Did Project Runway Get it Right?

Season 8 of Project Runway ended last night with kooky Mondo, holier-than-thou Gretchen, and cool as a cucumber Andy showing their collections at Fashion Week. Though the show constantly flirted with Gretchen being the sanctimonious villain, there were no designer fights for the finale, so we were left with three basically good people competing. Which meant that the real drama came from *gasp* the clothes!

In between the constant confessions of how much they all "need this", we were treated to a new segment of Project Runway: the in-show reunion. Everyone was brought back to talk about how the season went for them, and Gretchen was called out for being two-faced about all the designers. She tried, in her classic pious, lump-in-throat fashion, to invoke the "When a woman is honest, she's considered a bitch" excuse, which was shut down with an eye roll by the real villain of the show, Ivy.

God bless Ivy. I wish they would have left the camera on her the entire time to let her spew her delusions. That woman was made for TV.

And onto the fashion show! Much vitriol has been slung around about the fact that Jessica Simpson was a guest judge, but may I say something? Her dresses are adorable and affordable and she has a pretty successful line. So there, haters. Gretchen's collection, Running Through Thunder (aaaahhem), was an exercise in brown panties and blousy safari gear. Andy had a collection that was lovely and green and gray but didn't look much like the BDSM warrior princess designer I'd learned to love. I'm glad he stayed insistent on the solar system hats though. Mondo, looking like a dapper Buddy Holly, gave us the quote of the night--"My fashion is my dream world"--before showing a collection that didn't look half as polished and grown up as I expected. Or maybe it's that Mondo, like deep fried Twinkies, is something you're only supposed to experience in small doses. OMYGOSH Jay Manuel from America's Next Top Model was at the show! My brain is collapsing!

Ok, sorry. Onto judging. Finally, we have an actual debate! Usually you can tell that Nina, Michael and Heidi are trying to throw us a red herring by pretending to love or pretending to hate someone just to add drama to the fact that there's usually an obvious winner, but not this time. Andy was quickly thrown to the side as they argued Mondo vs. Gretchen. Which brings us to the second best quote of the night: Michael Kors telling Heidi Klum to "You wiggle into that puppy and you walk out there!" referring to Mondo's polka dot dress. Alas, a decision was finally reached, and it was announced that

*SPOILER ALERT*
Gretchen won Season 8 of Project Runway.

Mondo, I'm sure you'll have your own reality show within the hour, so keep your head up, keep designing, and keep up that pompadour.

What did you think of the finale last night? Did the best designer win? Tell us!

I was extremely disappointed with the choice of the panel. What did they see in that homely retro 70's hippy stlye of Gretchen's. Mondo and Michael C has style and imagination and with that going for them, they have something to work with and to improve upon. What does Gretchen have, jewerly, and ugly jewerly at that. I don't care if she did design it.
I honestly never got what enyone saw in Gretchen. Heidi was always going on about how "Now" she is, but all I saw was retread 70s hippies stuff. Sometimes retro is in, but I just never saw it. It definitely never had any "wow". Mondo was the definition of kooky, but he made it work. Andy was my favorite designer of the three going into it, but his collection was not my favorite. I would have given the win to Mondo, with Andy in second place. Gretchen has her niche, as they all do, and of the three, I could more likely see myself wearing her stuff than the others, cause I was around in the 70s.:P But do I think that makes her Fashion's next big thing? Meh.
For those of you who wanted to see Michael C's collection, just check out the Project Rungay blog and you'll see - it wasn't that great. Love the guy but was disappointed in his collection too overall. I've never liked Gretchen's "style". Backless shirts and granny panties are not my forte either. Mondo should have won but that would have been too obvious. They chose a winner based solely on the fact that everyone would be talking about it. That's what makes me angry. If this was about choosing the best designer, Mondo would have won!
I'm going to say a big enthusiastic NOPE! The best designer didn't win. I didn't like anything Gretchen made this season of Project Runway. I thought her designs were very umm old fashioned and a little on the Little House on the Praire-ish.
The only reason Mondo lost and Gretchen won was because Gretchen listened to the judges and Mondo wouldn't compromise. He didn't rip the sleeves off the circus dress to show more skin. Because Gretchen changed her styling like the judges told her, her pablum won. So sad.
I think they got it right but I would have really liked to see Michael C's collection, Andy had some really pretty looks, I wish them all well.
Hell no, the best designer didn't win because the pompous balding judge who dressed Jessica Simpson in that "fat arm" dress got his way. Gretchen's 'stuff' lacked inspiration. Mondo is only inspiration. Like picking up a new catalog and wanting everything on every page. He will succeed and she won't be heard from the pages of JCP or Spiegel ever again. Yeay!!!! Kors designs for old ladies w/old lady colors and Michael C's line was beautifully monochromatic. He'll go places when the dust settles. Heidi has such a snotty attitude I would have thought she and jessica would have gotten their way.
yeah, they got it right. gretchen's clothes are easy to wear, cool, relaxed, aiming for the majority of people
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! They DID NOT get it right!!!!!!!! R U kidding me!!!!!!
I love Mondo, although I never thought I would say that about crazy prints or a polkadot dress (which I adored, by the way). Gretchen is a fairly good designer, but her runway show was made of only three different cloths. It didn't make me feel all "inspired" like the crazy thing Mondo does (although I was disappointed at all their collections, I would have wanted Andy to do something more like the warrior woman and I definitely would have voted for him to win). But I do have to say that Gretchen was in the worst position of the three - Mondo will get his own line like that, and Andy is only 23. So based on personal lives, I do think Gretchen deserved to win.
andy just had a plain old simple grey-silver and green tapestry walk the runway... mondo should def have edited those hat things from his look and gretchen was going on a safari expedition... times like these that i miss Michael C.
Mondo has a rare gift of mixing prints in a crazy new way that are memorable and wearable. He should have won. Gretchen did a great job - but I really can't remember what walked down the runway. I liked all of the designers in the end - but I wish Michael C. was in the finale - I think his line would have been more interesting than a couple of the others.
I don\'t understand how they can criticise Michael Costello for doing everything in one colour when both Gretchen and andy did pretty much the same thing.

And if Nina Garcia can\'t see how utterly fabulous the polka dot dress is then it is time to retire because she has lost her sense of what is fabulous. and Michael Kors needs to retire to wherever it is that aging drag queen **** go at the end of their lives.

I would have preferred Mondo to win but I appreciate that Gretchen is aiming for people who actually buy clothes rather than hollywood starlets. and what a HUGE relief to see a designer who doesn\'t put all her models in sky high heels. I never wear heels - they are vile. If she used colours other than brown I might be more inclined to wear her clothes.

I would also have liked to see somebody smack Ivy in the face. She should have had the grace to apologise Michael C.
Cancel the show. Total B.S. No woman in her right mind, outside of a commune, would wear that hideous mess.
Did they get it right? NO. Gretchen's collection was boring. I liked some of Andy's pieces and some of Mondo's. Gretchen's was my least favorite.
I liked Mondo as a person and I liked his designs. Out of the three showing a collection, Gretchen would've been my last pick to win based on personality BUT I actually liked more of her collection than the other two contestants' offerings. Andy's was lacking something and I think it had to do with it being all the same two colours.
Mondo I liked some of his but other pieces I hated and in reality I wouldn't wear a quarter of what was shown.
I hate seeing stupid things walking down a runway no one will ever wear so I liked Gretchen's collection but I still think she has an attitude problem and has to learn to stop crossing her arms.
I was also expecting much cattyness at the reunion especially between Michael C and Ivy but alas there was none!
I was pulling for Mondo.
HORRIBLE outcome for Project Runway's finale last night. This show has definitely "jumped the shark" and their poor decision for the winner is case-in-point. The designers that have been chosen for this show, in general, have been lack luster compared to the first few seasons. One word for Gretchen's clothing line: BLECH!
No they didn't get it right, all they did was add more ugly, baggy clothes to a whole host of ugly baggy clothes already out there. In the 8 seasons on air, they've gotten it right maybe 3 times
Project Runway should be in the walk of shame supporting who ACUALLY won.

Remeber the so called "diaper" Gretchen RIPPED OFF from April?.........AND............the cut out shoulder? Those were not her designs.

I have contacted ya'll 2 x only because the integrity this year has been 0.It has been because of Your SO CALLED WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!

The REAL winners are the truly talented Mondo and maybe 2-3 years, Andy. Gretchen's off the rack S. Bronx look will be gone in 2 years...time her.

A mature professial x 20 yrs. with BSN,CCRNI
Gretchen's line looked boring and ugly. If Mondo's collection had been a bit stronger there's no way she would have won.
>:( gretchen is an imitator and nothing more. mondo should have won he is waaaaaay more original