Eastwick: More Trouble than Bubble

Let's get this out of the way first: I am not part of the target demographic that Eastwick is trying to put under its spell. The adaptation of John Updike's The Witches of Eastwick skews so far female that, after watching the pilot, my estrogen levels are off the charts. But as Desperate Housewives took the Sex and the City format and successfully wrapped it around a murder mystery, Eastwick achieves similar success adding real-world witches to the mix.

That's not to say watching Eastwick isn't like reading Cosmo cover to cover. The show trumpets the idea that a woman's happiness depends on finding just the right guy or getting rid of the worthless guy she's already with -- yet it paints most men as one-dimensional sex-fiends (well, four-dimensional if you also count lazy, abusive, and drunk), and is overstuffed with cheap sexual innuendo ("full-sized SUV," one says of a man's junk when asked to compare it to a car).

But what really matters here, as in all dramas of this type, are the characters. So let's meet the witches:

Rebecca Romijn plays flighty, artsy Roxie, the town's resident cougar. She is bedding a young stud in the form of Matt Dallas (Kyle XY)... which is weird to see for multiple reasons. Roxie has budding psychic powers and a well-established bustline, which we see a lot of (in fact, it's the first thing of hers we see).

Lindsay Price, who was last seen in Lipstick Jungle (and my dreams), is Joanna, the "uptight" and socially awkward Eastwick news reporter whose idea of flirting is talking about vomit and yeast infections. Hey, whatever floats your boat, baby. Joanna has her eye on her coworker Will -- and the two serve as proof that Hollywood can put glasses on any pair of beautiful people and instantly make them quirky yet worth rooting for. But when she takes those specs off and lets her hair down, she discovers she has the power to make men do what she wants. Joanna's transformation is easily the most interesting and entertaining of the bunch.

Jamie Ray Newman rounds out the wiznitches as nurse Kat, the "doormat" of the group who is married to a good-for-nothing, beer-swigging loser who knocked her up when she was young. She seems to have some powers involving the earth (she summons a tremor and can grow really huge tomatoes), she's red-headed, and... well that's about it, as she's the most underdeveloped of the three.

But it wouldn't be Eastwick without some version of Jack Nicholson, and filling those shoes is Canadian Paul Gross. Gross does a good job playing the mysterious Daryl Van Horne -- a man who comes to town and instantly ingratiates himself with the ladies. Of course, all is not as it seems with Daryl, and anyone familiar with the movie or book knows what's coming.

The storytelling is predictable throughout the entire pilot, but Eastwick doesn't aspire to be anything more than silly fun. Unfortunately, it's just not fun enough. The show will certainly have its fans, but not enough to keep it out of Cancel Town, where most ABC dramas have headed in recent years.

Eastwick premieres September 23 (tonight) at 10 pm on ABC.

Sneak Peek: The girls hang out and have some girl talk.

I think that the ladies are finding out what they mean to each other...I mean come on this show would suck if in the first episode they meet each other and are best friends...makes no sense. I think all three ladies can act...they make me laugh. I dont know about the rest of you but Charmed was one of my favorite shows in my 20's and I truely think these ladies can represent now that I am graciously in my 30's. Darryl as the new Cole? Im in!
I , for one, "and I am unanimous in this," watched the first two episodes - and to be honest - I loved it! The first season of any show is always rough, but I think the characters are well thought-out. As for the storyline --not sure how they plan n taking this past one season -- but I'll be along for the ride! If you watch Desperate Housewives and want a little scary in your shows, then odds are you may like this program.
The show was fabulous and the negative naysayers just don't have to stay up and watch it. I thought the characters were amazing together, and realisitc in appearance, not over the top thin. All I've been hearing is how fat Rebbeca Romijn is? Are you kidding? I agree, the model days might be over because she is no longer starved to where she looks like an underfed 8 year old boy, but you can't get more gorgeous than her! Plus, isn't Eastwick, according to the book and movie The Witches of Eastwick, a fictional Rhode Island town? Maybe give women viewers a role model that isn't so Hollywood anorexic? Afterall, the show has a different zip code than size zero, as it's set in New England, not the West Coast. Darryl seems dark in a fun way, and it will be interesting to watch the characters evolve, with the culmination of Darryl turning purely demonic or remaining just evil between the sheets! Anything with magic is fun to watch and worth the hour time slot. Due to Lipstick Jungle's demise, I hope this show gets it's fair shot. It certainly has star staying power, and with the lightening bolt ending, I can't wait to see what else Kat's power can do. Maybe Daryl has some fun enemies from the underworld that are even hotter than he is? This series seems so much more fun than watching a show that takes place in a hospital, behind yellow crime scene tape, or on a street where only 2% of the population could ever afford to live on. It's the perfect fictional escape from everyday reality, and worth every minute. The only fault I saw was that it wasn't commercial free.
I watched it tonight thumbs down it well I can't write it here lol I guess I will go back to CSI:NY
I like Joanna, that's original, but this does sound like a Charmed knockoff and that ceased to interest me after a couple years, so I think, knowing ABC's rep for cancelling the shows I like, I think I'll stay out of trouble here and not watch it so I don't get attached.
Ok, just watching that trailer tells me Eastwick is gonna suck. The girls have no chemistry whatsoever. They should have spent the money extending Charmed, now THAT was a fantastic show about witches.
Eatswick could be great... but after Charmed i actually dont expect much Charmed was awsome i hope this Tv show can, if its not better, at least get to Charmed shoes

XO XO

:):):):)
@ JL
Ummm... it's a review.
Once again, thanks for shoving your opinion down our throats tv.com