Emmys 2012: Nomination Snubs and Surprises, But Mostly Snubs

Well, well, well, Emmys. You've done it again. The 64th Primetime Emmy nominations were announced today with all the pizazz of leftover meatloaf, as several worthy names were excluded and pleasant surprises were nonexistent. The main categories were log-jammed with familiar shows, loopholes in the system helped regular series dominate the miniseries category, and... SNUBS! SNUBS! SNUBS! Remember last year how we all got excited when Peter Dinklage was nominated? Well, this year's Dinklage is... Joanne Froggatt from Downton Abbey. No disrespect to her, but the sizzle in this year's noms was definitely lacking.

Just like every other year, most of your favorite shows didn't make the cut and your favorite actors are sobbing their eyes out over a cup of expensive coffee spiked with some Irish whiskey after learning they weren't nominated. Did we expect anything different? No, so let's do what we do best and complain! Here's what went wrong with this year's nominations.

No Louie for Outstanding Comedy Series
Sorry for the Neanderthal language, but this is just plain stupid. Like last year, Louis C.K. was nominated for best actor, but leaving the series off the list of best comedies is stupid stupid stupid. The show earned a nomination for Outstanding Writing, Outstanding Directing, and Outstanding Actor, but Emmy voters couldn't pull the trigger and include it in Outstanding Series? So you like everything about the series, but hey 30 Rock and The Big Bang Theory are familiar?! Emmy voters, you suck. However, it should be noted that because of his stand-up special Louis C.K. Live at the Beacon Theater, Louis C.K. got something like half-a-dozen individual Emmy nominations, so we can't feel too sorry for him.

Close-mindedness on Enlightened
The goldfish memories of Emmy voters neglected the incredible HBO comedy—which finished its first season in December—and instead chose the fresher Veep and Girls for Outstanding Comedy. The Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy series has seven nominees (SEVEN!!!), and none of them are Laura Dern, who not only should be on the list but completely deserves to win (she won the Golden Globe earlier this year).

Community, too innovative for the boring old Emmys!
Network TV's best comedy scared the dentures off Emmy voters with something they just can't stand: originality. Though no one actually expected the series to be nominated, this is the one that would have sent many of us home happy. And let's not forget that Danny Pudi, Jim Rash, and Gillian Jacobs weren't nominated so that the entire cast of Modern Family could be. At least the show was nominated in the Outstanding Writing category, however, for the amazing "Remedial Chaos Theory."

The F.U. to FX dramas
Sons of Anarchy and Justified were eligible this year right? So where were they this morning? SoA's Katey Sagal and Maggie Siff and Justified's Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, and Neal McDonough have major beefs. We're still waiting for Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter's c-word tirade on Twitter. Justified sneaked in an acting nod for Jeremy Davies, but he had to enter as a guest actor to get it.

This "miniseries" bullshit
Missing is a miniseries, allowing Ashley Judd to earn an acting nomination? American Horror Story is a miniseries, giving it a leading 17 nominations? Downton Abbey isn't a miniseries anymore, even though it was last year? Stop the madness and the cheating!

A no-no for Noble
We love John Noble on Fringe. Unfortunately, he doesn't exist to the Emmys. A Noble nomination was a stretch, but not because he wasn't deserving. And even though we knew that going in, it doesn't mean we can't be pissed about it.

No writing nominations for Breaking Bad
I mean, it's only the best written show on television. Instead, Mad Men takes three of the five nominations. Dave Porter probably should have received a nomination for his score, too.

The rest
Snubs for: Parks and Recreation and its 'stached attraction Nick Offerman, Happy Endings' Casey Wilson, The Good Wife, American Idol, Jeff Probst, Mad Men's John Slattery, Revenge's Madeleine Stowe and Emily VanCamp, Boss's Kelsey Grammer, The Big C's Laura Linney, Luck, Awake and Jason Isaacs, Homeland's Mandy Patinkin, Awkward.'s Ashley Rickards, and on and on and on.

Anyway, let's turn our frowns the other way around and end on a good note by talking about what this year's Emmy nominations did get right. Though the nominees for Outstanding Comedy are atrocious, I'm not going to argue with the nominees in the Outstanding Drama category. Giancarlo Esposito as a first-time nominee for his work as Gus Fring in Breaking Bad is well deserved, and 13 nominations for the series ain't too shabby. And Sherlock deserves everything it's nominated for in the miniseries division.

What do you think the Emmys got wrong this year?

RELATED STORIES:
Emmys 2012: Downton Abbey, Modern Family, and Mad Men Lead the Ho-Hum Nominees
Emmys 2012: Who WE Would Nominate
Emmys 2012: And (We Think) the Nominees Will Be...

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Enlightened and Boss hurt my brain to watch! I'm glad there is enough shows to choose from and the public, and not the critics, are being listened too or the show dies!

I hope Hell on Wheels dies also!
I agree that there is A LOT of good tv out there & its hard to narrow it down to just few with so many great show's that encompass a large spectrum of genre's. I've always felt that show's on network tv should not be competing against shows on cable. How can they? The canvas is hardly the same. While I would say that acting and writing for cable is more liberal and therefore allows an actor to fully spread their wings on the other side it must be harder (therefore better acting?) to have to conform to the constraints of network tv by having to please the FCC, affiliates, advertisers & a much larger & often more conservative audience. Imagine all those snubbed that could potentially be included in nominations if they separated cable vs network? However with that would also mean a longer EMMY show which is unlikely to satisfy anyone, well except maybe advertisers.
Lets get a few things unanimous.

1) Breaking Bad is the best damn show on television.

2) There are two comedies that are better and funnier than Modern Family. Community and Louie.

3) Award shows are a waste of time. Emmys are just a waste. Period.
The real problem is this: 63 years ago when the Emmys were first awarded there were very few shows on the air. So, the awards weren't much of a surprise when there isn't that much to choose from. Now, there are thousands of good shows on TV, there are hundreds of very good shows, and a few dozen top notch REALLY great shows. So, there's TOO MUCH choice. If there are 20 outstandingly well written shows on TV, there's always going to be a bunch of snubs when the categories only have 5 nominations. Also, each category should have ONLY 5 nominations, no more, no less.

With the category of Outstanding Writing. There should only be allowed ONE from a show. Yes, yes, if there 3 episodes that are so well written from one show that are better than other shows' episodes then you might say well they should be there an the others should not. Well, I disagree. If that was the case, then the best of those three would easily win against the others. We'd have a broader sense of the nominations and the deserving winner would still win. Fewer snubs in the nominations would occur (Since we seem to put more anger into the nominations that the actual outcome)
There are so many things wrong with these nominations but Wow! It amazes me how each year, they manage to completely ignore Castle, almost as if it never even existed. Classic Emmys, and most award shows- I expect nothing more!
Breaking Bad not being nominated for best writing. Absolute joke.
I don't watch any of these shows, so I don't care. None of them are worth my time when I'd rather be reading a book or watching Science Channel or NatGeo. HOWEVER, I do watch Fringe, and yes, John Noble and Anna Torv have been robbed over and over again. Sorry to sound like a snob, but I have never been a situation comedy person and, am I the only person on the planet who hates Mad Men?
lol...you`re not...i dont watch mad men nor most of the comedies that run on tv but i also love Fringe so you are not alone...
i can't take an award show seriously that doesn't recognize danny pudi or john noble. leaving out community in general is a crock but these actors are sublime.
The rule is simple: if you have more than 4 episodes and/or are expected to go back next year, YOU STOP BEING A MINISERIES. That's it - it's not even close to being a brain-teaser.

Anyway... nobody should really be surprised by all this - we've all known for years that the Emmys suck monkey-balls. And it's not even going to be fun watching it. It's really too bad all of the people behind this supposed celebration of television actually never watch it, but it is what it is.
I was initially surprised how many comments here reflected indifference towards the Emmys, but after further reflection I have to agree. While I would like to catch up with Mad and Breaking Bad and may give Parks & Rec. another try, I intend to catch with the fun stuff too. Specifically, Vampire Diaries, Revenge and Grimm.
Nathan Fillion, Timothy Olyphant, John Nobel, and Nick Offerman all deserved nominations. Of course, Community deserved more than just a nom, but the EMMY for best comedy series.
In some ways I think the Emmys and the Oscars are opposite ends of the spectrum. The Emmys nominate only the popular stuff, with no true nods going to shows/actors that are truly worthy even if their show is less well-known. The Oscars, on the other hand, goes almost entirely for what the critics fancy or find politically correct.
further thoughts, as far as comedy goes, I think the Emmys did great. The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are the two funniest shows on TV. As far as drama goes, Justified deserved far more love and Game of Thrones deserved even more than it got. It would be nice if there was a lot more love for sci-fi and fantasy shows in general. The nominations for Sherlock Holmes were definitely well earned as were those for Homeland.
I am interested to know this actually, and I am not intending to have a go at you or get angry or what ever, because it is pointless, but do you genuinely think that The Big Bang Theory is funnier than all other comedies apart from Modern Family? Do you honestly believe it is funnier than Community? I am really honestly interested in why you think that.
Oh John Noble...will he ever get what he rightly deserves? :/
With the exception of the annual snub of John Noble, I think the Emmy voters did a great job. Looking forward to Emmy night.
Just realize awards shows are BS and move on - I'm still pissed about Fox canceling Human Target - 25 episodes for the rest of our lives, c'mon...
Human Target was SUPER AWESOME
Screw the Emmys! What about a peoples vote, we can make it bigger and more credible than the Emmys ever were!
Uh, The People's Choice Awards - Duh...
Well there u go, i live in australia. never heard of it. so stick ur 'duh' up ur arse.
Yeah Merritt Wever. You can bitch about whomever you want not making Supporting Actress list but Wever is the ball of sunshine in a very depressing show and its nice to see the dumb Academy recognize Edie Falco isn't the only person making "Nurse Jackie" a great show.

On the other hand, "The Good Wife"'s Supp Actress noms make my skin crawl a little bit. This should have been the year Maggie Siff got a nomination. This should have been the year Viva Bianca got a nomination (her last chance for her greatest performance). This should have been the year Rose Byrne actually competed to win Best Supp Actress as "Damages" was awesome and her performance was great. For Best Actress to Not include Lucy Lawless is just an injustice. She was brilliant and Kathy Bates and Juliana Margulies are just working on boring legal procedurals and Elizabeth Moss isn't a lead, she's a bit player. Lawless will never have been nominated as "Lucretia Batiatus" and she took this character into death with skill that Moss doesn't even have. Ditto for Emmy Rossum's wonderful work as "Fiona Gallagher". "Shameless" is a Drama on Showtime that is actually good - for them to keep recognizing the pile of dreck that "Dexter" has become is unphathomable. Also, keep closing the door on Katey Sagal. Her performance as "Gemma Teller-Morrow" gets better and better and she doesn't need your worthless honor. "Mad Men" was dumb this entire season yet it keeps racking up award nominations -- it must be nice to be as rich as Matt Weiner to keep loading the ballots even when he produces garbage.

Why can't Jason Priestly compete for Best Actor in a Comedy for "Call Me Fitz" that also airs on DirecTV. "Richard Fitzpatrick" is one of the greatest characters on television anywhere. I realize its a Canadian import but it is airing here in its entirety on the Audience network ("Damages" is competing) and its Priestly's best role ever. Its a warped version of "Californication" but Priestly's character is just better written than Hank Moody and its supporting cast is 1000x better. Its funnier than any American show about a dysfunctional family. (Looking at the snooze fest that is "Modern Family".) Also, how can these imbeciles nominate Zooey Deschanel but ignore Kristen Ritter who is both gorgeous (makes Deschanel look like a scuffed shoe) and incredibly FUNNY. Shouldn't that be a qualification for Best Actress Comedy? And why aren't Jason Gann and Elijah Wood nominated in the acting categories for comedy - they are doing comedy better than most. Wood is better than anyone in Supporting Actor PERIOD and Gann should be competing with his network partner Louis CK and Larry David and Don Cheadle. Alec Baldwin, Jim Parsons, and John Cryer couldn't hold Gann's dog dish.

Who gives a crap who wins, these nominations are bull$%^t.

Peace!
Rose Byrne rocks that show!
It's just completely uninteresting when you can predict 90% of the nominees based on the last five years. I agree that the comedy category is outrageous in particular. And on a sidenote, why the hell is Peter Dinklage in the supporting actor category anyway (thrilled that he's got a nom at all though, don't get me wrong)?Is Game of Thrones not eligible in the lead actor category for some reason?
Where have you gone John Laroquette?
this is why I don't watch any awards shows, I have done since 1995 I have my reasons, this article Tim I do agree with 100 percent
And I've never ever been able to sit through Five Easy Pieces...
1977 - Annie Hall beats Star Wars and Killing Me Softly beats American Pie - I rest my case...
For me the biggest oversight was not nominating Andrew Lincoln or Jon Bernthal for The Walking Dead. Huge oversight, this series is amazing and continues to deliver in acting, writing, directing and I just don't get why Sci-fi and Horror are always overlooked genres at award shows. I also agree with Tim about Fringe's John Noble, as Walter Bishop he continues to bring it, and so does Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham she had an amazing season.
Its true that they frequently shy away from Science Fiction & Horror as I'm still never going to validate an award that never acknowledged Battlestar Galactica (2003) excellence. However this season they decided to go against their usual Sci-Fi bias and American Horror Story is leading the pack in noms. Maybe its because they have in the past shown a lot of love for Ryan Murphy or maybe because all awards shows are drawn to Jessica Lange.
Terrible nominations crept main drama. Sleeper I like Schmidt on new girl. Makes the show
Academy members vote in their own category. For example actors vote in the actor's category, and writers vote for writers. So I suppose one must do some politicking to get noticed, especially in the case of actors in lesser known shows. This is also why the big shows and the same actors get nominated over and over again, even though they might not deserve it as much as others. It also means that performances, like that of John Noble's, are often overlooked because sci-fi shows are not considered award-worthy. A good performance is a good performance, no matter what series it comes from. To academy members: could you try to be more open minded, before the Emmys really become mind-numbingly boring.
the emmys can go screw themselves. noble and issacs deserve nominations.
Jasson Issacs and Awake... Robbed / John Noble and Fringe Robbed ...I pretty much agree with everything mentioned and I think Shameless desevered alot more recognition too especially the performance of Jeremy Allen White as Lip.
The Emmys is innately flawed in that it allows the nominees to decide what category they fall under. So shows will try to pull of all kinds of sneaky maneuvers to maximize their haul of nominees. Like "Oh I'm not a lead actor, even though half the show revolves around me and I'm in every episode-I'm a supporting actor!" or "This show has no chance whatsoever on getting a nomination in Best Drama Series, because frankly, it's not that great. But if we call it a miniseries, we can easily get a nomination! Sweet!"
Second you on Sherlock and Breaking Bad
no Hugh Laurie or John Noble for the best actor? what world are we living in

House hasn't been good for a while now.
Like since the 2nd season...
House may have gotten a bit stale, but the second half of its last season was the strongest it's been in a while and Hugh Laurie was still carrying that show with amazing talent. He certainly should have gotten a nod over Michael C. Hall this year.
What a load of bull. Some shows get a billion nominations while Anna Torv and John Noble get zero recognition. What a load of bull.
Those of us who watch them work feel your pain. Unfortunatley there's only just over 3,000,000 of us...
At one time a mini-series was any series that ran less than a full season of 20+ episodes. But there's so many shows now that are running only 13 episodes a season. And few British shows run longer than 13 episodes each season. And with so many shows now that run 13 episodes there's going to be a lot of competition for the slot, especially from cancelled shows that the critics liked. But I suspect that the mini-series category will be revised for next year to prevent short regular series from getting the nominations.
I was really hoping Jane Krakowshi would finally win an Emmy this year. She really is long overdue an Emmy for Jenna Maroney!
I just scream Sherlock at everyone. I feel like I'm the only one in on the best show on TV. Besides Community and all the rest.
So the Emmys are basically irrelevant now. No John Noble, no Breaking Bad, no SAMCRO, no Community, etc.? You've got to be kidding me. Fuck them, fuck the Emmys, it no longer fucking means anything if quality fucking TV is fucking excluded.
They've been irrelevant for a long time. Why do you people care????
No Breaking Bad?

I wouldn't say that 13 nominations is "no Breaking Bad".

However, agreed with the rest.
Big Bang Theory gets nominated but Community is left out? Who cares about an original show? Lets give copycats some awards!
Big Bang is so much better than Community and so is Modern Family But I think The Bee in 23 is a real comer...
I hope this is some sort of awful joke (which would be perfect for The Big Bang Theory).
Are you some sort of moron? The Big Bang theory is an original show just like Community.
Definately a moron - good call...
Yeh, I don't know where "copycat" comes from. Offhand I can't think of many "nerd sitcoms" I think there was 1 or 2, but I didn't watch them.

Though: Big Bang does follow the footsteps of a more traditional sitcom, while Community is pretty "out there"
Hear here...
Enlightenment was not funny! If that got a nomination for comedy, I would be appalled.
I don't understand how anyone except for Laura Dern's mother got past the first episode. I waited and waited and it just sucked...
Emmy's you piece of SHIT! I can't believe these Fucks get paid to vote for bullshit.
So, much like network television, the Emmys have decided not to even attempt to be relevant. Its like they actually try to mostly nominate things that used to be good. So what's the award that will be replacing the Emmys? Or will they just fade along with the medium, making the Streamys the new award that matters?
This year's list of nominees for the creative awards like writing and directing were truly baffling. They didn't even pick the best episodes for either direction or writing for Homeland. Veep deserved half of those nominations in writing, and at least one in directing.

Community is highly overrated. Still it is pretty good. I don't think it was that great to actually be nominated for Best Comedy, but I haven't seen all the contenders so who's to say. I'm very happy with Veep's and Girls' nominations though. And I'm glad Lena Dunham got some attention with her directorial skills on She Did. There's some good there, but I can see Emmy voters are still watching only Mad Men and Downton Abbey it seems. I'm also glad New Girl wasn't nominated for Best Comedy. That would have been bad.

It's a decent list. I just expected more.
Very perceptive...
Who is HBO paying on the Emmy committee?
I urge everyone to please boycott the Emmys. The people who come up with the nominations wouldn't know talent if it walked up and bit then in the ass. Once more John Noble gets screwed over by these jackasses. So UP YOURS! Emmy a**holes. I certainly won't be watching.
Sorry but I can't boycott something I'm already boycotting...
You know the Emmys are retarded when Sherlock shows up on the nomination list, but not anyone or anything that actually DESERVES awards. Excited about Peter Dinklage, Louis C.K. and Jeremy Davies though...
Sherlock totally deserves Emmys. It's actually incredible.
It's actually garbage, and has made me really ponder what crap people will watch and call "incredible".
Pretty typical, the best shows always get snubbed and the same average shows (i.e. Modern Family) get nominated every year. Screw the Emmys.
Its so not fair to the people who work their guts out and in return they get nothing. We all know how hard they work and how well they do their job. I take my hat off to all of them and give my middle finger to the Emmys.
it's always the same shows... and Fringe is over after next year so there's only one more change for Noble and Torv (2 extremely worthy actors) to be recognized for their work on that show.
Screw the Emmys, this year they became way too ridiculous to care about them anymore.
Not this year but for a long time...
Pathetic! Really an insult to many more deserving actors and shows!
Gee, I wonder what will happen if Community or Parks and Rec got nominated ? It will gain more popularity, forcing more executive meddling on them, basically ruining their greatness. Community and Parks and Rec are for the niches and i like it that way. No need to overexposing it with pesky awards nominations.
I wonder if the reason Game of Thrones wasn't nominated more is down to discrimination, it's an American made series, but most of the cast are British.

British stars are nominated, but for British made series.

Just a thought.
The Wire never won a single award. Now that was a snub.
When I talked to the people over at Castle Rock they told me they were Gumped - referring to The Shawshank Redemption being slarughtered at the Academy Awards by Forrest Gump...
Oh Emmys, I can't take them seriously. The Critics' Choice TV Awards and the PAAFTJ awards get everything right that they get wrong because those two award shows have voting panels consisting of TV critics.
Load More Comments