Dexter Will Probably End in 2013, Weeds May Conclude This Summer

Today was Showtime's turn before the same Television Critics Association crowd that eviscerated Michael Patrick King yesterday over charges that 2 Broke Girls trades in crude racial stereotypes. This time around, the critics wanted to know from Showtime head David Nevins what Dexter plans on doing with the disturbing, incest-lite premise introduced at the end of its sixth season.

"Yeah, I'm aware that there's a certain taboo despite the fact that they're not genetically related," Nevins said. "It's something that has been building for a number of years, I think. It's an idea that's informed how they've done the show for a long time." He promised that like it or not, the storyline continues next season.

As for the longer outlook, Nevins said Season 8 “is the likely endpoint” for Dexter, but was “open” to even more. A classic Hollywood executive answer—cover all your bases.

As for news on the network’s other series, three of its bigger hits—Nurse Jackie, The Big C, and The Borgias—now have premiere dates; they'll all return on Sunday, April 8, for a triple-block of original programming. This will be the fourth season for the Edie Falco medical show, the third for the Laura Linney cancer drama, and the second for the soapy take on Italy’s most notorious Renaissance dynasty.

Finally, critically acclaimed drama Homeland will likely return for Season 2 in the fall, and Episodes will be a priority this summer... which may also mark long-running dramedy Weeds' last season. Nevins didn't really discuss plans for the show beyond the forthcoming Season 8, saying it's "not definitely" the last season, but it's a "real possibility."

Additional reporting by Louis Peitzman—check out his Twitter feed for more quotes from today's TCA sessions!

Okay: Deb and Dexter together is not incest. It's only creepy and "incestuous" in our minds because people who even grow up as brother and sister (still not biologically brother and sister) is seen that way. If Dexter and Deb were to have a romantic relationship, that would not be classified as incest at all. It would be incest as much as second cousins being together (read: legal) is incest--oh wait, no it isn't, because Deb and Dexter are not related in any way, shape or form. Only by childhood upbringings.

Okay, after that rant, I am only defending that point on technicality, not because I want them together--because I don't. It is creepy. But it's only creepy again, in the sense that we've always seen them as siblings and no underlying hint at a sexual/romantic pairing.

However, for the purposes of the story--I think this was needed. The only reason I say this is because Deb would have been conflicted over the (SPOILER ALERT) revelation that her brother is a serial killer. I have not read the books and (SPOILER ALERT) I have been told that Deb knows about Dexter early-ish on, and therefore do not know how this matter was handled in the books. However, I believe that for the show's purposes, by giving Deb at this particular moment these thoughts that are conflicting her in an earth shattering way, the revelation of Dexter being a killer will only delve us into Deb's psyche even further than we've seen before. I'm all for character development, and whether sick, twisted or sad: development is still a step away from staleness.
Almost good news all around. I hate that we will see more of the incest story line next season. None of the kill room scenes have made me squirm as much as that fantasy scene. Also, Weeds and Homeland!
Way to go Showtime. Uh we have all these shows and they might end sometime or then again might not. And I think most of us that had issues with the Dexter incest story really objected to the dreadful writing last season more than anything. The incest plot was handled so clumsily and unbelievably that we can't accept it within the reality of the Dexter-verse. Y'know Deb dumps Quinn, Deb gets a shrink that recklessly plants fringe ideas in her head, Deb decides that she 'falls for unavailable men' and 'sabotages relationships' (yawn! that is right up there for the lazy and overused cliches), Deb has a REALLY CREEPY dream about Dexter acting like a sleazy womaniser, and voila she's smitten. The writers just didn't care enough to have them grow closer and more intimate and come to a mutual understanding about their feelings - I think we all would have applauded that scenario.
uh, I think its not incest of the people do not share ANY DNA and are really unrelated biologically!!!!! but is sounds good in print!

And 2 BG suck! for many other reasons!!!! Same goes for nurse jackie, but she is so, oh funny in this comedy!!!!!!!

If you ever watched Nurse Jackie you would know it does anything but suck.
I'm sure Homeland will have a great second season, but hopefully won't become stale, and Dexter just needs to end. I'm sure Weeds is overdoing it even more from what I've heard, but I don't watch it so I can't say much. If Showtime keeps this up, it will be known as that premium cable channel that milk it's best shows to death. Sure other channels do that, but Showtime is the most noticable at the moment.
Showtime is the premium cable channel usually synonymous with cancelling shows before their prime. Weeds and Dexter are just their cash cows. They have a following that's worth the effort (read: money) to continue giving more. I'm a fan of both, and I'll keep watching both. (read: spending money for DVDs, Showtime service).
I am well aware that Dexter and Weeds are cash cows for Showtime, I was just stating the obvious. You are probably right about Showtime cancelling shows before their prime, but I wonder how good some of those shows were to begin with. It's obvious these shows still exist because they create money for great new shows like Homeland, but it also doesn't change the fact that they are way past their prime, and aren't what they used to be. I, like you, am still a Dexter fan, and will keep watching until the end and have faith that it can pull off two more good seasons, but hopefully that's it.

SO MUCH F***ING AMBIGUITY!!!
While I reserve hope that Dexter can be brought back to its former glory, I must say, the news that they'll continue with the incest story line is making it difficult for me.

It's not that I have a problem with incest on TV (Game of Thrones, ftw). It's that Dexter isn't doing it well. It did not ever feel like they were leading up to this, at any point. In fact, it felt more like a last ditch attempt to keep viewers interested through shock value.

If Deb had temporarily thought she felt that way about her brother, because her shrink kept telling her she did-that's reasonable. But that wasn't the case-the whole thing felt very forced to me.
I wish you'd all stop referring to it as incest. It's NOT incest. They are not blood related, so if they "got it on", it would be the same as any two non-related people. Sure, they grew up as brother and sister, but blood related is incest. This is not.