar instead. First of all, since when does Dexter let suspected serial killers go? Don't they ALL claim to be innocent? Plus, remember that time Dexter neglected to finish off the Trinity Killer? We all saw how that turned out. So yeah, Travis's release just straight up didn't make sense. The worst part was, while we haven't gotten official confirmation yet, does anyone have any doubt that Professor Gellar isn't a figment of Travis's imagination? You commenters sussed this out pretty quickly during the first few episodes, but this particular episode was just FULL of hints that this is indeed the case. Once again Gellar interacted with nobody but Travis, opened no doors, did no driving. His picture was even published on the front page of the paper along with the headline "Doomsday Killer" (very ethical newspaper!), yet nobody even noticed him at a crowded nightclub. At this point, what was once a clever twist is now so expected it's verging on boring. That is, unless it's all misdirection and Gellar is actually real! I'm not betting on it, though.

The other highlight of the episode—if we can call a huge bummer a highlight—was the brutal shooting of Brother Sam by some shadowy hoodlum. While his screen time this week was limited to a brief front porch conversation at Dexter's pad, Mos Def continued to bring a stellar, nuanced presence to a show that desperately needs it. It's unclear whether Brother Sam will survive his (admittedly very serious) wounds, but I'm certainly hoping we haven't lost him just yet. He's so good! I could honestly watch Dexter and Brother Sam converse all day. Their discussion about bringing lightness to battle darkness was an elegant, simple summation of Dexter's struggle to balance the joy of fatherhood with the needs of his Dark Passenger. I have to say, when this season was advertised as being heavy on Dexter's religious explorations, I never expected it to be handled with such a light touch (so to speak). Brother Sam wasn't proselytizing, he was more just being a good, super-compassionate friend to a man who could really use one.

As for the goings-on at the world's worst law enforcement agency, Deb dipped her toe into self-improvement waters when she finally agreed to see the department psychologist. She'd been having a tough go of things since she got her promotion, a stress made worse by Quinn asking for the engagement ring back and also Deb getting chewed out by Dexter's nanny for leaving crime scene photos in Harry Jr.'s line of sight. (Don't you love how Dexter did the same thing only a few weeks back?) Anyway, the whole thing resulted in Deb finally renting her own place, a beachfront house still sticky with blood from a recent murder-suicide. (Febreze will NOT get that smell out.) At the same time, she forged an unsteady friendship with the (apparently married!) new detective, Anderson. All in all, Deb's storyline was fine, just not incredibly essential.

Slightly more essential was Batista and Quinn's road trip to interview a former teacher's assistant (and lover) of Professor Gellar's named Clarissa (hey look, it's Lorena from True Blood!). We learned some interesting things about Gellar, namely that Clarissa didn't believe it was possible that he could be the Doomsday Killer, and also that he was a bit of a womanizer. Plus, she kept a banker's box full of Gellar's possessions, including personal diaries and whatnot. I'm guessing these clues hinted at Clarissa's involvement in his murder (because he's totally dead, right?). Which is why it was just completely reprehensible when Quinn SLEPT WITH HER? What the—? Quinn is the worst! What is with these people?

Finally, Masuka had a new assistant in the lab to take over where Stickyfingers Ryan left off: Louis, a handsome computer geek who was also played by a recognizable TV actor (Josh Cooke). He used his computer savvy to help research the Book of Revelation, and later he used his (apparently magical?) computer to erase an eBay listing from the internet? Not sure, but it sounded impossible. Anyway, yeah, there was that guy.

So all in all, we learned a few more things about the killer(s) and now the fate of a character hangs in the balance, but otherwise not a lot else moved forward this week. I understand not every episode can have the jolts or pay-off that last week's did, so I'm cautiously optimistic that this week won't feel like merely wheel-spinning once we see where it's all headed.

What did you think of the episode?

RANDOM BLOOD SPLATTERS:

... Does anyone know the meaning of Clarissa's tramp stamp symbol? It looked similar to the auspiciously placed book on her bookshelf. Are we dealing with a crazy person of a different faith here?

... Ryan couldn't be gone that easily, could she?

... Were you super sad that LaGuerta was M.I.A.?

... Is it TOO obvious that Gellar is imaginary, or does this show have a trick up its sleeve?

... Any predictions about Brother Sam's fate? Get well soon, you O.G. for G-O-D!

BONUS TEASE:

Longtime Dexter fans will NOT want to miss next week's episode. Let's just say the final scene sees the return of a familiar face, and it's a doozie. I've seen the screener so I know who it is, but guesses and speculation are welcome below!

Argh I was so disappointed by this episode.

1) Brother Sam -- UM! How can you go and shoot *the best* character ever? I've just been blown away by Mos Def, and I love the dialogue between Sam and Dexter.

2) Ryan -- Erm. No. Come on, bring her back! Or at least connect the dots (between her and Louis, and THENNNNNN bring her back)

3) Quinn -- I just hate that guy.
Impossible for Gellar to be Travis' imagination, doesn't make any sense.

Really poor judgment there, sorry. Gellar has never been portrayed as maybe not being there, people not talking to him in a night club is perfectly normal and happens to Travis.

You would neet to look deeper than that, like the fact that Gellar stands alone thinking about everything, looking at paintings, and Travis isn't even there, he's going about his life. How could Gellar been imagination??

ANd with that, you understand that Travis is just being made to do it, it's not finding an excuse to do it, he really doesn't want it, he's just stupid enough to belive GOD makes them do it.
By the code, Dexter only kills one who commits the actual killing. Travis' role in Doomsday killing is unconfirmed. As for Gellar, let's find out later if the phone call Travis made to Gellar was real or not.
~ I've always believed Gellar was Travis' imagination. Ever since they chained that guy (horseman)

~I thought Stickyfingers Ryan would be part of the storyline somehow, ending up uncovering Dexter's dark passenger

~I doubt brother Sam dies, but am sure someone out there has it coming (read: Bay Habour Butcher), Brother Sam was becoming like Harry to Dexter. There talks are good times

~I am not a big LaGuerta fan though, her manipulating ways were a good riddance

I disagree with you, The Sam/Dexter dialogue is awful, I can't help but roll my eyes every time those two speak to each other about good/evil/religion.

And yes, totally silly that Dexter let Travis go. Harry's code involves not getting caught, it's like the main part, the basis of the code, yet he let Travis go after he could have seen his face in the mirror, and heard his voice. Dexter is so out of character this season.

Something you didn't pick up on: The Ice Truck Killer's hand - Louis said it was bought through a proxy, and whomever bought it didn't want to be found. Could Brother Sam be the buyer? Is that why he's so obsessed in discussing "dark passengers" with Dexter? Who is the REAL Sam? I'm certain he isn't genuine.
Gellar being not real was a possibility but I think the writers just wanted to tease us a bit with that.

On the other hand, I have suspicions that Brother Sam will be the one to reap Dexter, when the series ends. I think Dexter having a friend who isn't either a serial killer or a wannabe-apprentice is just not this shows normality.
Well I stopped reading this review after three paragraphs. I had no clue Gellar being imaginary was a thought for anyone, so I would have loved that twist if it weren't ruined for me (if it becomes true that is)
What if Dexter has to face his greatest turmoil so far: should he kill Travis if he really did the murders as Gellar? How will Harry deal with this?

As a side note: If someone with split personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
This comment has been removed.
Insults!!!

Haaa! You must be right then...

We won't do it anymore.
I had a couple problems with this episode, and the Doomsday Killer angle as a whole.

1) Once again, Dexter's self-described philosophy of only going after killers who have escaped justice is write out the window. by just doing his actual job and telling Deb about the wings, the police could probably quickly find the obviously kinda crazy Travis.

2) Gellar's dead, and Dexter's gonna find out that Travis is a split personality, capable of sounding innocent in his breakdown in the car and then murdering people. Dexter hasn't actually killed anyone before getting them to confess in the face of overwhelming evidence (except for the photographer, but that mistake was a major plot point). But everything is being telegraphed way too much.
1) Yeah, I had the same thought. I guess he feels the need to get the biggest killers for himself, even if they have a chance to get caught by a current police investigation.

2) I didn't get your point, sorry !
I personally think Gellar is already dead and is the result of Travis' sick mind.

I would even dare to make my own plot (below) 'bout Travis and Gellar's story together:

Travis, as Gellar's student, became a fan of the professor/writer/ "source of inspiration" to his sick ideas.

Very probably, after having haressed Gellar as an unconditional fan he is, Travis shared his thoughts with the teacher who, obviously would not sponsor his ideas. He was then, mostly obliged to get rid of Gellar.

However, he could not accept to be apart from the one who was his sole inspiration. So, today he's guided by visions of the chosen one (Gellar's phantom, the one who talks with God).

On top of all that, Travis (by using the image of the professor) feels redeemed from his sins and reduces his own culpability level/participation in the murders (he's a believer after all).

He's somewhat like Dex (who with his father figure is always validating his misguided actions and choices). Dex builds a "mature" and "reasonable" argument explaining why he needs to get rid of serial/sick killers.

Travis does the same (with his invisible gourou). He must get rid of sinners, thus must prepare the world to the coming apocalypse. He's a minor servant for making good to humanity or justice.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing how Dex will deal w/ this killer. I mean if above exposition is "confirmed", Travis is the only Doomsday killer to be blamed and NOT a simple puppet (as supposed by Dex on yesterday's episode).

Of course, there's also possibility that Gellar is real (because the writers are playing with us and with our senses), but I really would appreciate an outcome like described above.

I'm enjoying this season (the last one, I found it a bit deceiving). Guess because I do not like Lumen's character. So I hope she's not the one that will be back this season.

Finally, about yesterday's story: Quinn is an idiot; Baptista always adorable; LaGuerta is a real pain, then I do not miss her; Deb will probably have a relation w/ the new guy (whom I'm not sure is really married); hope Bro Sam gets well soon....

...and I have not had thoughts about it (someone mentioned about Ryan earlier), but yes it is true, she may be back in the future and may be a surprise.
Kill the professor because he "would not sponsor his ideas"? Really?

The Dexter/Harry dynamic is not at all the same as Travis/Gellar. Dexter's Dark Passenger is not that he "needs to get rid of serial killers". Have you watched the first season?

Anyhow, wasn't it established in this episode that Travis cannot kill someone? (as himself anyway)
Less doing... imo that's completely logical. Dex's in the middle of a crisis. He barely even killed, this season. He broke his slides. Harrison (fatherhood) and Brother Sam (redemption) both got him to rethink his "lifestyle". The choices he made. Harry' s code. Everything. And I don't think this is really about religion. Redemption is not merely a christian idea. In the first episode of the season there was a lot of talking about what do you believe in and ethics and I guess Dex is trying to figure this stuff out. I see this as good character development. I loved the serial killer, but he needs to stop at some point, for himself and for his son.
Thanks. I hope your comment will be read by people thinking that he is out of character.
I realized that if someone would not have suggested that Gellar was in Travis's head, which started the debate, we probably all would have been watching a very different show...

Tho it is fun to exchange views with everyone, this could be a two edges sword.

(I think I'm gonna sit out for a while.)
Yeah that's what I said two eps ago or last week. I know myself, and I know that I would have never guessed. I'm sure that the writers weren't expecting that people would notice so early. They introduce the website thing to us at that point hoping that the few suspicions that could have emerged would be shattered. Therefore, I'm afraid that the revelation will be treated as a major twist that will seem spoiled for us.
I hope brother sam being shot pushes him to the dark side. Then we can have dexter forced to kill sam like he did his brother and see another touching scene like the sliting of his brother's throat.
While I still think it will be awesome to see the slow burn of clues pointing out to Gellar being dead, and Travis being completely insane, only to have Dexter corner Travis and be knocked out by Gellar from behind effectively killing the "Gellar's not real" theory... (because, really, why bring Edward James Olmos aboard and not have him and Michael C. Hall act opposite one another?)

... I now think it would be a lot more awesome to have Dexter and insane Travis in their little duel, and pane out to the background, and we have Harry and Gellar having a heart-to-heart between Dark Passengers.

"So, does your guy listen to you?"

"Not as much as he did, but I still get him to follow a code, and maintain a little order in his life. Having trouble with yours?"

"Yeah, absolutely. I tell him to go kill, and he ends up in bed with them, or comes home crying 'I couldn't do it.' Wuss."
lol :)
LoL!
Awesome episode with lots of Development. I wonder what bigger part Clarissa may be playing. Ryan will pop up again I'm sure. I didn't miss LaGuerta, I think we will be stunned at the truth about Gellar, which ever direction it is. I think Brother Sam will survive, and it ties into a larger story line. Perhaps someone is tracking Dexter which led them to Sam.
I think its a brilliant move on the authors side letting us believe that Gellar is a imagination/hallucination of Travis. After seeing last episode Im sure Gellar is f... real!

But if Travis is supposed to be a heavy schizo, they have to do much more better or they will insult the "longtime Dexter fans".

Who is coming back ? Longtime Dexter fans - so it cant be Lumen. Doakes IS dead, Lundy is dead, his brother(ITK) is dead ... Maybe Dexters crazy love from season 2 - but he killed her in Paris with an injection - maybe she survived ? Maybe the teenager he refused to kill, because he remembered him of himself - but now he is a mature killer ?
Something I'm really confused about is if Gellar is imaginary then why does no one think Travis is crazy for talking to himself so much? I mean this guy has been in coffee shops and other public places clearly talking to someone yet no one looks over to give him crazy looks. I mean even in the bar scene he sits there talking to Gellar while girls in the background give him do-me eyes. I'm sorry but if he was talking to an imaginary person in that scene I would think he would be getting much crazier looks. Maybe one of the other plot holes of Dexter I guess.
The problem is that if we for initial hypothesis that the guy is crazy , anything is possible. I mean, what we see, in this hypothesis, is what Travis sees. There is no way to know what the reality is. Maybe Travis pictures himself talking to gellar whereas in reality he's just standing there not talking. Maybe he has all thoses visions during his sleep and just integrate them into his real memories. And Maybe Gellar is real and just very discreet.

There is no way to know until we get a real confrontation between Travis' reality and Dexter's one (which is ours)/
Yeah, I definitely agree with Im_right_aint_i on the idea that Travis might have been just picturing himself talking to Gellar. It's just too difficult to figure out a crazy person's mind. The same thing happens to Dexter, when he talks to Harry, btw. I will buy this idea that Gellar is just in his imagination, but I will be fucking angry if he turns out to be real - like showing up at the last minute to knock Dexter out, just like somebody mentioned above - that would be outrageous - not very surprising, just a big clich.
Ha Gellar did open the door around the 35th minute. :P
What I think Price means is that he doesn't open a door that anyone walks through. Like if he would open a door and Travis would walk through. Or if he would have opened the trunk. Or help Travis get the girl in the trunk. Or close the trunk... stuff like that.
Professor's 'tramp stamp' is the Om symbol

you're welcome :)
Holy shit I didn't even notice about LaGuerta! Hah that's how much she sucks.
Well, wasn't it said in a previous season that she does the best BJ in Miami? ;)
Dexter fans be honest, the show just feels forced and contrived now, doesn't it? Locusts?! Come on! It is WAY to elaborate and not in the realm of logic or reality, where Dexter used to somewhat exist and what made it compelling. It just seems like a whole lot of talking and less doing on Dexters part. I mean what can possibly happen at the end of the season, Dexter will be enlightened? Hell no, we all know that religion is something that Dexter has dealt with before and as pragmatic as he is i'm finding it harder and harder that he is starting to believe in something and making and acting on decisions based on that. So his son gets sick and he asks god to help and then he gets a coffee?! Really?! Somebody mentioned it last week and i really hope they don't bring this idea that Dexter owes something to God and that they follow up with what Harry tells him... that would be RIDICULOUS. True and honest fans of Dexter have to admit that the writers are attempting to serialize the show and drum up drama for 2 dimensional characters in a none organic way. They are undoing 4 AWESOME seasons. Dexter you used to be SOO MUCH BETTER than this. And fans who say they don't like thinking when watching each episode and that they 'just go along for the ride' without giving thought to plot devices, metaphors, foreshadowing and what not... That is quite a two dimensional world you live in, there is nothing wrong with critical thinking, it actually makes it worth it when the show is good. It allows us to get inside the heads of the writers and put things together and formulate theories based on evidence. Brilliant writing is something that makes us question, speculate, and think for ourselves and shitty writing is all on the surface. No depth. Something Dexter is seriously lacking now. It is unfortunate because i used to be a huge of the Dexter and the writing before season 5 and whatever the hell this is. Price Peterson, people may tell you that you put a negative cloud on Dexter, but i say keep writing... Dexter at this point deserves the criticism and not to mention it is your job to be objective and think critically. Something that deluded fans fail to grasp.
Worst season yet IMO, something is gonna have to be pulled out of the shows' ass in order to save it....still Season #1 is best of all...
Good episode for me.

I am a bit annoyed as well by the disappearance of Ryan... The Masuka storyline continues though and it's not that great (an auction site that demands to get the pieces to sale in storage to auction them, really ?). But it's subplots you know, so let's see where it goes. Maybe next week, Masuka's new buddy will go to www.internet.com to erase something else -__-

I don't really understand why everybody here is still trying to find out if Gellar's real or not. I mean, we know that we won't get hard evidence of his realness of fictitiousness until the last few episodes. All that we can do is over-interpret everything this poor fella does : nobody wins at that so stop arguing. Just wait and see guys. Either he's real and we've all been duped, or he's fictitious and the big reveal will be a major disappointment.

Price, thanks for the spoiler. I understand that you're eager to share what you know but please don't tell what happens in the last scene of the fricking next episode ! Now, I of course thought about it and I'm pretty sure it will be Landy because it fits two storylines : deb's (alone, overbooked, looking for some romance) and the main one (extraordinary killer, no luck in the local investigation, quinn's fuck up, deb is a rookie Lt => FBI =>Landy).

Or it could be Lumen (I'm one of the few that loved her).

I liked the fact Brother gets some drama. It will probably reveal how much Dexter cares for him.

Lorena looks like as crazy as she was in True Blood ! From the looks of the preview, next week will be great with her.

So good episode. The story is going ahead and that's good. Seven episodes left : I think they will be great.
I guess you meant "Lundy (Frank)"... or "Liddy (Stan)" but weren't they both killed?

As for Gellar, we know that we won't find out until later but you have to admit the show is doing its best to make us wonder... therefore debating about it.

And I agree about Price spoiling the surprise. Not cool at all. I think I'll avoid this site for the rest of the show.
Yes I meant Lundy. But I totally forgot that he was dead. I recall now : trinity killed him because he was getting close of him. Too bad, I would have liked to see him :(

Yes, the show makes us wonder. By "stop arguing", I meant "stop trying to convince people that you are right". The debate is kinda stuck because we all have those tiny clues which can be interpreted either way. And even when we'll see Gellar talk to someone, we'll be like : " yeah, but maybe that conversation was an hallucination from travis or maybe travis sees himself as Gellar sometimes".

My point is : if we take for a hypothesis that one guy is crazy, anything is possible and everything that we see maybe not true. Nobody, either we believed he's real or not, can be categoric because we can't trust what we see. So it's quite pointless to debate on that matter.
"if we take for a hypothesis that one guy is crazy, anything is possible"

Can't argue with that...

Still, if Travis is not mentally sick, they will have to explain the restaurant and the kitchen scenes where both girls never looked at Gellar. But, they might not... or just do another "Masuka's auction site" on us.
Well actually, those scenes can still be logic in the case of Gellar being real. In the diner, we can argue that the girl was hitting on Travis and therefore was so captivated by his charisma that she did not even notice that he had company.. And in the kitchen, we could say that she was paralyzed by fear and that, despite the fact that she doesn"t make eyecontact with Gellar, her reactions seem quite consistent with the situation.

But as I said, we don't know what the reality is. Maybe Travis doesn't talk at all when he's picturing himself speaking with *imaginary*Gellar. That would explain why nobody is looking at him as a crazy dude who talks to himself.
Trinity didn't killed Lundy - Trinities daughter killed Lundy and shot Debra . Rember short woman Quin was having sex - she was some kind reporter.

Al tough Dexter allways get in tbig troublke when he just dont kill - he should killed trinity at first change, same for brother SAM (although i now like him) and Travis to but well than show wouldn't be so great.
Damn. I should rewatch the previous seasons !
Staff
Sorry guys, point taken. I'd hoped it was generic enough to just get people excited. I won't do it in the future.
Price, do you really believe that the people here needed THAT to be excited about the next episode? ;)

I can understand that it was mostly YOUR excitement about "the return" that you wanted to share and didn't realized, in the excitement, that it would spoil it for us.

Apologies accepted.

Between Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Ringer and Person of Interest there is plenty of excitement this year. Luckily Breaking Bad is finished or I think I would need to be hospitalized...
Best thing so far about this season is Brother Sam. Every part of you wants him to be as good as he seems, but than you're alittle hesitant because this is Dexter after all. But Mos Def is most definitely hitting his betrayal of this character out of the park. That conversation with him and Dexter, was thoughtful and not forced. Michael C. Hall and Mos Def play wonderfully off each other. I can't decide is Gellar is all in Travis mind or if he really does exist. Kind of tired of wondering. The new detective kind of reminds me of Doakes, once he starts to really notice Dexter, I think we will see Doakes 2.O.

All I know is Brother Sam better not die. As far as guessing who, I'll give it a try. The only person that would cause me to say woah, would be Dexter's Brother "Ice Truck Killer", cause I'm a little curious why the case was mentioned again in season 6 through Ryan. But in order for it to be his brother, the writers would have to do some unbelievable storytelling, because when Dexter kills, the person usually stays dead.
Gellar is who Miami Metro is looking for right? His face was on there board when Debra was leading their meeting. And Travis is pointing Dexter to Geller, so I believe Gellar is real...Been wrong before but seems like hes for real. Brother Sam isn't dead...yet. The new detective Anderson is great i love his part in this show.

Two questions?

Wasnt last weeks episode the first time dexter didn't kill someone? and then this week again he didn't? I might be wrong about the first time he didn't kill someone, but two episodes in a row???

And the thing that bothers me the most is Quinn knows Dexter as DEXTER, quinn knows he fudged the blood from liddy. Why have they not elaborated on this? no hints or anything so far, if ive missed something please let me know?
oh, I forgot to comment on Dex letting Travis go.

He did it because of his recent conversations with Brother Sam: inner light and darkness and all that. It's true that Gellar is manipulating Travis, Dexter realizes this, and he wants to try to save him from the darkness before he kills anyone (if he was telling the truth and hadn't-he doesn't really fit the code of Harry). Plus, as Dex mentions, he needs Travis to lead him to Gellar.
He is NOT IMAGINARY. In this episode there was a scene when it was only Professor Gellar on camera, Travis had already left the church, and Professor Gellar spoke.

He is quite real, I assure you. Please stop trying to turn it into something it's not.

Also, I really don't blame Quinn for sleeping with Lorena. She is fiiiiine. Plus, this is Quinn we're talking about-he's pretty much a man-whore. She's a professor of religious studies, maybe her tattoo is unrelated. I hope. Not everything or everyone should be connected.

Let's see, characters from Dexter seasons past who aren't dead: not many important ones. Astor+Cody? Lumen? The Irish nanny? That's pretty much it...

"it was only Professor Gellar on camera, Travis had already left the church, and Professor Gellar spoke"

It's not proof. Travis' hallucinations can also include imagining the room he just left with his imaginary friend inside. That doesn't make the dude real.

Maybe the all conversation is dreamed and Travis speaks as Gellar and as himself. And then he's standing in the church as Gellar and imagine himself getting out.

We just don't know for sure right now. That's kind the point of the plot.
If you are right: Travis is basically showing signs of paranoid schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder, which combined just doesn't really happen. Schizophrenia accounts for the hallucination of Gellar (he can only be seen, heard, and felt by Travis); DID accounts for the two styles of cutting on the bodies (two personalities) and the amnesia when Gellar ties up the waitress. However, to have schizophrenic hallucinations of your other personalities doesn't happen.

But, of course this is television, so medical truth could be dropped in favor of entertainment.

I still hold fast to my belief/hope that Gellar is a real, physical presence. It makes more sense medically, it adds more to the plot, and if some overzealous Fight Club fan hadn't suggested the hallucination theory in the first place none of you would be considering it. We will of course have to wait at least until Sunday to find out for sure, but I am confident in my beliefs.
I hope as well that he is real because if he's not, the twist will be greatly spoiled for me :(
I don't doubt Quinn would want to sleep with the girl... I doubt the girl would want to sleep with Quinn
Boo. I hate spoilers, even light ones like "A familiar character will return." Well, now that I'm expecting it, i really doubt this "doozie" of a return will have as much impact.
It's cause hes right! Be honest, the show just feels forced and contrived now, doesn't it? Locusts?! Come on! It is WAY to elaborate and not in the realm of logic or reality, where Dexter used to somewhat exist and what made it compelling. It just seems like a whole lot of talking and less doing on Dexters part. I mean what can possibly happen at the end of the season, Dexter will be enlightened? Hell no, we all know that religion is something that Dexter has dealt with before and as pragmatic as he is i'm finding it harder and harder that he is starting to believe in something and making and acting on decisions based on that. So his son gets sick and he asks god to help and then he gets a coffee?! Really?! Somebody mentioned it last week and i really hope they don't bring this idea that Dexter owes something to God and that they follow up with what Harry tells him... that would be RIDICULOUS. True and honest fans of Dexter have to admit that the writers are attempting to serialize the show and drum up drama for 2 dimensional characters in a none organic way. They are undoing 4 AWESOME seasons. Dexter you used to be SOO MUCH BETTER than this. And fans who say they don't like thinking when watching each episode and that they 'just go along for the ride' without giving thought to plot devices, metaphors, foreshadowing and what not... That is quite a two dimensional world you live in, there is nothing wrong with critical thinking, it actually makes it worth it when the show is good. It allows us to get inside the heads of the writers and put things together and formulate theories based on evidence. Brilliant writing is something that makes us question, speculate, and think for ourselves and shitty writing is all on the surface. No depth. Something Dexter is seriously lacking now. It is unfortunate because i used to be a huge of the Dexter and the writing before season 5 and whatever the hell this is. Price Peterson, people may tell you that you put a negative cloud on Dexter, but i say keep writing... Dexter at this point deserves the criticism and not to mention it is your job to be objective and think critically. Something that deluded fans fail to grasp.
Office Dokes (Sp?) He didn't die in the books, so maybe he lived through the explosion in the tv show also.
ow man..... i did not read this
Well, now I have my answer: they really think that we are dumb.

Masuka: "You have to give the site what you're selling before they agree to auction it".

Really? Who would fall for such a site? Cheap excuse for a cheap plot line and if this whole Ryan story ends there... it's even worst "fill up writing".

And now, looks like they are poorly trying to hint that Gellar is really next to Travis... by having him "leave" the club because his pic is in the newspaper and having Travis "speak" to him on the phone. (Which could all be part of Travis' hallucinations)

Seems like the writers are tired this season... I know (hope) it will get better but, quite a ... more weak start. If they were planning to surprise us they missed there shot.

Quinn is so lame. I can't believe that girls fall for a guy like this in real life. Anyhow, the side story with the assistant professor is to show us the blind devotion that people seem (seemed) to have for Gellar. That serves to explain Travis' dynamic.

I don't think that Brother Sam is dead. That would also be such a let down, like that Ryan story, if it ends there. It is probably, as someone mentionned, an excuse to divert from the main plot line and have Dexter do a bit of his thing. Got to keep certain fans interested and, well, fill a few episodes before the big bang.

I knew Dexter would not kill Travis... yet anyway. Yes, others have claimed to be innocent but Travis pointed to someone, Gellar, contrarily to the others.

Gellar may be dead but may also be still alive but, the one we see is an hallucination in Travis' mind. I still can't believe that they would waste a great actor like Olmos for just that. So I think that we are going to see Travis and Gellar merge more and more as the season progresses and the later take over. Then while Dexter will interact with Travis we will see Gellar talking back.

(A bit hard to explain here but some of you surely have seen movies where they used that trick.)

I still can't get rid of the feeling that something very bad is going to happen to Debra.
Dude, I was so waiting to read your reaction about the ebay thing ^^. I'm not disappointed. "You have to give what you sell to the auction site so they can auction it" : yeah who's gonna use this site ? ^^
Maybe it's just me, but I never even noticed the possibility of Gellar being a figment of Travis's imagination. When I love a movie/tv show, I don't try to figure out plot twists in advance. I just watch and go along for the ride. Guess I shouldn't have read this post.... Oh well.
Dexter letting Travais go was about as stupid as him saving Arthur's life. I'm okay with it if it leads the show down an interesting path, but it wasn't very smart.

I still hope Gellar is real, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. I hope they don't treat it as a huge plot twist nobody saw coming, because then it'll be pretty stupid.

Pretty sure Nick shot Sam, and Dexter will kill the new gang leader to help Nick stay away from the gang.

And WTF happened to the blood slides? Dexter dropping them looked like something major after killing the Tooth Fairy, but they weren't mentioned again.

Could the returning character be... LUMEN?! *giddy giddy* Unless they bring another ghost, she's basically the only guest character who's still alive...
I totally agree with you about the blood slides. Where are they now? Did Dexter put them back behind the air conditionner? I kept hoping that he threw them out and that the nanny or Deb would have found them.

And it also didn't make much sense that he seemed ok this week after the look on his face after he dropped the blood slides. Maybe we'll get answers next week (I hope!).
Same here. It looked so dramatic when he dropped them...

Lots of loose ends this season:

1- The slides: What happened next?

2- Batista's sister: Why introduce, then drop, her.

3- Ryan: Same here. Short appearance with some kind of lame story about an auction site.

4- The "Ice Truck Killer": We still need to see if they're going somewhere with this or if it was just fillings.
Lumen!!! yes, that would be nice. And it would fit well since last season was kind of a prelude to this one and fit with the theme "Can I control my Dark Passenger and how?".

1-Trinity 2-Lumen 3-Brother Sam. Her return would loop the loop.
I'm not a big fan of the negative cloud you put over this episode.
Also, Gellar and Travis spoke on the phone?
Could be part of Travis' hallucinations.
The book on Clarissa's shelf was in Arabic letters, and her tattoo was "om", the Hindu symbol. So no, not really related.
Staff
Thanks! Good to know.
He did interact with the car door...

Staff
Good catch.
...and he did the painting for the next murder scene, and he painted the head for the horsemen scene and he put a flashlight on the snakes. But that could all be part of Travis' hallucinations. We're shown what Travis sees. The main thing is that Gellar has never been seen without Travis being around.
First of all I love your reviews read em every time..

... The book on Clarissa's bookshelf were in Arabic letters and the tramp stamp was Sanskryt

... Ryan will pop up again even if it is just to screw with the department

... LaGuerta who ;)

... I think Gellar is very dead and I think travis did it (maybe even by excident) and because he did it, he sees a manifestation of Gellar..

... Brother Sam will be just fine, this gives dexter a excuse to go of the main plotline and do some killing

I hope the familiar face is dexters brother (the icetruck killer) as a figment of dexters imagination like harry..

On a side note: I'm from holland so forgive any grammatical mistakes..
Staff
Your English is better than mine! I'm jealous.
Nothing really important to comment this week.

-I'd say the tattoo indicates that she's a tramp/slut/what-have-you. More than that I cannot say.

-I'm still hoping we get to see Ryan again.

-Hate LaGuerta, let's have her M.I.A. from the rest of the show.

-I think there are clear points to him being imaginary, but it's not too obvious, nor would that really be a problem. I have no problem with it, and they're doing a good job of having the two characters relate to each other. Or so I think.

-I want Brother Sam to live, the guy's awesome. No predictions.

A guess for the familiar face for next week would be that of Sylvia Prado, Miguel's wife, just for fun. That being said, I still miss Astor and Cody (though I might be the only one). I loved those little kids.
i really hope Gellar is real and not just a illusion
i'm with you
I haven't watched this show yet but everyone keeps raving about it. Gotta get on with it.
Staff
Definitely start with Season 1.
haven't watched this one yet.... tomorrow, for sure! sooo damn excited.