Did The CW Just Cancel Life Unexpected?

There aren't many stories on television right now that are better than Life Unexpected. It's the "little show that could," the heart-warming drama that has no business being on the air in this age of slutty teen shows, reality garbage, and attempts at cashing in on whatever the networks think is cool.

Sadly, it looks as though the fairy tale is closing without the happy ending. The CW has decided not to order the back nine episodes of Life Unexpected, meaning its 13 scheduled episodes are all that will air this season. The network has not made a final decision on the series, so there's still hope that it could return next year.

Life Unexpected dodged a bullet last season when the CW did what I'll call a "faith pickup," renewing the show for a new season even though the numbers didn't really warrant it. The brass is high on the show, but the program wasn't able to hold onto a large audience.

Last month, the CW gave out full-season pickups for all its new shows and One Tree Hill, leaving Life Unexpected as the only CW series not to earn a back nine. Today, the network made the 13-episode season official.

If I had to take a guess on the show's future, I'd say fans better prepare for a series finale this season.

Do you think Life Unexpected got a fair shake?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Jan 13, 2016
I really the CW brings back Life Unexpected so that it can come back on Netflix I am in love with this show and 2 seasons are just not enough! I really don't understand why you would have a show with only 2 seasons! If CW was smart they'd continue with the show! This show is actually appropriate to watch unlike whats usually on! Please come continue or come back with this show!!

P.S. A very big fan of the CW channel and Life Unexpected!!
Jun 07, 2015
PLEASE bring back Life Unexpected!!!!! I watched the whole 2 seasons in literally 2 days on Nextflix. I think that Lux and Eric should be together because everything that happened between them happened for a reason. If you bring back this show, you will make so many teens happy with an appropriate show that still relates to real life. Pretty Please do not let us beg you any more!!!!
May 11, 2015
I was addicted to Life Unexpected. CW should put it back on! The 2 year gap needs to be explained. Some comments do point out great questions. Even though it may not happen, I just hope someone important does see this article/web page and sees how much people love the show.
Jan 20, 2015
Please Bring Life Unexpected Back It's Everything That's Happening To Teens Now In Days. This Show Has Changed The Way I Look At Life, That Not Everything Is Perfect, And Your Never Alone.This Show Has Really Changed My Life & I Still Need Some Closure Like How Did Jones and Lux End Up Together, How Did Baze And Cate End Up Together, What About Math, Jaimie, What Happened With Tasha, What About Closure With Cate And Ryan And Their Radio Show, And Ryan Now That He Has The Family He Always Wanted, Did Baze And His Dad Ever Come To An Agreement On Anything Including The Bar, Did Baze Ever Buy A New House. I Have Plenty More Questions I Just Need Closure To What Happen & Life Unexpected Didn't Het A Fair Shake They Ended It Very Terrible The Should Have Let Them Go On So They Could End In A Good Way
Oct 31, 2014

I'll never stop stalking the CW till they punt the serie back on TV, because life unexpected is the only thing i love and the only thing i like, i can't live without it.
Oct 31, 2014
PLEASE BRING LIFE UNEXPECTED BACK!!! I need this in my life, it's the only serie i love!! This is unfair!! I have so many questions about the serie, i think everybody does. I mean, are Eric (mr.Daniels) and Lux ever going to be back together? How did cate and Baze get together? What happend with Emma and with Ryan?? And a few more! The serie just started and you already quit, you give up on the serie than a lot of people love. Nobody can do this, this is unacceptable, i loved this serie, this serie spoke to my heart. I don't want it to stop, never. When do we know if this AMAZING serie is starting again, because WE DESERVE ANSWERS, and more episodes!!! Don't blow this thing up. Don't do that. I NEED LIFE UNEXPECTED, OKAY? i loved it in several ways, i never liked a serie this much. PLEASE LET IT COME BACK!! PLEASE. I'll pray for life unexpected to come back on TV because i miss it. you took away my love on a serie, it's like you took away my child or something (that would be weird, since i'm only 15 years...) I'm btw from Holland, so the serie is known in the VS and Europe, and if that is not enough to keep going with this amazing serie, them i'm hopelessly lost. I'm not even kidding. This is not just a little thing were talking about. GIVE US OUR SERIE BACK!
Jul 14, 2014
I wish that cw would bring back life unexpected I just finished season 2 for the 2nd time and I'm even more heart broken than before I just with that they would bring in back i mean everyone loves the show that I know I got all of my friends hooked on it and there going to be heart broken about the show ending my friends are blowing up my phone and asking if they are going to make anymore episodes .i hope they do
Feb 25, 2014
This show is amazing. I watched it on netflix and if CW would bring it back I would watch it on the actual tv. I have so many questions and would love answers to what happened in the 2 year gap. I think they should bring this show back. Every show I like from this station they cancel. It is complete crap that they do this EVERYTIME!
Jan 12, 2014
Please bring this show back...I just watched the entire series on netflix and still need some closure like how did Jones and Lux end up together, how did Baze and Cate end up together, what about Math, Jaimie, what happened with Tasha, what about closure with Cate and Ryan and their radio show, and Ryan now that he has the family he always wanted, did Baze and his dad ever come to an agreement on anything including the bar, did Baze ever buy a new house...I could keel going but it would be too many questions. Even if they could come back for like at least 1 more season they could totally end this show the right way.

I absolutely hate that CW cancels all the good shows I mean every time I get into a new one its over before it really starts...please come back and fill in the 2+ years of gaps you left us with we really need it!
Aug 23, 2012
and this is not a fair share, there's more questions that I'm sure everyone's wondering about, and then just to cut it off. I'm sure everyone wants this show to come back!
Aug 23, 2012
I really think that they should out this show back on. it's everything that's happening to teens now. This show has changed the way I look at life, that not everything is perfect, and your never alone. this show has changed my life, and yeah I may be a war late, but I have spent the last couple days watching both sessions, and I want more! take this from a teen. Put it back on!
Sep 21, 2011
at the begening were it said something about how it has no bussnuis being on har because of thos reasons...most of cw or actually any show practicly now a days are just alike there all just like that!!!
Sep 21, 2011
i loved that show..man it doesnt need to go it needs to stay...so no i dont think it got a fair shake....
Aug 13, 2011
I mean look at Teen Mom and One Tree Hill. I love those shows but they didn't have to ruin teen lives just because they wanted a story. As for One tree Hill everyone was like are they going to make another one? Same with True Blood!

Believe in the shows YOU LOVE...
Aug 13, 2011
Everyone that loves this show please write it down. When more are in number they are likely to happen! Maybe someone important will see this.

Say It With Me: "Life Unexpected Shall not go Off"
Apr 26, 2011
i hate the CW they always cancel shows that i love i feel like they never let a show built up a fan base. the network seems like it always ready to move on to a new show then they axe it first season! i mean melrose place i loved it and had a lot of friends that loved it i think the network just up and canceled that show i think it had the ratings. i can't keep watching the cw because all they do is cancel great shows!! HINT(one tree hill WAS a good show like years ago ) I used to watch it and so did a lot of my friends but that show has seen better days but yet they keep it around you cant tell me melrose place had less ratings than one tree hill !! come on CW
Jan 19, 2011
Well looks like these idiots in tv have cancelled another great show.. what is up with all these crap reality shows getting picked up and good shows like this get cancelled, really sick of this another station that does this alot also is NBC, they are also good for cancelling great shows, then they all want to know why they are not on top and beating out other stations.. well CW and NBC here is a clue for you (YOU CANCEL ALL THE GOOD SHOWS!!) SO DOES THAT NOW ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ON NUMBERS UGGGHHH....
Jan 18, 2011
no i don't think Life Unexpected got a fair shake!!!! this is one of the shows i watch every week. gahhhhhhh
Dec 05, 2010
NO life unexpected stays!!!!
Nov 10, 2010
So stupid.
It's a great different show.
Don't get me wrong, i still love many of the other sluttier and cliches shows, but this is a show full of possibilities! and a wave of fresh air fron all the other rich-people-shallow- problems crap
Nov 08, 2010
They better keep it. I hate the slutty show like Gossip Girl. You would think the way 7th Heaven lasted they keep Life Unexpected around.
Nov 07, 2010
I love this show please don't cancel it.
Nov 06, 2010
:( I really love this show
Nov 05, 2010
it is heartwarming because the actors are able to transport all the love and the fears that motivate their crazy actions in all this madness.
of course they fight all the time - real families fight a lot, because people are to similar or to different (and everyone expects them to be similar).
the fact that the people you love most and you spend most of your time with are the few people in your life you cannot choose is what makes families absolutely insane. and there's no show on TV which makes that as apparent as life unexpected does.
Nov 05, 2010
@romasticblossom no, that won't happen, on a interview with the creator it was said that if it ends with those 13 episodes on season 2 it won't have the ending it should/it's planned because there's no time to wrap it up nicely, so they will just have to do something else.
Nov 05, 2010
That's too bad. I enjoy this show. The only other show I watch on the cw is Supernatural. So when those two shows end I won't be watching the cw at all
Nov 05, 2010
How is it "heartwarming"? All they do is yell at each other. This show is terrible and it sullies the good name of Portland. Goodbye!
Nov 04, 2010
Why am i even surprised? :(
Nov 04, 2010
awww I don't know if this is fair or not! I just LOVE this show, is so heartwarming and its plot is unusual, on a good way.

But, I really think it should end in this season, or it might change its way in order to get audience. Than, their cozy plot will be less cozy and well... more dramatic. i don't think I want to see Life Unexpected turning into that.

So, if the end of this season is the REAL end of this show then, okay.

If it's just one episode that was supposed to be in the middle and doesn't end anything then no.

This show desearves an also heartwarming closure and not a sudden stop ;D
Nov 04, 2010
I loved the show in the beginning but it started to get stale for me. It seemed like all the story lines were about Lux and her parents having a fall out and Lux beginning to act like a brat. She holds what happens against her parents I got that in the first show. You don't have to keep going over it again and again. I also got that the parents don't know how to be parents OK but it is all becoming boring, Sorry but the show needs spice.
I enjoy the show
Nov 04, 2010
Great show, but with all the changes we've seen this season it's obvious The CW is not confident in the show. This show has Fox and ABC potential and in my book it's the best that the CW has to offer. I hope they don't make the same mistake they made here with Reaper.
Nov 04, 2010
It might not be the it-show, or even the show I would choose to see first on a very long list of good shows, but it truly is a heartwarming show and I cant help but feel good when I watch it. I would hate to say goodbye to Baze, Lux and Cate, especially considering what else is on schedule..
Nov 04, 2010
It's still to early to tell...it deserves at least a full season to really get into the story arc...it really is a great show though and I would be sad to see it go!!!
Nov 04, 2010
The show was very repetitive with the storyline and after a while Cate was really annoying. I liked the "foster child Lux" approach, but they got side tracked and focused too much on relationships, rather than just having the story speak for itself. The characters needed more dept along with believable connections. I would miss it however, such a short-lived series!
Nov 04, 2010
very sad news. just goes to show... if a show doesnt fit a certain formula... it won't be around for long.
noooooooooo! :(
Good Riddance
Nov 04, 2010
I watch this show, and appreciate the characters, however, the story lines are FAR to predictable to produce any longevity for this show. I am not at all surprised at it's demise.
come on CW keep it on
Nov 04, 2010
They should keep, but keep the seasons confined to 13 episodes... making it more important to focus of the story.
noooooooooooooooooooo LUX is amazing =[
Nov 04, 2010
Nooo. I love this show. It's better, feel more real and got waaay more heart than all the other CW shows... I stopped watching OTH a couple of seasons ago.
Nov 03, 2010
Its depressing if this show gets cancelled. I think the addition of Emma Caulfield this season has been awesome for the development of Baze's character and it would be a shame if they can expand on that story arc further
Nov 03, 2010
this makes me really sad, i was just starting to get into it and honestly it's an awesome show with a very cool cast, there's not many like this out there. specially cw shows, it's all pretty much the same thing with slight variations.
Nov 03, 2010
It's sad but I rather have OTH still on the air to give that show a proper last 8th season, instead of LUX. Plus, from what I did read, is that the writers already considered the 13th episode of the second season as the series finale, so there wont be an open ending. Sad that a family show gets cancelled on the CW, but I am glad OTH survived the bullet once again.
Nov 03, 2010
Are you freaking kidding me...The CW has to bring LUX back next season...I can't believe they not even getting a full season 2...What is up american networks...They need to get rid of the executives in their ivory towers and leave the good shows on tv!!!...
Nov 03, 2010
the show has it lame moments like most shows, but i like it. I agree that they should cancel One Tree Hill (and Top Model).. it shouldn't have even stayed around past it's pilot let alone the original 13 episodes. Smallville will be gone next year, so maybe LU will come back. also. RATINGS ARE NOT 100% TRUE OR ELSE 100% OF AMERICAN RESIDENTS WOULD BE PART OF IT
Nov 03, 2010
'Cancel One Tree Hill! Its HIGH time it met its end! Don't cancel Life Unexpected!!! Its the ONLY good thing with ANY substance on the CW & tv itself!!!'
Amen to that! Im over One Tree Hill and have been for about four years now. DO NOT GET RID OF LUX!! I love it! If the CW gets rid of it, they have not only lost the last little piece of respect I had for them but also a viewer of most of their shows. SAVE LUX!
Nov 03, 2010
I love this show don't get rid of it. Got some good stuff going on. Just love the storyline with Lux and Daniel the teacher I want to know where that goes. Honestly this show is alot better then half the other shows on. All i watch is this and 90210 and OTh.
Load More Comments