Dexter: Faith is a Double-Edged Sword

"Jesus Christ!" These days it's more of a curse than a call for redemption, but it was a strangely appropriate reaction when Dexter approached the insane crime scene at the start of Sunday's episode, "Horse of a Different Color." In a murder tableau inspired by the Book of Revelations, a human corpse had been divided into pieces, attached to four live horses, and loosed in the streets of Miami to signify the harbingers of the apocalypse. (So a typical Tuesday, basically!) The nightmarish scene promised a thrilling new hunt for Dexter (who grinned like it was his birthday), but the larger theological implications were what really helped make this episode the best hour of the season so far.

This episode of Dexter actually had a few things working in its favor, the main one being that it finally unified all the major plot elements for the season: the Doomsday Killer, Miami Metro's investigation, Dexter's friendship with Brother Sam and their resulting conversations about faith. Who knew that having everyone on the same page would render everything more purposeful and compelling? I understand that a certain amount of set-up needed to happen in order to get us to this place, but it still begs the question of whether it was completely necessary to keep Dexter unaware of the Big Bad for three whole episodes? I mean, is that good storytelling or is it just spinning wheels? You know what, don't answer that. Let's just appreciate what we've got now!

Now that Dexter and Miami Metro are firmly aware of the Doomsday Killer (yes, singular, more on that in a sec), WE are finally getting a better sense of what exactly has been going on in that decrepit church. For one thing, Professor Gellar (Edward James Olmos) is a former theology professor who was let go for alleged artifact theft; not coincidentally, an antique sword was used to murder the first two victims. Professor Gellar's interactions with Travis (Colin Hanks) this week were mostly limited to Travis's awkward romantic tryst with a local waitress and Professor Gellar's punishment for Travis having "defiled" her. The episode culminated with the season's second consecutive glorious WTF climax, which went something like this:

I don't know, the locusts that followed might have been overkill, but at least the swarm led to Dexter eyeing Travis in the crowd (Dexter knows a killer when he sees one). I believe someone pointed this out in last week's comments, and this week's episode definitely confirmed it in my mind: Professor Gellar is most likely a figment of Travis' imagination! It's very Fight Club, but we still haven't seen Professor Gellar speak to anybody other than Travis. Neither the jogging victim nor the waitress seemed to lay eyes on him, plus he was absent from the crime scene—whereas Travis was hanging out like he had nowhere else to be. All we know is that Gellar "went off the grid" after his final blog post on the date of the first murder, but there's no reason to believe Travis hasn't somehow incorporated a long-dead professor into his own schizophrenia. I guess we'll see!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Miami Metro office plotlines were also pretty great this week. Deb got off to a slightly shaky start in her new capacity as boss, but this episode more or less confirmed what we've been suspecting: Miami Metro, until this point, has basically been the worst crime-solving team in North America and LaGuerta is mostly to blame! Think about it: They've now investigated half-a-dozen serious serial killers, yet Quinn doesn't even know the most basic serial-killer lingo? Also LaGuerta insisted on hiring only from within, which would have prevented the undeniably smart new detective from bringing some much needed expertise to the department (well, he's smart with cases, but a bit of a dunce when it comes to tact). LaGuerta also attempted to hijack Deb's press conference only to have Deb do it her own way and become a local hero from dropping the F-bomb on live television (Oh, Deb). This season has done a great job of pointing out just how horrible LaGuerta is, and to be honest, LaGuerta is a much better character the more evil she gets. Lauren Velez is a talented lady, but the sappy, vulnerable side of LaGuerta has always done her a disservice. Bring on the villainy!

Probably my favorite parts of this episode were the two lengthy, low-key, and lovely exchanges with Brother Sam, which were so smart and well-acted they were like something you'd see on AMC! As Brother Sam and Dexter have grown closer (a bond verging on friendship) they've began to talk openly about faith, how it's a double-edged sword that can be wielded by good men and evil men alike. As someone who's found himself on both sides of the faith divide, Sam made some compelling arguments about the dangers of putting too much faith in the wrong person, which shines a light on Dexter's relationship with Harry, not to mention Travis' relationship with Gellar (imaginary or not). In Brother Sam's case, his faith in his abusive father led him down a path of murder, but his later faith in an intervening God set him back on the path of righteousness. While Dexter remained slightly skeptical of God's existence, his conclusive admission that science doesn't have all the answers indicated a new open-mindedness on the subject. But seriously let's get to what's important here: How good is Mos? This is some Emmy-level stuff he's doing, and it's nothing less than a thrill to watch.

The thing I enjoyed least about this episode (apart from the pot-smoking shenanigans of Quinn and Batista) was that it took a formerly intriguing plotline and more or less trashed it. Last week when intern Ryan stole the MANNEQUIN hand (got it, commenters!), it seemed to be a suggestion that she was somehow linked to the Ice Truck Killer, and my imagination ran wild with what THAT could mean. Instead we found out this week she merely stole the item to sell on eBay. Whoops! Definitely not as interesting. Anyway, the one good thing that came from it? Masuka fired her. It's so rare he's allowed moments to prove that he's serious about his job, so I instantly respected him when he asked her to leave. Ultimately I'm hoping there will be another twist to this plotline, but this disappointing turn of events was probably more a victim of my own expectations than anything.

I don't mean to shock you guys, but this episode was one of the more solid hours of Dexter I can remember. Credit where credit's due!

RANDOM BLOOD SPLATTERS:

... Do YOU think Travis and Gellar are the same person?

... Have we seen the last of Ryan?

... Did you detect possible romantic sparks between Deb and the new detective?

... Do you completely trust Brother Sam yet?

... If the new detective is as competent as he seems, how long before he's onto Dexter?

You know it hadn't occured to me, but now that you mention it, there is a definite Sixth Sense element to how Geller interacts - or doesn't - with anyone other than Travis. I think you might be right. Yes, I know - you probably know for sure either way by now, but in the UK we just got to this ep last night.
I hope Ryan pops up next season, considering the person who actually bought the hand (won't spoil it)

BROTHER SAM! Oh my gosh. Mos Def is awesome. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.
This was a great episode, but the one thing that really pissed me off was at the very end, when that woman cop trips the wire that kills the girl, she gives no reaction to it whatsoever. She basically killed the poor woman due to her own stupidity, and then she just stand there with a completely neutral expression on her face, like she didn't do anything. I know she was an extra, but next time they should hire someone who can act. A more fitting reaction would have been sadness, shock, guilt, or all of the above, but certainly the non-reaction that she gave in that scene.
Certainly not the non-reaction* Damn typos.
Here we go with a possible Fight Club plotline. I think it will however work fine with Dexter, because one could almost (omos, lol) see a connection with Travis and 'Gellar' and Dexter and 'Harry'. The writers are Genius so they have probably thought of this as a protagonist VS. antagonist style of plot. Which ever way the story moves Im happy that chick from heros was canned and absolutely love Mos's portray of a man of faith:)
The thought that Travis and Gellar are one in the same didn't even cross my mind! And I usually think of that stuff. How brilliant would that be? Way to go people who have thought up that theory!

We have definitely not seen the last of Ryan. She mentioned all previous serial killers related to Dexter. She's going to pick up on a connection that no one else has found and blackmail Dexter. She'll also probably have closer relations with Masuka by this point so she'll be missed when Dexter puts her on his table. I'm guessing Masuka would be pretty dedicated in searching for his lover's killer.

And I don't see anything happening between Deb and the new detective. Yet. Through they probably will make it happen just to have that conflict between Deb and Quinn.

I totally trust Brother Sam. Because I definitely think that Sam is going to find out what Dexter is. Or Dexter is going to tell him. The real question is how Sam is going to react when he finds out. Will he turn him in, or keep his secret?

I do think the detective is competent however I don't know if they're going to focus on him this season. There's a LOT going on right now. Perhaps right at the end of the season? He would be smart enough not to mention ANYTHING to Deb about his suspicions (or at least he would figure out a plan for Deb to discover for herself) and I think that would be a season's story on its own.

I'll give you everything else but Ryan blackmailing Dexter. I don't even think she's on his level or even close to it. If anyone is getting blackmailed its Masuka for putting himself and her in the position for things to be so out of control to begin with.
"pichikin" was the first to suggest the idea.
I can't seem to land on either theory regarding Travis and whether he's taken on a personality of Gellar or if Gellar is actually there. A lot of the signs suggest that Travis may have a split/multiple personality disorder, with Gellar being one of those personalities. I'm inclined to believe that theory, but I can also nitpick a few things that suggest he's really there. I just can't tell if my little nitpicks suggest the writers are making very slight mistakes or problems with their big picture (as all shows and movies do), or if the writers are really just doing a double bluff (Gellar is really there, but not really there, but really is there!). Double bluffs are usually stupid and just the result of viewers thinking too much, but so far, everything regarding this theory has been very subtle, which could make the double bluff possible without it being farfetched or stupid.
That's my take too... Either it is bad writing like they try to make us believe that Travis is hallucinating, or, he is (and split personality). They also seem to borrow a lot of stuff from movies: Saw, Fight Club, Anamorphic. I just hope that they are not sitting on the previous ratings to get sloppy like "Prison Break" did in it's fourth year.
ill agree that the idea of gellar being a figment of travis' imagination is cool, but unlikely. Dexter says that there are two styles in the killings, that rough cuts of the horseman body, and the precision of the snake body. plus, how would he tie up the girl in the kitchen, but want to / try to let her go? Maybe he is possessed or something, which would be disappointing. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

And Brother Sam is awesome. Mos Def is doing well
I was just thinking that if they hired Edward James Olmos just to play a similar character as James Remar (Dexter's dad) it is a darn waste of a great actor. As someone else mentioned, it would be so cool to see the dynamic between Olmos and Hall.
"Have we seen the last of Ryan?"

I can't really tell. If that is all, it was quite useless and such an evident filler. But we've seen that with Batista and LaGuerta before: useless fillers. Anyway, she doesn't look (act) very sane. I wouldn't be surprised if she was involved with Travis.

"Did you detect possible romantic sparks between Deb and the new detective?"

Nope.

"Do you completely trust Brother Sam yet?"

Yes, I think he's genuine.

"If the new detective is as competent as he seems, how long before he's onto Dexter?"

End of this season and/or next season.

There is already plenty of stuff for this season.

I don't know but, after the whole hospital scene and the last discussion between Dexter and Harry, I am scared for Debra..
I hope that the writers of the show stay away from two reoccurring themes (1) The new guy sleeps with Deb and (2) The new guy starts suspecting Dexter... I do think Mos is a great addition and I love what he is bringing to the show.
and as for that old guy being an hallucination, heard that mentioned before so was on the look out for evidence, saw him pick something up so discounted it, but come to think of it now, that thing he picked up could have been an addition to the hallucination. - darn these unanswered questions :).
Maybe mentioned below, but just cos someone won the auction doesn't mean the arm has been shipped. Why he doesn't just go round her house, pick up arm and return, well that just beggars belief.
That woman cop that tripped the trap (hey! alliteration ftw! say that five times fast! can't do it!) is one of the worst extras I have ever seen. After she basically kills the woman they show a shot of her in the background, and shes just standing there all dumb faced. Why wouldn't the director come over to her and say "Okay you just killed this woman, so act distressed and overwhelmed. AND YOU! Male cop guy! You console her like your telling her it ain't her fault okay? Okay! Action!" Damn that s*** was so lame!

I liked the episode though. Quinn is funny when he's stoned! And Batista is creepy! Brother Sam is getting a little stale with the constant God-stuff, but he is acting the hell out of though!
"shes just standing there all dumb faced"

Never heard of post-traumatic shock?
Umm yeah PTSD is a mental disorder in which one often relives a traumatic experience in dreams and has panic symptoms for more than three months. Pshhh. So by definition it can't be PTSD. Any way nope she was just standing there with a dumb look on her face.
You are talking about post-traumatic stress disorder. I'm talking about post-traumatic shock. They all kind of look like that at first and it could be a sign that they will fall into PTSD if not helped right away. I think they also call it "Acute Stress Reaction" in English.
I'm sorry but Dexter has far too much of a scientific education to accept "science doesn't know all the answers therefore God could exist" ie. the God of the gaps argument. Dexter would understand that science is merely humanities continuing quest to explain things with facts rather than myths and emotional ("spiritual") highs, and just because a few answers will probably never be understood, it doesn't mean we have to say "God did it!" Dexter is a logically thinking person, that's all. That hospital scene really did irritate me because Dexter was so out of character.
He's not that much out of character. The whole show is based on how Dexter process things that he is not used to. Friendship, Family, Love and all those themes have been the center of the Dexter's evolution. Each season is concluded by a different Dexter who learned something. Maybe this one will conclude with a spiritual Dexter or just a Dexter that understands spiritual belief without adopting it.The fact that his son was in danger may made him consider all those things in that ep but as usual we'll see at the end where he stands.
His son was in surgery, so he was a little bit out of character. But I totally agree, the theological debates are on a low level.
I think we're going to see more of this "out of character" thing this year. Remember the last conversation with Harry.

That was Dexter's mind brewing this whole stuff together.
Maybe as Gellar went "off the grid" 3 years ago, Travis felt left alone by his mentor like Dexter felt with his dad. Then Travis started his psycosis and is now imaginating Gellar but Gellar still lives somewhere and up to some point he meets Dexter !!!
What I want to know is if Travis is hallucinating Geller then how did Dexter figure out that two different people committed the murders? One was meticulous and the other person hacked the guy to pieces that's how he guessed it was a duo. Unless he has multiple personalities and he isn't just hallucinating Geller.
it's exactly like fight club .. sometimes he's himself, sometimes he's Tyler Durden and sometimes he sees Tyler Durden ..
Exactly my thoughts it gotta be split personality
All I kept thinking when they found the girl and she kept shaking her head whenever they got near her was, "protect and serve" my a**
Call me crazy but for some reason I think the hand being sold on eBay is going to tie into the rest of the story. After all who was the one that purchased the hand from an Ice Truck Killer murder scene? Travis did just use Mannequin parts for the previous murder. If it doesn't tie in that way then I fail to see the purpose of that side-plot.
Interesting...

What if Travis bought it?

And what's with her always shaking her booty in front of Masuka? Was this think a whole plan all along? Seducing Masuka to get the parts for the final scene?

Could she be another of Gellar psychotic admirer, in it with Travis.

Is this some kind of Cult whom Gellar was the leader of and is now the "Ever Seeing Eye" in their mind?

Cultism is another facet of Faith, the theme of this season.
Do YOU think Travis and Gellar are the same person?

-Yes, the girl tied up in the kitchen don't look at Gellar one single time. She just look at Travis like he was an insane man, although he try to help her. that means she saw him tie her up and is afraid of him an what he will do to her. Well that's my opinion.

The two ways of killing pointe by Dexter can be explained by schyzoprenia (or multiple personality disorder), the calm Gellar, and the shy Travis

... Have we seen the last of Ryan?

- She talks about the others serial killers (trinity etc) . I think she just want to make money as she said, even though it's disapointing. But blackmail can come Masuka's way.

... Did you detect possible romantic sparks between Deb and the new detective?

- Yes, and I would find it boring, very boring.

... Do you completely trust Brother Sam yet?

- No, Dexter always ends up betrayed and alone.

Too soon to tell
YES! I thought that that was 100% the case in the scene where they were both in the cafe--only Travis was drinking coffee (or tea w/e) yet Gellar had nothing on his side. But that theory (not mine someone else mentioned on these comments last week) got shot to s*** when they showed a picture of him on his website. :( One could then make the case that then Gellar is the true self since he was photographed, but Travis has a sister they were eating dinner together. And there's no way that young girl would go out on a date with Gellar.
The picture on the website only means that Gellar was a real person at some point like Dexter's father was a real person at some point also. There are pictures of Dexter's dad at the Station. He probably have some at home also. It doesn't mean that he is not in his head now.

The question Price asked is a bit tricky, anyway. No one ever claimed that Gellar and Travis were the same person in the previous comments on this site. The suggestion was that Gellar was (now) existing in Travis' head like Dexter's father.
Yeah after posting that I read I read Roman's post right below. :)
its a good theory but if you watch the trailer of the next episode you will see that is not possible.

and the last question you asked i think you should ask also how long before hes onto debra?
unless that gellar is dead and is travis dark passenger like the father of dexter
Dexter's Dark Passenger is not is dad, it is his need to kill.

His dad keeps helping him, in his mind, to control THAT with rules, as he did when he was alive.
That would explain the website picture, if he was actually a real person and is now deceased!
Gellar is real. We all know it since that website picture. The question is : is Travis hallucinating when he (and we) sees him. If so, Gellar is either dead or alive, it doesn't matter ( It does if he is contacted by the police and join the investigation to catch Travis - that would be awesome).
what about the numbers? you didn't even mention them? 1237 and 1242 may be the number of days since gellar went missing as batista said he went missing over three years ago and 1242 days is 3.4 years?? dexter has a thing about cycles of killings like trinity did as he sees patterns in many of his victims kills, possible travis/gellar started their cycle 3.4 years ago with some event we havent seen yet and they believe the world will end when their cycle is complete, meaning they only have one cycle which they believe is gods will? may be dex's destiny to stop them before they complete the cycle thus stopping armageddon? ( whether it be real or not doesnt matter as this season is all about faith and belief?)
I, for one have debated against the concept that Gellar was only in Travis' head but after this episode I am almost sure. (98%). First because of the scene in the restaurant where the waitress doesn't even look at him. Besides, he has nothing in front of him which would beg for the waitress to ask if he wants anything, at least. (That's what happens in real life, anyway) She says "Hi" to Travis and ask him "Can I get you anything". Even the worst waitress would ask the other guy the same question or at least look at him with a pause for a nod or an answer.

But the main thing is when she's tied on the kitchen floor. She never looks (not even a peek) at Gellar. Just when he said "She's part of God's plan, now" would have made look at him with fright, if only a glance. And she didn't even pull herself away in disgust (or whatever) when Gellar "touched" her hair.

The 2%? Well, last week we saw Gellar paint the head of the mannequin.

So there are only two possible outcome:

1- The writers want us to believe that Gellar is in Travis' mind which would make the thing described above odd and more or less plausible and the whole thing a little cheap. OR

2- Travis is not only hallucinating but also suffers from multiple personalities (two, in this case) where he painted the head and tied the girl down as Gellar and doesn't remember it. That would also explain the discrepancies that Dexter noticed between the chopping of the body and the meticulousness of the horses scene. That would be very fiction because cases like that never have been observed. This also contribute to my 2% of doubt that they are "one".

Anyhow, if Gellar is an hallucination of Travis it would be interesting to see how they will develop that against Dexter's dynamic but I find it a little cheap also.

I always found Masuka a bit corny but that dumb? Unless the writers are getting sloppy this year or think that WE are dumb & dumber... It's not because someone put a winning bid on eBay, or whatever, that the thing is lost. She hasn't shipped it yet. Why did he act like that and, more over, didn't ask her to bring the thing back and return the money to the bider?

The angel scene was a new twist: animated murder. Not as complex as in "Saw" but cool.

But the scene that thrilled me the most as to what is coming this season is the last discussion between Dexter and Harry. That was the bond between all we've seen so far. Now, the show begins.

Harry: "Harrison's okay, and you did make that pact."

Dexter: "Come on, you don't really thing there's someone out there holding my IOU?"

Harry: "I don't know. But if there is, you better be ready to pay the Piper"
Nice analyze. Just one thing about Masuka. Maybe he looked annoyed about the winning bid because now someone is waiting for the piece and might make waves if she try to explain to him that she'll keep the piece. Winning the bid himself would have perhaps prevented to explain that delicate situation to of the actual buyer who will not be happy (serial killer fanatics, you know).
Are you pulling my leg again? :)
Just debating, dude. Although I agree, the hand is not lost.
Okay, then, why would Masuka care if the buyer makes waves? It's her problem not his. He could have her arrested for stealing evidence and send the cops to her house to pick up the arm. She would be in a lot more troubles than Masuka would.

Nah, I think he was thinking with his "ding-ding" more than his brain.

Still, eager to see where the writers will take us with this... I hope they don't think we're that dumb.
I could believe that Professor Gellar is only in Travis's head. It makes sense, but if he's real that's more interesting. Also, in the morgue Dexter figured out there was two killers because there were two different cuts, made by two different people. True, it could still all be Travis, but I really hope it's not because Professor Gellar is way too interesting not to be real.
maybe he's alive AND in travis's head? batista said gellar dropped off the grid three years ago, maybe he brainwashed travis to do his work for him while watching from a distance or because he was dying? we'll find out in few weeks as one of upcoming episodes is entitled "get gellar" i for one cant wait for that episode
One thing had me wondering.. When Dexter arrives at the horse crimescene he talks to Deb. Then he thinks to himself that this reminds him of his brother, the Ice Truck Killer and Deb says "You're brother? Don't you mean the Ice Truck Killer".. I've rewatched the scene and Dexter is not moving his mouth and he says it with his "inside-head-voice-over" so Deb can't have overheard him. Is my memory that bad that I can't remember Deb finding out about his connection to Mr Ice?

On another note.. They jury is still out on wether Geller is real or not. We know he at least did exist at one point, evidenced by the picture of him on the website. But it could very well be that he's dead and Travis is only imagining him. I do hope he's real though as Olmos is an insanely good actor and I want to see him and Hall duke it out with with their acting skills!
"I do hope he's real though as Olmos is an insanely good actor and I want to see him and Hall duke it out with with their acting skills!"

Yeah, that would be very neat indeed.
yeah your memory is that bad, in an episode of one of the previous seasons deb has her c.i. informant take her to the house of the woman harry was boinking (laura moser)-- only to realise it was the same house ice truck took her to at the end of season 1, at which point her c.i. tells her the woman had two sons=rudy and dexter moser, takes bout a second for deb to put it together after which she confronts dex who acts like he knows nothing and is as suprised as she was...
Now that you mention it I remember that. Especially the scene where she confronts Dexter outside the Trinity Killer's house. Right?
yep, bang on with the locale, last episode of season four i think...
I think Travis killed real Gellar and sees him in his denial.
Travis and Gellar are not the same person. Dexter himself came to the conclusion that there where 2 killers. "1 person cut up the body and another composed the crime scene."

They wouldn't have Dex come up with this just for him to be wrong about it.

And of course Geller hasn't spoken to anyone besides Travis. When you are "Off the grid" you don't go round talking to everyone. Thats why he has Travis.

It's a master-apprentice duo which is much more interesting than your ridiculous theory. And it's much more challenging for Dexter to go up against two rivals rather than one young schizo.

its not star wars dude, or gormagon from bones, travis may be suffering from multiple personality disorder in which case when he becomes his other personality he literally CANNOT recall what hes done and is a completely different person than his real identity, watch raising cain starring john lithgow and you'll get my drift. but you may be right gellar may be the master but that doesn't mean he's not dead? he may have brainwashed travis into becoming what he is now before dying or even making travis kill him to prove his faith and make travis experience a pychotic break?? if he is still alive how come the waitress says hello to travis and doesn't even look at gellar? if he was there it'd be her job to offer him coffee also????
Since the second/third episode up to now I still do think that Travis and Gellar are the same person, because Gellar does nothing, he just orders travis around. As for other people they interact with they dont even notice gellar at all. Not even the waitress, she goes to travis at one point if he needs anything else and she doesnt even turn to Gellar and say ''are you ok? do you want a glass of water?'' she just completely blanks him.

No matter how many times you say ''im ok, thanks'' they would still ask you ''are you ok?'' 10 minutes later as if you didnt even ask them.

As for the website of Gellar, I think Travis killed him at one point or he committed sucide and Travis witnessed it and now hes just imagining him still being alive and ordering him around kinda like Dex's dad or something.

Props to Mos Def for basically being the only rapper out of 20,012 that try acting and are actually good at it. I'm starting to think Gellar is in Travis's head. I need to go back and watch the scene to see if that waitress was looking to her left wondering who the hell he was talking to. I don't think we're done with Ryan either... I see potential blackmail coming soon. Hope Deb doesn't fall into another work romance... mix it up a bit writers. No I don't trust Brother Sam and I think the new guy might see through Dexter, we'll see after they interact some more.
I believe that the moving of the lips is for the viewers (like with Dexter) but they don't actually talk out loud. I don't know, but I don't think a girl would go home with a guy who talks to himself... Even in the kitchen she didn't turn her head to see who he was talking to.
... Do you completely trust Brother Sam yet?

Nah, not at all. But so far he is convincing and my resistance is dwindling :D

I don't like him, he seems obsessed with regulations, protocols ... can't like him until he gets a bit more relaxed. He also seemed displeased that the 2 stones guys had so much success at identifying a possible subject.
I find him quite arrogant.

Maybe he will be another Doakes.
Lets not forget something here Dexters Dark Passenger is his dad the one person who really knows about who Dexter really is and the one person he really trusted. This could be the same thing for Travis in the same with the Professor who could have been his mentor. Who knows really but one things for sure we will find out eventually.
His Dark Passenger is his urge to kill, his dad is more like his warped version of a conscious.
except dex knows his father is dead and by the looks of it travis doesn't believe gellar is dead? maybe travis killed gellar himself and his visions of gellar are a manifestation of his guilt and denial, if so he becomes gellar when needed to carry on his fantasy that gellar is alive and well and remembers nothing after?
I am definitely enjoying Brother Sam. The scene with him and Dexter in the waiting room had me riveted. It's amazing how Dexter's character is evolving. I feel like Brother Sam will have a big role to play in taking down the Doomsday Killer.

I definitely think Ryan's character will return. Her fascination with serial killers may turn out to be an interesting storyline. I think there's definitely more there!
Damn it, now i think about it, It really does sound plausible that the professor is only a figment of this guy's imagination. You never see anyone laying eyes on him. Damn it, i wish i hadn't read your review. That would've been such a delicious surprise for me in the course of it and now it's ruined. Damn it.
Well dont worry i had 10 versions how Dexter 5th season could end and all my versions was great thrilling interesting at least for me but guess how it ended ? Non of my fantasy versions was there ! So you still have hope but i hope that they will not ruin something cool again.
This was a great episode! Gellar could be a figment of Travis's mind, or they could just be throwing us off for now. Ryan may have been a fly by character, yet may return in a larger story arc. Deb and the new detective definitely have chemistry. Brother Sam may know more than he lets on, and he may be good or still bad. I wonder who will be onto Dexter if not the new detective. It would be a shame to lose him though.
He is NOT imagining the Professor they are TWO different people!!! Case and point when the black cop pulls up the Professors website off google his picture is on the banner of the page!!! How can they imagine an actual picture of the Professor? Travis isn't imagining him...
or it could be they were two people at one point.
Harris also was a real person... but now, he is only on Dexter's mind.
The fact that the dude exists does not prevent Travis to be a mentally ill person who has developed chronic hallucination about someone he worships. We don't know enough to be categoric right now. Maybe Gellar exist as we know him. Maybe he is dead somewhere because Travis killed him and therefore imagining him. Maybe he's alive and living somewhere without knowing that a crazy guy is having hallucination of him. We just don't know.
I think it would be cool if Gellar was in Travis' head. It would almost make him a foil of Harry.
Great episode, this season has a ton of potential.

- I don't think they are the same person, or at least I hope not.

- I heard that Ryan is booked for 7 episodes this season and there is a "shocker" in ep 6 so maybe the shocker involves her? There could be more to her then we saw or maybe she becomes a vitctim of Travis and Gellar.

- Deb and the new detective could hook up but I hope not, romances tend to just feel out of place on Dexter

- I do trust Brother Sam but he could very well be out-doing Dexter at his own game. Brother Sam could be suspicious of Dexter, I mean Dexter was snooping around his shop and he's been around the shop a lot.

- This guy seems like a new Doakes, which is good, but I don't want a carbon copy of his character. Quinn just backed off Dexter, do they really need another Detective on his case?
I'm sure the writers have seen Fight Club, and they know we're not stupid. Would they want to that similar to it? Travis woke to find the waitress tied up... so at this point I'm going to put my faith in the writers and say that Eddy Jimmy Olmos is not in Travis' head.
This episode is awesome...
Brother Sam and Dexter remind my of Pembleton and Bayliss from Homocide-Life on the Street back in the day. The Dialogue is so thought provoking, justifiable to the story. So many parallels between Dexter and Sam. Lieutenant Deb, Angel and Quinn enjoy a Bro moment, and Vince getting played! Love this season, strong return from last year.
I liked this ep. The season is taking off, that's for sure. Even though, I always defended the slow start, I always said that it was important to get to the core of the story to get an great season. I would rather have liked that this ep was the third and not the fourth (was the retirement lesson of last week really relevant ?) but we still have enough time to witness great stuff.

The subplots don't annoy me that much. Debra's storyline is still relevant and the new detective is for sure charismatic and useful. As for the Ryan&Masuka story, I liked that we get a glimpse of a serious Masuka and not the puerile individual that he usually is. I hope as well that this subplot evolves because we got two references so far to the Ice truck Killer this season and I don't think it's innocent. I did not really understand the weed moment between Quinn and Batista though.

Of course, we have that terrible suspicion of the non-physical existence of Gellar. I'm uncomfortable with this idea. On one hand, I'm a bit angry to suspect it that way (on this site) because I would have never suspect it on my own : so it's quite a spoiler. On the other hand, I'm glad to have the chance to watch the ep with that knowing in mind and therefore making me analyze every frame. I'm still not one hundred percent convinced but the cafe scene made me wonder : the gal offers coffee to travis but won't even look to his friend... weird. But is the guy so crazy that he doesn't remember tying the girl he just honored ?

I can't help but think that this heavy subject that is faith is perfectly timed with Dexter's background. After Rita's death and all that he has experienced about his secret life, Dexter is more than ever sensible to the idea of faith even though he seemed quite naive about it in the pilot (at the school). Those conversations with Brother Sam are like any conversation that he had with all the important people of the previous seasons : Dexter is growing up. The depth of those conversations has always been the backbone of the show because they are the reason that Dexter is having his perpetual introspection.

This season is definitely on. Next week seems pretty solid too.
"But is the guy so crazy that he doesn't remember tying the girl he just honored ? "

Reading @naduzita, I feel like I should keep an eye out because I think I was one of the first people (maybe not THE first, who can remember?) who suggested Travis and Gellar are the same person. I was actually dead certain they were until a couple of things didn't quite make sense this last episode (like Gellar's past existence at the university). That being said, I still think they are the same person, though I hope there's a good explanation for why it's exactly Gellar who appears to Travis. I don't think it's *TOO* "Fight Club". I see "Fight Club" as an insomniac who felt the need for more in his life, feels needy of a purpose and makes one for himself. I think of this more like "Fight Club" meets "Se7en" where Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey are played by Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks where delusion and darkness of mind set in and lead down a darker and darker path.

I hope Ryan returns, and that she is more interested in the past serial killers, and that this hand thing was really just a money need. I'd like to see some more pressure from that side.

I felt that there was, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being complete indifference, 10 being full on heat, a 2.1 amount of attraction between Deb and the Chicago transplant. Not enough to really even be noticeable to either, but enough under the surface that if they start flirting with each other next episode I wouldn't be surprised, though I will be disappointed. I'd like Deb to have an actual professional relationship with this guy for a change.

I LOVE Brother Sam!! And I will sign your petition for Emmy nod in his direction. Mos is making it work, and doing it well.

I hope that Chicago transplant doesn't get onto Dexter on his own. I hope that it's something that happens at like the end of this season, maybe with Ryan in there somewhere and leads for an interesting 7th season. But that's just me.
yes they're the same person

ryan, most likely

hell no...i would hate that

yes i love brother sam and trust him with my life

next season
I can't really make up my mind whether or not I like the idea of Gellar and Travis being the same person. On one side, it does feel like they hinted a bit at it, with the difference in ways the two of them supposedly handle their victims, but at the same time, I feel it would be weird for Travis to imagine Gellar exactly, seeing as we know he is a real person who possibly did steal the murder weapon. Of course, all of that could be explained away with Travis and Gellar having known each other in real life to some degree (student?), followed by Travis stealing the weapon, and Gellar getting blamed for it, and Travis then starting to imagine Gellar telling him to do the stuff we've seen done so far in this season.
I hope Travis and Gellar aren't the same person, because that's just too Fight Club.

Besides, Professor Gellar is a real person in Dexter, isn't it sort of a stretch to say, "Oh yeah, the real Professor Gellar is dead, but Travis has had a psychotic break and is having hallucinations of Gellar nonetheless?" They really gain nothing from that. Besides, I really think it would be a great scene for Dexter to talk with Professor Gellar about religion.

It is traditional for Dexter to have a supporting actor nominated for an Emmy (Jimmy Smits, John Lithgow, Julia Stiles), and Mos Def is fantastic so far.

I actually prefer the way Ryan's plot is turning out. It would be messy (and require awkward reworking of the the previously established backstory) to fit her in as a relative of Ice Truck Killer. There are people who collect serial killer memorabilia, and there are those who sell it. She won't be simply discarded as a character, especially since she hasn't actually been fired yet. Masuka berated her and is going to keep close watch on her, but he doesn't want anyone to find out that he fucked up, so he didn't say anything.

Of course Chicago cop is going to suspect Dexter-give it another episode or two. Of course Deb is going to get a new fuck-buddy, but I don't think it'll be him. And, I do trust Brother Sam.
imo the conversations between brother Sam and Dexter is rather boring and i hope Sam goes away or dies soon...
I hope Travis and Gellar aren't the same person because in that case i would fly to the USA and hunt down the commenter that suggested that. Ever since I red it on the "best comments" article I couldn't forget about it. I hate spoilers.

The episode was great.