Doctor Who: Steven Moffat Will Step Down as Showrunner After Season 10

It's official! Steven Moffat will step down as acting showrunner for Doctor Who after Season 10, which will air in 2017, the BBC announced Friday. Moffat will hand over the TARDIS keys to Chris Chibnall, the creator of ITV's Broadchurch who was also a writer and producer on the Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood, and who has penned a handful of Who scripts since 2007. Chibnall's Doctor Who credits include the episodes "42," "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship," and "Power of Three." He will make his debut as showrunner in Season 11, currently scheduled for 2018.

According to the BBC, the decision to hold Moffat's final season until 2017 was made so that the show wouldn't be overshadowed by much bigger global events in 2016, like the upcoming summer Olympics. Season 10, the sixth with Moffat at the helm, is currently looking at a spring 2017 debut, but rest assured, Whovians, there will be a Doctor Who Christmas special in 2016. At this time, however, it's unclear whether or not the special will feature the Doctor's new companion, who has yet to be cast. Actress Jenna Coleman, who joined the series as Clara Oswald in Season 7 during the Matt Smith era, departed this past fall after racking up enough episodes to make her the longest-running companion of New Who.

Moffat is responsible for writing several of the most popular episodes of the modern era, including "Blink," which introduced the terrifying Weeping Angels, "The Girl in the Fireplace," and the two-parter "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead," which introduced time-traveler River Song, played by Alex Kingston. He also oversaw the series' 50th anniversary special in 2013, which saw David Tennant's Tenth Doctor and Smith's Eleventh unite in a feature-length episode.

Rumors that Moffat was leaving the series have been floating around the internet for a while now. Confirmation that his time in the TARDIS will soon be coming to an end will probably please those fans who've been disappointed in the series' direction—namely, the switch to more complicated overarching season-long mysteries that rarely panned out—since Moffat took over as showrunner from Russell T. Davies in Season 5. Rumors that Peter Capaldi's time as the Doctor will also soon be coming to and end have yet to be confirmed.

Are you bummed about Moffat's impending departure? Are you excited for relatively fresh blood?

Feb 18, 2016
Let's hope that this can speed up the series production on Sherlock, yes?

(I realize, of course, the biggest barrier there is the ever-expanding career of both Cumberbatch and Freeman, but at least Moffat will be able to be sure that it's perfect when they are available.)

Jan 26, 2016
I miss Moffat already! He perfectly captured the whimsy and heart of the show. I wish him well.

Haters be damned.
Jan 28, 2016
I posted a lot of this down below, but to all the Moffat-haters claiming he hasn't written anything good since becoming showrunner:

"The Eleventh Hour"

"The Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone"

"The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang"

"A Good Man Goes To War"

"The Snowmen"

"The Day Of The Doctor"

"Listen"

"Heaven Sent"

These are undeniably great episodes. Hell, I would add "A Christmas Carol", "Dark Water/Death In Heaven", "Last Christmas" and "Hell Bent" to my personal favorites list.

I won't deny that series 6 had a disappointing deus ex machina resolution, or that series 7 was a total mess with almost no character-driven focus, but series 8 resolved nearly all of the problems 7 had and series 9 was damn near perfection. Everybody seems to forget that, when it came to characters and emotion, sure it was pretty hard to top RTD, But Davies' actual plots were usually laughably bad when he wrote an episode. Really, the only exception to that rule was "Midnight" and "Left Turn". You so-called "fans" need to take off the Rose-tinted (pun definitely intended. She was only a great companion during series 1. After that, she became a lovelorn, whiny bore) nostalgia glasses and actually pay attention to how the high-concept storytelling has steadily been matched by great character focus in recent years. You know why hardly anyone is excited for Chibnall? Because the past 5 series under Moffat's tenure has given Chibnall a lot to live up to. It's just a shame not many of you can admit it
More +
Jan 25, 2016
This is the most amazing concept for a TV show ever. It hasn't always been good, but when it's good, it's awesome. RTD was better than anyone so far and he is missed--Moffat, not so much. This show is so hard to write because of its epic nature. I think the best have been done, but one can only hope for more epicness in the future.
Jan 25, 2016
I'm more annoyed by no more new Doctor Who until 2017 than anything else. And the excuse they gave was totally lame!

Moffat was okay as a show runner, but I'm not too sure about the new guy. I'm not a fan of his Who stories.
Jan 25, 2016
"Confirmation that his time in the TARDIS will soon be coming to an end will probably please those fans who've been disappointed in the series' direction—namely, the switch to more complicated overarching season-long mysteries that rarely panned out—since Moffat took over as showrunner from Russell T. Davies in Season 5"

As opposed to Daleks, Cybermen, or Daleks and Cybermen invasions that happened every single year and were resolved by last-minute magical handwaving every single time.
I'd hate to work in this job where the more ambitious (and the further away from fart jokes) you get in your storytelling, the louder the whining bleating of the sheep gets. Talk about dumbing down.
Jan 25, 2016
Its TIME for a change. Can we have a Female multi-ethnic Companion and possibly a different accent.. flavor baby!
Jan 25, 2016
Huge changes in relatively short period of time. Will it be good for the show in general?
Jan 25, 2016
I guess you can expect a lot more running, if Torchwood is an indicator of what's to come. Oh, and man-on-man action.
GREATEST NEWS EVER!

His work under RTD was fantastic. His work as head writer? Terrible. I actually cringed when I saw his name on the writing credits for an episode. I knew it was going to be riddled with plot holes and likely ignore all continuity that he had previously established. I actually almost gave up on the show completely during his first season as show runner and it was only my friends that had me slog through that mess. Good riddance Moffatt. Maybe now we can finally get some internal consistency again.
Jan 24, 2016
I don't really know what to think of Chris Chibnall. I hope he works out but every time I read his name I keep thinking of the worst episode of Torchwood Day One, which unfortunately let a sour taste in my mouth. Since Moffat has taken over the writing has improved. Here's hoping Chibnall does a good job.
Jan 24, 2016
I didn't read all of that. I can't believe that he also wrote Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Such a big difference most of his other writing. That was actually one of my least fave eps. of DW; I don't even really remember it very well.

Jan 24, 2016
Good, I can't wait to see the changes. Hopefully positive ones. He's one of my favorite writers. He wrote some of the darkest, most intense, & hearbreaking episdoes of Torchwood, as well as one of the most fun: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Love it!

Some time ago I was thinking that it'd be great if they could get Toby Whithouse or maybe that guy who created Misfits. But this is a good choice as well. Let's just hope he's able to keep it running smoothly and that it's tightly plotted Sci-Fi goodness.
Jan 24, 2016
YAY!! I can finally start watching Doctor Who again :) I didn't like either of his Doctors and I finally stopped watching a couple of seasons ago. I was a HUGE Torchwood fan, so I'll be cautiously optimistic for the new guy.
Torchwood sucked - except for season 3
Jan 25, 2016
Now that you've said that I don't like it anymore, thanks for the help.
Jan 25, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah!!!!!! Now, Stevey, focus on Sherlock!
Jan 24, 2016
Good news, but it isn't quite time to begin singing "Ding dong...."

The hiatus before Moffat's last series seems curious. Maybe it will give Chibnall more time to learn the showrunner role. Maybe it will also improve the chances that Moffat's tenure will end with the program on an upward trajectory.

Even though it may seem too early to say this, I wish Chibnall all the best, and look forward to both a quite different and quite familiar Doctor Who in 2018. And of course for Moffat to enjoy and succeed in all his other endeavors.
Jan 24, 2016
One complaint about this article: Overarching storylines didn't start with Steven Moffat. Bad Wolf, Torchwood, and Saxon were all overarching storylines during the Davies era.

Jan 25, 2016
"Bad Wolf, Torchwood, and Saxon were all overarching storylines during the Davies era"

They were! Insofar as one word repeated in a few episodes can be considered an "overarching storyline", of course.
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not disappointed to see Moffat go, although I think the show was at its worst around series 4 and the year of specials. Even though I liked "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship," "42," and "Power of Three," Chris Chibnall being brought in as the showrunner doesn't instill much confidence in me, since I primarily associate him with Law & Order: UK, a show which apparently does nothing but rehash 20-year-old Law & Order scripts, and my biggest complaint about the Moffatt era is that too many episodes focused on retreading old Doctor Who monsters.
Jan 24, 2016
Assuming that both Moffat and Capaldi will be exiting in 2017, I don't think that they will be getting a new companion for the Doctor since whoever he or she will be, will probably be co-terminus with Moffat and Capaldi. Even if they go for a full season in 2017 (which there have been hints that it won't be), having a new companion as their exiting will mean that the new actor will only expect to be around until the end of the season. If this were the case, it would probably be better if the Doctor just re-visit his old companions and have a arc built around this.
Jan 24, 2016
Good for Moffat to step down.

Doctor Who, to me, will always be, number 9.

Eccleston was the Doctor.

While you have to give kudos to Davies and others in the background, Christopher Eccleston's performance along with Billie Piper's Rose Tyler, they made Doctor Who a huge hit.

Not to put down Tennant and Smith, or even Capaldi, who are really good on their own, but Eccleston's Doctor was awesome.

I kinda wished there was a loop hole to bring him back.
Jan 25, 2016
Eccleston is a prick who wouldn't even do the 50th anniversary - he doesn't like the show and doesn't care about the fans. Also - he is by FAR the worst of the "new" Doctors...
Jan 25, 2016
You and I were not there at the BBC with the rest of the crew, who knows the real truth.

Bottom line, it's a civilized world, so we can agree to disagree.

Eccleston was one of the very responsible parties to bring back Doctor Who to its fame with the modern world.

We cannot take that away from him.

I wished he would have made it to the 50th, but, it is what it is. Sure be mad at him leaving or holding a grudge with the show, but for many of us, he was the best.
Jan 25, 2016
I dont care what he may of said etc, but he is the least best out of the new generation.

Tennant was prob the best and Matt Smith isnt far behind. Capaldi is ok....a little annoying with some things but still good.
Jan 25, 2016
I liked Eccleston as well, (tenant will always be my favorite) but unfortunately Eccleston has talked shit on the franchise and the fans. He called the show childish and said he regrets doing it and couldn't wait to be done so he could get back to "real" acting. (I am paraphrasing what I read elsewhere.) My point being; as cool as it would be to have him come back, I doubt he would ever consider it.
Jan 25, 2016
Well, it doesn't matter what shit he talked.. He was still awesome. He is still missed. And Tennant did a good job of taking over, for sure, I mean, they haven't cast any slouch, even Capaldi is very capable in the role. But Number 9 was awesome. Doctor Who fans can be real bitches.. Just like Star Wars fan.. or any geek based fandom. Just a bunch of whinning bitches, most of them living in the parents' basement :)
Jan 25, 2016
aha, I agree with you there. I'm not ashamed to admit that I jumped on the band wagon when Eccelston became doctor, so he was my "first doctor" so I will always appreciate what he brought to the role. And yes, Rose was the best companion by far. I do miss her!
Jan 26, 2016
ROFL I cannot stand Rose.....I find her repulsive in every way.

Amy and Rory I think were the best ones so far. But thats only Amy 85% of the time.
Jan 25, 2016
Same as me, before Eccleston, I couldn't get into Doctor Who even if someone put a gun to my head. It looked cheap. Now, perhaps I didn't have much imagination, so, who knows. But Eccleston's Doctor was fresh, smart and dynamic. A good combination of sci-fi, action and wrapped up in some pretty good storylines. Now, we have to give kudos to all of those who made it happen, not just Eccleston, but he was amazing.
Jan 24, 2016
I have not been impressed with Capaldi has to Doctor plus IMO the show has gone down hill , with the introduction of Clara
Jan 25, 2016
ROFL she is miss know it all....which annoys the shit out me. I cannot stand River Song either. Most stupid character I think ever is River Song.

Clara is good when she is not trying to be funny, amusing or miss know it all. When she is more serious and emotional I think she is much better. But overall she is painful.
Jan 24, 2016
Honestly, I haven't really enjoyed a lot of Moffat run. His first season as show runner was probably best, but after that it honestly just felt like he was going through the motions. I'm looking forward to some new blood in the show.
Jan 24, 2016
Jamie Matthieson has been the only writer of the Moffat era that could be considered a worthy successor. Had he been announced as the new showrunner I would've cheered for joy. Every script he's written has flipped familiar tropes of the genre on its ear and been full of pleasant surprises and spot on characterization. If he stays on into Chibnall's era, the show may just have a chance of staying brilliant. Without him or Moffat, I fear for the show's quality in the near future
Jan 24, 2016
Good news. I don't know if Chibnall will rise to the occasion or not (though I think his chances are good), but it's time for a change.
Jan 23, 2016
I've been thinking for a while that's it's probably time for a change. Moffat's been there a long time and I'd love to see him going into writing movies (maybe that long-expected Tintin sequel could finally get off the ground!) But I'm not feeling great about Chibnall's prospects.

When Davis stood down Moffat had established himself as the clear heir apparent and (imo) Moffat's tenure (pre-Clara) was probably the best period the show's ever had, the only thing that comes close would be the Troughton era.

But no writing underlings have really stood out during Moffat's era - and maybe that's because Moffat is too much of a showman - I'd suggest Gatiss would be an option due to seniority but perhaps he doesn't want the responsibility, and actually nearly all of his episodes have been terrible for a long time.

So we have Chibnall instead. I think we can all agree that his episodes haven't exactly been spectacular. Most of them have had a lot of potential but have fallen apart - the guy seems strong on characters and ideas, not so much on coherent plots and endings. This is a problem if you're the showrunner, you need to be able to develop plot-centric episodes and longer arcs and you have to have a good mind for high-concept science fiction.

He might be a pleasant surprise but I think it's more likely that we'll see a big decline in the show's quality. This might be the end of the "golden period" (relatively speaking). And presumably Capaldi will leave with Moffat.
Jan 23, 2016
The Moffat era was definitely uneven, but series nine was a high point. I look forward to seeing what the new guy dreams up.
I'm rather ambivalent.

I thought the Russel Davies era was very good. Not perfect or anything, but it's when I started watching Who, and fell in love with it. I enjoyed 9 and 10, and Rose, Martha and Donna.

The Moffet era to me has been very uneven. It's had some fantastic seasons - 5 and 6 were outstanding. I love 11 and Amy (and Rory and River) and loved the complicated, sometimes ridiculous plots. Vincent and the Doctor still makes me cry, as does Amy departure in The Angels Take Manhattan. But then, the show took a great big firey dump! I've only VERY recently warmed up to 12 (he's a hard guy to like), and I can't stand Clara. I feel like I really don't know her, even after being the longest running new Who companion. I was SO happy when she "died." And because I now finally like 12 okay, I am looking forward to new eps.

I enjoyed the first season of Broadchurch and enjoyed Torchwood (for the most part), so I'll reserve judgement about Chibnall for now.
Jan 23, 2016
Here's hoping Jamie Matthieson and Sarah Dollard are still on the writing team. If they leave with Moffat, that's pretty much the death of the show's creativity
Jan 23, 2016
It's a good and bad news at the same time. But a news that we all have to live with. I've seen Broadchurch and I liked it a lot (the British version with former Doctor Who David Tennant). But at the moment BBC is creating mostly very good productions (The Game, only one season which I strongly recommend,The Fall with Gillian Anderson, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell), so I trust Doctor Who can only get better.
Jan 23, 2016
I would have once lamented this decision, but now I am thrilled. I think it is long overdue for the torch to be passed and hopefully return the show to its heart. I'm not sure that this choice of successor is the best one, though. His episodes are amongst some of the worst, and I never truly liked Torchwood. Hopefully he keeps writing episodes to a minimum.
Jan 23, 2016
I don't mind Moffat leaving as showrunner as long as he keeps writing episodes. His have been some of the best.
Jan 23, 2016
I doubt it, I think he's going to be very sort after with a lot of things to write.
Jan 23, 2016
I'd be very surprised if Peter Capaldi decides to stay after Series 10. The current Doctor is a creation of both Capaldi and Moffat so it's more likely that Capaldi will time his exit the same time that Moffat does so as to give the new showrunner a free rein on what the next Doctor will be like and what new directions the show will take. It's basically going to be the end of an era and the start of a new one.
Jan 23, 2016
Basically the same thing as happened when Moffat took over from Davies.
Jan 23, 2016
Let's hope he doesn't completely leave, like RTD did, and comes back from time to time to write Something like "Blink", or "Girl in the fireplace", or "Heaven sent".
Not fond of the new guy's scripts so far ...
Jan 23, 2016
The newer ones may not be so strong because he's too busy. When he's no longer showrunner he may have the time to better develop stories.
Jan 23, 2016
By "new guy", I meant Chibnall, the new showrunner, but you're right, Moffat was stronger before he was showrunner, probably for the reasons you're saying ... although he did some good ones since he took over ( the first part of the Angel two-parter, or "A good man goes to war" ), a favorite of mine ("Christmas carol" ), and even a genuinely great one ("Heaven sent" ).
Jan 24, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Jan 24, 2016
Moffat was better when he wasn't given free rein. By contrast, Chibnall as showrunner for Broadchurch is very good, and he also wrote well for Torchwood under Davies. I'm hoping he won't feel any great pressure to continue Moffat's vision and will bring back some of the coherence and edge that's been missing.
Jan 23, 2016
The part about being overshadowed by larger events is bullshit and narcissistic. Guess what, every year there will be bigger and more important things than DW on TV. Make a shorter season if necessary, but don't be off the air for an entire year!
Jan 24, 2016
I don't think they are being narcissistic so much as taking advantage of those events to give them an excuse to get away with not having a new season in 2016.
Jan 23, 2016
Shame really, I always thought if they brought in someone to keep Moffat in check it would be perfect show. I think Dr Who with the loss of Davis and Moffat will just slowly spiral into mediocrity, degenerate and cease to exists.

I really wish they brought it someone with better track reckord
is time for DW to get some fresh blood. but damn 2017 can't come soon enough
Jan 23, 2016
Yesssssss! Finally! 2018 is not soon enough though...
Jan 23, 2016
You're saying - Yes, I'd rather have the guy who wrote Dinosaurs on a Spaceship running/headwriting the show than the guy who wrote Blink? Sounds.. wrong to me. all the moffat hate does not compute...
Feb 01, 2016
Your words, not mine. I'm saying if the Doctor and companion change every so often to keep things fresh, shouldn't the same go for the showrunner... especially when their plots have gotten stale and gimmicky?
Jan 23, 2016
I really liked the first few seasons where his name shows up and you know it's going to be an awesome episode (blink and so)

I dont think that his normal episodes (when he's writing most of them) are worse than russel's were

I do hope he will pop up now and again
Jan 23, 2016
Erm... one word ---& FINALLY!
Jan 23, 2016
that's like 3 words, a vague noise, and a symbol - makes you sound a bit egotistical young lady.... (as well as wrong - on multiple levels..)
Jan 23, 2016
LOL! Not young (although maybe at heart) not a lady, not wrong ROFL!

It was supposed to be an arrow but I see the site has not been able to correct the character input thing!
So again:

FINALLY!

He is a solid writer, but he is a terrible show runner!
Jan 24, 2016
what i said was quote from colin baker's sixth doctor when he first regenerated at the end of Caves of Androzani.. :)
Jan 23, 2016
Good! Never liked him as the showrunner. Haven't enjoyed the series since before Matt Smith anyway but so much less under Moffat...
Jan 23, 2016
Time for a change. I hope Capaldi stays around and give the new guy a try. I always felt if JNT had left before Colin Baker Colin would have had a better run. I like the idea of a team of Tom Baker and Terrance Dicks as the writers.
Jan 24, 2016
I'd like to see how things work for Capaldi under different show management. However many kind words about each other which may or may not have been said to reporters, I don't see them as a great match creatively. Capaldi is underutilized.
Jan 23, 2016
Overshadowed by bigger global events? What a bunch of bull. The longer I have to wait, the more I lose interest. I may forget all about the show by the time it returns.
Jan 23, 2016
Yeah I don't buy that story at all. AT ALL! They get away with letting a whole year go by with nothing but ONE episode using that lie. Not fair to the fans at all. At least film a couple specials like they did with Tennant right before he left the show. Sheesh Moffat (and probably Capaldi) leaving PLUS the news of no real new WHO til 2017 - I can see why they waited for a "friday news dump" to let loose this terrible news... Ughh - very disappointed in you BBC... (I know one day Moffat would move on - but I'd rather them bring back RTD than Chibnall - maybe he'll prove me wrong but his eps have generally not been very good so far...)
Jan 23, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Jan 23, 2016
I have a feeling that Capaldi too will depart along with Moffat leaving us with a brand new era for the show just as we had when Both David Tennant and Russel T. Davies stepped down.

There was nervousness back then. Davies had manned the ship since day one of the franchises resurrection. To go along with a new show runner we were also getting a new Doctor in Matt Smith taking over for a very popular predecessor in David Tennant. While many might not share in my opinion, I felt that Moffat and Smith really hit it out of the park, particularly in the fifth season. Smith quickly won over fans, becoming my personal favorite, and a lot of that had to do with Moffat.

Sure Moffat has had some missteps with some episodes and story choices not hitting the mark but the same can be said for Davies. Like Davies he feels like he has said all he can say with the show so it is time for someone fresh.

I'll admit though that I am a bit nervous since the new guys episodes are not my favorites and are certainly not up to the levels of Moffat's work during Davies' era. Hopefully he will have a clear vision of what he wants to do with what will more than likely be a new Doctor.

Now if the new companion introduced by Moffat remains for the changeover that will be interesting. With Moffat and Smith we got a new companion in Amy so everything was new. If this companion stays and Capaldi and Moffat leave then whoever the companion is will either have to adjust to the new show runner and Doctor or aspects of the Moffat era will continue on for some time.
Jan 23, 2016
I really wanted to dislike matt in that first episode but I just couldnt :P
Jan 23, 2016
Fish fingers and custard !!!
I've warmed up to Capaldi, but no as fast as with Matt, and he's still my favorite ( although that probably has to do with the fact that he was my first one, which makes him THE Doctor in my eyes ... )
Jan 24, 2016
I have very much the same :P
ten is my favourite since I saw him before I even knew what doctor who was (i saw 9 too but I didnt understand the show at all back then and thought he was a minor character and that 'the doctor' was some evil dude controlling the dalek in the episode 'dalek')
Jan 23, 2016
I've only been waiting for this news for five seasons. His replacement really worries me though. I loved Torchwood, but just glancing at his episodes he was responsible for some of the worst of the series, and his Doctor who track record is even worse.

I sort of wish they'd just end this version of the series at ten seasons and then bring it back in another five or so years with a completely new cast and crew.
Jan 23, 2016
End of another era. No matter what you think of Moffat, he'll be missed. The guy wrote some of the best episodes of NuWho.
Jan 25, 2016
The guy wrote some of the best episodes of NuWho...
... When he wasn't its showrunner.

There. Fix it for you.
Jan 28, 2016
Yea because "The Eleventh Hour", " The Time Of Angels/Flesh And Stone", "The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang", " A Good Man Goes To War", "The Snowmen", " The Day Of The Doctor", "Listen" and "Heaven Sent" were all terrible episodes, right? You Moffat haters are a really bad joke. RTD wrote waaaaayyyyy more mediocre and/or just plain stupid episodes than Moffat ever did. One unsatisfying finale and one unsatisfying season (6 & 7, respectively) and all of a sudden the internet has never liked him as a showrunner. No matter that their biggest gripe (lack of character driven stories) were completely resolved with series 8 and series 9 continued the character driven focus. I want to know what parallel universe version of the show the rest of the fans are watching, because the one I've seen has only benefitted from Moffat's tenure. Especially after Brian Minchin became executive producer. The only upside to Moffat leaving is that I won't have to hear the bandwagon idiots bitching about a great writer for a great show.
Jan 29, 2016
The funniest thing about your comments:

A whole lot of the episodes you've mentioned here were straight up horrible.

"The Time Of Angels" and "Flesh And Stone" are such memorable episodes... that I barely remember them (actually, I had to wiki them). But hey, they might actually be decent episodes... but "The Snowmen"? "Heaven Sent"!? Are you mad???

lol. Well, there's truly no accounting for taste, and yours seems to be quite terrible. But hey, if you really enjoyed any of those messes... more power to you, mate.
Jan 27, 2016
The greats were mostly outside his seasons. But Listen is a stand out too.
Jan 23, 2016
My guess is that Capaldi will go when Moffat does - which sucks I really like him as The Doctor. Hope you're happy Moffat haters - you got your wish - and now we will be looking at a HUGE drop in quality for the show. Guy who wrote Dinosaurs vs Guy who wrote Blink? 42 vs Girl in the Fireplace? Power of Three vs Silence in the Library? Really? REALLY? Ugh.. terrible news - and Moffat's final season won't even air this year - no new DW til 2017 other than xmas ep - that sucks. As a fan of Moffat - this sucks - his eps were the best. Period.
Jan 24, 2016
Moffat's best work was before he head writer. After that it was giant plotholes and pissing all over continuity including what he'd established. Every time he brought the angels back they worked different. Angels take Manhattan was a great example of Moffatt at his worst. You're telling me no one looked at the Statue of Liberty walking around? Cool image but it made no sense.

The reasons for why the doctor couldn't go back and get them were ridiculous and an 8 year old could have figured out the way to do it. The episode had plot holes you could drive a tank through. For me that was Moffatt as show runner. He'd get an idea he thought was neat and use it regardless of whether it made sense or fit with anything.
Jan 25, 2016
You're wrong - The final two eps he wrote for this season were STELLAR - and the X-mas ep was great too - despite what Kait thinks...
Jan 25, 2016
Xmas specials have all been garbage.
Jan 23, 2016
I agree about the other episodes ( I'll even add "Heaven sent" to the list of the show's best episodes ), but, despite its rushed ending, "Power of three" wasn't so bad ... Hyperactive Doctor bored with everyday Earth life was fun, and his speech with Amy about "running to her" was quite good.
Jan 23, 2016
Yep! It's good that he's going. If he could go sooner it would be better the show does need a bit of a re-jig.

"Don't you think he looks tired?"

Oh and BOOOO sport!!!
Jan 23, 2016
Why, BBC? Why would you choose Chibnall? Before everybody comes at me saying "because 'Broadchurch' is awesome", let me put that in perspective-

Sure, "Broadchurch" has a fantastic long-term arc and great drama/mystery/tension. It also stands as one of the best things Chibnall's been involved in. These are all pros in his favor. However, one of the main reasons it stands as such an achievement is its complete lack of sci-fi/fantasy. Chibnall is great with character drama, but every script he's written for sci-fi/fantasy series has been incredibly lackluster. Just look at his "NuWho" output:

"42" - entertaining on a first watch. Subsequent viewings demonstrate choppy pacing, questionable motives of all the characters (not in a good way) and a story that could have been told in half the runtime of the episode.

"The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood" - One of the rare low points of Series 5. Without the increased production budget, this 2-part story would have been laughably bad. Horrible character motivation runs rampant in this story and the only things I really remember from it are how much I wanted the Silurians to kill that idiot mom (your son is a hostage and you decide to kill a Silurian because you want him back. Nice logic, moron.) and Rory's disappearance from the timeline (which feels so Moffat in execution, I'm almost sure it wasn't Chibnall's idea). The rest is completely forgettable and boring.

"Dinosaurs On A Spaceship" - This one feels like he was trying WAY too hard to be as wild and inventive as Moffat. As a result, we get like 4 stories (that all would have made great individual episodes) taped haphazardly together with no satisfying payoff on any of them. The term "tonal whiplash" was invented for the jarring experience of episodes like this. It was fun, but more like guilty-pleasure-fun instead of "Wow! So glad I watched this!"-fun.

"The Power Of Three" - The episode that forgot to include an ending. Or at least one that made any kind of sense. The first 20 or so minutes are a fascinating character study but then all the realism is tossed out the window and we get things like Square-mouthed aliens that are never explained and a deus ex screwdriver final act.

Torchwood, Life on Mars and Camelot were all hit-or-miss shows that he ran. All 3 were on point whenever they focused on main character drama but stumbled and fell when it came to high-concept storytelling.

The Man just doesn't get sci-fi or fantasy. He may like them, but recant write them with anything resembling consistency.

I will still give 2018's Series 11 a chance, but I have a feeling 2017's Series 10 will be the last time I truly enjoy a season of Doctor Who for quite some time.

Moffat may not be perfect at the long-term story arc, but every one of his individual episodes have boldly ran with their high-concept tales with confidence and been thoroughly entertaining (only exception being "The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe" which, oddly enough, felt like something Chibnall would have written). I will miss Steven Moffat's undeniable influence on what has become my favorite sci-fantasy series of all time. Here's hoping Series 10 goes out with a bang in 2017

Jan 23, 2016
Apologies for typos. My smart phone isn't very smart
Jan 23, 2016
Good to hear. The show needs fresh blood running it, Moffat has depleted his reserves and is repeating beats; regardless of how I feel about him it seems like that's the time to get out.

I think I liked The Power of Three, but didn't care for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and don't remember 42 much.

Hopefully this won't change actors for the Doctor, I'd still like to see Capaldi unshackled from the weight of Clara take on this character for a while.
(in my opinion)42 was okay, but not overly awesome or anything
dinosaurs on a spaceship was just odd
and I didnt really like the power of three (not that I didnt dislike it either... I liked it because it was one of the last pond episodes, but not because of its plot)