Doctor Who Will Run for at Least 5 More Years, Says Showrunner Steven Moffat

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat doesn't need a time machine to assure fans that the series will remain on the air for at least another five years. According to the U.K.'s Radio Times, Moffat told Doctor Who Magazine that the BBC's plans for the show extend through 2020.

"I thought it would last 10 years," Moffat said of the revived version of Doctor Who that's been on the air since 2005. "I didn't think it would last 10 years with BBC Worldwide trying to get me in a room to talk about their plan for the next five years! It's going to do a minimum of 15. I mean, it could do 26!"

He also pointed out that the show's ratings "are pretty much the same. Actually, internationally bigger. No show does that! You're meant to go down! Doctor Who just stays. It's extraordinary."

The series continues to be a solid performer for BBC America. Season 8, which aired last fall, drew an average of 2.3 million viewers.

While some fans might argue that Doctor Who doesn't NEED to continue for another five years, those who are concerned that it could end once those five years are up need only look to Ben Stephenson, head of BBC drama, for reassurance:

"Because it's such an amazing format, because you can constantly revive it and re-imagine it, then as long as the people looking after it are passionate about it, and the BBC is passionate about it, there's absolutely no reason why it can't do another 50 years," he said.

Doctor Who's ninth season is currently filming in Cardiff, Wales.

Do you think Moffat has enough ideas left to keep Doctor Who going for another five years?

Oct 11, 2015
I want Dr. Who to last forever... however, I don't want Steve Moffat's control of it to last even one more day. He's just the worst and he's getting worse and worse. It's like he's purposefully making it absurd and awful to see how long they will continue to let him. Turning the sonic screw driver into sunglasses? He's been disrespecting the show for a long time and now it's to the point that he knows that viewers are faithful to show and will keep tuning in so it doesn't matter what he does. He can do whatever he wants 'because he can'.
Jun 25, 2015
I will never stop watching!
Jun 07, 2015
As long as the stories remain good, I'll watch.
May 27, 2015
Good. Season 8 was refreshing change of pace, with a fantastic new Doctor. Jenna and Peter have a fantastic chemistry but I hope he gets a new companion for season 10. I like Clara but every companion should leave after a certain amount of time.
May 22, 2015
Can't wait for the tenth series to begin airing. Do you know yet when that's going to happen?
May 22, 2015

May 09, 2015
Doctor Who will never permanently be cancelled, IMHO. Non-British fans would say that it's because it's like Star Trek in longevity, but with greater endurance, because the possibilities are really endless. Plus, Star Trek has had to do a whole new spinoff when they need to reboot, whereas Doctor Who goes through Doctor after Doctor and companion after companion to keep things fresh. However, according to my British friends, it's more than that--it really is so ingrained in their national pop culture, it's something of an unofficial national treasure. While a multi-year hiatus seemed to be the end, it was bound to come back.

Apr 12, 2015
If what Moffat is reporting is true that would take us to the 40th season. With the way he is taking the show I just wonder how many of the older fans, who are still alive, will still be watching?
Apr 07, 2015
This might be a silly question since so many of you seem to want Moffat off the show, I didn't watch the original show...but what exactly do you dislike so much about his work?
Oct 11, 2015
He's disrespectful of the show and everything it stands for. He's turned it into a campy, absurd, soap opera, joke. I think what he did with the sonic screw driver sums it up. The sonic screw driver was an important, iconic part of the show... and he's shown his disrespect by turning them into a cheap pair of sunglasses. He turned the master into a boy crazy version of River Song, one of the worst characters ever to curse the show. He's turned the doctor into... well... I don't know who he is but he's not the doctor. Just everything... he's ruined the show because he has the power to. I personally think he does it because he thinks he's untouchable and he knows it's spitting in the face of an iconic national treasure. He's power hungry. He even said he did the thing with the sonic screw drive, just because he can. He's just the worst thing to happen to Dr. Who. He destroyed torchwood. The only thing I can think of that he's done good for the show is hiring Matt Smith. He needs to leave. Someone who has respect for the show needs to get in control of it and start repairing some of the damage. I don't mind new and fresh concepts for the show but it needs to not be ones that destroy the integrity of the show. He's just gotten more ridiculous with it as time goes on. You don't have to have seen the original show to see the problems, watch the first few 'series' of the reboot up until Matt Smith came on. You can see there's a stark difference. One is about a time lord and his travelling companion, the rest is just nonsense.

You know, I don't even mind a bit of romance in the show, but the worst thing is that Steven Moffat doesn't even have any idea what a healthy relationship looks and doesn't know how to write a female character correctly and brings that into the show. Amy Pond's whole existence was about which boy she was going to choose to end up with.... she didn't have her own personality, she wasn't her own person. She was annoying too. River Song was even worse. She also was chasing the doctor but she had all these super abilities and no real flaws, out showing the doctor and was basically a time lord but wasn't... uck. She was just the most disgusting Mary Sue character and now they've turned the Master into that. Oh no, not the master. 'Missy'. I actually like her outfit and her sort of Victorian steam punk vibe about her. If she were her own character and if he didn't mess her up the way he did all the other female characters, because now the master has a crush on the doctor now that he's a woman. That's all women are right? They're all about the men in their lives. They can possibly be their own person, right?

More +
Oct 11, 2015
Oh wow, I feel the anger!

Well I don't actually know when exactly Moffat took over as showrunner but yes, I did of course notice a huge difference starting with Matt Smith although I attributed it more to the show having a large influx of new viewers perhaps mainly American viewers and it felt like the show was trying to cater to them, suddenly the Doctor was using typically american phrases which bothered me a bit and a few episodes were filmed in the US which was fine.

However the main difference for me was that I felt that they were dumbing down the show quite a bit, a lot more unnecessary explanations were popping up. I understand that they wanted new viewers to understand the show but presumably viewers would have been smart enough to understand with a lot more subtle hints.

I agree with you when it comes to Amy with all those scenes where she was choosing between the Doctor and Rory which is why for me River was a welcome character, I rather liked that she was more mature than the rest of the cast. I think that she was quite flawed actually, especially morally and she was damaged. I did like that for once someone else in the room knew more than the Doctor, it was interesting to watch. I liked the entire story of her being Amy and Rory's daughter and that quickly put an end to any possible future flirting between Amy and the Doctor which was for the best. But that's just how I felt about her, she did come of very strong and I see how she could be off putting to some. I think you probably either like River or you hate her.

I'm not sure that I would say that Missy has a crush on the Doctor...that's not how I see it. With the previous incarnation of the Master with Saxon we already understood that they do have a bond and they do care about it each other. They've clearly tried to exaggerate the complexities of their relationship and that is somewhat annoying. The Doctor leaving her his last will and testament? That was a bit much.

However I completely 100% agree with you on the sonic screwdriver! I hate the glasses.

More +
Apr 12, 2015
He has turn it away from sci-fi into a soap opera which was started during the 2nd season but they had gotten away from with Donna.
Apr 07, 2015
It could creatively stand to take a break for a few years, honestly
Apr 07, 2015
Doctor Who could endure, but under Moffat it'll be the same bag of tricks over and over again until it gets so stale that it loses momentum.
Apr 07, 2015
You're all mad. I love Moffat.
Apr 07, 2015
Doctor Who can stay but Moffat has to go.
Apr 07, 2015
Who cares about five more years of Doctor Who... WHEN ARE THEY BRINGING BACK TORCHWOOD!?
Apr 07, 2015
It's so much easier to bring back a show when you don't need to wrangle all the original actors. At least the main actors are currently on US TV for us to watch. Barrowman (Arrow), Myles (Broadchurch), Gorman (Forever), Mori (Humans - AMC - June), David-Lloyd (Enoch the Traveler - 2016?)
Apr 07, 2015
Seriously? Where do you heard it and is it official?
Apr 07, 2015
Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up, I just loved the series a lot (more than its parent series) and always wish more will be made - unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone ever will.
Apr 07, 2015
Oh I see. I also like Torchwood better with the exception of the last series Miracle Day which got a nice premise but the execution was poor.
Apr 07, 2015
Like pretty much everyone else has said, the main problem is Moffat, and I think perhaps the series could salvage what's left if he departed (and Clara leaving would help too, in my opinion). Davis had four seasons, if Moffat goes after five he could still say he's the current series' longest show runner. And again, as others have said, he could just step down as show runner and still keep writing for the series.

The problem is that the BBC are obviously fine for him to stay in charge because people are still watching, perhaps if the ratings continue to decline something might change...
Apr 07, 2015
As much as I've enjoy Peter Capaldi's take on the role, at this stage I'd much rather them end the series sooner rather than later and then perhaps do another continuation and/or reboot in another 10 to 20 years time.
Apr 07, 2015
Like most commenters I'm far more interested in knowing how much longer Moffat will be running the show than how long the show will ultimately run.
Apr 07, 2015
OK - Need to be caught up, as I've not watched the current Who since Tennant met Freema Agyeman, but does it still hold true that the Doctor has a finite 12 lives? Are we on the 11th now? Or has that all changed? Please, no spoilers if so, just let me know if the current run has altered that. I saw that someone mentioned the Master having changed those rules, so...

I am watching past Who on Hulu, or Netflix, if need be, and wish to get through those early years before getting to the current one. It might be 5 years by the time I do.
Apr 07, 2015
The current run has altered that.
Good to know. Thank you!
Apr 07, 2015
Doctor Who should change showrunners every 5 years to keep things fresh.
Apr 07, 2015
How many regenerations does the showrunner get?
Apr 07, 2015
There goes any hope for a showrunner replacement...

I really hope he doesn't think it's lasted this long because of him; it's lasted this long in spite of him.
Apr 07, 2015
I wonder if Moffat is getting tired of it but can't bring himself to move on. Maybe that's what happened at the 26-year mark in the original series. The EP/showrunner believed they knew what was best for the show even when they were running it into the ground.

First Moffat says that 10 years ago he thought it would last only 10 years. And now he almost sounds concerned that more and more fans are wanting more and more from the series, with no end in sight.
Apr 07, 2015
How would Moffat get tired? He does the same thing over and over again, the foreign audiences lap it up because they didn't get into the show earlier and don't recognize how much better the writing could be, and he barely has to do anything creative.
Apr 07, 2015
Tired of doing the same thing over and over. Bored. Loss of enthusiasm. Just a guess. A few years back I thought he had enthusiasm but to take the show in a different direction: wacky, nonsensical scripts and slapstick/pratfall actors to make kids laugh.
Apr 08, 2015
I highly doubt he'll ever get tired of repeating the same tricks ad nauseam, and will have to pried out of the job with a crowbar.
Apr 08, 2015
I believe Moffat is very good as a writer but not as good as a show runner. I much prefer Russell T. Davies, but you can't have it all... If Moffat had rebooted the series I don't believe it'd be this popular in the US, it would have probably continued to be a cult series...
Apr 08, 2015
" to make kids laugh..."

Well, do remember it is still for kids! Even if a bunch of grown ups watch it (including me of course) but I used to watch it with my nephews and now with a friend's children...

I think the confusion is because Europeans in general have a different idea of what is "for children" and in general do not sweeten everything (ad nauseam) like US people do. PLUS Europeans in general treat children like intelligent little people...
Apr 07, 2015
The original series ran 26 years (hence why he said 26), although towards the end the show was getting tired.
Apr 07, 2015
I actually thought the McCoy years were some of the show's strongest.
Apr 07, 2015
Female Doctor...Black Doctor....Dr regenerates as a kid.....those three should be good for a couple years
Apr 07, 2015
I hope Steven Moffat doesn't stay involved for all 5 years. The show hasn't been good sine the end of season 6. And even though Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman have no chemistry whatsoever, I think a better change would be a show-runner who is clever, and doesn't think of it as a kids show. The 50th anniversary was a huge disappointment as it ruins the premise of the new series and just embraces so much Deus Ex Machina. The worst is when Gailfrey slips him life through a crack in the universe. I miss when the show was smart and came up with clever ways of having him solve problems. The show hasn't been clever since 5th season, but the chemistry of Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill was enough to keep me interested. I stayed during 8th season because Jenna Coleman said she was leaving but I am already tired of smart alecky girl and the cranky old man.
Apr 07, 2015
5 more years of Doctor Who is good, but even one more year with Moffat is bad.
Apr 07, 2015
I don't mind 5 more years of the Doctor. But I have to say that I agree with some of the comments here. Moffat should step down from his showrunner's position. I'm one of those who prefer Moffat-era over Davies-era but the arcs have been a bit weak lately.

I'd still like for Moffat to write those one-off episodes. 'The Girl in the Fireplace' is still one of my all time favorite episodes of any show. It sort of perfectly encapsulates every aspect I love about Doctor Who. Minus points for Rose. She was a pain in that episode. But I blame Davies. The whole Rose&Ten thing was dreary and kind of ruined Rose for me (Donna FTW!).

Oh, and by the way! Is there any sort of news regarding about the face thing? I remember (maybe incorrectly) reading that the fact that Capaldi was in the Vesuvius episode as someone other than the Doctor would come into the story in some way. That the Doctor would address the fact in some way. Like not in a huge overarching plot kind of way but in a small way... Or something.
Apr 07, 2015
I'm fine with the idea, sooner or later things have to end. I know there are people that want this show to go on another 50 years, which I'll admit the thought sounds good unless the Doctor finds a way to extend his life cycles more which was something the Master did. It's possible but no guarentees.
Apr 07, 2015
Doctor who is like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond in the sense that it can go on forever, it's just a vector for fun stories involving sci fi and fantasy. What we do need is to see the showrunner changing from time to time. I don't want to see Moffatt's vision of the doctor for another 5 years. I want to see someone new giving it a try.
Apr 07, 2015
I never even thought about the show ending. I honestly don't really want it to. I know the show isn't as good as it used to be, but with the whole regeneration thing, I was hoping it would go on for a hell of a long time with a buuuunch of different actors.
Apr 06, 2015
I think Moffat ran out of ideas a couple of seasons ago. Which is why he keeps rolling out the Daleks and Cybermen in the season finales.

I think Moffat was fantastic with his individual episode contributions (Especially "The Empty Child" (Boy in the gas mask); "Silence in the Library" & "Blink" (the initial Weeping Angel episode) however his overarching stories as showrunner have been very average ... and his over-use (and awful ret-conning) of the weeping angels has also been poor.
Apr 06, 2015
Yes, but look what he did to the Weeping Angels and a mysterious archeologist River Song afterwards...
Apr 06, 2015
Made the comment that I didn't like his subsequent Weeping Angels episodes. :-)
Apr 07, 2015
Right, and I agree with you - as a single episode author Moffat is very good, but if you haven't taken the toy away, he will destroy it by overusing, making ridiculous or God knows what else he has up his sleeve :)
Apr 06, 2015
No, I think Moffat should be a script writer and leave running the show to someone else. Someone has to be there to stop him in time when he loses it throwing any logic and credibility under the bus (yes, it is a sci-fi show but it has its own mythology and rules which should not be bent just because it suits the narration).
Apr 06, 2015
Why shouldn't it go on for as long as it can? Even the original run had its ups and downs, like any show does. In the end, are the good stories worth sticking around for? For me, the answer is YES!