Dr. Burke discharged from Grey's

The drama at Seattle Grace hospital may be the thing that keeps viewers returning week after week to Grey's Anatomy, but it's the drama behind the scenes that is particularly steamy.

Isaiah Washington, who plays Doctor Preston Burke on the show, will not be returning to the show next season, ABC reps have confirmed. ABC Studios has decided not to renew the option on the actor's contract, effectively booting him from the cast.

ABC is not releasing any official statement on the reason for the decision, but Washington has been in hot water since an on-set altercation last October was made public. During the fracas, Washington and fellow cast member Patrick Dempsey reportedly came to blows after Washington called T.R. Knight--who plays George O'Malley on the show--a homophobic slur. Knight publicly came out of the closet shortly after the incident.

Washington tried to make amends by going to counseling and doing a public service announcement. However, he repeated the slur while defending himself at January's Golden Globes, stoking the controversy once again.

While Washington is on his way out, Knight is on his way back. ABC has picked up the actor's option and offered him a per-episode salary of $125,000, says EW.com.

i'm from the uk so reading this is the first thing i have heard, i can't believe their getting rid of DR Burke i mean come on he and Christina are meant to be, but on the other hand what he said was out of order. i just wonder how Season 4 is going to start because my friend in the states said that there was a twist at the end of season 3. i love Greys soo much but they shouldn't keep introducing all these new characters like that smiliey Doctor who was izzie's counseler and the woman who came 2nd in burke class at Med school (heart/lock or something) it changes the show too much, i'm soo happy that george and izzie get off cause i really don't like callie. i love grey's anatomy soo much i never want it too end but Living TV take ages putting it on air.
i'm guessing this is an american site. i'm from the uk so i dont really know whats going on in the show as its only just started the 3rd season but i'm a bit shocked by what you are saying. i think greys anatomy is the best thing on telly at the mo. i think that they should have gotten rid of Dr burke any ways. i mean come on people what could they do with him short of making a miracle and stopping his hand from shaking all the time!!!!!! Apart from that it good they got rid of him as his words were out of order so what if he didn't mean it as an insult what if i said to him whats up my N****r!!! would he have been impressed! i think not!! from reading your posts tho i'm a bit suprised on where the show is going. do george an izzy get it on. thats silly she should be with alex. and whats this about meredith please tell me her and mcdreamy dont break up again cuz i dont think i could take it!!!!! Doctor Bailey is the best character along with alex they are colourful characters who really dont care what the others think!!
I think the show is going to lose some fans because of this,I mean Dr. Burke kicked out.I liked his character very much and the weird relationship with Christina.I wonder what is going to be the producers next move to keep us in front of the TV.I am dissapointed about this...
Come on! Give me a break here! The show is good, very good, but the characters that should've been written out are Meredith and O'Malley. They both are so cheesy, dull and predictable! Oh! Sorry! Without Grey there is no Anatomy! But I've an idea. We all love Bailey! Make it Bailey's Anatomy and write Grey out, along with George! But no! Instead, Adisson is gone, Burke is gone. And the latter is gone because of a SLUR!! Damn! Your country is Hollywood, which makes a lot of crap, that gets crappier and crappier every year! They use the words "f a g g o t" and others like it all the time and nobody get offended! For Chrissake! Your whole nature and culture is so cynical, it makes me sick!
Sad to know Isaah leaving the show for good. Before this I was already worried how the show ended in Season 3 with Burke missing during the wedding. It was a wedding that I have expected Christina to be finally happily married to Dr Burke. From what is happening it look like Isaah has some attitude problems and his working relationships with others might not have been good all these while as not just Patrick Dempsey there are others who dislike him. Anyway hopefully ABC will get a nice handsome black doctor in to replace him and hope Christina can find new love. Else I will stop watching next season since season 3 ending has been disappointing. Christina is the only Character I love who was loyal to her love unlike the rest so mess up sleeping around. I used to like Meredith find her so pity but now I find her messup.
Shocking if this is the truth... Good actor though, would not believe that Dr. Burke would be like that! & good for Knight that he's staying :)
I Personally feel that he got what he deserved.. I hope they do bring him back for a little bit to close off the Yang and Burke Saga though.. but in a since it has already been closed off
please don't make Dr. burke out of this show. maybe some people don't like I.W., but there are a lot of others like Burke! we need him to stay with Chritina!!!
Shameful is the word. Washington/Burke was an intelligent actor who really contributed to the show, even if his performance in the final episode of the despicable third season was really out there (cancelling the wedding like that was really NOT believable for the Burke-character). This only goes to show how scared Hollywood still is for any gay-connected issue. TR Knight has, almost singlehandedly, destroyed Grey's anatomy with his awful character, cheating on his wife, strumming up a passionate relationship with Izzie (totally unbelievable) and running from woman to woman (having sex with Meredith, Calley and Izzie). Everything in his character points to what Washington "outed": he's gay He's lost sexually, running from one motherfigure to another, doesn't know what he wants etc. Was it such a crime for Washington to spell it out? I'd think the writing was on the wall anyway. However, to let Washington go and keep Knight illustrates an even bigger problem: the total dismantling of Grey's anatomy. The scripts have gone from bad to worse, the characters are acting all out of character and it's just not belieavable anymore. It used to be a personal, original and intelligent show with people we cared about. Now? Please... It is obvious that, with keeping Knight on the staff, the scripts will become even worse, the stories even more unbelievable, the storylinesurprises even more stupid and out of character. Knight is the biggest weight around the legs of Grey's anatomy and the show will soon be sleeping with the fishes. It's sad but unavoidable.
I'm glad I.W. is gone and I doubt the show will suffer. It'll probably get better! Does no one wonder why most of this season sucked? Could it be all the tension behind the scenes? Not only did I.W. have a physical altercation on set, he made a homophobic slur - TWICE! The 2nd time on national TV, while saying he never said it in the 1st place! Does no one remember that? I do. If someone had aimed a racial slur towards him, you bet your sweet bippy someone would've gotten fired. I'm surprised they let him end the season but I'm sure they needed to tie up loose ends before giving him the boot.
YAY!!!!!!!!!!! never liked Burke. and i thought George was leaving and i criend. OMG yay:) this is AWESOME!!!!!! i thought george was gone for good...ahah yess this is awesome
They shouldn't let him go, he's more popular than Knight.He's one of my fave characters in the show. Grey's won't be the same without him, ratings will fall, you'll se.
P.D. I love Dr. Callie Torres, who else does?...
I THINK THAT THE OTHER GUY SHOULD LEAVE TOO.....BUT REALLY NO ONE SHOULD GO WHAT IS GREY'S ANATOMY WITHOUT ALL OF THE CAST.....I MEAN THINK ABOUT IT ,IT'S NOT WORTH WATCHING ANYMORE.
how come Seattle grace loose one of his most important doctor???? who will be the next heart surgery?
I will follow and enjoy this movie is because of the actor-actress forever beloved story. Please don't separate them and honour then a happy ending loving story that everybodies admired. The most important thing is that don't booting him from the cast. Please ....May GOD BLESS YOU
I can't believe that they let him go! I will not be watching any longer.
Burke don't go!!!Christina needs you!!I need you too! I can't live without you!!!!!! I'm dying Dr. Burke~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Burke don't go!!!Christina needs you!!
grey's is getting ridiculous. they are splitting up all the awesome couples and pairing people who are ridiculously matched. Burke and Christina was the only relationship that made sense, and now that will be gone. Grey's had better get better next season or i will be tuning out. please kill gizzie. gross.
We want him to stay and keep acting forever! We Love Him!! Don't let him go, please.(T____T)
I am no longer a fan, dismissing Isiah Washington was a mistake. My son always recorded the episodes for me and even he was interested in the series. Well not anymore, it was bad enough that the latino in the series was screwed over by the "blonde ambition" but she held her own, and of course that character, the female african american doctor and the christina character are the only interesting characters in my opinion. Now the only young african american male is axed!! Ay chihuahua, who's next. Well my family and friends are not waiting around to find. They got rid of George Lopez too, so now back to Direct TV!!!!!
Excellent news to see that Isaiah not returning to Grey's. Maybe that'll give some impetus to improving the storylines and removing the obsession with everyone going out with everyone else.
I'm a huge Grey's fan and i love the character of Burke but as a huge George and T.R. Knight fan I'm not all too sad to see Isiah go.
Slur's of any kind are uncool and for someone in the public eye he should really have thought about what he was going to say before it was said.
So i guess these are the consequences he must face...and lets hope there's a life lesson well learnt!
This is my favorites show.I am a nurse,but let Burke go,I feel so sad.Woo,let Isaiah Washington stay in the show.Christina still need Dr. Burke .
Quote Danac123: "Intolerance of any kind should not be tolerated."

Does anyone else see the painfully obvious contradiction in that sort of thinking? Society seems to put an extreme degree of value on tolerance an political correctness these days. That would be exceedingly wonderful if only people didn't adhere to it so thoughtlessly. Most people don't even seem to know what tolerance means. Tolerance does not mean acceptance, approval, or favor -- it simply means to completely abstain from harmful actions towards whatever you're tolerating. Enforcing tolerance is necessary for a free and democratic society to function. Enforcing approval and acceptance is tyrrany. Sure, Washington using a homophobic slur on a coworker is distasteful and offensive. But so is using any number of swear words like "jerk" or "a**". Why is the former so much worse than the latter? Why does the former cause a media field-day while the latter would've just been forgotten the next day? If someone insulted me for my ethnicity, I'd be just as angry as if he belittled my intelligence. And even if the ethnic insult angered me more, in the end, all the insult did was make me mad. THAT'S ALL, no REAL harm done. The only reason that we should come down on people for using insultes or slurs targeting specific groups (e.g. ethnicity or sexual orientation)is that it suggests a disposition towards discriminatory actions on the part of ther person using the phrase. But if the person sufficiently demonstrates otherwise like Washington has, then there's really no issue here! That they'd cut such an amazing actor, character, and subplot out of the picture over an incident like this is saddening -- even more so because Burke was one of my favorite characters. My bet is that many other viewers feel the same way. Hopefully, if the ratings take a marked decrease next season (which is quite possible) those in charge will see the error of their decision and consider reversing it. Until then, I'm gonna take a break from watching the series and urge anyone who agrees with my position to do the same. Nothing speaks louder to networks and studios than ratings.
Isaiah Washington for me is a great actor and performer, he sure has high skill of acting and can get people touches, and I do believe Christina still need Dr. Burke and he should not be discharge from the sence.
It's pretty sad that Burke will no longer be on Grey's! His and Christina's relationship was so complex, it was always interesting to see. Hopefully, Christina will get a new man (possibly even a female ;)) in her life that won't cause too many problems off screen!
That's just a little too much, the guy has made amends and gone out of his way to show how sorry he is, I wish they hadn't cut him out, i liked him on the show....
danac123, firing a person for being homophobic, or simply a bully is also a form of intolerance.

Tolerance is to accept everyones opinion, including the dumb intolerant ones.

That is why supremacists still function under the law, they might be stupid inbreeding morons, but they have a right to their own opinion and a right to express it.

So does homophobics and bullys.

We don't live in rainbow brite's world, sometimes harsh things are said about you or me or someone else, are you fragile or weak enough to care?, or to need a higher power to defend you and fire a coworker.
I think T.R. Knight should have to go too. He has done his stupid, ignorant talk as well. But I guess that doesn't matter. Favoritism is being shown here obviously, and it all looks like theatrical politics to me. But I know which community would all be up in airs and start stuff all over again. So for myself, this show just lost a loyal viewer. I cannot stand behind a show that chooses to make a decision on bad behaviour, but does not follow through and correct both parties who have behaved badly.
Lets hope it wont make viewers lose interest in the show
wow how not cool. I thought that yang and him were going to get back together. bummer
Intolerance of any kind should not be tolerated. I think the Christina story will be more interesting with Burke gone.
Here I was worried Knight would be leaving too seeing as how they left off his character. Glad he's back. as for Washington, decent actor, great character, but as a person.. not someone I'd want to be around led alone work with. I'm sure the GA set with breathe easier now. As said before there need to be repercussions for actions taken in the workplace. This is no different. It's not about race, it's about Washington being a world class knob.
Good- maybe they will add a new face to the show. Change is good
That sucks! I mean... he and Cristina are the only couple that I liked. It's so unfair... u_u I want him back!
It is important to keep the show moving foreward and cast changes are part of that process. I think the show will move foreward without missing a beat, (example:MASH)and now Patrick Dempsey will have someone new to challenge him for Chief of Surgery (recall Major Winchester competation with Hawkeye).

Losing Chandra Wilson and James Pickens Jr. would have been a greater loss to the show.
McSeeYa LOL that's a good one.I like and hope he to keep on Grey's
Come on people there's no Freedom of speech involved here. You can't say whatever you want at work and not expect consequences. As a matter of fact, if what you say outside of work get noticed by work and reflects badly on them they can usually fire you for that to. So, sure legally you can say what you want anytime you want, but work can fire you anytime they want also so it's your decision. He can't be that smart if he isn't able to contain himself at work or has some anger management issues. Do you think he would have let it slide if someone had called him a derogatory name based on his race at work? Or the more likely scenario would we have had a march on the studio and press conferences to address racial bias in the industry with reverend (insert random bogus preacher here).
Okay, just stop and think about it. If you go to work one day and are having a bad day therefor you physically assault a co-worker and make a sexual slur towards another do you think your boss would allow you to stay even the rest of that day. He's lucky that he even got to stay on as long as he did. Don't get me wrong I love Dr. Burke and will miss seeing him on the show, but after the behind the scenes incident happened I just couldn't watch Grey's and look at him the same way. He's a very talented actor though and I'm sure he'll land on his feet after this is all said and done.
I like Burke and Christina.Don't let Burke go,please.I see the true love on them.
Firing him was major mistake. I for one do not think it will be the same. I will watch the show next season unless I am extremely unhappy with it.
please let him stay~!! i like him!
Definately not a good idea... he brought so much to the show, and how exactly are they gong to explain his absence on grey's? It's going to be a little far-fetched!!

Plus $125,000 per episode for T.R! OMG!!!
He is definitely not as huge of a part as, Patrick Dempsey, for example, to the show. I Do not think he should have been booted, but he is at fault, too. His remark was wrong and uncalled for. But I don't think this was a smart move, and it will not do much good for "Grey's Anatomy"
Leaving the gay issue aside, which in my country is plain silly, gay straight, nerd, indian, black, white, brown, men or women, we don't get that upset with name callings, in the eyes if the rest of the world American political correctness is just an exaggeration, and a distraction from real issues American people should care and protect.

Just considering the show and the characters I really prefer Burke's power plays with Cristina and Shepard than O'malley getting upset cause the girls sleep with him, or getting upset cause his wife is rich... etc.

Come on, there are no straight guys that get upset cause a girlfriend put out. (Remember he plays a straight guy on the show), he just looks like a big girl (I mean the character).

ABC should consider ratings and general preferences before fake family values or scratched dignities, come on, Wife Swap and Desperate Housewives are not exactly the most politically correct shows on TV.
I'm going to miss Burke and Christina. I always thought that their relationship was good. Well, the way that it ended makes it seems that they will be bringing back his character. The only thing that i wish for them to change is removing George. Also, what's up with the choice they made for Chief of Surgery. I think they could have made a better choice
His character was always a major one. But it's his own fault for getting booted, he did something stupid. The show has always made good episodes, I'm sure the producer/writers will think of some way to make the episodes good without him. The show will survive.
It's not racist it's not gay's running America. He insulted and attacked a coworker he's gone end of discussion. Unless you have another motivation at work.
You verbally attack a coworker and physically attack another then you get fired. Plain and simple. It's not a gay thing and it's not a black thing. This would be grounds for ANYONE getting fired ANYWHERE. Just because he's an actor doesn't mean his situation should be any different. I can't believe the ignorance of some people at this site, grow up.
Load More Comments