Did V's Finale Save the Series?

ABC's V has been struggling ever since its first episode. A product of remake-happy executives, V instantly jogged our memories back to a time when Marc Singer ran around in cheesy sci-fi uniforms blasting lizards with his ray gun. But let's be honest here: The remake never lived up to our unfair expectations, failing to take advantage of a solid cast and high-tech effects.

So imagine my surprise when I found myself giddy with delight over "Mother's Day," the series finale (yes, series, let's not kid ourselves!) of V, which aired last night. With the show's fate all but laid out before it, the producers shrugged and said, "To heck with it! Let's go out with a blast!" And boy howdy, did they ever.

[Here come the spoilers!] There was blood! There was sex! There was baby lizards! There was an "anything goes" attitude as producers killed off major characters, and I'm sure the actors did not mind. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if actors had lined up outside producers' doors and ask for their characters to be killed. It would make finding their next job that much easier, because they wouldn't have to wait for ABC to officially cancel the show and release their contracts.

And yet, with this wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am finale that served as a last hurrah, there's a sense that we already miss it. "Mother's Day" gave us a taste of what the show could be: silly man vs. alien war with senseless violence and gratuitous gore that's made on the same Commodore 64 that creates the special effects in Syfy's creature features. There was also a cliffhanger ending, but it wasn't as shock-worthy as it could have been, i.e. no one was in the process of dying and no one was about to unleash a massive weapon on Earth.

Is it possible that the finale actually breathed new life into the series and that we should all be disappointed that it won't be back? (Seriously, it won't be back. No way.) Or should we let V blast off into the deep space of cancellation on a high note? If V did come back for a third season, I don't think it could keep up the insanity of last night's finale. Instead, we'd probably just get more of the same muddled mess until it was about to be canceled again. So I'm saying goodbye, V, and thanks for ending your run with the craziness we always wanted to see.

Here are last night's highlights, in picture-form...

La resistance submits its kidnapping tape!

The episode's greatest moment: Anna going Sharktopus-crazy and killing her mother, who's played by Jane Sadler (the original Anna), after Lisa almost attempted to kill Anna.

Seriously, she said that. And it was awesome.

This was major death #1 (or least Ryan appeared to be very dead). It just goes to show that you can never, EVER trust your children.

The new queen! Sorry for the NSFW nudity!

Apparently, in alien culture, when you are ready to die you act like a curious Golden Retriever.

Pseudo-Lisa got busy with Tyler.

And then she got a little too busy!

This was major death #2! But I think we were all glad to see him go. And to Tyler: There are worse ways to go out, friend.

See you later, lizard-gators!

What did you think of the finale?

Follow/heckle TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I also have just bought series one and two, so have not even seen 'Mother's Day'. It's worse than watching 'Grand Designs' and never seeing the finished house!! I have to now convince myself that the last episode in the DVD boxed sets is the final one and that the aliens win!!
i don't think I am ever going to watch another series from America ( I'm English, if you haven't guessed) until the final episode of the story is out on DVD.
By the way loved 'Breaking Bad' thank god the story was concluded!
invasion was another series started a couple of years ago and never concluded it drives my son and I nuts, never knowing if the story is going to have an ending!
Hi,
I have been watching v in Europe and it's crap that another American series is aired on TV then cancelled so we have no final conclusion. This follows many other like Flash Forward, 4400 etc. please can you just air new series once you have finished the story? It's so frustrating to get in to a good series then it ends!!!! I can't be the only one. It's seriously not funny, just commit and stop leaving fans high and dry
the ending sucked to the core.......there should have been an all out war with the V's finally defeated and everyone acquires the new tech.
They keep cancelling the really good shows. But what I find annoying more than anything else is they still produce the box sets of the seasons they made and sell them even though there will never be a suitable ending and viewers are left hanging.

Shame on you ABC, taking money from people knowing they will never see the end.

They need to make a film to cover the complete story like they did with firefly.
They cancel one of the best TV series EVER!!! That is crazy! They keep those ridiculous soap operas that have really no comparison to the real world but cancel one of the greatest SCI-FI's ever created.... The original V was great and the new one was just as good....they are really stupid for canceling it.

They always cancel the good ones and keep the stupid ones and wonder why their ratings drop.....where is the sense at in their heads?
Hobbes was the coolest lol, hes like snake from metal gear." ello anna! fifth colom here!"
What i DONT UNDERSTAND is this: Killing off the main characters! BUT i am glad to see that stupid teenager dimwit who ALWAYS DEFIES his mother cop it (Lesson to be learn KIDS!!) Secondly Anna'a Daughter and various others had heaps of chances to just take her out (Sniping will do it as she was out quite alot at times in the open)

Oh and did i mention that Anna'a Mother could of killed her ANYTIME she wanted to as she turned her back those several times while she was down there with her (Or someone give her one of those guns the next time she goes down to visit the mother)

BUT apart from the MANY holes in this series i actually liked it lol..

I seen most of the original series and use to love them!

Oh before i forget after watching and seeing Anna axt the way she did surely that SO-CALLED strong right arm of Anna's (That V that got shot for her) Would DEFINATELY be smart enough to be thinking: Anna has and IS a DUMBASS and she will lead us ALL TO DOOM!! Surely he would want to take her out BUT NO they make him a DUMBWIT as well and he confesses to betraying Anna (What a DUMBASS)..

Just SO-MANY holes in this writers script!!

BUT as i said i still liked it ;-)

Cheers
I can't believe again another show canceled.....no ending, I was going to buy the whole thing at the end...Thanks ABC for saving me allot of money...your loss again...If a customer can't get the whole series then why buy...its like getting a dozen eggs and when you get home 3 are missing
i would have liked it better if the tv stations could get on with coordinating with their T.V programs i mean you get a weekly t.v program and what it says is always different to what is on .
Tried to get into the show, but i just found it so boring and humorless; the characters and script lacking any charisma. Some very good actors had little or nothing to do and some not so good actors just got on my nerves. I don't know if it picked up in season 2 but the first 6-7 episodes just seemed to plod along. It's a shame though because the premise behind the show is so good.
I feel I'm the only one on the planet who actually enjoyed this programme, I have to admit I didn't really watch the original in the 80's as I thought it was stupid and the effects were childish. However, this series I LOVED and am sorry to see that people thought it was bad. The ENDING was stupid as you are not told if that is the end of the humans or what is going to happen, whether the Aries Project to have a way to save humanity, it's a nuisance this wasn't finished properly. I was glad to see the back of Ryan what a rubbish actor I never could believe in him, nor the priest, he was neither one thing or the other. Totally unbelievable.
Say what you want about this show but one thing it's not is boring. Do some of the characters annoy me, yes. Are the special effects not so special, yes... but ultimately none of that matters because the one thing that this show does well is keep me entertained and therefor I keep tuning in each week. I really hope this series comes back because I think they've set the show up to give us some of that "craziness" the writer of the above article so desperately craves.
I have to admit I never really watched the full series. I watched the four back to back episodes that they aired way back in November. Then there was that stupid months long break before any new episodes. While I watched the original V and am a fan of sci-fi, those 4 lonely episodes didn't do enough to catch my interest. Maybe if they hadn't had that big break, they may have done better.
the worst final for a serie , lots of question poped up about directing first season Rocks as usual sec season sucks and the 3rd "if there gonna be a loser to keep produce this stupid show " it will be worst than 2nd a tip just bring back the 80's show
the second season was more intense than the first 3 seasons of lost, but although i think this finale didn't give the series the finish it deserve , unlike some great episodes like siege & concordia & the devil in blue dress (i think).
bu what i liked the most about it was that the finale wasn't all cliffhangers and big changes, it showed some seriously signs of a finale of the series not the season.
I stopped watching it after six episodes. Too infantile to my taste. I was head over heels with love with FastForeward at that time. Still can't see what made them choose this trash over FastForward. Did they think teenagers were not intelligent enough? Middle-aged people obviously couldn't have been the target group.
The show is run by a bunch of morons. All the episodes are badly written... all of em. So yes... killing all those terribly played and 1 dimensional characters was a great move to save the series.
I honestly think this finale give the series a chance to come back. How can we save this great show ?
Jane Badler played "Diana" in the original series -- not "Anna". And what she actually said was "Now, THAT'S how you kill your mother." Terrible show. A guilty pleasure, though. The original was WAY better -- and far cheesier -- but at least the stories were well thought out. This incarnation was weak. For starters, I had no sympathy for Erica; she's the worst mother on the planet. Worse than Anna. At least Anna was HONEST about her willingness to sacrifice her daughter. Erica was a moron for letting her child go to work on the mothership every day, knowing Anna could have her way with him at any moment. Blast off... kill him... replace him... I mean, what mother would do that? Monique's TV-chucking, daughter-molesting character from Precious was more protective of her family. There was absolutely NO strategic advantage to keeping him in the dark and the reason the show did poorly is because intelligent people could see that. And I'm pretty sure they could also see the terrible blue screen. I mean, there were so many annoying plot holes in this show, it was unreal... but it kept me entertained with its mindless stupidity. And also... I only watched it because I heard Jane Badler was joining the cast.
this was the finale :O
I liked it. They showed what they look like completly without human skin. I did not know that was the finale but that explains why so many characters were killed
At first I had to adjust myself to this new V series. Like most of my age, we remeber the old v-series. Now I love to see more of this new V- series, specialy with this good and suprising ending. However I still wonder what happend to hibrid-daughter Cathrine in het old V-series?
A big problem with this show (as with FlashForward) is the attempt to present a complicated, ongoing plotline in a short season, with months before the next season. Continuity is lost.. I was engaged in this show for the first season (though Tyler was a stupid doosh-bag, and I was just waiting for him to get written out), but I just couldn't get re-engaged in the second season. Weekly TV shows used to have seasons of 30-odd weeks, but the people in TV land must be getting lazy these days.
Argh, I love this show (I do, and my taste in shows isn't bad: Fringe, House, Supernatural, The Wire, The Shield, Dexter, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, Lights Out (another cancellation travesty). I do hope that it comes back, but I'm prepared for the worst. Really, after Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Trust Me, Terminator and the aforementioned Lights Out, I'm kinda numb to the pain.
i honestly think this finale give the series a chance to come back with a 3rd season so much hope was given so many plot twists sigh farewell V
i saw this short horror movie collection and i went tell you everyone its very horrible i think people are must be see it because i supposed to this movie is very adventurist so see it. pasta boat
I hope they save this show and just keep up the pace of that last episode..... have things happen nice and fast so we dont get bored.....
I dont understand who or why people called for an axe to the head of this show... when I first saw the preview 2 years ago... yes I thought "wow just another stupid alien show" then 5 days ago (I saw the title of this article) and added that with my thinking of (any show with laura vandervoot is worth watching just cause shes so damn hot) so I downloaded all 22 episodes and blitzed through them and thought every episode was fantastic....the only stupid thing I didnt like in this show was the screen time they gave to catholic beliefs and their mention of the "soul"...Im sorry but religion of any kind does not belong on television... just like politics doesnt... its just a touchy subject thats gonna piss alot of people off....but other then that DAMN GOOD TV and will be EXTREMELY pissed if season 3 doesnt get made
does this mean David Rambo can return to C.S.I.?

the fans miss him.
I'm still a firm believer that this should never have gotten past script form. I DO agree that the finale was pretty good (particularly relative to the show as a whole), but I don't think it's enough to save it. The overuse of CG was still a bit much, though.

Still angry that Flash Forward was replaced with this... the former had a great story with a solid cast and HUGE potential. This show was dead from the word go.
Although the 2nd season was better than the 1st I won't really miss it if it goes.
we want it back abc better be bring it back even as a mini
What the hell was so horrible about it I loved every episode and Agree that the finale was the best
Good thing they went all out on it with just a slight glimmer that it may return!
I enjoyed the series, but it wasn't as much fun as the original.

Clayton

Why has v been canned for all good shows end like that crap
The finale was the best thing they ever did for this show, too bad I agree and it won't be back.
I haven't seen it yet but i'm holping soon. This may not be the best but its somthing and the characters and the story its good maybe another mini season wont be that bad after all still i'm not the purson to judge but maybe deserve another chanse
There is always a slight chance this show could come back. Detroit 187 is dangling by a thread and who knows what will happen with No Ordinary Family. I'm hoping to hell Rookie Blue doesn't return as much as I love Missy Peregrym. If somehow V pulls of a miracle, to ensure it's chances get better for survival: START THE DAMN WAR ALREADY!!!
You goofed on the last name. It's Jane Badler. At least get it right
I will be totally Bummed if ABC cancels "V" . How can we save this great show ?
I don't know why these writers beat up on this show so much, I think it's been great. It's had bad ratings because of how they've laid out the episodes, there was so much of a break in the first season, and then this season didn't come back until late....what do they expect?
Can't comment. Haven't seen the show yet. I do think it drags along at a snail's pace but I still watched every episode, downloading them a season at a time. I'm almost up to the last episode. Can I get back to you with my impressions?
Wow what a final! There has to be a third season!!!!!!!
seriously that was a finale? sheesh remember when a finale actually seemed like a finally... that looked just like moving the story forward to me.
v is great. i hope they will come back for a 3rd season. i love this show and dont let all ur fans haging!
I love V! It help me to escape reality. The series was good and I hope it comes back. I hope you don't end it, leaving us hanging about the outcome.
I love V. I hope that they bring V back for one more season.
I have to admit, the lizards are a hell of a lot meaner looking when they are in attack mode this time around...
Load More Comments